PDA

View Full Version : Jordy out for rest of playoffs

Fosco33
01-09-2017, 07:59 AM
Lacerated spleen

esoxx
01-09-2017, 08:04 AM
I guess that's what happens when you spear someone in the side with the crown of your helmet. Dirty bastard

Cheesehead Craig
01-09-2017, 08:40 AM
Well that sucks. Somehow hearing that the guy will get fined won't help anyone feel better.

Here's hoping the rest of the gang steps up even more.

red
01-09-2017, 08:45 AM
Where are you hearing the this, I can't find it anywhere

Maxie the Taxi
01-09-2017, 08:53 AM
If so, a damn shitty break. But I'll tell you, something says this team will persevere and maybe dedicate the rest of the playoffs to Jordy. Guys WILL step up.

Houston or bust. Go Pack Go!

call_me_ishmael
01-09-2017, 08:57 AM
Mike and Mike are reporting it apparently. I have mixed feelings on the hit. It didn't seem particularly dirty but it did seem unnecessary. Dang, that is a serious injury.

smuggler
01-09-2017, 09:01 AM
Hardly a Warren Sapp level hit but he should be fined. Sucks to lose Jordy. Our team is worse off, obviously.

pbmax
01-09-2017, 09:10 AM
This one is advisory:

Dr. Mark Adickes ‏@jocktodoc 2h2 hours ago
Concerns for Jordy Nelson are broken ribs, pneumothorax (collapsed lung) and splenic laceration with blow occurring on his left side.

Zool
01-09-2017, 09:15 AM
http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2016-rules-changes-and-points-of-emphasis/

Crown of Helmet

For safety reasons, the Committee believes that crown-of-the-helmet hits by defenders that were previously legal because the defender did not line up the runner should be illegal regardless of whether the defender lines up the runner prior to making contact. When the rule was first implemented, game officials were instructed to look for three elements for interpreting the rule for initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet:

The player must line up his opponent
He must lower his head
He must make forcible contact with the crown of the helmet.
Game officials will be instructed to call fouls when a defender lowers his head and makes forcible contact with the crown of his helmet on a runner outside the tackle box. The line-up requirement will still apply to a runner, since in many instances that player ducks his head to protect himself from impending contact by a defender, rather than to deliver a blow.

Guiness
01-09-2017, 09:34 AM
http://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2016-rules-changes-and-points-of-emphasis/

Crown of Helmet

For safety reasons, the Committee believes that crown-of-the-helmet hits by defenders that were previously legal because the defender did not line up the runner should be illegal regardless of whether the defender lines up the runner prior to making contact. When the rule was first implemented, game officials were instructed to look for three elements for interpreting the rule for initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet:

The player must line up his opponent
He must lower his head
He must make forcible contact with the crown of the helmet.
Game officials will be instructed to call fouls when a defender lowers his head and makes forcible contact with the crown of his helmet on a runner outside the tackle box. The line-up requirement will still apply to a runner, since in many instances that player ducks his head to protect himself from impending contact by a defender, rather than to deliver a blow.

Which reads like the script for the hit on Jordy.

pbmax
01-09-2017, 09:42 AM
I think the Mike and Mike thing was premature, not to say it couldn't be correct.

This guy tweeted at 7:36AM

Concerns for Jordy Nelson are broken ribs, pneumothorax (collapsed lung) and splenic laceration with blow occurring on his left side.

Schefter retweeted that, but did not confirm it.

Then this guy reported Mike and Mike with EXACT same information but Tweeted as fact at 8:08

ST_OG_Bababooey @ST_OG_Bababooey
@BrandonGoats just FYI @MikeAndMike is reporting Jordy Nelson has broke ribs, collapsed lung and spline laceration. Out for playoffs.

Nothing confirmed from Schefter or RapSheet.

call_me_ishmael
01-09-2017, 09:51 AM
Schefter retweeted that but it is curious that no one else has had a sniff of anything.

My gut feeling is he will be out for the playoffs or some news would have leaked already. I have no doubt he is in the hospital and that's why nothing has gotten out yet.

Maxie the Taxi
01-09-2017, 09:53 AM
Rodgers trying to get into Geronimo Allison's head, calls him out, sets him up as THE playoff Fuckdoggle of Jordy can't play:

"But Geronimo [Allison] has been playing a lot for us and he's been playing effectively," Rodgers said. "Randall [Cobb] being back healthy -- you know I said this week in my press conference we're better with 18 [Cobb's jersey number] on the field. And he showed it tonight, made a ton of plays for us. He was excellent. And having him out there is going to help. But you know Geronimo is going to have to step up and play extended time if Jordy is going to be out."

vince
01-09-2017, 09:57 AM
I think the Mike and Mike thing was premature, not to say it couldn't be correct.

This guy tweeted at 7:36AM

Schefter retweeted that, but did not confirm it.

Then this guy reported Mike and Mike with EXACT same information but Tweeted as fact at 8:08

ST_OG_Bababooey @ST_OG_Bababooey
@BrandonGoats just FYI @MikeAndMike is reporting Jordy Nelson has broke ribs, collapsed lung and spline laceration. Out for playoffs.

Nothing confirmed from Schefter or RapSheet.
Wow. It was obvious it wasn't a bruise. He was hurting bigtime. Any return would have been a surprise.

Fosco33
01-09-2017, 10:04 AM
Hope it is premature. Yeah - mike/mike.

Al Harris had similar injury and was out over 4 games in 08

Teamcheez1
01-09-2017, 10:20 AM
Even if it was just the rib injury, we were probably looking at 2 games. Anything more just adds to it.

Zool
01-09-2017, 10:34 AM
Davis must have tried to bang McCarthy's wife. He hasn't sniffed the field in weeks.

call_me_ishmael
01-09-2017, 10:34 AM
Abby makes a triumphant return for the playoffs? Surprisingly, I don't think he played for anyone else during the season.

George Cumby
01-09-2017, 10:36 AM
You may not believe this, but the night before the game, I dreamt that Nelson spontaneously retired. I woke up and thought " That was weird."

But more to the point, a dirty hit to Jordy, the way twisting Ty was dirty. As soon as he was hit, you knew it was bad, his reaction was immediate.

Bummer deal, I hope he heals up ok.

Patler
01-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Wayne Larivee did a live segment on WTMJ this morning, and said there was no word on Nelson's injury, or how long he might be out.

Cheesehead Craig
01-09-2017, 10:54 AM
MM has a press conference at 2:30. I'm sure there will be an update then with some more certainty.

texaspackerbacker
01-09-2017, 10:59 AM
Did the doctor actually say Nelson has a lacerated spleen? Or just that they were evaluating him for that? It seems like the reporter jumped to the conclusion that he had that.

Jason Witten had that a couple of years ago, and the headline said "out at least two weeks". I recall he got back quicker than expected. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jordy back for the Super Bowl. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the next man up perform just fine and the Packers to do well even without him. Nelson had been playing Cobb's slot position a lot; Cobb is back now; Allison seems better suited for the outside where Nelson would normally play. In addition, Janis and Davis could still be factors.

Maxie the Taxi
01-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Did the doctor actually say Nelson has a lacerated spleen? Or just that they were evaluating him for that? It seems like the reporter jumped to the conclusion that he had that.

Jason Witten had that a couple of years ago, and the headline said "out at least two weeks". I recall he got back quicker than expected. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jordy back for the Super Bowl. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the next man up perform just fine and the Packers to do well even without him. Nelson had been playing Cobb's slot position a lot; Cobb is back now; Allison seems better suited for the outside where Nelson would normally play. In addition, Janis and Davis could still be factors.++++1

Keep it up, Tex. You're on fire!!

Go Pack Go.

red
01-09-2017, 11:04 AM
I had a nasty fall a few years ago trying to load a boat, landed on the tongue of the trailer. I thought I was gonna die, couldn't breathe at first. But in a week or two I was fine

Bruised ribs can hurt like hell, yet he could still play next week

Maxie the Taxi
01-09-2017, 11:10 AM
I had a nasty fall a few years ago trying to land a boat while I was loaded standing on the tongue of the trailer. I thought I was gonna die, couldn't breathe at first. But in a week or two I was fine

Bruised ribs can hurt like hell, yet he could still play next weekFIFY lol

pbmax
01-09-2017, 11:12 AM
Davis must have tried to bang McCarthy's wife. He hasn't sniffed the field in weeks.

He also punched a coach.

JSO without a quote or obvious source said they basically benched the players who could not make it work with Rodgers (Davis and Janis) and promoted Geronimo to the starting lineup once he made the active roster.

pbmax
01-09-2017, 11:13 AM
You may not believe this, but the night before the game, I dreamt that Nelson spontaneously retired. I woke up and thought " That was weird."

But more to the point, a dirty hit to Jordy, the way twisting Ty was dirty. As soon as he was hit, you knew it was bad, his reaction was immediate.

Bummer deal, I hope he heals up ok.

OK no more sleeping for you until the off week before the Super Bowl.

We are all counting on you. Good luck.

hoosier
01-09-2017, 02:14 PM
When a heavy lid of low sky
covers a soul moaning with ennui and fright,
and the whole horizon is rounded by
a black day pouring down, sadder than any night;

When the earth is turned to a muggy dungeon
where Hope is the shadow of a bat, feeling
with feeble, flapping wings along the grunge on
walls and bumping its head against a putrid ceiling;

When the crawling spiders of scattershot rains
drop cold bars that imprison us,
water trickles along the channels in our brains,
and the people around us feel poisonous—

the bells speak out suddenly with fury
and lance the sky with dreadful howls,
and frightened strays and exiles, sorry
and homeless, rage from deep within their bowels.

Long hearses roll, slow, silent, hypnotic,
through my soul. Hope, defeated, cries
out its atrocious anguish—despotic.
A black hood slides over my ferocious eyes.

bobblehead
01-09-2017, 02:17 PM
Mike and Mike are reporting it apparently. I have mixed feelings on the hit. It didn't seem particularly dirty but it did seem unnecessary. Dang, that is a serious injury.

He lead with the crown of his helmet into the back. Doesn't get any dirtier. As for unnecessary I disagree again. Jordy bobbled the ball, its on the DB to knock it loose....just not that way.

Harlan Huckleby
01-09-2017, 02:20 PM
Well that sucks. Somehow hearing that the guy will get fined won't help anyone feel better.

Here's hoping the rest of the gang steps up even more.

The offender should be forced to donate his spleen for an organ transplant.

That's a tough loss. I'll weakly say losing Cook would have been worse. As would a plane crash killing the entire team.

Joemailman
01-09-2017, 02:30 PM
MM's PC about to start. Maybe we'll here something oficial.

pbmax
01-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 31s32 seconds ago
Sounds like good news with Ty Montgomery, who had to miss some time Sun for the Pack, but not as optimistic on Jordy Nelson

Not official, prior to press conference.

yetisnowman
01-09-2017, 02:32 PM

Weren't you going on and on weeks back about how dirty it was when Barbre put Clay on his ass?
A shoulder to chest block is certainly cleaner than spearing a guy in the ribs with the crown of your helmet.

Joemailman
01-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Jordy Nelson spent last night in the hospital after his rib injury but has been released. Coach Mike McCarthy said Nelson won't practice between now and Friday but will try to practice Saturday. "If he can practice on Saturday, then he has a chance," McCarthy said. "If he doesn't practice, he won't play."

Maxie the Taxi
01-09-2017, 02:48 PM
I'm air-mailing a bottle of this to Green Bay ASAP.

http://www.horsetackinternational.com/images/Liniment.bmp

Fosco33
01-09-2017, 02:56 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Jordy Nelson spent last night in the hospital after his rib injury but has been released. Coach Mike McCarthy said Nelson won't practice between now and Friday but will try to practice Saturday. "If he can practice on Saturday, then he has a chance," McCarthy said. "If he doesn't practice, he won't play."

Well that's great news. If he can't go this week - seems like he's not out for rest of playoffs. Maybe they were being cautious? Bruised rips or spleen kinda deal?

Harlan Huckleby
01-09-2017, 02:57 PM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

Great news. Sounds like cracked ribs or something that could heal before SB. Better than "lacerated spleen"

call_me_ishmael
01-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Weren't you going on and on weeks back about how dirty it was when Barbre put Clay on his ass?
A shoulder to chest block is certainly cleaner than spearing a guy in the ribs with the crown of your helmet.

Going on and on? I don't think so. Barbre hit on Clay was dirty since he was blindsided. This is just football. I am not so sure that he led with the crown of his helmet. It is an unfortunate play - just shoving the guy hard would have had the same result.

Joemailman
01-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Might need some protective armor.

http://shop.metaldevastation.com/images/DISCOS%201577.jpg

QBME
01-09-2017, 02:59 PM
When a heavy lid of low sky
covers a soul moaning with ennui and fright,
and the whole horizon is rounded by
a black day pouring down, sadder than any night;

When the earth is turned to a muggy dungeon
where Hope is the shadow of a bat, feeling
with feeble, flapping wings along the grunge on
walls and bumping its head against a putrid ceiling;

When the crawling spiders of scattershot rains
drop cold bars that imprison us,
water trickles along the channels in our brains,
and the people around us feel poisonous—

the bells speak out suddenly with fury
and lance the sky with dreadful howls,
and frightened strays and exiles, sorry
and homeless, rage from deep within their bowels.

Long hearses roll, slow, silent, hypnotic,
through my soul. Hope, defeated, cries
out its atrocious anguish—despotic.
A black hood slides over my ferocious eyes.

Tank??? (JK)

gbgary
01-09-2017, 03:00 PM
sounds cautiously optimistic.

mission
01-09-2017, 03:04 PM
Crazy that he *could* practice on Saturday. I'm not betting on that, but a far cry from initial reports.

red
01-09-2017, 03:08 PM
initial reports were complete and utter bull shit

i even heard at one point on the radio that he had broken rids, a punctured lung AND a lacerated spleen

all of it comes from one guy, who didn't exam jordy, saying it could be anything including those things

QBME
01-09-2017, 03:12 PM

Or they could be playing coy, making Dallas spend time planning on the possibility of Jordy playing. On the bright side, if he did have a lacerated spleen or collapsed lung I doubt he would have been released from the hospital. I'm no MD, but common sense.

Steve Young played in a couple of games with broken ribs, taking the needle and wearing a flak jacket, but he didn't have to run routes and take hits.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-09-2017, 03:13 PM

Actually sounds better than that. I mean, if they are saying he intends to try to practice Saturday, then this just has to be a bruised something, cracked, or broken or lacerated would require a much longer treatment time. Signed, Dr Oldguy

Guiness
01-09-2017, 03:22 PM
Steve Young played in a couple of games with broken ribs, taking the needle and wearing a flak jacket, but he didn't have to run routes and take hits.

You're talking about Steve Young? Seems to me he took a fair number of hits!

pbmax
01-09-2017, 03:37 PM
I'm air-mailing a bottle of this to Green Bay ASAP.

http://www.horsetackinternational.com/images/Liniment.bmp

I was going to ask if it was for horses but the logo gave my joke away!

#old school!

gbgary
01-09-2017, 03:39 PM
initial reports were complete and utter bull shit

i even heard at one point on the radio that he had broken rids, a punctured lung AND a lacerated spleen

all of it comes from one guy, who didn't exam jordy, saying it could be anything including those things

they were concerned that he may have had those injuries. they were all possibilities.

i kinda doubt we see him...unless he's just sore. if ribs aren't broken or separated from cartilage (both very painful) than we may see him. fingers crossed!!

i hope the fucker who hit him gets a hefty fine.

pbmax
01-09-2017, 03:39 PM
Or they could be playing coy, making Dallas spend time planning on the possibility of Jordy playing. On the bright side, if he did have a lacerated spleen or collapsed lung I doubt he would have been released from the hospital.

Exactly.

red
01-09-2017, 03:49 PM
they were concerned that he may have had those injuries. they were all possibilities.

i kinda doubt we see him...unless he's just sore. if ribs aren't broken or separated from cartilage (both very painful) than we may see him. fingers crossed!!

i hope the fucker who hit him gets a hefty fine.

no, during one of the updates during the talk show they said he had ALL those

it might have been on maddog sports

pbmax
01-09-2017, 03:51 PM
it might have been on maddog spots

I don't know who to trust now.

gbgary
01-09-2017, 03:52 PM
no, during one of the updates during the talk show they said he had ALL those

it might have been on maddog spots

ah...my bad. what is a maddog sports?

Harlan Huckleby
01-09-2017, 03:52 PM
It probably is a cracked rib, maybe some cartilage damage. Will take months to fully heal, and hurt like hell for weeks. I sure wouldn't want to play wide receiver of all positions with that injury. But to Jordy I say: get back out there, son.

esoxx
01-09-2017, 03:56 PM
I think the thread originator should have spent more time sourcing this information and less time hassling Troy Aikman :lol:

Fritz
01-09-2017, 04:10 PM
Leon Hall has some 'spleenin' to do.

woodbuck27
01-09-2017, 04:31 PM
How in the blazes did the Officials miss seeing an obvious ... Leading With The Helmut ... Penalty? It was over the top too obvious. Referree Ed Hochuli is a five day a week lawyer yet the NFL insists on such as their choice of game day Officials. He has been an NFL Official for 26 years but he was blind yesterday. He is by reputation about as competent as it gets among NFL Officials but he was not sharp yesterday. Why was that?

Ohh dear poor Ed may get a letter on missing the Jordy Nelson cheap shot from the League Office. What a tragedy for Ole Ed. Meanwhile The Green Bay Packers are possibly (to be determined) without a great WR and a solid person for the remainder of the playoffs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Hochuli

I want to continue this rant. If I could have gone through the HD screen to get to Joe Buck I would have clawed the scruff beard off his dumb ass face. I would have gone all Kamikatze on him. I despise that broadcast team. They cannot even do close to a decent job covering up their bias. F'uckers .... both of them and why do we seem to draw that pair so often !? I cannot stomach the fact we may see them back this Sunday Vs Dallas.

That as well as a lot more made me sick watching that game. It sure appeared to me like it was all about the Giants winning that game. Joe Buck is outrageously prejudiced for the New York Giants. He had little commentary on Jordy Nelson's serious injury after a violation and went on and on RE: the early loss of Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. His remark RE: Aaron Rodgers being delighted that the Giants lost two key members of their Secondary was out of line. He's a complete ass idiot.

Joemailman
01-09-2017, 04:48 PM
How in the blazes did the Officials miss seeing an obvious ... Leading With The Helmut ... Penalty? It was over the top too obvious. Referree Ed Hochuli is a five day a week lawyer yet the NFL insists on such as their choice of game day Officials. He has been an NFL Official for 26 years but he was blind yesterday. He is by reputation about as competent as it gets among NFL Officials but he was not sharp yesterday. Why was that?

Ohh dear poor Ed may get a letter on missing the Jordy Nelson cheap shot from the League Office. What a tragedy for Ole Ed. Meanwhile The Green Bay Packers are possibly (to be determined) without a great WR and a solid person for the remainder of the playoffs.

On a passing play, the referee is focused primarily on the QB. It's either the side judge of the field judge who should have made the call. Doubt Hochuli was in a position to see if the hit was legal.

red
01-09-2017, 05:01 PM
ah...my bad. what is a maddog sports?

its a 24/7 sports talk channel on sirius xm radio

like espn radio but with different people

vince
01-09-2017, 05:10 PM
On a passing play, the referee is focused primarily on the QB. It's either the side judge of the field judge who should have made the call. Doubt Hochuli was in a position to see if the hit was legal.

:p
No excuse. He's a lawyer. I'm sure it didn't take but a couple seconds for him to get right on top of Jordy with a business card. That hit was criminal.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-09-2017, 05:40 PM
Nfl mobile just sent a news flash saying jordy has at least two fractured ribs.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-09-2017, 05:45 PM
Orthopedic website I looked up said 2 to 4 weeks recovery with use of flak jacket. Also said that may be expedited if they dope em up.

QBME
01-09-2017, 05:47 PM
You're talking about Steve Young? Seems to me he took a fair number of hits!

Not in the games he played hurt. He stayed in the pocket and either fell down or tossed it away when under pressure.

gbgary
01-09-2017, 05:56 PM
depends on how bad they were fractured. pain management. etc.

woodbuck27
01-09-2017, 06:13 PM

That is Hochuli's crew. There was an official standing what looked like at the most 10 feet away downfield when the defender led with his helmut.

The whole world watching but Hochuli saw the violation.

RashanGary
01-09-2017, 06:14 PM
That is Hochuli's crew. There was an official standing what looked like at the most 10 feet away downfield when the defender led with his helmut.

Bring him back for Super Bowl.

woodbuck27
01-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Nfl mobile just sent a news flash saying jordy has at least two fractured ribs.

Here it is:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4731/jordy-nelson

Jordy Nelson suffered at least two fractured ribs.

Tony Oday
01-09-2017, 06:39 PM
If he would have caught the ball he would have a bruised arm.

red
01-09-2017, 06:41 PM
i called it when it happened in the GDT

2 broke ribs, not ruled out for sunday, but he would be one ballsy tough son of a bitch if he does play

and that report from rotoworld is from rapoport

Follow

Ian RapoportVerified account
‏@RapSheet
#Packers WR Jordy Nelson suffered at least two fractured ribs in the win over #Giants, sources say. Will take an incredible effort to play.

Fosco33
01-09-2017, 06:49 PM
I think the thread originator should have spent more time sourcing this information and less time hassling Troy Aikman :lol:

Touché! After I heard it - I couldn't find anything online. My bad

red
01-09-2017, 06:56 PM
its mike and mikes fault, not yours

hoosier
01-09-2017, 07:39 PM
It probably is a cracked rib, maybe some cartilage damage. Will take months to fully heal, and hurt like hell for weeks. I sure wouldn't want to play wide receiver of all positions with that injury. But to Jordy I say: get back out there, son.

So you think he spent the night in the hospital because his pain was a 9?

hoosier
01-09-2017, 07:42 PM
Tank??? (JK)

Qu'est-ce que c'est un tanque?

esoxx
01-09-2017, 08:07 PM
its mike and mikes fault, not yours

Yeah, just giving Fosco some crap.

Never been a Mike & Mike fan. Too much buffonery.

That show should be named Tool & Tool.

Harlan Huckleby
01-09-2017, 09:32 PM
So you think he spent the night in the hospital because his pain was a 9?

Are you challenging my diagnosis, Dr. Hoosier? Seems that my guess was about right. Ya I think they kept him overnight because he was in horrible pain, and they can't be completely sure of the extent of damage.

Pugger
01-09-2017, 11:38 PM
Leon Hall has some 'spleenin' to do.

I hope he gets a hefty fine.

Fritz
01-10-2017, 05:22 AM

Ah, Leon was just ribbin' him.

Cheesehead Craig
01-10-2017, 07:12 AM

Again, Ed was on the other side of the hashmarks about 50 yards away watching the QB. He couldn't see what happened downfield nor is it his job.

Who you should be mad at is the Field Judge, Jimmy Buchanan, he was the one behind the play who's job it was to watch for that. He's an insurance agent, so he's trying to say it was a pre-existing condition thus denying the penalty.

QBME
01-10-2017, 07:18 AM
Qu'est-ce que c'est un tanque?

Un imbécile avec un clavier.

hoosier
01-10-2017, 08:53 AM

Ooh la la, tres dangereux!!!

KYPack
01-10-2017, 09:00 AM

Wee, Wee.

woodbuck27
01-10-2017, 10:51 AM
Again, Ed was on the other side of the hashmarks about 50 yards away watching the QB. He couldn't see what happened downfield nor is it his job.

Who you should be mad at is the Field Judge, Jimmy Buchanan, he was the one behind the play who's job it was to watch for that. He's an insurance agent, so he's trying to say it was a pre-existing condition thus denying the penalty.

Cheesehead Craig and Joemailman.

Holy Crap ! The degree that some of you will go to to defend the officiating skills in the NFL; your so full of beans.

Really.... looking at it...it gets worse.

1. Packer HC Mike Mc Carthy can't react as any other Head Coach would to such an obvious infraction and yell at the Referee !? Any fan with a pulse immediately saw the negative impact on our chances of a long Super Bowl run and that infraction against one of the NFL's best WR's.

2. They do not have a Re-Play Screen at Lambeau Field?

Isn't that a shame. :whaa: (intended sarcasm)

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Green+Bay+Packers+v+Detroit+Lions+i_kcItFm00il.jpg

woodbuck27
01-10-2017, 10:59 AM

That is what I am looking for .... any time now.

They covered the results of the infraction against Jordy Nelson very well on the NFL Network this morning. They had a doctor on the set that explained the possible injury consequences of being hit to the side and lower part of the rib cage. A member of the panel was disgusted with that illegal hit and felt terrible for Jordy Nelson after all he went through last season (and this season) to get back up to speed and have a tremendous comeback year and then this happen.

woodbuck27
01-10-2017, 11:03 AM
http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-injured-jordy-nelson-not-ruled-out-for-sunday-s/article_3439e9bd-f666-5891-8896-796add857040.html

Packers: Injured Jordy Nelson not ruled out for Sunday's game vs. Cowboys

JASON WILDE For the State Journal 3 hrs ago

Cheesehead Craig
01-10-2017, 12:16 PM
Cheesehead Craig and Joemailman.

Holy Crap ! The degree that some of you will go to to defend the officiating skills in the NFL; your so full of beans.

Really.... looking at it...it gets worse.

1. Packer HC Mike Mc Carthy can't react as any other Head Coach would to such an obvious infraction and yell at the Referee !? Any fan with a pulse immediately saw the negative impact on our chances of a long Super Bowl run and that infraction against one of the NFL's best WR's.

2. They do not have a Re-Play Screen at Lambeau Field?

Isn't that a shame. :whaa: (intended sarcasm)

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Green+Bay+Packers+v+Detroit+Lions+i_kcItFm00il.jpg

Bloody hell. Nobody is defending the officiating on the play. You're just blaming the wrong guy in Ed Hoculli. He wasn't near the play, the guy I mentioned was. Ed can't look up at the video monitor and make a call that was 50 yards away after the play was over. Sheesh.

woodbuck27
01-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Bloody hell. Nobody is defending the officiating on the play. You're just blaming the wrong guy in Ed Hoculli. He wasn't near the play, the guy I mentioned was. Ed can't look up at the video monitor and make a call that was 50 yards away after the play was over. Sheesh.

We all watched him (Referee Ed Hochuli take excessive time to make decisions during this game but in an obvious occasion when he needed to get it right you fall on his responsibilities during the exact play.

Come on ...penalties are called after the play is over !

He and his crew completely blew it and what was Packer Head Coach Mike McCarthy's reaction to all of it?

Any Packer fan with a pulse was pissed immediately upon seeing this assault on Jordy Nelson.

Mike McCarthy !? Uhh Duuuu. A large responsibility of a teams HC is to protect his players. To fight for their rights of clean play.

Have you ever watched NHL Hockey? Any infraction such as this one would see an immediate reaction of the teams Head Coach (the games Officials would get their collective bells rung by the coach's pissed off reaction) and the fans in the stands watching that game would back up that coach's reaction with volume.

Harlan Huckleby
01-10-2017, 02:42 PM
The defender only made a dirty spear when you view the play on slow motion replay. In real time he was just tackling. He broke the rule on leading with helmet, he coulda shoulda gotten a flag, but it was just football. Lots of flags go to accidental violations.

BTW, I don't think Jordy should rub some dirt in it and get back out there. I was joking. Trying to play wide receiver with his skill set wearing a flack jacket would be ridiculous. He will likely suck if he tries to play in the superbowl. Geronimo without rib injury is a better player.

pbmax
01-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Can I point out the obvious that the referees are specifically prohibited from calling penalties based on replays at the stadium?

And that it was not reviewable by challenge.

And the Packers were on offense, McCarthy needed to call the next play. And be sure the backup went into the game.

Joemailman
01-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Jordy wouldn't have gotten hurt if MM hadn't called that play.

Fire Fat Mike!!!

Teamcheez1
01-10-2017, 06:28 PM
Jordy wouldn't have gotten hurt if MM hadn't called that play.

Fire Fat Mike!!!

Jordy wouldn't have gotten hurt if he would have caught the ball. He left himself exposed by bobbling the ball along the sidelines.

Harlan Huckleby
01-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Jordy wouldn't have gotten hurt if he would have caught the ball. He left himself exposed by bobbling the ball along the sidelines.

this is a joke, right?

Freak Out
01-10-2017, 07:49 PM
lol. I fucking love this place.

Harlan Huckleby
01-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Idiocy keeps popping up suggesting players should protect themselves from cheap shots. "Matthews should have his head on a swivel." Defenders can't have a swiveling head when they are chasing a runner. "Jordy should have caught the ball." Receivers drop passes, it is a normal part of the game. Players can do little to protect themselves from cheap shots.

pbmax
01-10-2017, 11:59 PM
Idiocy keeps popping up suggesting players should protect themselves from cheap shots. "Matthews should have his head on a swivel." Defenders can't have a swiveling head when they are chasing a runner. "Jordy should have caught the ball." Receivers drop passes, it is a normal part of the game. Players can do little to protect themselves from cheap shots.

There is a practical problem with head swiveling suggestions. Everyone's head is on a swivel, more or less (Jermichael Finley, Sterling Sharpe, Nick Collins).

Limitations with the noggin swivel is that eyesight is still unidirectional.

Patler
01-11-2017, 04:10 AM
I don't think many are blaming Nelson, just lamenting the belief that if he had caught the ball, he wouldn't have been exposed for the injury he received. Sort of "Damn the luck!"

Fritz
01-11-2017, 06:00 AM
I, personally, blame Nelson. For not making the catch, and thus for getting himself hurt. I also believe that Jordy Nelson's dropping of that pass contributed, later in the game, to Ty Montgomery's injury, and to the team's decision to cut Mike Pennel, whose drug problems can also be traced to last year's Jordy Nelson injury, which in fact was Jordy's own fault.

mmmdk
01-11-2017, 06:43 AM
Hey Jordy, can you spare some ribs come sunday?

Upnorth
01-11-2017, 06:58 AM
If he can somehow play Sunday I say we start calling him weapon x. That is one hell of a healing ability to go from fractured ribs to NFL football in a week.

texaspackerbacker
01-11-2017, 07:25 AM
First of all, is it really fractured ribs or something less? I don't think that has definitively been said (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Secondly, much as I hate to see a Packer get hurt, it was just football. It's only relatively recently that sort of hit was even illegal, and it wasn't obvious without replay - which, as was said, isn't supposed to be used to make penalty calls. What would we all be saying if the shoe was on the other foot - our DB hitting somebody else's receiver? Good hit! That's what.

Third, why is it such a big deal for a wideout to wear a flak jacket. That has been going on for decades, and I would assume technology has made them better and less restrictive now. QBs - who more often wear flak jackets - would seem to have more potential problems than receivers.

woodbuck27
01-11-2017, 08:07 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/10/big-fine-should-be-coming-for-leon-hall-but-that-wont-help-packers/

Big fine should be coming for Leon Hall, but that won’t help Packers

Posted by Mike Florio on January 10, 2017, 4:25 PM EST

Packers receiver Jordy Nelson has at least two broken ribs, arising from a helmet to the midsection from Giants defensive back Leon Hall. Hall inexplicably wasn’t flagged. He undoubtedly will be fined.

While that won’t help the Packers on Sunday, when they’ll most likely be forced to proceed without Nelson, a fine would constitute an acknowledgment that referee Ed Hochuli’s mismatched wild-card crew missed a clear foul.

To read the remainder of this ... click on the LINK please.

woodbuck27
01-11-2017, 08:12 AM
Can I point out the obvious that the referees are specifically prohibited from calling penalties based on replays at the stadium?

And that it was not reviewable by challenge.

And the Packers were on offense, McCarthy needed to call the next play. And be sure the backup went into the game.

and Mike McCarthy needed to..... fricken well scream his lungs out at Referee Ed Hochuli, to clean up his crews fricken act.

Maxie the Taxi
01-11-2017, 08:25 AM
First of all, is it really fractured ribs or something less? I don't think that has definitively been said (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

Secondly, much as I hate to see a Packer get hurt, it was just football. It's only relatively recently that sort of hit was even illegal, and it wasn't obvious without replay - which, as was said, isn't supposed to be used to make penalty calls. What would we all be saying if the shoe was on the other foot - our DB hitting somebody else's receiver? Good hit! That's what.

Third, why is it such a big deal for a wideout to wear a flak jacket. That has been going on for decades, and I would assume technology has made them better and less restrictive now. QBs - who more often wear flak jackets - would seem to have more potential problems than receivers.Athletes are funny about wearing anything that they feel will restrict their movements on the field. I remember a bunch of high school athletes I played with that refused to wear kidney pads and thigh pads!

Moreover, I saw on a TV show this week that Aaron Rodgers admitted he doesn't wear a protective cup...ever. To me that's just amazing. I wasn't much of a football player, but I could play baseball. I was a catcher. I would never think of catching a game without a cup. Maybe Harlan could, considering what's there to protect, but I couldn't. ;-)

woodbuck27
01-11-2017, 08:32 AM
Athletes are funny about wearing anything that they feel will restrict their movements on the field. I remember a bunch of high school athletes I played with that refused to wear kidney pads and thigh pads!

Moreover, I saw on a TV show this week that Aaron Rodgers admitted he doesn't wear a protective cup...ever. To me that's just amazing. I wasn't much of a football player, but I could play baseball. I was a catcher. I would never think of catching a game without a cup. Maybe Harlan could, considering what's there to protect, but I couldn't. ;-)

Is this a commentary on who has balls and who doesn't?

Zool
01-11-2017, 08:35 AM
Athletes are funny about wearing anything that they feel will restrict their movements on the field. I remember a bunch of high school athletes I played with that refused to wear kidney pads and thigh pads!

Pretty much no one in the NFL wears a cup. WRs dont wear any thigh or knee pads anymore. All shoulder pads are smaller than ever before. Might be time to get rid of the pads and play rugby style NFL.

Maxie the Taxi
01-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Pretty much no one in the NFL wears a cup. WRs dont wear any thigh or knee pads anymore. All shoulder pads are smaller than ever before. Might be time to get rid of the pads and play rugby style NFL.I new shoulder pads were getting smaller, but I didn't know about the other. So these guys voluntarily decide not to wear pads and then wonder why they get hurt? Another reflection on our culture and their intelligence.

Yeah, either get rid of pads altogether or dress them like the Michelin man. lol

pbmax
01-11-2017, 09:19 AM
They are mandated to wear knee and thigh pads now, because concussions. Players just wear the smallest they can fine.

Cups are still optional I think.

gbgary
01-11-2017, 10:37 AM
They are mandated to wear knee and thigh pads now, because concussions. Players just wear the smallest they can fine.

Rodgers said he doesn't wear one. that no one in the nfl does. you'd at least think the o-line guys would.

QBME
01-13-2017, 10:15 AM
Jordy officially declared out for Sunday

texaspackerbacker
01-13-2017, 10:19 AM

What do knee and thigh pads have to do with concussions?

Pugger
01-13-2017, 10:22 AM

I'm not surprised. He really took a shot there. What I find disturbing is Hall hasn't been fined yet.

Guiness
01-13-2017, 10:30 AM

Was wondering that myself. I think pb is off his meds.

Don't get the cup thing though, are they that much of a restriction? I would think it's mostly mental. I wonder what the problem is...they never bothered me, but then I played hockey, and was also a catcher so I was quite used to them. I get catchers are immobile, but hockey players aren't.

Hell, I still put one on pretty regularly - a friend's kid is a fastball pitcher, I catch for him at practice sometimes, and he (purposely!) puts the ball in the dirt pretty regularly.

Guiness
01-13-2017, 10:30 AM
I'm not surprised. He really took a shot there. What I find disturbing is Hall hasn't been fined yet.

those usually get announced on Fridays, don't they?

gbgary
01-13-2017, 10:33 AM

figured so. * sigh *

pbmax
01-13-2017, 10:40 AM

Was wondering that myself. I think pb is off his meds.

Don't get the cup thing though, are they that much of a restriction? I would think it's mostly mental. I wonder what the problem is...they never bothered me, but then I played hockey, and was also a catcher so I was quite used to them. I get catchers are immobile, but hockey players aren't.

Hell, I still put one on pretty regularly - a friend's kid is a fastball pitcher, I catch for him at practice sometimes, and he (purposely!) puts the ball in the dirt pretty regularly.

Its all under the rubric of player safety, which Roger treats publicly as his greatest calling, but handles like a leaf blower he borrowed from his neighbor.

They are not connected and there is zero evidence they help anything. But Roger like to say player safety. A lot.