PDA

View Full Version : Eliot Wolf staying in Green Bay

Strange Brew
01-19-2017, 10:20 PM
http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/36990/packers-keep-sought-after-gm-candidate-eliot-wolf-in-the-family

Whew...Thank God!

Freak Out
01-19-2017, 10:24 PM
Bretsky is super hot and bothered now....hot tub lesbian fantasy bothered.

Rutnstrut
01-20-2017, 12:32 AM
So this should pretty much be it for old teddy then???? PLEASE TT step down and let the youngster take over.

Fritz
01-20-2017, 05:45 AM
I said in another thread that it would be funny if, after all our lathering about losing Wolf, if it was Gutekunst who got the job anyway.

And that may be what happens.

Does this speak to the 49ers' ineptitude or Wolf's lack of readiness?

mission
01-20-2017, 06:59 AM
I said in another thread that it would be funny if, after all our lathering about losing Wolf, if it was Gutekunst who got the job anyway.

And that may be what happens.

Does this speak to the 49ers' ineptitude or Wolf's lack of readiness?

Or neither? I read a quote from an exec who said Gutekunst nailed the interview and that he's Scot McCloughlin without the drinking problem. That said, I do think there had to be something there with Wolf just not wanting to go into that situation.
Sooooo... we keep hemorrhaging front office talent and not bringing anyone in.

Smidgeon
01-20-2017, 07:57 AM
Or neither? I read a quote from an exec who said Gutekunst nailed the interview and that he's Scot McCloughlin without the drinking problem. That said, I do think there had to be something there with Wolf just not wanting to go into that situation.

I'm not sold that Wolf is boy wonder. He might not have gotten the job because he wasn't the best candidate, not because he chose to not pursue it.

Strange Brew
01-20-2017, 07:57 AM
hot tub lesbian fantasy

I'll drink to that!

vince
01-20-2017, 08:10 AM
I'm not sold that Wolf is boy wonder. He might not have gotten the job because he wasn't the best candidate, not because he chose to not pursue it.
The timing of it all strongly suggests that's the case, although that says nothing about the boy wonder's prospects as a future GM...

ThunderDan
01-20-2017, 09:00 AM

Well we keep getting people "stolen" from our front office and we keep replacing them. And the people we replace them with get "stolen" also. So we must have an incredible amount of talent in our front office and the ability to retrain our new hires. To me that suggests a well run machine by TT.

pbmax
01-20-2017, 09:18 AM
They like Highsmith a lot and he is connected back to Wolf, who hired him. Alonzo gets a thumbs up from me for finding Sam Shields and having the best Packers Twitter account (which has suffered as he climbed the org ladder).

Eliot is getting another job title and promotion (and more money) and Bobbo mentioned another guy they like* stepping up to replace Gutenkunst.

There is also a rumor that former Packer scout Trent Baalke is coming back. He's from Rosendale, the greatest speed trap in Wisconsin.

*Jon-Eric Sullivan, their director of college scouting, http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/01/19/wolf-pulls-out-running-49ers-gm-job/96779258/

mission
01-20-2017, 09:19 AM
Well we keep getting people "stolen" from our front office and we keep replacing them. And the people we replace them with get "stolen" also. So we must have an incredible amount of talent in our front office and the ability to retrain our new hires. To me that suggests a well run machine by TT.

Who have we added lately? Not saying we haven't, I just haven't heard of anything really.
Just assumed we started with: TT, Dorsey, Schneider, McKenzie, Wolf, Highsmith, etc and now we have a few of them left.

Honestly, my preference would be to get Dorsey back just because he's actually built a solid roster already.

Harlan Huckleby
01-20-2017, 09:32 AM
I think young Wolf knows something about Ted's health. Or perhaps he's taking some proactive steps in that area.

vince
01-20-2017, 09:35 AM
I think young Wolf knows something about Ted's health. Or perhaps he's taking some proactive steps in that area.
lol. He'll get away with it too. Ted already talks like he has to eat soup through a straw.

ThunderDan
01-20-2017, 09:37 AM
This year we have:
Russ Ball, Rob Davis, Eliot Wolf, Brian Gutenkunst, and Alonzo Highsmith

In 2012:
Russ Ball, John Dorsey, Brian Gutenkunst, Eliot Wolf, Tim Terry and Alonzo Highsmith

We have had Schneider, Dorsey and McKenzie taken from our front office to run other teams and yet more teams are looking at our front office personnel. That is a pretty strong statement to me about how the front office is run.

vince
01-20-2017, 09:40 AM
This year we have:

In 2012:
Russ Ball, John Dorsey, Brian Gutenkunst, Eliot Wolf, Tim Terry and Alonzo Highsmith

We have had Schneider, Dorsey and McKenzie taken from our front office to run other teams and yet more teams are looking at our front office personnel. That is a pretty strong statement to me about how the front office is run.
+1. I think Eliot's been bred to be a GM someday, but he's not the only fish in the lake by any stretch. I'm with PB in being bullish on Highsmith in-house. He and Ball could make a strong tandem if it came to that.

Harlan Huckleby
01-20-2017, 09:41 AM
Walk towards the light, Teddy.

vince
01-20-2017, 09:48 AM
Hang on Ted. Nobody does it better!

Nobody does it better
Makes me feel sad for the rest
Nobody does it half as good as you
Baby, you're the best

And nobody does it better
Though sometimes I wish someone could
Nobody does it quite the way you do
Why'd you have to be so good?

There's some kind of magic inside you
That keeps me from runnin'
But just keep it comin'
How'd you learn to do the things you do?

pbmax
01-20-2017, 09:52 AM
Hang on Ted. Nobody does it better!

Bring lunch with you from home! Have Woodman's deliver the groceries, don't have Eliot pick them up!

Cheesehead Craig
01-20-2017, 10:22 AM
This year we have:

In 2012:

TT's draft and develop philosophy works everywhere!

Freak Out
01-20-2017, 11:50 AM
Walk towards the light, Teddy.

Ok...this made me laugh a bit.

red
01-20-2017, 12:04 PM
has anyone mentioned that mcginn had an article today stating that dorsey is still the odds on favorite to replace TT

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2017/01/19/mcginn-packers-gm-picture-remains-unchanged/96795820/

pbmax
01-20-2017, 12:16 PM
has anyone mentioned that mcginn had an article today stating that dorsey is still the odds on favorite to replace TT

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2017/01/19/mcginn-packers-gm-picture-remains-unchanged/96795820/

Second time he has wrote that but he doesn't have a source for it. Speculation. In the previous article, he said that using the search firm he was involved with when he took the Packers jobs (and I *think* worked for the Jaguars) was almost as likely.

So take it with a grain of salt. But Dorsey is logical after another year. He looks more like Wolf, Thompson and Schneider then in comparison to Wolf, Gutekunst and Highsmith.

vince
01-20-2017, 02:28 PM
The silver-haired, steely-eyed assassin doesn't like all this talk about his demise. Watch your back Harlan.

http://a2.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0119%2Fr172658_1296x729_16 %2D9.jpg&w=1140&cquality=40

Fritz
01-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Second time he has wrote that but he doesn't have a source for it. Speculation. In the previous article, he said that using the search firm he was involved with when he took the Packers jobs (and I *think* worked for the Jaguars) was almost as likely.

So take it with a grain of salt. But Dorsey is logical after another year. He looks more like Wolf, Thompson and Schneider then in comparison to Wolf, Gutekunst and Highsmith.

What I don't understand is why Dorsey would want to make a lateral move. He's already a GM in one of the great football towns in the U.S. Why move back to Green Bay for the same basic job?

George Cumby
01-20-2017, 03:40 PM
Why is anyone in a rush to replace Ted?

I'm still not sold on Wolf Pup. I think he's a "System" guy.

pbmax
01-20-2017, 03:44 PM
What I don't understand is why Dorsey would want to make a lateral move. He's already a GM in one of the great football towns in the U.S. Why move back to Green Bay for the same basic job?

Its a fair question. It would be the ever so slightest promotion, as he was hired after Reid in KC.

Fritz
01-20-2017, 04:53 PM
I am glad to see so many Packerrats preparing for Sunday's loss by looking ahead to the crucifixion of Thompson, McCarthy, et al.

I believe I'll begin with the gambit that although the last half of the season was great fun, getting so far into a hole was too much to dig out of, and thus we must look at McCarthy for not getting his team in better position earlier in the season.

Harlan Huckleby
01-20-2017, 04:57 PM

one of the great < the greatest

The only solid thought I have on this topic is the absurdity of any beer swilling poster in this forum having any measure of the GM talents of any candidate. It's already a stretch that we can evaluate a defensive back.

pbmax
01-20-2017, 04:59 PM
I am glad to see so many Packerrats preparing for Sunday's loss by looking ahead to the crucifixion of Thompson, McCarthy, et al.

I believe I'll begin with the gambit that although the last half of the season was great fun, getting so far into a hole was too much to dig out of, and thus we must look at McCarthy for not getting his team in better position earlier in the season.

I disagree. All the front office extensions and the Dorsey in a year rumors are to prep for Thompson's career ending firing next year after a 2 game losing streak.

pbmax
01-20-2017, 06:23 PM
The only solid thought I have on this topic is the absurdity of any beer swilling poster in this forum having any measure of the GM talents of any candidate. It's already a stretch that we can evaluate a defensive back.

Are you telling me you think woodbuck was exaggerating when he said I could be the Packers GM? :shock:

ptisme
01-21-2017, 06:37 AM

Or, we have an all world quarterback once again carrying his team on a playoff run...

ptisme
01-21-2017, 06:44 AM
TT's draft and develop philosophy works everywhere!

??? Dorsey, McKenzie and Schneider have ALL used free agency and trades to varying degrees to build their roster...

ThunderDan
01-21-2017, 08:11 AM
Or, we have an all world quarterback once again carrying his team on a playoff run...

GB is a hell of a lot more than ARod. Sure, I wouldn't want any other QB in the league to lead our team.

If it truly was ARod, why would any other team want someone in our front office? There is only 1 ARod and the chance of finding another is slim.

Look at what those 3 have done for their franchises. All 3 made the playoffs this year. Sea is on a multi-year playoff run and a Super Bowl win. McKenzie has turned Oakland from the laughing stock of the league to a contender.

pbmax
01-21-2017, 08:17 AM
Philip Rivers should be proof enough that it takes more than a QB.

woodbuck27
01-21-2017, 08:17 AM
They like Highsmith a lot and he is connected back to Wolf, who hired him. Alonzo gets a thumbs up from me for finding Sam Shields and having the best Packers Twitter account (which has suffered as he climbed the org ladder).

Eliot is getting another job title and promotion (and more money) and Bobbo mentioned another guy they like* stepping up to replace Gutenkunst.

There is also a rumor that former Packer scout Trent Baalke is coming back. He's from Rosendale, the greatest speed trap in Wisconsin.

*Jon-Eric Sullivan, their director of college scouting, http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/01/19/wolf-pulls-out-running-49ers-gm-job/96779258/

" There is also a rumor that former Packer scout Trent Baalke is coming back. He's from Rosendale, the greatest speed trap in Wisconsin."

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/perspectives-speed-trap.jpg

Trent Baalke is getting the 'H' out of there and besides the coffee shops suck.

texaspackerbacker
01-21-2017, 09:12 AM
GM is the kind of job that a lot of people can do successfully just by going with the flow. The exceptional case is when somebody applies stupidity or whatever and screws things up. Luck or circumstance or one decision that turns out great can make a GM's reputation and that of a whole slew of his "descendants" for decades. Arguably, Aaron Rodgers MADE the reputation of Ted Thompson as well as the reputation of Schneider and Dorsey and the rest of them. I'll stop short of saying Ted lucked into getting Rodgers, but he certainly was presented with the circumstance and made the obvious decision at the time. Other than that, he has been pretty mediocre. The most similar thing I can think of to the Aaron Rodgers phenomenon is the coin flip where the Bucks got Lew Alcindor/Kareem Abdul Jabbar. That and the trades deriving from it kept the Bucks near the top for over 20 years. The only difference is that instead of trades parlaying a team into continued success after the big lucky break, it has been personnel people getting considered for jobs based on Ted's success.

Who among us, though, given a full time effort and a staff of scouts, couldn't roll the dice and make adequate draft picks, negotiate and sign our own players (or not), maybe go after and get (or not) other people's free agents or off the street?

ThunderDan
01-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Who among us, though, given a full time effort and a staff of scouts, couldn't roll the dice and make adequate draft picks, negotiate and sign our own players (or not), maybe go after and get (or not) other people's free agents or off the street?

You!

pbmax
01-21-2017, 10:20 AM
but he certainly was presented with the circumstance and made the obvious decision at the time.

This is patently false, unfortunately our records here don't stretch back that far. No one wanted a QB, they wanted Defensive help of skill position players.

QB was not high on the list and despite the value, people were not convinced of Rodgers and immediately everyone started complaining about drafting for the future and not for Favre's window.

The best that can be said of the public reaction is that by and large people did think this was a value pick.

RashanGary
01-21-2017, 10:26 AM
This is patently false, unfortunately our records here don't stretch back that far. No one wanted a QB, they wanted Defensive help of skill position players.

QB was not high on the list and despite the value, people were not convinced of Rodgers and immediately everyone started complaining about drafting for the future and not for Favre's window.

The best that can be said of the public reaction is that by and large people did think this was a value pick.

Fans hated ted for that pick. Arrogant, stupid, as good as gone...... that was the least obvious pick I ever remember.

vince
01-21-2017, 10:30 AM
GM is the kind of job that a lot of people can do successfully just by going with the flow. The exceptional case is when somebody applies stupidity or whatever and screws things up. Luck or circumstance or one decision that turns out great can make a GM's reputation and that of a whole slew of his "descendants" for decades. Arguably, Aaron Rodgers MADE the reputation of Ted Thompson as well as the reputation of Schneider and Dorsey and the rest of them. I'll stop short of saying Ted lucked into getting Rodgers, but he certainly was presented with the circumstance and made the obvious decision at the time. Other than that, he has been pretty mediocre. The most similar thing I can think of to the Aaron Rodgers phenomenon is the coin flip where the Bucks got Lew Alcindor/Kareem Abdul Jabbar. That and the trades deriving from it kept the Bucks near the top for over 20 years. The only difference is that instead of trades parlaying a team into continued success after the big lucky break, it has been personnel people getting considered for jobs based on Ted's success.

You have to be joking with this.

I guess this level of ignorance of the knowledge, skills and abilities required, along with the extreme demands of the job, is why so many fans think they could do better than those that have dedicated their professional lives to learning their profession and still most don't ultimately rise to and/or succeed at the highest level.

It's all who you know and a bunch of tosses at the dart board eh? Sign all the best free agents, that's it.

pbmax
01-21-2017, 11:00 AM
Aaron Nagler ‏@AaronNagler 11h11 hours ago
Ted Thompson, who drafted Aaron Rodgers, is lucky to have Aaron Rodgers. My timeline.

TIME IS A FLAT CIRCLE

vince
01-21-2017, 12:01 PM
Luck is the explanation people give for the success of those they don’t like or understand.

Was Ted lucky Rodgers was available? He had the unique vision to accurately recognize an opportunity, and the significant will to take advantage of it in the face of what he knew would be vocal opposition.

None of the GM's who selected before him - almost all of whom had stronger needs at the QB position - possessed any of that. And has been mentioned before, very few pundits/fans/etc. did either. He was roundly criticized but stuck to his vision in spite of overwhelming public pressure and criticism.

Lucky indeed.

If Ted wasn't so good, he'd be bad. Therefore he's bad.

texaspackerbacker
01-21-2017, 12:38 PM

That's exactly the point; Nobody, including Ted, wanted a QB in the first round or anywhere near it. However, when you're at #21 (or near it) and one of the two guys projected to be the best player/top pick in the whole draft falls to you, it's 1. a fortunate circumstance and 2. an obvious decision to make.

True, none of the GMs picking earlier chose him - that's fortunate for us. It's also possible those other teams had more pressing needs and the Packers really didn't.

It's also possible that it really wasn't a very good decision to make, but Aaron Rodgers just turned out to be so damn good - better than anybody expected - that it became a super decision.

Anyway, my original point was, being a good GM is a lot more luck and circumstance than skill and wisdom.

pbmax
01-21-2017, 01:05 PM
That's exactly the point; Nobody, including Ted, wanted a QB in the first round or anywhere near it. However, when you're at #21 (or near it) and one of the two guys projected to be the best player/top pick in the whole draft falls to you, it's 1. a fortunate circumstance and 2. an obvious decision to make.

Twenty-two teams disagree with you. That they were proven wrong argues against your anyone could do it theory.

bobblehead
01-21-2017, 03:08 PM
True, none of the GMs picking earlier chose him - that's fortunate for us. It's also possible those other teams had more pressing needs and the Packers really didn't.

More pressing needs then the best player in the draft. More pressing needs than a hall of fame QB. If the draft were held tomorrow and ARod entered it, would he go #1 no matter who was holding that pick? Since the answer is YES, what you mean is that nobody thought he was good enough to draft ahead of their pressing needs. (since no one ever has more pressing needs than a 10+ year starting hall of fame QB)

texaspackerbacker
01-21-2017, 08:40 PM
More pressing needs then the best player in the draft. More pressing needs than a hall of fame QB. If the draft were held tomorrow and ARod entered it, would he go #1 no matter who was holding that pick? Since the answer is YES, what you mean is that nobody thought he was good enough to draft ahead of their pressing needs. (since no one ever has more pressing needs than a 10+ year starting hall of fame QB)

Hindsight is 20/20, as they say. Obviously when I say pressing needs, I'm talking about positions. I'll give Ted credit for drafting Aaron Rodgers; I'll even say he hasn't been a bad GM - records don't lie. If one of those other GMs did grab Rodgers earlier, though, or if he hadn't turned out to be so damn good, either Ted would be long gone or else life would be long term depressing in Packerland - kinda like the 80s.

George Cumby
01-21-2017, 08:57 PM
Luck is the explanation people give for the success of those they don’t like or understand.

Was Ted lucky Rodgers was available? He had the unique vision to accurately recognize an opportunity, and the significant will to take advantage of it in the face of what he knew would be vocal opposition.

None of the GM's who selected before him - almost all of whom had stronger needs at the QB position - possessed any of that. And has been mentioned before, very few pundits/fans/etc. did either. He was roundly criticized but stuck to his vision in spite of overwhelming public pressure and criticism.

Lucky indeed.

If Ted wasn't so good, he'd be bad. Therefore he's bad.

Ted has brass balls the size of Ohio for that pick. I was in a motel room shouting with Berman "Pick him! Pick him!"

Since I thought that was a good pick I could probably do just as good a job, right?! :roll:

Fritz
01-22-2017, 05:50 AM
The fan reaction was extremely negative. Extremely. The same complaint people are making now about the Rodgers-era teams: we have a HOF QB! Why isn't Ted doing more while the Packers have this window? Why doesn't he draft someone to help his QB now/sign someone?

And yes, hindsight is 20/20. So remember that when Thompson drafted Aaron Rodgers, he was thought of as a Ted Telford "system" QB, and the knock was that Telford's QB's had a bad track record in the pros. He was no sure bet. The longer he fell, the more the doubts piled up. 23 GM's had rendered their verdict on this college prospect by the time it was Thompson's pick.

It was a helluva smart pick. And not an easy call to make, given that he was not yet the Aaron Rodgers that colors our view now when we look back. And given that if he didn't pan out, Thompson would've wasted a first round pick on a position not seen as a need at a time he had a HOF QB and a team that needed help at other positions to make a run.

Gutsy call. When anyone says it was an "easy" call, they're using hindsight.

texaspackerbacker
01-22-2017, 09:25 AM
The fan reaction was extremely negative. Extremely. The same complaint people are making now about the Rodgers-era teams: we have a HOF QB! Why isn't Ted doing more while the Packers have this window? Why doesn't he draft someone to help his QB now/sign someone?

And yes, hindsight is 20/20. So remember that when Thompson drafted Aaron Rodgers, he was thought of as a Ted Telford "system" QB, and the knock was that Telford's QB's had a bad track record in the pros. He was no sure bet. The longer he fell, the more the doubts piled up. 23 GM's had rendered their verdict on this college prospect by the time it was Thompson's pick.

It was a helluva smart pick. And not an easy call to make, given that he was not yet the Aaron Rodgers that colors our view now when we look back. And given that if he didn't pan out, Thompson would've wasted a first round pick on a position not seen as a need at a time he had a HOF QB and a team that needed help at other positions to make a run.

Either that or it was a dumb pick that he just got extremely lucky on hahahahaha.

Fritz
01-22-2017, 10:50 AM
There must be a little luck in most of these good picks.

Joemailman
01-25-2017, 12:29 PM
Mike Wells
ESPN Staff Writer

The Colts announce six candidates will interview for the vacant GM job. Chris Ballard (KC) Scott Fitterer (SEA) Trent Kirchner (SEA) George Paton (MIN) Jimmy Raye III (IND) Eliot Wolf (GB)

pbmax
01-25-2017, 12:36 PM
Mike Wells
ESPN Staff Writer

The Colts announce six candidates will interview for the vacant GM job. Chris Ballard (KC) Scott Fitterer (SEA) Trent Kirchner (SEA) George Paton (MIN) Jimmy Raye III (IND) Eliot Wolf (GB)

All a distraction. He wants to hire Peyton Manning to run it all.

Smidgeon
01-25-2017, 01:21 PM
I find it interesting Ballard agreed to be interviewed here. Didn't he turn down that opportunity for the 9ers?

Joemailman
01-25-2017, 04:34 PM
I find it interesting Ballard agreed to be interviewed here. Didn't he turn down that opportunity for the 9ers?

9ers have Kaepernick. Colts have Luck.

pbmax
01-29-2017, 05:31 PM
Ballard to Colts. Is keeping Pagano for at least a year.

Eliot Wolf's ascension to the rarified air of football immortality has been delayed again.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 25m25 minutes ago
The #Colts have hired GM Chris Ballard, formerly of the #Chiefs.

Pugger
01-29-2017, 06:19 PM

I must have been in the minority. I couldn't believe Aaron was still sitting there and didn't think Ted would make the move because we didn't need him at the time. That move is the poster child for those who believe in taking the BPA no matter what your needs are. I got very excited when we took Rodgers that day. Thanks Ted. :glug:

Joemailman
01-29-2017, 07:55 PM
49ers to hire John Lynch as GM. Hiring the Player turned Announcer as GM always works. Just ask the Lions.

pbmax
01-29-2017, 09:14 PM
49ers to hire John Lynch as GM. Hiring the Player turned Announcer as GM always works. Just ask the Lions.

Clown show.

Smidgeon
01-29-2017, 10:51 PM

I live near SF. When the 49ers ran over the Packers two years in a row, the fans who knew I was a Packers fan couldn't stop crowing about the victories. My only response was: "Let's see what this looks like in 3 years. The 9ers will fall and GB will still be in the hunt."

My prediction came true, but 49er fans are such fair weather fans it's no fun rubbing their faces in it.

pbmax
01-30-2017, 07:57 AM
I live near SF. When the 49ers ran over the Packers two years in a row, the fans who knew I was a Packers fan couldn't stop crowing about the victories. My only response was: "Let's see what this looks like in 3 years. The 9ers will fall and GB will still be in the hunt."

My prediction came true, but 49er fans are such fair weather fans it's no fun rubbing their faces in it.

It would be fun to hunt them down for a reminder. I can help by telling you the fans aren't in Santa Clara anymore.

Teamcheez1
01-30-2017, 08:23 AM
How dysfunctional are the 49er's? Hiring John Lynch as the GM with no experience sounds like a disaster. No wonder Eliot Wolf didn't get the job. He probably gave an interview to Jed York that would be consistent with a sane GM.

Joemailman
01-30-2017, 06:16 PM
How dysfunctional are the 49er's? Hiring John Lynch as the GM with no experience sounds like a disaster. No wonder Eliot Wolf didn't get the job. He probably gave an interview to Jed York that would be consistent with a sane GM.

He probably wanted total control over roster decisions and hiring and firing of the head coach. Like what he'll probably have when TT retires.

Fritz
01-31-2017, 10:39 AM
One of the Detroit papers actually hunted Matt Millen down to get his reaction to the Lynch hiring. It was almost painful to read.

But in a world where a failed TV host with zero political experience can be elected president of the United States, what the hell?

At this rate, Tank could be selected as the next Packer GM.

gbgary
04-29-2017, 03:22 PM
has a pretty good sense of humor. cracked a couple of jokes during his pressers that had guys laughing.

Rutnstrut
04-29-2017, 05:39 PM
has a pretty good sense of humor. cracked a couple of jokes during his pressers that had guys laughing.

In other words, he's the anti Ted.

Carolina_Packer
01-08-2018, 04:35 PM
Bump.

So, is Eliot out the door now? He's still under contract. Do you think Dorsey or McKenzie might try and get him to move on (assuming the Packers let him out of his contract)?

The tricky part of hiring the HOF GM's son is that while he might have the same type of aptitude his father has for football operations, this moment always loomed. Will they hire Eliot (partially) because he's Ron's son and Ron was instrumental to the re-birth of the Packers? If those were ever the expectations, that's tricky. If he's the best guy for the job, that's one thing, but nothing should artificially give Eliot the advantage, even if Ron is so important to the Packers.

I hope he's not upset with the current Packers brass. You want your son to be successful in his own right, not because you paved the way for him.

gbgary
01-08-2018, 04:40 PM
i hope he stays but can't blame him if he leaves later when something else comes up.

woodbuck27
01-09-2018, 06:47 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/01/eliot_wolf_interviewing_with_t.html#incart_2box

Eliot Wolf, interviewing with the Browns today, also has a Raiders offer, per report

Updated 5:33 PM; Posted 4:26 PM

Bretsky
01-09-2018, 06:48 PM
VERY DISAPPOINTING THREAD

When I jumped in I actually believed it was real time news

woodbuck27
01-09-2018, 06:49 PM
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0742482910031910569-4

Eliot Wolf, who is in Cleveland interviewing with GM John Dorsey today, also has an offer to join Reggie McKenzie/Jon Gruden in Oakland, per a source. That's on top of the Packers' offer for him to be new GM Brian Gutekunst's right-hand man in Green Bay.

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

woodbuck27
01-09-2018, 06:52 PM

You thought Eliot Wolf would stay in Green Bay !?

I didn't dig for this Thread. It was already up on the 1st Page with (his name on it). Rather than creating a new Thread I just dumped the LINK on it.

How much would you bet that Eliot Wolf would stay in Green Bay?

I'd lay 3-1 on $1K American he leaves for Greener Pastures one time, with anyone I know.

woodbuck27
01-09-2018, 07:07 PM

Really !? :cnf:

Bretsky
01-09-2018, 07:12 PM
You thought Eliot Wolf would stay in Green Bay !?

I didn't dig for this Thread. It was already up on the 1st Page with (his name on it). Rather than creating a new Thread I just dumped the LINK on it.

How much would you bet that Eliot Wolf would stay in Green Bay?

I'd lay 3-1 on $1K American he leaves for Greener Pastures one time, with anyone I know.

I definitely did NOT think Wolf would stay

So when I saw the thread I was kinda excited

Til I figured out it was from last year

I'd probably put the odds abou 7-1

denverYooper
01-09-2018, 07:16 PM

I keep doing the same every time this bumps up also.

woodbuck27
01-09-2018, 07:17 PM

It's also possible that it really wasn't a very good decision to make, but Aaron Rodgers just turned out to be so damn good - better than anybody expected - that it became a super decision.

Anyway, my original point was, being a good GM is a lot more luck and circumstance than skill and wisdom.

2005 NFL DRAFT:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2005

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/green-bay-packers-aaron-rodgers-peter-schrager-podcast-2005-draft-060816

How a 2005 NFL mock draft helped the Packers get Aaron Rodgers

mraynrand
01-09-2018, 08:51 PM
It doesn't look like anyone is interviewing Wolf for GM. But maybe he needs to leave anyway to get out of GB, get some varied experience so he looks more attractive for a future GM spot.

Sometimes people interview laterally like this to increase the offer from back home...

mraynrand
01-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Aaron Nagler ‏@AaronNagler 11h11 hours ago
Ted Thompson, who drafted Aaron Rodgers, is lucky to have Aaron Rodgers. My timeline.

TIME IS A FLAT CIRCLE

"A circle has no end"

Ted Thompson and Aaron Rodgers can both be found at the Second Foundation headquarters...

denverYooper
01-10-2018, 08:46 AM
"A circle has no end"

Ted Thompson and Aaron Rodgers can both be found at the Second Foundation headquarters...

Nice, another reference from the SF canon. Herbert, now Asimov.