PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here have stats on how often an Nfl team beats another 2x in 1 season

jklowan
01-17-2017, 05:15 PM
Cannot find anything, although I am admittedly an internet idiot...

thanks in advance

texaspackerbacker
01-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Given that you play division rivals twice a season, I would think it is a pretty large number.

I, too, will let somebody more tech savvy look it up.

hoosier
01-17-2017, 07:48 PM
With teams that are evenly matched it happens 50% of the time. When one team is better than the other, it happens more often.

jklowan
01-18-2017, 07:27 AM
Given that you play division rivals twice a season, I would think it is a pretty large number.

I, too, will let somebody more tech savvy look it up.

I will then pick through to find out how often the second victory happened in the post season, seems odd that this stat doesn't exist. I am thinking it will be a small percentage

Smidgeon
01-18-2017, 07:57 AM
We were talking about that stat a lot during the Super Bowl run because we hit the Bears for a third time.

vince
01-18-2017, 08:09 AM
I couldn't really find anything usable but my gut says it's more common that the team winning the first game also wins the second.

Turnovers, big plays and key injuries can turn the tide but football is about matching up vs. the opponent and teams that don't match-up well against an opponent the first time usually don't match up any better the second go-round.

jklowan
01-18-2017, 09:11 AM
It's so weird I found stats on the 3rd win it actually has happened only 17 times since 1950 and the rate of victory was high. It seems weird that this stat apparently is no where to be found, but I hear a lot of talk about how hard it is to beat a good quarterback twice in the same year but cannot find any stats. Winning twice I'm guessing can be high as if you face the same QB TWICE AND THEY STINK IT WOULD REALLY throw the stat off, but when you face the team the second time in the post season would seem to weed out that and open it up to the conference instead of just your own division.

texaspackerbacker
01-18-2017, 09:53 AM
17 times since 1950 seems like a LOT for beating the same team thrice, especially since they didn't go to the expanded playoffs until what, the 70s? I say again, beating the same team twice in a season, I would think, would happen a ton of times - whether or not one of the wins is in the playoffs.