PDA

View Full Version : Best players you've ever seen?

RashanGary
12-19-2016, 01:58 AM
I'm gonna start with the best two players I've ever watched play several full games of football. Both of these guys were highly productive, but I'm going with awe factor and amazing plays above all else. I left Barry Sanders off because he was so inconsistent. It's great how amazing the good ones were but he danced too much and caused too many 3 and outs in my opinion. I'd rather have a Peterson or Emmit who get yards
Almost every time to set up favorable down and distance to pass from.

Reggie White - Had the brute strength to walk a 310lb OT straight back into the QBs lap and the speed to round the corner like guys 50 pounds lighter than him. He's the only guy I remember throwing offensive lineman around like they were kids two or three grades smaller than him. Absolute dominance

Randy Moss - His combination of speed and football intelligence was off the charts. I've never seen a WR so dominant as a deep threat as long as I've watched football. Culpepper would just throw it up and time after time after time he came down with it.

Best old timer that i never got to watch, but have seen enough film to be absolutely amazed is Don Hutson. He just ran past the rest of the league like he was in high school and everyone else was a 6th grader. Unbelievable. I mostly look at Packer history. I'm sure there were other guys.

A list of favorite Packers who aren't quite as amazing as Reggie but still note worthy.
Majik
Sharpe
Tim Harris
Favre
Rodgers
Woodson
Collins
Javon Walker
Jordy
Jennings
Ahman Green
Desmond Howard
Chad Clifton
Clay Matthews
Brooks
Freeman
Sitton
Peppers

List of other teams guys I've loved watching
John Randall
Jared Allen
Herman Moore
Chris carter
Warren Sapp
Barry Sanders
Dione Sanders
Jerry Rice
TO
Kevin Greene
Tom Brady
Joe Montana
D McNabb
Devin Hester
Jason Taylor
Tony Gonzolez
Gronk
Ronnie Lott
Strahan

Favorite coach
McCarthy

Favorite GM
Thompson

Favorite historical coach
Lombardi

So yeah, that's a bunch of stuff. Just wanting to talk some football history and remember the awesomeness of football.

Patler
12-19-2016, 05:42 AM
Jim Brown

Fritz
12-19-2016, 06:13 AM
Jim Brown

Lawrence Taylor. I watched him throughout the 80's. I think other players - including some of his own teammates - were afraid of him.

Ted "the Mad Stork" Hendricks was a freak of nature. What he did in a single season in Green Bay may never have been matched.

And for me, Ahman Green was the best running back I've ever seen in a Packer uniform. I don't know why he isn't spoken of more often. He ran like a bull yet he had incredible speed. He could catch the ball and blocked pretty well. Early in each season he'd have fumbling issues, but he ended up wearing rubber sleeves and this solved the problem. In his prime, I'd take him over Emmitt Smith or Marcus Allen, hands down.

Maxie the Taxi
12-19-2016, 07:40 AM
Gale Sayers

King Friday
12-19-2016, 07:48 AM
Barry Sanders is the greatest RB I've ever seen by far. I'm not sure how you can leave him off the list. Emmitt Smith always got positive yardage because of his OL...If Barry Sanders were in Dallas instead of Emmitt, Barry would have 24,000 career yards.

Fritz
12-19-2016, 07:55 AM
Barry Sanders is the greatest RB I've ever seen by far. I'm not sure how you can leave him off the list. Emmitt Smith always got positive yardage because of his OL...If Barry Sanders were in Dallas instead of Emmitt, Barry would have 24,000 career yards.

I think for many people it's because Sanders had a lot of touches for no gain, or only a couple yards, because he was always trying to hit big. On top of that, the guy did not have breakaway speed. He'd get out into the open, but he couldn't take it home. Still, he was phenomenal, and I'd take Sanders over Smith any day.

I'm not an Emmitt Smith fan, not at all. I think that dude is way overrated, and I'd take Sanders in a minute. To me, Emmitt Smith was three yards and a cloud of dust, and that was with one of the best offensive lines in football.

I saw Sanders live a couple times, and it was an incredible experience. Once, he was surrounded five yards behind the line of scrimmage by four Packer defenders. Four. A juke, a quick twitch of the hips, and next thing you know, Barry's twenty-five yards downfield.

Zool
12-19-2016, 08:05 AM
Very few players have taken more plays off in their career than Randy Moss. If he would have played every down like Jerry Rice did, he would have 24,000 yards.

texaspackerbacker
12-19-2016, 08:17 AM
You about gotta do this by position.

Running Back: 1 Jim Brown 2 O.J. Simpson 3 Gayle Sayers

Quarterback: 1 Aaron Rodgers 2 Brett Favre 3 Peyton Manning

It's gonna take more thought than I want to expend right now for the other positions. I base these picks on pure ability and performance. Nobody tops Jim Brown. However, if he was the Wilt Chamberlain of the NFL, our own Jim Taylor was the Bill Russell of the NFL. You could make the same comparison of Barry Sanders - Wilt and Emmitt Smith - Russell a generation later, but neither of them had the pure ability of Brown and Simpson. O.J., of course, gets ignored because of all the shit later in life, but nobody but nobody was a threat to take it to the house every time he touched the ball like he was.

Suffice it to say, I'm pretty sure it's more than homerism to put Rodgers and Favre at the top of QBs.

Probably due to the nature of the game, current or recent QBs seem most outstanding, and old time RBs seem to top everybody more recent.

King Friday
12-19-2016, 08:29 AM
I saw Sanders live a couple times, and it was an incredible experience. Once, he was surrounded five yards behind the line of scrimmage by four Packer defenders. Four. A juke, a quick twitch of the hips, and next thing you know, Barry's twenty-five yards downfield.

Barry Sanders played behind a pathetic OL...and still managed to put up the numbers he did. OF COURSE he was going to get tackled for loss more than most RBs...he was often battling defenders as soon as he took the handoff. He was a one man show. All 11 guys on the defense were keying on him almost exclusively for his entire career.

And I don't get the comment on his breakaway speed. That is one of the most ignorant comments I've ever seen on this board. Barry Sanders had 15 career TDs of over 50 yards...which is most in NFL history. The next closest I believe is Jim Brown...with 12.

Rutnstrut
12-19-2016, 09:04 AM
There are MANY. But I will name one of my all time favorite Packers that I haven't seen listed, James Lofton.

hoosier
12-19-2016, 10:07 AM
Billy Sims, before he got hurt.

Patler
12-19-2016, 11:17 AM
Barry Sanders played behind a pathetic OL...and still managed to put up the numbers he did. OF COURSE he was going to get tackled for loss more than most RBs...he was often battling defenders as soon as he took the handoff. He was a one man show. All 11 guys on the defense were keying on him almost exclusively for his entire career.

I don't agree with that comment. The Lions often had credible run-blocking OL in front of Sanders. For example, Lomas Brown and Kevin Glover were there most of Sanders career (as I recall) and both were not only perennial Pro-Bowl players, but 1st or 2nd team All Pro as well. The Lions also brought in a lot of excellent OL at the ends of their careers. Guys like Bubba Paris, Bill Fralic and Dave Lutz. Their best years were before they got to Detroit, but they were wise, skilled OL who could still run-block some. For their time, the Lions OL always seemed big, run-blocking types.

That said, I agree that defenses keyed on Sanders, making it very difficult for him, mostly because the Lions had little stability at QB. Sanders was clearly their best weapon, and if you could stop him, you stopped the Lions.

RashanGary
12-19-2016, 11:35 AM
Jim Brown

I'm gonna go watch me some Jim brown.

denverYooper
12-19-2016, 12:20 PM
Von Miller

MadScientist
12-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Seriously, nobody's mentioned Walter Payton? I can't say I enjoyed watching him since he was running over the Packers so much, but he was consistently great. Not just long runs, but even things where there was nothing, he gained 5 yards.

If you are only talking about players seen in person, then sadly the best I've ever seen, at least more than once, is Jeff George.

Patler
12-19-2016, 12:44 PM
Seriously, nobody's mentioned Walter Payton? I can't say I enjoyed watching him since he was running over the Packers so much, but he was consistently great. Not just long runs, but even things where there was nothing, he gained 5 yards.

If you are only talking about players seen in person, then sadly the best I've ever seen, at least more than once, is Jeff George.

I have had an ongoing debate with myself for years, Sayers vs. Payton. Sayers was a marvelous player to watch, but his career was so short.
To me, Sayers was to RBs, what Lofton was to WRs. Smooth, graceful athletes who made playing their positions look almost effortless at times. They didn't even look like they were working hard when others couldn't keep up.

pbmax
12-19-2016, 12:45 PM
With my own eyeballs, its been:

1. Sanders
2. Lawrence Taylor
3. Dan Marino
4. Deion Sanders
5. Should have been Bo Jackson

Cheesehead Craig
12-19-2016, 12:54 PM
Not in my top 5 but guys I've always loved to watch:

Earl Campbell
Steve Atwater

Fritz
12-19-2016, 02:54 PM

And I don't get the comment on his breakaway speed. That is one of the most ignorant comments I've ever seen on this board. Barry Sanders had 15 career TDs of over 50 yards...which is most in NFL history. The next closest I believe is Jim Brown...with 12.

Okay, as soon as I read this I did a search to prove my point, remembering that that was one criticism of Sanders back in the day.

But I was wrong. Dude ran a 4.37 40 at his Pro Day.

So yes, that was one of the most ignorant comments ever seen on this board.

Who the hell posted that crap?

Oh, wait. Never mind.

pbmax
12-19-2016, 03:58 PM
snip ...

Okay, as soon as I read this I did a search to prove my point, remembering that that was one criticism of Sanders back in the day.

But I was wrong. Dude ran a 4.37 40 at his Pro Day.

So yes, that was one of the most ignorant comments ever seen on this board.

Who the hell posted that crap?

Oh, wait. Never mind.

Going to defend Fritz here. There was a point, and it happened frequently, that Sanders would get caught before scoring even after breaking into the clear. Whether his combine time is bogus or he lost speed or others got faster, Sanders got caught in the open field a lot.

Some of that could be that he was IN the open field a lot.

red
12-19-2016, 04:18 PM
i held my breath every single time barry got the ball against green bay

is the question, the best player you've seen in person, or just overall?

its still barry for me, but the only game i saw him in person for was the -1 yard playoff game

and i do agree that with the dallas o-line the emmit had, he would have set the all time rushing record so high that no one would ever come close to it

red
12-19-2016, 04:21 PM
Going to defend Fritz here. There was a point, and it happened frequently, that Sanders would get caught before scoring even after breaking into the clear. Whether his combine time is bogus or he lost speed or others got faster, Sanders got caught in the open field a lot.

i think barry's short burst speed was probably off the charts. meaning he was faster then anyone else going 10, 20 or 30 yards. but at just 5'8, his top speed might not have been anywhere near what longer stride guys had. hence getting caught from behind after 50-60 yards

sanders was at top speed within a matter of steps

40 yard dash time is more for acceleration, not top speed imo

clearly the guy could accelerate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKjfoQVssBo

Freak Out
12-19-2016, 04:58 PM
Tony Mandarich of course.

Bretsky
12-19-2016, 05:36 PM
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Odell Thurman yet ! haha

The Shadow
12-19-2016, 05:46 PM
I've followed the game since 1961. Yes, I am old. Sigh.
Two players were head over shoulders over any I've watched :
Jim Brown
Dick Butkus

After them, Gayle Sayers.

Harlan Huckleby
12-19-2016, 05:48 PM
I'm gonna say Walter Payton because he carried the team more than any other player. Maybe I'd go with Sanders if he played longer. I didn't really see the 60s legends play, I was too busy making history in backyard games.

King Friday
12-19-2016, 05:48 PM
Tony Mandarich of course.

And T-Buck...he'd at least be the number one all-time talent on his own list.

RashanGary
12-19-2016, 07:09 PM
I always saw Barry as a 3 and out machine. Too many bad drives because of that dance around style. But I respect the Barry love. I know people think he's the greatest. I've heard that a lot but just don't think it translated to winning.

Asa little kid, everyone copied those juke moves!

Zool
12-19-2016, 07:52 PM
Name the starting QBs during Barry's career and you get the reason it didn't translate to winning.

Fritz
12-20-2016, 08:42 AM
I don't know that the guy was an all-time greatest, but I remember watching Earl Campbell in his heyday. He was Marshawn Lynch before there was a Marshawn Lynch.

smuggler
12-20-2016, 12:26 PM
Sanders got caught from behind because he could and would stop on a dime and start back up. People were chasing him at full speed.

Clayish
12-20-2016, 12:34 PM
Y'all are old hahah

gbgary
12-20-2016, 02:51 PM
Y'all are experienced, smart, and not gullible.

thank you!

gbgary
12-20-2016, 02:56 PM
sterling would have been an all-timer had he not gotten hurt. he was a record setter from the get-go.

Freak Out
12-20-2016, 05:50 PM
And T-Buck...he'd at least be the number one all-time talent on his own list.

I wanted Sanders in that draft so bad.

mission
12-20-2016, 07:10 PM
First thought: Barry Sanders
I don't think his running style had any negative impact on the Lions success. As others have mentioned, he pretty much never had any help... I think this is a unanimous decision if Sanders played in Dallas with that line. Would have stuck around at least a couple more seasons too.

I was born in January 81 so didn't really get to appreciate Sweetness as much as my Bears fan uncles did...

Next up: Reggie White, Deion Sanders

RashanGary
12-20-2016, 07:12 PM
Just went and watched Jim brown. Reminds me of Adrian petersons style. Big strong fast

Joemailman
12-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Reggie White The Eagle was the best defensive lineman I ever saw.

Art Shell the best offensive lineman.

Walter Payton the best running back. I was 10 when Jim Brown retired. Can't rate him.

Lawrence Taylor the best OLB.

Butkus the best ILB.

Deion the best CB.

Polamalu the best safety

Quarterback is just impossible. Probably Marino.

Kellen Winslow the best TE.

Morten Andersen the best kicker

Lombardi coaching 'em up.

HarveyWallbangers
12-21-2016, 12:33 AM
Players that I have watched. I like to rate them more based on when they were at their best.

53 Man Roster

QB Joe Montana, John Elway, Aaron Rodgers/Brett Favre (don't want to start an argument, I lean Rodgers at his best)
RB Walter Payton, Marshall Faulk, LaDainian Tomlinson
WR Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Sterling Sharpe, Marvin Harrison, James Lofton
TE Rob Gronkowski, Tony Gonzalez, Kellen Winslow
OT Anthony Munoz, Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, Jonathan Ogden
OG Randall McDaniel, Bruce Matthews, John Hannah, Mike Munchak
OC Mike Webster

DE Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Michael Strahan, Julius Peppers
DT Randy White, John Randle, Cortez Kennedy, Howie Long
OLB Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Brooks, Derrick Thomas, Kevin Greene
ILB Mike Singletary, Junior Seau, Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher
CB Rod Woodson, Deion Sanders, Charles Woodson, Darrell Green, Champ Bailey
S Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu, Kenny Easley, LeRoy Butler

K Justin Tucker
P Shane Lechler
RET Devin Hester

Cheesehead Craig
12-21-2016, 07:59 AM
Only 1 C and no FB? 3 TEs? No long snapper?

Harv, you don't know how to build a team.

Maxie the Taxi
12-21-2016, 08:40 AM
We're nominating entire teams? Make it easy. Just pencil in Lombardi's '62 Packers.

RashanGary
12-21-2016, 04:19 PM
We're nominating entire teams? Make it easy. Just pencil in Lombardi's '62 Packers.

If we're going treams, I'm going to go with my 1996 Packers. I was 15 years old. I wrote a little program using my qbasic programming class in high school to calculate qb rating. I didn't even know the exact equation, I played around until I got close. It was like a game within the game tracking favre as stats.

I believe we had the #1 offense, defense and STs. Lost a couple regular season games. We did have a young up and down qb, but we were unstoppable by the end of the year.

But I respect your 62 Packers. Never got to watch.

pbmax
12-21-2016, 07:52 PM
If we're going treams, I'm going to go with my 1996 Packers. I was 15 years old. I wrote a little program using my qbasic programming class in high school to calculate qb rating. I didn't even know the exact equation, I played around until I got close. It was like a game within the game tracking favre as stats.

I believe we had the #1 offense, defense and STs. Lost a couple regular season games. We did have a young up and down qb, but we were unstoppable by the end of the year.

But I respect your 62 Packers. Never got to watch.

Defense was #1 in yards and points. Offense was #1 in points and 5th in yards.

cornbread
12-21-2016, 09:10 PM
For me, born in 84.
#1 is Peterson. I've never seen any other player capable of more. Best athlete in the NFL I've ever seen for sure.

Next best is Rodgers. Simply for his well rounded ability. No true weakness, playing the hardest position in sports history; IMO.

bobblehead
12-23-2016, 10:46 AM
I skipped most of the thread and will go back and read it, but I will likely take a guy no one will ever think of.

1) Reggie White. Unstoppable. Have never seen a force like him. Because he was so dominant against the run and pass Lawrence Taylor can't make my list of 2.

2) Tony Boselli. What might have been. The only guy I have ever seen handle Reggie White consistently. Injuries ruined his career. Best foot work I have ever seen. Dominant Punch. Size, Speed, Athleticism. Anthony Munoz is probably the best OT to ever lace them up, but if Boselli could have been healthy he would be remembered as such. Scariest part of all is that when I was able to watch him he was still learning. By the time he had it down he was banged up and couldn't stay on the field.

bobblehead
12-23-2016, 10:52 AM
With my own eyeballs, its been:

1. Sanders
2. Lawrence Taylor
3. Dan Marino
4. Deion Sanders
5. Should have been Bo Jackson

Forgot Bo. Man what a tough list. What might have been....

bobblehead
12-23-2016, 10:54 AM

Sanders likely ran the fastest 20 in history. That translated to a solid 40. A very average 60, and a below average 80. Yea, he could be run down, but you always had to run him down.

pbmax
12-23-2016, 10:55 AM
I skipped most of the thread and will go back and read it, but I will likely take a guy no one will ever think of.

1) Reggie White. Unstoppable. Have never seen a force like him. Because he was so dominant against the run and pass Lawrence Taylor can't make my list of 2.

2) Tony Boselli. What might have been. The only guy I have ever seen handle Reggie White consistently. Injuries ruined his career. Best foot work I have ever seen. Dominant Punch. Size, Speed, Athleticism. Anthony Munoz is probably the best OT to ever lace them up, but if Boselli could have been healthy he would be remembered as such. Scariest part of all is that when I was able to watch him he was still learning. By the time he had it down he was banged up and couldn't stay on the field.

Erik Williams eventually figured Reggie out. Williams was a beast.

bobblehead
12-23-2016, 11:01 AM
Erik Williams eventually figured Reggie out. Williams was a beast.

Yea. Grab the facemask and pay the refs. Cheater. I refuse to recognize him as any good at all.