PDA

View Full Version : The Charlie Peprah Blog

green_bowl_packer
09-05-2006, 10:01 PM
I give the kid credit, it wasn't more than a couple hours from when it was announced he signed with the Packers that he changed the colors on his site from the Giant's red and blue to the green and gold of the Pack. Sounds like he appreciates the history of the Pack as well as he's getting work in the dime package on his first day here.

http://www.charliepeprah.net/cp/content/view/56/

OS PA
09-05-2006, 10:08 PM
I actually have Charlie Peprah on my facebook and he seems like he's a really hard worker and thankful for everything he's been given along the way. Hopefully he'll stick with us for a while.

BallHawk
09-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Charlie Salt and Peprah!(Shit, I have that stuck in my head thanks to Iron Mike) :evil: :evil: :evil: :mad: :evil:

JP :mrgreen:

Joemailman
09-05-2006, 10:19 PM
This guy was a 4-year starter at Alabama. I don't know what caused him to be cut by the Giants, but he is an intriguing pickup. He might be able to provide some of the physical presence we lost when Underwood got hurt.

SD GB fan
09-05-2006, 10:46 PM
im definitely impressed with him. he probably had help but the fact that he maintains a webpage like that is impressive. he seems to know his history and tradition as well....and he alrdy has a masters in finance at the age of 22-23? :shock:

HarveyWallbangers
09-05-2006, 10:49 PM
I sent him a welcome email.
:D

HarveyWallbangers
09-05-2006, 10:51 PM
His first blog as a Packer:

First day in Green Bay...
Written by Charlie Peprah

As I was sitting in the locker room Monday morning it finally hit me, I am now a Green Bay Packer. Seeing that green jersey with my name on it and that big G on a yellow helmet was awesome. For the first time in 24 hours, my life had slowed down enough for me to soak in what was happening.

When I got the news that I was a Green Bay Packer on Sunday afternoon I spent most of the day at LaGuardia trying to get a flight out of New York. Finally around 8:40 p.m. I made the flight to Milwaukee. A one hour drive from Milwaukee and I found myself in my new hometown of Green Bay at 12:40 a.m. Monday morning. After a short night’s rest I was on the trolley at 6:10 a.m. heading for practice.

My first day as a Packer was a fly by. Lots of things were thrown at me so that I have a general idea of what we’re doing defensively. I did work in some dime situations and was put in with the starters at different points of practice. It was inspiring to look to one side and see Al Harris and look to the other side and see Charles Woodson. I did get a lot of work on special teams and I think I showed I can make an immediate impact their. Although Monday was pretty hectic, I don’t seem as pressured in Green Bay as I was in New York.

A few more things I observed on Monday…The speculation about Brett Favre not being able to play at this level anymore is absurd. My opinion, for what it’s worth, is that this guy is playing and moving around like he’s got five more seasons to go. He’s still got it. I also realized how much of an impact former University of Alabama players have made on the Green Bay organization. You can’t help but notice when you walk into the facilities that Don Hutson and Bart Starr are some of the most beloved Green Bay Packers of all time. While no one could probably match their significance to Green Bay I hope I can at least build on the traditions they helped establish. After one day in Green Bay it seems it has a lot in common with Tuscaloosa. Both love their football and both are steep in traditions.

The team is off on Tuesday but I’ll go into the classroom and work on learning the system before Sunday’s game against Chicago.

One other note…I got my old #26 back.

I’ll check back later in the week,
Pep

Partial
09-05-2006, 11:01 PM
I actually have Charlie Peprah on my facebook and he seems like he's a really hard worker and thankful for everything he's been given along the way. Hopefully he'll stick with us for a while.

Speaking of facebook, my goodness, wtf did they do to that today?!? Add me, PM me if you're interested, i'll give you my name and shiz

HarveyWallbangers
09-05-2006, 11:03 PM

Speaking of facebook, my goodness, wtf did they do to that today?!? Add me, PM me if you're interested, i'll give you my name and shiz

Facebook? You guys are speaking Greek to me.

OS PA
09-05-2006, 11:11 PM

Facebook? You guys are speaking Greek to me.

Basically a student directory for all colleges, and now highschools.

With a valid .edu email address you get to connect to your colleges network and create a profile complete with pictures, information, and an area for your friends to leave you messages.

It's a stalkers dream..

woodbuck27
09-06-2006, 01:53 AM
I give the kid credit, it wasn't more than a couple hours from when it was announced he signed with the Packers that he changed the colors on his site from the Giant's red and blue to the green and gold of the Pack. Sounds like he appreciates the history of the Pack as well as he's getting work in the dime package on his first day here.

http://www.charliepeprah.net/cp/content/view/56/

V.nice post. Thanks green_bowl_packer. :mrgreen:

gbpackfan
09-06-2006, 02:21 AM
Based on his blog, you can't help but pull for the kid. I really like what he had to day. My favorite part of the article was:

"A one hour drive from Milwaukee and I found myself in my new hometown of Green Bay at 12:40 a.m"

A ONE HOUR DRIVE! Slow down kid!!!!! The cops don't know who you are yet. :lol: :wink:

BallHawk
09-06-2006, 07:26 AM
"A one hour drive from Milwaukee and I found myself in my new hometown of Green Bay at 12:40 a.m"

A ONE HOUR DRIVE! Slow down kid!!!!! The cops don't know who you are yet. :lol: :wink:

LOL. Well if he was driving at almost midnight, maybe there wasn't that many people on the road. :wink:

GoPack06
09-06-2006, 08:23 AM
i hope he plays as fast as he drives. He does seem real cool and a solid football player. The Giants must be idiots.

run pMc
09-06-2006, 08:59 AM
Maybe the NYG had enough quality players at S/CB and let him go? From what I'm reading, NYG is expected to have a pretty good D and make a strong push for the NFCE division title. I know Sam Madison is one of the corners, and Gibril Wilson is a big hitter at S. Coughlin may have preferred to go with vets instead. Anybody know what NY sportwriters thought?

Anyway, he didn't make the final cut, and now he's in GB. Here's hoping he pans out for GB.

Great thread, BTW -- thanks for posting the link/blog entry.

Chubbyhubby
09-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Maybe the NYG had enough quality players at S/CB and let him go? From what I'm reading, NYG is expected to have a pretty good D and make a strong push for the NFCE division title. I know Sam Madison is one of the corners, and Gibril Wilson is a big hitter at S. Coughlin may have preferred to go with vets instead. Anybody know what NY sportwriters thought?

Anyway, he didn't make the final cut, and now he's in GB. Here's hoping he pans out for GB.

Great thread, BTW -- thanks for posting the link/blog entry.

My understanding is that he was placed on the NYG's practice squad. Thats how the Packers got him.

Likewise, great thread thanks posting the link/blog.

Homer Jay
09-06-2006, 10:18 AM
I liked the fact that he knew that Starr and Hudson were ex Alalbama players. How many guys that age know or care anything about history? If he can start by helping on ST and build from there he will be a welcome addition.

Fosco33
09-06-2006, 10:57 AM
His first blog as a Packer:

First day in Green Bay...
Written by Charlie Peprah

A few more things I observed on Monday…The speculation about Brett Favre not being able to play at this level anymore is absurd. My opinion, for what it’s worth, is that this guy is playing and moving around like he’s got five more seasons to go. He’s still got it.

Very soon many others will be eating crow, too!

Zool
09-06-2006, 12:14 PM
I liked the fact that he knew that Starr and Hudson were ex Alalbama players. How many guys that age know or care anything about history? If he can start by helping on ST and build from there he will be a welcome addition.Why didnt he mention Carroll? [/sarcasm]

Giants fans didnt seem all that happy that he was taken by the Packers.

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Carroll played at Arkansas.

Zool
09-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Well i'm a moron so really...take what i say for what it is. Ramblings

Partial
09-06-2006, 12:23 PM

Yeah, IDIOT! Zool, how do you only have 300some posts? I would have figured you'd be much higher. It seems you and I engage in more posting discussions than others, and I certainly have a ton more posts. STEP IT UP!!

Zool
09-06-2006, 12:24 PM

Yeah, IDIOT! Zool, how do you only have 300some posts? I would have figured you'd be much higher. It seems you and I engage in more posting discussions than others, and I certainly have a ton more posts. STEP IT UP!! Well i pretty much only post 7-4 mon-friday. Sometimes I miss out on some of the long conversations at night. Oh and the live game threads.

Partial
09-06-2006, 12:35 PM

Yeah, IDIOT! Zool, how do you only have 300some posts? I would have figured you'd be much higher. It seems you and I engage in more posting discussions than others, and I certainly have a ton more posts. STEP IT UP!! Well i pretty much only post 7-4 mon-friday. Sometimes I miss out on some of the long conversations at night. Oh and the live game threads.

Fair enough

Fosco33
09-06-2006, 02:15 PM

Same city he was arrested in.... :neutral:

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2006, 03:15 PM

Funny. Arkansas is a city.

Fosco33
09-06-2006, 03:24 PM

Funny. Arkansas is a city.

I refer to colleges by their states mainly - unless they have multiple solid D1 teams. So, yeah, getting arrested and going to Arkansas - the school - are the same to me. Plus, I've spent two weeks in AR in the past year so I'm pretty sure I've got the layout down. :razz:

HarveyWallbangers
09-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Interesting story. We're becoming Africa's Team.

Grandfather an inspiration for Packers' Peprah
By LORI NICKEL

Green Bay - She can see traits in her son that are so much like her powerful father:

The way he is polite to everyone; his big, kind heart; such a hard worker; self motivated; and very ambitious.

It's been almost 30 years since Elizabeth Peprah's father was assassinated and yet she can't help but recognize him in the eyes of her 23-year-old son, Charlie.

"Many times, I see a little trace of him," said Elizabeth Peprah.

In the NFL's youngest locker room, rookie safety Charlie Peprah is, right now, just another new face for the Green Bay Packers trying to get experience and get better. This is already his second team. He was drafted by the New York Giants in the fifth round, but didn't make the final roster cut.

Soon after Green Bay safety Marviel Underwood was put on injured reserve, the Packers picked up Peprah on waivers in the first week of the season. He's played special teams here and there while he tries to catch up with the safeties ahead of him, Nick Collins and Tyrone Culver.

Charlie's maternal grandfather was Ignatius Kutu Acheampong, who was once Lieutenant Colonel of Ghana, a West African country. Ghana's government leaders had been accused of economic mismanagement and corruption. Acheampong (pronounced ay-CHAM-pong) took over the government in a coup in 1972.

"Politics in Africa, they always say, politics is a deadly game," said Elizabeth Peprah. "He knew what he was getting himself in to, but I guess it was a risk he was willing to take. When he told me this is what he wanted to do, I was scared, but I was with him. I prayed for him."

Elizabeth Peprah said her father took over in a "bloodless coup," that "he never killed a soul." Various accounts support that, reporting that Acheampong and the army seized control of the country when Prime Minister Dr. Kofi Busia was in London to receive medical treatment.

Acheampong established the National Redemption Council and tried to develop the country's economy, which mostly relies on agricultural products such as timber and cocoa. As Ghana's head of state, he tried to lower the unemployment rate and foreign debt, but his regime appointed military leaders to run government branches, not elected officials. Acheampong was overthrown in 1978. In 1979, Lieutenant Jerry John Rawlings overthrew the government again, this time in a violent coup, and a new president won by a slim margin in an election. Acheampong was executed by a firing squad. Elizabeth Peprah believes it was Rawlings who ordered the execution.

Just before he died, Acheampong removed the watch from his wrist and gave it to one of his shooters.

"He was the people's man," said Elizabeth Peprah.

But Acheampong's daughter was now in grave danger. She was married then to Joshua Peprah, a lieutenant in Acheampong's army. Terrified for their safety, the young couple with a young son fled to Europe first, and then finally the United States.

"We felt (Joshua) wasn't safe because obviously you have friends and you have enemies when you are in power. So you don't know who will come after you," said Elizabeth Peprah. "So many times, I hurt a lot because (Rawlings) got away with it. That's why I left the country. There's no way I could live in the same country with him, when he had done this to my dad. We left Ghana, because it was like a mutiny. They were going after women, they were going after kids, looting, so you don't know what will happen to you."

The Peprahs settled in Texas. Joshua Peprah earned his engineering degree at Texas Christian University. Then they moved to Plano. Elizabeth wanted to study medicine in college, but soon after came Charlie and another son. She stayed home to raise her family.

Today, the Peprahs are divorced. Joshua Peprah has moved back to Ghana and runs his own business, Computer Network Systems Integration. He catches football games at odd hours on satellite TV.

Their oldest son Kwabena Peprah earned his master's degree in marketing and works for Disney World in Orlando. Joshua Jr. is already a head-turner on the varsity high school football team. Charlie has been with the Packers for three weeks. Elizabeth works full time as a cashier at Home Depot. She has some of her father's books and pictures to remember him by.

The one thing Joshua and Elizabeth Peprah insisted on was a good education for their three boys. But sports runs through the bloodlines. Acheampong was once Ghana's Commissioner of Sports and Elizabeth herself was a runner and played "net" ball, or what Africans call basketball. Peprah played running back in his senior year at Plano High School, averaging 9.7 yards per carry with nine touchdowns, but he was a dedicated student first.

"Education came first. No question," said Charlie Peprah. "Sports was way behind it. My dad came over and he didn't know what football was. He went to a TCU-Arkansas game, and he loved it, the first time he ever saw football. He still keeps up with my games. But while he loves sports, education was No. 1. He got his engineering degree so education is something that's important to him."

Peprah played right and then left cornerback his first two years with Alabama before moving to safety to help at a position that lacked depth. As a starter all four years, he had nine interceptions, mostly from when he played corner. He also earned his undergraduate degree in marketing and a master's degree in financial planning in addition to being named an SEC Academic All-American.

After a respectable exhibition showing by rookie standards - six tackles, one interception, one pass defensed - Peprah was headed for the Giants' practice squad when he was told he was coming to Green Bay.

"He was thrilled," said Michael Gurley, who is one of Peprah's representatives from the Vortex Sports Group and the Law Offices of Archie Lamb. "Of course it's a lot cheaper place to live than New York. Plus he was thrilled to get picked up by a young team like Green Bay that's in the process of rebuilding."

Charlie Peprah was born after his grandfather died, and Elizabeth had planned on naming her middle son after her father. But Charlie arrived a month early, on a Thursday, so he was also given the African name, Yaw, customary in her culture for the boy born on a day of the week.

He has been to Ghana a couple of times and that exposure had widened his horizons.

"Going overseas kind of opens up your mind, especially seeing how people live there," said Peprah. "Going back and forth a bunch of times, I feel like a more wordly person."

This is usually the first impression of Peprah, that he is bright and informed.

"You come to his house and he's watching CNN or keeping up with the news," said Gurley. "Knows politics pretty well, he can discuss about anything.

"I was driving with him and (another player), heading to Arizona for workouts. They're talking about the texture of the houses, whatever the houses are made of out there, and what the average rainfall is in the Phoenix area, and how that would save money on the cooling bills. It just wasn't your typical conversation between two football players."

As for his grandfather, Peprah has the utmost respect.

"From all that I've heard, he was a great man," said Peprah.

Ghana's history is a large part of Peprah's past. His parents came to the United States in large part to assure the security of their family.

It's now up to Charlie Peprah to create his own identity.