PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Christl on 53 man roster

motife
09-06-2006, 05:07 PM
WEDNESDAY, Sept. 6, 2006, 4:12 p.m.

Depth in the offensive line
The Packers kept nine offensive linemen, including four rookies and two second-year players with virtually no experience. And one of those two second-year players, Junius Coston, has been ruled out of Sunday's game with a knee injury. Coston is listed as their first backup at right guard and right tackle.

So what happens if the Packers suffer an injury during the game?

Second-round draft pick Daryn Colledge worked at left tackle and left guard this summer and is listed as the top reserve at both positions. Second-year man Chris White is the backup center.

At right guard, Tony Palmer, who just joined the team this week, is listed behind Coston on the depth chart. And Colledge is listed as the third right tackle behind Coston.

Obviously, if the Packers lose an offensive lineman Sunday, especially on the right side, it could lead to disaster.

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 6, 2006, 3:51 p.m.

Favre not looking to leave
In the past, Brett Favre insisted that he'd never play anywhere else. So by hedging in his interview with Bob Costas he departed from the position that he had always taken in the past.

But Favre said at his press conference Wednesday that he was asked the question in the context of what he'd do if he still wanted to play and the Packers no longer wanted him. "I'm 99.9% sure that won't happen," he said.

In other words, Favre doesn't expect to get thrown out of the building like his buddy Steve McNair in Tennessee.

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 6, 2006, 3:41 p.m.

Kickoff returns
It's hard to quarrel with the Packers' decision to cut Najeh Davenport. He couldn't stay healthy and he didn't run well this summer. But if the Packers' No. 1 kick returner is Noah Herron maybe they should have taken a closer look at Davenport in that role this summer.

Again, Davenport would have been a risk considering his injury history. But he was a load when he got a head of steam going. It took the former coaching staff too long to discover that Davenport was their best option as a kick returner, but when they finally did in his second season, Davenport averaged 31.6 yards on 16 returns.

This summer, the new staff gave Davenport the opportunity to return only one kickoff. In Herron, the Packers figure to have one of the most pedestrian return men in the league.

It might be one of those seasons where touchbacks will be worth cheering.

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 6, 2006, 3:31 p.m.

The depth chart
The Packers released their depth chart for the opener and usually it reflects a team's substitution plans.

Some of the more interesting listings included:
1) Kenderick Allen is listed as the starting defensive tackle opposite Ryan Pickett.
2) Noah Herron is listed as the No. 2 running back behind Ahman Green and ahead of Samkon Gado.
3) Jason Hunter is listed as the first backup at defensive right end, but also the third weak-side linebacker behind A.J. Hawk and Ben Taylor. Unless I missed it, Hunter never practiced at linebacker during training camp.
4) Charles Woodson is listed as the No. 1 punt returner ahead of Greg Jennings.
5) Herron is listed as the No. 1 kickoff return man. Gado is listed No. 2.

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 6, 2006, 12:11 p.m.

So much hoopla over nothing
Not many players have spent less time in the Packers' camp and received more fanfare than wide receiver Carlton Brewster. He was with the Packers for 10 days and was the subject of feature stories and too much speculation about his chances of making the roster, all because of two catches with the scout team right after he arrived.

Brewster stood 5-foot-11 and there was a play during 7-on-7 in the final practice before the final exhibition game where his lack of height left Aaron Rodgers with a small window and resulted in an incomplete pass. That has been one of the Packers' objectives since last season: Move beyond the days of playing midgets at wide receiver.

Yes, Greg Jennings also stands 5-11. But he plays big. Brewster didn't. He seemed to short-arm too many balls. What was suprising was that the Packers gave Brewster as much playing time as they did against Tennessee. If they were going to keep only four wide receivers on the active roster, they'd have been better off giving those snaps to Chris Francies, who was in their practice squad plans.

WEDNESDAY, Sept. 6, 2006, 11:58 a.m.

The Packers' wide receivers
On May 22, following the Green Bay Packers’ second minicamp, my column that appeared on Packer Insider was titled “Young receivers show promise, raise competition level.”

In the column, I made the following points:
1) “… And that's why one of the more interesting plots this summer might be the battle for the six wide receiver spots that coach Mike McCarthy has said will be available.”
2) “… again, based on the minicamps, the competition might be fiercer than you'd expect from a lot of mostly street and undrafted free agents.”
3) “… street free agent Ruvell Martin and undrafted free agents Leo Bookman, Calvin Russell and Chris Francies might at least create a competitive situation.”
4) “… it's an intriguing group, considering their relatively humble backgrounds, and just one small area where the Packers could take some baby steps forward.”

Shortly after the column appeared, I also remember getting a snide email from a reader informing me that he could care less about players who weren’t going to make the team and that he wanted to know more about the progress of Robert Ferguson, Rod Gardner and Marc Boerigter.

My intent here isn’t to tell you I told you so or to belittle the reader. In the end, Bookman never caught a pass in camp and never made a serious bid for a roster spot. All he had was speed. And the Packers actually have taken more than a few “baby steps” forward at wide receiver.

The addition of Greg Jennings is a big improvement. I mentioned Jennings in that column as being a lock to make the roster, but never expected him to look as good as he did in training camp. He’s not Randy Moss. He might never get a whole lot better. But he could have a long and productive career if he stays healthy and maintains his speed.

In fact, if there’s any reason to be more optimistic now about the Packers than a month ago, it’s because of Jennings. Assuming that how he performed this summer will carry over to the regular season, Jennings gives the Packers two good receivers. Give Brett Favre a running game and two good receivers – Donald Driver is the other -- and he should be better than a year ago, maybe much better.

As for the other young receivers, Martin made the roster. And Francies and Russell were added to the practice squad.

Does that mean the Packers have taken some “baby steps” forward with them?

Martin could be an improvement over Antonio Chatman. He’s a bigger target and looks to be more reliable, although he isn’t as quick or as fast. But, to a degree, Martin made the roster by default. Nobody probably tried harder in camp. He stayed healthy. And he earned the confidence of Favre and backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers. But all the other receivers basically cut themselves.

Above all, what the competition showed was that there wasn’t much difference between those three free agents with no NFL experience and the two veterans, Gardner and Boerigter. In turn, there wasn’t much difference between Gardner and Robert Ferguson or Martin and Ferguson, for that matter.

So what does that tell you about the Packers’ depth at wide receiver in an era when the third player there, in particular, gets an abundance of playing time?

Packnut
09-06-2006, 05:11 PM
The fact that we have the worst KR man in all of football speaks volumes about TT's abilities to be a GM. Herron returning kicks this Sunday is just mind boggling.

Joemailman
09-06-2006, 05:12 PM
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought Cliff Christl had been added to the 53 man roster. :shock:

Joemailman
09-06-2006, 05:15 PM
The fact that we have the worst KR man in all of football speaks volumes about TT's abilities to be a GM. Herron returning kicks this Sunday is just mind boggling.

I think it's just a matter of time before Will Blackmon assumes that role.

justanotherpackfan
09-06-2006, 05:22 PM
I definitely agree. Herron is way too slow for kickoff duty.

Packnut
09-06-2006, 05:26 PM

I understand that, but why give up until then? At the very least he should have kept Davenport until Blackmon is ready. Someone need's to start asking this guy just what the hell his reasoning is.

Packnut
09-06-2006, 05:27 PM
I definitely agree. Herron is way too slow for kickoff duty.

He's to slow for anything yet TT thinks otherwise. He makes moves that defy all logic.

CaptainKickass
09-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Does anyone else besides me think that the coaches see something in Herron that nobody else seems to be able to see?

Maybe he'll surprise us all. ok....hopefully - he'll surprise us all, but I am just having a difficult time seeing this guy being a playmaker or even serviceable.

Am I missing something here?

:?:

Packnut
09-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Does anyone else besides me think that the coaches see something in Herron that nobody else seems to be able to see?

Maybe he'll surprise us all. ok....hopefully - he'll surprise us all, but I am just having a difficult time seeing this guy being a playmaker or even serviceable.

Am I missing something here?

:?:

Your not missing a thing. Herron is brutal both as a KR and RB. He's just to damn slow. Hell, a blind man could see it!

KYPack
09-06-2006, 05:36 PM
I think he got the gig cause he's the best guy that can stay assignment sure and do the job. A playmaker dude, he ain't.

We essentially start the season with no KR.

This appears to be an outage by both the front office & the coaches. This is the kind of shit the Houston Texans do, not the Packers.

MJZiggy
09-06-2006, 07:44 PM

I understand that, but why give up until then? At the very least he should have kept Davenport until Blackmon is ready. Someone need's to start asking this guy just what the hell his reasoning is.

Because if I understand it correctly, if Davenport were to play in the first game of the season, we're on the hook for his full salary this season. I think we may see a bit more of Martin if Herron doesn't do well.

Brohm
09-06-2006, 08:35 PM
[/quote]

I understand that, but why give up until then? At the very least he should have kept Davenport until Blackmon is ready. Someone need's to start asking this guy just what the hell his reasoning is.[/quote]

I agree and also for the potential trade value down the road (?). Other than that, I don't think it's TT's call as to who is actually back there but the coaches. The moves TT made just did not pan out (Rodgers) yet. After the miscues, the coaches probably want someone who can to secure the ball and make good decisions back there until Blackmon is ready.

MJZiggy
09-06-2006, 08:41 PM
What trade value? The guy has 3(?) screws holding his ankle together and did not have a stellar preseason. No GM in their right mind would assume his contract and that would leave GB on the hook for his salary for the season. If he could have been traded, I'm sure he would have as we all know TT does love his picks, but you'll also notice that he's cleared waivers and has not signed with anyone yet that I'm aware of. If he were true trade bait, he'd be employed by now.

mraynrand
09-06-2006, 09:22 PM
I think Herron is the only backup RB who can reliably catch the ball. Davenport looked like a guy trying to catch a cat being tossed at him, and Gado had trouble turning upfield "in his shadow" as they say, after catching the ball. Here's the 64 dollar question about Herron - is he really better than Fisher?

Bretsky
09-06-2006, 09:42 PM
I think Herron is the only backup RB who can reliably catch the ball. Davenport looked like a guy trying to catch a cat being tossed at him, and Gado had trouble turning upfield "in his shadow" as they say, after catching the ball. Here's the 64 dollar question about Herron - is he really better than Fisher?

No he's not

But he's cheaper........so TT can save some money and spend it elsewhere to bring in more talent for this roster

WAIT..........SHIT...........we're 7MIL under the Cap as it is and we frontloaded a deal to take up a crapload of cap space this year..........so

irrelevant

So I'm back to No, he's not any better than Tony Fischer

HarveyWallbangers
09-06-2006, 10:00 PM
There's nothing wrong with a 3rd RB like Herron or Fisher. The coaches have a comfort level with those guys. They can catch, run a little, and they won't get their QB killed. The hope though is that Gado becomes comfortable enough to earn the #2 spot soon.

MJZiggy
09-06-2006, 10:10 PM
B, what does cap room have anything to do with whether Herron is a better RB than Fisher?

Chubbyhubby
09-06-2006, 11:03 PM

I agree. I believe they drafted Cory Rodgers for KR and or PR because he was so good at it in college. But he was a bust. He was a big disapointment. You'll see alot of fair catches I bet.

run pMc
09-07-2006, 08:35 AM
Agree totally with MJZiggy.

Herron will hold the job until Blackmon is ready. Until then, we have a guy who is supposedly surehanded and knows where to go with the ball. It ould be nice to see him break one or two long returns, but that's not likely.

If we play Davenport in game 1, GB is on the hook all year for his salary since he's a vet. He's also injury-prone, so this is about cap$ and health as much as production. Some people think Herron is a little bit like Edgar Bennett...consistent, smart, hard worker, not very flashy. For a utility/emergency back, that might get us thru this year.
I'd like to see some upgrades in the RB corps though. If Ahman goes down GB is in trouble.

HarveyWallbangers
09-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Some people think Herron is a little bit like Edgar Bennett...consistent, smart, hard worker, not very flashy. For a utility/emergency back, that might get us thru this year. I'd like to see some upgrades in the RB corps though. If Ahman goes down GB is in trouble.

Somewhat true, but I think a comparison to Tony Fisher is more apt. You likely won't see Herron in the Packer Hall of Fame after his career is over.

GoPack06
09-07-2006, 08:55 AM
i love that we have the "worst" KR in football, when there has been 0 kickoffs so far in the season.

i guess our defense is tied for number 1 in the league with 0 yards given up too.

Iron Mike
09-07-2006, 09:04 AM
I'd like to see some upgrades in the RB corps though. If Ahman goes down GB is in trouble.

I'm getting the feeling TT is planning on drafting a stud RB in 2007. Anybody with me??? Anybody know of a stud RB with experience in the ZBS??

Zool
09-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Adrian Peterson from Oklahoma, but we'll need at least another top5 pick to get that kid.

Packnut
09-07-2006, 10:47 AM
i love that we have the "worst" KR in football, when there has been 0 kickoffs so far in the season.

i guess our defense is tied for number 1 in the league with 0 yards given up too.

I take it, you've never seen him return kicks cause if you had, you'd see it takes forever for him to reach his 1st line of blockers and by then the defenders have broken through. Try actually watching before criticizing someone else's post.

Willard
09-07-2006, 12:10 PM

I take it, you've never seen him return kicks cause if you had, you'd see it takes forever for him to reach his 1st line of blockers and by then the defenders have broken through. Try actually watching before criticizing someone else's post.

Hopefully Coach Stock has told Herron that he actually needs to run fast on kick returns during the regular season. He looked like was wearing snow shoes on a couple of those preseason returns!

KYPack
09-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Adrian Peterson from Oklahoma, but we'll need at least another top5 pick to get that kid.

That might happen, Zool.

Zool
09-07-2006, 12:40 PM

That might happen, Zool.It very well could happen. Or we could pick 32nd. I dont think either will happen. Im guessing(hoping) in the 12-15 range.

bbbffl66
09-07-2006, 12:59 PM
Some people think Herron is a little bit like Edgar Bennett...consistent, smart, hard worker, not very flashy. For a utility/emergency back, that might get us thru this year. I'd like to see some upgrades in the RB corps though. If Ahman goes down GB is in trouble.

Somewhat true, but I think a comparison to Tony Fisher is more apt. You likely won't see Herron in the Packer Hall of Fame after his career is over.

C'mon, it's not much for admission.

Iron Mike
09-07-2006, 01:32 PM

That might happen, Zool.

You can both salivating at the prospect now:

http://www.adrian-peterson.com/index.html

woodbuck27
09-07-2006, 01:54 PM

What happened that we never hear about this fela and Kick returns?

Ahmad Carroll?

In 2005 Carroll. .

In 16 Games Ahmad had 19 kick returns for 390 yards - 20.5 Avg.. .

a long of 57 Yards that being his only KR at + 40 yards.

GO PACKERS !

Cheesehead Craig
09-07-2006, 01:54 PM
If Ahman goes down GB is in trouble.
If this happens and Gado cannot produce in the running game, we're back to a horrible record and we might as well make a play to draft Peterson out of OU. Then our RB situation will be solved for the next decade.

Guiness
09-07-2006, 02:04 PM
What happened that we never hear about this fela and Kick returns?

Ahmad Carroll?

In 2005 Carroll. .

In 16 Games Ahmad had 19 kick returns for 390 yards - 20.5 Avg.. .

a long of 57 Yards that being his only KR at + 40 yards.

GO PACKERS !

wow - good point Woody - especially since he is no longer a starter, they should be looking for other ways he can contribute!

Of course, the same could be said for Ferguson. You'd think they would both get some touches.

However, we have another potential on the team:
Corey Williams 1 14 14.0 14 0
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd like to get the clip of Corey running one back! I wonder who the heck hauled him down?

woodbuck27
09-07-2006, 02:26 PM
"However, we have another potential on the team:
Corey Williams 1 14 14.0 14 0 .....

I'd like to get the clip of Corey running one back! I wonder who the heck hauled him down? " Guiness

Geee I'm wondering now if Bettis was ever used by "the Steelers" to return Kick Off's Guiness.

Corey Williams and Returning KO's? mmmm

Howdid you ever dig that out of "the Ole Grey matter". Amazing. :mrgreen: ALOT :mrgreen: Trying to imagine that.

I am in shock that Noah Herron will actually be given the assignment of returning kicks.

I merely thought that was an experiment in preseason games. To establish Noah's versatility. . . that didn't pan out, according to reports from Packer fans.

We are " the Wild and Wonderful" Packers. . . .

"Wild and Crazy Guy's". :mrgreen:

GO PACK GO !

GO PACKERS !

woodbuck27
09-07-2006, 02:26 PM
"However, we have another potential on the team:
Corey Williams 1 14 14.0 14 0 .....

I'd like to get the clip of Corey running one back! I wonder who the heck hauled him down? " Guiness

Geee I'm wondering now if Bettis was ever used by "the Steelers" to return Kick Off's Guiness?

Corey Williams and returning KO's? mmmm

How did you ever dig that out of "the Ole Grey matter". Amazing. :mrgreen: ALOT :mrgreen: Trying to imagine that.

I am in shock that Noah Herron will actually be given the assignment of returning kicks.

I merely thought that was an experiment in preseason games. To establish Noah's versatility. . . that didn't pan out, according to reports from Packer fans.

We are " the Wild and Wonderful" Packers. . . .

"Wild and Crazy Guy's". :mrgreen:

GO PACK GO !

GO PACKERS !