PDA

View Full Version : Ted Kicked Upstairs?

pbmax
01-01-2017, 07:42 AM
I would normally roast this report over the coals for being so general that it can be true and wrong at the same time (might happen as soon as some time in the future!). But RapSheet has ferreted out details from the coaching side (and occasionally the admin side) that have been proven true previously.

If you're looking for a surprise, the Packers could be it. While the coaching staff may tinker after the season, including possibly OC Edgar Bennett likely getting head coach interviews, it is expected to have minimal changes. The front office, however, is a different story. GM Ted Thompson is under contract through 2018, but this could be the year he steps aside and becomes a senior scouting adviser. If Green Bay has success in the playoffs, that possibility increases. There are a few reasons why: First of all, Director of Football Operations Eliot Wolf is coveted and he'll have opportunities to interview as a GM elsewhere. The organization could risk losing him if he's not promoted. Second of all, CEO Mark Murphy still hasn't hired his own guy, and he's been around the organization much more this year as he studies things from the inside. There are plenty of talented people in the Packers front office -- VP Russ Ball, Director of Player Personnel Brian Gutekunst and Senior Personnel Executive Alonzo Highsmith among them. And this could be the year Thompson steps aside to make way for them.

He lists this as a surprise and its the last item. I think this is pure speculation, meaning that Bretsky might be Rap Sheet or his source. But here it is in print. I mean pixels.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000766647/article/bears-expected-to-stay-the-course-with-john-fox?campaign=Twitter_atn

My take is this is more likely to happen at Murphy's insistence if the Packers disappoint at end of season. Murph and the Magictones would be far more willing to risk losing one or two front office guys if they win another Super Bowl, as it will be his second and he likely has his job for life. Thompson obviously could call it a career voluntarily with a win.

BZnDallas
01-01-2017, 08:04 AM
Where there is smoke there is usually fire....

Smidgeon
01-01-2017, 11:01 AM
Where there is smoke there is usually fire....

Where there is media, there is perceived smoke.

Guiness
01-01-2017, 12:01 PM
Where there is media, there is perceived smoke.

QFT

Ted's been in the game for a while. Keep predicting he's going to retire, and eventually you will be correct. I doubt anyone knows much either way.

I would not be surprised to see some front office raiding though. EW's name has been in the media quite a bit, and if there's any real smoke, I wouldn't be surprised if it's there.

Interesting to see Highsmith's name mentioned. Became a pro boxer after football, 30 fights in the heavyweight division. How can he have enough braincells left for cognitive thought?

red
01-01-2017, 12:03 PM
they have to do something, if not, they're gonna lose all that home grown talent and then teds just gonna decide to retire in a year or two anyways and leave us screwed

its a bit ironic, this is almost exactly like the favre- rodgers situation that TT had to make a decision on. TT might have to get "TT-ed")

red
01-01-2017, 12:04 PM
QFT

Ted's been in the game for a while. Keep predicting he's going to retire, and eventually you will be correct. I doubt anyone knows much either way.

I would not be surprised to see some front office raiding though. EW's name has been in the media quite a bit, and if there's any real smoke, I wouldn't be surprised if it's there.

Interesting to see Highsmith's name mentioned. Became a pro boxer after football, 30 fights in the heavyweight division. How can he have enough braincells left for cognitive thought?

you don't need to have brain cells to thrive in the NFL, you just have to know people and not step on any toes

gbgary
01-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Ted Kicked Upstairs?

didn't know there was anything higher than gm.

Patler
01-01-2017, 12:35 PM
Funny thing is, there were lots of stories a few years ago that GB could afford to lose one, maybe two of Schneider, McKenzie and Dorsey, but not all three. Then, they did lose all three, and articles appeared about a leadership and experience gap in GB's front office. That lasted no more than a year before the next triumvirate of Wolf, Ball and Highsmith was being touted as essential to the organization and coveted around the league. Now we are told they must do something before they lose all three.

GB is an excellently run business organization. Excellent organizations continuously bring in good young talent, and have candidates to move up if and when someone leaves. I suspect GB has people ready and able. The GM job in GB is highly desirable. They will have great interest from outside the organization whenever TT steps down. I don't worry about losing Wolf or anyone else.

That said, this wouldn't surprise me. TT has said, and others have said about him that he thrives on scouting, and tolerates the other parts of his job. Sometime soon, he will make changes, and this could be the ideal off season for it.

pbmax
01-01-2017, 12:46 PM
Where there is media, there is perceived smoke, otherwise known as steam.

FIFY!

Ted going to scouting full time as a wild card scout would fit his professed operating mode. He is old enough and accomplished enough that it might seem like a come down. If he were anyone else (Holmgren, Wolf, Favre, Rodgers) I wouldn't believe it. But I could see Ted retiring to this.

Patler is indeed right about the funnel of talent that GB continues to work through. However, its possible that Murphy or someone on the Exec Board has fallen for the false sense of urgency.

Patler
01-01-2017, 12:52 PM
However, its possible that Murphy or someone on the Exec Board has fallen for the false sense of urgency.

Wouldn't everyone be surprised if the guy they want to replace TT is actually in a different organization, and primed to move somewhere soon? Maybe it isn't one of the three in-house guys!

pbmax
01-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Wouldn't everyone be surprised if the guy they want to replace TT is actually in a different organization, and primed to move somewhere soon? Maybe it isn't one of the three in-house guys!

Finally Bretsky's chance to meet Scott Pioli.

gbgary
01-01-2017, 12:56 PM
the organization has suffered from being raided by other teams the last few years. it's shown on the field.

Bretsky
01-01-2017, 01:28 PM
Finally Bretsky's chance to meet Scott Pioli.

Many wise men have noted had Pioli stayed in NE the Pats would have five more SB's

With that being said, it's time for TT to be Melvinized

It's time for Eliott Wolf.

He just won the Packerrats FFL; now Eliot Wolf needs to be hired as our GB before he leaves.

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2017, 01:33 AM
Y'all act like 63 is super old. Would not surprise me if Ted is working full time into his 70s. What else is he gonna do? He doesn't have a fam or anyone to travel with. Why would anyone give up $$$ like he's earning when they are still near the top of their profession?

I can't see the team forcing him out when he has been pretty darn successful. Again... who would want to take that job after they see a tremendously talented and respected person get the boot? If I were a talented up-and-coming GM, I sure wouldn't want to work for someone who fired the old guy without a truly valid reason.

RashanGary
01-02-2017, 02:18 AM
Y'all act like 63 is super old. Would not surprise me if Ted is working full time into his 70s. What else is he gonna do? He doesn't have a fam or anyone to travel with. Why would anyone give up $$$ like he's earning when they are still near the top of their profession?

I can't see the team forcing him out when he has been pretty darn successful.

I agree with this part. Actually, I don't see him going into his 70s, just 3-5 more years. But I think he's the best GM in football. I doubt he's going anywhere until he chooses.

Fritz
01-02-2017, 07:54 AM
Ted probably has enough money. And since he loves scouting best, it wouldn't surprise me to see him retire into a scouting gig. He doesn't seem to love the other parts of the job as much. I would draft every wide receiver and offensive linemen he recommends, but none of the defensive linemen he likes. Unless they're fourth rounders or later.

pbmax
01-02-2017, 09:10 AM

I can't see the team forcing him out when he has been pretty darn successful. Again... who would want to take that job after they see a tremendously talented and respected person get the boot? If I were a talented up-and-coming GM, I sure wouldn't want to work for someone who fired the old guy without a truly valid reason.

Its not but since he had that absence to take care of a personal matter a year or two ago, he seems to age in a big leap. Doesn't seem as spry and looks more frail.

Its not evidence of anything, just an observation.

call_me_ishmael
01-02-2017, 11:22 PM
Has it ever come out what was wrong? I always assumed he had some sort of health/cancer situation.

The fact that Elliot Wolfe is interviewing for openings tells me that Ted isn't going anywhere next year.

call_me_ishmael
01-03-2017, 01:25 AM
How PO'd would you be if you're Wolf and missed out the the Detroit gig last year and are stuck settling on the dumpster fire known as SF. Woof. D-town at least has a lot of promise and a stud quarterback. SF has nothing.

Carolina_Packer
01-03-2017, 05:37 AM
they have to do something, if not, they're gonna lose all that home grown talent and then teds just gonna decide to retire in a year or two anyways and leave us screwed

its a bit ironic, this is almost exactly like the favre- rodgers situation that TT had to make a decision on. TT might have to get "TT-ed")

Except that TT will offer no deke, ala Favre. That sounds a bit like French cuisine. I don't think TT will hold anyone hostage trying to decide. He's either going to be in or out, whether or not he's still fully in charge of that decision or Murphy and Co. are talking to him about an exit strategy. I say don't get too myopic on Eliot Wolf. There may be someone else out there worth looking at, or that should be considered as well.

texaspackerbacker
01-03-2017, 06:14 AM
Excellent Point, Carolina. I'm not so sure that Elliot Wolf would represent any significant difference in team-building philosophy from Thompson. Schneider probably would, but apparently he ain't available. So widening the search if/when TT finally hangs it up would be preferable.

pbmax
01-03-2017, 07:55 AM
The difference in philosophies is probably overstated, but the story used to be told of Schneider and Mckenzie taking possible deals for FA to Thompson only for him often to be uninterested.

I don't know of any similar stories about Wolf or Gutenkisk. Bretsky or Patler might remember more.