PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Rock City: Lose Your Mind

pbmax
12-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 25m25 minutes ago
McCarthy: Randall (Cobb) will work with the rehab group today. He's getting better.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 24m24 minutes ago
McCarthy: Lot of energy in the building today...Everybody's excited about this opportunity to win the NFC North. #GBvsDET

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 21m21 minutes ago
McCarthy on finishing: We talk about that everyday. We'll study, recognize our opponent. But we'll be spendingtime focusing on ourselves.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 20m20 minutes ago
McCarthy on run game: We're not going to invent anything new. But spent more time than we normally would do. We don't want to do too much.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 16m16 minutes ago
McCarthy: We feel our season is just getting started...We're focused on beating the Lions. #GBvsDET

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 16m16 minutes ago
McCarthy on Gunter: He's been probably our highest graded corner. Think about where he's started. He's getting better. Expect him to play.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 12m12 minutes ago
McCarthy says LaDarius Gunter, who left Saturday's game with an elbow injury, has probably been #Packers' "highest-graded corner" in 2016.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 10m10 minutes ago
McCarthy on Stafford: I thought he threw the ball really well on Monday night. He's fun to watch. I think he's playing great.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 19m19 minutes ago
McCarthy on scoreboard watching: I'm going to be focused on my play call sheet. We're not going to change anything we do on a night game.

Ryan Wood ‏@ByRyanWood 21m21 minutes ago
McCarthy asked if he's tempted to ask Giants coach Ben McAdoo, a former asst., to play starters vs. Washington: "No, I would never do that."

Harlan Huckleby
12-28-2016, 02:21 PM
McCarthy on Gunter: He's been probably our highest graded corner. Think about where he's started. He's getting better. Expect him to play.

At 6'2" he definitely wins the tallest midget contest.

I have zero idea who is any good at corner. They've all been up and down. Probably Randall is the best - except when he really, really isn't.

TravisWilliams23
12-28-2016, 05:37 PM
Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 25m25 minutes ago

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 16m16 minutes ago

"

MM must have some sort of grading curve like they do in college to make everyone "feel" like they're doing acceptable work.

Tony Oday
12-28-2016, 06:13 PM
MM must have some sort of grading curve like they do in college to make everyone "feel" like they're doing acceptable work.

He has looked competent at least, unlike some.

gbgary
12-28-2016, 06:30 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 19m19 minutes ago
McCarthy on scoreboard watching: I'm going to be focused on my play call sheet. We're not going to change anything we do on a night game.

who asked THAT stupid question. all the games will be done by the time we play. lol

texaspackerbacker
12-28-2016, 06:55 PM
I think it really depends on who or what kind of WR they're going against. Gunter can close cover a lot of good WRs, but he can be beaten by flat out speed. Rollins seems to have the speed but gets fooled way too easy. Randall has just looked crappy, but it's possible he is playing hurt and really not that bad. He also seems weak at tackling in open field.

A quality true cover Corner - preferably with both size and speed - rises to the top of my 1st round draft pick wish list.

pbmax
12-28-2016, 07:00 PM
who asked THAT stupid question. all the games will be done by the time we play. lol

Question might have been smarter than answer. I think the question was about could results before game affect their approach at 7:30 PM.

Joemailman
12-29-2016, 06:16 AM
http://d2s3dt9f4iyeup.cloudfront.net/images/resized_v1/e9e60b94-f0d1-479e-b55a-0b17288a216a.jpg

Fritz
12-29-2016, 09:47 AM
It strikes me that these are two very similar teams: poor secondaries, one really good defensive lineman, poor or unsettled running games, depth at wide receiver, fast or quick tight ends who stretch the field, completely quarterback-driven.

Very similar. This one's going to be scary. And Detroit's special teams are better than Green Bay's. And they're at home, where it will be bedlam, sheer bedlam.

Pugger
12-29-2016, 10:14 AM
I think it really depends on who or what kind of WR they're going against. Gunter can close cover a lot of good WRs, but he can be beaten by flat out speed. Rollins seems to have the speed but gets fooled way too easy. Randall has just looked crappy, but it's possible he is playing hurt and really not that bad. He also seems weak at tackling in open field.

A quality true cover Corner - preferably with both size and speed - rises to the top of my 1st round draft pick wish list.

It may be just me dreaming but I'd prefer a FA veteran instead.

Pugger
12-29-2016, 10:15 AM
It strikes me that these are two very similar teams: poor secondaries, one really good defensive lineman, poor or unsettled running games, depth at wide receiver, fast or quick tight ends who stretch the field, completely quarterback-driven.

Very similar. This one's going to be scary. And Detroit's special teams are better than Green Bay's. And they're at home, where it will be bedlam, sheer bedlam.

I'm glad we have the better QB.

bobblehead
12-29-2016, 10:49 AM
It may be just me dreaming but I'd prefer a FA veteran instead.

if anything is available of true quality you could see TT dip this year. You might see a lot of cap room open up. Shields could be done, Peppers is likely done. Cobb should be restructured but won't be.

I don't see much we need to pay too big in our own FA crop. TT will likely resign a slew of guys who are reasonable in demands, but who is FA that demands Shields money, or even Peppers?

That being said I have no clue who might be available this year.

pbmax
12-29-2016, 10:53 AM
McCarthy on Starks: Getting closer. Attending meetings.

McCarthy on Ford Field: it’s unique. The noise is a challenge. I think it would be a great place to watch game. Very difficult place to play

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 8m8 minutes ago
McCarthy on travel: Leave an hour later than we usually do. We’ll practice a little later.

McCarthy on extra practice time: It’s definitely beneficial. It’s a normal Thursday practice.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 6m6 minutes ago
McCarthy on #GBvsDET: Just stay focused more on us than them. If we take care of our own house, we'll be fine.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 7m7 minutes ago
McCarthy on Cook: No one keeps stat on how much attention does a player require. Those are things factor into his presence here. Great fit.

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 7m7 minutes ago
MM on "@RobDemovsky" stat re Jared Cook: Something nobody takes into account is how much attention does a player require. That's important

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 4m4 minutes ago
McCarthy on the Megatron-less Detroit passing game: "I find they're tougher to prepare for when you play wide open" #GBvsDET

pbmax
12-29-2016, 10:55 AM
if anything is available of true quality you could see TT dip this year. You might see a lot of cap room open up. Shields could be done, Peppers is likely done. Cobb should be restructured but won't be.

I don't see much we need to pay too big in our own FA crop. TT will likely resign a slew of guys who are reasonable in demands, but who is FA that demands Shields money, or even Peppers?

That being said I have no clue who might be available this year.

Speaking of re-signing:

If Lang moves on, do you see another Guard on the roster you want to start? (not an accusation, serious question)

Never would have thought Taylor handles the job this well, but is there another Taylor around? Lots of tackles prospects, Tretter, Spriggs, Murphy, but I am not sure Barclay is ready.

Fritz
12-29-2016, 10:57 AM
Stafford is playing his best football this year. At the top of his game, Rodgers is better, but he has to be at the top of his game.

Stafford has a lot of fourth-quarter comeback magic. A one-score lead with a minute left is not safe.

vince
12-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Stafford is playing his best football this year. At the top of his game, Rodgers is better, but he has to be at the top of his game.

Stafford has a lot of fourth-quarter comeback magic. A one-score lead with a minute left is not safe.
This is pretty rich. I give Stafford Stage 2

https://media.profootballfocus.com/2016/12/Wk-17-QB-Pocket-presence.png
Aaron Rodgers - The Mythical Ninja of Pocket Presence (https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-biggest-reason-why-aaron-rodgers-will-be-close-to-impossible-for-lions-to-defend/)

Above even the black belts of pocket presence lies something else, and this is where Aaron Rodgers resides. Rodgers is our mythical ninja of pocket presence — he’s the Rickson Gracie. He doesn’t just sense pressure developing and neutralize it with subtle movements within the pocket like the brown and black belts, but he is actively influencing the pressure with his movements by effectively resetting the leverage of his blockers back and forth as he adjusts in the pocket and forces pass-rushers to match him or lose contain.
He feels everything at once, in slow motion, and is able to influence the pass rush and his protection, all at the same time as actually reading the defense and finding an open receiver. Simply put, it’s freaky.

pbmax
12-29-2016, 11:34 AM
Rodgers does occasionally go from frying pan to fire. But he does, amazingly, often find a way to put his O lineman back in a position of strength.

vince
12-29-2016, 12:07 PM
Speaking of re-signing:

If Lang moves on, do you see another Guard on the roster you want to start? (not an accusation, serious question)

Never would have thought Taylor handles the job this well, but is there another Taylor around? Lots of tackles prospects, Tretter, Spriggs, Murphy, but I am not sure Barclay is ready.
I think there's a good chance Murphy ends up at Guard.

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Murphy sports a prototypical build with broad shoulders, long arms and a relatively trim middle.

Murphy's quick start and length make him a formidable opponent in pass protection. He slides well laterally and is alert to stunts and blitzes, getting a strong shove on one defender before switching off to another. While quick enough to get to the second level as a run blocker, Murphy can get off-balance when attempting to change direction.

He is very effective, on the other hand, as a drive blocker, showing surprising flexibility to get under the pads of opponents and impressive leg drive to consistently move the pile.

WEAKNESSES: While possessing good initial quickness, Murphy isn't an elite athlete and will almost certainly be asked to move back to right tackle or perhaps even inside to guard.

He's quick enough for traps but once defenders cross his face, Murphy lacks recovery speed and the flexibility to change directions quickly, resorting to reaching out and latching onto defenders.

IN OUR VIEW: There is a lot to like about Murphy's game as he's quick, powerful, durable and tough.

--Rob Rang (@RobRang) (2/6/16)

Guiness
12-29-2016, 12:10 PM
http://d2s3dt9f4iyeup.cloudfront.net/images/resized_v1/e9e60b94-f0d1-479e-b55a-0b17288a216a.jpg

Anyone know what's up with Christine Michael? I assume Peppers was just given the day off to rest.

Does anyone else find it interesting that Starks is in the concussion protocol for an NFI? How exactly did that happen? Was it diagnosed at the hospital, so the NFL put him in the protocol, or was he tested by the league?

pbmax
12-29-2016, 12:41 PM
Docs found he had a concussion after his auto accident.

Fritz
12-29-2016, 01:05 PM
But the NFL is primarily interested in protecting its reputation, so the concussion protocol was instituted so the NFL could say, "Look, see, if our players get hurt playing football in the NFL, we're taking care of them!"

But Starks was hurt in an auto accident. Screw the concussion protocol! It's not about player safety; it's about making it look like the NFL cares about player safety.

PS - Vince, Stafford has been incredible at the ends of games. Not something to blow off. He's been better than Rodgers in that regard this year.

vince
12-29-2016, 01:12 PM
Agreed. And I apologize Fritz. I didn't meant to be critical of your post. I was referring to the article, which I thought was good but maybe a little over the top with its mystical karate analogies.

gbgary
12-29-2016, 01:13 PM
But the NFL is primarily interested in protecting its reputation, so the concussion protocol was instituted so the NFL could say, "Look, see, if our players get hurt playing football in the NFL, we're taking care of them!"

But Starks was hurt in an auto accident. Screw the concussion protocol! It's not about player safety; it's about making it look like the NFL cares about player safety.

PS - Vince, Stafford has been incredible at the ends of games. Not something to blow off. He's been better than Rodgers in that regard this year.

the nfl reputation is nothing to protect right now. it's something to improve on. having a concussion protocol is a good thing but this is a violent game and it can only be made "safe" to a point without making it unfootball. the do-gooders are just going to have to get over it. it's a about as safe now as it's ever going to be.

pbmax
12-29-2016, 01:28 PM
The reason there is a concussion protocol probably falls under owner self interest. The reason the concussion protocol fails in many cases falls under coach's self interest.

But there is no doubt that having the protocol helps players when used correctly. It doesn't stop concussions not does it cure them, but it does provide a chance for health to return.

hoosier
12-29-2016, 02:54 PM

GB has a significant edge at receiver (nobody on Det compares to Nelson, and Cook, Adams and Cobb are at least as good as Ebron, Jones and Boldin). And the OLs aren't comparable either. That plus Rodgers = three significant edges to GB.

Joemailman
12-29-2016, 04:15 PM
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/bb230f4a64917c123dfbb1ccf1297095b61bb5b0/c=0-8-901-685&r=x408&c=540x405/local/-/media/2016/12/29/WIGroup/PackersNews/636186246847846756-Screenshot-2016-12-29-15.05.50.png

bobblehead
12-29-2016, 05:25 PM
Speaking of re-signing:

Tretter could be a guard out of the Mike Wahle mold. Not a road grader, but good feet, mobile. Can do some different things with him than Lang. Would like to see Lang signed for 3 years, but can't see breaking the bank for him. Spriggs has impressed me with his ability at guard. I saw him as a pure tackle, but now could see a Darren College type guard...you know, the 10 year starter who misses one game in his entire career and everyone hates.

bobblehead
12-29-2016, 05:28 PM
I think there's a good chance Murphy ends up at Guard.

That breakdown sounds a lot like Bulaga.

Rutnstrut
12-30-2016, 10:06 AM
GB has a significant edge at receiver (nobody on Det compares to Nelson, and Cook, Adams and Cobb are at least as good as Ebron, Jones and Boldin). And the OLs aren't comparable either. That plus Rodgers = three significant edges to GB.

The Packers D are great at making ageing receivers young again. So Boldin scares me in this game.

Freak Out
12-30-2016, 01:13 PM
Is Riddick going to play?

Fritz
12-31-2016, 09:04 AM
Is Riddick going to play?

Detroit papers say he's out.

The tenor of the JSO articles this morning matches my own thinking: theLions have a fourth-quarter comeback toughness; the Packer pass defense is horrible in the fourth quarter. The Lions have a defense that tackles well after the catch; the Packer corners tackle like puzzies. Lions have a deep group of wide receivers and Eric Ebron; Packers have struggled against even decent tight ends. The energy at Ford Field will be phenomenal and thePackers don't do well when they get behind early.

Honestly, I see a very disappointing season-ending loss coming Sunday night.

Carolina_Packer
12-31-2016, 09:31 AM
Here's hoping that Stafford keeps trending as he has been trending since the injury to his throwing hand. He doesn't want to blame that, and no injured player ever does, but there's no denying the dip in his production the last few games. Dom, I hope you have your guys ready. Yesterday, I heard notorious A-Rod hater, Skip Bayless, declare the Packers a 42-14 winner. He was giving into the pressure of Shannon Sharpe and the other panelist they had on the show and then made his prediction. I'll just take the W, and I'd be glad if it wasn't close.

gbgary
12-31-2016, 02:52 PM
i think it's gonna be a shoot-out. whoever's secondary can hold up the longest wins. i'm saying.....................Packers.

Fritz
12-31-2016, 03:42 PM
i think it's gonna be a shoot-out. whoever's secondary can hold up the longest wins. i'm saying.....................Packers.

Ah, but Detroit's special teams are better, and the crowd noise will be fearsome. In the game I've been referencing, the Monday night Bears game in 2011 at Ford Field, the Bears had SIX false start penalties in the first half alone. The Bears offense was completely confused.

I just have a bad, bad feeling. That crowd, that awful Packer secondary. Detroit's secondary isn't good but they tackle well.

And Detroit sports writers agree - this is the year the Lions actually win.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/2016/12/31/lions-packers-predictions/96036572/

pbmax
01-01-2017, 08:22 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago
Randall Cobb may dress tonight, but the #Packers aren't counting on their versatile WR for much. Needs another week with his gimpy ankle.

pbmax
01-01-2017, 08:27 AM
Ah, but Detroit's special teams are better...

True, but that might be it.

Football Outsiders

Packers 6th in Offense, 19th in Defense and 21st in DT
Lions 17th in O, 32nd in D and 5th in ST.

Packers 6th overall, 7th in more recent efforts. Detroit is 26th/27th.

Green Bay favored by 3.5 on road according to Bovada and USAToday.

Fritz
01-01-2017, 09:13 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m3 minutes ago
Randall Cobb may dress tonight, but the #Packers aren't counting on their versatile WR for much. Needs another week with his gimpy ankle.

Well, Elvis Costello knows what that means.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C9GlC9GyF4Y