PDA

View Full Version : Packers sign linebacker Jordan Tripp

gbgary
12-13-2016, 09:25 PM
per Adam Caplan: #Packers are signing LB Jordan Tripp to their active roster, source said. He was one of 3 players to work out for the team today.
@caplannfl

CaptainKickass
12-13-2016, 10:19 PM
From here: http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/former-griz-tripp-released-by-seahawks-picked-up-by-packers/article_ac7edcda-2a6c-522a-a66c-6d79fdd1c1d2.html

Packers sign ILB Jordan Tripp to fill open roster spot
19 comments
Green Bay added an athletic inside linebacker, likely in an effort to help the depth at a position that has been ravaged by injury.
by Evan "Tex" Western@TexWestern Dec 13, 2016, 7:00pm CST

Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

The Green Bay Packers have an open roster spot no more. After going about a week with 52 men on the active roster due to Mike Pennel’s suspension, the Packers have reportedly made a move to bolster the linebackers.

ESPN’s Adam Caplan reports this evening that the Packers are signing linebacker Jordan Tripp to the active roster. Tripp was earlier reported to be in Green Bay for a workout along with two other players: linebacker Frank Beltre and defensive tackle David Moala.

Tripp, who played college football at Montana, is in his third NFL season and has bounced around from team to team in his brief career. He was most recently with the Seattle Seahawks, who signed him to the practice squad after training camp and then added him to the active roster in October. Tripp has played in seven games this year for Seattle, and he was the team’s starter at strong-side linebacker against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers three weeks ago. However, he was waived with an injury designation on Friday due to a thigh injury.

He began his NFL career as a fifth-round pick of the Miami Dolphins in 2014, and he played 13 games as a rookie. Tripp then failed to make the team out of training camp in 2015 but was signed to the Jacksonville Jaguars’ practice squad before being signed to their active roster. They then released him at final cuts this September, after which he landed in Seattle.

Tripp possesses excellent athleticism for an inside linebacker, which should come as little surprise as both the Seahawks and Packers value elite athletic traits. His 2014 Combine performance was exemplary, as he ran a 4.67-second 40-yard dash, posted a 37.5” vertical, and pulled off times of 3.96 seconds in the short shuttle and 6.89 seconds in the 3-cone drill. He did all that while standing 6’ 2-3/4” and weighing in at 234 pounds.

This instantly makes him one of the Packers’ best athletes at the inside linebacker position, the position he will play in Green Bay. He has played primarily in 4-3 systems in the past, but has played all three linebacker positions in that alignment, making his transition to the inside in a 3-4 a bit easier.

Adding an inside linebacker is a logical move at present, as the team has been forced to play strong safety Morgan Burnett at the position in recent weeks. Blake Martinez and Jake Ryan have both missed significant time with injuries, while Clay Matthews continues to be limited with his shoulder injury and played exclusively at left outside linebacker last Sunday in the Packers’ win over Seattle.

Guiness
12-14-2016, 08:11 AM
I'm a surprised they didn't bring in Lattimore or Mulumba.

Fritz
12-14-2016, 08:34 AM
per Adam Caplan: #Packers are signing LB Jordan Tripp to their active roster, source said. He was one of 3 players to work out for the team today.
@caplannfl

The Bruce Wilkerson/Howard Green Award nominee, Jordan Tripp.

Pugger
12-14-2016, 09:05 AM
I'm a surprised they didn't bring in Lattimore or Mulumba.

He must be better than those other 2...

Harlan Huckleby
12-14-2016, 11:18 AM
He must be better than those other 2...

Or more versatile

gbgary
12-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Or more versatile

yup...supposedly can play all lb positions. he's for depth later if needed.

Maxie the Taxi
12-14-2016, 12:45 PM
I still think they should convert Christian Ringo into an ILB. This guy Tripp seems like a reach. But TT has surprised me before. lol

Fritz
12-14-2016, 12:55 PM
I know Ringo played a little bit against Seattle. Other than his running-start sack, how did he play? I was kinda watching Lowry when he was in on the line.

Patler
12-14-2016, 01:22 PM
Or more versatile

Lattimore played outside for a year, then was moved inside. He was versatile, just not real good. Real good on ST's though.

He also gave one of the nicest, most heartfelt interviews when the Packers let him go as a UFA and he signed with the Jets. He thanked many in the front office by name for recruiting him as an undrafted rookie out of college, and for keeping him for four years. He thanked many on the coaching staff by name for making him a better player and adult. He praised the fans and the city. He seemed like a genuine, upstanding young man who had really appreciated the opportunity he had for four years, even though the Packers weren't interested in signing him to a second contract.

Maxie the Taxi
12-14-2016, 01:36 PM
I know Ringo played a little bit against Seattle. Other than his running-start sack, how did he play? I was kinda watching Lowry when he was in on the line.I think he was in for 11 plays. He had one unassisted tackle and a forced fumble.

Harlan Huckleby
12-14-2016, 02:03 PM
He thanked many in the front office by name for recruiting him as an undrafted rookie out of college, and for keeping him for four years. He thanked many on the coaching staff by name for making him a better player and adult. He praised the fans and the city. He seemed like a genuine, upstanding young man who had really appreciated the opportunity he had for four years, even though the Packers weren't interested in signing him to a second contract.

So what you're saying is he couldn't be troubled to make even a brief mention of thanks to his lord and savior.

good riddance

Patler
12-14-2016, 02:33 PM
So what you're saying is he couldn't be troubled to make even a brief mention of thanks to his lord and savior.

good riddance

Just for the heck of it, I Googled "Lattimore - Packers - God". I got a link to a statement he released, saying basically what I said above. He concluded with:

"God Bless all.”

Harlan Huckleby
12-14-2016, 03:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSyx6DaUwxA

Patler
12-14-2016, 03:37 PM
I think that's Lattimore on the right. He aged a little in NY.
Is the other one AJ Hawk?

pbmax
12-14-2016, 04:18 PM
I know Ringo played a little bit against Seattle. Other than his running-start sack, how did he play? I was kinda watching Lowry when he was in on the line.

I saw him in the backfield 3 times, one was his CFL running start pass rush.

The other two I can't say if he defeated a block or just hit a gap fast.

I do know this, Guion cannot be the full time NT is he is going to get turned out of his gap that often. Needs to punch off block and slide back to control it. What success Seattle had (except for the one big cutback run) went right through his gap opposite Daniels.

Maxie the Taxi
12-14-2016, 04:27 PM
I saw him in the backfield 3 times, one was his CFL running start pass rush.

The other two I can't say if he defeated a block or just hit a gap fast.

I do know this, Guion cannot be the full time NT is he is going to get turned out of his gap that often. Needs to punch off block and slide back to control it. What success Seattle had (except for the one big cutback run) went right through his gap opposite Daniels.There are Fat Guys, Really Fat Guys and Gilbert Brown. We need one of those cause I don't think Really Fat Pennell's going to stick.

QBME
12-14-2016, 05:09 PM
The Bruce Wilkerson/Howard Green Award nominee, Jordan Tripp.

Potential Barney Fuckdoggle?

run pMc
12-15-2016, 10:39 AM
An athletic guy who went from Montana to starting for Seattle? Not a bad pickup...at least to kick the tires on and see if he can play ST or spot duty at ILB. Probably can't play Burnett at ILB a lot with CHI and MIN up next.

Maxie the Taxi
12-15-2016, 11:07 AM
Potential Barney Fuckdoggle?Potential Howard Green. :wink:

Fritz
12-15-2016, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't be happy, but it would be sorta amusing if Tripp gets called for Tripping.

CaptainKickass
12-15-2016, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't be happy, but it would be sorta amusing if Tripp gets called for Tripping.

https://jellospillsthejuice.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/why-you-trippin-294869.jpg

Fritz
12-15-2016, 12:41 PM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9kRilZrJJMOEHf_wbWDCAkfsM-7sxAeR7VRLiHEsRl2VfNOyuOg