PDA

View Full Version : Silver linings (young players who should get better)

RashanGary
01-22-2017, 07:03 PM
Kenny Clark - Big, strong, gonna be bigger, stronge t
Damarious Randall - I know he was nicked up, but he WILL be better!
Kentrell Brice - that's a talented young player right there!
Davante Adams - just turned 24, only getting better
Jordy Nelson - 2nd year after knee, off season of running
Jared Cook - just got acclaimated to offense. Gonna be better
Ripkowski - still becoming a steadier player
Montgomery - gonna improve as a runner and pass protector
Spriggs - he's a player. Likely to make big leap
Dean Lowry - played much better than expected. Gonna be more explosive/stronger/better leverage in year 2
Eddie Lacy - should be able to keep him for relatively cheap

Might lose Peppers and Lang, but I think the likely improvement far offsets the losses based on the young ascending roster.

We're gonna get another full draft

We're gonna have tens of millions of dollars to spend! Should be able to sign a veteran player who wants a shot at the SB if one is available without over sacrificing other parts of the roster.

Really tough way to finish, but I have a lot of hope for this team going forward.

SMBASS
01-22-2017, 07:22 PM
Monty needs to be back at receiver. I don't think it's good for his career or utilizes his true talents and I don't think he can hold up at that position. Kid did a great job in a pinch and really bailed us out when we needed help there this year but we have to get some real RB's on the roster.

Pugger
01-22-2017, 07:26 PM
I also hope we keep Perry if doesn't ask for the moon. The guy was still making plays one handed.

Joemailman
01-22-2017, 07:29 PM
Packers need to figure out what they have at CB. Shields is probably done. Were Randall and Rollins mistakes, or can they bounce back? I know they were injured at times, but Randall had other problems. Didn't seem to know the defense at times. Used poor technique at times. Today looked like he had lost all confidence. Gunter probably can't handle speed receivers. What looked like a deep, talented position at the beginning of the tear is now the team's achilles heel.

King Friday
01-22-2017, 07:44 PM
We need a ton of help at CB...Ted is going to have to dip into free agency, because we clearly ain't finding a fix there in the draft after Ted's 1-2 punch of Randall and Rollins came up woefully short.

Bretsky
01-22-2017, 07:51 PM
Packers need to figure out what they have at CB. Shields is probably done. Were Randall and Rollins mistakes, or can they bounce back? I know they were injured at times, but Randall had other problems. Didn't seem to know the defense at times. Used poor technique at times. Today looked like he had lost all confidence. Gunter probably can't handle speed receivers. What looked like a deep, talented position at the beginning of the tear is now the team's achilles heel.

Hopefully things change, but both look like crap draft picks at this point. Certainly room and time to improve; hopefully they do.

Rutnstrut
01-22-2017, 07:52 PM
Monty needs to be back at receiver. I don't think it's good for his career or utilizes his true talents and I don't think he can hold up at that position. Kid did a great job in a pinch and really bailed us out when we needed help there this year but we have to get some real RB's on the roster.

I have said this from the get go. He will not hold up to the pounding a full time RB takes. Even as rarely as stubby runs the ball.

Bretsky
01-22-2017, 07:52 PM
We need a ton of help at CB...Ted is going to have to dip into free agency, because we clearly ain't finding a fix there in the draft after Ted's 1-2 punch of Randall and Rollins came up woefully short.

YUP

If they step in and decide to live up to where TEd drafted them we are not as desperate

King Friday
01-22-2017, 07:58 PM
I have said this from the get go. He will not hold up to the pounding a full time RB takes. Even as rarely as stubby runs the ball.

I disagree. If he has an offseason to actually PREPARE to be a RB, he'll be fine. There are plenty of top RBs in the league who have gotten 300+ carries a year who are SMALLER than Montgomery.

That said, I certainly don't want him to be our #1 back going into next season. I'd love for him to be a #2 RB/#4 WR where we utilize his abilities to create mismatches on defense...and help create depth at both positions to help free up a roster slot elsewhere. The issue is that McCarthy doesn't have the capacity in his skill set for utilizing RBs to their maximum efficiency.

beveaux1
01-22-2017, 08:11 PM
I'm going to look at the last 4 games and try to watch the CB play. If I were pressed right now, I'd say that Randall can't cover in zone, but appears a little better in man. He lost confidence about the time of his surgery and looks to be afraid of physical contact. He just doesn't tackle and seems to avoid it.

Gunter is better in zone with deep help, but he's awkward in technique and can be exploited in man. It doesn't help that they match him on the other team's best receiver when he's this raw, but he does play physically, but doesn't have closing speed. His best role down the line is probably nickel or dime corner after he polishes his technique.

The best corner we've used is probably Hyde. He's slow but smart and can play man or zone. Technique is better than Randall or Gunter. It says something when your dime safety is your best CB. We just can't match with the Bryant's or the jones'. Total mismatch.

run pMc
01-22-2017, 09:32 PM
I think Montgomery is your 3rd down or change of pace back. Good for mismatches and hurry up offenses.
They still need a bell cow RB, and it's not Starks. It could be Lacy if he's in shape.

I think Randall was pretty beat up by injuries this year and that affected his play. Same for Rollins. Gunter is a decent backup, but you can't honestly expect him to shutdown elite WRs. (Tough to matchup anyone vs. Dez or Julio...on paper Gunter is dead meat) Hyde is the same -- you can play him a bunch of places, but play him too much and he'll get exposed. I had hope for Hawkins until the 1st Detroit game. A lot of the young guys were a little hard to trust but they should get better with another year in the system. They still need more speed and/or a legit #1 CB.

Pass rush will also help the corners out, and GB needs help there. Perry led the team, and they need more from the others.

Strange Brew
01-22-2017, 09:39 PM

Correction......Wolf is going to have to dip into free agency because the TED is being put out to pasture! See ya later Tedagator!!!

Rutnstrut
01-22-2017, 09:46 PM
Correction......Wolf is going to have to dip into free agency because the TED is being put out to pasture! See ya later Tedagator!!!

That would be awesome!!!!!

Pugger
01-22-2017, 11:59 PM
I'm going to look at the last 4 games and try to watch the CB play. If I were pressed right now, I'd say that Randall can't cover in zone, but appears a little better in man. He lost confidence about the time of his surgery and looks to be afraid of physical contact. He just doesn't tackle and seems to avoid it.

Gunter is better in zone with deep help, but he's awkward in technique and can be exploited in man. It doesn't help that they match him on the other team's best receiver when he's this raw, but he does play physically, but doesn't have closing speed. His best role down the line is probably nickel or dime corner after he polishes his technique.

The best corner we've used is probably Hyde. He's slow but smart and can play man or zone. Technique is better than Randall or Gunter. It says something when your dime safety is your best CB. We just can't match with the Bryant's or the jones'. Total mismatch.

Jones gives even speedy corners fits. I remember a game a couple of years ago against Atlanta and Sam Shields couldn't contain him. We were lucky to eke out a win that day.

pbmax
01-23-2017, 07:41 AM
Gunter doing well against Bryant and getting toasted by Jones in zone is a pretty decent case that Gunter can play. Even former Packers House and Hayward got toasted by Jones in single coverage.

Gunter probably starts next year. The question is who are the next two best?

I don't think Hyde can do it full time. There is a reason he is a hybrid safety. Randall did display some solid man coverage before he got injured (though he also had at least one early game he got burned too). Joe is right, he looks lost in zones. Rollins just never got it going this year. He didn't even make much news in camp.

My guess is that this is partially learning the position, too much info in his head, no quick reactions on the field.

Beyond that are questions. Goodson did not seem like the answer. Hawkins maybe but he might be as raw as Gunter.

Ted can draft CBs falling out of bed. I don't have any despair here like I do about pass rush. And I have more questions about the D coaching and not being able to teach zone than I do DBs.

Upnorth
01-23-2017, 09:21 AM
So Fackrell, is he even alive? is he dead space on the roster? He apparently played 13 games this year, but started 0. We were looking at a peppers replacement and have what?

red
01-23-2017, 10:10 AM
fackrell looks like bottom of the roster churn

Smidgeon
01-23-2017, 11:12 AM
fackrell looks like bottom of the roster churn

He flashed a little bit before he got injured, then nothing at all in his return.

The injured year 2 kids (Rollins/Randall) need to get healthy and focus on technique in the offseason. Hopefully this was their "Fresno Fraud" season.

The rookies will have a full NLF offseason now, giving Clark (who started coming on in the playoffs), Lowry, and Spriggs a chance to build on their successes, and giving Fackrell, Martinez, Davis, and Murphy an opportunity to grow into NFL players.

Pugger
01-23-2017, 11:12 AM

Could Randall's issues be he couldn't practice during the week and this hindered his development? I'm not ready to give up on him yet. Last year a lot of us were ready to run Davante Adams out of town on a rail.

gbgary
01-23-2017, 11:14 AM
ALL the younger should be better. after the draft and a FA season (that must be taken advantage of) we'll see how many stick through camp.

I also hope we keep Perry if doesn't ask for the moon. The guy was still making plays one handed.

he's a must. we can't afford to weaker on d!

ALL IN!

texaspackerbacker
01-23-2017, 01:45 PM
Kenny Clark - Big, strong, gonna be bigger, stronge t
Damarious Randall - I know he was nicked up, but he WILL be better!
Kentrell Brice - that's a talented young player right there!
Davante Adams - just turned 24, only getting better
Jordy Nelson - 2nd year after knee, off season of running
Jared Cook - just got acclaimated to offense. Gonna be better
Ripkowski - still becoming a steadier player
Montgomery - gonna improve as a runner and pass protector
Spriggs - he's a player. Likely to make big leap
Dean Lowry - played much better than expected. Gonna be more explosive/stronger/better leverage in year 2
Eddie Lacy - should be able to keep him for relatively cheap

Might lose Peppers and Lang, but I think the likely improvement far offsets the losses based on the young ascending roster.

We're gonna get another full draft

We're gonna have tens of millions of dollars to spend! Should be able to sign a veteran player who wants a shot at the SB if one is available without over sacrificing other parts of the roster.

Really tough way to finish, but I have a lot of hope for this team going forward.

No heroes and zeroes thread hahahahaha - probably because there basically weren't any heroes. Silver linings, though, yeah mostly you got it right. I would add Ladarious Gunter and subtract Damarious Randall to the list. I've had it with Randall failing in coverage, missing tackles, etc. If it's caused by injury, then he gets injured too damn much. He had one good game against the Giants, then stunk it up again in the next two. Rollins might end up being a keeper, but he has a long way to go. Gunter, on the other hand, held his own against three of the very best WRs in the NFL (held a little too much against Jones hahahaha). Someone compared him to Al Harris; I agree with that.

I don't think Eddie Lacy will be back. Somebody will pay him more than he is worth. I hope it isn't us.

I think Peppers can still play. Hopefully they can work something out to keep for less. It would be a shame to lose Lang, but it's very likely too he will cash in on his good year and get more than it makes sense to pay him. I am not quite as optimistic about Spriggs. Maybe he can improve, but I have seen much from him so far.

Tens of millions, should be able to sign a veteran player, yeah right to that; This is Ted Thompson we're talking about.

pbmax
01-23-2017, 06:00 PM
Could Randall's issues be he couldn't practice during the week and this hindered his development? I'm not ready to give up on him yet. Last year a lot of us were ready to run Davante Adams out of town on a rail.

He missed a lot of time this year. But he practiced the week before Atlanta. He hurt his foot the Saturday before the Cowboys.

I would wager that bad habits or a poor reaction to playing hurt had settled in by the playoffs though.

Zool
01-23-2017, 07:33 PM
Randall can't help but get better. He's fucking awful right now. Like grabby smurf awful.

I don't think that Monty should go to either WR or RB full time. Make him a hybrid. Sort of like an Hback but WR instead of TE. Line him up in the backfield and let Rodgers decide on a run/pass option at the line. His blitz pickup is kinda shitty, but he's been an RB for like 2 months. He'll get better.

Draft Cook and sign Cook. 2 cooks are bette than 1!

hoosier
01-23-2017, 07:46 PM
Monty is the answer to the defensive trending toward default nickle package. We may not want to think of him as a full-time running back, but he's going to be on the field 75+% of the time when healthy.

Joemailman
01-23-2017, 08:42 PM
So Fackrell, is he even alive? is he dead space on the roster? He apparently played 13 games this year, but started 0. We were looking at a peppers replacement and have what?

I think we have a guy with some pass rush ability who needs to spend an offseason in the weight room. He's listed at 6-5, 245. Needs to get that up to 255-260. Played earlier when there were injuries at OLB and had a couple of sacks. Got buried on the depth chart later. His time will come.

Bretsky
01-23-2017, 09:55 PM

Looks like a bad draft pick in defense to me