PDA

View Full Version : Cost of stupidity? $12,154.

Patler
01-07-2017, 07:39 AM
Davante Adams was fined $12,154 for his dunk over the crossbar after his TD.

I have to admit, that act of stupidity really bothered me. I saw it coming, and said, "Don't do it!" even before he left his feet. This was a big game. He is not a rookie, or a newbie to playing or scoring. With the 15 yard penalty, he could have been responsible for going a long way to negating the advantage obtained from his TD. I hope he bought Mason Crosby a nice dinner for the near perfect kickoff that followed, and the coverage team for holding the Lions to the 29 yard line.

Fritz
01-07-2017, 08:10 AM

I have to admit, that act of stupidity really bothered me. I saw it coming, and said, "Don't do it!" even before he left his feet. This was a big game. He is not a rookie, or a newbie to playing or scoring. With the 15 yard penalty, he could have been responsible for going a long way to negating the advantage obtained from his TD. I hope he bought Mason Crosby a nice dinner for the near perfect kickoff that followed, and the coverage team for holding the Lions to the 29 yard line.

I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, I agree completely. Those dumb moves can cost a team a game. I remember several years ago, the Packers had just stopped the Forty-Niners (I think) late in a playoff game on a key third down in Green Bay territory, when a Packer defensive lineman - I can't remember who - blatantly hit the runner or receiver who was five yards out of bounds. Unsportsmanlike conduct, first down, Niners score a touchdown, win playoff game.

On the other hand, while I don't like the self-aggrandizing showing off prevalent in the early 2000's, I did not know you couldn't even dunk the football in joy.

Tightrope to walk on this stuff. But yes,if you know it's not allowed, don't do it, idiot.

texaspackerbacker
01-07-2017, 08:34 AM
I don't know exactly how much Davante makes a year but let's say it's about $2.5 million. That means the fine hits him about the same as a $243 fine hits some Good Normal American making $50,000 a year. Being approximately in that situation a few times, I'd say it's not financially fatal but it is damn annoying. Hell yeah, he shouldn't have done it - more because of the 15 yard penalty when we hadn't quite put away the game. I would stop short of calling it "self-aggrandizing" though. It was more like exuberance for the team, I think.

woodbuck27
01-07-2017, 08:39 AM
He is a Professional Football Player and should give up any delusion of being a Pro Basketball Player.

There is no accounting for what over emotion can do against a man.

Fritz
01-07-2017, 09:07 AM
I don't know exactly how much Davante makes a year but let's say it's about $2.5 million. That means the fine hits him about the same as a $243 fine hits some Good Normal American making $50,000 a year. Being approximately in that situation a few times, I'd say it's not financially fatal but it is damn annoying. Hell yeah, he shouldn't have done it - more because of the 15 yard penalty when we hadn't quite put away the game. I would stop short of calling it "self-aggrandizing" though. It was more like exuberance for the team, I think.

I agree, Tex. I meant the general self-aggrandizing stuff - pretending to pull a cell phone out and call your mom, preening and pointing to yourself. I should have made clear that I did not think Adams's move was in that category.

KYPack
01-07-2017, 09:13 AM
The goal post dunk has been illegal since Jimmy Graham (then Saint) bent the crossbar in a game vs the Falcons in '14. That brought out the boys with the level and the ladders to fix things up. Then it mustered the rules geeks to render the move illegal that off-season. If it stops a game, yeah, make it a penalty and fine the fool that did it.

Fritz
01-07-2017, 09:21 AM
You can see that I don't keep up on much of this NFL nonsense any more.

KY, the problem with your solution to the Graham incident is that it's simple and logical, and this is the NFL we're talking about here.

pbmax
01-07-2017, 09:23 AM
Clearly Mike McCarthy has his team on too high an emotional level when they get ready to play the game.

Maxie the Taxi
01-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Lombardi is rolling over in his grave reading this thread.

Patler
01-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Clearly Mike McCarthy has his team on too high an emotional level when they get ready to play the game.

Might be true for the first half against the Lions. They had a lot of penalties that half, some that seemed to be lack of concentration, focus.

Fritz
01-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Lombardi is a damn talented corpse.

Maxie the Taxi
01-07-2017, 09:34 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2011/02/02/584-saint-vince-feb2.jpg

Patler
01-07-2017, 09:37 AM
On the other hand, while I don't like the self-aggrandizing showing off prevalent in the early 2000's, I did not know you couldn't even dunk the football in joy.

Sure, you didn't know, but a man who spends his days trying to score touchdowns in the NFL should know what types of things the rules allow and what they don't allow. To me, not knowing it would bring a 15 yard penalty is just as bad as doing it.

woodbuck27
01-07-2017, 09:38 AM

http://allgbp.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Mike+McCarthy+2011+NFC+Championship+Green+foKK-zcQYqOl.jpg

For sure ... as MM is always Jacked !

Maxie the Taxi
01-07-2017, 09:42 AM
^^^He looks meaner with the beard. lol

vince
01-07-2017, 10:02 AM

Agree 100%. I think my exact words were, "Davante you #$%^&^ idiot. That better not come back to cost 'em."

Davante's inconsistencies are mental. He seems to need that kind of outward cockiness to keep his edge. Hopefully he'll grow out of it.

KYPack
01-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Lombardi is rolling over in his grave reading this thread.

Lombardi wouldn't have had to say a word.

Can you imagine running back to the sidelines and having to face an irate Ray Nitschke after doing some stupid showboat shit like that?

Maxie the Taxi
01-07-2017, 10:16 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/1c/46/16/1c4616b69b672a4c65eefdb8bcd8805e.jpg

Tony Oday
01-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Should have benched him a series too.

Fritz
01-07-2017, 10:35 AM
Might be true for the first half against the Lions. They had a lot of penalties that half, some that seemed to be lack of concentration, focus.

That might've been the crowed noise. Believe me when I tell you that you can't think when it's that loud.

Maxie the Taxi
01-07-2017, 10:43 AM
That might've been the crowed noise. Believe me when I tell you that you can't think when it's that loud.Ain't that the truth. I was at the Packer/Cowboys playoff game a few years back. The crowd was so loud the pain in my ears was palpable, like Ella Fitzgerald shattering a wine glass.

gbgary
01-07-2017, 11:12 AM
Should have benched him a series too.

maybe in a game that didn't mean as much but not that one. when everything is on the line for the team i think you blow off individual teaching moments. have a quick word, or a look, and save the teaching moment for later.

Fritz
01-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Ah, one series. That sends a message that you're serious about this stuff. And you can live without Davante for one series.

gbgary
01-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Ah, one series. That sends a message that you're serious about this stuff. And you can live without Davante for one series.

what are you calling a series? 3 downs or 1 possession? even just 3 downs seems risky to me in a critical game. situational awareness...even if adams didn't show it the coach should.

pbmax
01-07-2017, 01:30 PM
The goal post dunk has been illegal since Jimmy Graham (then Saint) bent the crossbar in a game vs the Falcons in '14. That brought out the boys with the level and the ladders to fix things up. Then it mustered the rules geeks to render the move illegal that off-season. If it stops a game, yeah, make it a penalty and fine the fool that did it.

If you bend it away from true you have to fix it. Every five minutes its not fixed costs your team 3 points.

You have a crack surveying team from a local engineering firm (local jobs!) with plumb lines, ladder and a winch. Its up to the player to solve it.

After 15 minutes, the stadium staff and the crack surveying guys fix it and it costs you team 10 more points.

This will increase general interest in engineering and in performing a touchless dunk.

Maxie the Taxi
01-07-2017, 01:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luAy_yYlNIY

George Cumby
01-07-2017, 03:10 PM
I get the damaged goal post thing but gawddamn, dude scored a touch down, let him dunk the fucking ball as long as the go isn't screwed up.

It's not that self aggrandizing compared to the Salvation Army schtick. I don't see it as being much different than a lambeau leap

vince
01-07-2017, 03:19 PM
I get the damaged goal post thing but gawddamn, dude scored a touch down, let him dunk the fucking ball as long as the go isn't screwed up.

It's not that self aggrandizing compared to the Salvation Army schtick. I don't see it as being much different than a lambeau leap
The obvious difference is it sets your defense back significantly on the next series in a huge game. Fortunately, as Patler noted, they overcame it but I'm guessing the odds of scoring when teams have a 15-yard advantage to start go up significantly.

George Cumby
01-07-2017, 03:55 PM
My point being I don't think dunking the ball merits a flag. More NFL stupidity.

vince
01-07-2017, 04:37 PM
Oh sorry about that George.:oops:

In that case I agree with you. I think a lot of the celebrations got way out of hand, particularly when guys started pulling props out of their unis or stashing them in the goalpost padding, but I do agree that the league took it too far in the other direction.

George Cumby
01-08-2017, 05:58 AM
NP, Vinny.

I typed my initial response on my phone and didn't articulate myself very well.

Patler
01-08-2017, 07:50 AM
My point being I don't think dunking the ball merits a flag. More NFL stupidity.

I agree, it isn't a big deal and shouldn't be a penalty. But, it is a penalty, and I don't give an experienced NFL WR much slack for not knowing that it is. It is an act that has been specifically stated to be a penalty.

Maxie the Taxi
01-09-2017, 12:15 PM
From Tom Brown, Packer S in Super Bowl I:

"I’m a little concerned about the way these guys are catching touchdown passes and dancing in the end zone," Brown said, apropos of nothing. "Give the ball back to the referee like you’ve done it before. Although I do like that Cam Newton gives the ball to a little kid. That’s pretty neat, and that’ll stay with that kid forever. So that’s OK, but not the dancing and doing all these kind of gyrations. Lombardi would go crazy.