PDA

View Full Version : Official Wist vs Tex Dom Capers discussion thread

RashanGary
01-01-2017, 09:02 PM
What do we think about the defense and Dom Capers? This is the place for it. I hope Wist and Tex show up :)

Bretsky
01-01-2017, 09:29 PM
Dom gets what he can out of the talent Ted gives him. He's an average DC IMO and it's silly to say nothing when the D plays great and then ambush him when it doesn't. Matthews misses a ball aimed for his chest and GB gives up a TD and Dom gets bashed then ?

In the end, who are the playmakers on this defense ? We don't have enough. If we had Sam Shelds this defense would be so so much better. We're about average to a bit below average. That meshes with the talent there.

In the end we have a hard time stopping teams w/o turnovers because we lack playmakers

red
01-01-2017, 09:42 PM
the defense is boom or bust. i think they usually give up tons of yards, sometimes they just get turnovers. if they aren't getting turnovers, they suck

esoxx
01-01-2017, 10:09 PM
Stubby

Edit: wrong thread.

run pMc
01-02-2017, 09:24 PM
Dom gets what he can out of the talent Ted gives him.

I think this is true. I also think the number of young players/UDFAs and the willingness (or need) to play rookies cuts into how crazy/complicated Dom can really with his scheme.
TT's given him some talent that hasn't panned out but he has enough, and in general it's a middle of the road defense. Injuries and a lack of confidence in the secondary have hurt them...IMO Randall and Rollins have been playing hurt and giving up too much cushion because they are still feeling some lingering/nagging effects. Randall had groin surgery for heaven's sake. Losing your #1 CB doesn't help either.

I think Dom could get a job immediately if he were fired. He's done ok with what he has.

texaspackerbacker
01-02-2017, 11:00 PM
I just got back from a great day at AT&T watching the Badgers win the Cotton Bowl.

Yeah, my views are oft repeated and should be well known: the Packers D is only as good as it is because of Capers' scheming and compensation for generally mediocre talent - as somebody said above, doing the best he can with the talent Ted provided him. I think we would see and drastic drop off without Capers' scheming.

The other side of that coin, of course, is that when you compensate, you leave yourself vulnerable somewhere. Occasionally the Packers get burned that way, but I sure wouldn't blame Capers, as he wins the chess game way more often than not.

Fritz
01-03-2017, 11:50 AM
the defense is boom or bust. i think they usually give up tons of yards, sometimes they just get turnovers. if they aren't getting turnovers, they suck

I have to agree with Red here. This is a turnover-or-bust defense. There's just not much talent or healthy talent at the corner position, and frankly the pass rush has been disappointing, so it's either turnovers for the defense or touchdowns for the offense.

Practice those fumble drills and interception drills this week, baby!