PDA

View Full Version : Jordy Nelson quietly having a great comeback season

Patler
12-06-2016, 09:33 AM
The Green Milwaukee Bay Journal Gazette Sentinel has a nice article on Nelson that I think fans need to appreciate:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/12/04/nelson-finds-new-ways-make-big-plays/94840028/

He really is having a very good comeback season from an ACL tear complicated by something with the other knee that kept him out of training camp. These followed hip surgery that he had in the 2015 off season.

Among all WRs, he is tied for 9th in receptions, stands alone at 9th in total yards, and is tied for second in TDs. He is making more and more plays at critical times.

Joemailman
12-06-2016, 09:40 AM
He averaged a little over 50 yards his first 6 games, averaging almost 100 in the last 6. Probably proof that it takes some guys a while to fully recover from a serious injury. He may have lost his top gear. However, his route running, hands and footwork along the sideline are so good he should continue to be effective for a few years yet.

gbgary
12-06-2016, 10:40 AM
just wait till next year. he'll be all the way back.

CaptainKickass
12-06-2016, 03:05 PM
just wait till next year. he'll be all the way back.

"Only one thing's for certain, Jordy Nelson always beats killer D"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SBBtmJ6Bs0

texaspackerbacker
12-06-2016, 03:24 PM
He's doing it a different way this year - for better or worse. He doesn't seem to have the speed to go deep. However, he has become a better possession receiver than he was before the injury. Unfortunately, that leaves Davante Adams filling the roll of deep threat. Adams also has been great this season - way better than I, one of his biggest detractors in the past - ever expected. Adams, however, isn't really fast enough to be a consistent deep threat either. Neither is Cobb. Hopefully Nelson does make it all the way back next season, but in his early 30s, who knows. Like it or not, maximizing things requires either a top end fast wideout drafted or maybe Jeff Janis getting on the field and coming through as hoped.

Joemailman
12-06-2016, 03:30 PM
Jordy might not have the speed anymore for the deep post anymore. However, they used to throw some of those posts off of play action. The Packers don't have enough of a running game to make play action effective. When the running game returns (probably not this year), perhaps the deep post will as well.

Fritz
12-06-2016, 06:10 PM
Maybe if Aaron Rodgers fakes a handoff to himself, that'd work for play action. He's apparently their best rushing threat.

woodbuck27
12-07-2016, 05:06 AM
Jordy looked just terrific Vs the Texans; he dominated his coverage.

RashanGary
12-07-2016, 05:09 PM
Nelson hit his prime in the 2010 post season. Was nice having Jennings and Nelson in their primes for a year or two.

I think Adams just stepped into his prime, and jordy is just now playing at a high level again. We could have another nice little run for AR the rest of this year and next.

Fritz
12-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Funny, I just watched the SB highlights from the 2010 championship. Nelson dropped two big balls in the SB - one early on that would've been a touchdown, and one that would've sealed Pittsburgh's fate far sooner.

HarveyWallbangers
12-07-2016, 06:37 PM
Nelson hit his prime in the 2010 post season. Was nice having Jennings and Nelson in their primes for a year or two.

Disagree. Jordy was at his best in 2013 and 2014. Jordy was a very good receiver before that. He hit elite status those two years.

ThunderDan
12-07-2016, 06:52 PM
Funny, I just watched the SB highlights from the 2010 championship. Nelson dropped two big balls in the SB - one early on that would've been a touchdown, and one that would've sealed Pittsburgh's fate far sooner.

Yup, James Joes dropped 1 also. Packers sure made that game a,lot close than it should have been.

gbgary
12-08-2016, 11:48 AM

I think Adams just stepped into his prime, and jordy is just now playing at a high level again. We could have another nice little run for AR the rest of this year and next.

i think Jordy's prime started 2013 and continues now. although the injury put him in a ditch he's really responded. he'll be 100% next season and should be the in 2014 form. how long that lasts is the question.