PDA

View Full Version : Demovsky - Shields Done in Green Bay

vince
01-18-2017, 10:56 AM
Not surprising but this appears like it could be unofficial confirmation of the expected anyway...

Sam Shields, the Packers' former No. 1 cornerback, will be done in Green Bay. The Packers will release Shields, who hasn't played since Week 1 because of a concussion that landed him on injured reserve. It was his second concussion in nine months and the fourth known concussion of his NFL career, which began in 2010. He has one year left on the four-year, $39 million deal he signed in 2014, and the Packers would save $9 million on next year's salary cap if they let him go. The move might force them to draft another cornerback high, even as high as the first round. -- Rob Demovsky

ptisme
01-18-2017, 11:11 AM
They will have to draft multiple cornerbacks. Rollins is still in the concussion protocol and Randall looks like a bust..

Cheesehead Craig
01-18-2017, 01:02 PM
It's a real strong draft for CBs from what I've read.

Tony Oday
01-18-2017, 01:10 PM
Randall is a bust this year but it sometimes takes CBs a bit to develop.

HarveyWallbangers
01-18-2017, 01:15 PM
According to Over the Cap, cutting Shields and James Starks will put the Packers at ~$48M under the cap. They'll want to resign guys like T.J. Lang, Nick Perry, and Jared Cook and perhaps Micah Hyde, J.C. Tretter, Datone Jones, Eddie Lacy to reasonable deals, but they have great flexibility. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers sign another prominent free agent or two.

RashanGary
01-18-2017, 01:26 PM
I think Lang is done

Upnorth
01-18-2017, 01:34 PM
So any rumors as to potential FA CB's this off season?

HarveyWallbangers
01-18-2017, 02:33 PM
So any rumors as to potential FA CB's this off season?

There isn't much at CB. A.J. Bouye is probably the top player available. It sounds like the draft is deep at CB though.

RB has Le'Veon Bell, Latavius Murray, and probably Adrian Peterson. Eddie Lacy could be resigned.

DL looks pretty strong in free agency. Both edge guys and interior guys.

gbgary
01-18-2017, 02:40 PM
I think Lang is done

he's 29, part of the #1 pass blocking group in the nfl. why do you think he's done?

vince
01-18-2017, 02:47 PM
There isn't much at CB. A.J. Bouye is probably the top player available. It sounds like the draft is deep at CB though.

RB has Le'Veon Bell, Latavius Murray, and probably Adrian Peterson. Eddie Lacy could be resigned.

DL looks pretty strong in free agency. Both edge guys and interior guys.
I like Gilmore from Buffalo who I believe will be on the market unless franchised by the Bills.

red
01-18-2017, 05:07 PM
i called this over a year ago

Joemailman
01-18-2017, 05:16 PM
The Packers will draft CORDREA TANKERSLEY of Clemson with their 1st round pick.

pbmax
01-18-2017, 05:29 PM
The Packers will draft CORDREA TANKERSLEY of Clemson with their 1st round pick.

Tank's offspring?

The Shadow
01-18-2017, 05:30 PM
Shields will always have my respect after ending at least 2 Bears games with interceptions.
Too early to write of Randall, but yes, draft another corner high in the draft.

red
01-18-2017, 05:34 PM
yup, we need an infusion

draft a guy and maybe someone makes the mistake of cutting a #1 corner, cause we could use one of those, and it sure as shit ain't gonna be randall

vince
01-18-2017, 05:39 PM
yup, we need an infusion

draft a guy and maybe someone makes the mistake of cutting a quality receiver, cause we could use one of those, and it sure as shit ain't gonna be adams!
Randall is a huge question at this point, but with all his injuries this year, history strongly suggests that it's premature/wrong to write a talented player off this soon.

Spaulding
01-18-2017, 05:42 PM
That 48mil estimate sounded like a lot but based on the following URL (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2017/ (http://http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2017/)) it's lost some of it's luster compared to some of the available space for other teams. Tentatively thinking the following for the Packer FA's (correct me if way off):

- T.J. Lang (likely resign provided he gives some type of hometown discount given his high level of play and toughness and consumate teammate)
- Nick Perry (strong possibility of being gone in a bidding war unless do resign him before he hits the market)
- Jared Cook (seems like the perfect marriage here and so guessing 3-4 year reasonable deal)
- Micah Hyde (guessing he resigns as I think the Packers view him higher than the league does but maybe I'm wrong)
- J.C. Tretter (likely gone for starters money elsewhere)
- Datone Jones (just another guy and so if resigned, would be team friendly contract)
- Eddie Lacy (when healthy and lean a difference maker, unfortunately the changes of that are minimal and so unless it's a team friendly contract - likely gone)

Joemailman
01-18-2017, 05:43 PM
Vince, are you somehow trying to suggest that people are writing off Randall just like they wrote off Adams last year?

vince
01-18-2017, 05:50 PM
I'm trying Joe but I'm not holding my breath either.

red
01-18-2017, 05:53 PM
Randall is a huge question at this point, but with all his injuries this year, history strongly suggests that it's premature/wrong to write a talented player off this soon.

except he repeatedly has showed us that his problems aren't physical, its between his ears

pbmax
01-18-2017, 06:23 PM
How much do we save by cutting the other two scapegoats Burnett and Hyde?

red
01-18-2017, 07:06 PM
hyde is a free agent and we would save 5.35 million by cutting burnett, something i think i said we should have done 2 or 3 years ago. he only ever looked good next to nick collins

Bretsky
01-18-2017, 07:16 PM
Are you guys Nutso ? At times Burnett has been a better ILB than guys we've started. Dude has talent and is versatile and has a brain. Gotta keep him

red
01-18-2017, 07:54 PM
or we can just continue to try and find a real ILB through the draft instead of sign one or keep an undersized one

Joemailman
01-18-2017, 08:18 PM
Are you guys Nutso ? At times Burnett has been a better ILB than guys we've started. Dude has talent and is versatile and has a brain. Gotta keep him

Agreed. Defense deteriorated when he went out Sunday. He's one of the best players on this defense.

KYPack
01-18-2017, 10:23 PM
Red, Burnett is a class act Sty. Capers deployed him perfectly, some of his duties included him being playing ILB or cover 3 Lurk. That was a great call by DC the DC. With Earl Thomas out, Dix and Burnett are one of the top 3 S tandems in the NFL. We need to keep him, wouldn't take that much money to put together an effective package to retain his services.

KYPack
01-18-2017, 10:35 PM
There are teams in a total state of flux with Franchise movement and new regimes coming in. San Diego is all fucked up, Jacksonville is all turned out. Even Denver is a stew right now good. This is a premier year up good to pick up an effective player who has been squeezed, a guy who could help our ball club. The odds are pretty good that we can scoop up a guy like CWood, Pep, or Cook. The goofy organization's will make mistakes and we'll be in positions to gather some solid players that can give us a boost.

HarveyWallbangers
01-18-2017, 11:39 PM
I don't see much difference between the play of Burnett and Ha-Ha. I think they are pretty equal. Ha-Ha is a big name player and got into the Pro Bowl on name recognition. He's good, but he still has holes in his game.

RashanGary
01-19-2017, 12:22 AM
I don't see much difference between the play of Burnett and Ha-Ha. I think they are pretty equal. Ha-Ha is a big name player and got into the Pro Bowl on name recognition. He's good, but he still has holes in his game.

Mostly true. I feel like haha hits a little harder. Very similar players though. Neither is a true stud like Nick Collins or Earl Thomas who can cover the backend all by himself. Both together adds up to a real strength for us though.

Upnorth
01-19-2017, 08:47 AM
How much do we save by cutting the other two scapegoats Burnett and Hyde?

I can't believe you are stating this pb, Burnett is incredibly important to our defence, and hyde has flexibility. I could only support a move on hyde if we could some how get our cb's situatuion solved, but with shields done, it won't be this year I think.

Smidgeon
01-19-2017, 09:44 AM
I can't believe you are stating this pb, Burnett is incredibly important to our defence, and hyde has flexibility. I could only support a move on hyde if we could some how get our cb's situatuion solved, but with shields done, it won't be this year I think.

He was being sarcastic or "trolling" in the modern vernacular. Everyone knows how important Hyde was in this game, and by omission, we know how important Burnett was too.

pbmax
01-19-2017, 10:38 AM

I wanted red to start ranting about two of his favorite scapegoats.

red
01-19-2017, 12:28 PM

i have never been a fan of burnett, i always remember him being about 2 or 3 steps too slow on help all the time

hyde, i don't mind so much

bobblehead
01-19-2017, 01:05 PM
i have never been a fan of burnett, i always remember him being about 2 or 3 steps too slow on help all the time

I've never been a burnett fan either, mainly cuz I think he hits like a pussy and early on I thought he made mental mistakes. That being said he is an adequate tackler and to be honest without an overhead view and knowing the coverage calls I couldn't say for sure if he is out of position. The way MM loves his smart guys and loves burnett, I have to believe he isn't out of position very often.

Upnorth
01-19-2017, 01:35 PM

whoops, i missed the meaning. mea culpa

pbmax
01-19-2017, 01:42 PM

That is fair, red for Burnett. Skin for Hyde, and he has covered that elsewhere already :lol:

pbmax
01-19-2017, 01:42 PM
whoops, i missed the meaning. mea culpa

Just stirring the pot I am !

and not helping at all :D

Fritz
01-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Shields's career, in some ways, reminds me of Jermichael Finley's - some moments of brilliance, but injuries and then an injury causing a sudden end.

Sam, we hardly knew ye. But that may be because we were smoking ye's pot and can't remember shit.

Sparkey
01-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Nab Zach Cunningham in the 1st of he is there when they pick unless Sydney Jones is available.

George Cumby
01-19-2017, 02:24 PM
I'm sorry to hear this but it's not unexpected. I'm mostly sorry cause I don't want the guy to suffer too much in the future.

But what a career. Iirc, he was a UDFA or drafted very low, was a WR in college and was turned into a CB. He got a Super Bowl Ring and played in a ton of meaningful games.

And what a testament to the Packs scouting, coaching and front office.

Sorry to see him go and I hope he's ok.

gbgary
01-19-2017, 04:07 PM
we don't need to be cutting ANYONE (except janis lol) without having someone better already in the fold. you don't cut burnett and hyde is just getting better every year. besides we're not remotely close to having to cut someone for monetary reasons.

gbgary
01-19-2017, 04:09 PM
Shields's career, in some ways, reminds me of Jermichael Finley's - some moments of brilliance, but injuries and then an injury causing a sudden end.

Sam, we hardly knew ye. But that may be because we were smoking ye's pot and can't remember shit.

i think sam had a much better run than fin.

run pMc
01-19-2017, 05:26 PM
Sam had a better run than Fin. Too bad about the concussions, but I'm not surprised. Hell of a player.
Burnett is a keeper.
Hyde is ok...he's not a starter, but he's a swiss army knife type player.
Randall will get better. He's had multiple injuries this year and it's affected both his confidence and performance. I certainly wouldn't write him off as bust...h's made a few good plays this year: the stop vs. JAX and the pick against SEA come to mind. I don't think he's a #1 shutdown CB, but he's worth keeping.

Pugger
01-19-2017, 05:32 PM

The defense needs both guys out there. We saw how Dallas started to have success once Burnett left the game.

KYPack
01-19-2017, 09:01 PM
I've never been a burnett fan either, mainly cuz I think he hits like a pussy and early on I thought he made mental mistakes. That being said he is an adequate tackler and to be honest without an overhead view and knowing the coverage calls I couldn't say for sure if he is out of position. The way MM loves his smart guys and loves burnett, I have to believe he isn't out of position very often.

Some very savvy Pack fans are posting some things that amaze re: Dix and Burnett. Bobble says Burnett "hits like a pussy" We'd have to get a 12 pack and argue over some all 22 film bc I disagree with you all down the line. Does MB get beat from time to time? Shit yeah, so does Earl Thomas. Burnett takes the back line call (Cover 2, Cover 3, or a rotation) gets the boys lined up and then gets himself in his pre-snap tech. he does a great job of it and does all he can to be the deepest of the deep and be in position. "Hits like a pussy"? Bullshit, he makes a studied effort to be in position to deliver a blow. He usually does that, a form tackle, low hard and clean, not the ESPN highlight licks in the helmet to get on sports center. Ouotes from the lunatic fringies are just fine. Nobody pays any attention to those goofs anyhow

These two boys are good solid hands that get their mates lined up and aggressively make plays. Their pass cover is done well. I'd like to have an Ed Reed (best I've ever seen) back there, too. Shit Nick Collins was on his way to that level of greatness when he went down with a freaky career-ender. Those cats are once in a career type guys. We've got these two guys solid hands back there and need to stay together for a few years. I like 'em and we need to keep them together, working in concert settling shit down in the back 7.

Red? Wait til he gets full of war juice and gets on a rant. He's usually pretty vulnerable then.

Zool
01-20-2017, 12:34 AM

He hits like Sharper on TO in the playoffs. He does seem to come up with a pick in big situations though. You could do a lot worse than Burnet

Fritz
01-20-2017, 05:44 AM
Burnett's not flashy, but he's a professional. Of course teams are always looking to upgrade when possible - it's the nature of the NFL - but I have to think Green Bay is seriously looking at extending Burnett for another few years. I'm not sure why we're even arguing over this. Wouldn't it seem obvious that Green Bay has lots of issues to address without adding finding a new safety to that list? I like Brice very much, but that kid needs more seasoning.