PDA

View Full Version : Rollins update?

Upnorth
01-04-2017, 09:42 AM
So far I have not found much of an update on his injury. I assume he is done for the year, any one have anything on his future?

hoosier
01-04-2017, 09:46 AM
The update is that there is no update. Still undergoing testing. Because he's a Packer, that probably means they are doing MRIs to rule out spinal stenosis.

Patler
01-04-2017, 10:07 AM
I saw one mention that he was back in GB on Monday, walked into their facilities either that afternoon or yesterday, and "looked" normal to those who saw him. That is good news as far as his personal life going forward, but there was no update on his football future, short term or long term.

pbmax
01-04-2017, 10:49 AM
Dorleant was still somewhat reliant on crutches in his trip through the locker room.

M3 said Rollins still had testing to go through.

gbgary
01-04-2017, 10:50 AM
yeah...mm seemed very positive about things but said there were a couple of tests that still needed to be done.

mm: “Everything is progressing in a positive manner,” Packers coach Mike McCarthy said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com. “[Rollins] just walked through the locker room a little while ago. But we still have some things we have to test, but everything so far is going very well.”

Fritz
01-04-2017, 03:33 PM
I am just a dumb fan, but I'd almost rather see Dorleant back for this week's game. He has less game experience, but Rollins just seemed to go through the motions - he seems to lack confidence right now. Maybe Dorleant could be the rookie who comes out of nowhere to save his team. Or not.

Bossman641
01-04-2017, 05:30 PM
Saw an update that Rollins is in the concussion protocol.

QBME
01-04-2017, 05:33 PM
Saw an update that Rollins is in the concussion protocol.

NFL...selling the drama??

esoxx
01-04-2017, 05:37 PM
I am just a dumb fan, but I'd almost rather see Dorleant back for this week's game. He has less game experience, but Rollins just seemed to go through the motions - he seems to lack confidence right now. Maybe Dorleant could be the rookie who comes out of nowhere to save his team. Or not.

Smell a Fuckdoggle brewing.

Maxie the Taxi
01-04-2017, 05:47 PM
Smell a Fuckdoggle brewing.The Fuckdoggle would have to be Josh Hawkins or Herb Waters. Dorleant is on IR.

Tony Oday
01-04-2017, 08:55 PM
Lowry will win the Fuckdoogle.

call_me_ishmael
01-04-2017, 09:27 PM
Prediction: He ends up playing this week.

Fritz
01-05-2017, 05:50 AM
To have Rollins back, at least as some slot depth, would be almost like a luxury at this point, even though, in my opinion, the dude wasn't playing very well before he got hurt.

This speaks to the lack of depth back there, after Shields went down. I don't know if it's injuries or the second-year jinx, but Rollins and Randall have both had very disappointing years.

mission
01-05-2017, 07:38 AM
What happened to Hawkins? He was a preseason darling and now can't even sniff the active roster on a team with horrible corners.

Pugger
01-05-2017, 07:43 AM

I think we keep forgetting how green Rollins is compared to other second year corners. He only played one season of football in college.

vince
01-05-2017, 07:47 AM
Dorleant has been IR'd and former WR Herb Waters has been promoted from the PS.

vince
01-05-2017, 08:18 AM
What happened to Hawkins? He was a preseason darling and now can't even sniff the active roster on a team with horrible corners.
He's a project with potential mission, and a special teams liability. My guess is we'll see what kind of development he's made from being a raw D2 UDFA this week. The leaky corner situation is noted. Hopefully he's not a flash flood any more like he showed in limited action in the first Detroit game early in the year.

As a gunner, he tried to bat a punt out of the end zone while he was standing 3 yards in it. To this point, raw is probably too generous.

Maybe that raw ability will show up though. He can fly but can he cover NFL receivers yet? One thing's for sure, he'll be tested (hopefully not abused) if he sees the field outside.

call_me_ishmael
01-05-2017, 08:27 AM
I don't know if it's injuries or the second-year jinx, but Rollins and Randall have both had very disappointing years.

Agreed. Randall hasn't really looked like the same confident player and exceptional athlete. Having him cover a #2 instead of a #1 clearly made a huge difference.

Maxie the Taxi
01-05-2017, 09:00 AM
As a gunner, he tried to bat a punt out of the end zone while he was standing 3 yards in it. To this point, raw is probably too generous. Maybe that raw ability will show up though. He can fly but can he cover NFL receivers yet? Assuming Rollins can't play and Randall isn't 100%, I'd put Gunter on Beckham and let Hawkins and Waters play man on whoever when they're in the game. Then, I'd send however many it takes to get to Manning. If we play zone and give Manning time to throw, well...not good.

call_me_ishmael
01-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Gunter is slow and Beckam is a speedster so I would do that but shadow him hardcore with a man on top.

mission
01-05-2017, 09:41 AM
He's a project with potential mission, and a special teams liability. My guess is we'll see what kind of development he's made from being a raw D2 UDFA this week. The leaky corner situation is noted. Hopefully he's not a flash flood any more like he showed in limited action in the first Detroit game early in the year.

As a gunner, he tried to bat a punt out of the end zone while he was standing 3 yards in it. To this point, raw is probably too generous.

Maybe that raw ability will show up though. He can fly but can he cover NFL receivers yet? One thing's for sure, he'll be tested (hopefully not abused) if he sees the field outside.

Interesting. I don't have any recollection of him even being active this year, so I guess he got his shot and didn't do too well.
I do hope your guess is right even if it's just for a matter of having enough bodies at an important position against the Giants.

Patler
01-05-2017, 10:00 AM
This has been a lost year for both Randall and Rollins. Hopefully they bounce back next year.

MM has said a couple times the last few weeks that it is a testament to Randall's toughness that he has even played. MM even acknowledged once that he maybe should have been held out. Every week he seems to add something new to his list of injuries, and even the earlier ones are not yet healed, apparently.

As for Rollins, he seems to be over his injuries, but sure isn't playing well, or at least not consistently well. An odd thing I have noticed from him. In each of the last three games he had plays going down the sideline, and seemed to be in somewhat decent position to make a play on the ball. He seemed to turn back and see the ball. In each case he jumped to bat the ball, but was very much early and the receivers made easy catches as he came down before the ball got to the receiver. His timing was very much off on each play. Kind of like a better expecting a fastball, and being fooled by a change-up.

Maxie the Taxi
01-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Gunter is slow and Beckam is a speedster so I would do that but shadow him hardcore with a man on top.Granted, but Gunter is also very physical, which tends to frustrate Beckham. He'll be able to get away with more in the post season. Plus, had pretty good luck against Beckham earlier this year.

But the safeties have to help over the top, that's for sure. I'm hoping we can pressure Manning enough so that he can't throw downfield with much accuracy.

Maxie the Taxi
01-05-2017, 10:15 AM
Interesting. I don't have any recollection of him even being active this year, so I guess he got his shot and didn't do too well.
I do hope your guess is right even if it's just for a matter of having enough bodies at an important position against the Giants.Hawkins played quite a bit in the preseason.

Patler
01-05-2017, 11:18 AM
Hawkins played quite a bit in the preseason.

This article summarizes why we haven't seen much from him after some playing time early, and also why the Packers are holding on to him. Lots of potential, but an awful lot yet to learn. Hopefully he has learned some this season, while not playing.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2016/10/19/hawkins-eager-play-after-early-mistake/92412478/

The article might bring back the memory of the ugly 70 yard TD he was responsible for when he assumed the guy would go out of bounds and gave up on the play.

Maxie the Taxi
01-05-2017, 12:07 PM
I'm sure Hawkins and Waters are good kids. However, IMO putting them out there in the playoffs amounts to malpractice. The article just reinforces my impression that our secondary was in real trouble after Shields went down. Maybe if a free agent wasn't available, TT should have explored a trade for a vet. I know hindsight is 20/20 but we're in a pickle now and I'm not sure it couldn't have been planned for.

Zool
01-05-2017, 12:35 PM
I'm sure Hawkins and Waters are good kids. However, IMO putting them out there in the playoffs amounts to malpractice. The article just reinforces my impression that our secondary was in real trouble after Shields went down. Maybe if a free agent wasn't available, TT should have explored a trade for a vet. I know hindsight is 20/20 but we're in a pickle now and I'm not sure it couldn't have been planned for.

I don't think anyone could have predicted the regression by Randall and Rollins. Those 2 plus Shields should have yielded a pretty decent nickle group. Having Gunter as the primary backup made the group look pretty rock solid.

But wow was that wrong.

RashanGary
01-05-2017, 12:43 PM
Rollins has looked really bad without flashes of good. Randall looked really good for 3/4 of a game. Since then he's been injured.

I have hope for Randall being a good corner. Rollins might be a #3. He's looked better in the slot. If Randall can somehow get halfway healthy and Gunter plays well maybe we can get through this thing and win a sb.

Otherwise we're in the market for a #1 corner next year.

Zool
01-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Rollins has looked really bad without flashes of good. Randall looked really good for 3/4 of a game. Since then he's been injured.

I have hope for Randall being a good corner. Rollins might be a #3. He's looked better in the slot. If Randall can somehow get halfway healthy and Gunter plays well maybe we can get through this thing and win a sb.

Otherwise we're in the market for a #1 corner next year.

And a #2 or #3 depending on Gunter's development.

vince
01-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Teams don't give up good corners, and the Vikings are the desperate team that mortgaged their future for the present. We see how that worked out. There are no guarantees as other injuries just added to their desperation and their failed all-in attempt set them further back.

I think they're no worse off with Hyde and Brice filling in. It's not ideal but Hyde probably gives them everything (and more) that any guy off the street or reasonable acquisition would.

Coach em up and make it work.

RashanGary
01-05-2017, 12:48 PM
And a #2 or #3 depending on Gunter's development.

I think Randall is good. Had tough injury luck this year. Gunter is a solid nickle/dime piece.

Maxie the Taxi
01-05-2017, 01:00 PM
Coach em up and make it work.I wouldn't expect to hear you say anything else. :-)

Zool
01-05-2017, 02:38 PM
I think Randall is good. Had tough injury luck this year. Gunter is a solid nickle/dime piece.

I'm not sold on Randall yet. He's really really bad this year. PFF had him at 110QBR against for the season. Shields could be calling it a career. Gunter is playing better than the rest of the CBs right now. Maybe he's Al Harris 2.0? Not super fast, but big and strong?

vince
01-05-2017, 03:02 PM
It's a pipe dream but I'd love to eliminate Shields' presumably retiring contract, along with Peppers' and sign Stephon Gilmore (http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/3/14145388/buffalo-bills-stephon-gilmore-free-agent-contract) who's 26, an impending free agent (unless Buffalo franchises him) and at the top of his game.

Restructure and extend Rodgers too.

gbgary
01-05-2017, 03:14 PM
everyone practiced, to some level, today except Rollins.

Carolina_Packer
01-05-2017, 04:01 PM
This has been a lost year for both Randall and Rollins. Hopefully they bounce back next year.

MM has said a couple times the last few weeks that it is a testament to Randall's toughness that he has even played. MM even acknowledged once that he maybe should have been held out. Every week he seems to add something new to his list of injuries, and even the earlier ones are not yet healed, apparently.

As for Rollins, he seems to be over his injuries, but sure isn't playing well, or at least not consistently well. An odd thing I have noticed from him. In each of the last three games he had plays going down the sideline, and seemed to be in somewhat decent position to make a play on the ball. He seemed to turn back and see the ball. In each case he jumped to bat the ball, but was very much early and the receivers made easy catches as he came down before the ball got to the receiver. His timing was very much off on each play. Kind of like a better expecting a fastball, and being fooled by a change-up.

It's time for the smart people in the room both on the owners and players union side to come up with a way to cover roster spots for guys who need to be held out, but not put on IR. That would address a player safety issue as well. MLB has the disabled list. I know that the only "call up" would be a practice squad player, or perhaps integrating a guy who was on PUP working his way back.

Bottom line, it sucks to have to hold roster spots for guys who are banged up, may try to gut it out, but ultimately might prove a liability even if they can get on the field. Expand the practice squad roster, or allow x number of guys who have not accrued but so much service time to be on a reserve roster that pays more than the practice squad and could allow a team to start stashing players at a certain position if an injury plague hits. Those reserve players could have options just like MLB players, and once you are up and down so many times from the reserve roster to active roster back to the reserve, teams would have to make a permanent active roster decision about that player, or risk having that player signed by another team. That would make the reserve roster a "warm spare" vs. the rest of the practice squad being more of a "cold spare".

Carolina_Packer
01-05-2017, 04:03 PM

It's time for the smart people in the room both on the owners and players union side to come up with a way to cover roster spots for guys who need to be held out, but not put on IR. That would address a player safety issue as well. MLB has the disabled list. I know that the only "call up" would be a practice squad player, or perhaps integrating a guy who was on PUP working his way back.

Bottom line, it sucks to have to hold roster spots for guys who are banged up, and may try to gut it out, but ultimately might prove a liability even if they can get on the field. Expand the practice squad roster, or allow x number of guys who have not accrued but so much service time to be on a reserve roster that pays more than the practice squad and could allow a team to start stashing players at a certain position if an injury plague hits. Those reserve players could have options just like MLB players, and once you are up and down so many times from the reserve roster to active roster back to the reserve, teams would have to make a permanent active roster decision about that player, or risk having that player signed by another team. That would make the reserve roster a "warm spare" vs. the rest of the practice squad being more of a "cold spare".

pbmax
01-05-2017, 04:21 PM
Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 1h1 hour ago
#Packers CB Makinton Dorleant said he tore the ACL in his right knee against the Lions and will have surgery in the near future.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h2 hours ago
I wondered why the #Packers activated a CB (now on IR) instead of RB Eddie Lacy earlier. Answer: Lacy would not have been ready this season

THAT IS A GOOD ANSWER, BUT NOT THE ONLY ONE IAN

pbmax
01-05-2017, 04:58 PM
An oral history of the 2007 NFC Championship Game: http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/05/packers-giants-2007-nfc-championship-game-oral-history

I made it to halftime. Ryan Grant may have thrown Favre under the frozen bus.

woodbuck27
01-07-2017, 08:50 AM
Assuming Rollins can't play and Randall isn't 100%, I'd put Gunter on Beckham and let Hawkins and Waters play man on whoever when they're in the game. Then, I'd send however many it takes to get to Manning. If we play zone and give Manning time to throw, well...not good.

Gunter on Beckham`... You could cover Beckham as well.

pbmax
01-07-2017, 09:02 AM
Gunter on Beckham`... You could cover Beckham as well.

Gunter had perhaps his best game of the season in the Packers’ Oct. 9 meeting with the Giants, when he spent much of the game matched up with Giants No. 1 receiver Odell Beckham Jr. Although Beckham finished with five receptions for 56 yards and a touchdown, none of those catches came against Gunter. The Packers won 23-16 and the next week, Beckham caught eight passes for 222 yards and two touchdowns in a 27-23 win over Baltimore.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-gunter-s-ascension-not-a-surprise-to-his-coaches/article_294e2d1f-bcd0-52de-ac0f-07183644194c.html

Fritz
01-07-2017, 09:04 AM
We can only conclude from Woody's post, then, that Maxie is a helluva cover corner.

pbmax
01-07-2017, 09:22 AM
We can only conclude from Woody's post, then, that Maxie is a helluva cover corner.

He once held Pat Richter without a catch in an old East versus West High school football game in Madison in the fall of 1958.

http://host.madison.com/sports/high-school/in-a-class-by-himself-five-decades-later-pat-richter/article_b55e7126-034c-11e0-8c14-001cc4c03286.html

Maxie the Taxi
01-07-2017, 09:47 AM
I played RB in High School...failed. Joined a touch football league and played Center on offense and LB on defense. I tried covering this WR once from a Catholic HS varsity team. He blew by me so fast my knickers rolled up.:sad:

vince
01-07-2017, 09:54 AM
:-)
Max McGhee obviously.

woodbuck27
01-07-2017, 10:03 AM
http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-gunter-s-ascension-not-a-surprise-to-his-coaches/article_294e2d1f-bcd0-52de-ac0f-07183644194c.html

That was then...it is all about what he (Gunter) will do today and having to stop Odell Beckham is a heavy load.

MM better have (Gunther) and....that entire secondary fired up because this is Eli Manning and his WR's and ...this is the Playoffs. Eli normally takes it to a whole new level come playoff time. Odell Beckham will be dangerous on every offensive snap.

pbmax
01-07-2017, 01:28 PM
That was then...it is all about what he (Gunter) will do today and having to stop Odell Beckham is a heavy load.

MM better have (Gunther) and....that entire secondary fired up because this is Eli Manning and his WR's and ...this is the Playoffs. Eli normally takes it to a whole new level come playoff time. Odell Beckham will be dangerous on every offensive snap.

Twice Eli has taken it to a whole new level. Or more, accurately, once he took it to a whole new level and once his defense carried him to a Championship.

In his other playoff years, he is 0-3. He has missed the playoffs in 5 years.

vince
01-07-2017, 01:43 PM
Twice Eli has taken it to a whole new level. Or more, accurately, once he took it to a whole new level and once his defense carried him to a Championship.

In his other playoff years, he is 0-3. He has missed the playoffs in 5 years.Yup and here are some more damning facts (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/game-previews/2017/nfc-wild-card-playoff-preview-2017) that show he's just not the same QB he was in his prime anymore.

The problems with the Giants offense start with the decline of quarterback Eli Manning. Manning is 36 years old now. Almost all veteran quarterbacks have started to decline by that age. Just because Manning's brother didn't start to decline until the middle of his age-38 season doesn't mean that Eli will last that long as well. Manning ranked in the top ten for passing DYAR every year from 2009 to 2012, but he hasn't returned to the top ten since. He ranked 18th last year and 20th this year. Manning's accuracy was notably off, and he was sailing passes over receivers' heads to an extent unmatched since his early days with Plaxico Burress. Manning's total of 15 interceptions actually understates this year's accuracy problems.
He's a bottom-half QB now, and while PB you've already said a lot of bad QB's have torn up GB's D, while the league's elite QB's are eclipsing 5 and even 10-1 TD/INT ratios, since 2013, his is 1.5-1.