PDA

View Full Version : Bob McGinn Chat Wed 9/6

motife
09-06-2006, 05:10 PM
WEDNESDAY, Sept. 6, chat transcript
Bob McGinn
Journal Sentinel Packers beat writer

Bob McGinn answers your questions on the team as we start up our regular-season rotation of mid-week chats with Packers beat writers.

Q: Calvin B of Arlington Heights, IL - Bob- With the lighter and supposedly better conditioned offensive line, do you think the Packers will use the "no huddle" more often to wear down the bigger defensive lines?

A: Bob McGinn - CB: I think you will see some of that, sure. It's a good idea.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: jake becker of istanbul - Hey, Bob. Thanks for answering my question. You do a great job supporting your articles with quotes from scouts around the league. I wish all sports writers on staff could be as in depth as you. That said, according to scouts or league GMs, who are the Packers three highest valued players and what is their trade value in terms of draft picks (even though the Pack wouldn't consider trading them)? My uneducated guesses. Greg Jennings (a 5-15 number 1 and number 3), AJ Hawk (5-15 number 1 and 4) and Brett Favre (a third rounder).

A: Bob McGinn - Hi Jake: I'd say Jennings, Hawk and Barnett. It's tough to say what you could get for any of them.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Dave of Baltimore - Do you think the Packers would move Collins outside to corner and move Woodson inside to safety if Woodson continues to struggle?

A: Bob McGinn - Hi Dave: Collins is two years removed now from having played any CB. I just don't see that happening. They will go to Blackmon and Bush first.
Q: Jake of Sauk City - You know, I love potential as much as the next guy, but hasn't Ted Thompson really rolled the dice with the secondary moves? Once Woodson gets injured there will be no veteran back ups left.

A: Bob McGinn - Hi Jake: Yes, he most definitely has. But he apparently thought Hawkins and Horton were worthless. Hawkins wouldn't hit anyone. Horton was awful vs. Tenn. HE did have nice size.
Q: John Henry of Black River - Bob, If you haven't addressed this topic before, could you comment on the coaching staff in light of one rating of it as the worst in the league. What do you see? How does it compare to others in the past and around the NFL?

A: Bob McGinn - John Henry: We've got to see this team play real games. One camp and four practice games is too little of a sample to tell much of anything.
Q: Digger of Andover - Hi Bob, The Packers poor prospects for '06 seem to directly reflect the inability of Sherman to help the team at all in the 2004 and especially the 2003 draft. But, do the '05 and '06 drafts look much better? Doesn't the whole Thompson regime depend on Hawk and Rodgers eventually becoming stars, or can Thompson survive on the middle picks? What do your scout sources say about Shermy vs. Thompson as GM?

A: Bob McGinn - Hey Dig: Sherman's many mistakes in personnel left Thompson and McCarthy "high and dry looking for a ballplayer," as the carnival barkers used to say. Thompson has had 23 picks. Too early to judge most of them. He needs Rodgers and Hawk to perform. So do the Packers.
Q: Bill of Whiting - Bob, thanks for taking my question. Is there any reason to believe that the new administration of the Packers is anything special? I am talking about the leadership from the top down to the coaching staff. Out here I can't tell too much, but it looks like the Packers have tried to catch lightning in a bottle again, but there seems to be nothing that sets these guys apart from other "Joes." Jones is a hand picked protege of Harland. Thompson is hoped to be a clone of Ron Wolf. McCarthy was the offensive co=ordinator for the 49ers and familiar with the West Coast offense, like Holmgren. And the new assist. coaches are just a bunch of names right now. So far it looks like the Packers are a Chines fire drill, with everybody getting out and running around the car, with some new guys getting in and some other guys getting left out. Cliff is fond of saying that for the most part there are only a few "special play maker types" on a team, and the rest are interchangeable. Any reason to believe that the new guys will be any better than the gone guys, or is this a lot of "sound and fury signifying nothing? Last year's draft apparently resulted in one new starter at safety? This year's draft appears better, or is that just hype? Basically, I am asking is there any reason to believe this team is moving in the right direction, or are we just waiting to change leaders again in 2009?

A: Bob McGinn - Bill: I don't see much reason to be optimistic. At least not for a winning season in 2006. I know I'm repeating myself, but we don't know a darn thing yet about this coaching staff. We really don't.
Q: SCOTT of TAYLOR - Hi Bob: Great articles as always. What's your impression of Brady Poppinga? Can he possibly bring some toughness to the defense and do you think he will be an upgrade over Neil Diggs?

A: Bob McGinn - Scott: Poppinga will make mistakes. He's a converted DE, and backing up is never easy. However, he will be fun to watch and won't back down. At this point, he probably is an upgrade over the '05 version of Diggs. He is not an upgrade of Diggs in his first 3-4 years. At least not yet. Diggs was a solid starter on pretty good teams.
Q: Simon of Chippenham, England - Bob. I seem to remember when he first arrived Jags was telling anyone who would listen that he was impressed with the talent and depth on the O-Line and that it far surpassed anything he had to work with in Atlanta. Do you think he feels the same way now? From what I've read/heard more recently from him, I get the feeling he doesn't really believe his own spin.

A: Bob McGinn - Simon: No, I think he still probably does like this OL. He sees talented youth in Spitz and Moll. He is convinced Wells is better than McClure. And he has reason to like Colledge down the road.
Q: Mark Halmrast of Charlotte - What's your impression of Bob Sanders...is he up to the job? The D was solid last year. Same scheme, better personnel...yet they look worse.

A: Bob McGinn - Mark: A lot of people speak very highly of Bob Sanders. He has shown nothing yet. It all changes Sunday. Those openers are crazy. The football is so much different that what we've been watching in August. Radically different. Remember, that defense wasn't nearly as good as that No. 7 rating in yards that everybody likes to remember suggests it was.
Q: Ed of Stevens Point - No...the Packers aren't rebuilding. Why the fear of the "R" word?

A: Bob McGinn - Ed: Who fears that word? We use it all the time. They're a 4-12 team that got even younger. If that isn't rebuilding I don't know what would be.
Q: Jeff of Minneapolis - Bob, I think people are now seeing what a total failure Sherman was as a GM. In the 2002-2004 draft the Packers have basically nobody from the 2nd-4th rounds. People did not get hoe big this was because the team was still winning. Now that the talent at the starting positions has eroded, they have nobody to step in and play. I think the # of rookies on the team is more a result of total lack of talent, rather then stellar draft picks!! Also Brett is not meeting with the media as much this year and stated to Bob Costas that HE WOULD now consider playing for another team. Do you think the reality of how poor the talent is on this team has finally hit him??? Your thoughts on both please. Thanks

A: Bob McGinn - Jeff: Sherman left the organization is sad shape from a personnel standpoint. That has been hashed and rehashed, and should continue to be rehashed. Because it is true. As for Favre, I'd only be guessing what's going through his mind. Let's see if he has any desire to play for anyone after the next 17 weeks are finished.
Q: Chuck of Atlanta, GA - Bob, # 1 - based on what I saw in Pre-season from Rogers and Martin, It seems clear the Packers made a mistake in letting Craig Nall go? Do you agree? # 2 - If Ryan kicks 60-70 yards like last week how can a team cover to prevent 30 yard returns (or worse)? is kicking that far a good thing?

A: Bob McGinn - Hi Chuck: They really didn't let Nall go. Their hands were tied regarding Favre's indecision. Nall was going to come back if Favre did but he had to make a decision. Favre is the one who opened the door for Nall. Too bad Nall hurt the hamstring early on in Buffalo. I'd like to have seen him compete for the job on equal footing.
Q: will of Eau Claire - Hi Bob, It is truly sad to see the team the Packers are going to field on opening day. At the same time, a good mediocre players or worse players are being set free. When the waiver wire at cut down day produces unknown rookies no doubt added to the roster for a tryout period after they have learned the system, times are truly tough. I optimistically predict no more than 3 victories this year, that is, if Green does not fumble away 3 of those wins. Green has already fumbled once in 6 caries and at that rate is bound to lose the usual 3-4 games for the team. In addition, when Shotenheimer was here last time as secondary coach, he had the worst performing secondary in the past decade. And we have this same guy back as a coach of the secondary composed of 5 rookies? It is a sad day for packer fans. Harlan has left us with a great stadium, but not much else. Who do you think might be among the top 3 picks in the next draft?

A: Bob McGinn - Hi Will: But who knows? Everyone's outlook would change at 7 p.m. Sunday if they play great and defeat the Bears. Remember. Teams in the NFL are so evenly matched. Emotion and breaks decide a lot of games. That's why the Bears are just 3.5 point favorites. All is not lost until it really is lost on the scoreboard. All this now is talk.
Q: Kenny of Reno - Koreen Robinson?? He certainly can't be the answer to what the Packers need, can he??

A: Bob McGinn - Kenny: Nobody in their right mind would send Koren Robinson now. What kind of message would that be sending to a team's fan base? It just cannot be done.
Q: Spencer of Waterloo, ON Canada - I noticed that Ross Verba will be starting for the Detroit Lions on Sunday. In your opinion, should the Packers have pursued him more assertively?

A: Bob McGinn - Hi Spencer: The Packers have the benefit of being able to watch all the tape of Verba in Cleveland. We don't have any of that. All I know is they must improve at guard to have any chance this season. And if Verba plays better in Detroit than the guards play in GB, than the Packers should have signed him.
Q: Tim of Mesa - Is there a team out there willing to do a John Hadl or Herschel Walker type trade for Brett Favre (and another player such as Donald Driver?)? As big a fan as I am of those two, I'm willing to part with them to speed up the rebuilding process. Thanks.

A: Bob McGinn - Tim: Then you'd be flirting with 0-16. Victories, even victories few and far between, mean a lot to the every-day fan and working-class guy who lives and dies with this team each Sunday. Don't ever throw away victories for what might come in the future.
Q: Scott of Chicago - Bob: I really appreciate you answering this question. The biggest surprise for me this pre-season is just how bad the defense looks. If there was any place it appeared we upgraded it was there (Pickett, Woodson, Hawk, Hodge, Manuel). Yet the defense seems considerably worse. San Diego and Cincinnati are supposed to be very good this year, but the Titans were 0-3. Any sunshine on this horizon?

A: Bob McGinn - Scott: Please. Just do this. Watch the game Sunday and then ask yourself if what you see is even close to what you've been seeing in the practice games. These coaches scheme for 8 months preparing for this day. Let's see what Sanders and these players do when it counts. This exhibition stuff is for the birds.
Q: jackpack of Mexico City, - Please tell me your opinion of OL Costen and White...are they players or not? All we heard at the end of last year was how much potential they each had, yet, they've been very quiet in the preseason. Thanks,

A: Bob McGinn - JP: To me, White played a little better last summer than this summer. Coston is all potential. He cannot play now.
Q: C'Bear of O'Town - Bob, Knowing there is more than a likely possibility Farve could be injured with this young & VERY inexperienced o'line, do you believe Thompson is acutely aware of this possibility and is this possibly part of the strategy?

A: Bob McGinn - C'Bear: That's nasty. Plus, Favre never has been hurt and I doubt he will get hurt this season. He gets rid of it too soon to get hurt. Plus, he's in great shape and has a thick body that can take a hit. Plus, his will to play is off the charts.
Q: Randy of Onalaska, WI - I saw that in PFW you picked the Packers to finish second in the NFC North, because of young players that will develop. Which players do you feel have a chance to emerge this year?

A: Bob McGinn - Hi Randy: Jennings, of course. Wells. Spitz. Moll. Ryan. Hunter. Corey Williams. Poppinga. Hawk. Blackmon. Bush.
Q: Mark of Langhorne - The Pack plays the Eagles, the third week on Monday Night Football. Favre has never won in Philly. Do you think if he has a Tony Luke cheesesteak that night, he can pull off the upset and win his last game there?

A: Bob McGinn - Hey Mark: But only if he orders the broccoli raab with it.
Q: Mike of Ankeny, IA - Mr. McGinn, Thanks for the chat. Christl often points out that he is just doing his job and that he is not a Packer fan but rather someone who knows the ins and outs of the organization. Would you consider yourself of the same mold? Basically, are you a fan too? Just curious.

A: Bob McGinn - Mike: I'm just a reporter assigned by my employer to write about a certain subject. Being a fan doesn't even enter the equation. I'm a fan of the high school where my kids played. I have been a fan of the Detroit Tigers since childhood. That's about it.
Q: Paul H of Eden Prairie, MN - I'm a little concerned about the lack of experience at DB. Please pick one of the following rationale: 1 - TT has faith in his coaching staff and youth 2 - There is agreement with the coaching staff that "pre-pick-up" personnel can handle the dime duties 3 - The Packers think they will be beat by a large margin so often that the opposing team will never even have to pass, eliminating the need for a dime back. Keep up the good work Bob!

A: Bob McGinn - Paul H: Thompson surely must have faith in his coaches and the players that he selected. A big reason why the Packers ranked No. 1 in pass defense was everybody could run on them and they faced the second fewest pass attempts. And he thought Bush was better than guys like Hawkins and Horton. Maybe he will be. Some scouts sure liked Bush before the draft.
Q: Steve in Hawaii of Kailua - Hi Bob, thanks for the chat. If you were a bettin' man and had money riding on the Packers' season, what would you bet their won/lost record would be for the year?

A: Bob McGinn - Hi Steve: I'm all over the map. On Aug. 21, I had to predict the NFC North race for Pro Football Weekly. I put GB No. 2. Two days ago, I had to predict a record for us. I put 5-11. They could be anywhere from 2-14 to 8-8. Just a guess.
Q: Najeh's biggest fan's husband of Richmond, VA - Hi Bob! We love the chats here in Richmond, and always love your insights. Here's my question: It's obvious the Packers believe they are better off with Noah Herron and Samkon Gado than with Najeh Davenport. What have you observed or heard from your scout sources that either supports or contradicts this decision? Thanks in advance for taking our question!

A: Bob McGinn - Hi Richmond: To win a game right now as a ball carrier, I'd take Gado 1, Davenport 2 and Herron 3. To block, I'd take Gado 1, Herron 2 and Davenport 3. To catch, I'd take Herron 1, Gado 2 and Davenport 3. And to play special teams, I'd take Herron 1, Gado 2 and Davenport 3. Najeh still has a place in the NFL and probably will look better than he did this summer the longer he is removed from the bad ankle-leg injury.
Q: Rick of Boston, MA - Now that we have made the full-fledged recovery to the relative talent level of 1980’s Packers, I started thinking about how the teams of old would handle this weekend’s game. O.K., so the Bear’s have a good defense and a weak offense… so what would the bumbling Packers of the early 1980’s have done in this situation… Forrest Greg and Company, the wise football minds that they were… Sitting on the ripped-up sofa on the eastside of Madison, I vividly remember – Gary Ellerson to the right - stopped, Ellerson to the left - stopped, Lynn Dickey airs it out deep to Lofton….gosh darn - incomplete, fourth down… in comes Donny Bracken…punt. And hope that the defense can hold them with a duct tape and bailing wire combo working the secondary. We always thought, “Maybe, just maybe if they make more mistakes than the Pack, we could win this one.” “Heck, home-field advantage has gotta mean something.” Do you think we could actually witness a similar game plan or is it going to be the “New Millennium Packers” Game plan? You know, make a mistake early; get down by seven maybe ten points; look absolutely panicked, abandon anything that resembles a running game and start whippin’ the ball around like a Pop Warner practice and hope that Brett can keep the over / under on the turnovers to four or less. What to you think? Boston Rick

A: Bob McGinn - Rick: It was OK in GB until FG purged Dickey, Coffman, Koch et all in like 1986. Then it went belly-up. No, I think the days of playing not to lose and keeping it close are pretty much over. Nowadays, it's multiple wides and throw the ball and turnover city.
Q: Jeff of Findlay OH - In the SHerman era, he always seemed to be afraid of players getting hurt in preseason and as such played his first team VERY sparingly. As a result, his Packer teams never got off to a good start. It seems McCarthy has played his first team a good deal more in the pre season (last game not withstanding). I believe this will pay dividends in the early part of the season. Are the Packers going to get out of the gate a lot better than they have in the past few years?

A: Bob McGinn - Jeff: Their first two games are set up for a very impressive start. Plus, they're a healthy team.
Q: Dennis Franklin of Dexter, MI - What's up with Woodson? Is he just mailing it in, or is there nothing left there, or is he "saving it for Sunday".

A: Bob McGinn - DF: I dunno. We shall soon find out.
Q: Chuck of Pacific Palisades - I'm curious if you have tried to get an answer from Ted Thompson as to why he won't give money to either a star veteran offensive lineman or a starting veteran offensive lineman free agent?

A: Bob McGinn - Chuck: They say there was no one out there available to get.
Q: Sean Griffith of Myrtle Beach, SC - I'm afraid that much of the Packers' chances for success hinge on Charles Woodson. I know the offensive line is young and has no depth, but if the secondary is no better than last season, then the Pack has no chance to compete. During the preseason, reports were the Woodson was having great practices. Then the Cincinnati game showed him looking unqualified to be a starter. Woodson suggested that he was tired and that the longer practices attributed to his poor performance. Will the real Charles Woodson please stand up?

A: Bob McGinn - Sean: Woodson never looked great in camp. Then the Cinn performance occurred and it floored me and a lot of others. He has had it on cruise control, and why not? He doesn't need 6 weeks of all this garbage. But he does need to play, and play well, starting Sunday and every Sunday after that.
Q: Norm of Falls Church, VA - What do you think a "successful" season should generally mean. I frequently hear sports writers claiming that only a Super Bowl win will do. Personally, if my teams are in the hunt for a playoff birth all season, it's fun. If they make the playoffs, I'm pretty happy; and in most cases, if they win a game in the playoffs, I'll call it very successful. Of course, expectations need to be calibrated. If I think my team is at least getting better, that's better than nothing. The Super Bowl win was special, the loss very tough, but all these years of being very competitive were great.

A: Bob McGinn - Norm: I agree with you completely. From 1992 to '04, the Packers had a chance every year. Even last year they appeared to have a chance. Some would say they have no chance this year for the first time since 1991. Although some certainly thought the same thing in 1992, the first year for the new GM,new QB and new coach. It's about entertaining fans. One out of 32 is a pretty tall order.
Q: Brett of Charlotte, NC - Bob, In many ways the start of this season reminds me of the early days of Ron Wolf's reign. Cutting down to 51 players over the weekend looked like Wolf's MO of bottom feeding to try to get ANY kind of talent on the roster. I'm not pessimistic...but I'm certainly not optimistic about this season. But, I do like the look of TT's commitment to rebuilding from the bottom up.

A: Bob McGinn - Brett: The major difference between Wolf and Thompson is the number of trades and other acquisitions. Wolf never quit acting, at least in those first 3-4 years. Today, the Packers are much less active.
Q: Bruce L of Stevenstown, WI - Bob: Your thoughts on a debate we are having here at the office: If you were a expansion team GM and the NFL allowed you to choose anyone in the NFL to add to the new team, would it be a player in the NFL or a coach? The debate is which brings more of an impact to an NFL team. My vote is impact player over coach any day. Your pick?

A: Bob McGinn - Bruce: Player all the way.
Q: Mike D. of Minneapolis - Hey Bob, If the Pack are staring at something like 2-7 in the face, would they consider trading Favre? Could they get a #1 for him? (It's the first thing I do in Franchise Mode on Madden. Good times.) I for one would like it. I'd have another team to cheer for AND the Pack could build for the future. Win-win.

A: Bob McGinn - Hi Mike: The trading deadline is Oct. 17. Just 5 games in for GBP at that point.
Q: Mike D. of Minneapolis - Is there any reason that Thompson didn't sign ANY free agent Guards in the off season to have a little experience at that pozish? Were there none available? He had a ton of money to work with right?

A: Bob McGinn - Hi Mike: No reason. He didn't like the crop. It was on the weak side. After Hutchinson, who got megabucks from Minn, only 5-6 UFAs are starting at guard now. There's Kyle Kosier, Milford Brown, Tutan Reyes. Steve Neal resigned in NE. Then some guys got cut: Larry Allen, Kendyl Jacox, Ron Stone, Bennie Anderson. Stone still is on the street. He's 34, a former Pro Bowler. He did sign Peko and Mookie Moore. It's a crapshoot. He should have signed Roberto Garza a year ago in UFA. The team doctors didn't like the looks of his knee. Now he's a solid starter at RG for Bears. But above all, he should have taken care of Mike Wahle.
Q: charlie of fair haven, nj - bob, i can only speak for myself but i believe a majority of fans would agree with me. i'd gladly accept an 0-16 season as a price for a quicker turn around. if they could get some early draft choices for favre, driver etc., then go for it.

A: Bob McGinn - Hi Chas: I hear you. I just think you're wrong. Green Bay and this state live and die with this team. They want wins. Now. None of us knows if we'll even be here next year or the year after. Plus, you've seen how teams massacre draft picks. It doesn't require a long look to see that. Most fans will just enjoy watching Favre every Sunday, take the good with the bad and feel a whole hell of a lot better on Mondays when they win or go to the mat against a favored foe.
Q: Eric of Wauwatosa - Hi, Bob. Thanks for the chat. Why in the world is Grady Jackson signing with Atlanta being touted by some sportswriters as an "impact addition"? Impact players don't tend to sit on the street waiting for phone calls late in to the summer. Isn't there probably a reason why 31 other teams weren't all that interested in bringing him to camp? Your thoughts?

A: Bob McGinn - Eric: I'm guessing Grady didn't want any part of a long training camp. That's one reason he was on the street for so long. When he couldn't get the money back in winter, he and agent Angelo Wright just sat on it knowing there would be a market later. ATL run defense is soft. He could be an impact signing for Falcons just as he was an impact waiver pickup by GB in whatever year it was. 2003, I think. ... I want to thank all of you for the wide array of excellent questions. Thanks for reading us. And we'll talk again after the season gets rolling...Bob

Bretsky
09-06-2006, 07:16 PM
GREAT CHAT; THANKS FOR POSTING MOTIFE

THIS WAS INTERESTING AND TRUE

Q: Spencer of Waterloo, ON Canada - I noticed that Ross Verba will be starting for the Detroit Lions on Sunday. In your opinion, should the Packers have pursued him more assertively?

A: Bob McGinn - Hi Spencer: The Packers have the benefit of being able to watch all the tape of Verba in Cleveland. We don't have any of that. All I know is they must improve at guard to have any chance this season. And if Verba plays better in Detroit than the guards play in GB, than the Packers should have signed him.