PDA

View Full Version : Detroit-Dallas Game

Harlan Huckleby
12-25-2016, 11:37 AM
So we get to watch a second good and meaningful game this week. Merry Christmas.

Packers are lucky that New Orleans beat Tampa, the Lions have to play hard Monday night to clinch a playoff spot.
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/12/24/lions-can-clinch-playoff-spot-vs-cowboys/95835280/

If I were a Lions fan, I'd be feeling screwed by fact that Packers get an extra day to rest, and Lions are on a short week. It's a pretty big advantage given all the end-of-year injuries.

King Friday
12-25-2016, 11:42 AM
If I were a Lions fan, I'd be feeling screwed by fact that Packers get an extra day to rest, and Lions are on a short week. It's a pretty big advantage given all the end-of-year injuries.

It happens to all teams at some point...the schedule can't be perfectly fair for everyone when you are playing a game just about every day of the week at this point.

At least for the Lions, the game isn't a road game to boot.

Harlan Huckleby
12-25-2016, 11:44 AM
It happens to all teams at some point...the schedule can't be perfectly fair for everyone when you are playing a game just about every day of the week at this point.

At least for the Lions, the game isn't a road game to boot.

Yes, true about playing home. But when you set up a final game of the year to likely decide the division championship, it's particularly shitty to give one team 2 days more rest. Given a short week, this is as big of an advantage as a bye in the playoffs.

I've enjoyed watching Dallas play this year, looking forward to a good game. The stakes make it an even contest.

Cheesehead Craig
12-25-2016, 04:17 PM
Very few people thought the Lions were going to be fighting for a playoff spot, let alone a division title. They were going to be lucky to win 6 games this year.

Harlan Huckleby
12-25-2016, 08:56 PM
Very few people thought the Lions were going to be fighting for a playoff spot, let alone a division title. They were going to be lucky to win 6 games this year.

You can't predict year to year; nobody saw the Dallas juggernaut coming either. The last week of the year the NFL schedules all interdivision games because they are likely to be more meaningful.

gbgary
12-26-2016, 12:15 AM
I've enjoyed watching Dallas play this year, looking forward to a good game.

yeah...a hard team to hate...except dez...and jerrah.

texaspackerbacker
12-26-2016, 08:09 AM
You can't predict year to year; nobody saw the Dallas juggernaut coming either. The last week of the year the NFL schedules all interdivision games because they are likely to be more meaningful.

Don't say nobody hahahahaha. A lot of people in Texas certainly did. They were pretty much a QB and a RB away last year despite the shitty season. This a lot like when fairly sudden rise in the 90s when they had Aikman, Emmit, and Irvin. Few in the rest of the country saw that coming before it happened also.

I think they schedule the division games that way to avoid total disinterest in some cases - if a team either has it sewed up or is so far out as to be meaningless, at least fans get up and watch if it's a rivalry game.

pbmax
12-26-2016, 10:15 AM
Dallas was all the Packers wanted to handle in the playoff game two years ago when healthy.

They weren't far away. No one saw Prescott coming though.

red
12-26-2016, 10:59 AM
so todays game has absolutely no effect on our playoff picture, right?

we have to win next week no matter what to get in correct? we lose, no playoffs?

Pugger
12-26-2016, 11:21 AM
If we lose to the Lions we don't want Washington to win next week or we'd be eliminated.

Freak Out
12-26-2016, 11:21 AM
I thought there was a chance at a WC spot even with a loss?

pbmax
12-26-2016, 11:49 AM
I thought there was a chance at a WC spot even with a loss?

There is. You want a Washington loss. Problem is, Giants have clinched and can't win division. They might not have much to play for as I believe they cannot be dislodged from the 5th seed.

Detroit can clinch a playoff berth by winning tonight (or tie). If they do, they eliminate Tampa and Washington I believe.

beveaux1
12-26-2016, 12:20 PM
There is. You want a Washington loss. Problem is, Giants have clinched and can't win division. They might not have much to play for as I believe they cannot be dislodged from the 5th seed.

Detroit can clinch a playoff berth by winning tonight (or tie). If they do, they eliminate Tampa and Washington I believe.

I don't think they eliminate Tampa or Washington. If Detroit beats us, Washington would be in with a win Sunday. With a Washington loss and 2 Detroit wins, it comes down to a strength of schedule tiebreaker between GB and Tampa...if Tampa wins Sunday.

beveaux1
12-26-2016, 12:22 PM
Either way, we'll know by game time on Sunday whether we're already in the playoffs, or fighting to make the playoffs.

pbmax
12-26-2016, 12:38 PM
I don't think they eliminate Tampa or Washington. If Detroit beats us, Washington would be in with a win Sunday. With a Washington loss and 2 Detroit wins, it comes down to a strength of schedule tiebreaker between GB and Tampa...if Tampa wins Sunday.

Might be onto something there. If Lions win tonight, they would go to wildcard at 10-6 with Packers victory in Week 17. TB eliminated regardless of result (currently 8-7), Washington ALSO eliminated as their best record will be 9-6-1.

If Lions win AND take Division, then Packers versus Wash and TB becomes a turkey shoot.

USAToday: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/11/13/nfl-playoff-picture-postseason-afc-nfc-seeds-wild-card/93766362/

6. Green Bay Packers (9-6): Wild card No. 2. If Green Bay wins next week, it reclaims NFC North title. [Remaining game: at Lions]

In the hunt
7. Washington Redskins (8-6-1): They must win their final game and hope the Packers lose in Week 17 or hope the Lions lose their final two games. [Remaining game: vs. Giants]
8. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (8-7): They need to finish tied with Green Bay for the sixth seed and get tiebreaker assistance. Bucs can no longer pass Detroit after losing the common opponent tiebreaker. [Remaining game: vs. Panthers]

Cheesehead Craig
12-26-2016, 01:27 PM
So, if the Skins and Bucs both lose, we're in regardless.

Packgator
12-26-2016, 02:09 PM
There is a scenario that has the Packers playing the Lions two weeks in a row. Packers win division and Lions are a wild card. It would be a 4 seed vs 5 seed game.

Pugger
12-26-2016, 06:06 PM

Of course NY would love to knock Washington out of the playoffs...

texaspackerbacker
12-26-2016, 06:33 PM
There is a scenario that has the Packers playing the Lions two weeks in a row. Packers win division and Lions are a wild card. It would be a 4 seed vs 5 seed game.

I don't think that is correct. The Giants beat the Lions in Week 15, so they have the head to head - and if the Packers beat the Lions, Detroit is at best tied with the Giants in won/lost. The Giants are locked into the 5th seed.

Question: if we happen to run the table as far as the NFC championship game, and the Giants get there too with a better record than the Packers, who gets home field?

esoxx
12-26-2016, 06:42 PM
Packers would get home field over Giants by virtue of being division champs versus wild card entry.

pbmax
12-26-2016, 06:42 PM
I don't think that is correct. The Giants beat the Lions in Week 15, so they have the head to head - and if the Packers beat the Lions, Detroit is at best tied with the Giants in won/lost. The Giants are locked into the 5th seed.

Question: if we happen to run the table as far as the NFC championship game, and the Giants get there too with a better record than the Packers, who gets home field?

Wild card cannot host game against a Division winner, I don't think.

But the Packer can play the Lions again. Winner of their game is Division winner. Packers are either the 3 or 4 seed and host a WC game. Lions can be the 6th seed/wildcard and play the 3rd seed.

Packer lose next week combined with Wash loss, the Packers can be the sixth seed (WC). Lions can be the 3 seed and host Packers again.

pbmax
12-26-2016, 06:44 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/26/upshot/week-17-nfl-playoff-picture-paths.html#gb

That will cover all the scenarios. The most interesting one is Packers win, Falcons lose to Saints and Seachickens lose to 49ers. Packers get #2 seed and bye.

Not gonna happen that way, but interesting.

King Friday
12-26-2016, 08:46 PM
The Dallas defense is starting to show the cracks tonight...we've known those weak areas existed, but no one has really exploited them yet this year. Detroit is giving a roadmap.

beveaux1
12-26-2016, 09:00 PM
Detroit wants the playoffs. Dallas looks a little flat. If Detroit wins, they're in, even if they lose to us.

Teamcheez1
12-26-2016, 09:03 PM
Detroit wants the playoffs. Dallas looks a little flat. If Detroit wins, they're in, even if they lose to us.

So that begs the question on whether it would better if Detroit won tonight? They wouldn't have as much to play for next week.

beveaux1
12-26-2016, 09:16 PM
They're playing for the division, which they haven't won since 1993.

beveaux1
12-26-2016, 09:18 PM
Although....they might feel like they have a fall back if they lose. Could be they won't have as much of an edge.

ThunderDan
12-26-2016, 09:24 PM
Lions secondary looks worse than ours.

Bademosi is their Jarrett Bush being forced to play against Dez Bryant.

yetisnowman
12-26-2016, 09:31 PM
So that begs the question on whether it would better if Detroit won tonight? They wouldn't have as much to play for next week.

You gotta wonder do you want them at home in a must win scenario, or a want to win scenario. Maybe they would be more tight and nervous if they lose tonight. Or maybe they will be more focused... who knows. This team doesn't have much big game experience... so it's kind of a crapshoot.

texaspackerbacker
12-26-2016, 09:34 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/26/upshot/week-17-nfl-playoff-picture-paths.html#gb

That will cover all the scenarios. The most interesting one is Packers win, Falcons lose to Saints and Seachickens lose to 49ers. Packers get #2 seed and bye.

You know I'd never go against the illustrious NY Times hahahahaha, but the best we could do with a win against the Lions and an Atlanta loss is to tie the Falcons in record. They beat us head to head, so I can't see any way we could jump them to 2nd seed.

How about them Cowboys now hahahaha! They were sluggish for a while, but now they got it going - and the Lions are giving a LOT of reasons for Packer optimism.

Teamcheez1
12-26-2016, 09:38 PM
Lions secondary looks worse than ours.

Bademosi is their Jarrett Bush being forced to play against Dez Bryant.

Rodgers should be able to carve them up if our defense can play average.

Netmag
12-26-2016, 09:54 PM
if our defense can play average.

....and there in lies a major key (even for how much farther we can go overall). We can probably survive some temporary lulls in the offensive, but the defense has to at least be reasonably competent for most of the game.

Teamcheez1
12-26-2016, 10:13 PM
Looks like it will be for all the marbles next Sunday. Detroit not gonna pull the upset.

Joemailman
12-26-2016, 10:13 PM

Tex is right. Packers lose head to head tie-breaker with Atlanta. Packers cannot get #2 seed. They can get the #3 seed with a win and a Seattle loss.

Netmag
12-26-2016, 10:35 PM
We should know the results of the giants/redskins game for the start of our game.

Redskins lose and the loser of our game will still get into the playoffs as the #6 seed.
Redskins win and it's win or else - the loser is done for the year.

I actually don't care if the redskins win there game or not. If they win and we take care of business, then we won't have to worry about playing the lions the following week in the playoffs. If we can't take care of business and win the North, then we should probably just bow out now anyway.
Both teams should be really hyped for the game though.

Patler
12-27-2016, 05:58 AM
There is always the possibility of the Packers and Lions playing to a tie. With a Washington win, all three would be 9-6-1. I think the result would be:

Packers would win the division because of winning the first game against the Lions.
Lions would get the wild card because of beating Washington.
Washington would be out of the playoffs, even though they would have beaten the Giants twice and the Packers once.

Fritz
12-27-2016, 01:23 PM
I did not see the game last night, but it sounds like the Lions ran the ball really well for the first half, then mysteriously abandoned the run. Jim Bob Cooter getting roasted for his second-half playcalling.

If Darius Slay plays next week, that will help Detroit immensely. My guess is that he'll be out there, unless maybe Washington loses and Detroit knows it's in either way. Then they might want to give that hammy another week of rest.

Should be a good game. The Pack will definitely need to survive the first-quarter avalanche of noise and pandemonium that will exist. I went to a Lions/Bears Monday night game a few years ago, and Ford Field was the loudest place I've ever been in. It was insane. You couldn't hear the guy next to you. It hurt your ears. If the Lions get an early turnover, or score a touchdown on their first drive, things could go south fast.

Zool
12-27-2016, 02:18 PM
I think the Lions abandoned the run when the Cowboys scored on 3 consecutive possessions.

Fritz
12-27-2016, 04:50 PM
You know, it's a funny game. We all seem to be expecting the Pack to run over the Lions, and of course that's right when that doesn't happen. I can easily see the Lions getting ahead early, their team feeding off the crowd, and the Packers falling short.

Pugger
12-27-2016, 06:13 PM
I don't think we will run over the loins by any stretch. They are at home with their backs against the wall. We gotta play a smart error free game and get an early lead. Getting a pass rush on Stafford is imperitive. If we play like we are capable of and don't turn the ball over we should win this game.

channtheman
12-27-2016, 07:06 PM
You know I'd never go against the illustrious NY Times hahahahaha, but the best we could do with a win against the Lions and an Atlanta loss is to tie the Falcons in record. They beat us head to head, so I can't see any way we could jump them to 2nd seed.

How about them Cowboys now hahahaha! They were sluggish for a while, but now they got it going - and the Lions are giving a LOT of reasons for Packer optimism.

Yeah I was scratching my head at that too. We can't get the 2 seed anymore.