PDA

View Full Version : Packers UFA's

Joemailman
01-22-2017, 06:38 PM
Julius Peppers - Probably done. Wouldn't mind bringing him back as a situational pass rusher at a much lower salary.

T.J. Lang - Injury comes at a terrible time for him. If it's a serious knee injury, it may scare teams away.

Nick Perry - Probably has the most improved market value of all Packer UFA's. It will cost quite a bit to sign him.

Jared Cook - Sounds like he wants to stay. Should be a major priority.

Datone Jones - Probably done here. Probably wouldn't take much to sign him though.

Brett Goode - He'll be back.

Eddie Lacy - I don't think Packers will be willing to pay him huge money. Could be back if his market value has taken a hit.

Christine Michael - Could be an inexpensive change of pace back.

Don Barclay - Probably done. Can't play Tackle anymore. Mediocre Guard.

J.C. Tretter - Injury complicates things. Versatile player who could be back.

Micah Hyde - Versatile player who won't cost a ton to sign.

SMBASS
01-22-2017, 06:43 PM
Let go - Jones, Peppers, Michael, Barclay

Sign - Cook, Hyde, Goode

Depends on Injury and Market Value - Lang, Perry, Lacy, Tretter

(I like Tretter better than Linsley when he plays but he just can't seem to make it through a year.)

pbmax
01-22-2017, 06:47 PM
Cook, Perry, Hyde, Lacy, Lang, Goode, Tretter and Michael in that order. Goodby Julius, Datone and Don.

channtheman
01-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Lang was crying because he probably tore an ACL in meaningless minutes (game was over by the time he was injured) as he becomes a free agent. I feel bad for him.

run pMc
01-22-2017, 09:43 PM
Cook, Perry, Hyde, Lacy, Lang, Goode, Tretter and Michael in that order. Goodby Julius, Datone and Don.

I think they'll bring back Datone cheap if possible, and I'm not sure they sign Michael unless Lacy leaves and they draft nobody at RB. I think Cook and Perry should be their top priorities, which means Goode will be the first to sign.

King Friday
01-22-2017, 09:47 PM
I can't see Michaels coming back...the guy has a screw loose and appears to be blind the way he runs into people's backside about 70% of the time.

Strange Brew
01-22-2017, 09:51 PM
Keep Cook and Hyde. Everybody else is useless!!

Rutnstrut
01-22-2017, 09:57 PM
Lang was crying because he probably tore an ACL in meaningless minutes (game was over by the time he was injured) as he becomes a free agent. I feel bad for him.

He was crying because he knows even without a major injury the Packers were probably going to let him go. Now it is almost 100% a sure thing.

Rutnstrut
01-22-2017, 09:58 PM
I can't see Michaels coming back...the guy has a screw loose and appears to be blind the way he runs into people's backside about 70% of the time.

Because there is such a large sample of plays to base this on.

Joemailman
01-22-2017, 11:25 PM

It appears Lang reinjured the foot he broke earlier this year. That's good news for him.

Bossman641
01-22-2017, 11:35 PM
Sign cook, Perry, Lang, Hyde, and lacy. Tell peppers he can title chase on a team friendly one year deal.

Sign some experienced dl as they take the longest to develop.

RashanGary
01-23-2017, 01:55 AM
I'd sign Perry, Cook, Goode, Lacy, Tretter and Hyde. I'd love to keep Lang but damn it, it's a young mans game and we have a young one to sign sadly, so I'd rather have Tretter. Ugh. That hurts though. I don't want to see Lang go after battling the way he did this year.

bobblehead
01-23-2017, 06:11 AM

I agree with order, but its going to be Cook, Perry, Hyde and the rest walk unless we get a real bargain. There are a ton of RB's on the market this year who can be decent. I think Ellington from AZ is FA, and he is very good and forgotten. Murry from Raiders. Deep draft. Tretter probably comes back pretty cheap. TT and MM might give Lang a 2 year payday out of loyalty. Goode is a veterans minimum guy so he is likley back. I would be shocked to see Michael or Julius or Barclay back at any price.

pbmax
01-23-2017, 07:43 AM
I think they'll bring back Datone cheap if possible, and I'm not sure they sign Michael unless Lacy leaves and they draft nobody at RB. I think Cook and Perry should be their top priorities, which means Goode will be the first to sign.

I hope its a late signing. He is just a body at this point. Probably better than replacement level, but not by much.

RashanGary
01-23-2017, 10:42 AM
The list of next years ufas is
Burnett
D Adams
C Lindsley
L Taylor
Dick rod
Janis
Elliot

Once this years guys are chosen, id consider early deals to a couple of next years guys too. Money could go fast.0

red
01-23-2017, 10:50 AM
Sign cook, Perry, Lang, Hyde, and lacy. Tell peppers he can title chase on a team friendly one year deal.

Sign some experienced dl as they take the longest to develop.

yes, for the love of god, stop drafting d-line. TT can't do it, he's just wasting draft picks. sign free agents there

red
01-23-2017, 10:51 AM
The list of next years ufas is
Burnett
D Adams
C Lindsley
L Taylor
Dick rod
Janis
Elliot

Once this years guys are chosen, id consider early deals to a couple of next years guys too. Money could go fast.0

TT doesn't do early contracts

Pugger
01-23-2017, 10:56 AM
I'd sign Perry, Cook, Goode, Lacy, Tretter and Hyde. I'd love to keep Lang but damn it, it's a young mans game and we have a young one to sign sadly, so I'd rather have Tretter. Ugh. That hurts though. I don't want to see Lang go after battling the way he did this year.

The problem with Tretter is he can't stay healthy. :(

Pugger
01-23-2017, 10:57 AM

wut?

RashanGary
01-23-2017, 10:59 AM

Bahktiari would disagree with you. He got an early deal as soon as TT dropped sitton .

RashanGary
01-23-2017, 11:01 AM

That's very true. He's gonna be too expensive to be a backup but too good to want to let go. I'm all for younger players because they last longer than old ones but Lang made a strong case to be the rare greybeard. That's a tough call. Gonna have to just see what they do there.

RashanGary
01-23-2017, 11:03 AM
If the Packers did resign Lang, he could have wednesdays off like sitton and peppers have at times. If he took a little less here, I'll bet he'd be more likely to earn it all because the Packers would take better care of his aging joints.

RashanGary
01-23-2017, 11:06 AM
It's either Lang or Tretter. I don't see both. Old guy who might fall off the cliff or young talented one who might not be able to stay healthy but might be a stud for 5 years. Tough decision.

gbgary
01-23-2017, 11:11 AM
of that list i'd keep all but peppers, jones, and...ah...geesh...lacy...maybe.

Smidgeon
01-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Neither could Mike Flanagan.

Upnorth
01-23-2017, 11:35 AM

Didn't Arod, Mattews, Nelson and Bakh all get early deals? Not this year, but in the past?

Carolina_Packer
01-23-2017, 12:19 PM
I guess it depends on how they feel Datone Jones is progressing. As far as I know, he was never on the injury report, yet he never seemed to stand out. He might come cheap, but I don't like giving a roster spot to a first rounder who has had his chance to stand out and has just be mediocre. Does anyone else see anything positive from Datone?

red
01-23-2017, 12:31 PM
Didn't Arod, Mattews, Nelson and Bakh all get early deals? Not this year, but in the past?

clay, jordy and bakh were both in the last year of their previous deals

to me thats not getting things done early, thats doing things when they should be done. waiting until the offseason of the last year is waiting till the last minute, and honestly, if a guys waited that long for a payday why not wait a couple more months and see what the open market brings

not sure how many years if any a-rod had when he signed the extension

red
01-23-2017, 12:33 PM
I guess it depends on how they feel Datone Jones is progressing. As far as I know, he was never on the injury report, yet he never seemed to stand out. He might come cheap, but I don't like giving a roster spot to a first rounder who has had his chance to stand out and has just be mediocre. Does anyone else see anything positive from Datone?

BUST

texaspackerbacker
01-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Uh, doesn't UFA usually mean Undrafted, not Unrestricted? Whatever.

I'd try hard to keep Cook, Hyde, and Michael. I'd make an effort on Peppers, Lang, Perry, and maybe Tretter. I wouldn't go above rock bottom minimum on the rest of the list - although that might be enough to keep Goode and Barclay (who, horrible as he was at Tackle, was adequate as a back up Guard).

pbmax
01-23-2017, 02:28 PM
Any deal done that gets some of the cap money hit on the current year and doesn't let the player take offers from outside is done early.

Done before the final contract season starts is happens only to a few.

pbmax
01-23-2017, 02:29 PM
It's either Lang or Tretter. I don't see both. Old guy who might fall off the cliff or young talented one who might not be able to stay healthy but might be a stud for 5 years. Tough decision.

I think Tretter is going to be pretty cheap. He has one season starting under his belt and two serious injuries. He's going to get something like a first round tender.

woodbuck27
01-23-2017, 02:34 PM
It appears Lang reinjured the foot he broke earlier this year. That's good news for him.

All you need to know on T. J. Lang:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/23/t-j-lang-hopes-he-hasnt-played-final-game-with-packers/

woodbuck27
01-23-2017, 02:57 PM

http://www.packers.com/team/roster/JC-Tretter/d165fa72-2754-4648-b329-35dfdff90a67

Why keep Tretter (with a wish and a prayer) that he is available?

In 4 seasons (2013-16) J.C. Tretter has dressed for 31 games and started 10.

Tretter had his most productive season as a Packer in 2016 with only 7 starts.

Would Bill Belichick hang on to such a player?

woodbuck27
01-23-2017, 02:59 PM

No.

pbmax
01-23-2017, 05:53 PM
http://www.packers.com/team/roster/JC-Tretter/d165fa72-2754-4648-b329-35dfdff90a67

Why keep Tretter (with a wish and a prayer) that he is available?

In 4 seasons (2013-16) J.C. Tretter has dressed for 31 games and started 10.

Tretter had his most productive season as a Packer in 2016 with only 7 starts.

Would Bill Belichick hang on to such a player?

Yes, because he is better than their starter and his injury this year was from friendly fire. Not a hamstring or quad pull.

gbgary
01-23-2017, 06:41 PM
Yes, because he is better than their starter and his injury this year was from friendly fire. Not a hamstring or quad pull.

and...when he's played he's played well.

no one should go unsigned unless we have someone better already in hand...and as we know o-line depth is essential.