PDA

View Full Version : winners and participants

Harlan Huckleby
01-08-2017, 07:13 PM
In a win this great, everybody gets at least a participation ribbon.

winners:
Arod
Jake Ryan
participants:
Geronimo was quiet

esoxx
01-08-2017, 07:16 PM
Winners:
Rodgers
Cobb
Adams
Clay
Peppers
Ryan

Participant:
Stubby

King Friday
01-08-2017, 09:03 PM
Showhorses:
Rodgers
Cobb
Cook
all healthy DBs

Made noise when it mattered:
Matthews
Michael
Peppers
Adams

Farted loudly and tried to walk away as if nothing happened:
McCarthy

smuggler
01-08-2017, 09:09 PM
"all healthy DBs" if by that you mean "the DBs that played" because other than perhaps Gunter, none of those dudes are healthy. Makes me more pissed that Randall came out of the end zone after his pick.

vince
01-08-2017, 09:11 PM
I'd put Adams in the showhorse category myself. Huge game for him and some really big tough catches.

This game was nip and tuck for a long time... and then boom. What an explosion.

Maxie the Taxi
01-08-2017, 09:16 PM
That play by the Claymaker blew my mind. A thing of beauty.

RashanGary
01-08-2017, 09:22 PM
Really fun game. We need to get through dallas. Then we can start getting our hopes up!!!

KYPack
01-08-2017, 09:23 PM
Not much of winner, but a gritty participant ...Monty. He ran out of the backfield, played end on the punt return team, ran a couple of pass routes. He got rolled up on and had to leave the game, but returned to take more snaps as a RB. That showed me something. He understands what it means to be a Packer.

Freak Out
01-08-2017, 09:29 PM
I thought Monty was done as well.....dude showed some grit there.

Maxie the Taxi
01-08-2017, 09:30 PM
Yup, I was hoping they would throw to him more...especially in the first quarter.

texaspackerbacker
01-08-2017, 09:38 PM
I thought Monty was done as well.....dude showed some grit there.

His right leg looked really weirdly bent as he walked off. I was really thankful to see him come back.

Maxie the Taxi
01-08-2017, 09:41 PM
I predicted Monty would score 18 points today. I was right about the points. I just had the wrong guy. Cobb played like a champ. He was back to being a real third down machine too.

texaspackerbacker
01-08-2017, 09:46 PM
Other than the obvious that have already been mentioned, I'll call Guion a winner - he really seemed to play with energy. Also, Hyde really makes the best of the athletic ability he has. I'll call Capers a winner also, as his defense(s) shut down - for the most part - a reasonably talented Giant offense. Give the special teams some credit too. Schum was way better than usual; Crosby was money, as usual, and the return game was way better than the Packers usually do.

Harlan Huckleby
01-08-2017, 09:54 PM
winner: offensive line pass blocking
non-participant: offensive line run blocking

Maybe this has somewhat to do with the skills of the Giants D line, but I've never seen an offensive line be so dominant in one phase of the game, and so hapless in another.

I thought the little engine that could, Chrissy Michaels, ran hard and smart. I think you haters (you know who you are) read that he is a dope and a-hole, so that's what you see.

Harlan Huckleby
01-08-2017, 09:59 PM
I predicted Monty would score 18 points today. I was right about the points. I just had the wrong guy.

ya, ya, they all look alike to you.

me, I'm constantly getting Janis and Jordy confused

vince
01-08-2017, 10:00 PM
That play by the Claymaker blew my mind. A thing of beauty.Absolutely! He blew up that fool casually picking up the ball. Saved a lot of grief for Joe Thomas who was standing there with his head up his ass.

Tony Oday
01-08-2017, 10:04 PM
The Giants for laying a huge egg and not putting the Packers away early like Dallas will.

Carolina_Packer
01-08-2017, 10:07 PM
I kind of thought that A-Rod would deke the Giants D on the 4th and inches and bootleg. He looked like he could have easily broken contain, especially if he sold the hand-off to Monty. That play they ran had no shot. A-Rod falling forward had a better chance.

Harlan Huckleby
01-08-2017, 10:09 PM
Also, Hyde really makes the best of the athletic ability he has.

Well OK, but I'll take half of Janis's athletic ability on punt returns. Hyde ain't bad, but he has as many flubs as Janis, and Janis has the burners.

King Friday
01-08-2017, 10:09 PM
The Giants for laying a huge egg and not putting the Packers away early like Dallas will.

So you think the Dallas defense is going to be able to stop Rodgers?

Harlan Huckleby
01-08-2017, 10:11 PM
I think Tony is trying to trick the football gods by throwing out these predictions of doom. It worked today, so lets not mess with a winning formula.

RashanGary
01-08-2017, 10:35 PM
I thought the little engine that could, Chrissy Michaels, ran hard and smart. I think you haters (you know who you are) read that he is a dope and a-hole, so that's what you see.

He's got burst and speed and even though he looks like a mindless spaz, he seems to find himself in the right spot a lot. He also never seems to take a full shot. He looks smallish, but avoids the hard contact somehow.

He's played well, but still has a quirky spazzy energy that scares me. I have no good reason for thinking this way, so I can't defend it other than to say, he seems spazzy.

King Friday
01-08-2017, 10:43 PM
He's got burst and speed and even though he looks like a mindless spaz, he seems to find himself in the right spot a lot. He also never seems to take a full shot. He looks smallish, but avoids the hard contact somehow.

He's played well, but still has a quirky spazzy energy that scares me.

I think his style of running works well against a defense like the Giants. I don't think you can play the game of waiting for blocks to develop against an aggressive defense like NY. You have to just run hard into the designed hole or on the cutback and hope to hit a crease. That is also how Lacy usually runs...albeit much more slowly than Michael, but also with the ability to somewhat create his own hole. However, Lacy also had success against the Giants. Monty's patience was not rewarded against the Giants.

Harlan Huckleby
01-08-2017, 10:46 PM
I think his style of running works well against a defense like the Giants. I don't think you can play the game of waiting for blocks to develop against an aggressive defense like NY.

Ya, good point. That's sorta what I was saying in the game thread, but with more grunts and arm waving. Monty was struggling somewhat because of the defensive line penetration. If you got no blocking, you just got to burst through as best you can. Rip also hesitated and got stuffed a couple times.

RashanGary
01-08-2017, 10:57 PM
I think his style of running works well against a defense like the Giants. I don't think you can play the game of waiting for blocks to develop against an aggressive defense like NY. You have to just run hard into the designed hole or on the cutback and hope to hit a crease. That is also how Lacy usually runs...albeit much more slowly than Michael, but also with the ability to somewhat create his own hole. However, Lacy also had success against the Giants. Monty's patience was not rewarded against the Giants.

Good point. Didnt think about it like this, but it seems on point. Hopefully mm finds a way to play the right card at the right time.

Tony Oday
01-08-2017, 11:04 PM

They will build a huge lead before MM decides the deep ball every play doesn't work and when we start with slants again we will be too far behind.

Pugger
01-08-2017, 11:15 PM

They are pretty good a getting sacks but just below average against the pass.

Smidgeon
01-09-2017, 01:47 AM
winner: offensive line pass blocking
non-participant: offensive line run blocking

Maybe this has somewhat to do with the skills of the Giants D line, but I've never seen an offensive line be so dominant in one phase of the game, and so hapless in another.

Christine Michaels gets a loser because he was celebrating a block on a punt return while the play was still live.

George Cumby
01-09-2017, 07:54 AM
I didn't see that, Smidge, what I did see was some swagger which I liked.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-09-2017, 08:02 AM
And as a lone voice in the crowd, I wanna give props to my man Jeff Janis. He doesn't play much but yesterday made the most of his opportunities, even when I saw the hate come from the board when he hesitated on 1st kick off return. I want to note that on his last kickoff return, how close he was to breaking it. The boy is fast!

Teamcheez1
01-09-2017, 09:24 AM
Richard Rodgers was invisible this game. You would think there were at least some opportunities for him.

Zool
01-09-2017, 09:24 AM
And as a lone voice in the crowd, I wanna give props to my man Jeff Janis. He doesn't play much but yesterday made the most of his opportunities, even when I saw the hate come from the board when he hesitated on 1st kick off return. I want to note that on his last kickoff return, how close he was to breaking it. The boy is fast!

My main issue with Janis is that for being 220, he sure does get rag dolled easy.

Smidgeon
01-09-2017, 09:50 AM
I didn't see that, Smidge, what I did see was some swagger which I liked.

Saw it on a replay of Hyde's big return. Watched last night so I could rewind.

pbmax
01-09-2017, 10:10 AM

His first one was a beauty of a read on a short kick. He got to the hole before coverage could.

He just doesn't display that awareness often enough.

KYPack
01-09-2017, 10:15 AM
The way Janis has been playing on ST, he probably gets the old Jarrett Bush gig. Back-up position guy, ST terror. He might even learn the WR gig by osmosis after awhile.

pbmax
01-09-2017, 10:23 AM
Winners:

Fritz, Tony Oday for bringing the reverse jinx.

Maxie the Taxi
01-09-2017, 11:04 AM
Winners:

Fritz, Tony Oday for bringing the reverse jinx.Don't mess with that karma thing. lol

pbmax
01-09-2017, 11:38 AM
Winners: Packers Special Teams

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-09-2017, 11:43 AM
Winners: Packers Special Teams

Excellent point, I thought the entire special teams had as good a game as a group as they had all year.

Maxie the Taxi
01-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Excellent point, I thought the entire special teams had as good a game as a group as they had all year.HIRE ZOOK!!!

Doh...we already did.

Patler
01-09-2017, 11:57 AM
My main issue with Janis is that for being 220, he sure does get rag dolled easy.

Can't say I recall ever seeing that; but I have see him destroy a double team as the gunner on punt coverage, and not being slowed the least by blockers in kickoff coverage. On kickoffs, Janis is in the far left position most often, and the Packers almost always kick to the right when they are setting up for a coverage/return kick. It's Janis' job to get down field and cut the field width in half at about the 15 or 20 yard line. On at least one yesterday, it looked like the return guy was going to bounce it outside, but Janis stood up the would be blocker, made the return guy turn upfield between the hash and sideline, right into the teeth of the coverage. Janis didn't make the tackle, but he was responsible for it.

Bossman641
01-09-2017, 12:06 PM
Schum had a terrific game, as did the punt coverage team in general.
Also, I'm still not sure who was at fault on the King TD (Randall or HHCD), but Randall had a nice game other than that. We're gonna need him to match up with Beasley on Sunday.

Participants - DB's need to come up with the INT when they have a chance. So close on many opportunities

pbmax
01-09-2017, 12:23 PM
Can't say I recall ever seeing that; but I have see him destroy a double team as the gunner on punt coverage, and not being slowed the least by blockers in kickoff coverage. On kickoffs, Janis is in the far left position most often, and the Packers almost always kick to the right when they are setting up for a coverage/return kick. It's Janis' job to get down field and cut the field width in half at about the 15 or 20 yard line. On at least one yesterday, it looked like the return guy was going to bounce it outside, but Janis stood up the would be blocker, made the return guy turn upfield between the hash and sideline, right into the teeth of the coverage. Janis didn't make the tackle, but he was responsible for it.

He doesn't exhibit that toughness nearly as often when he has the ball.

Fritz
01-09-2017, 12:32 PM
Don't mess with that karma thing. lol

That's right. Shhh....

Somebody's gotta carry the load on this board.

As for winners and all that, I do think Janis played out of his mind on ST and is a winner this week. Not just the runback; the coverage was lovely.

C Michaels does get the thumbs down for the play Smidge saw - I saw it too on the replay and it pissed me off. Dude, follow the damn play in case there's a fumble! Pay attention, man!

Yet he did inject some assertiveness hitting the hole on his carries, which served the team well. i agree with those who said Montgomery's style did not work well against this Giants' defense.

Thumbs up to the much-maligned MM, who - we hope - is shedding his Marty Schottenheimer skin at long last. It seems to me that the more success the team has, the more confidence he'll have in being more aggressive. Thank goodness he's finally not trying to run out the clock with three consecutive running plays at the beginning of the fourth quarter.

Thumbs down to Nick Perry and, except for that one play, Clay Matthews. Man, there was no pass rush except for Peppers, though Lowry did get some push on a few plays. What we really need is for Kenny Clark to step up on passing plays and get some push in the middle. Oh, and for Nick Perry to remember he can make hisself a lotta dough if he plays better. And for Clay to remember that he needs to channel his inner wild man again.

Also, kudos to Micah Hyde. That guy isn't the fastest and I've lambasted him before, but he seems to be playing better now.

And that offensive line. What can we say? Sure, the run-blocking wasn't great, but they are probably the best pass-blocking unit in the entire NFL.

Patler
01-09-2017, 12:35 PM
He doesn't exhibit that toughness nearly as often when he has the ball.

Well, like a lot of long striders, he can get tripped up by guys grabbing his ankles, feet; like the low hit that knocked him down on his last kick return yesterday.
I've seen him run through a few arm tackles too, then get knocked over when shoved from the side. I don't think it is an issue of toughness at all, witness his hail mary reception last year and the long reception before it. With Janis, I think it is just an issue of balance.

Another former Packer who was like that was Donny Anderson. He could run with good power, but be knocked over by a glancing blow from the side. Janis actually looks a little like Anderson did returning kicks.

beveaux1
01-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Janis really had a good game on special teams. Maybe he's one of those guys that play a lot better on the big stage. He did next to nothing last year until the playoff game with Arizona. He's done next to nothing this year until the playoffs.

This could turn out to be very important if Nelson has to miss considerable time.

Harlan Huckleby
01-09-2017, 01:04 PM
Another former Packer who was like that was Donny Anderson. He could run with good power, but be knocked over by a glancing blow from the side. Janis actually looks a little like Anderson did returning kicks.

For sure. Same deal with Al Carmichael. You had to like Carmichael's speed, but I almost wished they'd let Floyd Reid return kicks - better ball security, hard to tackle, and he wasn't afraid to stick his nose in a scrum. Floyd must have broken that nose a 100 times.

texaspackerbacker
01-09-2017, 01:36 PM
For sure. Same deal with Al Carmichael. You had to like Carmichael's speed, but I almost wished they'd let Floyd Reid return kicks - better ball security, hard to tackle, and he wasn't afraid to stick his nose in a scrum. Floyd must have broken that nose a 100 times.

You're not saying you're actually old enough to remember Al Carmichael and Breezy Reid, are you? That's when I first was a Packer fan as about a 7 year old kid.

For several decades, I think, Carmichael held the record for longest kickoff return - 106 yards.

Patler
01-09-2017, 01:37 PM

You aren't old enough to remember Donny Anderson, so you mock me because I do? Damned young whippersnappers! One of these years the grey-hairs will revolt and teach you kids a lesson!

Anderson actually had a rather distinctive running style when he got moving. Looked like he he was taking about half as many strides as the average guy, and often ended up with his feet at head height when hit from the side. Made for some spectacular crash landings. You would see the same in the open field on runs and pass receptions. But, he had good size and power with his speed, maybe not the greatest balance.

Maxie the Taxi
01-09-2017, 01:47 PM
One of these years the grey-hairs will revolt and teach you kids a lesson! Run and hide, Harlan. I'm on my way to Wisconsin to beat the crap out of you!

https://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.net/imagegen/max/658/-/s3/digital-cougar-assets/streetmachine/2016/05/24/65601/BLOWIN--GASKETS-GREY-POWER-main.jpg

pbmax
01-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Way to go Harlan, no one is going to want to eat their soup today!

Patler
01-09-2017, 01:52 PM
Run and hide, Harlan. I'm on my way to Wisconsin to beat the crap out of you!

Yes! Yes! The long awaited uprising. I'll join you right after my nap!

Harlan Huckleby
01-09-2017, 02:04 PM
For several decades, I think, Carmichael held the record for longest kickoff return - 106 yards.

He also slept with Marilyn Monroe. Maybe.
http://www.denverpost.com/2014/11/29/paige-al-carmichaels-life-could-be-hollywood-hit/

Maxie the Taxi
01-09-2017, 02:08 PM
Yes! Yes! The long awaited uprising. I'll join you right after my nap!You sound like my wife.

Harlan Huckleby
01-09-2017, 02:09 PM
Anderson actually had a rather distinctive running style when he got moving. Looked like he he was taking about half as many strides as the average guy,

I have a faint memory of him, but more as a hb-fb tweener who also kicked FGs. I might have that all wrong, I was pretty busy catching frogs and snakes in those days.

Harlan Huckleby
01-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Run and hide, Harlan. I'm on my way to Wisconsin to beat the crap out of you!

your blinker is on

Zool
01-09-2017, 02:36 PM
Well, like a lot of long striders, he can get tripped up by guys grabbing his ankles, feet; like the low hit that knocked him down on his last kick return yesterday.
I've seen him run through a few arm tackles too, then get knocked over when shoved from the side. I don't think it is an issue of toughness at all, witness his hail mary reception last year and the long reception before it. With Janis, I think it is just an issue of balance.

It might be the long strider part as he has no base. He had that returner dead to rights on punt coverage yesterday, hit him and barely held on until help arrived.

I think in the Washington game, they had the ball at the 5, he caught a quick out at the 2. DB hit him right away and Janis ended up at the 5. He just doesn't play to his size. He's WR4 now I guess with Davis being a ghost because of his fumblitis?

Joemailman
01-09-2017, 03:03 PM
Winners:

Anyone who is sick of hearing about how Eli and the Giants have the Packers number.

Harlan Huckleby
01-09-2017, 03:46 PM
They didn't put a lot of effort into their lip syncing back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8SRD0FK2EE

Patler
01-09-2017, 07:05 PM
I have a faint memory of him, but more as a hb-fb tweener who also kicked FGs. I might have that all wrong, I was pretty busy catching frogs and snakes in those days.

You have it wrong. He punted, not FGs. Left footed punter, as I recall. Often credited as being the first who focused on height even if sacrificing distance, in order to minimize returns.

beveaux1
01-09-2017, 07:42 PM
You have it wrong. He punted, not FGs. Left footed punter, as I recall. Often credited as being the first who focused on height even if sacrificing distance, in order to minimize returns.

My favorite player after Hornung retired. He was a left footed punter, didn't kick it long, but was very hard to return because of the height of his punts. Good halfback. Real good as a receiver. I don't think his career continued after he slowed down and couldn't make it as a runner.

KYPack
01-09-2017, 10:07 PM
My favorite player after Hornung retired. He was a left footed punter, didn't kick it long, but was very hard to return because of the height of his punts. Good halfback. Real good as a receiver. I don't think his career continued after he slowed down and couldn't make it as a runner.

Yer right about Donny being a real effective punter. In '67 he kicked 63 punts, only 13 were returned for a whopping 22 yards. He also held the GBP record for punts downed inside the 20 with 21 of em. He held that record until Tim Masthay had a number of punts inside the 20, breaking Donny's records. Tim holds the record now with 30 punts inside the 20. Kentucky Tim was an extremely effective punter from 2010 - 2015. In 2016, he fell off a cliff or something and was cut.

Fritz
01-10-2017, 05:57 AM
So was Donny Anderson a winner or a participant?

I do have a vague memory of him playing when I was a kid. As I recall, he was one of the "Gold Dust Twins" along with . . . Jim Grabowski? - who were supposed to be the next Hornung/Taylor. Alas, it did not work out that way.

Maxie the Taxi
01-10-2017, 08:22 AM
So was Donny Anderson a winner or a participant?

I do have a vague memory of him playing when I was a kid. As I recall, he was one of the "Gold Dust Twins" along with . . . Jim Grabowski? - who were supposed to be the next Hornung/Taylor. Alas, it did not work out that way.Today they would be called the "Chump Change Twins." I think Anderson signed for a 3-year $600,000 deal, and Grabowski for $400,000. Still it was a lot of money then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLN_-h7Q9RM

texaspackerbacker
01-10-2017, 09:33 AM
People think Lombardi wasn't creative, but there was a weird play they ran a few times where it looked like punt formation but Bart Starr was in the up position and Anderson 15 yards back as if to punt. You could do a few things from that.

Maxie, it's been a long time, but I think Grabowski got $450,000 - that's from memory, I'll let somebody else look it up. The only time I saw Grabowski live was at Camp Randall when I was in college. His Illini beat the Badgers that day 51-0, and it was about zero degrees.

woodbuck27
01-10-2017, 09:56 AM

Janis is also a very decent Gunner on the Punt Team.

pbmax
01-10-2017, 09:57 AM
Janis is also a very decent Gunner on the Punt Team.

He had a terrible streak stretching back to last year. He variously looked like he had lost the title of best Gunner to Banjo, Fackrell and Hawkins for a while.

He has been much stronger in the last month.

Maybe banged up?

woodbuck27
01-10-2017, 10:37 AM
Today they would be called the "Chump Change Twins." I think Anderson signed for a 3-year $600,000 deal, and Grabowski for $400,000. Still it was a lot of money then.

NO. 33 Jim Grabowski:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Grabowski

** He finished as the all-time leader in rushing yards in Big Ten history.

** Grabowski is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame, inducted in 1995. He was also inducted into the GTE Academic All-American Hall of Fame and the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame. Additionally, Grabowski was named to the University of Illinois "All-Century" team, and is a member of the National Polish-American Sports Hall of Fame.

** NFL DRAFT: 1966 / Round: 1 / Pick: 9 Green Bay Packers

AFL DRAFT : The first overall pick by the expansion Miami Dolphins

Grabowski played five seasons for the Packers, and was known as one of Green Bay's "Gold Dust Twins" (along with fellow rookie running back Donny Anderson) in the late Sixties.

Donnie Anderson NO. 44

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donny_Anderson

Despite being selected by the Packers in the 1965 Draft, Donnie Anderson returned for his senior season at Texas Tech in 1965 and led the Red Raiders to an 8-2 regular season and a berth in the Gator Bowl on the afternoon of New Year's Eve. As a senior, he ran for 705 yards with 10 TD and had 60 catches for 797 yards and 7 TD.

Selected the outstanding player for Texas Tech in a ten-point loss to Georgia Tech, Anderson signed his pro contract hours after the game. He selected the Packers over the reportedly higher offer from the Houston Oilers of the AFL. His contract was believed to be a then-record $600,000, exceeding Joe Namath's contract of the previous year.

Anderson began his NFL career in 1966 as #44 for the world champion Packers. Fellow All-American Jim Grabowski (wore NO. 33), a fullback from Illinois, was the Packers' first pick in the 1966 NFL Draft, and ninth overall. The well-paid pair were the projected successors of Paul Hornung and Jim Taylor, future hall of famers in their final season with Green Bay. The two rookies were on the College All-Star team that lost to the defending NFL champion Packers 38–0 on August 5 at Soldier Field in Chicago. They joined the Packers' training camp after the game, and were tabbed the "Gold Dust Twins."

** Donnie Anderson was more than a Running Back; he took on the duties of Punter. Anderson originated the concept of hang time in punting. Until Anderson, punters typically strove for maximum distance, with the NFL's leaders usually averaging 45 or more yards a punt. Punt returns varied, with an average of perhaps 5 yards per return. In 1967, the left-footed Anderson worked instead at punting the ball higher, shortening the distance traveled but increasing the ball's time in the air, allowing better coverage by his team on the punt return. Green Bay punted 66 times that year, 63 of them by Anderson; opponents were able to return only 13 of them for a total of 22 yards, or about 1/3 yard per punt.

** In February 1972, Anderson was traded to the St. Louis Cardinals for MacArthur Lane.

Fritz
01-11-2017, 06:56 AM
Today they would be called the "Chump Change Twins." I think Anderson signed for a 3-year $600,000 deal, and Grabowski for $400,000. Still it was a lot of money then.

Those $400,000 and $600,000 contracts were big, big, big money back in the mid-60's. Hell, the great Detroit Tiger Al Kaline did not break the $100,000 barrier until '72 or '73 (he actually turned one $100,000 a year contract down because he felt no player was worth that kind of money).

So those were two huge contracts. The AFL was good for professional players' salaries.

And both were top ten picks, which I did not know. I'm not sure how the Packers got those picks, but can you imagine the shitstorm Vince Lombardi would've faced in today's social media world with how those two picks worked out? (I believe at that point Lombardi was in charge of drafting.)

Two top-ten picks two years running, and you end up with a couple of "meh" players? Man, Lombardi would've gotten absolutely roasted. That's AJ Hawk territory, two years in a row. They were okay, but they were no Taylor/Hornung combo. Heck, the "highlight" in that video Maxie posted (thank you, by the way, Maxie, cool stuff) of Donny Anderson was him grabbing a screen, going about ten yards, and then getting easily ankle-tackled. Looked like Richard Rodgers.

There'd be a half-dozen "Fire Lombardi" threads going at a time, his imbecility held up for all to see.

Getting MacArthur Lane for Anderson was a good trade, though. Lane had a couple of pretty good years for Green Bay. I can't remember his running mate in the backfield, but they were good. I think it was post-Brockington. I do remember that Green Bay used to run what was called the halfback option. The Packers' excuse-for-a-QB at that time (Scott Hunter? Jerry Tagge? John Hadl?) would pitch it to Lane, who'd run like it was a sweep, then pull up and throw a spiral tighter than anything any Packer QB of the time could manage. And more accurately, too.

Patler
01-11-2017, 07:52 AM
Those $400,000 and $600,000 contracts were big, big, big money back in the mid-60's. Hell, the great Detroit Tiger Al Kaline did not break the $100,000 barrier until '72 or '73 (he actually turned one $100,000 a year contract down because he felt no player was worth that kind of money).

So those were two huge contracts. The AFL was good for professional players' salaries.

And both were top ten picks, which I did not know. I'm not sure how the Packers got those picks, but can you imagine the shitstorm Vince Lombardi would've faced in today's social media world with how those two picks worked out? (I believe at that point Lombardi was in charge of drafting.)

Two top-ten picks two years running, and you end up with a couple of "meh" players? Man, Lombardi would've gotten absolutely roasted. That's AJ Hawk territory, two years in a row. They were okay, but they were no Taylor/Hornung combo. Heck, the "highlight" in that video Maxie posted (thank you, by the way, Maxie, cool stuff) of Donny Anderson was him grabbing a screen, going about ten yards, and then getting easily ankle-tackled. Looked like Richard Rodgers.

There'd be a half-dozen "Fire Lombardi" threads going at a time, his imbecility held up for all to see.

Getting MacArthur Lane for Anderson was a good trade, though. Lane had a couple of pretty good years for Green Bay. I can't remember his running mate in the backfield, but they were good. I think it was post-Brockington. I do remember that Green Bay used to run what was called the halfback option. The Packers' excuse-for-a-QB at that time (Scott Hunter? Jerry Tagge? John Hadl?) would pitch it to Lane, who'd run like it was a sweep, then pull up and throw a spiral tighter than anything any Packer QB of the time could manage. And more accurately, too.

While both were rookies in 1966, Anderson was drafted the year before as a "futures" pick, before his last year of college eligibility (he redshirted one year, which made him draftable.) He had the option of signing then, or playing his last year in college. Anderson stayed for his last season. Many thought it was a smart move, because salaries were going up dramatically, and by waiting he got more than Namath had. I think GB got the pick from the Eagles in the Jim Ringo and Earl Gros trade, that also brought them Leroy Caffey.

Grabowski was taken with the Lions first round pick, received in exchange for Ron Kramer.

Anderson was more than a "meh" player. He made some Pro Bowls, and his yardage totals were decent for those days. He is in the Packer HOF.

Grabowski looked real good as a runner early, then had his first knee injury. Back in those days, they sliced your knee open from top to bottom to fix it, which often ended careers. He never was the same after that. He had more knee problems, and didn't have a long career. I always liked Grabowski. He was a tough son of a gun.

Maxie the Taxi
01-11-2017, 08:00 AM
Getting MacArthur Lane for Anderson was a good trade, though. Lane had a couple of pretty good years for Green Bay. I can't remember his running mate in the backfield, but they were good. I think it was post-Brockington.Lane's running mate WAS Brockington. It was the highlight of the Devine years watching those two pound the pill. As an old schooler, I loved it!!

Here's a story about it: http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/lane-was-half-of-tough-backfield-3a5fj8e-153333955.html

Brockington rushed for 1,027 yards in 274 carries (3.7 avg.) and eight touchdowns, while Lane accumulated 821 yards in 177 attempts (4.6 avg.) and three touchdowns.

Patler
01-11-2017, 08:14 AM
Lane's running mate WAS Brockington. It was the highlight of the Devine years watching those two pound the pill. As an old schooler, I loved it!!

Here's a story about it: http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/lane-was-half-of-tough-backfield-3a5fj8e-153333955.html

Yup! Lane was known as a tremendous blocker and very good receiver, as well as a strong, physical runner. It always seemed to me the Packers got the better end of that trade, although Lane was viewed as a malcontent in St. Louise.

beveaux1
01-11-2017, 10:35 AM
While both were rookies in 1966, Anderson was drafted the year before as a "futures" pick, before his last year of college eligibility (he redshirted one year, which made him draftable.) He had the option of signing then, or playing his last year in college. Anderson stayed for his last season. Many thought it was a smart move, because salaries were going up dramatically, and by waiting he got more than Namath had. I think GB got the pick from the Eagles in the Jim Ringo and Earl Gros trade, that also brought them Leroy Caffey.

Grabowski was taken with the Lions first round pick, received in exchange for Ron Kramer.

Anderson was more than a "meh" player. He made some Pro Bowls, and his yardage totals were decent for those days. He is in the Packer HOF.

Grabowski looked real good as a runner early, then had his first knee injury. Back in those days, they sliced your knee open from top to bottom to fix it, which often ended careers. He never was the same after that. He had more knee problems, and didn't have a long career. I always liked Grabowski. He was a tough son of a gun.

Absolutely true. Anderson was very well thought of as a runner, receiver, and punter. He even threw the HB option on occasion. 1000 yard runners were very rare in the late 60s because every team used a 2 back set and both ran for considerable yardage. Lombardi would have been praised for this pick.

KYPack
01-11-2017, 11:12 AM

In these days of specialization, I'm sure Donny will hold one "record". He's got to be the last (and maybe the only) player in NFL history to both be a punter and the teams punt return man.

Several years ago, I attended a Packer game in which Anderson and Grabowski were brought back as team captains for an old timers day or something. I lucked into getting into one of those hospitality tents in which both men did a meet and greet for the fans. it involved a Q&A session and both men were totally cool. It was a flashback to the time when sports stars were humble and self deprecating. they spoke for over an hour or so. The video max posted has a sample of what went down that morning. At one point, a question was asked about how the two guys were treated by the veteran Packers after singing those big money contracts. They both laughed and then both of them recounted how much static they got from many vets after they raked in those big bucks. Jim Taylor and Leroy Caffey were two guys who really heaped scorn on these two young guys and made their lives pretty miserable.

Donny then spoke about a turning point that came in the regular season. Lombardi was trying to work Anderson into the mix and get him game experience. In a close game (tied I believe) Anderson was attempting to get extra yardage and fumbled the ball which was recovered by the opposition. Lombardi yelled at Donny for giving up the ball and he sat by himself on the far end of the bench. He sat there alone, staring at his shoes. All he could think of was how miserable the plane ride home would be for him after costing the team the game. He began to think that maybe he didn't have what it takes to play for the Pack. Then he felt a hand on his shoulder. It was Fuzzy. Fuzz told him to "take it easy kid. You know what's going to happen? The defense will hold them and they'll punt it to us. Bart will lead us down and we'll kick a field goal to win the ball game. Then, we'll get on the plane and drink beer and party all the way home". And that's exactly what happened. After that, several of the veterans told the others to lighten up on the young players, they needed them to perform well to win. When asked if all the veterans lightened up on them, Anderson replied, "Well, not Taylor", which got a hearty laugh from Grabowski. I guess #31 was a pretty hard case.

Maxie the Taxi
01-11-2017, 11:12 AM
Absolutely true. Anderson was very well thought of as a runner, receiver, and punter. He even threw the HB option on occasion. 1000 yard runners were very rare in the late 60s because every team used a 2 back set and both ran for considerable yardage. Lombardi would have been praised for this pick.Another reason 1000-yard rushers were rare back in the day is that they didn't play as many games in the regular season. Can't say for sure when the switch to more games happened.

Maxie the Taxi
01-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Great post, KY! Jimmy Taylor was certainly a hard case. He was one of my favorite Packers back then on a team with probably 30 guys who could be favorites. (Max McGee is probably my most favorite, obviously.)

I didn't know Taylor personally, but I heard he bumped heads with Lombardi too, not on game stuff but on contracts. He left, I think, to try to cash in a bit ala the Gold Dust boys.

Anyway, he ran angry as they say nowadays. If you needed yardage in the worst way, you got the ball to Taylor. He was one of the few if not the first of the "cut" bodies. He lifted weights before weightlifting was cool. He wasn't a "finesse" back to say the least. He was hard as nails. He ran over guys. His battles with Jim Brown over the years was legendary. If I had to choose, I take Taylor over Brown and I don't think it is because I'm a homer. hahaha

Fritz
01-11-2017, 03:22 PM
Absolutely true. Anderson was very well thought of as a runner, receiver, and punter. He even threw the HB option on occasion. 1000 yard runners were very rare in the late 60s because every team used a 2 back set and both ran for considerable yardage. Lombardi would have been praised for this pick.

You must not read Packerrats!

A first overall pick had better be a hall of famer, not just a Packer hall of famer. Look at the incredible careers that the guys picked behind Donny Anderson had! Check this out, from Wikipedia:

" That year's draft included future hall-of-famers Dick Butkus, Gale Sayers, Joe Namath, and Fred Biletnikoff."

He coulda taken Jack Snow or Joe Namath instead - Joe Freakin' Namath! Or he coulda traded up and gotten Sayers or Butkus!

Christ, Lombardi coulda closed his eyes and thrown a dart at the draft board at any of those other four names and done better!

Sure Anderson was okay, had a couple of decent years, but when you have the #7 overall pick you don't waste it on a "pretty darned good" player. You need a superstar, man. You need to pick a Gale Sayers or a Dick Butkus or a Joe Namath or even a Fred Biletnikoff, who was a great receiver, or an enforcer like Jack Snow. Not some guy who's okay for a few years.

What a lousy pick. Sure, if they'd picked up Donny in the second round, that'd been okay, but not as a first round pick.

Lombardi needs to be fired for fugging up that pick. He totally screwed the pooch and that's the beginning of the end for the Packer dynasty.

See? That's what Packerrats woulda looked like circa 1969.

Maxie the Taxi
01-11-2017, 03:48 PM
^^^ Sir, I was a Packerrat in 1969. I knew Packerrats. Packerrats were friends of mine. Sir, you are no Packerrat.

RashanGary
01-11-2017, 04:00 PM
Good stuff guys. I remember the majikowski sharpe days like that.

Harlan Huckleby
01-11-2017, 04:36 PM
Lane's running mate WAS Brockington. It was the highlight of the Devine years watching those two pound the pill. As an old schooler, I loved it!!

Now Brockington and Lane's brief career together is cemented firmly in my memory. We definitely pretended to be those guys in our football games.

One Christmas I bought a John Brockington poster for my youngest brother, and it never came in the mail. Instead, I wrapped up something very disagreeable. This incident is still an open wound, and I'm not proud of it. I tried to buy a JB poster on ebay a few years ago to begin the healing process, but they are insanely expensive collector's items.

Fritz
01-11-2017, 05:40 PM
^^^ Sir, I was a Packerrat in 1969. I knew Packerrats. Packerrats were friends of mine. Sir, you are no Packerrat.

Heck, I thought I nailed (some of) the Packerrats mentality perfectly. I just channeled my inner "They shoulda taken Vernon Davis with that pick; AJ Hawk sucks" and my "hell, the four players taken after ________ all ended up in the hall of fame!" and there it was: the perfect representation of what a 1969 Packerrats post on a "Donny Anderson: Lombardi's Worst Pick?" thread might look like.

Don't forget; I was a Packerrat in 1969, too. But without all the bombast of social media available, I didn't know enough to hate Vince Lombardi for wrecking the Packer dynasty.

Maxie the Taxi
01-11-2017, 06:16 PM
^^^Just kidding. I was hoping you recognized the format (Lloyd Bentsen VP debate putdown of Dan Quayle). My weird sense of humor got the best of me. lol

Fritz
01-11-2017, 06:20 PM
No, I got the humor and enjoyed it. I am both proud and slightly saddened to say I actually watched that debate as it happened. It was nice to see that air-headed young whippersnapper put in his place.

It's been awhile since Texas had a national politician it could be proud of.