PDA

View Full Version : What network carried the broadcast?

Patler
11-21-2016, 09:25 AM
I set up taping for NBC Sunday Night Football, on WMTV Madison, which our listing said was to be the Packer game. It recorded four hours of old TV programs, yet the description says it is Packers v. Redskins.

Any ideas about what happened?

MadScientist
11-21-2016, 09:29 AM
It was on the cable NBC. Were taping from broadcast? If so did you happen to accidentally select the .2 or something like that?

In any event, 4 hours of old TV has to be better than yet another Packers debacle.

Patler
11-21-2016, 09:39 AM
I was on cable, and the recorded program is described to be the game. It just isn't.

Maxie the Taxi
11-21-2016, 09:51 AM
I hate it when that happens. The solution is to marry a younger woman and let the wife fool with the electronics.:-|

Patler
11-21-2016, 10:04 AM
I hate it when that happens. The solution is to marry a younger woman and let the wife fool with the electronics.:-|

But thats just it, the recording set up wasn't wrong. Iin the list of recorded programs, it says "Packers at Redskins". The expanded description says "Sunday Night Football" with a description of the matchup.

It's as if my cable supplier accidently transmitted a different channel for what was supposed to be WMTV.

Patler
11-21-2016, 10:58 AM
Ah-ha! It was not my fault!

I called Charter and Tivo. The problem was that instead of recording WMTV, it recorded WMTV-2, which is alternate programing. The problem occurred because the channel guide is reporting identical programing for both WMTV and WMTV-2, even though the programing is different. The problem exists right now, both show standard NBC programing in the guide.

Since I use a Tivo, the program guide is provided by Tivo with information from Charter pulled off my cable card. Both have acknowledged that one of two things is happening, either Charter is providing faulty information to the cable card, or Tivo is using the information incorrectly. Surprisingly, each admitted that they might be at fault, and both are looking into it to correct the problem.

Anti-Polar Bear
11-21-2016, 11:50 AM

I called Charter and Tivo. The problem was that instead of recording WMTV, it recorded WMTV-2, which is alternate programing. The problem occurred because the channel guide is reporting identical programing for both WMTV and WMTV-2, even though the programing is different. The problem exists right now, both show standard NBC programing in the guide.

Since I use a Tivo, the program guide is provided by Tivo with information from Charter pulled off my cable card. Both have acknowledged that one of two things is happening, either Charter is providing faulty information to the cable card, or Tivo is using the information incorrectly. Surprisingly, each admitted that they might be at fault, and both are looking into it to correct the problem.

"My name is faultless Patler and I have cable. Don't be like this me. Get rid of cable and upgrade to DirecTV." - hahaha

Seriously, I would've gotten rid of DirecTV and its overpriced packages/equipment many a-moons ago if not for the Sunday Tix. Might just get rid of it after this season since only a couple of "other" games interest me per week nowadays and NFL Shortcuts can't be watched and recorded on TV anymore :x.

Btw, if you wanna see what it was like at Little Bighorn, NFL Game Pass at NFL.com is an option. Although the Packers kept the game close a tiny timmy bit into the 4th quarter, game pretty much was a Custer-fuck from the get go. Polar Bear's last stand, I hope.

MadScientist
11-21-2016, 12:11 PM

Did the Tivo give you the option of WMTV1 and WMTV2, or did it just give you the wrong one? If it only gave you the wrong option then there is a problem with Tivo software as well as Charter stupidity. If it gave you both then you at least had a fair chance of getting the correct one if you were paying attention.

Patler
11-21-2016, 01:18 PM
Did the Tivo give you the option of WMTV1 and WMTV2, or did it just give you the wrong one? If it only gave you the wrong option then there is a problem with Tivo software as well as Charter stupidity. If it gave you both then you at least had a fair chance of getting the correct one if you were paying attention.

Both channels are identified exactly the same in the on-screen program guide - "WMTV", with no "1" or "2" being shown. Both show the exact same program information. Apparently I selected the one that is actually "-2", but there is no way to know that from the on screen information. They are identical. I had a 50-50 chance and lost. Or maybe I won, four hours of old "Leverage" reruns are probably more entertaining.

MadtownPacker
11-21-2016, 07:55 PM
If the channel identifies as .1 then who you to tell it that it is .2!!

pbmax
11-21-2016, 09:01 PM
Both channels are identified exactly the same in the on-screen program guide - "WMTV", with no "1" or "2" being shown. Both show the exact same program information. Apparently I selected the one that is actually "-2", but there is no way to know that from the on screen information. They are identical. I had a 50-50 chance and lost. Or maybe I won, four hours of old "Leverage" reruns are probably more entertaining.

If you have an Info button on the Tivo, you might get an expanded name for the channel that would include the necessary distinction. Just a guess. I need to do this with the DVR to find episode original air dates.

Patler
11-21-2016, 09:28 PM
If you have an Info button on the Tivo, you might get an expanded name for the channel that would include the necessary distinction. Just a guess. I need to do this with the DVR to find episode original air dates.

Nope, the expanded info screens are identical too.

Tivo asked me to call back tomorrow if nothing changes, because it can take up to a day for program schedule info to update. They sort of acknowledged that the problem is most likely theirs. One guy said that in simple terms, sometimes their software reads only as far as the call letters, and assumes they are duplicate channels. Therefore, it simply replicates program info.

Cheesehead Craig
11-22-2016, 08:15 AM

Tivo asked me to call back tomorrow if nothing changes, because it can take up to a day for program schedule info to update. They sort of acknowledged that the problem is most likely theirs. One guy said that in simple terms, sometimes their software reads only as far as the call letters, and assumes they are duplicate channels. Therefore, it simply replicates program info.
You have made a compelling case for a re-do of the game! Although I don't know if I would want to watch that again.

Zool
11-22-2016, 08:19 AM
I have a question. Do you actually own a Tivo brand DVR still? If so, that's amazing dedication.

Patler
11-22-2016, 11:44 AM
I have a question. Do you actually own a Tivo brand DVR still? If so, that's amazing dedication.

Why? We've had it for years; it came as a gift with a lifetime subscription. With what should I replace it? Not being sarcastic, I want to learn my options.

A few years back we also added two Tivo minis that came with lifetime subscriptions and were very cheap on Woot or some other sale site, I don't remember which it was. It eliminated "box" charges from Charter on those TVs.

MadScientist
11-22-2016, 12:14 PM

Seriously, how could their programing be that dumb, given that alternate channels have been around for a decade or so.

4 hours of Leverage is a merciful substitution for this game. You might want to consider it for the rest of the season.

Zool
11-22-2016, 12:17 PM
Why? We've had it for years; it came as a gift with a lifetime subscription. With what should I replace it? Not being sarcastic, I want to learn my options.

A few years back we also added two Tivo minis that came with lifetime subscriptions and were very cheap on Woot or some other sale site, I don't remember which it was. It eliminated "box" charges from Charter on those TVs.

I didn't realize they had that as an option. The Tivo interface was always better than the motorola that the cable companies offer, but the cable companies basically throw it in now. If you have a lifetime subscription, you're not missing anything at all.

Not entirely related, but I came across a lady who was still paying an AOL subscription a few months back. She said she was keeping it for the email address.

Patler
11-22-2016, 12:34 PM
I didn't realize they had that as an option. The Tivo interface was always better than the motorola that the cable companies offer, but the cable companies basically throw it in now. If you have a lifetime subscription, you're not missing anything at all.

Not entirely related, but I came across a lady who was still paying an AOL subscription a few months back. She said she was keeping it for the email address.

Tivo has offered lifetime subscriptions from time to time, several times as a package deal incentive for buying a new one. We had looked at getting a new one, then one of our kids bought it for us. He said he got the lifetime subscription for just a modest amount more than the box alone. We bought the minis ourselves and they came with a lifetime subscription, too; but maybe that is the only way they are sold?

Zool
11-22-2016, 01:22 PM
Tivo has offered lifetime subscriptions from time to time, several times as a package deal incentive for buying a new one. We had looked at getting a new one, then one of our kids bought it for us. He said he got the lifetime subscription for just a modest amount more than the box alone. We bought the minis ourselves and they came with a lifetime subscription, too; but maybe that is the only way they are sold?

That could very well be the model they are using now. When I looked (admittedly quite a few years ago now) they were monthly subscription based, and I had an HD capture card in my computer. Back then the cable companies didn't limit viewing of their signal to boxes they provide so it was kinda wild west. When I switched to a cable company DVR, it was the same price as not having one, so I bought in.

Patler
11-22-2016, 01:45 PM
That could very well be the model they are using now. When I looked (admittedly quite a few years ago now) they were monthly subscription based, and I had an HD capture card in my computer. Back then the cable companies didn't limit viewing of their signal to boxes they provide so it was kinda wild west. When I switched to a cable company DVR, it was the same price as not having one, so I bought in.

Our first Tivo had a service fee, which we paid annually for a fairly significant discount. Interesting thing when we activated the new one, they offered a lifetime subscription on the old one for $99. It would follow the machine if we gave it away or sold it. But, that one had been giving us problems, so we didn't even consider their offer.