PDA

View Full Version : From today's Wolfleys column

Homer Jay
09-06-2006, 02:07 PM
To his liking
Speaking of Mariucci, he has interviewed a player he used to coach, Packers quarterback Brett Favre, and the interview will air at 8:30 tonight on The NFL Network.

Mariucci is a studio analyst for the NFL Network.

Mariucci, who coached Favre in Green Bay, asks Favre if the "biggest misconception" about him is that he came back to play because of the money.

"Look, they were going to pay me $10 million back in January," Favre said. "I would have never gone through this whole process (if money was the key issue)."

Favre said he wanted to be liked by others, both fans and teammates alike.

"It's always been important to me how people perceive you and to say differently I would be lying," Favre said. "We're all human because we all want people to say good things about us.

"You know, when Sterling (Sharpe) held out from us for one game, it was disappointing. It made me mad because he was really our whole team and that's always stuck with me. And over time we've had some situations with a couple of guys and I've spoke out about it - caught some grief - but I felt I needed to do that. Before then and since then I wanted my teammates to look at me like I've looked at some of the guys I've played with."

Going to market
Speaking of Favre, the Packers quarterback finished fifth in a poll to determine the "most marketable player in the NFL."

A total of 56 sports marketing and media executives were polled by Sports Business Daily.

Quarterback Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts finished first, with 29 execs voting him first, seven voting him second and 17 third. Every voter was asked for three names in 1-2-3 order.

Finishing second was quarterback Tom Brady of the New England Patriots, followed by rookie running back Reggie Bush of the New Orleans Saints, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger of the Pittsburgh Steelers and then Favre.