PDA

View Full Version : Ed Werder Betting Against Falcons

pbmax
01-08-2017, 08:33 AM
At the end of their interview, Werder told Sherman that he’d see him in two weeks at the NFC Championship Game. That, of course, will only happen if the Seahawks beat the Falcons next week, and some Falcons fans spoke out on social media, saying that Werder was acting as a cheerleader for Sherman’s team and overlooking their opponents.

Werder, after hearing from Falcons fans, apologized.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/08/ed-werder-apologizes-for-comment-to-sherman-overlooking-falcons/

“Being professional, fair and objective important to me. If I owe Falcons an apology for having some fun with Richard Sherman, they have it,” Werder wrote on Twitter. “Intended point to Richard Sherman was I’m covering Cowboys playoff game next week so whether I cover Seahawks again depends on them winning.”

Its not much of an apology, but i am not sure its much of an insult since Werder will not actually be at Sherman's game next week.

vince
01-08-2017, 08:48 AM
Ever since FavreGate, I've always thought Werder was a hack who'll puppet for anyone that can get him in front of the camera.

Zool
01-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Werder isn't awesome, but to take a playful comment as an insult is really digging deep to find some disrespect.

pbmax
01-08-2017, 09:27 AM
Other than sideline reporter, the beat guy job for ESPN has to be one of the toughest jobs. You aren't in town (unless its Dallas for Werder or Philly for SalPal) enough to get deep like the newspaper beat guys do and so you need to develop player, agent and national sources to substitute.

You then need to somehow balance this limited access with authority and story making/telling.

Even Sal Pal got burned by this a while ago, insisting on things he actually didn't, or couldn't, know.

Sherman's not helping by putting him in a press spokesman role. I don't blame Sherman, I get mad at the press and they aren't even covering me.

But this is pretty lightweight stuff regardless.