PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Rib Assassin Says He Was Not Fined

pbmax
01-13-2017, 02:22 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 13m13 minutes ago
#Giants DB Leon Hall was not fined for the hit he delivered on #Packers WR Jordy Nelson (ribs), source said. Nelson is out for Sunday.

Now woodbuck should go ape.

pbmax
01-13-2017, 02:56 PM
PFT has the worst pic for the hit ever. Its after the fact.

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/ap_17009017995893-e1484340136568.jpg

pbmax
01-13-2017, 02:57 PM
Here you go:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/6lImUkQOkPc/maxresdefault.jpg

pbmax
01-13-2017, 03:01 PM
Or this:

https://localtvwiti.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/untitled110.jpg

pbmax
01-13-2017, 03:03 PM
Lat one I promise unless someone has figured out x-ray vision/bone scanning with a Photoshop plug in:

http://d85wlvt50npt2.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Jordy-Nelson.jpg

texaspackerbacker
01-13-2017, 03:22 PM
If this was a Packer doing the hitting, or even neutral parties that I had no caring for, I would not be in favor of a fine or other disciplinary action.

pbmax
01-13-2017, 03:31 PM
Forget new safety rules, its a cheap shot AND its with his helmet.

Safeties did not always play this way. I would rather watch the spectacular catch attempt and any other hit than this spear.

They should outlaw the use of the helmet in tackling. Back the O and D lineman off the ball by a foot.

Guiness
01-13-2017, 03:35 PM
I'm a little surprised, I wonder if there could still be something coming on this. Seemed pretty clear cut, leading with crown of helmet, defenseless receiver. Add to that the exposure of taking out a starter on a team still playing.

gbgary
01-13-2017, 03:41 PM
can't believe he wasn't fined. shocking.

Patler
01-13-2017, 04:08 PM
I am surprised. The injury alone provides ample evidence for what happened, because neither his shoulder nor arm hit very hard. During the game, Mike P. said a fine would likely be coming.

Dunking the ball - $12,154.00
Spearing Nelson - $0.

texaspackerbacker
01-13-2017, 04:09 PM
Outlawing helmet hits completely would be a major and IMO unnatural change to the game of football. Instead, they should apply technology to making helmets and other equipment more protective. Somebody mentioned the Michelin man in another thread. If they are serious about greatly decreasing head injuries and for that matter, other injuries too, I say never mind how it looks; Conjure up some big balloony foam or whatever filled helmet that would withstand just about anything and at the same time not damage knees, ribs, or whatever else it hits if somebody leads with it. It doesn't seem like that sort of thing would be all that difficult to do. I bet just the weird oversize looks are the main negative. That, to me, is far better than trying to modify behavior and constantly making judgments over violations or not.

Guiness
01-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Outlawing helmet hits completely would be a major and IMO unnatural change to the game of football. Instead, they should apply technology to making helmets and other equipment more protective. Somebody mentioned the Michelin man in another thread. If they are serious about greatly decreasing head injuries and for that matter, other injuries too, I say never mind how it looks; Conjure up some big balloony foam or whatever filled helmet that would withstand just about anything and at the same time not damage knees, ribs, or whatever else it hits if somebody leads with it. It doesn't seem like that sort of thing would be all that difficult to do. I bet just the weird oversize looks are the main negative. That, to me, is far better than trying to modify behavior and constantly making judgments over violations or not.

Such a device already exists, and was previously used in the NFL

Behold
http://www.antiqueathlete.com/antique-football-helmet/leather-football-helmet-rawlings-1.jpg

A few more broken noses and missing teeth, but I bet a lot less concussions.

Harlan Huckleby
01-13-2017, 04:30 PM
What percentage of former NFL players in their 50s do you think are in good health? I mean not limping, or drooling, or having major pain. For guys who played 5 years or more, I guess it is less than half.

SkinBasket
01-13-2017, 04:34 PM
Outlawing helmet hits completely would be a major and IMO unnatural change to the game of football.

LOL. Instead you just want "natural," giant, soft buckets strapped to their heads.

I know you! You were on Tosh.0! Hold on....

http://tosh.mtvnimages.com/images/shows/toshpt0/_SEASON_8_VIDEOTHUMBS/815/tosh_815_bubble_hat.jpg

red
01-13-2017, 04:48 PM

you know, i've wondered about this for years, how to make a safer helmet

the hard plastic is the problem, but its the same thing that protects the wearer, so i don't think you can ditch that. putting soft padding on the outside might be better, but is it enough, and will it look horrible? maybe, you get rid of some of the padding inside, then a hard plastic layer, then maybe a kevlar outer layer, the same stuff the make bullet proof vests out of

so thiner inner soft layer, middle hard plastic layer, and tougher padded outer layer

you have to do something with what has become a weapon these days, you gotta make it safer for the other guys too

red
01-13-2017, 04:57 PM
now this is a cool idea

http://newatlas.com/vicis-zero1-football-helmet/41318/

the outer layer is like a car bumper that bends and gives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hEbl1QhizA

pbmax
01-13-2017, 05:18 PM

The better you make the equipment, the more players use it to make hits.

When helmet technology was less advanced, no one tackled by hitting with their head first.

There were some kill shot artists (Tatum) but it didn't become a league trend until Kenny Easley and Atwater came into the League. Defensive coaches also began to teach players to use their helmet to help force fumbles when creating turnovers became a point of focus.

You stop that, concussions will significantly drop and football changes little. Goes back to better form tackling.

Coaches used to admonish players for going in head first because you couldn't see your target. Go back to being on form.

Guiness
01-13-2017, 05:30 PM

When helmet technology was less advanced, no one tackled by hitting with their head first.

There were some kill shot artists (Tatum) but it didn't become a league trend until Kenny Easley and Atwater came into the League. Defensive coaches also began to teach players to use their helmet to help force fumbles when creating turnovers became a point of focus.

You stop that, concussions will significantly drop and football changes little. Goes back to better form tackling.

Coaches used to admonish players for going in head first because you couldn't see your target. Go back to being on form.

+1 to this. A better helmet would lead to guys MORE willing to lead with their head (fines notwithstanding) and more injuries like the one Nelson suffered.

CaptainKickass
01-13-2017, 06:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlv6BrrxD_4

texaspackerbacker
01-13-2017, 07:01 PM

I got distracted when I wrote that post and didn't finish commenting on your post about past trends. I was gonna mention Tatum and Lott, and even back to Butkis and Nitschke and Sam Huff and back before I was born, Johnny Blood and others I can't even think of. It was S.O.P. back in the day to try and hurt people - really! It's just in the modern era that we get this goody goody crap about everybody respecting each other and not trying to do damage. Back then, respect meant you deemed somebody worth smashing his head in. Nowadays, head hunting is the exception to the rule - and often isn't even intentionally to hurt other players - that is the trend. Back then, it was what it was.

texaspackerbacker
01-13-2017, 07:11 PM

The kind of helmet and other equipment I'm talking about would NOT make it less likely to lead with the head; It would make it more likely, but less deleterious. I recall back when I was in the army, training with what they called "pugil sticks" - big padded things that you did your best to smack the hell out of somebody or spear or ram or whatever, but nobody got hurt because of the padding. I've also seen these things that look like fat suits where people go at it as viciously as their violent instincts desire - and nobody gets hurt. Even sumo wrestling is sorta like that. I'm just talking about something on players' heads, though - a soft helmet about 1 1/2 times the diameter of now that basically does what an air bag does in a car accident. And if people wanted to lead with that, have at it. Knees and ribs and whatever else would be saved too.

RashanGary
01-13-2017, 08:20 PM
Was a good hit. This is football.

Cheesehead Craig
01-13-2017, 09:28 PM
Such bullshit. One more example of Goodell's inconsistencies. Bring back Rozelle!

pbmax
01-13-2017, 10:02 PM
I got distracted when I wrote that post and didn't finish commenting on your post about past trends. I was gonna mention Tatum and Lott, and even back to Butkis and Nitschke and Sam Huff and back before I was born, Johnny Blood and others I can't even think of. It was S.O.P. back in the day to try and hurt people - really! It's just in the modern era that we get this goody goody crap about everybody respecting each other and not trying to do damage. Back then, respect meant you deemed somebody worth smashing his head in. Nowadays, head hunting is the exception to the rule - and often isn't even intentionally to hurt other players - that is the trend. Back then, it was what it was.

I cannot comment from direct experience with Nitschke or Huff. Saw a little of Butkus.

Hurting opponents was a part of the game, same as today. Some moves were legal back in the day that are not now, clothesline or head slap. No rule enacted after that period stopped players from hurting others.

But there was no use of the head like there is today, especially in the open field. Meet the FB in the hole on a dive? Sure. But not on a corner route.

It would not take the injury factor out of the game. It would simply move it down.

No more hitting with the helmet.

pbmax
01-13-2017, 10:02 PM

It was a spear and dumb. Many other, less dangerous options to prevent Nelson from securing the ball. Easily fixed with another technique.

Zool
01-14-2017, 07:28 AM

It's actually a textbook hitting with the crown of the helmet and illegal. Take away the helmet and he never even attempts that sort of hit.

RashanGary
01-14-2017, 09:38 AM
1. Turnovers for touchdowns
2. Long play touchdowns
3. Turnovers that lead to easy touchdowns
4. Turnovers that take away sure points
5. Huge plays that lead to easy touchdowns
6. Turnovers that lead to easy field goals
7. Injuring a good player (qb preferred)
8. Crushing the qb
9. Affecting the quarterbacks head
10. Affecting the skill players heads

After direct scoring plays, beating the shit out of the opponent is the next most impactful thing a team can do. When you take out the head, you take out the body. This was a rib shot, but I would have cheered long and hard if Clinton dix did that to obj.

woodbuck27
01-21-2017, 07:19 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 13m13 minutes ago
#Giants DB Leon Hall was not fined for the hit he delivered on #Packers WR Jordy Nelson (ribs), source said. Nelson is out for Sunday.

Now woodbuck should go ape.

The next step is up to the Green Bay Packers Brass:

https://www.fxguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Apes.jpg

As I view it. It was taking too long for news of the fine to come out. With the way the Green Bay Packers were handling the aftermath of this illegal hit and the extent of the injury to Jordy Nelson I am not surprised there was no fine.

The hit was 'in fact' illegal according to NFL Rules and a player (Packer WR Jordy Nelson) was lost to his team for a future game (s) and thus the NFL should have fined NY Giants Safety Leon Hall.

This is a classic case of 'insult added to injury'. The question I have.: What will the Green Bay Packers 'Brass' do as a follow up to this insult from the NFL's Head Office?

Pugger
01-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Woody, what's with all the ape photos?

woodbuck27
01-21-2017, 09:05 AM

Just something that pbmax posted in post 1 this thread.

A followup on that. Having a little fun. :-)

Cheesehead Craig
01-21-2017, 09:37 AM
The next step is up to the Green Bay Packers Brass:

https://www.fxguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Apes.jpg

As I view it. It was taking too long for news of the fine to come out. With the way the Green Bay Packers were handling the aftermath of this illegal hit and the extent of the injury to Jordy Nelson I am not surprised there was no fine.

The hit was 'in fact' illegal according to NFL Rules and a player (Packer WR Jordy Nelson) was lost to his team for a future game (s) and thus the NFL should have fined NY Giants Safety Leon Hall.

This is a classic case of 'insult added to injury'. The question I have.: What will the Green Bay Packers 'Brass' do as a follow up to this insult from the NFL's Head Office?

I'm sure the Packers spoke to the league office, but if the league won't fine the guy, what do you want them to do? Throw a hissy fit? Because that's SO professional and will accomplish something.

woodbuck27
01-21-2017, 09:52 AM
I'm sure the Packers spoke to the league office, but if the league won't fine the guy, what do you want them to do? Throw a hissy fit? Because that's SO professional and will accomplish something.

What is your proof that the Packers spoke to the league office?

What is with your attitude?

The bottom line is this whole thing stinks and as a Packer fan I have every right to express my disappointment in the matter.

What do I expect the Packers to do?

I expect them to protest the fact no fine was levied against a NY Giant Safety that broke a league rule and seriously injured a star player on the team I support. As a follow up: This matter has to be brought up at the League Meetings so this BS is corrected before next season. The fact the NFL didn't fine Leon Hall is a huge error and injury to the Green Bay Packers; a slap in the face to all we are being told by the NFL that is being done for player safety.

RashanGary
01-21-2017, 09:56 AM
I'd tell you to go watch hockey, but if you can't handle this, you can't handle that. Go watch golf. Nobody ever gets physical on golf. This is just the way physical, attacking sports go.

ThunderDan
01-21-2017, 10:11 AM
What is your proof that the Packers spoke to the league office?

What is with your attitude?

The bottom line is this whole thing stinks and as a Packer fan I have every right to express my disappointment in the matter.

What do I expect the Packers to do?

I expect them to protest the fact no fine was levied against a NY Giant Safety that broke a league rule and seriously injured a star player on the team I support. As a follow up: This matter has to be brought up at the League Meetings so this BS is corrected before next season. The fact the NFL didn't fine Leon Hall is a huge error and injury to the Green Bay Packers; a slap in the face to all we are being told by the NFL that is being done for player safety.

"We object your honor."

"Overruled"

"We strenuously object your honor."

"Overruled"

smuggler
01-21-2017, 12:15 PM
He has defenseless player protections. The blow was made with the helmet first. I don't think it was malicious per-se, but I think he should have been fined in keeping with the way the league enforces its rules.

pbmax
01-21-2017, 01:01 PM
^ They never even commented about the legality. Which means it was either ignored or it was patently legal.

Neither explanation makes much sense.

Harlan Huckleby
01-21-2017, 02:27 PM

Ya, I thought one of Madtown's rules was that families were off limits.

bobblehead
01-21-2017, 02:49 PM
Outlawing helmet hits completely would be a major and IMO unnatural change to the game of football. .

100% untrue. Ask Jim Brown how many times guys lead with the crown of their leather padded helmet. Spearing is a phenomenon that has only come about as helmets got strong and effective enough to protect the idiot doing the spearing.

bobblehead
01-21-2017, 02:49 PM
Such a device already exists, and was previously used in the NFL

Behold
http://www.antiqueathlete.com/antique-football-helmet/leather-football-helmet-rawlings-1.jpg

A few more broken noses and missing teeth, but I bet a lot less concussions.

DAMN YOU GUINESS!!!

woodbuck27
01-22-2017, 02:33 PM
Ya, I thought one of Madtown's rules was that families were off limits.

Hahahahaha.

I forgot that rule. :whaa:

Upnorth
01-28-2017, 09:14 AM
So Arod was fined for his face mask.

Guiness
01-28-2017, 07:37 PM

Might've had something to do with ripping the bitch's helmet off and throwing it away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k53lXhAoMo&t=52s

But dat flop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ITfptCcTUs

pbmax
01-29-2017, 09:31 AM
At least someone was still feeling some fight in that game.

woodbuck27
01-29-2017, 07:26 PM

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGT_N_ECDEWIO1T3nm3qTG4U7SqC6T5 20GAF6-ehuJf5M-0Uli

https://img.ifcdn.com/images/2dd0f9d36cb48e31aa3b4f90db87bceceb1c84b3ec3f029f25 e262615e930888_1.jpg

Stewie is a huge Green Bay Packer fan.

woodbuck27
01-29-2017, 07:39 PM
Looking at the Pro Bowl the NFL may have a field day and league fines for violating the dress code.

All standards have been dropped. :whaa:

Their wearing everything but hula skirts.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEuu_NL6cg7adDqdi0nGYJkkYfQLC-cvSCQKgAV6kQM_u4bRa0eEqbfqaC