PDA

View Full Version : Dom Genius

pbmax
01-17-2017, 09:07 AM
Here ya go Bretsky!

Down 28-13 with just over seven minutes remaining in the third quarter, the Cowboys lined up on second-and-1 in single back, with three receivers in a bunch look on the left and a tight end on the right. Then something happened that set off a chain reaction in three magnificent football brains.

Dallas sent one of those three receivers in motion to the right side of the formation. Immediately, safety Kentrell Brice sprinted up into the box to join the rest of the defense. That’s because Packers coordinator Dom Capers wanted to force the Cowboys to beat them throwing the ball, and secondary coaches Darren Perry and Joe Whitt Jr. had spent time going over this specific formation—stacked receivers with a single back and the QB under center—with the understanding that it usually means a run-pass option, and the pass is a bubble screen to a receiver behind the line of scrimmage.

Cornerback Damarious Randall could see it all happening from his spot on the other side of the formation. “We knew whenever they got into that stack formation they’re getting into it to run the ball,” Randall said. “But if they see we have more numbers in the box, they’ll throw out the run. We just knew that was coming.”

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/16/packers-cowboys-micah-hyde-interception-significance

pbmax
01-17-2017, 09:08 AM
I love this game!

Joemailman
01-17-2017, 09:28 AM
Cornerback Damarious Randall could see it all happening from his spot on the other side of the formation. “We knew whenever they got into that stack formation they’re getting into it to run the ball,” Randall said. “But if they see we have more numbers in the box, they’ll throw out the run. We just knew that was coming.”

This is essentially what happened on Al Harris' game winning INT against Seattle in the playoffs. Packers had noticed that in short yardage situations that if the defense brought a safety up in the box, Hasselbeck would audible out of the run and call a quick out. Al Harris kmew what was coming

denverYooper
01-17-2017, 11:12 AM
Despite the fact that Rodgers threw an INT, Hyde's play slowed the Cowboys comeback way down. The drive on which the interception occurred started at 11:25 in the 3rd Q and they didn't end up scoring until 11:39 in the 4th Q.

Joemailman
01-17-2017, 11:20 AM

Shouldn't the title of this thread be Dam Genius?

gbgary
01-17-2017, 11:40 AM
it's fucking chess with helmets out there.

Tony Oday
01-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Why was Josh Hawkins out there? Seemed like he got run in the 4th.

pbmax
01-17-2017, 12:36 PM
Despite the fact that Rodgers threw an INT, Hyde's play slowed the Cowboys comeback way down. The drive on which the interception occurred started at 11:25 in the 3rd Q and they didn't end up scoring until 11:39 in the 4th Q.

Yep. While Rodgers subsequent TDception gave back the possession advantage, the INT and subsequent drive worked like a punt and took almost 5 minutes off the clock.

Boys were on the GB 19 with 7:19 left and got the ball back at DAL 38 with 2:31 left.

pbmax
01-17-2017, 12:37 PM
Why was Josh Hawkins out there? Seemed like he got run in the 4th.

Yeah, I think Dan mentioned he became the Dime after Burnett's injury.

gbgary
01-17-2017, 01:04 PM
Yep. While Rodgers subsequent TDception gave back the possession advantage, the INT and subsequent drive worked like a punt and took almost 5 minutes off the clock.

Boys were on the GB 19 with 7:19 left and got the ball back at DAL 38 with 2:31 left.

yup...a punt. that's what i called it too at the time.

Tony Oday
01-17-2017, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I think Dan mentioned he became the Dime after Burnett's injury.

Damn thought they shot Randall

pbmax
01-17-2017, 01:15 PM
Damn thought they shot Randall

I thought they benched him after the "hey where is the safety help" look in the end zone play.

Tony Oday
01-17-2017, 01:54 PM
I thought they benched him after the "hey where is the safety help" look in the end zone play.

He has that look when he sits on the bench and misses the gatorade bottle

Smidgeon
01-17-2017, 03:11 PM
it's fucking chess with helmets out there.

People ask me why I like football when in many other senses, I'm a total nerd/geek/not-football person. And that has always been my answer. Football is the most complex game of chess imaginable. It's your absolute best play at that moment against their absolute best play at the moment, in context with all other plays you've performed historically, they've performed historically, what you want to do later, and what they might do later.

Joemailman
01-17-2017, 03:16 PM
McGinn:

On the other side, Damarious Randall (67) was awful. Maybe he’s hurt; on Saturday, he was added to the injury report (foot). He was late lining up at times, wasn’t in proper football position and offering little or no challenge to receivers. His run support was non-existent. Even Witten was doing whatever he wanted to Randall. The Packers can be expected to do everything possible so Quinten Rollins starts at LC.

Randall was benched earlier this year for not even getting lined up properly. Starting to wonder if this guy is coachable.

pbmax
01-17-2017, 03:29 PM
McGinn:

Randall was benched earlier this year for not even getting lined up properly. Starting to wonder if this guy is coachable.

Might not be a fan of playing hurt. Or he may never have had to buckle down and be consistent with his technique.

run pMc
01-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Randall has had about 3-4 different injuries this season. I know he's not playing well, but he's gutting it out for a team with a decimated secondary. I can only imagine how tough it is trying to cover elite athletes a few weeks after surgery. He's playing hurt and that's why he's playing so far off and tackling poorly.
As much as it sounds like I'm on his bandwagon, the guy needs to play better. Thing is I don't think that will happen until next season.

I think the team hopes Rollins can play so they don't have to rely in Randall as much; maybe the concussion has helped heal up the groin injury he rushed back from.

Joemailman
01-17-2017, 07:17 PM
Might not be a fan of playing hurt. Or he may never have had to buckle down and be consistent with his technique.

I think it's probably the latter. The thing is though, if you're not 100% physically, using good technique is probably even more important.

Bretsky
01-17-2017, 07:32 PM
WHERE IS WIST ????

Bretsky
01-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Thx PB; I try not to pimp too much...but Dom is a decent DC
Give him players; he gives you a defense
But it's miracle we're in the Final Four and it's partly because a lil DomGenius has come out lately

Joemailman
01-17-2017, 07:37 PM
WHERE IS WIST ????

He last posted on New Years Day. Blasting Dunderdummy as usual.

King Friday
01-17-2017, 09:13 PM
Wist won't show up now...he knows his arguments look like the complete drivel that they are. Despite all the injuries they've sustained, the Packers defense just held down the healthy Cowboy offense to win one of the most epic games of the year. Dom Capers has done an excellent job of holding this defense together, considering he is putting Gunter up against the best WRs in the NFL. Capers isn't the best DC in the league, but his experience and organization have been huge during the second half of this season.

If the Packers lose, Wist will be on here in 3 minutes spouting his lame ass diatribe. In my book, that's called being a pussy...he isn't willing to be here and take the lumps when his viewpoint is being proven incorrect on the field.

Tony Oday
01-17-2017, 09:21 PM
The Packers Defense was barely an ant in front of a tank. Dak doesn't play like a rookie the first half we lose and lose big.

King Friday
01-17-2017, 09:41 PM
The Packers Defense was barely an ant in front of a tank. Dak doesn't play like a rookie the first half we lose and lose big.

So who won again?

Bossman641
01-17-2017, 09:49 PM
Wist won't show up now...he knows his arguments look like the complete drivel that they are. Despite all the injuries they've sustained, the Packers defense just held down the healthy Cowboy offense to win one of the most epic games of the year. Dom Capers has done an excellent job of holding this defense together, considering he is putting Gunter up against the best WRs in the NFL. Capers isn't the best DC in the league, but his experience and organization have been huge during the second half of this season.

If the Packers lose, Wist will be on here in 3 minutes spouting his lame ass diatribe. In my book, that's called being a pussy...he isn't willing to be here and take the lumps when his viewpoint is being proven incorrect on the field.

I hope he isn't having health issues or anything like that, but ya I agree it would be lame if he shows up after they lose. Guess they'll just have to keep winning.

ptisme
01-17-2017, 10:17 PM
Thx PB; I try not to pimp too much...but Dom is a decent DC
Give him players; he gives you a defense
But it's miracle we're in the Final Four and it's partly because a lil DomGenius has come out lately

No... The results indicate he's not even an average DC and is the reason Rodgers doesn't have three Lombardi's by now. They have seven former first rounders on that defense. But he'll never leave because MM loves him..

Here's an idea: Instead of drafting defensive players in the top of the draft every year, why not dedicate the first three rounds to offensive players. Skill position guys, a young stud TE behind Cook.. Young oline guys with talent. Create an offense that cannot be defensed.

Does it matter if street free agents are playing defense? They really can't get worse!

ptisme
01-17-2017, 10:19 PM
So who won again?

Aaron Rodgers and Mason Crosby won...

vince
01-17-2017, 10:44 PM
Yeah it's great to see preparation and football IQ pay off like that. Hopefully the defense can continue to slow down the opposition just enough to allow Rodgers to outscore the other guys.

Since Seattle, it's been big plays here and there that have allowed it to happen. They HAVE to somehow get to the QB this weekend. If not, the offense will probably need to put up 40+.

Unless this is Dom's statement game... He's gonna shock the world with an exotic Big Nickel package with some kind of Black Rhino subterfuge that stops the run and gets to the QB to force some defensive big plays...

texaspackerbacker
01-17-2017, 11:47 PM
I said in the Cowboys game the Packers would play two deep to stop the big play, sell out to stop the run, try to contain Dak, and single cover the receivers. They basically did that with a little bit of zone thrown in for change of pace - taking a chance the Cowboys could beat them with short and mid-range passes. For the Falcon game, I see the Packers being more creative with the pass rush, alternating that with doing more double coverage, especially on Jones. If the Falcons guess right, we could get beat for a couple of big plays that way, but we should be able to get sacks on Ryan and maybe a pick or two or three. I could see us getting gashed on runs, as I doubt the Packers load up to stop that in this game. If Aaron Rodgers and our O get off to a good start, hopefully they can make the Falcon RBs a non-factor.

3irty1
01-18-2017, 09:00 AM
Feels to me like Dom is the coaching version of MacGyver.

Give him some tinfoil, a string, and a staple gun and he'll build a weapon to defeat all the communists. Give him an assault rifle and he'll disassemble it and improvise a shittier weapon from the parts.

texaspackerbacker
01-18-2017, 09:55 AM
Feels to me like Dom is the coaching version of MacGyver.

Give him some tinfoil, a string, and a staple gun and he'll build a weapon to defeat all the communists. Give him an assault rifle and he'll disassemble it and improvise a shittier weapon from the parts.

+1

RashanGary
01-18-2017, 10:14 AM
It's fucked up that people are supposed to be fans of a team but only show up when it's going bad. Or else show up to belittle the GM when he wins year after year after year after year. It's crazy!

pbmax
01-18-2017, 10:34 AM
I said in the Cowboys game the Packers would play two deep to stop the big play, sell out to stop the run, try to contain Dak, and single cover the receivers. They basically did that with a little bit of zone thrown in for change of pace - taking a chance the Cowboys could beat them with short and mid-range passes. For the Falcon game, I see the Packers being more creative with the pass rush, alternating that with doing more double coverage, especially on Jones. If the Falcons guess right, we could get beat for a couple of big plays that way, but we should be able to get sacks on Ryan and maybe a pick or two or three. I could see us getting gashed on runs, as I doubt the Packers load up to stop that in this game. If Aaron Rodgers and our O get off to a good start, hopefully they can make the Falcon RBs a non-factor.

They played a lot of safety in the box on downs favorable to running to get the Cowboys to choose to throw.

ptisme
01-18-2017, 11:08 AM
+1

Who are you referring to?Wrong person.. Sorry

ptisme
01-18-2017, 11:10 AM
It's fucked up that people are supposed to be fans of a team but only show up when it's going bad. Or else show up to belittle the GM when he wins year after year after year after year. It's crazy!

Who are you referring to?