PDA

View Full Version : Draft and Develop Theory Debunked Again

Anti-Polar Bear
12-08-2016, 02:38 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2016/12/07/dougherty-seahawks-adapt-better-than-packers/95045594/

Dougherty explains why the Seafags are currently the superior team compared to Ted's Team, despite the Seafags losing core players such as Irvin and Beast Mode. Here are some instrumental passages:

Why are the Seahawks in better shape than the Packers? They’ve better weathered the personnel losses that NFL teams have to withstand, in large part because coach Pete Carroll and general manager John Schneider have used select free-agent signings and a major trade to augment a roster that nevertheless has been built primarily through the draft.

Packers GM Ted Thompson's draft-only approach hasn’t developed a...quality of roster depth to prevent two major losses — season-ending injuries to cornerback Sam Shields and running back Eddie Lacy — from drastically changing his team.

Seattle has weathered personal losses because they used multiple avenues to acquire and then keep an uncommonly large core of excellent defensive players.

Seattle sent a first-round pick and center Max Unger to New Orleans for Graham in 2015...Now he’s a bona fide weapon as their second-leading receiver (57 receptions for 769 yards).

Staying on top is tough in the NFL, and you better explore all avenues to augment your roster with as many good players as possible.

Louis XVI the Polar Bear and bring in J-Mac to run the whole she-bang. Vive la Packers! :idea:

Tony Oday
12-08-2016, 08:19 AM
Losing Lacy and Shields didn't change the team, losing Shields, Rollins, Randall, CMIII, Starks, Lang, Tretter, Martinez, Ryan and Gunter changed the team.

Would I like TT to sign a stuff WR, AP, stud ILB and a Study CB in the offseason, of course but do we have the room?

Patler
12-08-2016, 08:43 AM
Weren't both teams 10-6 in 2015?
Didn't each win a Wild Card playoff game in 2015, then lose in a Divisional playoff game?

Seattle needed an athletic TE, and in 2015 traded for Graham, who missed 5 games and didn't really become incorporated into their offense his first year.
The Packers needed an athletic TE, and in 2016 signed Cook as a free agent, who has missed 6 games and hasn't really become incorporated into their offense.

Seattle looks like the stronger team right now, but a lot can change in the next month.

Patler
12-08-2016, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure many teams could withstand the multiple hits to positions like the Packers have experienced. First, losing their top three CBs, and now that two are rounding back into shape, having their entire starting LB group either injured and out, or severely compromised.

Zool
12-08-2016, 08:51 AM
I'm not sure many teams could withstand the multiple hits to positions like the Packers have experienced. First, losing their top three CBs, and now that two are rounding back into shape, having their entire starting LB group either injured and out, or severely compromised.

The Vikings have a comparable amount of injuries. How's that working out for them?

But as always, you are trying to reason with a moronic troll. He only posts this shit because of the reactions.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-08-2016, 10:04 AM
The Packers needed an athletic TE, and in 2016 signed Cook as a free agent, who has missed 6 games and hasn't really become incorporated into their offense.

The Packers have been missing that athletic TE since J-Mike's career ended prematurely in 2013. You think Elway, Belichick or Schneider would've waited until 2016 to address the TE position?

Read the fucking article.

Thompson's reluctance to utilize the trade market and free agency is fucking up the 5-6 Packers today.

gbgary
12-08-2016, 10:22 AM
The Packers have been missing that athletic TE since J-Mike's career ended prematurely in 2013. You think Elway, Belichick or Schneider would've waited until 2016 to address the TE position?

Read the fucking article.

Thompson's reluctance to utilize the trade market and free agency has fucked up the 5-6 Packers today.

fixed.

draft and develope is fine...IF YOU DON'T NEED ANYTHING! the Packers have had needs at certain spots for a long time and they've gone unaddressed for the most part. that's why a change in philosophy/gm is in order or, as i said earlier this year, there's a nuclear winter for the Packers in the not so distant future.

Patler
12-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Seattle has needed offensive linemen for years, and they still do. Every team has needs.

Anti-Polar Bear
12-08-2016, 10:43 AM
fixed.

draft and develope is fine...IF YOU DON'T NEED ANYTHING! the Packers have had needs at certain spots for a long time and they've gone unaddressed for the most part. that's why a change in philosophy/gm is in order or, as i said earlier this year, there's a nuclear winter for the Packers in the not so distant future.

Well said.

pbmax
12-08-2016, 10:47 AM
Let's also discuss the idea that a broken bone and surgery to fix it qualifies someone as soft.

pbmax
12-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Speaking of individual cases telling you how the whole compares, someone want to look at the health of Ha Ha Clinton-Dix versus Calvin Prior?

Tony Oday
12-08-2016, 11:05 AM
Used a 3rd rounder on Dick Rodgers who has flashed.

gbgary
12-08-2016, 11:26 AM
Let's also discuss the idea that a broken bone and surgery to fix it qualifies someone as soft.

it doesn't. that's silly.

Fritz
12-08-2016, 01:10 PM
Seattle has needed offensive linemen for years, and they still do. Every team has needs.

I said this to a woman I went out on a date with recently. I said, at the end of the night, "Look, I have needs, and you have needs. Can't we work something out?"

Like Ted Thompson, however, she was of a "draft and develop" mind. No quick fixes for her.

hoosier
12-08-2016, 01:28 PM
I said this to a woman I went out on a date with recently. I said, at the end of the night, "Look, I have needs, and you have needs. Can't we work something out?"

Like Ted Thompson, however, she was of a "draft and develop" mind. No quick fixes for her.

Did you tell her about Wood?

Patler
12-08-2016, 02:10 PM

He has soft bones.....or is it brittle bones?
Considering the broken bones suffered by Sherrod, Harrell, Spitz, Rodgers and so many more, I think it is clear that Thompson likes brittle players.

Cheesehead Craig
12-08-2016, 02:36 PM

So she goes young. Damn cougars.

RashanGary
12-08-2016, 04:21 PM
All that matters is TT has fielded one of the top 5 winningest teams in his time here and one super bowl. Everything else is back chatter.

Rutnstrut
12-08-2016, 04:53 PM
All that matters is TT has fielded one of the top 5 winningest teams in his time here and one super bowl. Everything else is back chatter.

The Packers have been successful despite TT, not because of him.

ThunderDan
12-08-2016, 05:26 PM
The Packers have been successful despite TT, not because of him.

Then MM must be a miracle worker. TT gives him crap and somehow we get to the playoffs year after year and win a Super Bowl.

And who hired MM?

Rutnstrut
12-08-2016, 08:06 PM
Then MM must be a miracle worker. TT gives him crap and somehow we get to the playoffs year after year and win a Super Bowl.

And who hired MM?

Actually the miracle worker is Rodgers. But even he can't keep pulling it off alone with TT and stubby as "help".

Pugger
12-09-2016, 07:30 AM
Actually the miracle worker is Rodgers. But even he can't keep pulling it off alone with TT and stubby as "help".

And who had the balls to draft Rodgers even tho he had the Iron Man at QB already?

Zool
12-09-2016, 08:12 AM
And the circle argument with no end continues.

https://62e528761d0685343e1c-f3d1b99a743ffa4142d9d7f1978d9686.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.c om/files/140430/width237/image-20161005-15882-13x0gd1.jpg

Patler
12-09-2016, 09:25 AM

Right, because we all know that in a game played with 22 different players on offense and defense, with specialization creating "starters" of about 30 players for those 22 positions, and special teams having "starter" positions for another 5+ players or so, winning and losing is determined solely by one player at one position.

yetisnowman
12-09-2016, 12:25 PM
Right, because we all know that in a game played with 22 different players on offense and defense, with specialization creating "starters" of about 30 players for those 22 positions, and special teams having "starter" positions for another 5+ players or so, winning and losing is determined solely by one player at one position.

Not solely obviously....but in my opinion Aaron masks a lot of talent defiencies. He may go down as the greatest regular season qb of all time. With just mediocre qb play the last 5-6 years this team would be one of the worst in the league in my opinion. (not factoring in draft position improvement etc.) Do you disagree?

Patler
12-09-2016, 02:47 PM
Not solely obviously....but in my opinion Aaron masks a lot of talent defiencies. He may go down as the greatest regular season qb of all time. With just mediocre qb play the last 5-6 years this team would be one of the worst in the league in my opinion. (not factoring in draft position improvement etc.) Do you disagree?

I agree that QB is the most impactful position, and it is more difficult to mask deficiencies at QB than it is at any other position, unless you can dominate on D and ST. I don't know if AR masks talent deficiencies any more than other topflight QBs do. Any team with a mediocre qb tends to be one of the worst in the league, unless of course they have a dominant D and STs.

If TT and MM have been as bad as some here suggest they have been, not AR, Tom Brady or any other great QB would have had them in the playoffs every year like the Packers have been.

texaspackerbacker
12-09-2016, 04:52 PM

hahahaha when you're right, you're right.

beveaux1
12-09-2016, 06:18 PM
I agree that QB is the most impactful position, and it is more difficult to mask deficiencies at QB than it is at any other position, unless you can dominate on D and ST. I don't know if AR masks talent deficiencies any more than other topflight QBs do. Any team with a mediocre qb tends to be one of the worst in the league, unless of course they have a dominant D and STs.

If TT and MM have been as bad as some here suggest they have been, not AR, Tom Brady or any other great QB would have had them in the playoffs every year like the Packers have been.

+1 I agree.

Teamcheez1
12-09-2016, 06:22 PM
hahahaha when you're right, you're right.

One can make the same argument for the Patriots, Saints, Panthers, Steelers, etc. etc. I can go on and on.

smuggler
12-09-2016, 08:23 PM
Basically a veiled shitpost.

yetisnowman
12-11-2016, 12:32 AM
One can make the same argument for the Patriots, Saints, Panthers, Steelers, etc. etc. I can go on and on.

It's not the same argument, because those teams have had all pro caliber players at skill positions. Except for the Saints who traded away Graham and haven't replenished their roster well...and what do you know they haven't been good in years. The other teams have elite, not just good, players at key positions. Brown, Bell, Kuechly, Davis, Short, Gronk, just as a start. Packers don't have that any players at that caliber.

Tony Oday
12-11-2016, 10:35 AM
You want Gronk?! He can't stay healthy. He's an Eddie Lacy.

yetisnowman
12-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Just want to point out how we are constructed differently than the teams mentioned above.
Big Ben had 0 TDs and 3 Ints. If A-Rod throws 0 TDs and 3 ints on the road the Packers lose by 30. We don't have a Leveon Bell.