PDA

View Full Version : My Take on Brett Favre

Pacopete4
09-05-2006, 10:23 PM
I know we all have it set in as Packer fans as to that Brett Favre can do no wrong and thats how it was for the first 13-14 years. And then came 29 INT's and him "holding the Packers hostage" this past off season and some of our opinions of him declined. I'm one person that it hasn't. He's been my biggest sports hero before I can even remember what one is. He's a man thats put our team back on the map and went thru so many problems alone to be at least a top 5 QB of all-time. To me he is #1 but I know I cant be biased when dealing with something like that. Brett has had our backs for how many years, winning games, breakin records, not missing a game, giving back to not only the wisconsin community but his own states community as well and doing this all with being a genuin person. When you ask someone when Brett plays his best, most of their time their answer is when he just got knocked down and gets up pissed. Well thats what we have coming into this season. Everywhere he looks he see's people saying, "you're to old", "you need to change your playing style", you're to fragile". Not only does he hear that about himself, but he hears it about his team. Do you not think he is gonna come up swingin? Brett's haymaker has been the best there has ever been in the NFL. People have lost faith in #4, but not this guy. We've got the Bears this weekend and even if Brett gets knocked down 20 times, he'l be in there trying and in my mind most likely winning that game at Lambeau. We have a lot of talent as he's said, believe in our proven leader. He wont be around for very much longer, this year may be it or next. Lets rally with him and not against him.

Words from a diehard Packer/Favre fan..

MJZiggy
09-05-2006, 10:37 PM
You just reminded me of something. You're right. The Chicago defense just needs to knock him down and say something stupid and he would own them with us as receivers (well maybe not me, but you get the point). How long do we think it will be before some bonehead on the Teddy D pisses him off and gets toasted?

GrnBay007
09-05-2006, 10:40 PM
Great post Paco! And welcome to Packer Rats!!

retailguy
09-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Welcome, HOMER... Your kind is very welcome here.... :wink: :mrgreen:

RIPackerFan
09-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Good post - I am hoping that he won't have to get hit to get pissed off. You can tell he is sick of it - all the negative press, the people shoveling dirt on him while he is still alive. I think he is channeling it. I am hopeful that the line will give him enough time to let him let it go.

I want him so badly to go as a hero, not as a QB that has lost it. That probably why I get ticked that people diss him (even though at times it may be warranted).

People love to bring people up and then love it even more to tear him down. You can see how almost everyone is ready or already tearing him down.

Its sad, especially when you think about everything he has done, not only for the team, but for the NFL.

Packers4Ever
09-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Really excellent post, pacopete4 - you've hit on how most Packer backers and Brett fans feel about him.
I just have a feeling they may go out on Lambeau Field Sunday afternoon and show Lovie's boys something they didn't expect !
GO PACK !!

And a hearty welcome to Packerrats too !!! :smile:

GrnBay007
09-05-2006, 11:13 PM
I want them to win on Sunday against the bears SO BAD, I'm almost scared to watch the game. Anyone else have that feeling? Extreme excitement and plenty of fear. Of course I won't miss watching the game...but.... Is this normal or am I crazy?

....wait, don't answer. :oops:

:razz:

HarveyWallbangers
09-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Good stuff!

Pacopete4
09-05-2006, 11:19 PM
Great to see some people are with me here. I've just been reading so much negativity towards him and the Packers, not only this board but a bunch of other boards I look at contantly for Packer news, I had to write a post.

I am with ya on the feeling. Favre for over the past decade has made us feel warm and safe going into so many games that us as fans forget what its like to wonder how things will work out. We used to just go "oh the bears, chalk up another win", I would love to see us back to that point, but it looks like every week will be the challenge for our team to come more prepared and play with more heart to win.

Anyways, enough of my rambling.. love the return posts and go get em this weekend Pack!!

GBRulz
09-05-2006, 11:23 PM
great post and welcome to PR!!!

I wanted to smack this lady yesterday.....

at one of the area farmers market stands, I pull in and start getting some corn and peppers for a cookout we were having yesterday. She walks over to me and says "I see that you are a Packer fan" (pointing to my personalized plates) and then just starts going off on how she is so sick of Favre and holding the team hostage and how when he retires she will be so happy, blah blah blah. I said "lady, I'm not the right person to be talking to about this because I think he is one of the greatest players ever to play the game and once he's gone people we will be lost".

we went back and forth, but jeez....all I wanted was some corn :roll:

Thanks for listening to my random thought of the day!

GrnBay007
09-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Associated Press

National Football League News Wire

GREEN BAY, WI -- LOCAL EC FAVRE FAN DUKES IT OUT AT FARMERS MARKET

Details to follow.

ahaha
09-05-2006, 11:56 PM
I still believe in Brett Favre. He's still our one true difference-maker. If he's got a half-way decent cast around him on offense, they'll be a force. So many in the media say he's lost it, and point to last year as proof. IMHO, they don't give enough credit to the DISASTER that happened around him.

MTPackerfan
09-06-2006, 12:20 AM
AMEN!

Tony Oday
09-06-2006, 12:44 AM
I remember one game against the Lions Favre got BLOWN up right away stood up with a bloody lip and went on to TORCH the Lions...we need a game like that.

woodbuck27
09-06-2006, 01:50 AM
Paco welcome. . I think we have to be related !

:cool: Post.

GO PACK GO ! GO FAVRE GO !

packinpatland
09-06-2006, 06:30 AM
I think we all were separated at birth!
What a great post, what many of us have been thinking, but few could so eloquently put.

Hey Michelle, an ear of corn could be used as a weapon you know!

BallHawk
09-06-2006, 07:23 AM
Welcome, HOMER... Your kind is very welcome here.... :wink: :mrgreen:

It sure is. Welcome to PR.

PaCkFan_n_MD
09-06-2006, 07:25 AM
I remember one game against the Lions Favre got BLOWN up right away stood up with a bloody lip and went on to TORCH the Lions...we need a game like that.

Yep, i was just about to say that. That guy that retired last year, Robert something, hit Brett late and starting talking crap. THen Brett got in his face and got really pissed. Then they showed before the hit and after the hit stats. Before the hit his rating was like 50 and after the hit was about 140. GET MAD BRETT!!

edit- it was a thanksgiving game

MJZiggy
09-06-2006, 07:34 AM
Now we just need some idiot Bear to give him some crap. Please make it early in the game. Paco, you don't have to get mad to make a post. Some of us 'round here post quite often. You're welcome to join us.

packinpatland
09-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Now we just need some idiot Bear to give him some crap. Please make it early in the game. Paco, you don't have to get mad to make a post. Some of us 'round here post quite often. You're welcome to join us.

With 3177 posts, 'quite often' is a understatement!!!!
But you keep 'em coming!

Packnut
09-06-2006, 09:54 AM
I know we all have it set in as Packer fans as to that Brett Favre can do no wrong and thats how it was for the first 13-14 years. And then came 29 INT's and him "holding the Packers hostage" this past off season and some of our opinions of him declined. I'm one person that it hasn't. He's been my biggest sports hero before I can even remember what one is. He's a man thats put our team back on the map and went thru so many problems alone to be at least a top 5 QB of all-time. To me he is #1 but I know I cant be biased when dealing with something like that. Brett has had our backs for how many years, winning games, breakin records, not missing a game, giving back to not only the wisconsin community but his own states community as well and doing this all with being a genuin person. When you ask someone when Brett plays his best, most of their time their answer is when he just got knocked down and gets up pissed. Well thats what we have coming into this season. Everywhere he looks he see's people saying, "you're to old", "you need to change your playing style", you're to fragile". Not only does he hear that about himself, but he hears it about his team. Do you not think he is gonna come up swingin? Brett's haymaker has been the best there has ever been in the NFL. People have lost faith in #4, but not this guy. We've got the Bears this weekend and even if Brett gets knocked down 20 times, he'l be in there trying and in my mind most likely winning that game at Lambeau. We have a lot of talent as he's said, believe in our proven leader. He wont be around for very much longer, this year may be it or next. Lets rally with him and not against him.

Words from a diehard Packer/Favre fan..

I'm pretty worn out defending Brett and it's nice to see there are a lot of us who understand what he has meant and what he still means to the Packer family. My biggest wish is for him to have an outstanding season cause there are several people I wanna see eating some big-time crow!

the_idle_threat
09-06-2006, 10:00 AM

With 3177 posts, 'quite often' is a understatement!!!!
But you keep 'em coming!

She brings quality and quantity ... nothing wrong with that!

packinpatland
09-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Exactly!

woodbuck27
09-06-2006, 11:58 AM
What does the man Brett favre mean to this packer fan/

I don't give a DAM how some of you want to do with this but I have played sports well into my life on a competitive level and have enjoyed alot of wonderful rewards from that.

yet i've always enjoyed being "the Sportsfan" as well.

I have had my HERO's.

Became a Packer fan because I got on the Henry "Hank" Aaron bandwagon in 1957 and subsequently followed the Great Vince Lombardi's career as a Packer fan in 1959. . .till now.

Other Hero's of Sport were NHL GREAT Frank "the BIG M" Mahovlich, now a Senator in the Canadian Gov't.

And. . Guy Lafleur the Great Right Winger of "the Montreal Canadians?" For 5 seasons the Greatest PRO hockey player arguably in the World. . . mid to late 80's.

Then I went stale for a decade with no Hero or Sporting personality I truly pulled for admired for whatever reason.

Then I saw this brash and exciting young QB of the Packers - who I LOVE, Brett Favre, swinging that football downfield with all that exuberance and talent and I was HOOKED !!

Take it as you may Packer fans, but " I LOVE BRETT FAVRE ". I admire this MAN, this wonderful Green Bay Packer.

He's " the shit".

Today I admoire another PRO athlete as well in Vladimir Guerrero of the LA Angels. . . in the AL of MLB.That fella is unreal Great.

But Brett Favre. . .Ohhhhh man O man . . that MAN is the absolute height of excitement to this Sports fan. The Man in " the NFL ". The ICON !!

Brett Favre is absolutely the GREATEST PRO, I have ever admired.

Whenever I read people putting him down. .acting like idiots. . I just choose to shake my head - because it takes ALL KINDS to make this world spin.

The people that denounce Brett ( YOU know WHO you are) and in the next DAM breath, write but I LOVE him. . are straight up phonies and messed up CRAPPO BULLSHITTER's and YOU sicken me.

YOUR people to feel sorry for . . .as YOU are indeed pathetic and lousy as Packer fans .

You fellas you have and will miss the boat.

I LOVE BRETT FAVRE. :mrgreen: Because . . .

I LOVE " the Green Bay Packers " !!

GO PACK GO ! REAL. . PACKER FAN FAITH in 2006 !!

ahaha
09-06-2006, 12:01 PM
I have a plutonic man-crush on Brett Favre.

woodbuck27
09-06-2006, 12:06 PM

We must be related? :mrgreen:

Packnut
09-06-2006, 03:31 PM

I've always had a crush on his wife!

Iron Mike
09-06-2006, 04:19 PM

GET MAD BRETT!!

Get mad at them eggs, Luke!!!!!

http://www.pathguy.com/lectures/cool_hand_luke5.jpg

Badgepack
09-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Not to sound like a perv, maybe if I word it like this, will Brett's older daughter be a good looking young lady in say 5 years? He does have an attractive wife.

MJZiggy
09-06-2006, 04:28 PM
Brett's older daughter will be almost out of college in 5 years. She is a hs senior right now.

Badgepack
09-06-2006, 04:36 PM
I know, I just didn't want to sound like the "Can't wait for the Olsen twins to turn 18 crowd"

Tarlam!
09-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Rather than starting a new thread, I'll post this here, from NFL.com Vic Carricci:

I've been under constant attack of my firm belief that Brett Favre is still one of the elite quarterbacks in this league. After the preseason game against Cincinnati, these accusations of false faith came harder than ever. If anyone had really watched the game, they would have noticed Favre was as accurate as ever, but his receivers simply could not and/or did not hang on to the ball. Can you help me out with this, so that all the "Favre Faithful" across the nation will have some form of reinforcement?
--Tod B.; Fresno, Calif.

You're right. Some of the uglier moments in that game involving Favre were not all his fault.

Brett Favre's recent comments haven't inspired confidence.
I think he still has something left, but I admit that it's hard to remain confident in his ability to deliver when you see the turnovers and other mistakes. As has already been well-documented, his biggest problem this season (and the greatest challenge facing the Packers) is a lack of an experienced supporting cast. That can make the greatest of quarterbacks look bad more often than not.

Favre also doesn't help himself with public comments that he would consider playing elsewhere if the Packers would allow it. He made the decision to come back and play for Green Bay, and I'm sure Packers fans would feel much better about their all-time favorite player if he would keep the focus on doing whatever he can to help a team that looks like it will need all of the help it can get this year.

MJZiggy
09-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Tarlam, I can only suggest that you pop over to packers.com and watch his LATEST press conference. He clarified that Costas was playing devil's advocate and in order for him to go to a different team, Ted Thompson would have to cut him first. I think Ted's got enough of a survival instinct to know what would happen if he did that. M3, in his latest comments said if he were a betting man he wouldn't bet on Favre leaving. He's not going anywhere and he made that quite clear.

Also, remember that the last time everyone was this against him was when he went into rehab. He won the SB that year--now I'm not saying he'll necessarily win the Super Bowl this year, I won't rule it out--but I wouldn't hold my breath for him to suck when he takes on this attitude either.

Tarlam!
09-08-2006, 10:02 AM
Zig, don't be shooting the messenger, now! I merely put the article into an existing thread with zero comment!

I saw BF's interview last night and I was also stoked by what M3 had to say about BF's insinuations.

What we should do is start collecting all the names of people, "experts" that have derogatory comments.

Then, when it flys in their collective faces, we can send them nice Xmas cards to remind them of their "expertisé"

MJZiggy
09-08-2006, 10:29 AM
I would actually like to do that. In Easterbrook's last column of the season he actually does it. He goes over what all the "pundits" predicted, even himself and what the fans who wrote to him predicted and puts it all in that one column. Kinda puts all these prognostications in perspective, because they were not real accurate last year.

superfan
09-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Brett's at his best when he's either:

1) pissed
or
2) having fun

Sometimes he gets that sullen/frustrated/exasperated look, and that's when the bad mojo starts happening.

Hopefully we see the Clint Eastwood gunslinger look in his eye come Sunday.

retailguy
09-08-2006, 05:53 PM

Who is "Brett Favre"?................... :shock:

Just kidding. Keep defending him.... My fingers are worn out.

Gooser
09-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Brett Farve is the guy who won a Super Bowl 10 years ago but nothing since because his WRs suck, either they run the wrong routes or they can't hang on or they have alligator arms.....In fact, according to Lord Favre and his legions, the whole Packer team is not worthy of his highness. Holds NFL record for most games with 3 or more TOs, more than twice as many as #2. As soon as Farve goes to pasture, Pack can move forward with its future. 10 years is long enough to wait for any QB. Here's the biggest giggle of all about our beloved gunslinger.......5 years in the League and Favre asks "what's a nickel defense?" Not a cerebral QB. Oh I forgot, they call that a gunslinger. MO = Get a top WR and just keep throwing him teh ball until you lead him into 1 too many head-to-head collisions and end his career e.g., Sharpe, Brooks, Freeman, Ferguson et. al. Oh yeah, one more thing, with your $150 MM in the bank, bitch at any WR who tries to get his. What a hypocrite. Favre's WRs deseve combat pay.

re: ironman - throws the ball away falling backwards all teh time - he prefers INTS over sacks. Ironman? More like chicken-shit.