PDA

View Full Version : Heroes and Zeros - Packers vs. Seahawks

Joemailman
12-11-2016, 07:49 PM
Heroes

Aaron Rodgers - On target all day and gutted it out on 2 bad legs.

Davante Adams - The Fresno Flash set the tone with the early TD. Rodgers barely missed him on what would have been another TD.

Jordy Nelson - Not big stats but 2 crafty TD's

Monty - 86 total yards and a rushing TD.

Randall - 2 INT's. 1 probably took away a TD.

Datone Jones - 1 sack and active all day.

Dean Lowry - Alligator Arms with a sack and at least 1 pressure

T.J. Lang - Welcome back.

Mike McCarthy - Great play calling. More importantly, had his team superbly prepared to play this game.

Zeros

Don't really know.

Bossman641
12-11-2016, 08:01 PM
The dl looked good. Hopefully they can stay active going forward. Datone flashed and he's been quiet lately

RashanGary
12-11-2016, 08:07 PM
The dl looked good. Hopefully they can stay active going forward. Datone flashed and he's been quiet lately

Good point about Datone. Gonna need him with Perry out. If we can keep winning, it would be real interesting to get Perry back, fresh in the playoffs.

pbmax
12-11-2016, 09:21 PM
My only concern with Datone (and Julius) is their tendency to get pinched inside. Need to clean that up if Matthews is having his 1st and 2nd down reps reduced.

QBME
12-11-2016, 09:29 PM
We're hanging by a thread and need help.
Hero's - Green Bay Packers.
Zero's - Seattle Sea Hawks.

Thanks to the Postal Guy for giving the thread the respect it's due.

KYPack
12-11-2016, 09:35 PM
Hero Morgan Burnett Played rover, did some spy, & kept the back lined up all day. I've read here that Burnett and Dix both suck. They are a solid pair of safeties. Pay no attention to people who say anything contrary to that.

Dom Capers Installed a solid D gameplan vs a top team. Sure the D gets spanked from time to time, we don't have the top D personnel in the league, but Dom knows schemes that will be effective in some situations. When they don't get executed, we have troubles

Zero The snow. It should have been a total snow bowl. That would have made a perfect day.

run pMc
12-11-2016, 10:28 PM
Agree with KYP re: Burnett, and that he pairs nicely at S with HaHa. Playing Burnett at ILB in what McCarren was calling the Nitro Nickel gives them some flexibility. That does, however, put Hyde at Safety, which means they like him better out there than Brice.
Randall's first INT was a thing of beauty, and saved a TD and made a big momentum swing in the game.
Jordy was all over the place, it seemed like. Nice to see Adams gaining Rodgers trust too...they picked on Shead all day. Was kind of fun seeing Adams bury-block Richard Sherman on the Janis jet sweep.

Russell Wilson was off all game -- overthrowing guys, bad bounces off receivers hands, etc. Nice to see a good team have a 'mulligan' game against GB for once.
Noticed that Starks got a pretty quick hook. He's been a zero all season -- is it age, or something else? Last year he was different.

beveaux1
12-11-2016, 10:31 PM
Unfortunately, I think Starks is #3 on the depth chart. He may play, but very sparingly.

RashanGary
12-11-2016, 10:38 PM
I like that too, ky. We don't have one great safety, but two good ones. I'll add that when Randall and Rollins are healthy, we actually have a good secondary overall.

pbmax
12-11-2016, 10:48 PM
Unfortunately, I think Starks is #3 on the depth chart. He may play, but very sparingly.

Yeah, Starks was out there to give Monty a break, run a different personnel package and send a message to Michael about getting the audibles right.

I like that M3 put Michael back in. Almost as much as I love the Janis end around.

pbmax
12-11-2016, 10:50 PM
Hero Morgan Burnett Played rover, did some spy, & kept the back lined up all day. I've read here that Burnett and Dix both suck. They are a solid pair of safeties. Pay no attention to people who say anything contrary to that.

Dom Capers Installed a solid D gameplan vs a top team. Sure the D gets spanked from time to time, we don't have the top D personnel in the league, but Dom knows schemes that will be effective in some situations. When they don't get executed, we have troubles

Zero The snow. It should have been a total snow bowl. That would have made a perfect day.

That personnel group is small in the middle and I saw one play early where the Guard nearly trucked Burnett. But with the leaf, that proved to be a very effective defense. Even kept Wilson from breaking long runs.

But unheralded part of defense was keeping Graham in check. I think he had 3 targets and 2 catches, both were pretty short. Take a bow Hyde.

Best part of D was pass rush. Made the backends day.

George Cumby
12-11-2016, 11:09 PM
I work Sunday's and couldn't catch the game so I'm a little behind.

Now, I thought the draft and develop system is obsolete, our team is comprised of soft players, Randall is an ankle biter who won't make a difference, Adams sucks and what else?

I am so confused.

Smidgeon
12-12-2016, 01:20 AM
I'll let others chime in on this particular game, but I was thinking about something late in the game. From top to almost bottom, this year's draft class has shown they belong in the NFL.

Kenny Clark does yoeman's work in the middle, flashes at least once a game, and doesn't seem like a turnstile.
Jason Spriggs shows he belongs in a starting line somewhere
Kyler Fackrell is injured now but had some flash plays earlier in the year
Blake Martinez has been a starter since day 1
Dean Lowry has come on late
Trevor Davis had playing time earlier in the year, assumedly showing in practice he deserved it; jury is still out

The only one who hasn't played yet (I think) is Kyle Murphy--so incomplete

So far, no superstuds, but dependable NFL-quality players from all first 5 picks? That's pretty uncommon, I would think. Add R&R, Montgomery, Ryan and the Ripper from last year (as well as Hundley and Ringo still on the team to technically contributing), the Packers have young, very solid talent on the team.

What they don't have yet--since some of those could still blossom--is the superstar. GB is due for another of those, I think. Randall could be one, Clark could be one (considering the time it takes a d-lineman to adjust, etc). But still a very solid two drafts thus far.

texaspackerbacker
12-12-2016, 05:39 AM
Hero: many already mentioned but also Jayrone Elliot, Jake Ryan, and Ladarius Gunter

Zero: James Starks

I'd really like to see us draft a top flight Wide Receiver. Every time I see some really dominant guy like Beckham in other games, I wish we had somebody like that. We have a lot of decent WRs but it would be so great to have a superstar while Rodgers is still close to his prime. Also, I think WR is a position that is more predictable to be star quality as a #1 pick than say Corner or D Line or RB.

Fritz
12-12-2016, 06:18 AM
Y'know, we've been giving it to Stubby pretty relentlessly for his playcalling, myself included. So I've got to admit the guy called a great game. And he didn't take his foot off the gas. Maybe he's finally listening to PB. It's first downs, buddy, not just time.

Rodgers was already playing well, but somehow the mobility-limiting injuries seem to force him to focus more, to look for a receiver and throw the ball - no, zing the ball. So kudos to that guy.

Richard Rodgers should get some love for hanging on to a ball when KJ Wright cheap-shotted him.

And how 'bout that offensive line? Holy smokes. Incredible, how good they were.

Cheesehead Craig
12-12-2016, 08:25 AM
Rodgers was already playing well, but somehow the mobility-limiting injuries seem to force him to focus more, to look for a receiver and throw the ball - no, zing the ball. So kudos to that guy.

I was thinking this too. If he can't run around like he used to, he's forced to take what the defense gives more vs try the spectacular throw. The offense moved great without him trying his WTF passes.

Tony Oday
12-12-2016, 08:29 AM
Hero: many already mentioned but also Jayrone Elliot, Jake Ryan, and Ladarius Gunter

Zero: James Starks

I'd really like to see us draft a top flight Wide Receiver. Every time I see some really dominant guy like Beckham in other games, I wish we had somebody like that. We have a lot of decent WRs but it would be so great to have a superstar while Rodgers is still close to his prime. Also, I think WR is a position that is more predictable to be star quality as a #1 pick than say Corner or D Line or RB.
Tell that to the Vikings who have drafted two good WR since Moss.

Pugger
12-12-2016, 08:32 AM
Besides Starks my zeroes are injuries to Cook and Rodgers. :sad:

texaspackerbacker
12-12-2016, 09:25 AM
Y'know, we've been giving it to Stubby pretty relentlessly for his playcalling, myself included. So I've got to admit the guy called a great game. And he didn't take his foot off the gas. Maybe he's finally listening to PB. It's first downs, buddy, not just time.

I've been getting on McCarthy as much as anybody. He did all right yesterday, but it still pissed me off big time when we had that 4th and 1 (or was it 3rd and 1), and instead of Montgomery, it was Michael in there to run the play wrong. Several series including that one, his old mania for "run first" still came out.

ThunderDan
12-12-2016, 09:28 AM
I was thinking this too. If he can't run around like he used to, he's forced to take what the defense gives more vs try the spectacular throw. The offense moved great without him trying his WTF passes.

I was listening to talk radio this morning and MM told a reporter yesterday that after the first series and ARod's calf injury, they removed a large chunk of the possible play calls from the game plan.

Fritz
12-12-2016, 09:43 AM
Good point. Rarely do we fans take those sorts of issues into account.

pbmax
12-12-2016, 10:27 AM
Taking away part of the game plan might explain those two FB dives on 2nd and 3rd and short in the first half.

Maxie the Taxi
12-12-2016, 11:33 AM
I've been getting on McCarthy as much as anybody. He did all right yesterday, but it still pissed me off big time when we had that 4th and 1 (or was it 3rd and 1), and instead of Montgomery, it was Michael in there to run the play wrong. Several series including that one, his old mania for "run first" still came out.[Existing playoff run "homer" mode] I saw more imaginative plays in the Cowboy offense against the Giants than I did watching the Packers all season. [Re-entering "homer" play-off, "Stubby is a God" Packer fan mode.]

woodbuck27
12-12-2016, 04:33 PM
The offensive line was solid in Pass Support.

Jordy Nelson is a delight to watch.

MM put that end around back in (after the Houston game) and this time it went for big.