PDA

View Full Version : Official Bear Week II Discussion Thread

Joemailman
12-12-2016, 08:07 PM
Time to even things up. Bears lead all-time series 93-92-6.

Packers are 15-7 vs. Bears under McCarthy

Packers have won 6 straight vs. Bears in Chicago. Last loss was in 2010.

Joemailman
12-12-2016, 08:14 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/b4/1b/f6/b41bf6362516169015658866cbd4358b.jpg

Pugger
12-13-2016, 08:52 AM
I understand it is going to be a tad nippy in Chicago on Sunday. My biggest fear is our guys playing on the crappy turf in Soldier Field. I pray nobody gets hurt because of it.

pbmax
12-13-2016, 11:44 AM
Aaron Schatz �� �� ‏@FO_ASchatz 11m11 minutes ago
Weighted DVOA Top 12 preview: NE DAL ATL KC PIT GB OAK WAS BAL PHI SEA NYG More later at http://www.footballoutsiders.com .

That is sixth, in case you were gearing up for counting.

pbmax
12-13-2016, 11:44 AM
Brian Burke ‏@bburkeESPN 2h2 hours ago
Team EPA post-week 14. Pro tip: perpendicular distance to the Fisher Line indicates overall team strength.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzkVzWIWIAUNw-X.jpg:large

Fritz
12-13-2016, 11:55 AM
Aaron Schatz 🏈 📎 ‏@FO_ASchatz 11m11 minutes ago
Weighted DVOA Top 12 preview: NE DAL ATL KC PIT GB OAK WAS BAL PHI SEA NYG More later at http://www.footballoutsiders.com .

That is sixth, in case you were gearing up for counting.

What the heck does "DVOA" even mean?

Chicago played Detroit really well. One slip-up here, and we'll all be back into the "Fire Somebody Now" threads.

pbmax
12-13-2016, 12:17 PM
What the heck does "DVOA" even mean?

Chicago played Detroit really well. One slip-up here, and we'll all be back into the "Fire Somebody Now" threads.

You'll note that neither Detroit nor Chicago appear in the Top 12.

DVOA stand for Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. They take each play, compare it to the rest of the league (the average), weight it (frequency and success-did you actually get a first down on 3rd and 9 or did you just get 8 yards and punt) and score them, and adjust the result for the strength of defense you have played against.

In this case, Weighted means the most recent results count more, going back 8 or 10 weeks.

hoosier
12-13-2016, 01:33 PM
Brian Burke ‏@bburkeESPN 2h2 hours ago

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzkVzWIWIAUNw-X.jpg:large

I would have thought the Chiefs would be weighted a little better than this chart suggests....

Especially when you include their head coach.

pbmax
12-13-2016, 02:38 PM
DVOA likes them better lately (4th), Pro Football Reference has them 6th. Not sure why EPA is not as excited.

superfan
12-13-2016, 05:19 PM
Gotta love Bear Week, just another excuse to rewatch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdvEN0jpAWE

pbmax
12-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Special game. Hawk caused a fumble.

Fritz
12-14-2016, 08:38 AM
I'm getting that feeling that either this week in Chicago or next week at home, the Pack is going to stumble and we're all going to be back to wanting to fire someone.

So I'd like to say "I told ya so" and be there first: Fire someone! Not now, but as soon as they lose!

Joemailman
12-14-2016, 09:00 AM
I'm getting that feeling that either this week in Chicago or next week at home, the Pack is going to stumble and we're all going to be back to wanting to fire someone.

So I'd like to say "I told ya so" and be there first: Fire someone! Not now, but as soon as they lose!

Keep it up Fritz. Your whammy last week worked wonders. Bretsky giving you any pointers?

pbmax
12-14-2016, 09:11 AM
I wonder if Bretsky has offered to buy Mad a Fresno State sweatshirt yet by way of apology.

Joemailman
12-14-2016, 10:30 AM
I'll be surprised if the Packers don't take care of business against a Bears team led by a 3rd string QB. Bears chief strength defensively is their pass rush, but the Packers should be able to nullify that. Protect Rodgers, and this should be a win. It'll be cold there, maybe in single digits. They'll be getting snow, but right now they're saying snow should be over by kickoff.

pbmax
12-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Remember Caleb Hanie!

Or Paul F**king Justin.

gbgary
12-14-2016, 11:07 AM
Remember Caleb Hanie!

still trying to forget. that was toooooo close.

Rutnstrut
12-14-2016, 11:54 AM
This is the type of game that really scares me. I can see stubby and the team letting up a bit on this one due to Rodgers injury and expecting the Bears to lay down.

Cheesehead Craig
12-14-2016, 12:17 PM
This is the type of game that really scares me. I can see stubby and the team letting up a bit on this one due to Rodgers injury and expecting the Bears to lay down.

You think the Pack are going to lose every week.

Fritz
12-14-2016, 12:50 PM
Keep it up Fritz. Your whammy last week worked wonders. Bretsky giving you any pointers?

No need. Pessimism is one of my chief talents.

Patler
12-14-2016, 01:03 PM

I see it just the opposite. MM has done well when the underdog and when at a disadvantage due to injuries, etc. (the four game losing streak this year not withstanding.) It seems like he focuses his game plan on fewer, more certain plays, and he looks at every possession, every play as something to be cherished during the game (especially early). When he is a front runner, things going well, etc. his play calling sometimes seems less focused, and his game plan too diverse; and before you know it its the middle of the third quarter and its a one score game.

RashanGary
12-14-2016, 01:06 PM
I see it just the opposite. MM has done well when the underdog and when at a disadvantage due to injuries, etc. (the four game losing streak this year not withstanding.) It seems like he focuses his game plan on fewer, more certain plays, and he looks at every possession, every play as something to be cherished during the game (especially early). When he is a front runner, things going well, etc. his play calling sometimes seems less focused, and his game plan too diverse; and before you know it its the middle of the third quarter and its a one score game.

I see this too. Beginning of the season too, tinkers and dinks and then really hunkers down when their back is finally against the wall. Like more focused on future than now at times. Gets the same when favored. He really is a great back against the wall coach.

Cheesehead Craig
12-14-2016, 01:12 PM
No need. Pessimism is one of my chief talents.

Along with an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope

Maxie the Taxi
12-14-2016, 01:43 PM
Along with an almost fanatical devotion to the PopeWhen did Drew Barrymore become Pope?

Fritz
12-14-2016, 02:06 PM
When did Drew Barrymore become Pope?

This was news to me as well.

But she is, one must admit, uniquely qualified to be Pope. At least, if my readings about early popes is true, she is well-qualified. She has a history of partying, of kinky (and many) sexual encounters, and a yearning for the spotlight.

I don't know if she's Catholic, though.

hoosier
12-14-2016, 02:36 PM
Did the Pope flash David Letterman?

pbmax
12-14-2016, 04:03 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 2h2 hours ago
#Packers coach Mike McCarthy says Aaron Rodgers won't practice today and probably won't tomorrow but nothing being "held back" in game plan.

Joemailman
12-14-2016, 04:08 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Aaron Rodgers (calf) not practicing, as coach Mike McCarthy said earlier. No sign of Rodgers even in the Hutson Center as Brett Hundley handled all the starter reps during the open portion.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Randall Cobb not with the receivers. He joined Julius Peppers and Nick Perry riding the exercise bikes during the open portion of practice. Cobb missed a few snaps on Sunday because of an ankle injury. Perry didn't play because of his broken hand, and Peppers is likely being held out for rest.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

No sign of Aaron Rodgers or James Starks at practice. Rodgers was not expected to practice because of his calf injury. No explanation yet for Starks' absence. OLB Kyler Fackrell and LB Blake Martinez returned.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

The Packers signed LB Jordan Tripp, a 2014 fifth-round pick of the Dolphins who was most recently with the Seahawks. He takes the open roster spot of suspended DT Mike Pennel.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Temperatures may not get above zero for Sunday's Packers-Bears game at Soldier Field. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said they will practice indoors on Wednesday and move outside for 11-on-11 drills on Thursday. Expects it to be like the 2007 game at Chicago late in the year when it was as cold as windy as McCarthy has ever seen. "The biggest thing is handling the football and the fundamentals, which is why it's important to get outside," McCarthy said. "Wind is what you watch for. When you get those gusts down there by the lake – all those things factors."

pbmax
12-14-2016, 04:15 PM
Getting Martinez back would be big. Holy Fackrell too.

Maxie the Taxi
12-14-2016, 04:21 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Aaron Rodgers (calf) not practicing, as coach Mike McCarthy said earlier. No sign of Rodgers even in the Hutson Center as Brett Hundley handled all the starter reps during the open portion.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Randall Cobb not with the receivers. He joined Julius Peppers and Nick Perry riding the exercise bikes during the open portion of practice. Cobb missed a few snaps on Sunday because of an ankle injury. Perry didn't play because of his broken hand, and Peppers is likely being held out for rest.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

No sign of Aaron Rodgers or James Starks at practice. Rodgers was not expected to practice because of his calf injury. No explanation yet for Starks' absence. OLB Kyler Fackrell and LB Blake Martinez returned.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

The Packers signed LB Jordan Tripp, a 2014 fifth-round pick of the Dolphins who was most recently with the Seahawks. He takes the open roster spot of suspended DT Mike Pennel.

Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Temperatures may not get above zero for Sunday's Packers-Bears game at Soldier Field. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said they will practice indoors on Wednesday and move outside for 11-on-11 drills on Thursday. Expects it to be like the 2007 game at Chicago late in the year when it was as cold as windy as McCarthy has ever seen. "The biggest thing is handling the football and the fundamentals, which is why it's important to get outside," McCarthy said. "Wind is what you watch for. When you get those gusts down there by the lake – all those things factors."Posting all this stuff is thoughtful and requires real dedication, Joe...but not as much dedication as this:
Christmas Saved: USPS Carrier Pulls Packages From Burning Mail Truck (http://www.twcnews.com/nc/triangle-sandhills/news/2016/12/13/christmas-saved-usps-carrier-pulls-packages-from-burning-mail-truck.html)

It's good to know I can count on you to jump in there and save my posts if Packerrats ever starts on fire. :p

gbgary
12-14-2016, 04:41 PM
http://www.packers.com/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/article_images/2016/12-december/161214-tv-map.jpg

Cheesehead Craig
12-14-2016, 04:57 PM
It's off to the bar this week to watch the game. Vikes play the same time. I could use a good, rowdy crowd for a game this week.

denverYooper
12-14-2016, 05:13 PM
Along with an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope

Among our chief weapons are Pessimism
Pesimism and Fear
Fear and Pessimism
Our two weapons are Fear and Pessimism
And Ruthless Efficiency
Our *three* weapons are fear, pessimism, and ruthless efficiency...
And an almost fanatical devotion to the pope

pbmax
12-14-2016, 05:43 PM
Starks is in concussion protocol.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzrKcfHXAAAbabu.jpg:large

gbgary
12-14-2016, 06:09 PM
starks concussed? i missed that.

Joemailman
12-14-2016, 06:14 PM
Packers favored by 6.5. They are 7-5-1 ATS.

Lions are 5 point underdogs. They are the same ATS.

Fritz
12-14-2016, 06:59 PM
Did the Pope flash David Letterman?

Is the Pope Catholic?

Smidgeon
12-14-2016, 07:01 PM
http://www.packers.com/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/article_images/2016/12-december/161214-tv-map.jpg

Another game I can't watch due to arbitrary NFL dual team market rules.

Fritz
12-14-2016, 07:13 PM
Me too. To the bar!

Harlan Huckleby
12-14-2016, 08:01 PM
How can they not play the packer game in western WI? I like to watch NFC North games. I can't be the only fan that is excited about the division race. They play all three division games at noon. Forget about recording one - the broadcasts constantly announce scores of other games, spoiling them.

It seems like the NFL does so many obviously stupid things to annoy fans out of watching more games. If they didn't constantly give spoiler scores, their NFL game day package might be worth something. The broadcasts are like ticker tapes for betters and fantasy football geeks.

hoosier
12-14-2016, 08:31 PM

He banged his head against on his offensive line one too many times.

hoosier
12-14-2016, 08:33 PM
How can they not play the packer game in western WI? I like to watch NFC North games. I can't be the only fan that is excited about the division race. They play all three division games at noon. Forget about recording one - the broadcasts constantly announce scores of other games, spoiling them.

It seems like the NFL does so many obviously stupid things to annoy fans out of watching more games. If they didn't constantly give spoiler scores, their NFL game day package might be worth something. The broadcasts are like ticker tapes for betters and fantasy football geeks.

You pretty much answered your own question there. The NFLs market growth these days is in fantasy participants, not die hard fans.

Harlan Huckleby
12-14-2016, 08:40 PM

This explanation sounds like the family dog was "sent to a farm where he'll have plenty of room to run and play."

Please, Ted, put Starks on IR and end the suffering.

Harlan Huckleby
12-14-2016, 08:46 PM
It just occurred to me that nobody under 50 probably knows what a "ticker tape" is. These are people who think "the wireless" refers to a router.

https://michaelhendrick.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/gomez.jpg

Maxie the Taxi
12-14-2016, 10:29 PM
It just occurred to me that nobody under 50 probably knows what a "ticker tape" is. These are people who think "the wireless" refers to a router.

I never heard anyone call 'em a "wireless." Geez, for a whippersnapper you really ARE out of it, Harlan! hahahaha
http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaea_prd/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-cpo-master-catalog/default/dwb082d458/product_media/ryo/ryorzrr163gk/images/xlarge/ryorzrr163gk.jpg

Pugger
12-15-2016, 07:54 AM
Thankfully we can watch our game on the computer via a sling box.

Tony Oday
12-15-2016, 07:57 AM
Packers get trounced 24-10.

Pugger
12-15-2016, 08:01 AM
The Bears have yet to score 24 points in a game so far this season.

Guiness
12-15-2016, 08:20 AM
Detroit news saying this is predicted to be the coldest game ever at Soldier field, -1F (-18C) at kickoff.

deake
12-15-2016, 09:01 AM
Latest weather forecast for the Packers game, -1 with wind chill -18. Reminds me of a game I went to @ Solder Field, was so cold all the restrooms froze up and all the concession stands were closed. They didn’t take tickets, just opened the gates and a few hardy souls walked in. The stands were about 1/3 full and everyone sat on the side were the sun was shining. But Chesty Morgan did her thing.

Pugger
12-15-2016, 10:29 AM

This is funny and sad at the same time.

Cheesehead Craig
12-15-2016, 10:46 AM

I guess he was in a car accident on Monday.

gbgary
12-15-2016, 10:48 AM
I guess he was in a car accident on Monday.

yup!

Fritz
12-15-2016, 11:29 AM
Latest weather forecast for the Packers game, -1 with wind chill -18. Reminds me of a game I went to @ Solder Field, was so cold all the restrooms froze up and all the concession stands were closed. They didn’t take tickets, just opened the gates and a few hardy souls walked in. The stands were about 1/3 full and everyone sat on the side were the sun was shining. But Chesty Morgan did her thing.

Thought this might bring back memories of that day, Deake:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStrLRAymU0JXN2ahGoxHMNf4K5JCM28 FlObj2OMfuw1Lnb7nuD_A

And especially some memories of ol' Chesty. If it was as cold as you remember, man, her nipples must've been stiff that day!

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStk1kI_5lachZ9F-klVh975jAo6Fh5htBWVTRYmfBFcpr3aY3C

deake
12-15-2016, 12:26 PM
It was between plays and all at once everyone started cheering, I looked around and there she was a couple of rows back, her sweater up, warming up the place. Had body guards sitting on each side of her. Funny I don't remember that much about the game except it was cold.

Fritz
12-15-2016, 12:30 PM
It was between plays and all at once everyone started cheering, I looked around and there she was a couple of rows back, her sweater up, warming up the place. Had body guards sitting on each side of her. Funny I don't remember that much about the game except it was cold.

As low as her fruit was hanging, I'm sure she didn't have to lift her sweater up very far to reveal her glorious mams.

I wonder who won that game.

gbgary
12-15-2016, 01:19 PM
was so cold all the restrooms froze up

that happened here in dallas on the Packers last game of the '89 season in troy's (and Sterling's) rookie year. Packers won and finished 10-6 and missed the playoffs. i was there. the outside temp was 23 but in the stadium it stayed 10 (the overnight low). in a weird scheduling quirk the Packers played dal twice that season (won both). Ed West and Jeff Query got tds from Majik. dal's td was a fumble return by jack del rio.

beat chi twice too.

pbmax
12-16-2016, 03:01 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cz03ILhW8AA5eTM.jpg:large

Cheesehead Craig
12-16-2016, 03:11 PM
Fackrell was a limited participant but it had nothing to do with injury.

pbmax
12-16-2016, 04:35 PM
Fackrell was a limited participant but it had nothing to do with injury.

?? Did he fall down again?

Freak Out
12-16-2016, 07:07 PM
that happened here in dallas on the Packers last game of the '89 season in troy's (and Sterling's) rookie year. Packers won and finished 10-6 and missed the playoffs. i was there. the outside temp was 23 but in the stadium it stayed 10 (the overnight low). in a weird scheduling quirk the Packers played dal twice that season (won both). Ed West and Jeff Query got tds from Majik. dal's td was a fumble return by jack del rio.

beat chi twice too.

That was the year we had to wait and see if Cincinnati could beat.....who was it? They won and GB was in.....didn't happen though.

hoosier
12-16-2016, 07:46 PM
Minnesota.

Freak Out
12-17-2016, 12:21 AM
That's right. I remember during the broadcast they kept cutting to Majik and a couple other players who were watching the game.

gbgary
12-17-2016, 02:03 PM
That's right. I remember during the broadcast they kept cutting to Majik and a couple other players who were watching the game.

yup...i knew it was cin that screwed us but i didn't remember min. dang it. that was a good team too. we beat the montana lead 49ers that year and Sharp was a beast. 90 something catches for 1400 something yards. smh

pbmax
12-17-2016, 03:36 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 29m29 minutes ago
#Packers have added practice squad QB Joe Callahan to the 53-man, source said. No sign Rodgers not playing. May be precautionary.

MIGHT JUST BE TROLLING BEARS WITH THREE LEGIT QBS ON ROSTER.

hoosier
12-17-2016, 03:56 PM
Or maybe Callahan got another offer? Yeah, probably more likely either trolling or real concerns about Rodgers's cow.

ThunderDan
12-17-2016, 04:33 PM
Or maybe Callahan got another offer? Yeah, probably more likely either trolling or real concerns about Rodgers's cow.

What's wrong with ARod's cow? Does it have a calf issue also?

Smidgeon
12-17-2016, 05:51 PM
Who'd they cut to fit him? After Tripp, they were at 53, weren't they?

Teamcheez1
12-17-2016, 05:55 PM
Who'd they cut to fit him? After Tripp, they were at 53, weren't they?

Fan favorite LB Carl Bradford was waived.

QBME
12-17-2016, 07:16 PM
As low as her fruit was hanging, I'm sure she didn't have to lift her sweater up very far to reveal her glorious mams.

I wonder who won that game.

I was at the game in 1983. Bears won. Packers held the lead until about 1 minute when Kevin Butler kicked about a 25 yard field goal.. I was warm through the enitire game until the last Bear's drive. I've never turned so cold so fast.

pbmax
12-17-2016, 07:48 PM

Did the cow have a calf?

pbmax
12-17-2016, 07:50 PM
I was at the game in 1983. Bears won. Packers held the lead until about 1 minute when Kevin Butler kicked about a 25 yard field goal.. I was warm through the enitire game until the last Bear's drive. I've never turned so cold so fast.

The only kicker I have ever hated. That guy was 25 times more obnoxious that McMahon. I wasn't even a Packer fan and I hated Butt-head.

pbmax
12-17-2016, 07:50 PM

I am still rooting for the guy. Too bad.

QBME
12-17-2016, 08:02 PM
The only kicker I have ever hated. That guy was 25 times more obnoxious that McMahon. I wasn't even a Packer fan and I hated Butt-head.

Yup. Obnoxious is the correct descriptive. Worked out with the O-Linemen. Thought he was tough. Punk.

pbmax
12-17-2016, 08:06 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 3h3 hours ago
#Packers promote Callahan as 3rd quarterback and rule out RB James Starks and OLB Nick Perry for Sunday. Bradford released as been reported.

Perry was doubtful on the last injury report of the week. Got to think they feel he will be back this year. Would be bonus for defense all around.

hoosier
12-17-2016, 08:10 PM
What's wrong with ARod's cow? Does it have a calf issue also?

Did the cow have a calf?

The cow indeed has a calf. Reportedly it is not as big as the last one, so there is hope it will resolve before......they come home.

hoosier
12-17-2016, 08:11 PM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 3h3 hours ago
#Packers promote Callahan as 3rd quarterback and rule out RB James Starks and OLB Nick Perry for Sunday. Bradford released as been reported.

Perry was doubtful on the last injury report of the week. Got to think they feel he will be back this year. Would be bonus for defense all around.

For some reason I have this mental image, call it a vision, of Perry trying to bring down Golden Tate or maybe Zeke Elliot with his club and failing.

RashanGary
12-17-2016, 09:26 PM

I remember that game. Was that 1989? I was 8. My dad was watching it. I remember him throwing a fit and saying if you need help to get in, you don't deserve it. And they got what they deserved.

I knew almost every penalty and rule by the time I was 10. My oldest son is the same way. He knew so many complex rules by the time he was 10. He's a giants fan though. He was 6 years old when we watched the giants beat the patriots in 2007 Super Bowl. Ever since then.

pbmax
12-17-2016, 11:51 PM
For some reason I have this mental image, call it a vision, of Perry trying to bring down Golden Tate or maybe Zeke Elliot with his club and failing.

I hope he destroys his club on Golden Tate's arms as Tate commits an OPI trying to prevent an interception.

Trading Perry's cast for a broken Tate arm will be satisfying.

Pugger
12-18-2016, 07:40 AM

I wonder if we'll bring him back to take Callahan's PS spot?

Fritz
12-18-2016, 08:10 AM

1983. No, I think Deake was referencing a 1963 game and Chesty Morgan, not 1983 and Morganna.

George Cumby
12-18-2016, 08:15 AM

Ikr.

Just the name brings the bile up.