PDA

View Full Version : It's Been a Nice Run

Fritz
01-14-2017, 12:20 PM
Before the Dallas game, which will, barring a miracle, be Green Bay's last game of the year, I wanted to say that it's been an interesting and very entertaining season this time around. The early-year struggles in which the offense looked as ineffectual as last year's version, and Rodgers's own struggles (I don't give a damn what the announcers all said; Rodgers was not playing well), made even their early winning record seem in no way reflective of the future.

And then there was that sudden, precipitous, gut-wrenching slide. The defense, supposedly designed to stop the run, couldn't stop Ezekiel Elliot from ramming for seven or eight yards per rush in that Dallas game. Then came the other debacles - Washington, Tennessee - and it all looked gone. We were all posting about whom to fire and whom to draft for next year.

And then there was this weird turnaround that the players said was ever only a play or two away. The slowly increasing confidence, the discovery of Ty Montgomery, the re-emergence of the old Aaron Rodgers. At first it was more injuries and more injuries, but then they began to heal. And though I haven't looked through last year's playoff threads, my sense is that we, as fans, felt that this year's team had more of that 2010 battle-tested juju. Every game already crucial ten games into the season, the bandwagon rolled on and it felt like this year was different. In past years, I felt even after an opening-round win (like against Washington last year) that things were still not right, and we had hope but not much confidence.

This year felt different for fans. This team seems different, seems to have that toughness, that swagger. They are playing well at the right time.

So I wanted to start a thread to say how enjoyable this season's been. I just don't think they can beat Dallas, I really don't, and I'm okay with that.*

It's been a great, fun, entertaining ride, and I feel like this team gave us all they had. So hats off to a fun season. Not what all the "if-you-don't-win-the-SB-the-season's-a-failure" would want, but truly entertaining, and in a good way, this second half. I've enjoyed this season more than any one since the five minutes-left-against-Seattle in 2014 season, and maybe before that, the magical and unexpected 2010 season.

*Unless of course Green Bay has the lead and seems to have control, and then an unfortunate series of dumb plays and ball-sack-shriveling play calls costs the Packers the game. Or if the Packers have the ball with a chance to win on the final possession and don't. Or if Dallas has the ball with a chance to win on the final possession and they do.

Harlan Huckleby
01-14-2017, 12:52 PM
We were all posting about whom to fire and whom to draft for next year.

Don't be so wistful (unintended pun intended.) packerrats will be open for business next week and the good old days will be back.

I agree that the Packer defense gets hammered tomorrow.

Is Geronimo big drop off from Jordy?

Harlan Huckleby
01-14-2017, 12:57 PM
It's been a great, fun, entertaining ride, and I feel like this team gave us all they had. So hats off to a fun season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnQ8N1KacJc

beveaux1
01-14-2017, 01:11 PM
This has been a nice run. It's been a very enjoyable season. It pointed out to me just how fanatical our fans are, myself included. After 7 consecutive years of playoff football, a 4 game losing streak had almost everyone up in arms wondering who should be fired to right the ship. We should have known that the proper people were in place to get us back on track.

I've thought for a long time that the Favre saga had a few of our most outspoken posters looking for a chance to rile up the crowd with the "get rid of TT, get rid of MM, get rid of AR" talk. In an article that Vince referenced, the author Louis Bien says "People love to hate, and one of the best ways to do it is to lie in wait for the first moment your target slips up. Then you begin, hating as loud and as hard as you can, and creating such an encompassing din that whether anyone believes you they can’t hear anything else. You become George Saunders’ braindead megaphone yelling indiscriminately in the middle of the room, and pretty soon you create a reality for everyone around you".

Fortunately, for Packer fans, that throw out the old regime for a new regime discussion has faded. The megaphone is nearly silent. The Packers have not faded and there's at least a chance that next week we'll be preparing to play the Falcons or the Seahawks. All in all, it has been a nice run.

RashanGary
01-14-2017, 01:41 PM
The reverse whammy is complete. Fritz and Bretsky have weighed in. Packers win!!

I remember the 96 season. I remember the 2007 season (not sb year but for some reason I remember that season still). I remember the 2010 season. I barely remember any other season, even last season. I just remember Jordy went down and lacy was fat. I'll probably forget what year that was a few years from now. But this season has the feel of one of those special ones, one that I really got attached to and love watching. The Packers have something special going. Randall is healthy and practicing for the first time in months so he's gonna play to his very high ability, I just know it. Our weakness is being patched right at the last minute like starks in 2010. This feels like a special year!!

texaspackerbacker
01-14-2017, 01:56 PM
hahahaha It seems like some people are exhibiting a little bit of timidity that manifests itself in an anti-homer way.

Fritz, you opening post is heartfelt and kinda nostalgic. Your description of the slide and the turnaround seem accurate. It's just your conclusion that is faulty. It has indeed been a great run! - going all the way back to the early Favre years with virtually no interruption. I, for one, though, don't see it ending - not with this game, and win or lose, not with this year.

I've said many times, the leadership has not maximized things - we literally could have and should have been the absolute best all through the Aaron Rodgers years, and we haven't quite been. We have been damn good, though, and I expect it to continue tomorrow and beyond.

Bretsky
01-14-2017, 02:36 PM
FIGURED I'D PASTE THIS HERE SO PEOPLE CAN MOCK ME WHEN IF I"M ALL WRONG

I see everybody is Drunk on Homer Juice; here comes some reality tea.

Dallas front is going to control our DL....simply put there are just way better. Eliott tears is up and Dom is forced to use some extreme measure to try to stop him...includeing some rush blitzes that leave us vulnerable elsewhere. This hurts our pass rush and outside contain...as Dak Prescott uses a combo of his passing and rushing to have a very effective day.

AROD has a very nice day and having a TE gives our offense a great assist. But in the end Dallas is simply put a better team. Here are Ten Predictions for Game Day

1. Red is intoxicated throwing mass profanities during the game regarding our defense
2. Wist shows up blaming Dom Capers and his lack of creativity for everything
3. Dom has to play some serous chess matches to figure out how to contain Eliot which includes some run blitzes
4. Clay Matthews sees quite a bit of time at ILB to try to stop Eliot
5. Moving Matthews insides aids in Zak Prescott having a nice running day as we lose outside contain on some key third downs
6. AROD has a nice day and puts up about300 yards and 30 points, but Dallas puts up more
7. Jarred Cook impacts this game and we're pounding the table for an extension
8. Davante Adams and another each drop at least one key pass
9. Green Bay loses the turnover battle --1
10. Bretsky offers a simple solution for next year; hire Eliot Wolf and bump TT permanently to the film room

red
01-14-2017, 03:58 PM
we've been one loss away from our season being over for about 8 weeks now

its like we've been in the playoffs for 2 months

why give up now?

The Shadow
01-14-2017, 06:18 PM
Sometimes center stage is taken over by a special player. We are lucky to have a tremendous talent - at the most critical position. Rodgers has the opportunity in this game (or for the rest of the run) to make magic. It will be tough - but he's a special player.

Cheesehead Craig
01-14-2017, 06:54 PM

why give up now?

Truth.

Bretsky
01-14-2017, 08:13 PM
Will TT's run be known as just another Fart in the Wind or More ???????

Netmag
01-14-2017, 09:06 PM

why give up now?

Exactly, it'll be over when it's over. Right now we have just as good a chance as anyone else. Yes, the Cowboys handled us easy at home, but:
1. They're just a football team
2. We are capable of beating any team on a given day
3. I still think it's really hard to beat a team twice in a season
4. We had Atlanta pretty much beat if I remember and blew it at the end and it seems a lot of people think Atlanta is better than the Cryboys

I'm not getting cocky or expecting victory, but I'm not going to assume we're shitting the bed for sure either. Maybe we'll struggle or maybe we'll continue our streak and show up strong.

Patler
01-14-2017, 10:42 PM

Like Schneider's?

Bretsky
01-15-2017, 01:08 AM
Like Schneider's?

How many more years does Schneider need to catch up to TT's longevity ?

Zool
01-15-2017, 07:55 AM

Probably. Just like Wolfs was.

Pugger
01-15-2017, 08:26 AM
This has been a nice run. It's been a very enjoyable season. It pointed out to me just how fanatical our fans are, myself included. After 7 consecutive years of playoff football, a 4 game losing streak had almost everyone up in arms wondering who should be fired to right the ship. We should have known that the proper people were in place to get us back on track.

I've thought for a long time that the Favre saga had a few of our most outspoken posters looking for a chance to rile up the crowd with the "get rid of TT, get rid of MM, get rid of AR" talk. In an article that Vince referenced, the author Louis Bien says "People love to hate, and one of the best ways to do it is to lie in wait for the first moment your target slips up. Then you begin, hating as loud and as hard as you can, and creating such an encompassing din that whether anyone believes you they can’t hear anything else. You become George Saunders’ braindead megaphone yelling indiscriminately in the middle of the room, and pretty soon you create a reality for everyone around you".

Fortunately, for Packer fans, that throw out the old regime for a new regime discussion has faded. The megaphone is nearly silent. The Packers have not faded and there's at least a chance that next week we'll be preparing to play the Falcons or the Seahawks. All in all, it has been a nice run.

I hope it doesn't reappear should we lose tonight. This has been a fun ride. What we are witnessing with the play of Rodgers is historic. But no matter what happens this post season we really shouldn't be putting all the burden on AR being Superman for us to win. We have to fix this defense, get a reliable running game and change the scheme so Rodgers doesn't have to extend plays for several seconds to enable our WRs to get open going forward.

ThunderDan
01-15-2017, 08:37 AM

How many Super Bowls do you need to win and what winning percentage do you need to not be considered a fart in the wind?

If we somehow win the Super Bowl will this be another lucky run by TT or MM because it has been 6 years between apperances?

Fritz
01-15-2017, 10:33 AM
Really, Bretsky, we all want to know: how much will it take for the fart in the wind to become a shit in the toilet?

George Cumby
01-15-2017, 07:34 PM
Fritz, keep up the magic, you nattering nabob, you. ;)

Joemailman
01-15-2017, 07:38 PM
Still running.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/m8FNTa-xMYc/maxresdefault.jpg