NFC North Playoff Simulator
Team W-L wDVOA #1seed #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 Div Bye WC Tot Chng

DET 9-5 -10.5% 0.0% 6.7% 17.1% 22.5% 0.0% 14.2% 46.3% 6.7% 14.2% 60.4% -14.7%

GB 8-6 11.7% 0.0% 1.6% 14.6% 37.5% 0.0% 5.9% 53.7% 1.6% 5.9% 59.6% 19.7%

MIN 7-7 -9.9% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.9% 0.0% 0.0% 0.9% 0.9% -13.2%

CHI 3-11 -3.9% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0% 0.0%

Fritz
12-19-2016, 02:58 PM
I still can't believe Minnesota's injury list. Is Harrison Smith playing this week?

Cheesehead Craig
12-19-2016, 03:03 PM
I still can't believe Minnesota's injury list. Is Harrison Smith playing this week?

I doubt it. The Vikes were hoping that he could come back for the playoffs if they made it, at the earliest.

gbgary
12-19-2016, 03:13 PM
the most important game of the season so far. as of now the weather forecast calls for mostly cloudy and low 30s. they're trending down, we're trending up...therefor i predict another divisional nail biter. bradford has the highest completion percentage i believe. can't play soft like we did yesterday. i don't want us to blitz much. i don't want us to play much zone either. blitzing leaves us shorthanded in the back and zone allows bradford to get the passes off quickly to open guys. play tight man and make him hold the ball a tick or two longer. maybe the rush can get to him.

Fritz
12-19-2016, 03:17 PM
I like blitzing . . . when it works. Several times yesterday, I heard the announcer say "Packers come on a blitz....the Bears pick it up....Barkley has time..."

My least favorite defense is the three-man rush, however. I hate that shit.

Cheesehead Craig
12-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Vikes OL is bad, hopefully we won't have to blitz as much to get pressure.

Fritz
12-19-2016, 03:28 PM
I hope Nick Perry plays, and that Matthews doesn't play unless he's really healing.

And give ol' Dean Lowry a few more snaps. That dude seems to be able to pressure the QB. Just don't let Adrian Peterson go scooting by you on your way to Bradford...

denverYooper
12-19-2016, 03:31 PM
We hit Bradford a lot in Minnesota. He just kept hitting passes. I don't think that happens at home and outdoors.

pbmax
12-19-2016, 03:48 PM
I would blitz the bejesus out of the Vikes injury plagued O line.

Teamcheez1
12-19-2016, 03:54 PM
You guys all hit the nail on the head. If we can pressure and get to Bradford, we will win this game.

Pugger
12-19-2016, 03:57 PM
I hope Nick Perry plays, and that Matthews doesn't play unless he's really healing.

And give ol' Dean Lowry a few more snaps. That dude seems to be able to pressure the QB. Just don't let Adrian Peterson go scooting by you on your way to Bradford...

Unfortunately if Perry plays he'll prob have to wear a club on that hand so he'll be about as effective as Clay has been.

gbgary
12-19-2016, 07:12 PM
I like blitzing . . . when it works. Several times yesterday, I heard the announcer say "Packers come on a blitz....the Bears pick it up....Barkley has time..."

and he looked like Rodgers back there. so why do it? keep them in coverage.

I would blitz the bejesus out of the Vikes injury plagued O line.

didn't watch the min nyg game. did they blitz? bet they didn't have to because the giants secondary plays man and are very good.

Unfortunately if Perry plays he'll prob have to wear a club on that hand so he'll be about as effective as Clay has been.

i say save him for later if possible.

Harlan Huckleby
12-19-2016, 07:18 PM

A separated shoulder is more debilitating than a clubbed-up hand.

hoosier
12-19-2016, 07:26 PM

A month after the separation happens and with professional rehab, CMIII might be closer to being able to play with two hands than Perry. Depends on how bad the separation was.

Fritz
12-20-2016, 08:44 AM

Spoken like an old man who would know such things.

The only problem with all that blitzing is that you leave yourself open to Adrian Peterson. And some screens and such to Stefon Diggs, who make Damarious Randall look silly last time anyway.

hoosier
12-20-2016, 09:02 AM
The good news is that the Packer defense appears to have reacquired its old penchant for creating turnovers: 10 in the last two games leading to 41 points. They're now fourth in net turnover point differential at +37.

The bad news is that Schottenheimeritis seems to be contagious, and the defense is now perfecting its own way of taking its foot off the opponent's throat and generously letting them make a game of it.

Fritz
12-20-2016, 11:22 AM
How true that is.

gbgary
12-20-2016, 02:46 PM
The good news is that the Packer defense appears to have reacquired its old penchant for creating turnovers: 10 in the last two games leading to 41 points. They're now fourth in net turnover point differential at +37.

The bad news is that Schottenheimeritis seems to be contagious, and the defense is now perfecting its own way of taking its foot off the opponent's throat and generously letting them make a game of it.

that's on capers.

hoosier
12-20-2016, 03:04 PM
that's on capers.

Is it? What did he do differently in the Seattle game that would account for the vast disparity between defensive performances? I think one can make a strong case that the secondary is inconsistent and that Randall in particular has regressed this year, and maybe ultimately that reflects badly on the position coaches (more so than Capers, I think). But the tangible difference between the two games is that the pass rush got home against the Chickenhawks but not so against the Bears, and thus an inconsistent, assignment-unsure secondary either was or was not exposed.

gbgary
12-20-2016, 05:39 PM
so here's the official word on clinching a playoff spot THIS weekend:

GB win + WAS loss or tie + TB loss + ATL win + SOS clinch over TB

gbgary
12-20-2016, 05:42 PM
Is it? What did he do differently in the Seattle game...

we didn't play a lot of soft zone.

Fritz
12-21-2016, 07:27 AM
After reading Zimmer's comments about his team not fighting last week, I am sure they're going to come out frothing at the mouth, ready to hit anything in Green and Gold.

Mikey better have his guys ready to be more physical defensively than they were in Chicago.

Pugger
12-21-2016, 09:59 AM
Is it? What did he do differently in the Seattle game that would account for the vast disparity between defensive performances? I think one can make a strong case that the secondary is inconsistent and that Randall in particular has regressed this year, and maybe ultimately that reflects badly on the position coaches (more so than Capers, I think). But the tangible difference between the two games is that the pass rush got home against the Chickenhawks but not so against the Bears, and thus an inconsistent, assignment-unsure secondary either was or was not exposed.

I thought I heard/read that Mac lets Capers run his defense as he sees fit.

pbmax
12-21-2016, 02:23 PM
Adrian is officially soft according to Packerrat posters.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 29m29 minutes ago
There is a new groin injury for Adrian Peterson. Makes sense after missing a few months.

He did not practice today and would not commit to playing this week versus the walking wounded on the Packers D.

Matthews, Ryan, Martinez, Rollins and Ankle Biter all tougher than Purple Jesus.

pbmax
12-21-2016, 02:24 PM
I thought I heard/read that Mac lets Capers run his defense as he sees fit.

He does seem to have influence over focus of D in specific situations: when to play the clock, how much to favor the pass in game planning, etc.

Joemailman
12-21-2016, 07:20 PM
http://d2s3dt9f4iyeup.cloudfront.net/images/resized_v1/401da426-d871-4b86-b70e-05768095c136.jpg

pbmax
12-21-2016, 07:54 PM
Rodgers and Matthews both to full participation.

Fritz
12-22-2016, 06:23 AM
I can't remember which JSO writer it was - maybe Dougherty or Silverstein - who wrote that it might have been better not to play Clay Matthews at all so he'd be healthier "for the stretch run."

I wanted to ask him when he thinks that stretch run starts. Haven't the Packers been in a stretch run since they dropped to 4-6 and were nearly doomed with one more loss?

Joemailman
12-22-2016, 06:53 AM
I can't remember which JSO writer it was - maybe Dougherty or Silverstein - who wrote that it might have been better not to play Clay Matthews at all so he'd be healthier "for the stretch run."

I wanted to ask him when he thinks that stretch run starts. Haven't the Packers been in a stretch run since they dropped to 4-6 and were nearly doomed with one more loss?

Dougherty

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/12/21/packers-olbs-hurting/95705072/

It’s debatable whether the Packers have gotten enough out of Matthews to warrant exposing him to weekly physical contact when they could have been keeping him inactive so his shoulder would be stronger for the stretch run.

It might well be that Matthews' injury would require more time to heal than what they have. Plus, he's not the only Packers OLB hurting. Perry and Elliott both have hand injuries. And Fackrell just got back from an injury. So they probably need Clay to continue taking what snaps he can even if he isn't very effective.

Zool
12-22-2016, 08:15 AM
Vikes coach called out a couple players on the radio this week. Called out Barr specifically saying that he's coasting. I wonder how the team will respond?

mission
12-22-2016, 08:17 AM
Vikes coach called out a couple players on the radio this week. Called out Barr specifically saying that he's coasting. I wonder how the team will respond?

They'll come out aggressively in the first quarter, make it seem like we have a game and then get punched in the mouth, realize they have no chance at the playoffs and then go back into their zip-up warm jackets standing by the heaters. I don't expect much of a game when it's all said and done unless MM goes into turtle mode.

Fritz
12-22-2016, 08:33 AM
I disagree with Mission. I think the Vikes will come out aggressively early and get a lead - then get confidence from that, while the Packers come out like they did against Tennessee. Paraphrasing what Scrooge said to the third ghost, I fear this game more than all the others.

Rutnstrut
12-22-2016, 11:16 AM
The thing I fear is GB getting a small to medium lead early and Stubby and company taking their foot off the gas. Actually that's what I fear in every Packer game.

Tony Oday
12-22-2016, 12:06 PM
AR throws for 5 TDs and crushes the spirit of a whole state.

call_me_ishmael
12-22-2016, 12:30 PM
16-13 Green Bay. This is a tight game that Mason Crosby wins w/ 3 field goals.

Cheesehead Craig
12-22-2016, 01:10 PM
AR throws for 5 TDs and crushes the spirit of a whole state.

I like the cut of your jib

pbmax
12-22-2016, 01:22 PM
RapSheet

#Packers RB James Starks was struck by an 18-wheeler at 4:32 am. Other driver was cited for inattentive driving. Starks’ car was towed

Per WI Dept. of Transportation, #Packers RB James Starks’ car accident did not include drugs or alcohol for either party. Airbag did deploy.

Fritz
12-22-2016, 02:15 PM
You know, I feel for ol' James. Perhaps one reason we get hooked into the NFL is that a players career is like a microcosm of our working lives. We read articles about all these "oldsters" like Julius Peppers, a veritable greybeard of wisdom and experience, almost to the end of a storied career. Yet the guy isn't even frickin' 37 years old yet! I'd give my left nut to be 37 again. Well, maybe not my left nut. Maybe my brother's left nut.

You can watch the span of an entire player's career in the time you've worked less than a third of your own. They age, in terms of work life, so quickly.

Patler
12-22-2016, 02:48 PM
RapSheet

#Packers RB James Starks was struck by an 18-wheeler at 4:32 am. Other driver was cited for inattentive driving. Starks’ car was towed

Per WI Dept. of Transportation, #Packers RB James Starks’ car accident did not include drugs or alcohol for either party. Airbag did deploy.

4:32 AM?
What the heck is a pro athlete, in season, doing out at that time of the morning?

Zool
12-22-2016, 02:55 PM
4:32 AM?
What the heck is a pro athlete, in season, doing out at that time of the morning?

Hookers?

Patler
12-22-2016, 03:53 PM
Hookers?

Now that would just be poor planning! Aren't they available 24/7?

pbmax
12-22-2016, 05:34 PM
Now that would just be poor planning! Aren't they available 24/7?

Perhaps he was late with his reservation?

Joemailman
12-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Troy and Joe with the call. At least with it being against Minnesota, all of Wisconsin can watch it.

http://506sports.com/2016/16-FOX-E-V2.png

hoosier
12-22-2016, 08:19 PM
RapSheet

Yikes. You think Starks was headed out for his early morning workout? Or headed home after a long night? If the latter, that might explain why he didn't suffer more damage (drunks bounce).

Rutnstrut
12-22-2016, 08:27 PM
Hookers?

Nah, with the money he makes he can afford the ones that deliver. Hell I bet they even have all their teeth.

pbmax
12-22-2016, 11:20 PM
Yikes. You think Starks was headed out for his early morning workout? Or headed home after a long night? If the latter, that might explain why he didn't suffer more damage (drunks bounce).

I am thinking he had a late night of Scattergories with friends and fell asleep on their couch. It wasn't comfortable, so he got up early and was driving home well rested for 4 AM.

Fritz
12-23-2016, 09:31 AM

Well, if it was a long night out then either Starks was the designated driver, or the cops were lying, as the reports said no alcohol or illegal substances was a factor.

hoosier
12-23-2016, 10:14 AM
So much for my theory. Scattergories might explain the late night, but how to explain this?

The crash report states that the semi was stopped for a flashing red light when it crossed Radisson St and hit Starks’ vehicle, which was northbound on N. Webster Ave. The semi hit the driver side of Starks’ vehicle. Starks’ vehicle came to a rest on the grass on the east side of N. Webster Ave. http://wbay.com/2016/12/22/report-james-starks-vehicle-hit-by-18-wheeler-last-week/

The semi could not have been stopped for a red light when it crossed through the intersection, that is simply impossible. I suspect a coverup. Maybe Starks got a glimpse of the semi, thought it was his offensive line and, like a flash, propelled himself right into it.

pbmax
12-23-2016, 10:22 AM
So much for my theory. Scattergories might explain the late night, but how to explain this?

http://wbay.com/2016/12/22/report-james-starks-vehicle-hit-by-18-wheeler-last-week/

The semi could not have been stopped for a red light when it crossed through the intersection, that is simply impossible. I suspect a coverup. Maybe Starks got a glimpse of the semi, thought it was his offensive line and, like a flash, propelled himself right into it.

I knew a guy who was quite a serious racquetball player. He had a friend who was close to top level - no idea if there is a pro circuit or not, but when young he played the best players from across the country.

My friend claimed that his buddy would go into a dream like state when driving, normally scaring the other passengers with his inattentiveness. When my friend asked where his mind went during those moments, the guy claimed to be reliving matches from years ago, shot by shot.

hoosier
12-23-2016, 10:25 AM
I wonder if John McEnroe is scary to ride with.

Cheesehead Craig
12-23-2016, 12:08 PM
AP is out.

pbmax
12-23-2016, 12:56 PM
^ Soft!! Quitter! Doesn't he want to go out with his teammates anymore?

Cheesehead Craig
12-23-2016, 01:03 PM
^ Soft!! Quitter! Doesn't he want to go out with his teammates anymore?

I think he's out due to a pulled groin. I guess he was trying to get another baby mama pregnant.

pbmax
12-23-2016, 02:34 PM
No Matthews or Rodgers status on report, so they are 100% a go. Elliot and Starks are out. Tretter still limited participant. Just guessing but if he needs this much rehab weekly to get ready to play, he might be in line for surgery in the offseason.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0YxoI9XgAAC2Ug.jpg:large

Joemailman
12-23-2016, 02:45 PM
Jayrone Elliott out. Damn. I think the OLB position is the biggest issue right now. With an inconsistent secondary, the Packers need the OLB's to be healthy enough to provide a good pass rush if they're going to be a threat in January.

Fritz
12-23-2016, 03:57 PM
Jayrone Elliott out. Damn. I think the OLB position is the biggest issue right now. With an inconsistent secondary, the Packers need the OLB's to be healthy enough to provide a good pass rush if they're going to be a threat in January.

Time for the Fracker to step up.

Joemailman
12-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Time for the Fracker to step up.

Yes. he's probably not stout enough at this point (6-5, 245) to hold up against the run, but they need him to provide some pass rush. He had only 4 defensive snaps last week in his 1st game back from an injury. Hope to see him more this week.

gbgary
12-23-2016, 07:16 PM
AP is out.

turf monster again?

Harlan Huckleby
12-23-2016, 07:20 PM
7:18 PM. I just discovered game is tomorrow, not xmas day.

Tragedy narrowly averted.

Patler
12-23-2016, 08:49 PM
I saw Elliot on McCarren's TV program. He had two fingers splinted together. He showed it and talked about it. He played the second half last weekend with the hand "clubbed". Kind of hard to believe this keeps him out this week.

Pugger
12-24-2016, 07:31 AM
Troy and Joe with the call. At least with it being against Minnesota, all of Wisconsin can watch it.

http://506sports.com/2016/16-FOX-E-V2.png

Its on down here too!! :cow:

pbmax
12-24-2016, 08:25 AM
I saw Elliot on McCarren's TV program. He had two fingers splinted together. He showed it and talked about it. He played the second half last weekend with the hand "clubbed". Kind of hard to believe this keeps him out this week.

Either he re-injured it or they needed a healthy body for ST.

Fritz
12-24-2016, 10:41 AM
Larry McCarren played for years with a completely deformed finger.

Get out there, Jayrone!