PDA

View Full Version : studs 'n' duds - bears

Harlan Huckleby
12-18-2016, 03:29 PM
stud: jordy, arod
dud: the whole defense

ps. I think Michael is a stud, but I'm biased in his favor. I thought Monty was indecisive on too many runs.

Joemailman
12-18-2016, 03:33 PM
Studs:

Montgomery
Peppers - Strip sack turned game around
Ha-Ha - 2 INT's
Cook - Best game as a Packer
Hyde - INT and saved the game at the end.

Duds:

Adams - Dropped 2 TD's
Randall: penalty, gave up a touchdown, missed tackles, overall bad day.

Rutnstrut
12-18-2016, 03:35 PM
Duds- stubby, Capers, the defense, The Fraud.
Studs-Arod, Jordy, Monty, Cook.

gbgary
12-18-2016, 03:35 PM
adams was a dud today.

Harlan Huckleby
12-18-2016, 03:36 PM
I was going to name the front 7 as a dud because Howard ran through them like shit through a goose. But the DBs were shaky too.

gbgary
12-18-2016, 04:09 PM
Rodgers, Monty, Cook, the o-line, and Michael, were studs of the highest order today.

Teamcheez1
12-18-2016, 04:24 PM
Clay Matthews was invisible today. Did our inside LB's make a single play?

gbgary
12-18-2016, 04:27 PM
clay's hurt...he's forgiven. everyone else, AND CAPERS, nope.

Freak Out
12-18-2016, 04:36 PM
Clay Matthews was invisible today. Did our inside LB's make a single play?

I remember one play Clay was bullied like a little girl out there.

The Shadow
12-18-2016, 04:57 PM
A small 'Yay' for the much-maligned Micah Hyde, who batted away a touchdown toss that would have sunk us.

Joemailman
12-18-2016, 05:04 PM
A shout out to Goode/Schum/Crosby who had to execute the winning FG twice on a day when no kick is a gimme.

oldbutnotdeadyet
12-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Studs - winning when we had to

Duds - needing a miracle pass to win when we had game in the bag. Remember, I have a very old heart.

Iron Mike
12-18-2016, 05:15 PM

Agreed.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15589890_10154740567099014_193348571030593188_n.jp g?oh=78f04611a2a0499f338e03d0a14ceb91&oe=58DE7198

woodbuck27
12-18-2016, 05:20 PM
A small 'Yay' for the much-maligned Micah Hyde, who batted away a touchdown toss that would have sunk us.

Yes .... that play saved our teams ass.

woodbuck27
12-18-2016, 05:21 PM
dud: the whole defense

ps. I think Michael is a stud, but I'm biased in his favor. I thought Monty was indecisive on too many runs.

Ty Montgomery Highlights and they are very impressive:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/green-bay-packers/0ap3000000758903/Ty-Montgomery-Week-15-highlights

Freak Out
12-18-2016, 05:46 PM
How about Lange? The fucker is playing with a broken foot right?

pbmax
12-18-2016, 06:09 PM
Jordy had two drops before his heroic last catch.

Patler
12-18-2016, 07:44 PM
Jordy had two drops before his heroic last catch.

Sort of makes him a recovering dud, rather than a stud.

Pugger
12-18-2016, 07:50 PM
How about Lange? The fucker is playing with a broken foot right?

Godgers is right. Lang is a damn warrior.

esoxx
12-18-2016, 07:56 PM
Stud: Don Barclay

He ran in when Linsley lost a shoe and delivered a crisp shotgun snap in conditions not meant for man nor beast.

Fuckdoogle material all the way.

Fritz
12-18-2016, 08:01 PM
Stud: Don Barclay

He ran in when Linsley lost a shoe and delivered a crisp shotgun snap in conditions not meant for man nor beast.

Fuckdoogle material all the way.

This kind of incisive posting is why I come to Packerrats!!

Also, yes, Adams was a shart today. Rodgers was very good, and I eat take back all the mean things I said about him when he didn't play well, such as wanting them to trade him and so on. Whatever ailed him before seems to have left him.

I left for about ten minutes after the Pack went up 27 - 10, thinking, stupidly, it was in the bag. Doh! So I was a dud there for a while today.

esoxx
12-18-2016, 08:06 PM
Look for Adams to have a big bounce back game next week against the Vikings. They'll feed him the rock early on to get his confidence rolling and go from there.

Stud: Adams (week 16). Saying it now.

Zool
12-18-2016, 09:47 PM
Adams plays well on turf and indoors. Soft!

RashanGary
12-19-2016, 12:38 AM
Adams is a very young 3rd year player. He's Just getting comfortable in a very tough offense for receivers. His star is pointing up, up, up! Glad to see AR go back to him. We need him and Jordy and Montgomery to carry us through.

Defensively, we need our health situation to keep improving. Perry with fresh legs is going to be a bull if we can get to the post season. Matthews legs are getting fresh too, playing less. If his shoulder gets strong for the push our defense is looking good.

We need Randall to find a groove.

It's no sure thing. We have some ifs, but the ifs have possible answers so there is hope for a championship now.

Fritz
12-19-2016, 06:23 AM
While I am extremely glad the Packers are in the position in which they find themselves, I also foresee another "just falling a little short" playoff run, should they get there. It's the defense. Yes, I do know the Packers have an injured and MIA Clay Matthews and were missing Nick Perry and Jayrone Elliot and so on. But the Bears were missing nine starters, yet Barkely really did, as Burkhardt and Lynch pointed out, look like Aaron Rodgers in the fourth quarter. The Packer defense has no punch, no real nastiness that a great defense has. The secondary doesn't hit guys; they just drag them down. And I don't know if Randall;s injury is still affecting him, but they need a stud cover corner, but he was awful. In addition, he gave lots of ammo to those who call him an ankle-biting tackler.

They just don't have the defense. Kudos to McCarthy for transforming this offense on the fly - first time he's done that in a couple of years - but the defense is just not championship caliber.

beveaux1
12-19-2016, 07:54 AM
While I am extremely glad the Packers are in the position in which they find themselves, I also foresee another "just falling a little short" playoff run, should they get there. It's the defense. Yes, I do know the Packers have an injured and MIA Clay Matthews and were missing Nick Perry and Jayrone Elliot and so on. But the Bears were missing nine starters, yet Barkely really did, as Burkhardt and Lynch pointed out, look like Aaron Rodgers in the fourth quarter. The Packer defense has no punch, no real nastiness that a great defense has. The secondary doesn't hit guys; they just drag them down. And I don't know if Randall;s injury is still affecting him, but they need a stud cover corner, but he was awful. In addition, he gave lots of ammo to those who call him an ankle-biting tackler.

They just don't have the defense. Kudos to McCarthy for transforming this offense on the fly - first time he's done that in a couple of years - but the defense is just not championship caliber.

I don't disagree with this at all. In fact, I agree that MM has done a great job transforming this offense on the fly and the defense does not appear to be championship caliber. I would just say that every team in the NFC this year has flaws. I watched Dallas and Tampa Bay last night and Prescott only had 6 incompletions the whole game. Both teams moved up and down the field at will, and only their own mistakes (penalties, drops) kept them out of the end zone on most drives.

IF, and that's a big word, we get back Perry and/or CMIII, our pass rush will make the pass defense better than atrocious. We could definitely be competitive in the playoffs.

The third quarter of the Sunday night game reminded me of our 4th quarter. Tampa Bay scored 2 quick touchdowns and took the lead after a first half dominated by Dallas. Just as quickly, Dallas took over the 4th quarter and won the game.

Momentum is a fickle friend and sometimes it's the biggest difference between winning and losing the game. As far as talent goes, I just don't see that much difference in talent between the possible playoff teams in the NFC, meaning that, if we get there, we could make it to the dance.

Fritz
12-19-2016, 07:59 AM
Maybe. It's possible. Yet it's also possible the Packers lose the next two and are home twiddling their thumbs when the playoffs start.

I just wish Matthews was healthy and playing like a beast. The defense just does not have that dominant guy. To me, you need one beast who must always be double-teamed and still can't be contained, plus a shut-down corner, plus some solid starters and the usual marginal guys. The Packers have marginal guys and solid starters, but no beast (I don't think Daniels is at that level right now) and no shut down corner.

beveaux1
12-19-2016, 08:06 AM
Our 2010 Super Bowl team had many flaws. It was a 10-6 team that struggled through the season and caught the NFC on a down year. I'm not giving back that championship because we were not dominant throughout the season and caught the league in a down year. The Giants won a couple of championships beating teams that played better during the regular season, but had flaws.

If we take a 6 game winning streak into the playoffs, we could do a lot of damage. If I were the rest of the NFC, I wouldn't want to play us.

beveaux1
12-19-2016, 08:13 AM
I'll add one other thing. I don't think we'll make the playoffs if we don't win 6 in a row. We've got 2 more. Then, hopefully, a playoff game at Lambeau. Or, we'll talk about the defense that kept us out of the playoffs and what we need to do to get that pass rusher or shut down corner.

mission
12-19-2016, 08:16 AM
I thought Monty was indecisive on too many runs.

Not sure if just trolling. I kept watching him and thinking "wow, he has that Le'veon Bell style patience, waiting for the hole"
It opened up a lot of big runs for him. Dude was amazing yesterday.

Not sure how much you watch Bell run it, but it never looks like he's going full speed. Very patient runner, waits for his blocks to setup.

EDIT -- Also why Michael is definitely a step below him. He only has one speed--> full bore. Misses some holes and cutbacks because of it.

King Friday
12-19-2016, 08:18 AM
Cobb was a dud...he was invisible, and he normally has big games against the Bears.

Pugger
12-19-2016, 08:22 AM
Cobb was a dud...he was invisible, and he normally has big games against the Bears.

Is he playing on a bad wheel right now?

texaspackerbacker
12-19-2016, 08:27 AM
I just wish Matthews was healthy and playing like a beast. The defense just does not have that dominant guy. To me, you need one beast who must always be double-teamed and still can't be contained, plus a shut-down corner, plus some solid starters and the usual marginal guys. The Packers have marginal guys and solid starters, but no beast (I don't think Daniels is at that level right now) and no shut down corner.

I agree with this completely, but Aaron Rodgers - injury and all - is gonna take the Packers to the playoffs, through the playoffs to the Super Bowl, and WIN the Super Bowl - call that a PREDICTION! Why? Mostly because he's just so damn good that he makes up for a multitude of mediocrity, and partly because the whole league is a little bit down right now - call it parity or whatever, but the super teams of recent years aren't that super this season, and the up and comers aren't that far up yet.

King Friday
12-19-2016, 08:33 AM
Is he playing on a bad wheel right now?

Isn't Rodgers playing on two bad wheels?

texaspackerbacker
12-19-2016, 08:42 AM
Studs this game: Montgomery, Rodgers, Clinton-Dix, Cook, most of the O Line (which I have criticized in the past), Gunter and Rollins - when you don't see much of Corners, it usually means they are doing a good job.

Duds this game: the whole front 7 of the defense at times, even though for much of the game, they played like studs. Similarly, Capers - whose schemes make it all possible on D with limited talent, but who must get some blame for the large part of the game where the D fell apart. Also, Randall - he's pretty consistently a day late and a dollar short. Adams - I've gotten to like him after really being down on him before, and he did a great job of getting open even in this game, but the drops were horrible. I'm still gonna call McCarthy mostly a dud. His play calling was still shoddy at times (like 3rd and 1 and 4th and 2 of the second series). I'd say the Packers won in spite of him, not because of him - and you can pretty much say that all the time.

One more on the Stud side: the Bears - give 'em some credit, they played damn good in a lot of ways. Just not having Cutler is pretty damn studly hahahahaha.

pbmax
12-19-2016, 08:45 AM
The front sever misplayed several key runs and had no pressure. They weren't studs.

denverYooper
12-19-2016, 08:56 AM
Peppers gets a "stud" for his strip sack. That seemed to have gotten into Barkley's head for a few series. After that, it looked like he drew a lot of doubles.

For all of the hoopla about whether he is worth his contract, he seems to come up with big plays when they need them.

King Friday
12-19-2016, 09:29 AM
The front sever misplayed several key runs and had no pressure. They weren't studs.

Yeah, I was very disappointed that they could not get any pressure on the QB against a mediocre Bears OL.

King Friday
12-19-2016, 09:32 AM
Adams plays well on turf and indoors. Soft!

Yeah, he looked cold yesterday...even with a huge jacket on standing next to a heater. I don't think we are going to be able to count on him much outdoors in December/January.

texaspackerbacker
12-19-2016, 09:35 AM
Yeah, I was very disappointed that they could not get any pressure on the QB against a mediocre Bears OL.

In their defense, Barkley was getting rid of the ball damn quick, and his receivers were getting open to make that possible. As I said earlier, our front seven was hot and cold - studs at times, duds at times.

I fully expect Adams to bounce back. He did get open - even in the cold, and I think the drops were an aberration.

denverYooper
12-19-2016, 09:50 AM

They do seem to play reverse-complimentary football at times when they have a substantial lead. The offensive stalls did not help to stem the Bears comeback.

But this seems to be a year of "just enough" defense around the league and it is set up well for Green Bay to make a run if they can win out.

Tony Oday
12-19-2016, 11:01 AM
I really liked the play of the front 7 yesterday. Forced Barkley to throw early and high, strip sack and bottled up the run game for most of the game. MM as usual got a small lead and thought that he could coast to a win, no killer instinct. Davante should easily have iced the game with the two TDs and Jordy had a bad game even with the 60 yard bomb on 3rd and 11, that should have been a TD. Cook had a decent game and Cobb was no even on the field or was he?

Patler
12-19-2016, 01:17 PM
It is difficult to find studs on offense or defense for me, just because of the way they closed out the game in the 4th quarter. Until the Bears final possession, the defense couldn't even slow them down, let alone stop them. Two drives of 70+ yards for TDs. each requiring less than 4 minutes, as I recall. With a three score lead, all they needed was to make them work and expend significant time to get the first and second scores, and the game should have been about done. Just the flip for the offense. Scoring again didn't seem critical, but getting 1st downs and using up the clock was. Neither did their jobs in the 4th quarter.

At the end, it came down to 3 players making two big plays. Micah Hyde to keep the Bears out of the endzone, and Rodgers and Nelson converting a single play to put Crosby in position to win it. Big plays at crucial times. Does that make them studs? or clutch?

Patler
12-19-2016, 02:13 PM
For as many times as we have criticized Guion for "dumb" plays, we need to point out the smart play he made on the Bears final play before the FG.

Due to a miscommunication, GB had only 10 on the filed, (OK, maybe Guion started out "dumb" on the play), but instead of running directly on the field, he ran down the sideline out of bounds to avoid a possible off side, then ran onto the filed onside as the ball was snapped, so sort of ran into a pass coverage area to try an have some impact on the play. At least he ended up being heads up, even if late.

Fritz
12-19-2016, 02:36 PM
I agree - I thought about his not running onto the field until he was onsides as I was recalling an article about him in which it was said he's one of the less football-intelligent guys on the field.

Weird that it sounds like he was almost in position to make a play on the ball. I didn't even see him on the TV screen until the replay, and then I thought, "Oh, it's that new give-the-DL-a-running-start" play that Capers just put in!

Joemailman
12-19-2016, 05:47 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Mike McCarthy on Damarious Randall's fourth-quarter benching: "There are things that he'll learn from. There's a reason why you have alignments and assignments – offense, defense, special teams – and we need to be more detailed," McCarthy said.

Did Randall go all Terrell Buckley yesterday?

King Friday
12-19-2016, 05:49 PM
Did Randall go all Terrell Buckley yesterday?

Actually, Buckley probably would've outplayed Randall yesterday.

The Shadow
12-19-2016, 05:53 PM
I have wondered a lot lately why the Packers secondary coaches never seem to take any heat.

Fritz
12-19-2016, 06:29 PM
We've got to parse out the blame incrementally, Shadow. It's not their turn right now. We're after Capers and McCarthy and maybe Zook.

Next year it'll be their turn. And the weight room guy, too. His turn's coming up.

pbmax
12-19-2016, 06:45 PM
I didn't even notice him out, who replaced him? Rollins was in the slot, did they move him outside and put Brice out there to let Hyde play slot?

I did seen Brice out there for a couple snaps late.

Harlan Huckleby
12-19-2016, 07:10 PM
Not sure if just trolling. I kept watching him and thinking "wow, he has that Le'veon Bell style patience, waiting for the hole"
It opened up a lot of big runs for him. Dude was amazing yesterday.

Not sure how much you watch Bell run it, but it never looks like he's going full speed. Very patient runner, waits for his blocks to setup.

EDIT -- Also why Michael is definitely a step below him. He only has one speed--> full bore. Misses some holes and cutbacks because of it.

No, I wasn't being sarcastic. My keen scout's eye saw Monty miss many cut back lanes. And he also hesitates - then tries to outrun the tacklers wide when the opportunity has been lost by his indecision.

What you see as patience, I see a punt returner running upright, looking for an opening. But I can't argue that it is working pretty well for him.

I know Monty had good stats and some excellent runs. But you'll just have to accept the fact that you are a chump fan, and I am a seasoned observer of the game.

I saw nothing from Michael's few runs but good decisions and awesome burst.

Look, there's a happy way to spin this: Monty is getting good results, and he still has much upside as he gets experience at the position. If only I could work with him....

hoosier
12-19-2016, 07:28 PM
Monty can break tackles, so the debate about whether he is hesitant or just patient is moot.

ThunderDan
12-19-2016, 08:34 PM
It is difficult to find studs on offense or defense for me, just because of the way they closed out the game in the 4th quarter. Until the Bears final possession, the defense couldn't even slow them down, let alone stop them. Two drives of 70+ yards for TDs. each requiring less than 4 minutes, as I recall. With a three score lead, all they needed was to make them work and expend significant time to get the first and second scores, and the game should have been about done. Just the flip for the offense. Scoring again didn't seem critical, but getting 1st downs and using up the clock was. Neither did their jobs in the 4th quarter.

At the end, it came down to 3 players making two big plays. Micah Hyde to keep the Bears out of the endzone, and Rodgers and Nelson converting a single play to put Crosby in position to win it. Big plays at crucial times. Does that make them studs? or clutch?

Can't be clutch. Not another come from behind victory for ARod.

Zool
12-19-2016, 10:00 PM
Can't be clutch. Not another come from behind victory for ARod.

Game was tied. He still can't come back from behind in the 4th.

pbmax
12-20-2016, 07:17 AM
Game was tied. He still can't come back from behind in the 4th.

It was a close game too!

But it was the most Packers comeback ever. First down nothing. Second down nothing. Third down bomb. Kick FG.

texaspackerbacker
12-20-2016, 07:26 AM
Actually, Buckley probably would've outplayed Randall yesterday.

Not all small players have been crap; Darrell Green comes to mind, and I'm sure there are other good ones. Just the same, I would think the Packers are starting to regret drafting an undersized guy like Randall. I know I'm regretting it. For sure, there are duds that are ideal size too, but percentage-wise, probably the undersized are more likely to fail.

Fritz
12-20-2016, 08:36 AM
"... the undersized are more likely to fail."

That's what your mom said!

mission
01-02-2017, 09:36 AM
No, I wasn't being sarcastic. My keen scout's eye saw Monty miss many cut back lanes. And he also hesitates - then tries to outrun the tacklers wide when the opportunity has been lost by his indecision.

What you see as patience, I see a punt returner running upright, looking for an opening. But I can't argue that it is working pretty well for him.

I know Monty had good stats and some excellent runs. But you'll just have to accept the fact that you are a chump fan, and I am a seasoned observer of the game.

I saw nothing from Michael's few runs but good decisions and awesome burst.

Look, there's a happy way to spin this: Monty is getting good results, and he still has much upside as he gets experience at the position. If only I could work with him....

Did you hear how many times Collinsworth talked about Monty reminding him of Le'Veon Bell last night? The word 'patient' was used many times. Funny, not sure where I've heard that before. Of course, you're a seasoned observer and he's a former professional and me... well, I'm not sure how much all-conference QB (for the most storied HS program in WI) counts for; probably not a whole lot really, but I'm not just some fat couch slob.

Every time Michael runs the ball he looks like it's the last carry he's over going to get and runs with a "I'll show you what I can do coach!" type of style. You love the effort, but understand it's important to have a little dynamic range in your speed. Can't just go smashing into everything at full bore. It works when no one is in the way of his predetermined path as we saw in Chicago.

Harlan Huckleby
01-02-2017, 09:41 AM
but I'm not just some fat couch slob

I don't really think you are a couch slob, and I don't really think I am a "keen scout." It was a joke. You waited a whole week to avenge this indignity, but probably it is all the sweeter for having waited, just like your wedding night.

mission
01-02-2017, 10:12 AM
I don't really think you are a couch slob, and I don't really think I am a "keen scout." It was a joke. You waited a whole week to avenge this indignity, but probably it is all the sweeter for having waited, just like your wedding night.

My wife was 7 months pregnant when we got married. The Packers won the SB the following day so we (ok, 'I') still joke that our marriage was the second best thing to happen that weekend. Also ensures I never forget our anniversary.

And yeah, I had to wait. What would I reply with? "No, I'm right, you're wrong". You better believe when I heard him talking Le'Veon Bell last night that I was already formulating my stupid response because, you know, Collinsworth is the authority on all things football.

gbgary
01-02-2017, 10:45 AM
My wife was 7 months pregnant when we got married. The Packers won the SB the following day so we (ok, 'I') still joke that our marriage was the second best thing to happen that weekend. Also ensures I never forget our anniversary.

And yeah, I had to wait. What would I reply with? "No, I'm right, you're wrong". You better believe when I heard him talking Le'Veon Bell last night that I was already formulating my stupid response because, you know, Collinsworth is the authority on all things football.

great banter you two.

for what it's worth, coming from a recliner potato, i agree with tony that michael would be better if he were less prone to changing his mind/trajectory after one or two steps. his first instinct seems good then he's off in another direction for no reason. love his speed though. monty is patient and seems to make the right read that starks seems to miss. this opinion after yesterday's det game.

Pugger
01-02-2017, 10:49 AM
At least Michael doesn't run into the backs of his linemen...

Harlan Huckleby
01-02-2017, 10:59 AM
At least Michael doesn't run into the backs of his linemen...
agreed, he speeds right past them.

(that was a joke, all you retards)

I think Chrissie had an excellent game against the Bears. And I saw Monty miss some reads. Your honor, I seen what I seen.

pbmax
01-02-2017, 11:11 AM
Did you hear how many times Collinsworth talked about Monty reminding him of Le'Veon Bell last night? The word 'patient' was used many times. Funny, not sure where I've heard that before. Of course, you're a seasoned observer and he's a former professional and me... well, I'm not sure how much all-conference QB (for the most storied HS program in WI) counts for; probably not a whole lot really, but I'm not just some fat couch slob.

Every time Michael runs the ball he looks like it's the last carry he's over going to get and runs with a "I'll show you what I can do coach!" type of style. You love the effort, but understand it's important to have a little dynamic range in your speed. Can't just go smashing into everything at full bore. It works when no one is in the way of his predetermined path as we saw in Chicago.

Wait a minute, did you face off against a shut down corner from Appleton during Darrin Charles heyday?

mission
01-02-2017, 01:00 PM
Wait a minute, did you face off against a shut down corner from Appleton during Darrin Charles heyday?

LOL, no, we were D2 (but I've been here long enough to know that story!)...
John Navarre will always be my Al Bundy-story as I outplayed him head-to-head, at UW-Lacrosse football camps and at Jeff Tricky QB camps. He was 6'6" and I was/am 6'. He got the Michigan full ride and I got "invites" to Platteville and Lacrosse with no assurances of anything. I moved to California and "played" baseball before partying my next 8 years away! I tell everyone who wants to listen (you guys want to listen, right??!) that I could have been a third string QB for the Cardinals if I would have been 6'6".

I'm now all-time QB when my 6 year old has some of his baseball buddies over so I guess it's safe to say I haven't really fallen off too much.

gbgary
01-02-2017, 02:11 PM
LOL, no, we were D2 (but I've been here long enough to know that story!)...
John Navarre will always be my Al Bundy-story as I outplayed him head-to-head, at UW-Lacrosse football camps and at Jeff Tricky QB camps. He was 6'6" and I was/am 6'. He got the Michigan full ride and I got "invites" to Platteville and Lacrosse with no assurances of anything. I moved to California and "played" baseball before partying my next 8 years away! I tell everyone who wants to listen (you guys want to listen, right??!) that I could have been a third string QB for the Cardinals if I would have been 6'6".

I'm now all-time QB when my 6 year old has some of his baseball buddies over so I guess it's safe to say I haven't really fallen off too much.

funny stuff!