PDA

View Full Version : Packers/Houston Discussion Thread

Joemailman
11-30-2016, 06:16 AM
Packers revolving door at ILB might continue.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

The concern over Clay Matthews' shoulder injury is greater than the concern over Aaron Rodgers' hamstring. "I can't say enough about him coming back out there and fighting through what he did," coach Mike McCarthy said.

Ryan was probably close last week, so perhaps he'll be back.

Fritz
11-30-2016, 08:27 AM
Packers revolving door at ILB might continue.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Ryan was probably close last week, so perhaps he'll be back.

Some clown in Ryan Wood's Packer chat suggested bringing AJ Hawk back.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Rutnstrut
11-30-2016, 08:54 AM
Some clown in Ryan Wood's Packer chat suggested bringing AJ Hawk back.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Clay is about as fast as Hawk, and at least Hawk isn't made of glass.

Zool
11-30-2016, 09:01 AM
Clay is about as fast as Hawk, and at least Hawk isn't made of glass.

Your level of hatred for things you love would make an interesting case study.

I'm faster than Hawk.

Pugger
11-30-2016, 09:08 AM
Your level of hatred for things you love would make an interesting case study.

I'm faster than Hawk.

I'm faster than Hawk. :lol:

KYPack
11-30-2016, 09:13 AM
Hawk played for the Bengals last season. For some bizarre reason, they would play him on passing downs.

Opponents would sub their best receiving RB and run rainbows on him.

After one really embarrassing down in which Hawk was whipped badly, he was relegated to the pine and got few snaps after that.

It was really a sad end for the boy.

Patler
11-30-2016, 09:21 AM
I still don't understand what happened to Hawk. He was much faster and quicker his first couple years, but lost it all soon after. Awful young for a well conditioned athlete to lose so much. Brings back memories of guys like John Jefferson, John Brockington, etc. losing their athletic traits quite young.

pbmax
11-30-2016, 09:48 AM
Clay, with a bad hamstring is still faster than Hawk, and at least Hawk isn't made of glass.

FIFY

Maxie the Taxi
11-30-2016, 10:01 AM
I still don't understand what happened to Hawk. He was much faster and quicker his first couple years, but lost it all soon after. Awful young for a well conditioned athlete to lose so much. Brings back memories of guys like John Jefferson, John Brockington, etc. losing their athletic traits quite young.My comment is completely off the wall and possibly controversial, but it might contain a germ of truth...I worry that the Claymaker may be heading down the Hawk path. Both Hawk and Clay are similar athletes in that they maximize their athletic gifts by intense training, etc. When this max training loses its effectiveness due to age (or because of constant injury), these exceptional players come back down to earth.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

pbmax
11-30-2016, 10:01 AM
Packers Reading PackerRats:

“We expect to win every week — regardless of what people think about us, what they say about us. Personally I like it when they don’t like us,” said McCarthy, who drew criticism — along with general manager Ted Thompson, quarterback Aaron Rodgers and others — on social media, on PackerRats, the premier Packer Message Board and in both the state and national media during the team’s longest losing streak since 2008. “It’s hard not to have people like you. Hell, we’re the Green Bay Packers. We take that with a lot of pride."

“We know our fans were upset with what (was) going on. But hell, there’s no one more upset than those men in the locker room. That’s the reality of it. We all want to win. We’re doing everything we can to win; I can promise you that. This group is committed, but hell, we’re 5-6, so let’s not …”

McCarthy cut himself off there, saying he had “a run game meeting to get to” instead of wasting his time publicly psychoanalyzing his team and how it kept the season from spiraling out of control.

FIFM3, italics.

McCarthy in a nutshell in bold.

pbmax
11-30-2016, 10:03 AM
My comment is completely off the wall and possibly controversial, but it might contain a germ of truth...I worry that the Claymaker may be heading down the Hawk path. Both Hawk and Clay are similar athletes in that they maximize their athletic gifts by intense training, etc. When this max training loses its effectiveness due to age (or because of constant injury), these exceptional players come back down to earth.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

Yes. Same might be true with Nelson. But like the first two years with Hawk falling off the cliff, want to see them healthy too. Clay still has his burst, but no top end with that hammy.

Rutnstrut
11-30-2016, 10:07 AM
Yes. Same might be true with Nelson. But like the first two years with Hawk falling off the cliff, want to see them healthy too. Clay still has his burst, but no top end with that hammy.

There is one other difference. Hawk could be counted on to be on the field to play. Clay not so much, well unless someone tells him they are shooting a commercial.

Maxie the Taxi
11-30-2016, 10:38 AM
Packers Reading PackerRats:

FIFM3, italics.

McCarthy in a nutshell in bold.You know I had an inkling of this a week or so ago, after we had a discussion here of doing a study on injuries to figure out why they're happening. Suddenly, Stubby makes a strange, defensive comment at his presser, something to the effect of "And if you think you can figure out the cause of each individual injury...good luck with that."

I guess we'll know for sure if they really pay attention to Packerrats when his players start calling him Stubby, or when he puts Stubby on his office door. hahaha

gbgary
11-30-2016, 11:01 AM
clay should be even better this week hammy-wise but the shoulder is a concern. btw...clay is far from being made of glass. he was blown up full speed, from the blind side, landed on his shoulder, and kept playing. we'd all still be in the hospital had it happened to us. a hammy to deal with every two-three years is no biggie also. he'll probably be back o/s this week.

Carolina_Packer
12-01-2016, 05:55 AM
Perhaps Hawk was just a square peg in a round hole after the arrival of Capers and the nickel heavy 3-4 scheme. Never a thumper, and never a coverage guy. Great...let's play him at ILB. Why try and force the fit of a LB any more than forcing the fit of Aaron Kampman, who is a classic DE in a 4-3? I wonder if TT entertained the thought of trading Hawk when Capers was hired.

channtheman
12-01-2016, 07:44 AM
I still don't understand what happened to Hawk. He was much faster and quicker his first couple years, but lost it all soon after. Awful young for a well conditioned athlete to lose so much. Brings back memories of guys like John Jefferson, John Brockington, etc. losing their athletic traits quite young.

Didn't he "bulk up" after a couple of years? I seem to recall a thread or discussion years ago throwing out the idea that his extra weight was slowing him down.

deake
12-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Why isn't Goodson on IR? Wasn't his injury as bad as it looked?

Zool
12-01-2016, 08:24 AM
There is one other difference. Hawk could be counted on to be on the field to play.

You say that like it was a good thing.

Cheesehead Craig
12-01-2016, 09:50 AM
People peak at different times. I think Hawk was hitting his peak in college and simply couldn't get any better even with NFL-level training. Then he started to decline earlier than others at his age. Perhaps Clay is the same way, he hit his peak fast and is simply unable to sustain it. I think we get spoiled with some players that can sustain a high level of excellence (Lawrence Taylor, Ray Lewis, Reggie White, etc) for an extended amount of time and when others cannot match that we think they suck.

Back to the thread topic, if the Packers defense can't shut down one of the shittiest offenses in football (that would be Houston), there's officially no hope for this team this season.

Pugger
12-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Why isn't Goodson on IR? Wasn't his injury as bad as it looked?

I heard we just resigned Callahan. Maybe Joe is gonna take Goodson's spot?

Anti-Polar Bear
12-01-2016, 10:25 AM
People peak at different times. I think Hawk was hitting his peak in college and simply couldn't get any better even with NFL-level training. Then he started to decline earlier than others at his age. Perhaps Clay is the same way, he hit his peak fast and is simply unable to sustain it. I think we get spoiled with some players that can sustain a high level of excellence (Lawrence Taylor, Ray Lewis, Reggie White, etc) for an extended amount of time and when others cannot match that we think they suck.

The Claymaker wasn't a regular starter til his 5th year in college, so he probably hasn't peaked yet.

Two reasons for the Claymaker's decline in production:

1. Claymaker - He's soft, especially at OLB. Takes himself out of the game and is a hamstring pull waiting to happen.

2. Polar Bear - Want proof of Thompson's incompetence? His failure to fix the miseries at ILB forced the Claymaker to waste almost 2 years of his prime playing ILB. Claymaker's a fucking elite OLB. He should not be playing ILB til he's a greybeard at 34. Thanks Ted!

pbmax
12-01-2016, 10:39 AM
Perhaps Hawk was just a square peg in a round hole after the arrival of Capers and the nickel heavy 3-4 scheme. Never a thumper, and never a coverage guy. Great...let's play him at ILB. Why try and force the fit of a LB any more than forcing the fit of Aaron Kampman, who is a classic DE in a 4-3? I wonder if TT entertained the thought of trading Hawk when Capers was hired.

Didn't he "bulk up" after a couple of years? I seem to recall a thread or discussion years ago throwing out the idea that his extra weight was slowing him down.

I think Harv had a handle on this back in the day, but I believe he looked like the player you would expect at WILL linebacker his rookie season 2006. Not much of a jump in 07 or 08 but one of these years he had the Cullen Jenkins nagging injury going on.

2009 he looks much better with Capers, but he is inside now and bulked up. He actually plays well in 09 and 10. By the numbers 2010 was his best season.

But after 2010 (and maybe during) he and the rest of the defense begin to breakdown. Moving Raji to DT/DE (3 tech and not nose) probably plays a role as the Run D also tanked. Whatever Desmond Bishop brought to the Packers D starting on 2010 doesn't carry over to 2011.

And then it was downhill fast.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-01-2016, 10:39 AM

Unless Rodgers' hammy pull is 10X worse than the Claymaker's, there's no reason or rhyme in keeping Callahan on the 53 men battalion.

Sign a fucking ILB or corner already, Polar Bear! Antonio Cromartie, yo!

Fritz
12-01-2016, 10:41 AM
So if his being "soft" is a reason for his decline in production, does this mean he did not used to be soft? If so, what, in your highly esteemed opinion, are the reasons for this increasing softness?

Ted Thompson wants and encourages players to be weak and soft?

Mike McCarthy is a teddy bear?

pbmax
12-01-2016, 10:50 AM

Practice Squad

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 7m7 minutes ago
QB Joe Callahan is signed to the #Packers practice squad. There was a potential opening on the 53 with Goodson's injury.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-01-2016, 10:52 AM
So if his being "soft" is a reason for his decline in production, does this mean he did not used to be soft? If so, what, in your highly esteemed opinion, are the reasons for this increasing softness?

Ted Thompson wants and encourages players to be weak and soft?

Mike McCarthy is a teddy bear?

Claymaker was, is and has always been soft, which is not surprising since he's a Thompson pick. We all know Thompson is prone to drafting soft players. Would've been DPOY already if not for that softness.

Until this season where his serious back injury finally caught up with him, JJ Fucking Watt played through all types of slings and arrows, including hamstring pulls. Never once missed a fucking game. Watt is one though motherfucker. Claymaker, not so much.

Fritz
12-01-2016, 10:55 AM
You and Wist - you kill me. I always end up imagining the draft room. A scout makes a suggestion. Ted frowns. "Nah, he's too tough. I want soft players." Amongst the sabermetrics Ted has developed is the secret to his system: the pussyometer. Each player gets a score - 1 - 4 pussies, pasted on his scouting report. The more pussies on his report, the higher Ted ranks him.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-01-2016, 11:08 AM
You and Wist - you kill me. I always end up imagining the draft room. A scout makes a suggestion. Ted frowns. "Nah, he's too tough. I want soft players." Amongst the sabermetrics Ted has developed is the secret to his system: the pussyometer. Each player gets a score - 1 - 4 pussies, pasted on his scouting report. The more pussies on his report, the higher Ted ranks him.

lol... that post above qualifies you for the 2016 PackerRats Funniest Poster Award.

Been meaning to start a poll asking y'all humble posters to vote for the funniest poster this year, but still waiting Madtown's approval to post it here since nobody reads the Romper Room anymore.

Here are the nominees thus far:

Harlan
Woodbuck
Nutz
Madtown
Rand
Maxi
Fritz
Joe Da Mailman
Tex
Anti-Polar Bear

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on Harlan.

gbgary
12-01-2016, 11:28 AM

it's not official yet but there ya go.

gbgary
12-01-2016, 11:32 AM
lol... that post above qualifies you for the 2016 PackerRats Funniest Poster Award.

Been meaning to start a poll asking y'all humble posters to vote for the funniest poster this year, but still waiting Madtown's approval to post it here since nobody reads the Romper Room anymore.

Here are the nominees thus far:

Harlan
Woodbuck
Nutz
Madtown
Rand
Maxi
Fritz
Joe Da Mailman
Tex
Anti-Polar Bear

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on Harlan.

you nominated yourself...now THAT is funny. :grin:

ThunderDan
12-01-2016, 12:45 PM
you nominated yourself...now THAT is funny. :grin:

Yup, there are about 3 posters on here that when they post and it is negative about the Packers, I think great we are moving in the right direction. When they start praising Packer moves, I think we are moving in the wrong directions.

deake
12-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Practice Squad

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 7m7 minutes ago
QB Joe Callahan is signed to the #Packers practice squad. There was a potential opening on the 53 with Goodson's injury.

So the question remains, does anybody know the extent of Goodson's injury?

Cheesehead Craig
12-01-2016, 02:35 PM
The Claymaker wasn't a regular starter til his 5th year in college, so he probably hasn't peaked yet.

Two reasons for the Claymaker's decline in production:

1. Claymaker - He's soft, especially at OLB. Takes himself out of the game and is a hamstring pull waiting to happen.

2. Polar Bear - Want proof of Thompson's incompetence? His failure to fix the miseries at ILB forced the Claymaker to waste almost 2 years of his prime playing ILB. Claymaker's a fucking elite OLB. He should not be playing ILB til he's a greybeard at 34. Thanks Ted!

How can he be both "soft, especially at OLB." and "a fucking elite OLB"?

pbmax
12-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Mike Spofford ‏@mikespofford 1h1 hour ago
QB Rodgers & CB Randall, along with LBs Martinez & Ryan shown here, practicing with limited reps for #Packers on Thursday.

Matthews also practiced.

Ryan Wood ‏@ByRyanWood 1h1 hour ago
#Packers LB Clay Matthews practiced, as did Jake Ryan. Blake Martinez practiced, but got less work than Matthews or Ryan.

Gotta figure Martinez is a week away. But Ryan and Thomas can man the middle. Good sign. Martinez and Thomas had trouble with gaps in the running game.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h1 hour ago
Rodgers taking limited reps. So is Matthews. Martinez, Ryan practicing some too. Lang, Tretter, Fackrell DNP.

Fritz
12-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Should we be concerned about Rodgers, given that they re- signed Callahan to the PS?

Will Lang ever play again?

Freak Out
12-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Rodgers can play on one leg.

Rutnstrut
12-01-2016, 09:11 PM
Rodgers can play on one leg.

Actually he seems to play better hurt.

Bretsky
12-01-2016, 10:30 PM
Yup, there are about 3 posters on here that when they post and it is negative about the Packers, I think great we are moving in the right direction. When they start praising Packer moves, I think we are moving in the wrong directions.

I think I"m on that list
Everytime I start feeling good about this team they shit on us
And when I'm down down down they surprise

Odd part is....I think the Texans are JUNK; and I'm feeling confident this week...........ahoh

pbmax
12-02-2016, 11:53 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 2h2 hours ago
Rodgers had set number of reps yesterday. That went well. Then focused on rehab. Will do more in Saturday's practice.

Same story with Matthews, MM says. "He did everything. Jake Ryan did what he was supposed to do. Blake did more."

WHILE THAT READS LIKE BLAKE IS AHEAD OF RYAN, I THINK M3 MEANT MARTINEZ JUST DID MORE THAN YESTERDAY

Big hurdle for Lang and Tretter to play this week.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 2h2 hours ago
McCarthy on T.J. Lang's & JC Tretter's chances to play: Will be a big hurdle for them to get over. We'll see where they are tomorrow.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 2h2 hours ago
McCarthy: Crowd noise is important. You want your crowd to disrupt the communication of the opponent as much as possible.

pbmax
12-02-2016, 11:56 AM
Just remember this when texaspackerbacker sounds like he has drunk his own kool-aid:

Pass first baby. http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/12/01/mccarthy-breaks-traditional-play-calling-model/94735652/

When the Packers moved the football in the past six games, it’s been through the air. On drives that have ended in scoring position, they have an 80-20 pass-run distribution since losing Lacy. Drives that haven’t reached scoring position have a 74-26 split.

The Packers had a scoring drive of 10 pass plays, no runs against Chicago. Thirteen passes, one run at Atlanta. They called pass plays on their final 13 snaps against Indianapolis, two drives ending with touchdowns.

Since their second half against the Bears, the only time the Packers offense has found trouble is when they’re tried to balance their distribution between pass and run plays. They opened their loss at Tennessee with three straight punts, calling seven pass plays and five run plays during that stretch. The next week, the Packers opened with three consecutive three-and-outs, calling five pass plays and four runs.

After their third three-and-out in Washington, the Packers ditched the run game. On the next drive, McCarthy called 16 pass plays and three runs on a lengthy touchdown drive.

pbmax
12-02-2016, 11:58 AM
Same article:

In his first 10 seasons, coach Mike McCarthy was a model of consistency as a play caller. Some might find him to be too stubborn. From 2006 to 2015, the Packers finished almost every year with pass plays – pass attempts, sacks or quarterback scrambles – called between 62 and 66 percent.

Their lone exception was 2013, when Aaron Rodgers’ broken collarbone forced the Packers to run the football more, leading to a final pass-run distribution of 60-40. McCarthy adjusted to a sudden, traumatic injury that season, and he’s done it again this fall.

They finally opened it up from the beginning Monday night in Philadelphia. The Packers opened with eight pass plays, two runs on a 75-yard touchdown drive. Their early success through the air helped set up the run, providing more success on the ground late.

And let me be more explicit, even I, long time advocate of passing more than running, battler of bobblehead's favored balance, thought tpb had gone off the deep end. It appears that isn't the case now :lol:

I do think that health and the offenses production earlier in the season argued for running as normal, esp. since the pass game was funky. But I definitely do buy the idea that passing like you are Texas Tech has cleared the baffles and allowed Rodgers and Adams to get unstuck.

Used to have a motorcycle with a normal carburetor, and if it got flooded, the only thing you could do to get it started was flood it (full throttle) and start it. Let it burn off whatever excess there was. Sure, you needed an oil change afterword, but at least you could get back home.

ThunderDan
12-02-2016, 01:19 PM
I think I"m on that list
Everytime I start feeling good about this team they shit on us
And when I'm down down down they surprise

Odd part is....I think the Texans are JUNK; and I'm feeling confident this week...........ahoh

Nope, you aren't on my list. We can all have opinions and be wrong.

There are people here who are so blinded by their hatred or love of certain members of the Packers that they can't be objective.

Cheesehead Craig
12-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Nope, you aren't on my list. We can all have opinions and be wrong.

There are people here who are so blinded by their hatred or love of certain members of the Packers that they can't be objective.

I can't quit you ThunderDan!

Fritz
12-02-2016, 02:31 PM
Well, you know that I've said many times that growing up in the uber-conservative NFL running-game-dominated 1970's, with its rules allowing DB's to use stickum and allowing players like Jack Tatum to headhunt freely, has always influenced me to want to see the Packers run the ball. I loved it when Eddie Lacy would get the rock 20+ times a game and ramble for 100+ yards. But I see this is a new era and new rules, so I am changing my tastes.

I'm not Jewish but now I like PASSover.

I don't mind it when my wife PASSES gas.

When I get drunk I PASS out these days.

Okay, Tex. I'm on board the train.

Joemailman
12-02-2016, 05:01 PM
http://d2s3dt9f4iyeup.cloudfront.net/images/resized_v1/f09e847c-5398-4412-bf79-17127e502506.jpg

Not sure why Rodgers isn't on there.

ThunderDan
12-02-2016, 05:37 PM
http://d2s3dt9f4iyeup.cloudfront.net/images/resized_v1/f09e847c-5398-4412-bf79-17127e502506.jpg

Must not be the whole list. Jake Ryan isn't there also.

Pugger
12-02-2016, 06:03 PM

Rodgers is there - the 3rd name from the bottom.

pbmax
12-02-2016, 06:05 PM
I must be missing the joke. I see Barclay, Elliot, Fackrell, Goodson, Gunter, Lang, Martinez, Matthews, Randall, Rodgers, Ryan, Tretter.

Joemailman
12-02-2016, 06:35 PM
I must be missing the joke. I see Barclay, Elliot, Fackrell, Goodson, Gunter, Lang, Martinez, Matthews, Randall, Rodgers, Ryan, Tretter.

There's no joke. The last name I see is Randall. Not sure why.

ThunderDan
12-02-2016, 08:45 PM
I see them on my phone but didn't on my pc.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-03-2016, 12:12 PM
How can he be both "soft, especially at OLB." and "a fucking elite OLB"?

Hyde is tough but he's an abomination.

Point is, there's not a universal law saying a player can't be soft but elite, or a player can't be tough but an abomination. Take Franco Harris for example. The guy was an elite RB but he hated contact. There wasn't a sideline Harris didn't love, as someone once said.

Matthews is a bona fide playmaker at OLB when he plays. That makes him elite. However, if the Claymaker never gets a bust in Canton, Oh, his softness will be to blame...and Thompson's incompetence.

The Shadow
12-03-2016, 12:27 PM
I'm faster than Hawk. :lol:

I am Spartacus!

woodbuck27
12-03-2016, 12:28 PM
Rodgers is there - the 3rd name from the bottom.

So is Jake Ryan.....scroll down....or reduce 'Sizing'.

woodbuck27
12-03-2016, 12:30 PM
I'll make this prediction for any ulcer suffering Packerrats:

Packers are 'a LOCK' to win tomorrow at Home Vs Houston.

Fritz
12-03-2016, 01:24 PM
Woody, you're old enough to know there are no locks.

Guiness
12-03-2016, 01:29 PM
Packers catch a break - Clowney has been ruled out for tomorrow.

What is Fackrell's status? Hamstring, so indefinite? I haven't heard his name since he showed up on the injury report.

pbmax
12-03-2016, 03:45 PM
Wilde:

Meanwhile, #Packers have activated CB Makinton Dorleant from IR, and have placed CB Demetri Goodson on IR.

pbmax
12-03-2016, 03:46 PM
Computer reads the injury graphic fine. Phone cuts to gray after Rodgers.

pbmax
12-03-2016, 04:58 PM
Packers love him apparently

Wilde:

Meanwhile, #Packers have activated CB Makinton Dorleant from IR, and have placed CB Demetri Goodson on IR.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h2 hours ago
The #Packers activated CB Makinton Dorleant, who they love, from Injured Reserve. Help in the secondary.

Fritz
12-04-2016, 09:32 AM
Another completely untested rookie playing corner. What a year it's been.

The guy may well be a stud in 2018, but right now he's a rook. Hopefully relegated to special teams today.