PDA

View Full Version : Has Zimmer lost control? DBs ditch his game plan

Patler
12-24-2016, 05:42 PM
This is surprising. From NFL.com:

Minnesota Vikings defensive backs went rogue in Saturday's loss to the Green Bay Packers.

Coach Mike Zimmer planned for corner Xavier Rhodes to shadow Jordy Nelson the entire game. Instead, Vikings corners decided to each play their side of the field.

"To be honest, I really don't want to answer that," Rhodes said, via The Star Tribune, then explained what happened.

"A matter of fact, forget it. We felt as a team, as players, we came together and we felt like we'd never done that when we played against the Packers," Rhodes said. "Us as DBs felt like we could handle him. That's how we felt as DBs that we could stay on our side and cover him. In the beginning, we'd always played against them and played our sides, so that's what we as DBs went with."

Ditching the game plan helped Nelson go off in the first half. Aaron Rodgers' favorite target complied 145 yards and two TDs on seven first-half receptions -- some of that yardage came against Rhodes. The Packers led 28-13 before the Vikings got to the locker room and Zimmer took control.

With Rhodes shadowing Nelson in the second half, the Packers' receiver caught two passes for nine yards.

"That's what he was supposed to do the whole game," Zimmer said. "Someone decided they wouldn't do that."

Zimmer said corner Terence Newman mentioned something to him on the sideline about the change in plans.

"In the first half when Terence Newman came over and said something to me like 'I can cover this guy, let me have him,'" Zimmer said. "I said, 'do what you're supposed to do.'"

Newman declined to comment on the issue saying simply, "nothing. I have no idea."

In a season that started out with so much promise before spiraling out of control, the defensive back revolt is a bad look for a Vikings team that lost its way down the stretch.

Cheesehead Craig
12-24-2016, 05:48 PM
Things are in full meltdown mode in MN. I wonder if Zimmer is going to be shown the door after the season. It's either that or there needs to be a massive housecleaning of the players.

Freak Out
12-24-2016, 06:40 PM
Wow. Someone needs to be shown the door. Sure looks like its the DBs. WTF?

red
12-24-2016, 07:10 PM
if i was a queens fan i would be demanding the db's responsible are cut tomorrow

George Cumby
12-24-2016, 07:16 PM
If things have degraded this badly, can Zimmer EVER get control back?

I doubt it. Having the GM come in and fire the DBs will hurt Zims cred, IMO.

Zimmer needs to handle this himself. I think he's toast.

Rutnstrut
12-24-2016, 08:50 PM
If things have degraded this badly, can Zimmer EVER get control back?

I doubt it. Having the GM come in and fire the DBs will hurt Zims cred, IMO.

Zimmer needs to handle this himself. I think he's toast.

It's too bad because imo he is a great coach.

RashanGary
12-24-2016, 08:59 PM
If we're being completely honest with ourselves, I'm pretty sure Randall did something similar last week in doing whatever he wanted instead of detailing his responsibility. He then got pulled from the game and it sounds like the only players who will play are the ones who follow the plan.

It's not completely unusual for players to pull shit like that. Coaches have to correct it though. I don't know how bad it is. Doesn't look good, but it's a small glimpse and i don't want to assume too much about it.

gbgary
12-24-2016, 09:00 PM
wow. 2-6 since turner quit/retired/forced-out and now this. time for another regime change. that should keep them at bay for another season or two.

Pugger
12-24-2016, 11:57 PM
What is bad is the word got out about the players disregarding the game plan. I truly think Zimmer lost this team a couple of weeks ago or so when he started to call out his players in public. Say what you will about Mac but he didn't say anything negative about his players to the press lIke Zimmer has during that 4 game losing streak.

Patler
12-25-2016, 01:53 AM
If we're being completely honest with ourselves, I'm pretty sure Randall did something similar last week in doing whatever he wanted instead of detailing his responsibility. He then got pulled from the game and it sounds like the only players who will play are the ones who follow the plan.

It's not completely unusual for players to pull shit like that. Coaches have to correct it though. I don't know how bad it is. Doesn't look good, but it's a small glimpse and i don't want to assume too much about it.

It's one thing for a player to not follow all of the details of his instructions in some situations; it's something entirely different for the entire backfield to ignore the basic game plan for an entire half. If I was the coach, as soon as I was sure what was happening, I would have called a timeout and dragged their buts over to the sideline for an explanation.

pbmax
12-25-2016, 08:21 AM
I think Zimmer already got control of this situation because he won the argument at halftime. In the future, he can just put on the game film from the first half to remind them what happens when you deviate from the plan.

The question is can he and the GM avoid another season where a promising 5-0 start is shredded by 4, 2 and 2 game losing streaks?

He'll be find if the team can have success moving forward.

As an aside, pretty sure there is a veteran FA involved in these shenanigans. Seems like he brought along an agenda of his own to the team he is helping.

King Friday
12-25-2016, 09:30 AM
I don't put the blame for this on Zimmer...but the Vikings organization is clearly facing a boatload of trouble, something which they have become very familiar with during recent years.

The fact of the matter was that THIS YEAR was the one the Vikings were hoping would produce a push deep into the playoffs...one that would give their young potential franchise QB experience and confidence to lead the team forward once AP retired. Instead, their young potential franchise QB may now never become the player they hoped due to a horrific injury...and now they are stuck with Sam Bradford, who will never be a franchise caliber QB.

This won't be a very good week for the Vikings players who dared to go their own way. You can damn well be certain that Zimmer now knows the situation and the principle players. He will single them out and embarrass them with game film that proves they aren't nearly as good as they think they are. The point will be made rather emphatically for Zimmer thanks to Rodgers and Jordy absolutely slicing up the Viking secondary yesterday. Those players will lose a lot of respect in the locker room...because they made it harder for ALL of the Vikings players to perform at a high level.

Zimmer is a good coach, but he's been dealt a very difficult hand going forward. This will be a trying offseason for the Vikings and the ultimate success of the team in the future will depend on the solidarity of the front office in cleaning house of the bad apples.

Pugger
12-25-2016, 09:45 AM
Is Zimmer as wonderful as some here are stating? How in the hell did he lose this locker room? They've had a boat load of injuries but so have other teams. I truly believe he lost his players the moment he began to throw them under the bus in his press conferences. He probably is one of those coaches who isn't HCing material and is more suited to be a DC.

BZnDallas
12-25-2016, 09:51 AM
Is Zimmer as wonderful as some here are stating? How in the hell did he lose this locker room? They've had a boat load of injuries but so have other teams. I truly believe he lost his players the moment he began to throw them under the bus in his press conferences. He probably is one of those coaches who isn't HCing material and is more suited to be a DC.

I'd take him. FIRE DOM, and hire Zim as DC (unless there is a HC gig available, which is very possible). Especially if they fire him. Let him come back and get revenge on Minny twice a year. Oh I'd love to see the things he could do with this defense.

King Friday
12-25-2016, 09:58 AM
I'd take him. FIRE DOM, and hire Zim as DC (unless there is a HC gig available, which is very possible). Especially if they fire him. Let him come back and get revenge on Minny twice a year. Oh I'd love to see the things he could do with this defense.

Absolutely. If he were to get fired, I would want Green Bay to take a SERIOUS look at grabbing him. Capers is close to applesauce and 6pm bedtimes at this point...he's had a hell of a career, but I think it is time to move on if an upgrade is available.

King Friday
12-25-2016, 10:00 AM
Is Zimmer as wonderful as some here are stating?

He sure as hell did an amazing job the first month of the season when he was facing a ton of adversity. Ultimately, it was too much for the team to bear...which was what most people thought the minute Bridgewater went down.

If some players got pissed off at being called out and decided to IGNORE THE GAME PLAN and do their own thing, that's entirely on them. They are fucking professionals...act like it.

Rutnstrut
12-25-2016, 09:39 PM
I'd take Zimmer in a heartbeat as a DC. It would be like the second coming of Fritz Shurmur.

QBME
12-25-2016, 09:48 PM
It's one thing for a player to not follow all of the details of his instructions in some situations; it's something entirely different for the entire backfield to ignore the basic game plan for an entire half. If I was the coach, as soon as I was sure what was happening, I would have called a timeout and dragged their buts over to the sideline for an explanation.

What I don't get is why it took an entire half to figure it out. What exactly were the folks upstairs looking at? Sure seems somebody should have recognized what was happening and said something?

red
12-25-2016, 10:19 PM
What I don't get is why it took an entire half to figure it out. What exactly were the folks upstairs looking at? Sure seems somebody should have recognized what was happening and said something?

fitst thought i had too

gbgary
12-26-2016, 12:12 AM

he was being a soft-ass player's coach i bet (pete carroll) and letting them be men. put them in their place at ht.

Pugger
12-26-2016, 08:30 AM

But would we want him as the HC? I'd take him in second as DC for sure.

red
12-26-2016, 11:02 AM
But would we want him as the HC? I'd take him in second as DC for sure.

i think he ment HC gig somewhere else. if no one else wants him as a HC, then we might be able to get him as a DC

pbmax
12-26-2016, 11:46 AM
The mutiny only lasted a series. Damn Patler, the Star Tribune and their yellow journalism!

The alleged mutiny only lasted for a series, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/813042683199520769) but an entire secondary getting together and deciding to ignore their head coach, even if just for a few plays, is not a good look. According to a new report from NFL.com’s Ian Rapoport, (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000763883/article/vikings-defensive-switch-led-by-terence-newman?campaign=Twitter_atn) though, that’s not exactly what happened.

Rapoport reports that Rhodes went into the game planning to shadow Nelson, but relented when Newman suggested that they just stay on their respective sides of the field. From NFL.com:

Pressured by the 38-year-old Newman, Rhodes, in his fourth season, allowed the veteran to do as he pleased, Rapoport was told.

When Rhodes was eventually confronted by Zimmer on the sideline, he explained the difficult decision he faced: Listen to his coach or Newman, a respected leader of Minnesota’s defense.

So why did Rhodes make it sound like the mutiny was a team decision after the game? According to Rapoport, he was just trying to cover for Newman. The lesson here is that it’s not always a good idea to do whatever the crazy old guy at the office tells you to do.

http://deadspin.com/report-the-vikings-short-lived-mutiny-was-actually-jus-1790498990

Cheesehead Craig
12-26-2016, 12:01 PM
I think the revised story doesn't fit the facts. How is it that after halftime the pass defense got noticeably better? I think now they're trying to minimize the damage and how this looks overall.

gbgary
12-26-2016, 12:06 PM
bs...zimmer himself said it lasted the first HALF.

pbmax
12-26-2016, 12:09 PM
I think the revised story doesn't fit the facts. How is it that after halftime the pass defense got noticeably better? I think now they're trying to minimize the damage and how this looks overall.

They started to rush 5 like they did in Minny.

pbmax
12-26-2016, 12:11 PM
bs...zimmer himself said it lasted the first HALF.

Article says he took control in second half, which is fitting story and facts to game results.

Zimmer said he found out about it in first half from Newman and RapSheet says he first talked to Rhodes.

pbmax
12-26-2016, 12:40 PM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet
In the 1Q, Rhodes informed Zimmer that Newman told him the vet could cover Jordy Nelson. Rhodes relented, then covered for Newman postgame

Nick Shook @TheNickShook
Rhodes' switch to cover Nelson (and follow Zimmer's gameplan) also coincided with Newman spending a full series on the sideline

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h2 hours ago
Per film analysis from @TheNickShook, the #Vikings DBs played their own D on Jordy Nelson through the 1st play of the 3rd series. Then switched

pbmax
12-26-2016, 12:40 PM
^ Reason 1,081 why Free Agents are a blight on your franchise.

gbgary
12-27-2016, 11:07 AM
Article says he took control in second half, which is fitting story and facts to game results.

Zimmer said he found out about it in first half from Newman and RapSheet says he first talked to Rhodes.

i was going off this quote...
The alleged mutiny only lasted for a series

Fritz
12-27-2016, 01:17 PM
Funny how so many of us have Zimmer getting canned. That'd be stupid. Their entire offensive line is on IR with one exception. Oh, and your HOF running back missed all but about two games. So let's say every starting Packer offensive lineman was on IR except Linsley. We'd have Tretter out for lo these many games, which would mean Don Barclay, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy and some street free agent starting. How does anyone think that would go?

But then if that had happened, I suppose people would be calling for Thompson's head for not having enough depth on the offensive line.

Minny just needs to chalk it up to bad luck, and come up with a new offensive idea or structure for next year, and hope Peterson comes back and your offensive line doesn't get injured again all at once.

RashanGary
12-27-2016, 01:40 PM
Minny just needs to chalk it up to bad luck, and come up with a new offensive idea or structure for next year, and hope Peterson comes back and your offensive line doesn't get injured again all at once.

Don't know if I'd call it bad luck. The Packers and Patriots never have bad luck. But I don't think it's the coach. I'd pin it on the GM/ownership.

call_me_ishmael
12-27-2016, 01:42 PM
People are too reactionary in general. Who would want to coach there after seeing them fire a very successful coach after a highly injured season? Zimmer has done a good job - and who are they going to get that's A) better or B) equal or close to as effective? Talented coaches aren't going to be lining up to take the job after they see the previous coach getting a raw deal.

Cheesehead Craig
12-27-2016, 02:04 PM
There's plenty of grumbling about the GM up here too. Many are pointing to him about the OL issues and having one of the worst OL in the league.

If you think AP coming back next year will solve anything, it won't. He's way too overpaid to be brought back at his current salary and frankly, he's falling off the cliff. He's nowhere near his former self.

The criticism of Zimmer is that he publicly called out his players and then shortly afterwards there's the story that some of them did their own thing against his game plan. However long it was, it still doesn't look good on him. Add in that they are 2-8 over their last 10 games with mostly the same personnel as the 5-0 start and there's a lot of head-scratching about him. You can blame the OL injuries, but they were bad when they were 5-0 too.

Zool
12-27-2016, 02:24 PM
I highly doubt Zimmer is fired. They built their D around his style, but they decided to bring in Norv Turner. That was the mistake.

Fritz
12-27-2016, 04:46 PM
Man, I just can't see why or how you'd fire a guy who lost his entire starting line and HOF running back and starting QB to injury. At the minimum, he deserves another year.

Bet if they did can him he'd get a head coaching gig thisfast.

BZnDallas
12-27-2016, 05:17 PM
I don't think Zimmer is going to get fired. That'd be dumb. Dude is a hell of a coach. But I hope he gets canned. It is Minny after all. Sorry not sorry.

Fritz
12-27-2016, 05:37 PM
I get you, dude. Me too. And I hope da Bears fire Fox, too.

Hey Woody, what's Marc Trestmann doing these days?

run pMc
12-28-2016, 06:32 PM
They won't fire him. He's got another year. Fading from 5-0 to out of the playoff with a game left must be concerning, but a lot of their fast start was smoke and mirrors (i.e., luck and their defense). You can't expect to win every game with just those two.

gbgary
12-28-2016, 06:38 PM
I highly doubt Zimmer is fired. They built their D around his style, but they decided to bring in Norv Turner. That was the mistake.

their o was kicking ass until they forced him out. they've gone 2-7 since i think. whoever orchestrated THAT needs fired.

Cheesehead Craig
12-29-2016, 09:47 AM
their o was kicking ass until they forced him out. they've gone 2-7 since i think. whoever orchestrated THAT needs fired.

I hope that's just a dig at the Brad Childress comment that he ran a "kick ass offense".

Under Turner, the offense avg 16.1 ppg (3rd worst), 228 passing ypg (about 24th) and 68 rushing ypg (dead last). They were 5-2 with him as the OC, but the defense and special teams were the only things winning games for MN.

Pugger
12-29-2016, 10:10 AM

I'm no Turner fan but didn't their offense go to hell after Norv left?

vince
12-29-2016, 12:19 PM
The Vikes were on a 2-game skid when he resigned, coming off an embarassing performance against Chicago. Their o-line became a hot mess and they fell to the 31st ranked offense despite starting 5-0. Since he bailed on them, they jumped all the way up to 30th ranked offense.

I'd say he saw the writing on the wall and had already started being scapegoated after the team pretty much went all in for this year overpaying for Bradford and other desperate moves.

gbgary
12-29-2016, 01:04 PM
I hope that's just a dig at the Brad Childress comment that he ran a "kick ass offense".

Under Turner, the offense avg 16.1 ppg (3rd worst), 228 passing ypg (about 24th) and 68 rushing ypg (dead last). They were 5-2 with him as the OC, but the defense and special teams were the only things winning games for MN.

of their first seven games i only saw them carve us up. with a 5-2 record i assumed they did that to everyone.