PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 14 vs Seahawks

pbmax
12-11-2016, 06:48 PM
This should be both fun and terrifying as we get injury reports at the start of the week.

Fantastic performance by the D, with pass pressure and INTs. Made a small lineup work on D with pass rush, field position and a lead.

Special Teams did well too, only one leaky Lockett KO return past the 30.

Rodgers has a calf injury in addition to hamstring. I think his high school ACL surgery has caused a lot of subsequent problems.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 8m8 minutes ago
Aaron Rodgers says he injured his calf on the first third down of the game, possibly as he was compensating for his injured hamstring.

pbmax
12-11-2016, 06:49 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Czb55o8VEAAmpVO.jpg:large

Tony Oday
12-11-2016, 06:54 PM
I'm liking Lowry.

Teamcheez1
12-11-2016, 06:55 PM
Rodgers has now been hurt in three straight seasons. He is fantastic even when hurt, but I'm afraid this will eventually be our undoing (besides the defense).

pbmax
12-11-2016, 06:55 PM
I'm liking Lowry.

He does seem to get home.

pbmax
12-11-2016, 06:56 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Czb9dT8VEAAzptY.jpg:large

texaspackerbacker
12-11-2016, 07:03 PM
I've had negative things to say about Damarious Randall. I take it back. It looks like getting healthy has shaped him up. One guy I always praised, Jayrone Elliot, also came through big.

gbgary
12-11-2016, 07:13 PM
thought the d was very good after they settled down in the first qtr. they didn't blitz very much at all today. glad to see it.

o was exceptional.

st were good too.

gunter, lowery, rodgers, michael, and especially monty, were great.

beveaux1
12-11-2016, 07:21 PM
thought the d was very good after they settled down in the first qtr. they didn't blitz very much at all today. glad to see it.

o was exceptional.

st were good too.

gunter, lowery, rodgers, michael, and especially monty, were great.

Add Randall and Adams to that list.

beveaux1
12-11-2016, 07:22 PM

Love this.

pbmax
12-11-2016, 07:40 PM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 23m23 minutes ago
Rodgers says hurt other calf, not one he hurt in '14. Says too early to tell how compares to '14 injury

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 22m22 minutes ago
Rodgers on severity of calf injury: Hard to tell, just happened...Threw a TD pass (on third play) & my calf started hurting me. #SEAvsGB

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 21m21 minutes ago
Rodgers: Important win for us confidence-wise. Statement to our fans as well to stick with us. There's a lot of football left. #SEAvsGB

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 18m18 minutes ago
Rodgers on Jordy Nelson: Consistent player his entire career. Smart player...Fortunate to play with him & connect as many times as we have.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 17m17 minutes ago
Rodgers on his "run the table" comments at 4-6: "I thought it was important to state how I really felt about the team at the time."

pbmax
12-11-2016, 07:41 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 39m39 minutes ago
McCarthy: Good home victory for us. Game was important to our team. Ready to go into division stretch. Very proud of our guys. #SEAvsGB

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 37m37 minutes ago
McCarthy: Aaron Rodgers was hurt (calf) on the third play of the game. #SEAvsGB

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 36m36 minutes ago
McCarthy: We're getting better as a football team. That's what I'm most excited about. You've got to win games in December. Took a big step.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 34m34 minutes ago
McCarthy on @AaronRodgers12: Aaron's a great player. He spoils us all. Thought he was very disciplined (after injury). Played excellent.

pbmax
12-11-2016, 07:42 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzcB-cgWEAAkz8s.jpg:large

gbgary
12-11-2016, 07:44 PM
watched mm and rodgers presser(s). if they could open the trap doors, under some of those reporters for their stupid questions, it would be hilarious. only one or two would be left standing.

pbmax
12-11-2016, 07:45 PM
Damn! They lost TOP battle!

RashanGary
12-11-2016, 07:47 PM
I thought the young DL looked active, especially Lowry. Clark is just a kid, 21 years old, and plays NT. He'll grow into that. He's ok as a very young rookie. Clearly his best football is in front of him. Ringo looked active and athletic. Good burst.

Lowry can play a little right now. That's exciting.

pbmax
12-11-2016, 07:49 PM
12 hours ago

The Packer Ranter ‏@PackerRanter 12h12 hours ago
It's 261 miles to Green Bay. I've got a full tank of gas, 20 oz of coffee, it's snowing and I'm wearing long-johns.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzZn8AGXgAA4xFh.jpg

Bossman641
12-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Did Randall re-injure himself? He limped of late

RashanGary
12-11-2016, 08:02 PM
Did Randall re-injure himself? He limped of late

Came back. Looked fine. Glad to have him. Different defense with him out there. Not so easy to pick on.

pbmax
12-11-2016, 09:19 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 26m26 minutes ago
New from JSOnline and PackersNews: Seven arrested, 28 ejected at Packers game http://ift.tt/2hecBjg #Packers

GOOD TO SEE THE FANS STEP UP THEIR UNRULINESS. BEAT THE PREVIOUS SEASON HIGH OF 24 VERSUS THE COLTS.

Cheesehead Craig
12-11-2016, 09:21 PM

Another game without a 4Q comeback win.

QBME
12-11-2016, 09:38 PM

Hi, I'm QBME and I'm an idiot.

Please explain - is Russell Wilson Jr. III throwing a croissant. pastrie or ???

beveaux1
12-11-2016, 09:45 PM
Turnover

QBME
12-11-2016, 09:48 PM
Turnover

Ahhh... now that's friggin' funny.

pbmax
12-11-2016, 10:45 PM
Another game without a 4Q comeback win.

Terrible trend.

George Cumby
12-11-2016, 11:17 PM
It's because of his girlfriend that Rodgers can't win close games.

Joemailman
12-11-2016, 11:29 PM
Can Russell count?

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/66365708.jpg

RashanGary
12-11-2016, 11:33 PM
Who's gonna have more yards this season, jordy or Adams? Jordy has 16 more now. Both are kind of peaking.

Smidgeon
12-12-2016, 01:23 AM

SOFT! UNDOMINANT!!

Carolina_Packer
12-12-2016, 05:52 AM
12 hours ago

The Packer Ranter ‏@PackerRanter 12h12 hours ago
It's 261 miles to Green Bay. I've got a full tank of gas, 20 oz of coffee, it's snowing and I'm wearing long-johns.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzZn8AGXgAA4xFh.jpg

Hit it!

Got your back, PB. #wingman

Fritz
12-12-2016, 06:15 AM
I'd like to re-post my official game-thread prediction for this game:

"Packers play strangely listlessly. Seahawks outmuscle and overwhelm on both sides. Russel Wilson escapes several seemingly sure sacks and runs for 17 on a third and 15. And throws to wide open wide receivers. It's a clusterfuck, and tomorrow there are threads everywhere demanding regime change.

Grren Bay scores a late touchdown just to get to the two-touchdown difference."

Seattle 34
Green Bay 20

Clearly, I saw this one coming a mile away.

Even after the Pack was up 21-3 at the half, when Seattle came out in the second half and started going right down the field, I thought, "Oh, here we go again."

Oh, me of little faith!

pbmax
12-12-2016, 11:08 AM
Jared Cook is expected to be fine after dropping out of Sunday's game against the Seahawks with a chest injury, according to a source. There's a good chance Cook will play this week against the Bears even after he sustained a lung contusion and did not return to the game. He was held out for precautionary reasons.

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

pbmax
12-12-2016, 11:11 AM
I am also stunned Dick Rod isn't in the concussion protocol.

pbmax
12-12-2016, 11:12 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 25m25 minutes ago
Based on preliminary findings, #Packers QB Aaron Rodgers’ calf injury doesn’t seem as bad as the one from two years ago, source said.

Maxie the Taxi
12-12-2016, 11:17 AM
I thought the young DL looked active, especially Lowry. Clark is just a kid, 21 years old, and plays NT. He'll grow into that. He's ok as a very young rookie. Clearly his best football is in front of him. Ringo looked active and athletic. Good burst.

Lowry can play a little right now. That's exciting.Agreed. Let them play more. AND dump Pennel. The guy is a disruptive distraction. If we need another strong, run-stuffing defensive lineman call up Brian Price from the PS.

Anyone else see Christian Ringo as a linebacker in the mold of James Harrison or Terrell Suggs?

Harlan Huckleby
12-12-2016, 11:18 AM
There's a good chance Cook will play this week against the Bears even after he sustained a lung contusion and did not return to the game.

"a lung" - he's got two of um. Get back out there!

pbmax
12-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Guion really needs to work on staying square in his gap. He was getting turned juts barely but was not getting back to his gap.

Needs a punch to get the O lineman out of his body. He's only off by a foot, but a lot of good runs went through his gap.

pbmax
12-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Last shout out to the doubters:

Anyone see a team devoid of leadership or emotion yesterday?

McGinn's embarrassment of an article yesterday about matching the Seahawks emotion was followed up today with confirmation of his own dum thesis that the Packers did indeed match emotion for emotion.

It escapes him that playing well and winning increases emotion and energy. Not the other way round.

call_me_ishmael
12-12-2016, 12:31 PM
I am also stunned Dick Rod isn't in the concussion protocol.

Right? Dude shook that off like it was nothing :-p

It did look like it was helmet to shoulder more than helmet to helmet. Still a vicious hit either way!

Patler
12-12-2016, 12:34 PM
Last shout out to the doubters:

Anyone see a team devoid of leadership or emotion yesterday?

McGinn's embarrassment of an article yesterday about matching the Seahawks emotion was followed up today with confirmation of his own dum thesis that the Packers did indeed match emotion for emotion.

It escapes him that playing well and winning increases emotion and energy. Not the other way round.

I was thinking about that article during the game when the Packers stepped up a couple times and dished back as good or better than what they got from the Seahawks.
Was it McGinn or someone else who had the article this week about how much better the Seahawks were at replacing departed or injured players than the Packers were?

Harlan Huckleby
12-12-2016, 01:04 PM

I suppose interceptions are a good pick-me-up. But I think if you look at play in first quarters, McGinn has a point on both counts.

Zool
12-12-2016, 01:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/nH4st7y.png

RashanGary
12-12-2016, 01:12 PM
I suppose interceptions are a good pick-me-up. But I think if you look at play in first quarters, McGinn has a point on both counts.

I'm kind of ok with McGinn on that too. Seattle plays the right way. I'm a big believer that football is won by the team that's the best combination of discipline and violence. Seattle beats up, and intimidates. I would coach that way too. Lang mentioned after the game Seattle likes to intimidate and bully, so you have to match that and fight back. I do think that was a key to the game. We went into that game with a fuck you mindset that they weren't going to push us around and we were going to do the pushing. That was big.

Fritz
12-12-2016, 02:30 PM
I was thinking about that article during the game when the Packers stepped up a couple times and dished back as good or better than what they got from the Seahawks.
Was it McGinn or someone else who had the article this week about how much better the Seahawks were at replacing departed or injured players than the Packers were?

I believe that was Dougherty.

pbmax
12-12-2016, 06:09 PM
I'm kind of ok with McGinn on that too. Seattle plays the right way. I'm a big believer that football is won by the team that's the best combination of discipline and violence. Seattle beats up, and intimidates. I would coach that way too. Lang mentioned after the game Seattle likes to intimidate and bully, so you have to match that and fight back. I do think that was a key to the game. We went into that game with a fuck you mindset that they weren't going to push us around and we were going to do the pushing. That was big.

I like the Seahawks approach. But the Packers have beaten this team brutally three games in a row. They first of those, of course, resulted in a loss which I think helps prove that emotion and physicality can only go so far.

After the last two games, his thesis is bogus as it applies to these two teams.

They beat this team at their own game with a safety playing ILB and a very limited Matthews and no Perry.

Bossman641
12-12-2016, 06:30 PM
https://vine.co/v/5Q7LEiUZdHH

I can't say it enough. Fuck Seattle, they are a bunch of dirty thugs who don't know hoe to react when punched in the mouth

pbmax
12-12-2016, 06:34 PM
Speaking of which:

Timoteo @Timothy___ryan
How about you not take everything so personally @TJLang70 and have some class.
Sincerely,
Packers fan (including me)

TJ Lang ‏@TJLang70 22h22 hours ago
Sorry man, I'll try to keep my composure next time I get punched in the nuts.

Fritz
12-12-2016, 06:55 PM
Okay, that's pretty funny.

pbmax
12-12-2016, 07:33 PM
CAPERS

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 3h3 hours ago
Dom Capers: Concerned going into the game with Seattle's explosive capabilities. Wanted to limit big plays.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 3h3 hours ago
Capers: We had guy assigned to Wilson with the spy technique.

Capers on Burnett: Idea was there to get a match-up guy because of Graham’s ability to get vertical. Thought he did nice job playing the run

Capers: Limited Matthews’ snaps. We tried to keep him healthy and I think we did that.

Capers on stopping Wilson: He’s dynamic. Throws so well on the move. When rushing four he finds that seam You try to keep him in the pocket.

Capers calls @MoBetta_42 an instinctive guy. "One of the most coachable guys I've been around."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 3h3 hours ago
Capers on Burnett as LB: Instinctive guy, coachable. "He's proven to us he can handle that. We've asked a lot of him this year."

Facing Graham and with Wilson's athleticism, GB unleashed Burnett as a linebacker. It's called the "whip" position.

Capers said injuries earlier in the season prevented him from using Burnett in the box. Now has the personnel to pull it off.

Seattle converted only one third down of longer than 2 yards, Capers says. A tribute to run defense for forcing longer-yardage plays.

"I'd like to tell you that was part of the game plan," Capers says of Ringo's running-start pass rush.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 3h3 hours ago
Dom Capers joked he might need to put in a package for Christian Ringo to get a running start if he keeps making plays like Sunday #Packers

OUTSIDE OF SHERMAN IN THE DIRT, BEST PLAY OF GAME

Capers on corners: Quinten played one of his best games.Hopefully, we keep both of those guys (Rollins,Randall) moving forward.

Capers on Jayrone Elliott: It’s about opportunities. We have depth at that position. Nick is out, Clay limited and Mackrell hurt, more reps.

Capers: If we don’t give up big plays, it will be hard to score on us. Biggest play we gave up was 31 yards in 2-minute drill.

Capers on forcing turnovers: This was one of those games where they all came in one game.

#Packers defense has given up 36 points last three weeks. Why? Mostly eliminated big plays. Helps to have some healthy-ish corners.

pbmax
12-12-2016, 07:38 PM
BENNETT

Edgar Bennett on telling Montgomery he was a RB: Do recall the young man being excited to play more.

Bennett on Montgomery's move to RB: He was excited to have a role. He broke a lot of tackles, played with balance vs. Seattle.

Edgar Bennett recalls Ty Montgomery being excited at prospect of playing running back. "He's a weapon."

ZOOK

Schum did "great" job keeping ball away from Lockett, Zook says. "He didn't pop any big ones on us."

Ron Zook on coverage: Jake did a great job keeping the ball away from Lockett. It was harder on kickoffs. Most part handled it well.

Ron Zook on Schum’s punting: Where he’s putting it, the placement is what we want. Last punt was great.

Ron Zook on Crosby’s miss: Had same kick in warm-ups. Traveled to left. So he aimed right upright and it didn’t (travel left).

pbmax
12-12-2016, 07:46 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 5h5 hours ago
Tom Silverstein Retweeted Aaron Nagler
Randall Cobb on hit: "They’re just cheap. Bunch of front-runners. That’s Seattle, for you. That’s what they do. It was all over the field."

See Vine in Bossman's post.

pbmax
12-12-2016, 08:03 PM
McCarthy

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 8h8 hours ago
McCarthy on Rodgers injury: It’s a normal Monday for us. I’ll see Aaron in QB meeting and see where he is.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 8h8 hours ago
McCarthy: 'These guys have stayed the course. We've had a lot of moving parts. This is December. You have to stay focused' #Packers

McCarthy: 'These guys have stayed the course. We've had a lot of moving parts. This is December. You have to stay focused' #Packers

McCarthy on Montgomery: He is a RB. I apologize for not making an announcement. He hasn’t been in a WR meeting for months.

SERIOUSLY, HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE THIS GUY? EVEN FEELS A RESPONSIBILITY TO REPORTERS/PUBLIC

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 8h8 hours ago
MM: Ty Montgomery hasn't gone to a receiver's meeting in months. He's not hung up on who is "starting" RB.

MM on challenges calling plays after Rodgers hurt: Common ground between conservative and pushing. Too conservative 1st poss. 2nd half.

McCarthy on Rodgers injury: Positive is we’ve been through it before. Challenge is I err on side of caution and he wants to play same way.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 8h8 hours ago
McCarthy on @MoBetta_42: I think Morgan's having his best year. He's a game-ball winner for the defense. Played very well yesterday.

Jones and Elliott picking up slack at OLB: Big assignment vs. read option. Defense gave up too much rushing though.

MM on defense last 3 weeks: Continuity, players coming back. Challenged in secondary with corners depleted.Younger players playing better.

McCarthy on defensive improvement: I think it’s obvious. Continuity. We’re getting players back. We were playing really young players.

MM on not getting help yesterday: "We're all about play style and production. We can't control what's going on around the league" #Packers

MM for second time points out Bears are playing well. Watched some live yesterday and more this morning.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 8h8 hours ago
McCarthy: Our team confidence took a big step yesterday...We can't control what's going on around the league or division.

McCarthy said play-calling at start of 3rd Q was concession to Rodgers’ injury. Went back to regular plan after that poor possession.

Cheesehead Craig
12-13-2016, 07:57 AM

Amazing how that style of play looks so good when they win, but when they lose, that exact same style looks like it's cheap and a lot of bluster.

I'd rather have a defense that disciplined way more than violent.

pbmax
12-13-2016, 11:06 AM
^ I can't stand dumb personal fouls on the Defense. Sustained a lot of drives.

Fritz
12-13-2016, 12:00 PM
Y'know, a couple games ago this season had all the feel of that season, what was it, 2012 or '13, in which the Packers lost a bunch of players, most especially Rodgers, then came back to win the division against the Bears in the final game. You just kinda knew this was a team that had no zip, and I believe they lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Now, however, I keep hearing from the coaches (MM and Capers both said this) that the team is getting healthier. Hmm. What could this mean?

hoosier
12-13-2016, 01:31 PM
Y'know, a couple games ago this season had all the feel of that season, what was it, 2012 or '13, in which the Packers lost a bunch of players, most especially Rodgers, then came back to win the division against the Bears in the final game. You just kinda knew this was a team that had no zip, and I believe they lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Now, however, I keep hearing from the coaches (MM and Capers both said this) that the team is getting healthier. Hmm. What could this mean?

That they will not only have to win out, but then (assuming Detroit loses to Dall or NYG) they will also have to go through Dallas and Seattle. Difficult but not impossible.

gbgary
12-13-2016, 02:58 PM
Amazing how that style of play looks so good when they win, but when they lose, that exact same style looks like it's cheap and a lot of bluster.

i don't think it looks good when they win. a cheap shot is a cheap shot. you HAVE to answer their style of play the same way. i'm glad we rubbed their noses in it. they just might think differently about doing it next time. if not than accommodate them again.

^ I can't stand dumb personal fouls on the Defense. Sustained a lot of drives.

disciplined d is the most important but having an edge is good as long as you don't cross lines and hurt your team.

pbmax
12-13-2016, 04:08 PM
i don't think it looks good when they win. a cheap shot is a cheap shot. you HAVE to answer their style of play the same way. i'm glad we rubbed their noses in it. they just might think differently about doing it next time. if not than accommodate them again.

disciplined d is the most important but having an edge is good as long as you don't cross lines and hurt your team.

Agreed and the Packers routinely show they don't know how to do it and not get caught. They are ALWAYS retaliating.

RashanGary
12-13-2016, 10:30 PM

Touché. They looked like punks. Agree. Sore losers.

Iron Mike
12-13-2016, 10:55 PM
Speaking of which:

Timoteo @Timothy___ryan
How about you not take everything so personally @TJLang70 and have some class.
Sincerely,
Packers fan (including me)

TJ Lang ‏@TJLang70 22h22 hours ago
Sorry man, I'll try to keep my composure next time I get punched in the nuts.

Best line I heard was "That's as close to a sack as Cliff Avril got all game!"

Rutnstrut
12-14-2016, 07:44 AM

So to put it simply. For once they didn't go into a game with a soft, pussified attitude.

pbmax
12-14-2016, 09:15 AM
Mike McCarthy:

111 Wins: finally, he changed something!
61 Losses: See, he stinks out loud!
1 Tie: This stinks out loud too!

Mike McCarthy, only successful the 111 times he doesn't do what he always does (35.8% of the time).

RashanGary
12-14-2016, 12:54 PM
Mike McCarthy:

111 Wins: finally, he changed something!
61 Losses: See, he stinks out loud!
1 Tie: This stinks out loud too!

Mike McCarthy, only successful the 111 times he doesn't do what he always does (35.8% of the time).

Maybe meant for McCarthy thread?

Fritz
12-15-2016, 05:58 AM
I think people are aching for a trip to the Super Bowl now. Even getting to the NFC Championship game will result in fans calling for heads to roll if that game didn't result in a victory.

pbmax
12-15-2016, 06:42 AM
Maybe meant for McCarthy thread?

Might fit, but that was for Rut. Forgot to quote.

3irty1
12-15-2016, 08:22 AM
How much confidence is really appropriate after this win?

The way the league is set up its one thing to get good, as Seattle did, its another thing to stay good... as we and the Patriots do. The league's parity measures will help you reach the leagues peak, but they work against teams trying to repeak. This gets taken for granted. What I'm saying is I think our trouncing of Seattle might say more about Seattle than it says about us. They really sucked. Being on their end of that ass-kicking probably felt a bit like when we were blown out by Denver last year.

Their offense was a cartoon of self-sabotage. If Doug Baldwin rewatches that film he'll get PTSD. Before this game I viewed Earl Thomas as the straw that stirred the drink in their defense; now he seems more like the glass. The only thing that kept the drink from being a puddle. He made it viable to start a linebacker at safety.

Sucking less that seattle, even 28 points less, doesn't make me feel like our own struggles are over. Its not a great year for the NFL but being in the playoffs still means beating relatively good teams, and the next time we do that will be the first this year.

Patler
12-15-2016, 08:53 AM

The way the league is set up its one thing to get good, as Seattle did, its another thing to stay good... as we and the Patriots do. The league's parity measures will help you reach the leagues peak, but they work against teams trying to repeak. This gets taken for granted. What I'm saying is I think our trouncing of Seattle might say more about Seattle than it says about us. They really sucked. Being on their end of that ass-kicking probably felt a bit like when we were blown out by Denver last year.

A good recent example is the 49ers. It was just a few short years ago that many on here feared them over anyone else in the NFC. How many times were the Packers, TT and MM compared to the 49ers? Many come and go to the playoff scene, but only a few remain in it for prolonged periods.

run pMc
12-15-2016, 10:23 AM
A good recent example is the 49ers. It was just a few short years ago that many on here feared them over anyone else in the NFC. How many times were the Packers, TT and MM compared to the 49ers? Many come and go to the playoff scene, but only a few remain in it for prolonged periods.

I'm actually not surprised the 49ers fded -- they lost too many solid players to retirement or free agency. Their OL was almost like Dallas's this year. I will begrudgingly give Harbaugh some credit for being able to coach them up as well. Baalke and Co. haven't been able to acquire/draft and develop the talent to replace all the losses. Plus, that's still a tough division IMO.

hoosier
12-15-2016, 10:26 AM

Their offense was a cartoon of self-sabotage. If Doug Baldwin rewatches that film he'll get PTSD. Before this game I viewed Earl Thomas as the straw that stirred the drink in their defense; now he seems more like the glass. The only thing that kept the drink from being a puddle. He made it viable to start a linebacker at safety.

Sucking less that seattle, even 28 points less, doesn't make me feel like our own struggles are over. Its not a great year for the NFL but being in the playoffs still means beating relatively good teams, and the next time we do that will be the first this year.

Did Seattle look terrible because they suck or was it because the Packers made them look that way? A drubbing of a team that has had Seattle's success and was 8-4 going into the game is a quality win no matter how you look at it.

run pMc
12-15-2016, 10:31 AM

Yeah, I think the D benefited from good fortune as much as anything else with lucky bounces/ricochets. It just seemed like one of those games where it snowballed out of control for SEA. They haven't been beaten that badly in a long time, so I'd call that a mulligan. They're a crappy road team besides.
I do think it was a confidence boost for a team with some young players thrust into key roles, and certainly helps from a momentum standpoint. Those things can be important for a "we can run the table" situation. The worry is overconfidence facing a CHI team with nothing to lose at home on a crappy surface in bitter cold weather. Seems like a low scoring, Jordan Howard getting 25+ carries kind of game. I worry about the Packers not having the kind of running game you need for this -- December is Eddie Lacy weather.

3irty1
12-15-2016, 10:54 AM
Did Seattle look terrible because they suck or was it because the Packers made them look that way? A drubbing of a team that has had Seattle's success and was 8-4 going into the game is a quality win no matter how you look at it.

The Packers did their part, and yes any 28 point win against an NFL roster is a quality win. Figuratively speaking, when an opponents perfect pass goes through their hands, off their facemasks, and into your lap, a good team takes advantage. But its charitable to suggest the Seahawks needed the Packers to look as bad as they did. The Seahawks were bad and we made them look bad.

The Packers have had football alzheimers for long enough now that it feels dangerous to get too excited about one lucid moment.

Patler
12-15-2016, 11:22 AM
I'm actually not surprised the 49ers fded -- they lost too many solid players to retirement or free agency. Their OL was almost like Dallas's this year. I will begrudgingly give Harbaugh some credit for being able to coach them up as well. Baalke and Co. haven't been able to acquire/draft and develop the talent to replace all the losses. Plus, that's still a tough division IMO.

But that's just it, EVERY team goes through similar changes. The Packers lost their very formidable line of Clifton, Wahle, Rivera and Tauscher, too. First with Colledge and Spitz moving in, then Sitton, Bulaga and Lang and now Bakhtiari and Taylor. At center they went from Flanagan 10 years ago, to Wells, Dietrich-Smith, Linsley and Tretter. Driver and Jennings became Nelson and Cobb, now Adams in the mix, too. Some teams handle the transitions, others do not. The Packers have handled constant evolution while remaining competitive. The Packers began building a playoff caliber roster 25 years ago, and have maintained it mostly ever since. The 49ers built a playoff caliber roster, held it for a few seasons, then faded away.

Fritz
12-15-2016, 11:34 AM
The Packers did their part, and yes any 28 point win against an NFL roster is a quality win. Figuratively speaking, when an opponents perfect pass goes through their hands, off their facemasks, and into your lap, a good team takes advantage. But its charitable to suggest the Seahawks needed the Packers to look as bad as they did. The Seahawks were bad and we made them look bad.

The Packers have had football alzheimers for long enough now that it feels dangerous to get too excited about one lucid moment.

I thought Seattle would lay the wood (or is it pipe?) on or in the Packers. But clearly I was wrong. But in my quest to make reality fit my pre-conceived notions, I saw all those passes bouncing off Seahawk chests and into Packer arms as mere good luck. Thus, I am prone to believe your post.

pbmax
12-15-2016, 04:49 PM
Seattle is vulnerable, but those vulnerabilities show up on the road. Which hurts their mediocre or worse O line and slows down the normally excellent D line.

They will be different in Seattle, but not invulnerable as the Packers have showed 3 times in a row.

Here's what should keep you up at night: Giants are going to make the playoffs as a wildcard team. Which means if both Packer and G-men are in, they would play at Lambeau.

ThunderDan
12-15-2016, 05:28 PM
Seattle is vulnerable, but those vulnerabilities show up on the road. Which hurts their mediocre or worse O line and slows down the normally excellent D line.

They will be different in Seattle, but not invulnerable as the Packers have showed 3 times in a row.

Here's what should keep you up at night: Giants are going to make the playoffs as a wildcard team. Which means if both Packer and G-men are in, they would play at Lambeau.
Nope, not true. Even though the Packers beat the Giants if the Giants have a better record they get the home playoff game.

beveaux1
12-15-2016, 06:43 PM
Nope, not true. Even though the Packers beat the Giants if the Giants have a better record they get the home playoff game.

I believe that a division winner will always get home field over a wild card team, no matter the record.

ThunderDan
12-15-2016, 06:47 PM
I believe that a division winner will always get home field over a wild card team, no matter the record.

I was picturing both GB and NY as wild card teams. PB is correct if we win our division and NY is the wildcard.

Fritz
12-16-2016, 06:27 AM

Oh, I'm there already. The frigid conditions, the supposedly superior Packer team. It's déjà vu all over again.

smuggler
12-16-2016, 07:20 AM
I do not ever want to play the New Eli Giants again. Ever.

Joemailman
12-16-2016, 05:46 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Richard Sherman was fined $18,231 as a repeat offender for an unpenalized hit on Packers receiver Davante Adams. K.J. Wright was fined $48,620 as a repeat offender before an unnecessary roughness hit on Richard Rodgers. Cliff Avril was not fined for punching T.J. Lang below the belt. It's possible it couldn't be seen on video.

hoosier
12-16-2016, 07:48 PM
The all-22 doesn't show the Avril punch but it's weird to think that none of the TV cameras in the stadium would have captured it.

George Cumby
12-16-2016, 08:18 PM

When the Niners were in their recent heyday, the local radio guys were GUSHING over Baalke having a passel of early round picks and were giddy as an eighth grade girl going to the prom with the Varsity QB. They were convinced they were on the brink of a dynasty.

If I cared, I would go back and dig up the thread foretelling the demise of the pocket QB as Wilson and Kaepernick were the new standard by which quarterbacks would be measured.

A few years later? Here we are.

pbmax
12-16-2016, 09:14 PM
2 out of 3 ain't bad

After an unnecessary roughness penalty, linebacker K.J. Wright was fined $48,620 as a repeat offender. Wright delivered a high hit to Packers tight end Richard Rodgers as Rodgers attempted to make a reception.

Cornerback Richard Sherman was fined $18,231 as a repeat offender for a hit on Packers wide receiver Davante Adams. Sherman was not flagged during the game.

No fine was given to Seahawks pass rusher Cliff Avril after Packers offensive lineman T.J. Lang accused Avril of hitting him below the belt.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/16/wright-sherman-fined-heavily-for-repeat-offenses/

pbmax
12-17-2016, 02:06 PM
http://www.footballzebras.com/2016/12/16/week-14-remainders-brady-signals-for-play-clock-reset-and-gets-it/

From an officiating standpoint, the rules of play say Sherman was allowed this hit. But the NFL review committee also considers player safety, which is why Sherman got fined. Video at site above.

UPDATE: Per ESPN (http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0601508361162201687-4), Seahawks defensive back Richard Sherman was fined for his hit on Packers receiver Devante Adams. Characterized as a “repeat offender,” Sherman was fined $18,231. It’s worth noting that a different part of the NFL’s Football Operations rules on the fines. For the most part, there is coordination with the Officiating Department. The hit was categorized under general unnecessary roughness and is entirely a judgment call, with Jon Runyan making the call on roughness fines. The hit was clean within the rules but the league prioritizes and maintains discretion over player safety.

http://www.footballzebras.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/gb-sea-sherman-hit.jpg