PDA

View Full Version : Thompson for President in 2021

Spaulding
01-15-2017, 08:32 PM
Been silent for a long time and just wanted to serve up a bit heaping of crow it to all those Thompson doubters. Time after time fans rail of his snail like approach to free agency and his failings in the first round on DL. However I can think of time after time that Thompson made the right move and allowed this franchise a shot to make the playoffs each year (where I firmly believe it's a GM's job to get the team there and let the coaching staff turn it into a SB appearance):

I won't go into the activity at the start of his career as you either think he was smart in his pick of Rodgers or you think he lucked out that he dropped that far, my words in this thread won't change your view. So I'll focus on the decisions since the 2011 Super Bowl run that lead to the momentous victory last week and this week:

1) 2011 - Drafting of Randall Cobb
2) 2012 - Drafting of Mike Daniels
3) 2013 - Resigning Mason Crosby when many fans wanted him gone after his sub 65% success rate, oh and he drafted a stud of LT in Bak and the defensive player of the game in Hyde
4) 2014 - Drafted HaHa, Richard Rodgers, Adams, Linsley and special teams ace Janis
5) 2015 - Resigned Cobb and Bulaga and drafted Montgomery
6) 2016 - Signed FA Cook

Obviously I'm cheery picking here but I could go on and on about his approach to not breaking the bank, valuing locker room chemistry and rewarding your own, etc.

I still recall the beginning of the year being shocked he let Sitton go without any draft pick in compensation but Taylor has played well this season and at a much cheaper cost. Another win for Thompson.

I firmly believe it's the GM's job to put a team in position to be competitive each season and fill roster holes and that it's up to the coaching staff to turn that into wins and a possible Super Bowl.

Anyways, I'm done with my soap box and just look forward to going into the office tomorrow and waiting for the passive aggressive Vikings fans all around me to start something :)

Go Pack Go!!!

bobblehead
01-15-2017, 08:33 PM
Cook doesn't count as a FA signing because no one else wanted him. Only signing albert haynsworth would have counted (and fucked us).

Harlan Huckleby
01-15-2017, 08:35 PM
If Thompson becomes president, does that open slot for new GM?

bobblehead
01-15-2017, 08:37 PM

Sort of...but Trump becomes interim GM until we find someone else.

gbgary
01-15-2017, 09:26 PM
i'll vote for him if it gets him away from GB.

Bretsky
01-16-2017, 12:46 AM

I'll vote TT as president then
He's a good GM

Bretsky
01-16-2017, 12:47 AM
Bump the thread when he loses the Fart in the Wind TItle
We win the SB, and like the last time, I'll hold off on any TT criticism for two years

RashanGary
01-16-2017, 05:17 AM
Bump the thread when he loses the Fart in the Wind TItle
We win the SB, and like the last time, I'll hold off on any TT criticism for two years

If we win a 2nd Super Bowl I think you just have to admit he's better than wolf and a great GM

mmmdk
01-16-2017, 09:20 AM
2021...that's a long wait with no real president of the US of A.

Spaulding
01-16-2017, 12:15 PM
Just think how quiet and awkward the SNL skits would be if he was President. It still boggles my mind that some people think he has an ego. The man simply does his job and does it well and is otherwise reserved and content to stay in the background which for some reason is often construed as egotistical. He isn't without faults given his failure early on the OL decisions and some of his failed first round DL's but overall it would be interesting if somebody had the time and dedication to come up with GM success rates on picks over the last decade and see where he stays. I'm guessing easily top five.

vince
01-16-2017, 12:41 PM
He's the best passer I've ever seen. (http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-insider-inbox/article-1/Hes-the-best-passer-Ive-ever-seen/738e5dc0-ce30-4124-a790-fe68481d13c0)

Vic, it appears Ted knows what he is doing in free agency. I feel Peppers and Cook have been key to our winning streak. Do you think fans will now believe in draft and develop with a key signing now and again?

The savvy fans get it. They understand the nuances of the salary cap and roster turnover, and the devastating long-term impact a big free-agent contract gone bad can have on a team. The I-want-it-now fans will never get it because they lack appreciation for the total game. Their vision is narrow. They see only player-acquisition and play-calling.