PDA

View Full Version : Any Duck Hunters out there?

BlueBrewer
09-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Just wondering, I am itching for th opener. I'm heading to north dakota for a week for their opener. It is the best week of the year. :D

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2006, 01:23 PM
I grew up in North Dakota. Like most others, I hunted pretty much everything while I was in high school. Since then, not so much. I still get out deer hunting in the Badlands and every few years I get back to North Dakota to do some pheasant hunting.

BlueBrewer
09-06-2006, 03:16 PM
I grew up in North Dakota. Like most others, I hunted pretty much everything while I was in high school. Since then, not so much. I still get out deer hunting in the Badlands and every few years I get back to North Dakota to do some pheasant hunting.

We go to a little town called Balta, about 10 miles south of Rugby.

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2006, 03:21 PM
It's great hunting. I just wish you out-of-staters would stay home--unless you are one of the good ones. Wait! I'm an out-of-stater now. Box!

BlueBrewer
09-06-2006, 03:30 PM
It's great hunting. I just wish you out-of-staters would stay home--unless you are one of the good ones. Wait! I'm an out-of-stater now. Box!

I would like to think I am a good one. I spend a ton of money in an otherwise dead town, for some birds that taste like shit. It sure is fun though.

swede
09-06-2006, 03:42 PM
A Wisconsin farmer caught an Illinois hunter walking out of one of his fields with a pair of ducks, even though the land had been clearly posted No Trespassing.

The farmer offered to forego calling the game warden if the citizen of Illinois would enter into a contest of strength and will. Wishing to avoid legal entanglements the hunter agreed.

The farmer explained that they would each kick the other in the nuts as hard as possible until one side gave up. The winner could keep the ducks. As landowner and the wronged party, the farmer stipulated that he should go first. The hunter agreed and braced hinself to receive the first blow.

Then, with a mighty swing of his leg, the farmer smashed his boot into the hunter's gonads.

Eyes watering, the hunter gasped that he needed a moment before taking his turn.

"Oh, never mind," said the farmer. "Go ahead and keep the ducks. You win."

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2006, 03:58 PM
I would like to think I am a good one. I spend a ton of money in an otherwise dead town, for some birds that taste like shit. It sure is fun though.

You are looking at it from your side of the fence. If you lived in that dead town (while paying taxes out the ying) for the express reason of the quality of life (e.g. hunting and fishing), and the rise of out-of-staters caused several downsides, you might see it differently. Some of these downsides include (among other things) the loss of good land to hunt on because of the rise of pay hunting, the extra expense of managing resources brought on by additional hunters, and the rise of folks that probably shouldn't be hunting in the first place.

I believe in a happy median, but I also feel for the locals also. A lot of the good land is being bought up by out-of-staters with big money and then posted. North Dakota does a better job than most states providing CRP land, but there has been a loss of good hunting land. If you are a good guy and good sportsman who treats the locals with respect, then I think most are enthused that you'd want to hunt such great hunting land.

GBRulz
09-06-2006, 05:32 PM
duck hunting is a form of target shooting where the hunter is too damn lazy to get off his ass and pick up the duck himself, hence the poor dog has to do it :cry:

oregonpackfan
09-06-2006, 09:14 PM
I grew up duck hunting with my Dad. It was a great father-son activity back in Wisconsin.

Now that I'm older and in a different part of the country, the only Duck-hunting I do is cheering on the Oregon State Beavers when they play the Oregon Ducks for the annual Civil War game!

OPF

woodbuck27
09-14-2006, 01:22 PM
A Wisconsin farmer caught an Illinois hunter walking out of one of his fields with a pair of ducks, even though the land had been clearly posted No Trespassing.

The farmer offered to forego calling the game warden if the citizen of Illinois would enter into a contest of strength and will. Wishing to avoid legal entanglements the hunter agreed.

The farmer explained that they would each kick the other in the nuts as hard as possible until one side gave up. The winner could keep the ducks. As landowner and the wronged party, the farmer stipulated that he should go first. The hunter agreed and braced hinself to receive the first blow.

Then, with a mighty swing of his leg, the farmer smashed his boot into the hunter's gonads.

Eyes watering, the hunter gasped that he needed a moment before taking his turn.

"Oh, never mind," said the farmer. "Go ahead and keep the ducks. You win."

Now I wish I had that joke for everytime some hunting trespasser was caught on my property in New Brunswick.

Then again, I don't want to be friendly and tell the scumbag your joke.

I'll simplify...just kick him in the sack. :twisted:

V.solid joke though Swede.

hurleyfan
09-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Hey there Blue,
Are you still allowed to use lead shot out there? Or had to change to the much more expensive steel shot?

Noodle
09-18-2006, 11:23 PM
Hey there Blue,
Are you still allowed to use lead shot out there? Or had to change to the much more expensive steel shot?

I don't think you can use lead anywhere in the country for waterfowl. The FWS banned it nation-wide in the early 90s. Once you know how lead can really screw up the birds, most duck hunters are glad to pay the few extra bucks for steel or the other lead replacements.