PDA

View Full Version : More Banjo: Week 16 vs Vikings

pbmax
12-24-2016, 03:22 PM
Middle of game was sweet. Defense was shaky early and late. Packers always have trouble with Vikes blitz package. Taylor was very unsure of assignment but I would not rule out RB confusion about protection calls.

Glad to see Martinez back. Glad Hyde was able to return. Gunter was out early on and did not return.

Teams really focused on Adams, which makes Nelson very dangerous.

Hope Cobb is getting healthy.

pbmax
12-24-2016, 03:24 PM
Forgot about Bulaga leaving.

Tom Oates ‏@TomOatesWSJ 41m41 minutes ago
#Packers say OT Bryan Bulaga has shoulder injury and return is questionable.

pbmax
12-24-2016, 03:25 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0eIfaUVQAACYsK.jpg:large

pbmax
12-24-2016, 03:30 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0eKTyDXAAA-SZ1.jpg:large

Harlan Huckleby
12-24-2016, 03:33 PM
Theilen might be the player of the game. But you really have to look at the stat line before game was out of hand.

CaptainKickass
12-24-2016, 04:25 PM
MORE BANJO (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ2ucr74YNk)

red
12-24-2016, 05:25 PM
Hope Cobb is getting healthy.

eh, he really hasn't added much this year, and we clearly didn't miss him today

run pMc
12-26-2016, 02:04 PM
Ty Montgomery will be spending extra time studying pass protection this week. To be fair, it's likely a bit new to him and Zimmer is a crafty defensive guy.

Good to see Adams not disappear, and Allison made some good catches. I find it interesting that he's passed up Janis and Davis on the WR depth chart, and 6'3"WR's are nice to have.
Offense looks better with Cook vs. R.Rodgers out there.

Didn't miss Starks or Cobb this week. Damarious played better, and Clay showed up.

Joemailman
12-26-2016, 05:56 PM
I didn't see the game. Were Monty's problems blocking technique or blitz recognition?

Pugger
12-26-2016, 06:03 PM
I didn't see the game. Were Monty's problems blocking technique or blitz recognition?

He really didn't have any room to run.

pbmax
12-26-2016, 06:35 PM

Recognition and alignment. Vikes were showing pressure right, Packers were sliding right. Lane Taylor had to choose either D lineman or blitzing LB if they overloaded the left.

Either it was the wrong protection call or Monty did not recognize the threat from the left. The Lions got about 2 or 3 clean hits on Rodgers from that look.

Monty did get run over once, but he did get in the way.

red
12-26-2016, 07:55 PM
Recognition and alignment. Vikes were showing pressure right, Packers were sliding right. Lane Taylor had to choose either D lineman or blitzing LB if they overloaded the left.

Either it was the wrong protection call or Monty did not recognize the threat from the left. The Lions got about 2 or 3 clean hits on Rodgers from that look.

Monty did get run over once, but he did get in the way.

was that the play where taylor ended up blocking neither?

maybe lane also needs more work at play recognition before he starts anymore?

pbmax
12-26-2016, 08:01 PM
was that the play where taylor ended up blocking neither?

maybe lane also needs more work at play recognition before he starts anymore?

That was one of them. He waited for LB, the ILB delayed, he hit the DT, LB went through gap. Monty was on other side but was also helping out with no one on one.

I think Taylor has to play that better, but on other occasions he was choosing between 2 guys. Might have been a twisting stunt, with DT crossing Taylor's face to hit center and then delayed LB blitz behind him if no back shows.

pbmax
12-26-2016, 08:09 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 8h8 hours ago
McCarthy on experience: Gives you something to draw on. More for players, sharing it with young players.

McCarthy on week: Try to give players as much time as possible to get their bodies back. We’ll go on the field Wednesday, late afternoon.

McCarthy on Allison: He’s done a really good job. When he gets an opportunity he makes plays. It’s what your young players need to do.

McCarthy on week: We’ve done a lot self-scouting. We’re going to make sure we’re doing the things right, the discipline of it.

SELF SCOUT USUALLY MEANS ARE YOU GIVING AWAY YOUR PLANS. HOPE IT HASN'T CHANGED TO: ARE WE BLOCKING CORRECTLY?

McCarthy on Cobb: Just had to tell him no. Had medical info and when see he’s not quite right. We took a leap there in Chicago.Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 8h8 hours ago
"We took a leap" by playing Cobb vs. Chi. "You'd have to chain him down" to get him off the field.

NOT ENCOURAGING

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 8h8 hours ago
McCarthy on @NickTheGreat8: Says a lot about Nick. Spent a lot of time in the training room trying to get the cast comfortable. Played well.

McCarthy on secondary: We gave up big plays, but that 3rd Q defense put us in a position to break the game open but we didn’t respond.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 8h8 hours ago
Like he did after the game, MM credits Damarious Randall for even playing. Made some "difference-making" plays, MM says.

RANDALL APPARENTLY DOES NOT HAVE A HEALTHY LEG

McCarthy on secondary: Oce again we sustained an injury. Randall was on the bubble, he wanted to play. Guys are scrapping away.

McCarthy on Matthews: He’s getting stronger each week based on the setback he has each game. Obviously, felt a lot better in Vikings game.

McCarthy on Nelson: He plays ever position. He’s a tremendous player. It’s always little things with Jordy. We need to move him around.

McCarthy on turnovers: I thought our opportunities were there, but it’s the execution of those opportunities. Have to be in position.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 8h8 hours ago
"They don't really blink," McCarthy says about his players and adversity.

™ BARRY ALVAREZ

McCarthy on team since 4-6: The team never changed. Saw progress, sometimes you don’t see progress in wins and losses. But you saw progress.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 8h8 hours ago
McCarthy on #Packers players: They don't swing too high or low emotionally. They don't really blink. Always stayed committed to one another.

hoosier
12-27-2016, 08:46 AM
McCarthy on Matthews: He’s getting stronger each week based on the setback he has each game. Obviously, felt a lot better in Vikings game.

Sissy or Sisyphus?

pbmax
12-27-2016, 09:31 AM
Sisyphus : Rock :: Matthews : Compressed AC Joint

Guiness
12-27-2016, 09:58 AM
That was one of them. He waited for LB, the ILB delayed, he hit the DT, LB went through gap. Monty was on other side but was also helping out with no one on one.

I think Taylor has to play that better, but on other occasions he was choosing between 2 guys. Might have been a twisting stunt, with DT crossing Taylor's face to hit center and then delayed LB blitz behind him if no back shows.

That delayed blitz was very well done. You could see Taylor standing there watching him, and the ILB waited patiently. You could almost see the wheels turning in Taylor's head that he must look like an idiot standing there blocking no one, so he moved inside to help block the DT. The LB then shot through the gap, pretty sure he was sitting waiting for Taylor to leave his lane.

On another note, with Banjo gone, how long does this thread title persist?

Cheesehead Craig
12-27-2016, 10:25 AM
Love the work day after a Packers win over the Vikes. Seeing the Vikes fans in Packer jerseys at work due to lost bets warms my heart.

hoosier
12-27-2016, 10:30 AM
That delayed blitz was very well done. You could see Taylor standing there watching him, and the ILB waited patiently. You could almost see the wheels turning in Taylor's head that he must look like an idiot standing there blocking no one, so he moved inside to help block the DT. The LB then shot through the gap, pretty sure he was sitting waiting for Taylor to leave his lane.

On another note, with Banjo gone, how long does this thread title persist?

This thread theme is institutional memory at its best. If it goes, Banjo's time with the Packers will quickly recede into oblivion. Can't let that happen.

hoosier
12-27-2016, 10:32 AM
Sisyphus : Rock :: Matthews : Compressed AC Joint

Sisyphus : Rock :: Matthews : Compressed AC Joint :: McCarthy : Syntax

Pugger
12-27-2016, 10:40 AM
Any news about Gunter and/or Bulaga?

pbmax
12-27-2016, 11:09 AM
Nothing.

RashanGary
12-27-2016, 11:30 AM
When are we gonna see JC Tretter? With Bulaga possibly down, Tretter might be our best option.

Fritz
12-27-2016, 01:11 PM
I'm hoping Tretter can come back this week. All hands on deck! All hands on deck!

Harlan Huckleby
12-27-2016, 02:39 PM
When are we gonna see JC Tretter? With Bulaga possibly down, Tretter might be our best option.

Spriggs is probably about the same at tackle. That thought dribbled out of my anus, don't have a lot to back it up. They are both fair complexioned and light in the buttocks. Tretter was never that great at tackle, I really think center is perfect for him. Spriggs seems to be a natural tackle.

Rutnstrut
12-27-2016, 03:56 PM
Spriggs is probably about the same at tackle. That thought dribbled out of my anus, don't have a lot to back it up. They are both fair complexioned and light in the buttocks. Tretter was never that great at tackle, I really think center is perfect for him. Spriggs seems to be a natural tackle.

Tretter actually did pretty good at tackle.

Harlan Huckleby
12-27-2016, 04:16 PM
Tretter actually did pretty good at tackle.

mixed

Fritz
12-27-2016, 04:43 PM
Wasn't he the "savior" in the Washington playoff victory last year, after giving up the early safety? He played pretty well. Personally, I think he's more valuable to the team than Datone Jones, so I'd rather see them go after Tretter as an all-around backup than Jones. But I suppose JC will want to start somewhere (on God's team, at least), so he'll go sign somewhere else. Can't blame the guy for that.

My hope is that they'll re-sign Perry and Lacy, and maybe Cook if he'll come back for a short term and reasonable deal. To me, Datone Jones is turning into Mike Neal - a decent player, tries pretty hard. Well, maybe Neal tried harder.

Datone Jones looks like he's maxed out his potential. That'd make him more-or-less a first round miss for Thompson. He hasn't flashed like Perry did between injuries.

Joemailman
12-27-2016, 06:23 PM
http://graphics.jsonline.com/jsi_news/graphics/2016/GBRATE27G.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
12-27-2016, 11:45 PM
Datone Jones looks like he's maxed out his potential. That'd make him more-or-less a first round miss for Thompson. He hasn't flashed like Perry did between injuries.
Jones looked good at start of this season.

RashanGary
12-28-2016, 12:46 AM
mixed

Tretter really hit is stride as an NFL player this year before the injury. I don't get to watch other teams, so I don't know how well other centers were playing, but he's the best center I've seen in my years watching the Packers so I think probowl level.

He's shown versatility. He's been a bit of a late bloomer so he's always been so/so at a bunch of spots. That is, until this year. Rather than being so/so young JC Tretter, he was lights out in his prime JC Tretter at center. Extrapolating a few dots out and assuming he made strides that would translate to other spots..... I think maybe he could be a good player at another position. LG, RG or RT would be the three he might be able to play at a high level if his great improvement in strength and savvy translates.

I'm open to it being the other way too. Maybe He is what he always was at guard and tackle. I just don't know if he is what he always was at those spots because he proved he's more than what he ever was this year at at least one spot. Like I said, I'd like to see what he can do before we make any decisions. But they know more than we do, just like with lane taylor so we'll see. I'm sure they'll make a smart move.

RashanGary
12-28-2016, 12:53 AM
I like Spriggs. I think he's been a solid rookie OL in the times he's seen the field.

Put me on record though, right now, I think JC Tretter is in his prime, is a very good player and can play any spot better than the rookie version of spriggs.

vince
12-28-2016, 12:18 PM
Spriggs reminds me of Bakh when he was a rook. They battle but can get overpowered.

Give him a couple years to develop and get stronger (like Bakh's done), and I see no reason why he won't become a stalwart bookend for many years. He's gonna push Bulaga inside or out of the lineup eventually.

I'm concerned about Tretter's ability to hold up physically. His injury history might suggest that his body isn't built for 310+ lbs of bulk and getting pounded on. It'll be interesting to see what happens next year and beyond... I like Bulaga or even Lang for a year or two at RG over Tretter, and he's not likely to accept being a back-up going into his prime earning years.

Patler
12-28-2016, 12:39 PM
I'm concerned about Tretter's ability to hold up physically. His injury history might suggest that his body isn't built for 310+ lbs of bulk and getting pounded on.

That's my concern too. He was a tight end until his junior year, when he bulked up to near 300 to play tackle. It might be he just isn't structured to support a lineman's body. It reminds me of Mike Neal, who was always injured until he lost about 30 pounds.

RashanGary
12-28-2016, 01:53 PM
I can't pin the Tretter situation down at all. Love the way he played this year. But all you guys make sense too. That's a tough decision right there.

pbmax
12-28-2016, 01:54 PM
Has Linsley been more available than Tretter?

Harlan Huckleby
12-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Put me on record though, right now, I think JC Tretter is in his prime, is a very good player and can play any spot better than the rookie version of spriggs.

Tretter was a flat-out disaster at LT, Spriggs looks quite good as a rookie there. It's true Tretter is in his prime. I don't think Tretter has the strength to play guard. He's a good backup tackle.

My opinion is based on a few plays where I notice something about a player. It's not like we get a good view on most plays. I think Spriggs could quickly play his way into being a good starting tackle, despite the vulnerability (for now) to a bull rush. Tretter can also be over-powered.

pbmax
12-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Tretter was a flat-out disaster at LT, Spriggs looks quite good as a rookie there. It's true Tretter is in his prime. I don't think Tretter has the strength to play guard. He's a good backup tackle.

My opinion is based on a few plays where I notice something about a player. It's not like we get a good view on most plays. I think Spriggs could quickly play his way into being a good starting tackle, despite the vulnerability (for now) to a bull rush. Tretter can also be over-powered.

Spriggs and Tretter were fine with speed (though Spriggs got burned by someone good twice), fared worse with power. Tretter was the second best LT on the team last year, he outplayed all the other subs and he was better than banged up Bach. Spriggs is a more natural tackle, so I agree he will be better there for longer.

But Tretter showed Mike Flanagan like versatility with that move.

EDIT: On further thought, think Spriggs this year was hurt by speed more than power versus Washington I want to say?

Patler
12-28-2016, 02:53 PM
Has Linsley been more available than Tretter?

Tretter has had injuries that made him unavailable for at least parts of 3 of 4 years, Linsley 2 of 3. As for games available, Tretter has been available for just 31 of 63, Linsley for 37 of 47. So I guess Linsley has been more available, sort of.

Guiness
12-28-2016, 02:59 PM
Tretter has had injuries that made him unavailable for at least parts of 3 of 4 years, Linsley 2 of 3. As for games available, Tretter has been available for just 31 of 63, Linsley for 37 of 47. So I guess Linsley has been more available, sort of.

When you're looking at availability, personally I'd discount major injuries that land a player on IR - would you say Jordy was only availble 50% of time in 14 and 15? Likewise, the two injuries that landed Tretter on IR before the season started concern me less than a player who is often unavailable for 1 or 2 games during the season, indicating he has trouble fully recovering from the weekly beating.

Patler
12-28-2016, 03:00 PM

When was Tretter a disaster at LT? I think the only time he played it was the one game last year, when he was hands down better than Sitton had been the week before, and Barclay the week before that. Story on the game:

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/27101/packers-finally-found-capable-replacement-at-left-tackle-in-jc-tretter

Harlan Huckleby
12-28-2016, 03:57 PM
When was Tretter a disaster at LT?

I can't remember when or where he bombed in stints there, but it wasn't last year.

RashanGary
12-28-2016, 04:04 PM

I'm a crusty old bastard. Don't like rookies :)

Harlan Huckleby
12-28-2016, 04:05 PM
I'm a Trumpian football analyst. Facts are fungible, wisdom comes from the center: think with the gut, shoot from the hip.

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2016, 07:04 PM
I'm a Trumpian football analyst. Facts are fungible, wisdom comes from the center: think with the gut, shoot from the hip.

You wouldn't know a fact if it bit you in the ass hahahahahaha.