PDA

View Full Version : Ted On Chopping Block?!

pbmax
11-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Poll question is about who is likelier to return after this season, not who you would prefer to see pitched over the side.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/packers-firing-mike-mccarthy-would-be-a-surprise-front-office-changes-in-play/

Jason La Canfora has the team doing an internal review and the anonymous source(s), who would not be quoted, say Ted is under as much review as M3, if not more. They also take issue with recent drafts, odd, because he has had two good ones in a row. This, being an Executive Committee, I take to mean he hasn't found a Jordy replacement.

In fact, the sources mumbling behind the hedges say they don't think Aaron Rodgers would support a change in Head Coach. They also seem to believe they can force staff changes on McCarthy. This is either the Steelers or the Browns mode of operations and trust me, you can't know the wisdom of the result until a decade is past and either Bill Cowher or Bob Slowik is your Head Coach.

So who do you believe, JLC and his hedge muse or Mike Florio and his Talmudic parsing of Rodgers language?

Joemailman
11-20-2016, 08:39 AM
Poll question is about who is likelier to return after this season, not who you would prefer to see pitched over the side.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/packers-firing-mike-mccarthy-would-be-a-surprise-front-office-changes-in-play/

Jason La Canfora has the team doing an internal review and the anonymous source(s), who would not be quoted, say Ted is under as much review as M3, if not more. They also take issue with recent drafts, odd, because he has had two good ones in a row. This, being an Executive Committee, I take to mean he hasn't found a Jordy replacement.

In fact, the sources mumbling behind the hedges say they don't think Aaron Rodgers would support a change in Head Coach. They also seem to believe they can force staff changes on McCarthy. This is either the Steelers or the Browns mode of operations and trust me, you can't know the wisdom of the result until a decade is past and either Bill Cowher or Bob Slowik is your Head Coach.

So who do you believe, JLC and his hedge muse or Mike Florio and his Talmudic parsing of Rodgers language?

Can we really say he's had 2 good drafts in a row? I think it's too early. Some promise, but a lot of inconsistency. What player(s) from the last 2 drafts look like impact players?

If a change is to be made, I favor hiring a new GM and letting him pick his coach over Thompson firing McCarthy. And above all else, don't let the QB decide who the coach will be.

TT once traded an aging Brett Favre in part because he had a talented young QB waiting in the wings. Could Mark Murphy now make the same kind of decision with the GM job?

Joemailman
11-20-2016, 08:43 AM
Post # 18,000

I voted Thompson because I don't think he'll fire McCarthy. But if Thompson is gone, I think McCarthy may well be gone also.

pbmax
11-20-2016, 08:51 AM
Post # 18,000

I voted Thompson because I don't think he'll fire McCarthy. But if Thompson is gone, I think McCarthy may well be gone also.

That is one problem with Eliot Wolf hire. Unless he has outside option, does he hold out for total control in his first job as GM?

pbmax
11-20-2016, 09:00 AM
Can we really say he's had 2 good drafts in a row? I think it's too early. Some promise, but a lot of inconsistency. What player(s) from the last 2 drafts look like impact players?

If a change is to be made, I favor hiring a new GM and letting him pick his coach over Thompson firing McCarthy. And above all else, don't let the QB decide who the coach will be.

TT once traded an aging Brett Favre in part because he had a talented young QB waiting in the wings. Could Mark Murphy now make the same kind of decision with the GM job?

I like both tackles from this draft. Impact players? Springs will be one at Left Tackle. I like Davis as well. Blake Martinez is the answer at ILB that we have been asking for 8 years. Until we lost all the CBs, he was the piece that made the D a top ten unit. He had an impact even if his top end talent level isn't All-Pro. And I think Clark will start and be good as nose tackle. That was a need pick in an emergency situation (Raji retires rather than resign) but he does he look like he can anchor, he also seems to have some pass rush.

I like both Randall and Rollins. Maybe not as much as Casey Hayward this season, but I think they will both be very good, especially Randall. That is your shutdown corner of the future and if its not him it might be Gunter who was a huge find. Montgomery might be the only skill position player who will be an impact player besides future Hundley who is your 3rd Pro Bowl QB in a row. Ryan and Ripper are good enough to start for a Super Bowl team even if neither plays all three downs.

Now part of the problem being addressed here is that Ted had some holes develop during his 2011-12-13 downturn. He got some good players (esp. 12) but too many of those guys weren't even backup quality.

pbmax
11-20-2016, 09:02 AM
Silverstein doesn't agree. https://t.co/2zpk9scghB

Joemailman
11-20-2016, 09:08 AM
I like both tackles from this draft. Impact players? Springs will be one at Left Tackle.

That's what I thought until they gave Bakh left Tackle money. Will they move him inside? He would become an awfully expensive Guard. Which brings us to a Thompson issue. Has he overpaid to keep guys like Cobb and Bakh here?

texaspackerbacker
11-20-2016, 09:08 AM
Thompson damn well better be under fire. He has done a shitty job of maximizing the Packers team. We have had - and still have - the world's greatest QB, and Ted has absolutely NOT built a good supporting cast around him. It's a damn shame that they have frittered away so many of Rodgers' great years with good, but not great success. I think Aaron Rodgers has 5, maybe as much as 7 or 8 more excellent years. Let's get rid of Ted and Mike both and make the most of that remaining time.

I'm not real thrilled about the idea of Elliot Wolf either. I'm afraid he (or anybody else the Murphy and Packer power structure might like) would be way too similar to Thompson.

I absolutely hate using the word "conservative" to describe hyper-cautious behavior in sports and otherwise, but whatever you call it, Ted - and probably Murphy and whoever pulls his strings all are afflicted with that mindset.

To answer the poll: Both SHOULD be gone; Neither WILL be gone.

pbmax
11-20-2016, 09:16 AM
That's what I thought until they gave Bakh left Tackle money. Will they move him inside? He would become an awfully expensive Guard. Which brings us to a Thompson issue. Has he overpaid to keep guys like Cobb and Bakh here?

Cobb yes, but that is obvious only in retrospect.

Bach has a chronic injury and is not prototypical size for a Left Tackle. I could see a short career there. I could also see him playing RT as well as Bulaga. So Spriggs will supplant him before that deal is done. Bach is not overpaid for the season he is having, but he needs to stay healthy. You could read Bach's contract as a vote of no confidence in Spriggs, but he was not going to be ready his first year no matter the body in front of him.

Springs needs to get stronger and learn to deal with speed. Not unusual.

denverYooper
11-20-2016, 09:37 AM
Elliott Wolf is staging a coup?

Joemailman
11-20-2016, 09:41 AM
Elliott Wolf is the son of Ron Wolf and the underling of Ted Thompson. In terms of free agency, I wonder who he would emulate more.

Harlan Huckleby
11-20-2016, 09:59 AM
This is a "Do you still beat your wife?" poll. How about a poll asking whether you prefer a penis in your mouth or anus?

I'll not participate in this smearing of our great leaders.

Pugger
11-20-2016, 10:07 AM
Unless the team continues to play like garbage the rest of the way nobody is going anywhere. If the team really goes to hell between now and January they both could be given pink slips.

pbmax
11-20-2016, 10:24 AM
The more fans clamor for Eliot Wolf the more I fear the pick. Yes, a guy has to get his first chance somewhere, but what exactly are his qualifications beside the name?

The best thing I know about him is that Thomspon seems to like him.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-20-2016, 10:47 AM
Thompson damn well better be under fire. He has done a shitty job of maximizing the Packers team. We have had - and still have - the world's greatest QB, and Ted has absolutely NOT built a good supporting cast around him. It's a damn shame that they have frittered away so many of Rodgers' great years with good, but not great success. I think Aaron Rodgers has 5, maybe as much as 7 or 8 more excellent years. Let's get rid of Ted and Mike both and make the most of that remaining time.

I'm not real thrilled about the idea of Elliot Wolf either. I'm afraid he (or anybody else the Murphy and Packer power structure might like) would be way too similar to Thompson.

I absolutely hate using the word "conservative" to describe hyper-cautious behavior in sports and otherwise, but whatever you call it, Ted - and probably Murphy and whoever pulls his strings all are afflicted with that mindset.

Well said, Tex.

The Polar Bear should've gotten the Louis XVI treatment a long fuckin' time ago, but last and this seasons are definite proofs that Thompson is the mother of incompetence.

BZnDallas
11-20-2016, 10:53 AM

I understand how you feel here Tex. But that is exactly the reason why I want Elliot. I don't want a lot of turmoil in this thing. This team has talent. Unfortunately I just don't think it's being used correctly. And that starts at the top as well, with TT. I really like the draft and develop philosophy, and I would hope Elliot would keep and run it. What I don't agree with is the way TT approaches free agency. Give me the draft and develop system with a GM willing to be a bit more active in FA, and I think you have a great system. That's what I hope for in Elliot.
If I'm Elliot, my next move is to tell MM I'd like to keep him on as HC. But he needs to fire Dom, and tell Dom we're going in another direction. I give MM another year with hopefully another 'draft and develop' '17 draft and a couple of additions through FA. If we're still having problems after that, it might be time to get rid of MM. Super Bowl winning coaches get a little bit longer of a leash.

pbmax
11-20-2016, 10:57 AM
Lombardi's coattails?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxuFhRQXUAA2iGB.jpg:large

Anti-Polar Bear
11-20-2016, 10:58 AM
I like both Randall and Rollins. Maybe not as much as Casey Hayward this season, but I think they will both be very good, especially Randall. That is your shutdown corner of the future and if its not him it might be Gunter who was a huge find.

You appear to know many things about football, but corner ain't one of them.

Randall and Gunter, future shutdown corners? Yeah, and Joe Callahan is the next Drew Brees.

Gunter Randall, and Rollins all suck. Hyde is the only corner in the entire NFL who sucks worse than 'em trio of pussycats.

pbmax
11-20-2016, 11:01 AM

Randall and Gunter, future shutdown corners? Yeah, and Joe Callahan is the next Drew Brees.

Gunter Randall, and Rollins all suck.

Don't agree at all. Randall has had some excellent stretches despite being tested opposite Shields. This year has been lost for him so far.

Rollins can make it work though I think he is best as an inside guy.

Gunter is all over the place, but he has been getting better. He's got great size but needs a lot of technique work especially when receiver heads deep.

BZnDallas
11-20-2016, 11:03 AM

Gunter Randall, and Rollins all suck.

Sam Shields was a P.O.S. too, its not like he needed any time to develop. But yeah to some learning and sucking look the same.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-20-2016, 11:04 AM
This is a "Do you still beat your wife?" poll. How about a poll asking whether you prefer a penis in your mouth or anus?

lol

Anti-Polar Bear
11-20-2016, 11:14 AM
I understand how you feel here Tex. But that is exactly the reason why I want Elliot. I don't want a lot of turmoil in this thing. This team has talent. Unfortunately I just don't think it's being used correctly. And that starts at the top as well, with TT. I really like the draft and develop philosophy, and I would hope Elliot would keep and run it. What I don't agree with is the way TT approaches free agency. Give me the draft and develop system with a GM willing to be a bit more active in FA, and I think you have a great system. That's what I hope for in Elliot.
If I'm Elliot, my next move is to tell MM I'd like to keep him on as HC. But he needs to fire Dom, and tell Dom we're going in another direction. I give MM another year with hopefully another 'draft and develop' '17 draft and a couple of additions through FA. If we're still having problems after that, it might be time to get rid of MM. Super Bowl winning coaches get a little bit longer of a leash.

Concur with your statement regarding Capers. Capers deserves the Louis XVI treatment.

Capers knows first-hand that Hyde, Gunter, Rollins, Randall, Goodson, Dix, Burnett, and pretty much all of Ted's pussycat ILBers can't cover anyone on an island. Yet, he continues putting them in mano-a-mano situations. Mind-boggling. I know, you can't double team them all, but why the fuck is Hyde still covering opponents on an island? Dix and Burenett can't cover TEs worth a lick.

BZnDallas
11-20-2016, 11:17 AM
Concur with your statement regarding Capers. Capers deserves the Louis XVI treatment.

Capers knows first-hand that Hyde, Gunter, Rollins, Randall, Goodson, Dix, Burnett, and pretty much all of Ted's pussycat ILBers can't cover anyone on an island. Yet, he continues putting them in mano-a-mano situations. Mind-boggling. I know, you can't double team them all, but why the fuck is Hyde still covering opponents on an island? Dix and Burenett can't cover TEs worth a lick.

That sir, we can both agree on. Tired of watching that mess.

pbmax
11-20-2016, 11:27 AM
Dix, Hyde and Burnett are covering RB and TEs one on one in part because the outside guys have all needed help since injuries struck. This is just the same argument as last year when the entire WR corp was banged up and people were complaining about how terrible they were performing. This year they lost Shields, Randall and Rollins, the top three starters. Its take a long while for that to get better.

Martinez has been pretty reliable versus backs, Ryan is a notch below.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-20-2016, 11:29 AM
Don't agree at all. Randall has had some excellent stretches despite being tested opposite Shields. This year has been lost for him so far.

Rollins can make it work though I think he is best as an inside guy.

Gunter is all over the place, but he has been getting better. He's got great size but needs a lot of technique work especially when receiver heads deep.

You can't teach speed, as the saying goes. Gunter will always be slow. He's gonna need to get to Al Harris level, technique-wise, if he wants to be more than just a bum. Would I take Gunter over Hyde? Sure. But there's nothing special about the guy; like Hyde, he's simply an easy target every time opponents need to move the chain or score a TD.

Randall and Rollins would make a great law firm name. But after watching Randell get slaughtered for 200 yards against some so-so receiver, and Rollins getting benched at Tenn, I am confident they will be busts. Time will prove me right. Just bump up this post in, say, three years. :)

pbmax
11-20-2016, 11:36 AM
You can't teach speed, as the saying goes. Gunter will always be slow. He's gonna need to get to Al Harris level, technique-wise, if he wants to be more than just a bum. Would I take Gunter over Hyde? Sure. But there's nothing special about the guy; like Hyde, he's simply an easy target every time opponents need to move the chain or score a TD.

Randall and Rollins would make a great law firm name. But after watching Randell get slaughtered for 200 yards against some so-so receiver, and Rollins getting benched at Tenn, I am confident they will be busts. Time will prove me right. Just bump up this post in, say, three years. :)

Was Rollins first game back from injury and he's better inside.

Not worried about a corner having one terrible game. Randall showed a lot last year.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-20-2016, 11:42 AM
Dix, Hyde and Burnett are covering RB and TEs one on one in part because the outside guys have all needed help since injuries struck. This is just the same argument as last year when the entire WR corp was banged up and people were complaining about how terrible they were performing. This year they lost Shields, Randall and Rollins, the top three starters. Its take a long while for that to get better.

Martinez has been pretty reliable versus backs, Ryan is a notch below.

Regardless of the injuries at CB, Hyde, Burnett and Dix all pretty much have proved that they can't cover. Period.

If Thompson had drafted Harrison Smith instead of Nick "Katy" Perry, we wouldn't be having the conversation. Just another reason Thompson deserves the Louis XVI treatment.

Maxie the Taxi
11-20-2016, 11:53 AM
I'm with Harlan. The poll is fatally flawed.

Will Elliot Wolf continue our Draft and Develop policy, or will he enter the FA market with gusto as his father did? IMO we have to supplement our Draft and Develop system with a more aggressive FA policy. Such a change might also necessitate a coaching philosophy less fundamental than Stubby's.

pbmax
11-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Regardless of the injuries at CB, Hyde, Burnett and Dix all pretty much have proved that they can't cover. Period.

If Thompson had drafted Harrison Smith instead of Nick "Katy" Perry, we wouldn't be having the conversation. Just another reason Thompson deserves the Louis XVI treatment.

You wouldn't be having this conversation but you would wonder where the pass rush had gone and why teams find it so easy to limit Matthews.

pbmax
11-20-2016, 02:00 PM
What is the fatal flaw of the poll?

Its just asking who is likelier to get the heave-ho after differing stories have hit the press. Its not asking for you prediction about the exact sequence of events, nor is it asking for your preferred outcome.

It wants to know who you think Murphy and the Exec Committee would move first given recent press reports.

BTW, JLC is not a normal Packer source. If this was McCarthy (and I don't think it was), it would come from RapSheet. I don't think Thompson leaks, but when Favre hit the fan, JLC did get some tidbits, presumably from the Packer PR shop. I think this is from inside the Exec committee, or at least someone who knows someone high up.

Doesn't make it any more than scuttlebutt, but I doubt its a Football Operations or a coaching source. Might be those pip-squeaks from Kohler worried about their motel.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-20-2016, 02:34 PM
You wouldn't be having this conversation but you would wonder where the pass rush had gone and why teams find it so easy to limit Matthews.

I think Claymaker is an elite OLB. Teams don't limit him, he limits himself with his lack of toughness.

Perry has, what, a couple of nice games in his career? Other than that, there's not much to say about his pass rushing skills cos he has never been a legitimate pass rusher. Smith is a legitimate NFL saftey.

gbgary
11-20-2016, 02:38 PM
id rather ted go than mm but when gm's are hired they usually want their own guys which means mm if ted goes mm probably goes too. whoever the gm is it needs to be someone with more of a win-now attitude.

pbmax
11-20-2016, 02:39 PM
Perry has, what, a couple of nice games in his career? Other than that, there's not much to say about his pass rushing skills cos he has never been a legitimate pass rusher. Smith is a legitimate NFL saftey.

Six sacks in 9 games seems pretty legit to me.

call_me_ishmael
11-20-2016, 02:41 PM

Even if you Spriggs *has a chance* to be a good left tackle, they would be foolish to not consider their current, young, very good left tackle a good left tackle too. Bahk is a very good player. He's not moving inside.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-20-2016, 02:50 PM
Six sacks in 9 games seems pretty legit to me.

Perry hasn't done shit since the Claymaker pulled his fragile hammy. And offenses don't even double team him much.

18.5 sacks in 55 games for an OLB doesn't spell legitimate. It spells farce.

pbmax
11-20-2016, 02:56 PM
Perry hasn't done shit since the Claymaker pulled his fragile hammy. And offenses don't even double team him much.

It does spell injured for long stretches of time. While healthy last two years, he has been productive.

gbgary
11-20-2016, 02:57 PM

which isn't that surprising. they only have to concentrate on stopping him...when he rushes. peppers had played less snaps this season. i wonder what perry's numbers are since clay's been out?

Anti-Polar Bear
11-20-2016, 03:24 PM
It does spell injured for long stretches of time. While healthy last two years, he has been productive.

Perry had 3.5 sacks and 31 tackles last season. If that's good production, then Justin Harrell is headed to the NFL HOF. Other than the PO game against Washington, Perry was pedestrian-to-Hadesawful.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-20-2016, 03:33 PM
which isn't that surprising. they only have to concentrate on stopping him...when he rushes. peppers had played less snaps this season. i wonder what perry's numbers are since clay's been out?

Teams rarely double teamed him and he could only muster stinking numbers. Clearly wasn't that legitimate pass-rusher Pack desperately needed in Claymaker's absence.

Would you rather have a damn good safety (Smith) or a so-so, borderline bust OLB? (Perry)

Maxie the Taxi
11-20-2016, 03:58 PM
What is the fatal flaw of the poll?I was just following Harlan's lead. He wrote something having to do with penis placement. Maybe I misunderstood. :-)

denverYooper
11-20-2016, 04:25 PM

Yeah. Unfortunately we haven't seen a steady stretch of games with both Perry and Matthews available. To your earlier point, they do have some pass rush and are better on 3rd down when both Perry and Matthews are playing. *If* they are available for the back half of the season, I expect 3rd down struggles of the last few weeks to improve.

red
11-20-2016, 04:31 PM
i've said all along, this is a two for one deal

ted is at the end, either we can him, or he retires in a year or two. and ANY new GM is gonna want his own coach

so if we fire the coach and keep the GM only for him to leave next year, then we're gonna end up with 3 coaching staffs in 3 years. not good

pull the bandaide off in one motion, the current setup is no longer moving us in the right direction

pbmax
11-20-2016, 04:40 PM
Perry had 3.5 sacks and 31 tackles last season. If that's good production, then Justin Harrell is headed to the NFL HOF. Other than the PO game against Washington, Perry was pedestrian-to-Hadesawful.

He was the backup through much of last year, having missed most of the offseason with surgery and Peppers coming off a very good year.

He posted most of those numbers in his last 4 games.

gbgary
11-20-2016, 05:06 PM
Teams rarely double teamed him and he could only muster stinking numbers. Clearly wasn't that legitimate pass-rusher Pack desperately needed in Claymaker's absence.

Would you rather have a damn good safety (Smith) or a so-so, borderline bust OLB? (Perry)

he's much better than "borderline bust" and pass rushing isn't all he does. a stud safety would be nice...but not as nice as a stud corner or stud de.

Rastak
11-20-2016, 05:42 PM

Hey, I'm gonna send you a bill for a new keyboard since you made me spit beer out all over it while laughing.

gbgary
11-20-2016, 05:44 PM
lol...me too. omg lol