PDA

View Full Version : Jared Cook

RashanGary
12-21-2016, 10:17 PM
This guy is coming on. He's been nicked up for most of the year, but is just getting healthy. This offense usually takes rookies 3 or 4 years to really get on the same page with Rodgers. But Cook is a veteran and has had to find chemistry with several players. One season isn't out of the question.

If the Packers do make a serious run, I picture Cook being a part of it. He's big and very fast still. I can see his speed when I watch. AR is starting to throw him the ball.

I'd like to see him get a three year contract too. Physically, he's still a beast. He should have 3 more good years at TE in him. And of course, next year he'll start out better integrated into the offense so i expect him to outperform whatever we give him.

Tony Oday
12-21-2016, 11:33 PM
If he stays healthy he is a great addition.

Fritz
12-22-2016, 06:05 AM
A three year contract for a guy who's been mostly unavailable this year? Why would you do that?

It's not like Thompson had to outbid several teams for his services last year - and Cook has followed that up with an injury-plagued season. I would imagine you could get him for a two year deal, maybe even a one year deal. Then draft a fast rookie to learn behind him, and keep your fingers crossed that Cook doesn't get hurt - again.

King Friday
12-22-2016, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I'm guessing Cook will have a strong inclination to stay in Green Bay...a 2 year deal seems reasonable, unless the kid wants to bet on himself and go for the 1 year deal. I don't see either side wanting to do anything past 2 years...Cook hasn't put up the numbers to earn a sizable deal, and the Packers haven't seen enough to want to lock in long term.

Rutnstrut
12-22-2016, 11:01 AM
A three year contract for a guy who's been mostly unavailable this year? Why would you do that?

It's not like Thompson had to outbid several teams for his services last year - and Cook has followed that up with an injury-plagued season. I would imagine you could get him for a two year deal, maybe even a one year deal. Then draft a fast rookie to learn behind him, and keep your fingers crossed that Cook doesn't get hurt - again.

Well they kept the Fresno fraud when all he did was drop passes and get hurt. No reason not to give Cook more of a chance.

call_me_ishmael
12-22-2016, 12:31 PM
An injured second year player who had a solid first year is quite a bit different then an 8th year player who has a history of not doing too much.

Pugger
12-22-2016, 01:00 PM
I don't think it is a coincidence our offense began to be more productive once Cook came back from his sprained ankle injury.

Patler
12-22-2016, 01:48 PM
Cook has no injury history of significance. He has shown that he still has speed for a guy his size. He doesn't turn 30 until next April. I don't think the Packers will shy away from a 3 year deal, especially if he shows his value for however long they play this year. They have done a lot of 3 year deals structured so that they can release the guy before the second year without significant cap implications.

Fritz
12-22-2016, 02:16 PM
You're starting to sound like Dan Snyder, Patler! Gettin' all crazy with this free agent signing thing!

Harlan Huckleby
12-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Cook certainly adds some sauce to the Packer offense, no doubt about it.

Patler
12-22-2016, 02:38 PM
You're starting to sound like Dan Snyder, Patler! Gettin' all crazy with this free agent signing thing!

Ya, but Cook is now a Packer, so signing him isn't really a free agent signing (even though he will be a free agent). Heck, signing him last year didn't even count, because he had been released, and we all know those are not REAL free agents.

denverYooper
12-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Rodgers was calling him "Cookie" in one postgame interview and throws him the ball, both good signals that he's fitting in with the McCarthy/Rodgers offense.

Unless he wants a stupid deal, I think they'll get something done.

beveaux1
12-22-2016, 06:44 PM
I'd love to see him next year in green and gold. He's the best option we've had at TE since Finley. This year's TE draft class isn't real promising.

hoosier
12-22-2016, 08:16 PM
Cook certainly adds some sauce to the Packer offense, no doubt about it.

Get back in the kitchen where you belong.

Fritz
12-23-2016, 09:42 AM
Rodgers was calling him "Cookie" in one postgame interview and throws him the ball, both good signals that he's fitting in with the McCarthy/Rodgers offense.

In the same press conference, you could also see the faraway look of longing as Rodgers spoke of "Cookie." To me, this means Olivia will put her foot down and there will be no "Cookie" in Green Bay next year.

Pugger
12-24-2016, 07:28 AM

If you listen to the ESPN Radion podcasts on the ESPN Packers site Wilde and Tauch call him Cookie all the time. :lol: There are a couple podcasts there now.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/gb/green-bay-packers

RashanGary
01-03-2017, 07:48 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/01/03/cook-without-doubt-wants-stay-packers/96104536/

Bretsky
01-03-2017, 09:39 PM
The Packer are devoid of talent at TE without Cook
They would be idiots not to re sign him
Lock him up for 3 years

mission
01-04-2017, 08:06 AM
Agreed... 2-3 year deal. His stats might not be off the charts, but he definitely adds a dimension we haven't had in awhile.
Seems more willing to block than Finley was too.

Upnorth
01-04-2017, 08:53 AM
Remember when we had 5 te on the roster for a season? Weren't we down to two active for a couple games this year?
Give him a 2 year deal, or easy out 3 year and draft some one rough around the edges to develop.

Freak Out
01-04-2017, 12:03 PM
Cook has the look of a beast about him now. After the catch he has the chance to really abuse the DBs trying to bring him down.

call_me_ishmael
01-04-2017, 01:09 PM
^ Yet he doesn't really seem to. Man he and Rich Rodgers are terrible after the catch and go down so easily for being two giants.

pbmax
01-04-2017, 01:49 PM
^ Yet he doesn't really seem to. Man he and Rich Rodgers are terrible after the catch and go down so easily for being two giants.

DickRod is heavy but not notably so anymore. He is down to 260 theoretically and I think he is 6' 4", pretty ordinary TE size. Cook ran over a few people in the last two weeks.

Freak Out
01-04-2017, 02:25 PM
Not sure who you are watching Dan...the Cook I saw was dragging people down the field. Maybe I missed a few plays though.

call_me_ishmael
01-04-2017, 02:46 PM
It's very possible I did as well, I can't remember the last time I watched a Packer game uninterrupted

Cheesehead Craig
01-04-2017, 03:00 PM
Cook gets open, that alone warrants him a contract. He's pretty good after the catch and shown he can run over people.

Fritz
01-04-2017, 03:31 PM
Is it just me, or has he not been getting the ball in the seam much?

Seems like a lot of his catches come as he's running a pattern toward the sideline, not going vertical up the seam.

Or am I not watching closely enough?

pbmax
01-04-2017, 04:09 PM

Seems like a lot of his catches come as he's running a pattern toward the sideline, not going vertical up the seam.

Its crossers and especially out routes or fades for him.

Rodgers has never thrown a ton of seam routes.

Bretsky
01-04-2017, 08:33 PM
DickRod is heavy but not notably so anymore. He is down to 260 theoretically and I think he is 6' 4", pretty ordinary TE size. Cook ran over a few people in the last two weeks.
Plodders only problem is he sucks; he's 7th round talent that can be displaced any year.

Cook has real talent and if I'm Cook I sure as hell want to stay in GB with AROD tossing him the rock.

Lock his ass up. 3 Years 15 MIL ish

Fritz
01-05-2017, 05:53 AM
You guys sure are generous. Or desperate.

vince
01-05-2017, 07:01 AM

Rodgers overthrew Cook down the seam early in the Detroit game, but I'd say it's not just you. That's the only one I recall seeing since he's returned.

vince
01-05-2017, 07:05 AM
Plodders only problem is he sucks; he's 7th round talent that can be displaced any year.

Cook has real talent and if I'm Cook I sure as hell want to stay in GB with AROD tossing him the rock.

Lock his ass up. 3 Years 15 MIL ish
I agree about Cook. He's been a big part of the offensive resurgence and it's not just his production. Everyone's better when he's attracting attention - even DickRod.

call_me_ishmael
01-05-2017, 12:06 PM
3 years 15 mil is steep for a 30 year old journeyman who hasn't stayed healthy this year. They'll get him a lot cheaper than that and for two years.

vince
01-05-2017, 12:21 PM
Patler I think documented his pretty strong health history. $5 mil/yr would rank him as the 19th highest paid TE. You make a good point about his age though Ish. I think he's worth it but he is at risk of hitting the downside. His age does diminish his value. They may also get a hometown discount with him as well.

Had he played 16 games he projects to 50 catches for 600+ yds. and I'd project higher production next year for him.

Martellus Bennett signed for $5.1 mil with the Pats, who's also 29. (55 for 701)
Jordan Cameron (28) is making $6 mil. and will be a free agent this year. (35 for 386 last year)
Delanie Walker (32) - $6.8/yr. signed through 2018 (55 for 800)
Coby Fleener (28) - $7.2/yr. signed through 2021 (50 for 631)
Jimmy Graham (30) - $10 mil/yr. through 2018 (65 for 923)

MadScientist
01-05-2017, 05:13 PM
3 years 15 mil is steep for a 30 year old journeyman who hasn't stayed healthy this year. They'll get him a lot cheaper than that and for two years.

You could easily structure a 3/$15 as a 2/$8 with 3rd year at $7, that the team will not pay unless he's been really good. A three year contract doesn't hurt the Packers.

woodbuck27
01-07-2017, 09:49 AM
Is anybody surprised that Cook is catching so many pass's outside left (it seems to me more than right) and not more over the top?

KYPack
01-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Is anybody surprised that Cook is catching so many pass's outside left (it seems to me more than right) and not more over the top?

The toughest pass for a right handed QB to throw. That's the toss that separates the good from the great.

I've been watching Cook for years. He can go off and dominate games, then disappear for a week.

Last year for St Louie (remember them?) he ran a brilliant route vs Dallas and caught the game winning pass in the end zone to break up the ball game. Except he dropped the pass. Last year he had zero TD's. When he flashes, he's great. I've seen him have games that are equal to Gronk, Jimmy Graham, Gates, etc. Then, he goes somewhere for awhile.

I just want him to pop for the next four games. He can be a difference maker when on his game.

Agree with Fritz. Run him up the seam. He can terrorize safeties with that shit. They see him on film running all these slants, run a sluggo seam route, it'll be wide open.

RashanGary
01-07-2017, 10:25 AM

AR seems to like him most when he's isolated one on one. That happens more on the outside. AR also seems to like him against much smaller defenders. AR seems willing the throw him contested balls against those small players. It's a mismatch.

Freak Out
01-07-2017, 11:30 AM
Run him up the seam. He can terrorize safeties with that shit. They see him on film running all these slants, run a sluggo seam route, it'll be wide open. Love this stuff...surprise the Giants with this stuff and move on!

gbgary
01-07-2017, 12:33 PM
i like him but he should be our #2. draft a #1 in the first round if we can. if we can't he'll have to do.

Pugger
01-07-2017, 01:30 PM
Cook gets open, that alone warrants him a contract. He's pretty good after the catch and shown he can run over people.

And defenses have to account for him and that should help open things up for Jordy, Cobb, Adams and Geronimo.

RashanGary
01-13-2017, 01:43 AM
This is interesting

http://m.packers.com/news/video/the-rock-report-center-of-attention-e5beea3b-1c7d-47ef-86e5-2e3e8590179a

smuggler
01-13-2017, 08:00 AM
He's been the biggest change in the offense from last season.

pbmax
01-13-2017, 08:28 AM
This is interesting

http://m.packers.com/news/video/the-rock-report-center-of-attention-e5beea3b-1c7d-47ef-86e5-2e3e8590179a

Endorse. Best read/video of the week. Thanks Justin. Larry does a nice job here. Spofford's stuff is often a good view too.

woodbuck27
01-13-2017, 08:30 AM
This is interesting

Lock him up !

call_me_ishmael
01-13-2017, 08:33 AM
He did seem to bowl people over on at least one occasion last week.

gbgary
01-13-2017, 10:39 AM
He's been the biggest change in the offense from last season.

id say it was Jordy. http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/wink5.gif

as for Cook...i think he's been underutilized for his skill set. thus his impact has been pretty meh. the go-deep-or-bust offense takes him out of the picture. if we ran more of a conventional west coast offense he'd be a featured player. oh-well.

red
01-13-2017, 04:52 PM
cook has missed a lot of time, but he's made a massive difference when on the field this year

lock that guy up for a few more years

texaspackerbacker
01-13-2017, 07:26 PM
The biggest difference is McCarthy FINALLY abandoning or at least decreasing his effort to have a run-first offense, and subsequently, putting more trust in his all world QB. Doing so has actually made the running game better as Rodgers has passed first at least most of the time.

Secondarily, the O Line has gotten significantly better both in pass protection and run blocking. I used to be their biggest critic, and they still don't exactly stand firm or road grade opponents. They have, however, gotten extremely good at enabling what Aaron Rodgers does so well - scrambling until somebody comes open. And they also have enabled the cut backs, etc. that Montgomery does so well.

gbgary
01-13-2017, 07:47 PM
The biggest difference is McCarthy FINALLY abandoning or at least decreasing his effort to have a run-first offense, and subsequently, putting more trust in his all world QB. Doing so has actually made the running game better as Rodgers has passed first at least most of the time.

Secondarily, the O Line has gotten significantly better both in pass protection and run blocking. I used to be their biggest critic, and they still don't exactly stand firm or road grade opponents. They have, however, gotten extremely good at enabling what Aaron Rodgers does so well - scrambling until somebody comes open. And they also have enabled the cut backs, etc. that Montgomery does so well.

rated #5 by PFF...ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-this-season/ (https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-this-season/)

King Friday
01-14-2017, 10:34 AM
i like him but he should be our #2. draft a #1 in the first round if we can. if we can't he'll have to do.

I agree about drafting a very good TE prospect in the draft. There is a reason why Tom Brady looks so dominant with Gronk to throw to. Those kind of players absolutely tilt the balance in favor of the offense because of the matchup problems they cause.

Finley was never a stat monster in Green Bay, but his presence is why the offense was such a juggernaut. Brett Favre became absolutely unstoppable when he had Chmura and Jackson to throw to. Having an athletic big receiver that can attack the middle of the field is perhaps the most important aspect of a passing offense being able to establish what they want to do on the field. Cook is a nice player, but he's not young anymore. We can't rely on him to be our future at the position, and we have nothing whatsoever behind him.

texaspackerbacker
01-14-2017, 11:21 AM
There are a lot of better choices in the draft than TE. Besides, I have always liked Richard Rodgers - more so now that he is the #2. I see Cook as better right now than Finley ever was, and if he stays with the Packers and gets even more in sync, he will only get better - if he stays healthy. What is Cook now? 29 or 30? That's not old in TE years - look at Jason Witten. TE is one of those positions where college success doesn't often correlate with success in the NFL so I'd choose something else in the early rounds of the draft.

gbgary
01-15-2017, 07:10 PM
id say it was Jordy. http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/wink5.gif

as for Cook...i think he's been underutilized for his skill set. thus his impact has been pretty meh. the go-deep-or-bust offense takes him out of the picture. if we ran more of a conventional west coast offense he'd be a featured player. oh-well.

not today!

George Cumby
01-15-2017, 07:17 PM
Now, does he, or does he not count as an FA signing?

I'm still a little fuzzy on that........

pbmax
01-15-2017, 07:18 PM
Depends on your source.

His price has gone up a bit. Kid is even blocking. I would be willing to give him some dumb money to stay. He clearly loves playing for them.

George Cumby
01-15-2017, 07:22 PM
Depends on your source.

His price has gone up a bit. Kid is even blocking. I would be willing to give him some dumb money to stay. He clearly loves playing for them.

Fuckin' A.

Iron Mike
01-15-2017, 07:51 PM
I can't see Finley making that sideline play that Cookie did. He's one of the reasons we won today. Sign him for three more years. :)

Freak Out
01-15-2017, 07:57 PM
Hell of a game for Cook. Guy is nails.

ThunderDan
01-15-2017, 08:07 PM
He has been great when healthy. Knock on him was injuries and drops if I remember correctly. He hasn't had problems holding on to the ball.

Bretsky
01-15-2017, 08:17 PM
Depends on your source.

His price has gone up a bit. Kid is even blocking. I would be willing to give him some dumb money to sta3y. He clearly loves playing for them.

TIME FOR PB TO GET ABOARD THE THREE YEAR FIFTEEN MILLION DOLLAR TRAIN I INVENTED ABOUT 3 WEEKS AGO ???????????

denverYooper
01-15-2017, 08:18 PM
Depends on your source.

No kidding. You see that smile after the GW catch? A million Watts.

RashanGary
01-15-2017, 08:50 PM
Really good player and person for us. He's worth 3 years 15 easy.

RashanGary
01-15-2017, 08:51 PM
He's worth more to us than other teams. Knows the offense. Has chemistry. Will take him a year to get plugged in to an new system. Getting older. He should be a packer.

King Friday
01-15-2017, 09:03 PM
I don't think Cook is going to leave Green Bay. He already has spent way too much time with a team that was a laughingstock. After this playoff run, Cook ain't going to want to go anywhere else. He'll probably give a slight hometown discount to keep catching passes from Rodgers.

gbgary
01-15-2017, 09:10 PM
they just need to use him more...especially now with Jordy out. tonight really showed what he can do. two or three catches doesn't cut it.

Bretsky
01-15-2017, 09:10 PM
I don't think Cook is going to leave Green Bay. He already has spent way too much time with a team that was a laughingstock. After this playoff run, Cook ain't going to want to go anywhere else. He'll probably give a slight hometown discount to keep catching passes from Rodgers.

Just pay him fairly; I"m suggesting 3Yr at 15MIL should be fair and make both sides happy

Assuming he'll take a hometown discount risks losing him

We are a completely different offense with him. Dear Ted.....jut get this done

SMBASS
01-15-2017, 09:11 PM
Agree with everything posted above. Cook really likes playing with AR in Green Bay and he was really jacked up about being in the playoffs for the first time in his career. Last week I saw a picture where he was super excited after Cobb's 3rd TD catch. I'll bet he's so geeked up after having a huge/clutch game today his feet probably won't touch the ground for several hours after he walks out of the locker room.

gbgary
01-15-2017, 09:12 PM

he and montgomery combined for 12 catches. that's old school west coast offense.

Joemailman
01-15-2017, 10:29 PM
Jared Cook postgame interview.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Cook-Words-cant-describe-this/76d41c7f-7bdc-462a-a1c0-715f7cba315a

denverYooper
01-15-2017, 11:13 PM
Jared Cook postgame interview.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Cook-Words-cant-describe-this/76d41c7f-7bdc-462a-a1c0-715f7cba315a

On further review, Cook had an incredible game.

wootah
01-16-2017, 06:55 AM
At the moment of the catch you see Rodgers mimicking Cook's toe dragging :-)

http://static6.uk.businessinsider.com/image/587c1e0bdd089540158b4c1d-1920/snapshot20170115190637.jpg

pbmax
01-16-2017, 09:06 AM
That's a beautiful shot. You can see both refs, the guy who missed it (background) and the guy who got it , foreground.

I am guessing the guy in the background did not see Cook's right foot on the ground?

mmmdk
01-16-2017, 09:33 AM
Well Cook me dinner and buy me flowers, TT made one good free agent pickup this season. Secondary anyone? :lol: