PDA

View Full Version : Packers' Off Season Moves and 2017 Roster

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Teamcheez1
03-07-2017, 09:30 PM
I see a lot of surprise cuts (or not) around the NFL today.

Will the Packers cut anybody unexpectedly over the next couple of weeks?

pbmax
03-07-2017, 10:30 PM
Cook will be 30 in April. Doyle will be 27 in May. That makes a difference to NFL GMs. I know Cook has been healthy throughout his career, but he had a couple of injuries this past season. GMs are wary of guys about to turn 30 who are showing signs of breaking down.

Foot injuries freak me out. I grew up thinking every year Bill Walton would return to play but he was an old fat guy before his foot finally healed enough to play backup for the Celtics.

pbmax
03-07-2017, 10:30 PM
PFT says Lions re-signing Khyri Thornton: https://t.co/SXUlPLYIJT

pbmax
03-08-2017, 07:07 PM
Jets reported to be going big on offer to Nick Perry.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1761165-jets-taking-aim-at-perry

If there is one team I would NOT trust to evaluate personnel (even defensive side) its the Jets.

pbmax
03-08-2017, 07:17 PM
Packers have signed their punter!

pbmax
03-08-2017, 07:25 PM
Cook will be 30 in April. Doyle will be 27 in May. That makes a difference to NFL GMs. I know Cook has been healthy throughout his career, but he had a couple of injuries this past season. GMs are wary of guys about to turn 30 who are showing signs of breaking down.

Doyle got over $6 mil per year and they are trading Allen to Patriots.

Vernon Davis signed for 3 years, $15 mil, with 7.5 guaranteed ($4mil bonus).

Teamcheez1
03-09-2017, 07:38 AM
Someone else can start a new thread, but Perry has been signed to a new 5 year contract by the Packers.

QBME
03-09-2017, 07:41 AM
Someone else can start a new thread, but Perry has been signed to a new 5 year contract by the Packers.

Are you yanking our collective chains?

Teamcheez1
03-09-2017, 07:53 AM
Up on the PFT web page: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/09/report-packers-keep-nick-perry-with-five-year-deal/

pbmax
03-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Lang posted he is traveling to Home Depot today, not visiting teams. Pretty sure he was joking, but no rumors about his visits.

Hyde is rumored to have several visits lined up and one Packer writer said it looks like he will be leaving if there is that much interest. Hyde did promise to take the number back to the Packers.

pbmax
03-09-2017, 08:42 AM
Mike Garafolo‏ @MikeGarafolo 24m24 minutes ago
As Packers TE Jared Cook approaches the start of free agency, the Lions and Bills are showing the most interest, sources say.

Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein 37m37 minutes ago
With free agency deadline nearing, #Packers still aren’t making push to sign CB Micah Hyde. Perry, Lang, Cook seem to be priorities.

Deputy Nutz
03-09-2017, 10:08 AM
Packer fan is going to be pissed during the first few weeks of free agency.

pbmax
03-09-2017, 10:11 AM
Mike Garafolo‏
@MikeGarafolo
Browns working on their OL. They're working to sign G/C JC Tretter, source says. Former Packers starter at center.

IT WOULD BE A VERY UN-TED THING TO SIGN LANG TO BIG MONEY AND LOSE TRETTER, BUT THE POSITION MATCHES DON'T LINE UP. GOTTA BE HONEST, I WOULD PREFER TO SIGN TRETTER BUT GUARD WOULD HAVE HOLE LARGER THAN WHEN SITTON LEFT

Mike Garafolo‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo 4m4 minutes ago
JC Tretter will officially be a Cleveland Brown in about five hours. That deal is getting done. Expected to be their new center.

OK, HE IS GETTING STARTERS MONEY FROM A TEAM FLUSH WITH ROOM

Deputy Nutz
03-09-2017, 10:12 AM
What is crazy is I think the Packers can get Lang cheaper than they can get Tretter.

Teamcheez1
03-09-2017, 12:06 PM
What is crazy is I think the Packers can get Lang cheaper than they can get Tretter.

I will be interested to see what kind of deal Tretter gets with the Browns. He has started 10 games and missed 33 due to injury.
He is the bigger risk among Perry, Lang, and Tretter.

Teamcheez1
03-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Jayrone Elliot was not tendered the lowest RFA sum of $1.797M.

Rutnstrut
03-09-2017, 12:17 PM
You have to think the Packers didn't offer Tretter anything. Most would play for peanuts for anyone else rather than go to the Browns.

pbmax
03-09-2017, 12:20 PM
You have to think the Packers didn't offer Tretter anything. Most would play for peanuts for anyone else rather than go to the Browns.

So you would turn down Joel Bitonio's new contract to play for what? The veteran minimum?

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 7m7 minutes ago
Browns are giving Joel Bitonio a 5-year, $51 million extension that includes $23 million guaranteed, per sources.

The Browns money spends as well as anyone else's.

pbmax
03-09-2017, 12:27 PM
@ByRyanWood 2m2 minutes ago

Can confirm @RobDemovsky report #Packers didn't tender Jayrone Elliott. Still mutual interest, but Elliott weighing other offers.

Rutnstrut
03-09-2017, 12:49 PM
So you would turn down Joel Bitonio's new contract to play for what? The veteran minimum?

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 7m7 minutes ago
Browns are giving Joel Bitonio a 5-year, $51 million extension that includes $23 million guaranteed, per sources.

The Browns money spends as well as anyone else's.

I would want to win, it ain't like the money difference is going to put the player in the soup line.

pbmax
03-09-2017, 12:58 PM
I would want to win, it ain't like the money difference is going to put the player in the soup line.

Its multi-millions (with some guarantee/bonus) versus veteran minimum.

Set for life versus money enough for your retirement fund. And you might not get ANY of the veterans' minimum if you get hurt. Even in a car accident.

Not to mention a chance to start.

theeaterofshades
03-09-2017, 01:04 PM
Any word on Cook and the likelihood to return?

Rutnstrut
03-09-2017, 01:11 PM

That whole subject has been oddly quiet on NFL network.

pbmax
03-09-2017, 01:27 PM

Interest reported by two other teams. Packers had to get Perry done first. Now Spoon says Cook and Lang are on the to do list.

hoosier
03-09-2017, 01:51 PM
Poor Tretter. I wish him well, but damn, he could not have picked a worse landing spot.

pbmax
03-09-2017, 01:56 PM
@CharlesRobinson
G Kevin Zeitler has signed with the #Browns. 5 years, $60 million. $12 per, as expected.

@TomSilverstein 3m3 minutes ago
Bar is set now for @TJLang70. Gives you an idea of the guard market. Leary got $8M per year. Lang probably somewhere in between.

Deputy Nutz
03-09-2017, 02:20 PM
Packers will not sign anyone of significance outside the organization during free agency.

pbmax
03-09-2017, 03:32 PM
@RapSheet 19m19 minutes ago
Source: #Packers OG TJ Lang initially visiting Detroit and Seattle. GB still in the mix.

THE USUAL SUSPECTS

Rutnstrut
03-09-2017, 03:32 PM

Don't be surprised if TT screws the pooch on Lang.

Rutnstrut
03-09-2017, 03:34 PM
Packers will not sign anyone of significance outside the organization during free agency.

That's not really breaking news. But hey, they have Rodgers so they might luck out. More likely Rodgers suffers a significant injury trying to do it all.

Rutnstrut
03-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Poor Tretter. I wish him well, but damn, he could not have picked a worse landing spot.

At least he will be a well paid starter. I guess that's more important than being a decently paid backup on a winning team. That is IF the Pack offered him anything.

Teamcheez1
03-09-2017, 03:41 PM
At least he will be a well paid starter. I guess that's more important than being a decently paid backup on a winning team. That is IF the Pack offered him anything.

If you're signing with the Browns, there are a whole lot of other teams that don't think much of you either.

gbgary
03-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Packers offered their 1st rnd pick to the bears if they'd keep cutler. they turned the Packers down. :-)

pbmax
03-09-2017, 04:06 PM
@RapSheet 17m17 minutes ago
#Packers RB Eddie Lacy has multiple teams interested and will likely take visits. Jared Cook still not yet re-signed by the Pack

@BobMcGinn 9m9 minutes ago
Of their own free agents, the #Packers' off-season priorities were Perry and Cook. Neither Lang nor anyone else was close to a priority.

DID HE WRITE THIS BEFORE FA OPENED UP?

Sparkey
03-09-2017, 04:06 PM
I saw a few player rating charts that had Lang rated higher than Zeitler. Lang to another team will take 10-12 per year. I think he stays in GB for 8-9 if the guaranteed money is equal.

pbmax
03-09-2017, 04:07 PM
@TomSilverstein 21m21 minutes ago
#Packers CB Micah Hyde’s deal is worth $30.5 million over 5 years. Way more than GB was willing to pay. Probably could have had him for $5M.

GOOD FOR MICAH, BUT WTF?

:shock:

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account
@RapSheet

The #Bills are giving Micah Hyde $30M over 5 years, source said. $32.5M max. $14M guaranteed

Sparkey
03-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Micah Hyde to Bills. 5 yrs 30 mil I believe

Sparkey
03-09-2017, 04:10 PM
Crazy isn't it ? Monopoly money for Marvin Gardens ?

pbmax
03-09-2017, 04:10 PM
@RapSheet
#Packers RB Eddie Lacy is set to visit the #Seahawks, #Vikings and #Packers, per @_SportsTrust

Tom Silverstein Retweeted Ian Rapoport
#Packers?

pbmax
03-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Free read on scout.com about Lang's market with other Guard deals today.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1761533-lang-will-visit-seattle-detroit

Teamcheez1
03-09-2017, 04:19 PM
#Packers CB Micah Hyde’s deal is worth $30.5 million over 5 years. Way more than GB was willing to pay. Probably could have had him for $5M.

GOOD FOR MICAH, BUT WTF?

@RapSheet

The #Bills are giving Micah Hyde $30M over 5 years, source said. $32.5M max. $14M guaranteed

I wouldn't pay him more than half that.

gbgary
03-09-2017, 04:48 PM
I wouldn't pay him more than half that.

they may not by much too. depends on how long he hangs on there. hope it doesn't turn into a hayward situation.

Smidgeon
03-09-2017, 05:02 PM

Don't know about that. Their o-line could soon be really good with the way they're prioritizing that line.

QBME
03-09-2017, 05:36 PM
Don't know about that. Their o-line could soon be really good with the way they're prioritizing that line.

QFT

Plus they have the #1 - the guy from Texas A&M. Defensive beast.

Now they'll dump Osweiller and sign Cutler. LOL...

Upnorth
03-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Hyde will look very good in the bills defence. I think he will have a big impact there, not Hayward big, but big.

gbgary
03-09-2017, 06:03 PM
Hyde will look very good in the bills defence. I think he will have a big impact there, not Hayward big, but big.

then we should have kept him.

Rutnstrut
03-09-2017, 06:32 PM

Probably will as he will have a better D coordinator.

Teamcheez1
03-09-2017, 06:58 PM
Never thought I'd read about people whining over the loss of Micah Hyde.

Zool
03-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Never thought I'd read about people whining over the loss of Micah Hyde.

Would have been nice to keep him, but that's a lot of cash for a Swiss Army knife, jack of all trades master of none, sort of guy.

run pMc
03-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Hyde is a decent player, but yeah, he had limitations. They need to get faster at CB.
So they've lost House, Tramon, Hayward, Shields, and Hyde in the last 3 years?

CB would seem to be a priority in the draft, if not Week 2 of FA for Ted. (He won't sign anyone until next week when the frenzy dies down.)

Not surprised by Tretter leaving. Good for him. I don't think he'll make it through more than one 16 game season...he's hurt too much. It's a meh thing for me, Linsley can play.

I'd expect they will get some comp picks for these next year.

pbmax
03-09-2017, 08:40 PM
I hope they aren't planning on playing him exclusively at outside CB.

pbmax
03-09-2017, 08:52 PM
Michael Cohen

#Packers are bringing back G/C Don Barclay on a 1-year deal worth up to $1.3 million. Barclay is now the backup center with Tretter gone.

pbmax
03-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Jason La Canfora

Browns gave JC Tretter $10M guaranteed. Deal worth $11M for two years and $16.75m for 3 yrs should he still be there

BZnDallas
03-09-2017, 09:34 PM
So with Hyde getting a $30 million deal and Lang getting 10-12 mil per year contract and Tretter getting his $16+, where might that put the Packers in comp picks next year? I know its not an exact science but $30 from Hyde and the $40-$50 Lang could that possibly bring a 3 and 4? Maybe a 5/6 for Tretter? Seemed to me there were a lot more 3s given out this year than usual. Be nice to get a couple extra 3s.

pittstang5
03-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Looks like Barclay was resigned. Can someone, please, for the love of God, beat him out at Training camp.

pbmax
03-09-2017, 10:02 PM
So with Hyde getting a $30 million deal and Lang getting 10-12 mil per year contract and Tretter getting his $16+, where might that put the Packers in comp picks next year? I know its not an exact science but $30 from Hyde and the $40-$50 Lang could that possibly bring a 3 and 4? Maybe a 5/6 for Tretter? Seemed to me there were a lot more 3s given out this year than usual. Be nice to get a couple extra 3s.

Hayward got slightly more than $15 million, and included $6.8 million in guarantees. He earned the Packers a fifth rounder. Al the number are up, so hard to say what Hyde's deal will deliver. If he starts most of the games, might be better. $6 mil per year would get you the fourth round this year.

Tretter is closer to Hayward in a market with more dollars. His best case might be a fifth.

Lang, if he gets up to $12 would have been 3rd round.

Compensation picks with what they call the Real APY: http://overthecap.com/2017-compensatory-draft-picks-update-5102016/

pbmax
03-09-2017, 10:03 PM
Looks like Barclay was resigned. Can someone, please, for the love of God, beat him out at Training camp.

If he just backs up at center, it'll be OK. If he is at Guard then we need to start praying.

pbmax
03-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Jordan Schultz‏ @Schultz_Report
Source: #Seahawks will likely have to cut 2-3 core players to make room for a costly TJ Lang. SEA wants him badly but has 2 weigh both sides

Nathan Jahnke ‏@PFF_NateJahnke 43m43 minutes ago
Only players Seattle can cut and save $1.5m or more: Earl Thomas, Jimmy Graham, Kam Chancellor, KJ Wright, Cliff Avril, Garry Gilliam

BE CAREFUL WITH THESE, I HAVE NO IDEA WHO THEY ARE. COHEN RETWEETED THEM

pbmax
03-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Rob Demovsky‏ @RobDemovsky 5m5 minutes ago
First look at Micah Hyde's full contract with/BUF: 5 years, $30.5M. $8M signing bonus. $14M guaranteed. Ave of $6.1M is 14th among safeties

Getting my first look at JC Tretter's deal with the Browns: Three years, $4.5M signing bonus, $10M guaranteed. Ave of $5.583M per year.

pbmax
03-09-2017, 10:27 PM
Rob Demovsky‏ @RobDemovsky 7h7 hours ago
Not only did the Packers decide not to tender Jayrone Elliott, they also didn't tender LB Jordan Tripp or RB John Crockett.

Rutnstrut
03-09-2017, 10:51 PM
So is it a done deal that Lang is gone?

Smidgeon
03-09-2017, 10:52 PM
Source: #Seahawks will likely have to cut 2-3 core players to make room for a costly TJ Lang. SEA wants him badly but has 2 weigh both sides

Nathan Jahnke ‏@PFF_NateJahnke 43m43 minutes ago
Only players Seattle can cut and save $1.5m or more: Earl Thomas, Jimmy Graham, Kam Chancellor, KJ Wright, Cliff Avril, Garry Gilliam

BE CAREFUL WITH THESE, I HAVE NO IDEA WHO THEY ARE. COHEN RETWEETED THEM

I know it's a business, but I'd hate to see Lang with the Seahawks. I actually didn't care about Sitton going to the Bears, but the Seahawks? Worse than even the 9ers, and I have to put up with fans of those jokers every day.

Rutnstrut
03-09-2017, 11:08 PM
If they actually do let Lang get away, it's a cluster of epic proportions imo. TT will keep fucking with the continuity of the O-line and get Rodgers hurt badly.

King Friday
03-10-2017, 12:44 AM
If they actually do let Lang get away, it's a cluster of epic proportions imo. TT will keep fucking with the continuity of the O-line and get Rodgers hurt badly.

Everyone said the same when Sitton was chopped.

Thompson has been fairly consistent at putting enough talent on the OL. He hits more than he misses there, and it is always an advantage to have a capable YOUNG player on the lines. I'm not overly concerned with losing any OL player approaching 30 years of age.

texaspackerbacker
03-10-2017, 04:00 AM

hahahaha Yeah, he'll be crying all the way to the bank. Congrats to him for really grabbing a nice chunk of Browns money. Ditto that for former Badger Zeitler. And how about that Hyde? I was hoping the Packers would keep him, but sheeeesh, for that kind of money, kiss him good bye. If Lang can skin somebody for the same type of deal, more power to him also. I won't blame Ted for not matching it. And Lacy? Him in Seattle as the new Marshawn is a little bit scary, but honestly, I'd rather risk that and have the Packers go smaller/faster with Montgomery etc. than to pay Lacy what he will probably get elsewhere.

I really hope Ted gets us a top quality FA Corner or at least Conner Barwin for fairly cheap, but I'm afraid Nutz is right - he won't pick up anybody of substance.

At least sign Cook, Ted. He's the top priority of our own FAs in my book.

Carolina_Packer
03-10-2017, 06:04 AM

My understanding is that it's a one-year "prove it" deal. ;-)

Carolina_Packer
03-10-2017, 06:09 AM
I hope they speak to Connor Barwin. With Peppers moving on, you get pass rush help that they desperately need, and veteran depth at OLB. Jayrone Elliott may be back, but who knows, and he has not ascended with defensive snaps like many thought he might. Hopefully Fackrell can develop, but a guy like Barwin, who is also a good on/off field guy, could be needed depth, so that if Clay gets dinged again, that they have another way to generate pressure.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/3/9/14868596/nfl-free-agency-eagles-release-de-olb-connor-barwin-should-packers-call

Fritz
03-10-2017, 06:36 AM
Okay, so Peppers wants to play but the Packers have said thanks but no thanks? Is that what I'm getting from Carolina's post?

And as for Lang, well, he's as good as gone. The Lions are hot for him, and Seattle is interested - I don't see TT paying upwards of 9 mill a year for a guy who's as beat up as Lang is. Whoever signs him is getting a guy who'll likely only be able to play at a high level for a year before he's hurt again. As much as I love the guy, it's probably time to let someone else overpay.

How's the draft of OLB's? I know you guys love the names you know - the Connor Barwins - but I"m ready for some young blood in the form of an early round OLB pick, and maybe another in the mid rounds. Get yourself two CB's, 2 OLB's, and maybe a later round defensive lineman. Get some young blood in there.

Bretsky
03-10-2017, 06:49 AM
I hope they speak to Connor Barwin. With Peppers moving on, you get pass rush help that they desperately need, and veteran depth at OLB. Jayrone Elliott may be back, but who knows, and he has not ascended with defensive snaps like many thought he might. Hopefully Fackrell can develop, but a guy like Barwin, who is also a good on/off field guy, could be needed depth, so that if Clay gets dinged again, that they have another way to generate pressure.

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2017/3/9/14868596/nfl-free-agency-eagles-release-de-olb-connor-barwin-should-packers-call

THIS

Deputy Nutz
03-10-2017, 08:08 AM
Okay, so Peppers wants to play but the Packers have said thanks but no thanks? Is that what I'm getting from Carolina's post?

And as for Lang, well, he's as good as gone. The Lions are hot for him, and Seattle is interested - I don't see TT paying upwards of 9 mill a year for a guy who's as beat up as Lang is. Whoever signs him is getting a guy who'll likely only be able to play at a high level for a year before he's hurt again. As much as I love the guy, it's probably time to let someone else overpay.

How's the draft of OLB's? I know you guys love the names you know - the Connor Barwins - but I"m ready for some young blood in the form of an early round OLB pick, and maybe another in the mid rounds. Get yourself two CB's, 2 OLB's, and maybe a later round defensive lineman. Get some young blood in there.

The draft is deep with edge rushers. The Packers should have enough to pick from with the 30th pick in terms of corners or edge rushers.

What concerns me for the time being is losing Tretter and most likely losing Lang. The Packers will have to look to improve the offensive line.

I didn't like the amount of money paid to Perry, but apparently he was the top priority for Thompson and the Packers. Even bringing him back the Packers still don't have the depth needed on the edge and will have to improve the depth somewhere this off season.

Currently the Packers have needs at : Corner, running back, offensive line, edge rushers, and defensive line. I think the Packers front office have added more questions this off season about the quality on the roster then have answered questions about solidifying the roster to make a legit run to the Super Bowl.

Pugger
03-10-2017, 08:14 AM

Well, the thinking at 1265 might be to move Bulaga inside and put Spriggs at RT. That might not be a bad idea if somebody offers Lang a ton a money.

Deputy Nutz
03-10-2017, 08:19 AM
The offensive line needs depth especially if Tretter and Lang do not resign. I would think that they would give Barclay a shot at guard, but possibly move Bulaga inside and try Spriggs at Right Tackle.
Then look for the Packers to snag a couple of linemen no sooner than the middle of the draft.

It's what I have been saying for the last couple of days.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2017, 09:01 AM
At least sign Cook, Ted. He's the top priority of our own FAs in my book.

Perry than Cook for me. Sign vet CB, high pick at CB and OLB (draft is deep in them) were the other priorities. Lang would be nice, but not at $10m/year. I'd also like to see Lacy back on a reasonable, one year deal.

Smidgeon
03-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Perry than Cook for me. Sign vet CB, high pick at CB and OLB (draft is deep in them) were the other priorities. Lang would be nice, but not at $10m/year. I'd also like to see Lacy back on a reasonable, one year deal.

Apparently Cook talks have "broken off". Must be a big difference between how Cook sees his value and how the Packers do.

pbmax
03-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Packer Report

Hearing Barwin has some options. GB among them.

pbmax
03-10-2017, 11:05 AM
RapSheet

Reunion: The #Panthers are working to bring back veteran pass-rusher and old friend Julius Peppers, sources say.

pbmax
03-10-2017, 11:19 AM
Joe Person (might be troll but Silverstein retweeted it)

Panthers closing in on deal to bring Julius Peppers back, per source.

woodbuck27
03-10-2017, 11:58 AM
RapSheet

Reunion: The #Panthers are working to bring back veteran pass-rusher and old friend Julius Peppers, sources say.

That would be good for Julius Peppers rather than any hope and a Super Bowl with Green Bay.

Deputy Nutz
03-10-2017, 12:04 PM
I think he has just a good of a chance going to a Super Bowl with Carolina as he would the Packers

gbgary
03-10-2017, 12:16 PM
good luck to him. it was fun!

smuggler
03-10-2017, 12:49 PM
I think he has just a good of a chance going to a Super Bowl with Carolina as he would the Packers

If by that you mean neither team has a chance. Because Carolina has no chance.

esoxx
03-10-2017, 12:52 PM
Well, the thinking at 1265 might be to move Bulaga inside and put Spriggs at RT. That might not be a bad idea if somebody offers Lang a ton a money.

Bad idea as you would be weakening two positions on the line. Lang is a better guard than Bulaga, Spriggs is not a better RT than Bulaga (at least at this stage). If they lose Lang I would rather they try a greenhorn like Lucas Patrick who apparently they like at guard and keep Bulaga at RT. Perhaps Patrick can hold his own like Taylor did. If not, they can always fall back to Don "I blow" Barclay or start juggling.

Carolina_Packer
03-10-2017, 02:03 PM

I was just going off information that was out there a few days ago that said Peppers wants to play again this year, but that likely won't be with the Packers. That's why a 30 year old Connor Barwin would make sense. I'm not saying he's the second coming of Peppers, but he'd be that veteran presence to work with Clay and Nick to generate pressure. In a 3-4, the LB's are supposed to be the stars.

3irty1
03-10-2017, 02:57 PM
Packer Report

Hearing Barwin has some options. GB among them.

This seems like some of the smartest dollars one could spend in FA right now if you plan on running a 3-4. I imagine his price will be a bit lower than Perry's but with a little more guaranteed.

The NY Giants have proven the "mullet" approach to defense-building. Get yourself sorted out up front and leave it trash in the back.

red
03-10-2017, 03:44 PM

then we have zero depth on the line

and no, barclay doesn't count, he shouldn't be in the nfl, much less on the packers

and you know someone or some two or three guys are gonna be lost for the season on that line

red
03-10-2017, 03:45 PM
Jason La Canfora

Browns gave JC Tretter $10M guaranteed. Deal worth $11M for two years and $16.75m for 3 yrs should he still be there

thats a deal TT should have done in a heartbeat

terrible

red
03-10-2017, 03:52 PM

GOOD FOR MICAH, BUT WTF?

@RapSheet

its a fake number

its 8 million guaranteed in a signing bonus. then they went ahead and said the first two years are guaranteed because, duh, they just gave him an 8 million dollar signing bonus. base salaries on 2.3 and 3.7 the first 2 years

= 14 million "guaranteed"

they can actually dump him after 2017 and not take a negative cap hit

red
03-10-2017, 04:07 PM
i really don't like the idea that lacy is spending today and part of tomorrow with the seahawks, then the rest of tomorrow and sunday with the queens before coming to green bay

Joemailman
03-10-2017, 04:25 PM
i really don't like the idea that lacy is spending today and part of tomorrow with the seahawks, then the rest of tomorrow and sunday with the queens before coming to green bay

It could mean he's going to give the Packers a chance to match whatever offer he gets elsewhere. Is that bad?

red
03-10-2017, 04:36 PM
It could mean he's going to give the Packers a chance to match whatever offer he gets elsewhere. Is that bad?

thats one way to look at it, the other is that he's giving other teams every chance in the world to sign him away from green bay.

if he's just trying to get a number to show the packers, then why is he spending multiple days with other teams?

or the team could have given him a deal before our rivals dictated his value to us

Rutnstrut
03-10-2017, 04:39 PM

The only way that isn't bad is if the Packers have nothing to match. TT is so fucking cheap, that he will not match anyone.

Teamcheez1
03-10-2017, 04:45 PM
Pretty grumpy people on here today. I see free agency progressing as it usually does every year. We are not going to break the bank for marginal players or overspend for the top tier.

Open a cold one and enjoy your Friday!

gbgary
03-10-2017, 05:08 PM
ian rappoport just said pretty much forget about cook.

gbgary
03-10-2017, 05:26 PM
martellus bennett signed by the Packers!!

KYPack
03-10-2017, 05:27 PM
They did what HW wanted. Signed Perry and are walking on Cook.

Barclay just signed, if anyone gives a shit.

Oh yeah, sign House. He can still play, he got benched in a political deal in JAX

Teamcheez1
03-10-2017, 05:54 PM
I think some of you believe that TT woke up from a nap and said "Oh yeah, free agency starts today, I wonder who is available?"
TT is probably working 18 hours a day, 7 days a week to try and improve this team.

red
03-10-2017, 06:29 PM
I think some of you believe that TT woke up from a nap and said "Oh yeah, free agency starts today, I wonder who is available?"
TT is probably working 18 hours a day, 7 days a week to try and improve this team.

through the draft

you forgot to add that last bit, then you would have nailed TT on a normal year when his QB isn't yelling at him to do something different

gbgary
03-10-2017, 06:32 PM
through the draft

you forgot to add that last bit, then you would have nailed TT on a normal year when his QB isn't yelling at him to do something different

this!

Rodgers "all in" was a not so subtle message.

Joemailman
03-11-2017, 07:48 AM
A little worried about this T.J. Lang situation. Lions lost Larry Warford to the Saints. They could really use Lang. They don't have as much cap room as the Packers, but they have enough to sign him (26 million). And Lang might not mind playing for his hometown team. Lang is in a good situation here.

Joemailman
03-11-2017, 07:53 AM
TJ Lang‏Verified account @TJLang70 Mar 9
More
TJ Lang Retweeted Cameron McCarthy
Possibly best tweet of the day.TJ Lang added,
Cameron McCarthy @cmccarthy12
@TJLang70 listen, just got off the phone w/ Ted, we'll give you $100M for 3 years, all guaranteed, best part is we got Mexico to pay for it
23 replies 174 retweets 1,008 likes
Reply 23 Retweet 174
Like 1.0K

Fritz
03-11-2017, 07:54 AM
I love TJ Lang, but is he maybe too banged up to be a good value on a big money four year deal, which is what I heard he wanted? He's a steady old pro, and there's a lot to be said for that. I'm not against signing the guy, but will he be worth the eight or nine mill a year or whatever the market is bearing?

pbmax
03-11-2017, 09:47 AM
Lang is completing his tour (Lions, Seahawks) without a team refusing to let him get on the plane before they struck a deal.

That means he knows what his market is, no deal beat it substantially (or he doesn't really want to play there) and he now has a choice. He can wait to see of something goes wrong with other team's plans and gets a better offer late, or he chooses a deal before the draft. A report that I had not heard of had a trip to Denver cancelled after the Broncos signed Ron Leary (4years/$35mil).

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/03/10/packers-risk-losing-jared-cook/99023680/

See bottom of Martellus article for TJ update.

red
03-11-2017, 09:52 AM
Lang is completing his tour (Lions, Seahawks) without a team refusing to let him get on the plane before they struck a deal.

That means he knows what his market is, no deal beat it substantially (or he doesn't really want to play there) and he now has a choice. He can wait to see of something goes wrong with other team's plans and gets a better offer late, or he chooses a deal before the draft. A report that I had not heard of had a trip to Denver cancelled after the Broncos signed Ron Leary (4years/$35mil).

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/03/10/packers-risk-losing-jared-cook/99023680/

thats good for us, unless someone offered him big money and he's trying to get green bay to match or pass it

i think lossing lang might really piss off a-rod imo

pbmax
03-11-2017, 10:07 AM
Before Bennett, but after Perry, Barclay and restricted tenders, Packers had 31.6 million in cap room.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/03/10/packers-316-million-under-cap-after-perry-deal/99031240/

red
03-11-2017, 10:09 AM
Before Bennett, but after Perry, Barclay and restricted tenders, Packers had 31.6 million in cap room.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/03/10/packers-316-million-under-cap-after-perry-deal/99031240/

so we still have about 28 million free

red
03-11-2017, 10:14 AM

who are those two assholes?

how bout a few of us fire up the webcams and tape a show and call ourselves "packer experts"

BZnDallas
03-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Lang and House would be huge. Add a good draft to that and a surprising firing/resignation from Dom and this off season is looking up!!

Joemailman
03-11-2017, 11:02 AM
Random thoughts:

The biggest cap hits of Perry's contract occur after Clay Matthews' current contract has expired.
Hyde probably nets a 5th round comp pick next year.
Peppers maybe a 6th-7th.
Hopefully Jared Cook gets a good enough contract somewhere to cancel out Bennett signing in comp pick equation.
Losing Lang would likely net a 3rd. 4th at worst.
No clue about Lacy's worth.

gbgary
03-11-2017, 11:20 AM

well...he is coming off the hip surgery and can't do anything until camp. that could have something to do with it.

red
03-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Random thoughts:

The biggest cap hits of Perry's contract occur after Clay Matthews' current contract has expired.
Hyde probably nets a 5th round comp pick next year.
Peppers maybe a 6th-7th.
Hopefully Jared Cook gets a good enough contract somewhere to cancel out Bennett signing in comp pick equation.
Losing Lang would likely net a 3rd. 4th at worst.
No clue about Lacy's worth.

peppers, if we go by this years numbers would have been a 6th BUT, there are only 32 allowed comp picks each year and the 3.5 million dollar deal would have been the 4th to lat pick

so if numbers go up this year, we might get cut out of the loop on him

so yeah, 6th at best, nothing at worst

pbmax
03-11-2017, 01:00 PM
well...he is coming off the hip surgery and can't do anything until camp. that could have something to do with it.

Fair point, he might not pass a physical right now.

gbgary
03-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Packers sign another tight end...lance kendricks.

packers-add-tight-end-depth-by-signing-lance-kendricks (http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1252403-report-packers-add-tight-end-depth-by-signing-lance-kendricks)

Pugger
03-11-2017, 03:51 PM
packers sign another tight end...lance kendricks.

What have they done with TT? Who is this person posing as our GM? ;-)

SMBASS
03-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Really like the Kendricks signing. He caught 50 passes for a 10 yd. avg. with the woeful Rams last season. Ted and M.M. making sure that if our #1 TE goes down for any length of time again this season the cupboard won't be completely bare. (Seems to happen fairly often for some reason.) Our O is a lot more potent when we have a legitimate TE target In the mix. Bennett and Kendricks could make for some interesting 2 TE sets.

Now go get Barwin to replace Peppers/Jones and provide flexibility for moving Clay inside & out.

pbmax
03-11-2017, 04:40 PM
Demovsky, ESPN

Bennett’s salary-cap charge is lowest in the first year. According to ESPN Stats & Info, the Packers still have slightly more than $29 million in cap space available for this season.

Posted at 1:30 PM, so it should include Barclay and tenders, though its not official.

Demo also came around to red and La Canfora's contract numbers of 3/$21 for Bennett.

Cheesehead Craig
03-11-2017, 06:13 PM
C'mon TT, sign those 2 vet CBs to help stabilize the secondary.

pbmax
03-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Jason Wilde retweeted

Sources: #Seahawks just finished w/TJ Lang and his wife. Meeting/pitch went "great" and Lang may have an answer 4 SEA as early as tomorrow.

And he followed the Seahawks on Twitter. Wilde reads as early as tomorrow as he is taking the deal back to the Packers.

Rutnstrut
03-11-2017, 08:16 PM
Jason Wilde retweeted

Sources: #Seahawks just finished w/TJ Lang and his wife. Meeting/pitch went "great" and Lang may have an answer 4 SEA as early as tomorrow.

And he followed the Seahawks on Twitter. Wilde reads as early as tomorrow as he is taking the deal back to the Packers.

TT is doing ok so far, he better not fuck up with Lang.

Pugger
03-11-2017, 11:36 PM
TT is doing ok so far, he better not fuck up with Lang.

It will all depend upon what Seattle is offering Lang if we can/care to match it.

Fritz
03-12-2017, 08:59 AM
who are those two assholes?

how bout a few of us fire up the webcams and tape a show and call ourselves "packer experts"

Now that's a damn good idea, Red. You slugging some Jack straight up out of the bottle. You'd connect to dem old time Packer fans from up der in de nort, eh? You could end every segment with "Fire 'em all, I say."

I'd watch that.

pbmax
03-12-2017, 10:02 AM
So if there was any germ of truth about Mike being made about Ted's player procurement strategy, it seems to have been about TEs.

Somehow we should have known this. In fact, I predict they sign a FB off the street inside of a month.

Teamcheez1
03-12-2017, 10:19 AM
Lacy visits the Seahawks and leaves with no deal. Now visiting the Vikings over the weekend.
People may not be as enamored with him as we think.

Rumor has it that he has been checking out the all-you-can-eat buffets during his visits.

pbmax
03-12-2017, 11:38 AM
Lang still weighing three offers:

ProFootballTalk‏Verified account @ProFootballTalk 13m13 minutes ago
Lions, Packers and Seahawks still in the running for T.J. Lang, and his decision is coming soon

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/12/t-j-lang-down-to-lions-packers-and-seahawks/related/

pbmax
03-12-2017, 11:52 AM
If you go by Twitter follows, Lang follows the Seahawks and not the Packers or Lions that I could find. He followed them yesterday.

gbgary
03-12-2017, 12:00 PM
If you go by Twitter follows, Lang follows the Seahawks and not the Packers or Lions that I could find. He followed them yesterday.

saw that. not a good sign for Packers but that hip is still a question mark.

bobblehead
03-12-2017, 12:09 PM
Wait for the Andre Ellington signing...this is my Randy Starks pick of 2017.

bobblehead
03-12-2017, 12:22 PM
Also, the ONE position that still has several quality players available in FA is ILB. And lets face it, our D was so shitty that we can't rule out upgrading ANY position.

red
03-12-2017, 12:37 PM
so, with lang officially gone, we have almost 30 million to spend, and really only lacy that we could still bring back

begin the spending on the defense

wist43
03-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Also, the ONE position that still has several quality players available in FA is ILB. And lets face it, our D was so shitty that we can't rule out upgrading ANY position.

Problem is, Ted's philosophy is draft and develop; hence, Ted's "upgrades" on defense are already on the roster.

Obviously TT is counting on Ryan, Martinez, Fackrell, Clark, and Lowry making significant strides... of course the problem is that all of those players have shown to have relatively low ceilings. Of that group, Lowry looks to have the most potential, but that isn't saying much.

Clark was wwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy overdrafted, and I'm not expecting much from him - he already looks like a bust. All the rest have pedestrian written all over them.

The Packers as an organization don't really care much about playing good defense - witness who they keep on as their DC year after dismal year. TT did manage to assemble a reasonable amount of defensive talent which peaked a couple of years ago; but, of course, Dunderdummy managed to make a colossal mess of it, and we got bounced from the playoffs in embarrassing fashion once again.

This team will not win another championship as long as TT and Dom are calling the shots in their respective positions.

gbgary
03-12-2017, 02:41 PM
Problem is, Ted's philosophy is draft and develop; hence, Ted's "upgrades" on defense are already on the roster.

idk. he's been uncharacteristically bold this week. i'm cautiously optimistic that he'll make a defensive signing.

yetisnowman
03-12-2017, 02:44 PM
Remember when the apologist's narrative was that we had to be frugal the last few seasons because we had to keep something in the kitty to re-sign our o-line? Now in less than a year...Sitton, Lang, Tretter....all gone. Hopefully Ted will continue to add pieces on defense to make up for these losses.

BZnDallas
03-12-2017, 03:07 PM
Remember when the apologist's narrative was that we had to be frugal the last few seasons because we had to keep something in the kitty to re-sign our o-line? Now in less than a year...Sitton, Lang, Tretter....all gone. Hopefully Ted will continue to add pieces on defense to make up for these losses.

Didn't 2 tackles get new deals? Bulaga and Bahk and now Barclay? Maybe he just wants B last names? Or maybe Linsley getting some coin soon ups the difference 4-3 and TT really just uses money in the kitty to improve the team where he thinks its needed? Like Perry, Bennett, Kendrick to go along with the Oline. I think its silly to think TT is frugal so he can zero in on 1 position to improve. With arguably the best QB in football, i'd prefer to pay my tackles more money than my guards. Maybe thats an apologists way of thinking, but AR can see better in front of him, not both sides of him.

yetisnowman
03-12-2017, 03:28 PM
Didn't 2 tackles get new deals? Bulaga and Bahk and now Barclay? Maybe he just wants B last names? Or maybe Linsley getting some coin soon ups the difference 4-3 and TT really just uses money in the kitty to improve the team where he thinks its needed? Like Perry, Bennett, Kendrick to go along with the Oline. I think its silly to think TT is frugal so he can zero in on 1 position to improve. With arguably the best QB in football, i'd prefer to pay my tackles more money than my guards. Maybe thats an apologists way of thinking, but AR can see better in front of him, not both sides of him.

Over the last few years, re-signing guys like Lang and Sitton were major talking points for people ok with us being inactive in free agency. I'm very happy with our tackles being secure, but if this off-season ends up with us keeping Perry, trading Cook for Bennett/Kendicks and losing Lang, Tretter, Hyde, Shields, Starks, Lacy thats sort of frustrating. Now a few moves could turn all that around.

Joemailman
03-12-2017, 03:30 PM

Or maybe he'll just keep drafting really good offensive linemen in the middle rounds. Sitton 4th round, Lang 4th round, Tretter 4th round, Bakhtiari 4th round, Linsley 5th round etc.

pbmax
03-12-2017, 04:39 PM

Yeah, I forgot there are only 3 paying O line positions. 2 Guards and backup Center.

red
03-12-2017, 04:53 PM
Or maybe he'll just keep drafting really good offensive linemen in the middle rounds. Sitton 4th round, Lang 4th round, Tretter 4th round, Bakhtiari 4th round, Linsley 5th round etc.

by my count we need 2 of those guys

i'm assuming spriggs is gonna start somewhere

so we need rookies that can step in right away and be a backup and probably start more then a few games because of injuries at G/T and another for C/G

and no, fucking barclay doesn't fit either of those roles imo

yetisnowman
03-12-2017, 04:57 PM
Yeah, I forgot there are only 3 paying O line positions. 2 Guards and backup Center.

Are you saying over the years Sitton and Lang were not used as examples of people we needed to save financial room for?

smuggler
03-12-2017, 05:23 PM

Boom. Guards are not as important as tackles and we still only have one starter slot to fill, with Spriggs waiting in the wings.

SMBASS
03-12-2017, 05:59 PM
Personally I don't ever see Spriggs playing guard and I'm on the fence about Murphy playing inside. I wouldn't move Bulaga simply because you don't screw around with moving a competent, upper tier right tackle to play guard. Just find a decent guard whether it's, Patrick, a FA, or a draft pick and plug them into the line. Leave the other 4 components, (Linsley, Taylor, Bulaga, and Bak) alone and find 1 decent/good inside guy. Plus we already have 2 new TE's that have to get into the O-Line mix this year. I hate playing musical chairs with the O-line because it's the damn franchise you're trying to protect. Pressure from the inside is just as likely to get AR killed as pressure from the outside.

Upnorth
03-12-2017, 06:07 PM
So we are loosing a 30 year old guard and a backup centre. Last season to drafted their replacementS with spriggs and the other one whose name escapes me. Say we get a mid round ol and Rb. Still can focus the draft on cb, nt and mlb...

red
03-12-2017, 06:42 PM
lacy got out of seattle without signing, he's on his way to green bay to talk with TT

Rutnstrut
03-12-2017, 06:49 PM
Funny how some of you guys have no idea how big of a deal continuity is on the o-line. Sure just plug anyone in at guard, they don't need ay experience or depth. That is until shuffling guys all over gets Rodgers hurt. Because let's face it, if Rodgers goes down for any significant amount of time, this team is toast. Stubby is not a good enough coach to win a lot of games without Rodgers.

Teamcheez1
03-12-2017, 07:00 PM
lacy got out of seattle without signing, he's on his way to green bay to talk with TT

If Lacy was all that, he wouldn't have gotten out of Seattle and Minny without a contract. Not saying we shouldn't resign him, but the league is not banging his door down in free agency.

Joemailman
03-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Personally I don't ever see Spriggs playing guard and I'm on the fence about Murphy playing inside. I wouldn't move Bulaga simply because you don't screw around with moving a competent, upper tier right tackle to play guard. Just find a decent guard whether it's, Patrick, a FA, or a draft pick and plug them into the line. Leave the other 4 components, (Linsley, Taylor, Bulaga, and Bak) alone and find 1 decent/good inside guy. Plus we already have 2 new TE's that have to get into the O-Line mix this year. I hate playing musical chairs with the O-line because it's the damn franchise you're trying to protect. Pressure from the inside is just as likely to get AR killed as pressure from the outside.

I agree Spriggs isn't a Guard. I'd be reluctant to move Bulaga inside simply because he's coming off maybe his best year. The only reason you would do it is is you feel that Spriggs is definitely one of your top 5 O-Linemen, and you want tp get your top 5 on the field. I think they'll leave Bulaga at RT, and RG will be the big battle of training camp. I know the coaching staff likes Patrick. I think Murphy has the skill set to play Guard if he gets a little stronger. And I expect TT to draft at least 1 O-Lineman.

wist43
03-12-2017, 08:36 PM
idk. he's been uncharacteristically bold this week. i'm cautiously optimistic that he'll make a defensive signing.

He signed 2 TE's - and actually improved a position on the roster; yes, that is very uncharacteristic of TT... but don't expect full-blown miracles.

In the last 2 drafts he's drafted Randall, Rollins, Clark, Fackrell, Lowry, Martinez, and Ryan - there's no way in hell he's going to admit that all of those guys, or any of them, are shit, even if they are.

While I would argue that all off those guys - every single one of them is a below average NFL player, TT's "draft and develop" addiction simply won't allow him to call a turd a turd. I seriously doubt any defensive help is on the way. As I said, TT will look at it like the needed help is already on the roster.

Other teams will make moves to improve, and TT will stand pat for the most part. I like Bennett better than Cook, and Kendricks better than any TE we have on the roster - but they can't play defense.

I fully expect our defense to be complete crap again next year... another "1 and done" or embarrassing exit from the playoffs - and Rodgers another year older.

HarveyWallbangers
03-12-2017, 08:53 PM
Wist is back? He disappeared at the end of that 8 game winning streak and the victory over Dallas.

Rutnstrut
03-12-2017, 08:57 PM
He signed 2 TE's - and actually improved a position on the roster; yes, that is very uncharacteristic of TT... but don't expect full-blown miracles.

In the last 2 drafts he's drafted Randall, Rollins, Clark, Fackrell, Lowry, Martinez, and Ryan - there's no way in hell he's going to admit that all of those guys, or any of them, are shit, even if they are.

While I would argue that all off those guys - every single one of them is a below average NFL player, TT's "draft and develop" addiction simply won't allow him to call a turd a turd. I seriously doubt any defensive help is on the way. As I said, TT will look at it like the needed help is already on the roster.

Other teams will make moves to improve, and TT will stand pat for the most part. I like Bennett better than Cook, and Kendricks better than any TE we have on the roster - but they can't play defense.

I fully expect our defense to be complete crap again next year... another "1 and done" or embarrassing exit from the playoffs - and Rodgers another year older.

I pretty much agree, but I do think clark will be pretty decent. So he will probably get hurt for a full season this year.

King Friday
03-12-2017, 08:59 PM
another "1 and done" or embarrassing exit from the playoffs - and Rodgers another year older.

We weren't one and done last year Wist...if you were around, you'd have known that. Unfortunately, the Packers kicked you right in the sack going down the stretch this season and you apparently got laid up somewhere. Hope you are feeling better.

wist43
03-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Wist is back? He disappeared at the end of that 8 game winning streak and the victory over Dallas.

"Disappeared" long before that... changed jobs, and our 3rd kid is wearing me out now. Simply don't have time to do much of anything but work and tend to the family. Things are settling out a little bit though, so maybe I can watch a little football this year...

Bought some new golf clubs... my brother laughed and said I was waaaayyyyy too optimistic, lol...

wist43
03-12-2017, 09:44 PM
We weren't one and done last year Wist...if you were around, you'd have known that. Unfortunately, the Packers kicked you right in the sack going down the stretch this season and you apparently got laid up somewhere. Hope you are feeling better.

Try to keep up KF... the "or" is in there ;)

wist43
03-12-2017, 09:52 PM
I pretty much agree, but I do think clark will be pretty decent. So he will probably get hurt for a full season this year.

I almost don't think it matters how much talent they have on defense... Capers is our DC, and will be for next 832 years. He's a disaster. 2-4 is our base defense, and we don't have the personnel to play it well... our defense has no identity, and we're routinely and habitually outcoached. Simply put - the game has passed Capers by, and he needs to retire... of course he isn't going anywhere.

TT can work to improve the offense all he wants, but our problems are - as always - on defense. This organization will never get it figured out.

pbmax
03-12-2017, 10:56 PM
Are you saying over the years Sitton and Lang were not used as examples of people we needed to save financial room for?

Sure. A decent franchise will always have some flexibility to sign their own to new deals and not mortgage the future entirely.

But circumstances change. Both were hampered by injuries and Sitton may have been a pain in his coaches behind. So between age, injury history and market value, you adjust. You put a price of $7 mil per year on Lang, knowing that might be the low end and if he goes elsewhere, you spend money elsewhere.

You give Sitton's money to your young left tackle and make it possible to sign both your OLB and others.

Every dime they did not spend on past FAs and new contracts during those Guards second contracts is available to them this year. And it might get spent yet this offseason.

pbmax
03-12-2017, 10:59 PM

He is also out of Minnesota and headed to GB.

BZnDallas
03-13-2017, 09:09 AM
Funny how some of you guys have no idea how big of a deal continuity is on the o-line. Sure just plug anyone in at guard, they don't need ay experience or depth. That is until shuffling guys all over gets Rodgers hurt. Because let's face it, if Rodgers goes down for any significant amount of time, this team is toast. Stubby is not a good enough coach to win a lot of games without Rodgers.

We ALL understand and are aware of what happens if AR goes down Rut. See in this sport, there is only so much money to spend. Its called a salary cap. That means you can't keep everyone you want. At some point you have to let players walk. Think you'd be hard pressed to find anybody here that didn't like Lang. The most of us realize its part of the game to lose players you like. Even the vaunted Cowboy line is having to make changes this off season. Oh no! The continuity! We'll all get over it, will you?

pbmax
03-13-2017, 10:31 AM
Packer Report

Mentioned yesterday that House won't be signing with Packers. He's in Pittsburgh. My guess is he won't leave without a contract.

pbmax
03-13-2017, 10:42 AM
@ProFootballTalk 10m10 minutes ago
Report: Datone Jones visiting Vikings http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/13/report-datone-jones-visiting-vikings/

I am torn. He is literally just good enough to be close almost every time. But even when secondary was better, he still didn't put up numbers. I have no idea whether he is a cause or a symptom of bad defense.

gbgary
03-13-2017, 10:50 AM
Packers seemed to think he (datone jones) was good at olb last year. i don't even remember him playing there. lol

Pugger
03-13-2017, 11:14 AM
Report: Datone Jones visiting Vikings http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/13/report-datone-jones-visiting-vikings/

I am torn. He is literally just good enough to be close almost every time. But even when secondary was better, he still didn't put up numbers. I have no idea whether he is a cause or a symptom of bad defense.

IMO Jones isn't the brightest knife in the bulb drawer. He is usually good for one boneheaded penalty a game.

Upnorth
03-13-2017, 03:16 PM
If Jones can't succeed with the good players minny has on d he cant succeed anywhere.

QBME
03-13-2017, 04:59 PM
Jones isn't the brightest knife in the bulb drawer.

:-)

Bretsky
03-13-2017, 05:49 PM
I really could care less about Eddie Lacy

Defense Defense Defense

pbmax
03-13-2017, 08:31 PM
Silverstein: http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/03/13/free-agency-showing-packers-true-colors/99120766/

Thompson has around $25 million in cap space available to compete for some of his remaining free agents such as Lacy and linebackers Datone Jones and Jayrone Elliott. At most, it would cost him $5 million in cap space to sign to sign those three.

pbmax
03-13-2017, 08:32 PM
Peter Schrager‏ @PSchrags 11m11 minutes ago
Jayrone Elliott (OLB) has re-signed with the Green Bay Packers on a 1-year-deal. @Gmfb @NFLONFOX

red
03-13-2017, 09:04 PM
Silverstein: http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/03/13/free-agency-showing-packers-true-colors/99120766/

more like 28 million

SMBASS
03-13-2017, 09:30 PM
more like 28 million

Do you know how much has to be retained for the Rookie Pool red? I'm thinking it's somewhere in the 5 - 6 million range but I could be wrong. Plus take away whatever Elliott and Kendricks were signed for and I'm guessing they have somewhere in the area of 20 million left to play with. Maybe it's more because I'm not sure how much of the Rookie Pool counts towards the cap. I just don't pay near as much attention to the cap numbers and hits as a lot of other people on here do.

yetisnowman
03-13-2017, 09:41 PM

Last year he had one sack and by my count about 4 or 5 mindless, backbreaking penalties. He's been in the league for 4 years. I'm not sure what we are holding on to.

hoosier
03-13-2017, 09:52 PM
IMO Jones isn't the brightest knife in the bulb drawer. He is usually good for one boneheaded penalty a game.

Sure you aren't lumping him together with Brad Jones?

SMBASS
03-13-2017, 09:54 PM
I'd rather let Datone Jones walk and use his cap space to sign someone like Connor Barwin who is actually an OLB who has proven he can make an impact in a 3-4 defense. Jones has tried to play 2 different positions and been fairly pedestrian at both of them. I consider him to be basically another failed 1st round defensive draft pick at this point.

red
03-13-2017, 10:04 PM
Do you know how much has to be retained for the Rookie Pool red? I'm thinking it's somewhere in the 5 - 6 million range but I could be wrong. Plus take away whatever Elliott and Kendricks were signed for and I'm guessing they have somewhere in the area of 20 million left to play with. Maybe it's more because I'm not sure how much of the Rookie Pool counts towards the cap. I just don't pay near as much attention to the cap numbers and hits as a lot of other people on here do.

probably closer to 2 or 2.5

you always here that you need 5 or 6 million for draft picks, but thats a load of crap

right now, with jayrone signed, we sit at abut 26.5 million in free cap space. thats already counting the top 51 players, a good chunck of whom are making the minimum (around 500-600k)

with the draft picks, pretty much anyone drafted after the second round is gonna be playing for the minimum, so they're just gonna be taking the place of some other guy making the minimum, so no cap spaced lost. the only real guys that are gonna take up space are the first and second rounders. last years first rounder (clark) had a cap number of about 1.7, or 1.1 or 1.2 more then the guy he replaced. our second rounder (spriggs) had a cap hit of 900k, or 400k more then the guy he replaced

so really, by my math, last years rookie class ate up about 1.6 million of the free cap space we had

that 5 or 6 million would be the total cap hit for the drafted rookies, but you gotta keep in mind, those guys are gonna be replacing guys that are already being counted against the cap

SMBASS
03-13-2017, 10:13 PM
Based on a chart I found regarding the 2017 Rookie Pool you're estimations look to be pretty close red. Thanks for the info.

Team No. Picks Rookie Pool Effective Cap Cost

Packers 9 $5,348,200 $1,433,200

smuggler
03-13-2017, 10:32 PM
Where did we get that 9th draft pick? We had 8 last I saw. Got one comp pick for Hayward.

SMBASS
03-13-2017, 10:50 PM
Where did we get that 9th draft pick? We had 8 last I saw. Got one comp pick for Hayward.

Of fudge Smuggler...I went back to the wrong link for the same site. That was from 2015! Lol! The 2017 numbers should be:

Packers...8 picks...Total Rookie Pool: $5,763,374...(Doesn't list the estimated rookie cap hit but I'm guessing it has to be somewhere between 1.8 -2.2 million or so.)

pbmax
03-13-2017, 11:33 PM
Last year he had one sack and by my count about 4 or 5 mindless, backbreaking penalties. He's been in the league for 4 years. I'm not sure what we are holding on to.

He was second on the team in pressure behind Perry I believe. He frequently got close but did not seal the deal.

He also had those dumb penalties.

pbmax
03-13-2017, 11:35 PM
There is something else to remember about the cap number now. I believe in the offseason you only need to count the top 51 deals.

At some point, the entire roster counts. That means the cap available now will shrink by a few minimum deals.

Sparkey
03-14-2017, 08:59 AM
My list of players that I think could all help the Pack!

One of Gerald Hodges or Zach Brown at the ILB spot. Both guys have the ability to drop into coverage and actually be successful at it, something the Packers sorely lack. They should also come at a reasonable cost.

Connor Barwin, if around $5-6 a year and no more than 4 years would be a nice pickup.

Jonathan Hankins had his best year two years ago playing on the nose. Probably not happening, though.

Oday Aboushi G/T would be a decent signing or maybe John Urschel from the Ravens as veteran line depth.

Andrew Norwell is an interesting player. Would cost a 2nd rd pick, but was really good last year, is young and has upside to him.

Not much available in the secondary.

Speaking of contracts, any Packers coming up for contracts during the 2017 season ? ( If so, some of that cap would need to be held for that.)

Deputy Nutz
03-14-2017, 09:27 AM

Bennett proved my theory wrong, and adding Kendricks was a bonus for the offense, this certainly makes the offense more productive in the passing game and Bennett provide better blocking at the tight end position. He is probably the best blocking tight end the Packers have brought in under Thompson.

My concern is the loss of Lang. I didn't think he got a massive deal from the Lions and the Packers certainly had the cap space and the need to resign him. The shifting on the offensive line, and playing guys out of position is very risky indeed. The Packers still haven't gotten better on defense this off season. Just signing Perry doesn't make this defense better in 2017 than it was in 2016. The failure of this team down the stretch was the defense. The Packers are relying on very young and raw players at the corner position and it is a huge gamble to not bring in some veteran leadership at that position. I doubt a first or second round rookie is going to add much in 2017.

Pugger
03-14-2017, 10:42 AM
Bennett proved my theory wrong, and adding Kendricks was a bonus for the offense, this certainly makes the offense more productive in the passing game and Bennett provide better blocking at the tight end position. He is probably the best blocking tight end the Packers have brought in under Thompson.

My concern is the loss of Lang. I didn't think he got a massive deal from the Lions and the Packers certainly had the cap space and the need to resign him. The shifting on the offensive line, and playing guys out of position is very risky indeed. The Packers still haven't gotten better on defense this off season. Just signing Perry doesn't make this defense better in 2017 than it was in 2016. The failure of this team down the stretch was the defense. The Packers are relying on very young and raw players at the corner position and it is a huge gamble to not bring in some veteran leadership at that position. I doubt a first or second round rookie is going to add much in 2017.

Lang is great but do you think it is wise to give a guard knocking on 30 a 3 year deal @ $9m per? We all feared for Aaron's health after Sitton was released and Taylor played well. Can we duplicate that success with one of our young guys this year? Could Bulaga be the answer there with Spriggs going to RT?

I agree, the defense still needs work. I don't have a problem resigning Perry. His biggest issue is staying on the field. When he can he is very effective. Of course FA isn't done so perhaps Ted still can surprise us again before it is all said and done. ;-)

QBME
03-14-2017, 11:18 AM
Eddie Lacy signs with Seattle per Rich Eisen

Deputy Nutz
03-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Taylor was ready to start for the Packers. They resigned him to a multi year deal. Sure he wasn't proven yet as a starter, but he had several years in Green Bay and the coaches knew what he could project. Lang still has three good years in him and for a guarantee of 19 million the Packers could have released him after the second year. The depth on the offensive line took a massive hit this off season with losing Tretter, and Lang. I guess the way I look at it if the Packers are making a push for the Super Bowl in 2017 and 2018 they could have solidified the offensive line by paying Lang. Lang may have been over payed by the Lions, but my issue is how much pressure does Thompson actually feel to go for broke the next couple of years to make significant moves to push the Packers into the Super Bowl?

With signing two tight ends in the off season the Packers can focus the middle rounds on the draft on linemen, offensively and defensively. They can address the need for pass rushers and pass defenders in the first few rounds of the draft and with the loss of Lacy the Packers will also have to draft at least one viable ball carrier. I don't think a late 7th round pick will do it, so expect the Packers to go Pass rusher, corner back, running back, lineman, lineman in the draft.

In regards to the draft the Packers should simply look to draft the highest rated defensive player on their board, or preferably on the Patriot's big board.

Bulaga could move. I would rather have Bulaga at guard then Spriggs. Spriggs is pretty lean and more athletic than he is a mauler. He isn't a guard and he failed last year when asked to play there. Bulaga is a veteran so a move to the inside my piss him off. Bulaga is way more versatile at this point than Spriggs.

King Friday
03-14-2017, 11:47 AM
Bulaga is a veteran so a move to the inside my piss him off.

If he can stay healthier at guard and not miss as much time and be a near Pro Bowl level player, he can still earn a hell of a lot of money. Just ask Lang.

Bulaga has to know this switch was coming at some point in his career.

SMBASS
03-14-2017, 11:57 AM
Tom Silverstein‏Verified account @TomSilverstein 20s21 seconds ago

CB Davon House has agreed to one-year deal with the #Packers, according to a source.

HarveyWallbangers
03-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Would you take House at $3.5M for one year or Lacy at $5.5 for one year? I think the veteran CB is more important. I would have liked to have seen Lacy resign, but probably not at that price.

Deputy Nutz
03-14-2017, 01:32 PM
Apples to oranges,

Would you rather have House for 3.5 or Hyde for his 6.5 million per year deal? I would rather have House

gbgary
03-14-2017, 01:56 PM
Would you take House at $3.5M for one year or Lacy at $5.5 for one year? I think the veteran CB is more important. I would have liked to have seen Lacy resign, but probably not at that price.

not if he isn't any good. with a gun to my head i'd have to pick lacy (after bariatric surgery).

bobblehead
03-14-2017, 02:40 PM
I project that House isn't on the final 53 this year.

pbmax
03-14-2017, 02:59 PM
Lang is great but do you think it is wise to give a guard knocking on 30 a 3 year deal @ $9m per?

With 20 million guaranteed.*

*To save red some time, yes, some of this could be funny money, but even so, apples to apples, one of the biggest percentages of guarantees in NFL history.

pbmax
03-14-2017, 03:00 PM
Apples to oranges,

Would you rather have House for 3.5 or Hyde for his 6.5 million per year deal? I would rather have House

House.

pbmax
03-14-2017, 03:00 PM

House.

pbmax
03-14-2017, 03:01 PM

Because he is terrible or because the #1 pick is a CB and two of Randall/Rollins/Gunter step up?

smuggler
03-14-2017, 03:46 PM
Gotta think he makes the team unless he is just a shell of himself.

MadScientist
03-14-2017, 04:43 PM

Because he is terrible or because the #1 pick is a CB and two of Randall/Rollins/Gunter step up?

House isn't breaking the bank and isn't being paid to be a starter. Gunter will never step up much more than what he did last year due to lack of speed. Even if there is a #1 pick and Randall and Rollins both play well, there is still room for House as a dime back (Gunter back to ST mainly). Plus CB's are not exactly immune to injury, so you need all the depth you can get (see 2016).

gbgary
03-15-2017, 11:59 AM
well...i think unTed has left the building and tt is back. * sigh *

pbmax
03-15-2017, 05:12 PM
Formally announced:

Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 34m34 minutes ago
#Packers announced the signings of CB Davon House and OLB/special teamer Jordan Tripp.

Tripp was not tendered, but has signed a deal.

pbmax
03-15-2017, 11:45 PM
Cap Room: http://www.scout.com/nfl/packers/story/1763237-packers-10th-in-available-cap-space

Keep in mind that with only 57 players under contract (second lowest), they are going to need to sign a bunch of low cost players.

TEAM CNTRACS 2016 CARRYOVER TEAM CAP CAP ROOM
San Francisco 49ers 68 $38,708,916 $130,891,350 $78,230,085
Cleveland Browns 71 $50,123,269 $164,546,519 $53,271,360
Tennessee Titans 61 $24,046,522 $146,939,640 $44,939,611
Jacksonville Jaguars 74 $39,314,310 $162,257,853 $44,848,149
Oakland Raiders 58 $8,000,000 $132,518,512 $42,937,363
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 67 $5,330,779 $134,423,726 $39,368,630
Indianapolis Colts 64 $6,614,106 $138,349,907 $37,466,963
New England Patriots 61 $5,292,335 $137,131,806 $36,167,082
Houston Texans 64 $4,935,924 $141,075,383 $33,571,741
Green Bay Packers 57 $7,984,687 $148,607,353 $27,705,823
Cincinnati Bengals 61 $6,578,866 $146,741,901 $27,381,165
Minnesota Vikings 62 $400,184 $145,057,386 $26,638,725
Denver Broncos 68 $7,243,248 $148,265,282 $25,290,916
Chicago Bears 68 $8,103,197 $150,848,707 $24,801,483
New York Jets 74 $371,487 $145,623,124 $22,717,504
Arizona Cardinals 65 $4,405,068 $151,762,911 $21,302,607
Pittsburgh Steelers 77 $3,269,367 $151,262,841 $19,854,218
Buffalo Bills 49 $2,837,222 $150,097,444 $19,630,853
Seattle Seahawks 64 $2,065,865 $151,563,707 $18,783,858
Miami Dolphins 65 $8,363,708 $156,342,416 $18,382,264
Atlanta Falcons 58 $926,541 $155,607,638 $14,539,190
Carolina Panthers 75 $13,208,020 $166,812,972 $14,357,672
Washington Redskins 71 $15,055,131 $168,086,733 $14,218,332
Los Angeles Chargers 68 $113,693 $158,615,218 $13,711,101
Baltimore Ravens 63 $2,553,126 $152,950,996 $13,386,820
New Orleans Saints 66 $5,754,000 $158,836,348 $10,054,475
Dallas Cowboys 66 $2,401,553 $163,129,770 $9,528,479
Detroit Lions 64 $4,725,644 $162,548,027 $8,584,004
Kansas City Chiefs 69 $5,002,168 $166,366,961 $6,525,032
Philadelphia Eagles 71 $7,933,869 $173,338,601 $6,169,661
New York Giants 63 $1,800,000 $164,541,370 $4,415,876
Los Angeles Rams 66 $939,689 $167,907,739 $188,228
AVERAGE $9,141,347 $152,907,817 $24,331,025

Zool
03-16-2017, 08:29 AM
Teams like the Rams, Chargers, and Jets scrape right up against the cap. They really know how to build a winning program.

Pugger
03-16-2017, 08:36 AM
Teams like the Rams, Chargers, and Jets scrape right up against the cap. They really know how to build a winning program.

Zing!! :lol:

gbgary
03-16-2017, 10:46 AM
helloooo unTed! please come baaaaack!

esoxx
03-16-2017, 03:57 PM
Teams like the Giants, Chiefs, and Cowboys scrape right up against the cap. They really know how to build a winning program.

pbmax
03-16-2017, 05:43 PM
Barwin signs with Rams per PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/16/rams-land-connor-barwin/

The Rams announced on Thursday that they have signed Barwin. They did not announce the terms of the deal, but Adam Caplan of ESPN reports it is a one-year deal with a maximum value of $6.5 million.

esoxx
03-16-2017, 05:51 PM
Thanks Ted!

Deputy Nutz
03-16-2017, 06:14 PM
There is a rumor out there that the Packers are signing LaGarrett Blount. Haven't seen it anywhere but heard it reported as a rumor on the radio

Bretsky
03-16-2017, 06:16 PM
There is a rumor out there that the Packers are signing LaGarrett Blount. Haven't seen it anywhere but heard it reported as a rumor on the radio

Put me in the who cares category here

Bretsky
03-16-2017, 06:16 PM
Thanks Ted!

THIS

Joemailman
03-16-2017, 06:39 PM

Maybe from here. http://lombardiave.com/2017/03/14/legarrette-blount-green-bay-packers/ Not so much a rumor as a suggestion that it would be a good idea.

Rutnstrut
03-16-2017, 08:33 PM

He would be an excellent addition to the team. he is a very physical punishing runner. But I doubt this is something TT will do.

Deputy Nutz
03-17-2017, 08:56 AM
At this point I would like to see the Packers look to free agents just as fillers, or one year deals. There is no reason why the Packers can't sign a player like Blount.

pbmax
03-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Packer Report‏ @PackerReport 32m32 minutes ago
#Packers have lost seven free agents this offseason. Subject to change but might be moving on from Goode, too.

Goode and Chris Michael are the odd men out still.

Anyone else get the sense that Ted didn't like his roster much last year? Or was it that they were so middling they weren't worth paying.

Zool
03-17-2017, 09:31 AM
#Packers have lost seven free agents this offseason. Subject to change but might be moving on from Goode, too.

Anyone else get the sense that Ted didn't like his roster much last year? Or was it that they were so middling they weren't worth paying.

I think Lacy and Jones were meh guys who got paid more than they are worth.

I bet he would have loved to have Tretter and/or Lang back though at a lower cost than what they got from Cleveland and the Loins. When you assume Rodgers is getting a new contract next offseason, you have to plan accordingly. He is probably going to get $25M per.

Teamcheez1
03-17-2017, 09:54 AM
I read somewhere that the Packers would have made Lang the 5th highest paid guard if they had retained him. I like him, but not at that cost with his injury history and age.

Pugger
03-17-2017, 10:13 AM

Do you think Gunter, Hawkins and Waters are better than House? IMO he is better than these 3 and will be on the final roster unless Ted takes 3 CBs in the draft next month.

gbgary
03-17-2017, 11:40 AM
I think Lacy and Jones were meh guys who got paid more than they are worth.

I bet he would have loved to have Tretter and/or Lang back though at a lower cost than what they got from Cleveland and the Loins. When you assume Rodgers is getting a new contract next offseason, you have to plan accordingly. He is probably going to get $25M per.

i'll bet it's more. he's on 22m a year now.

Aaron Rodgers signed a 5 year, $110,000,000 contract with the Green Bay Packers, including a $33,250,000 signing bonus, $54,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $22,000,000.

that's if he's not so disgusted by the failing of his "all-in" decree and retires/becomes a free-agent/or is traded.

yetisnowman
03-17-2017, 12:05 PM
Put me in the who cares category here

Blount had 18 rushing tds last year.
That's 3 x more than Lacy, Starks, Montgomery, Michael, ripkowski had combined.
You're right who cares

pbmax
03-17-2017, 12:19 PM
I read somewhere that the Packers would have made Lang the 5th highest paid guard if they had retained him. I like him, but not at that cost with his injury history and age.

The guaranteed money in his deal is huge. Can't blame him. Nearly $20 million. For a Guard, he got paid. Good for him.

Deputy Nutz
03-17-2017, 12:53 PM
I don't think that it is the loss of Lang that I question it is the replacement. Usually a GM should have an understanding what the value of his players are and he should be working to have a suitable replacement. I assume that Thompson has a better feel for his roster than I do, but I don't see a suitable replacement.

Rutnstrut
03-17-2017, 06:24 PM
I don't think that it is the loss of Lang that I question it is the replacement. Usually a GM should have an understanding what the value of his players are and he should be working to have a suitable replacement. I assume that Thompson has a better feel for his roster than I do, but I don't see a suitable replacement.

He's always got a 6 or 7th rounder or a street free agent replacement. Ted is always on the ball!!!

Deputy Nutz
03-17-2017, 06:59 PM
I would rather go with a late round guy rather than drafting a first rounder to play guard. I know that is unlike Ted, but he is looking more and more like a dementia victim, you never know what that opossum looking motherfucker is going to do.

woodbuck27
03-17-2017, 08:16 PM

"Anyone else get the sense that Ted didn't like his roster much last year?" pbmax

I think that is obvious.

So he got outbid for guy's like Lang and Tretter (and maybe even Lacy) but what was his plan to replace these fellas?

1.) Did Ted Thompson even have a contingency plan?

2.) Then there is the question of Cap Space. Is TT going to waste more of that?

3.) Does Ted Thompson realise that with all the former (beginning of the 2016 season) Roster players lost to FA this winter; and due to injury or trade last season. That any Draft and Development plan is 'a hooey and a hope' for a Super Bowl next season?

Rutnstrut
03-17-2017, 09:13 PM
"Anyone else get the sense that Ted didn't like his roster much last year?" pbmax

I think that is obvious.

So he got outbid for guy's like Lang and Tretter (and maybe even Lacy) but what was his plan to replace these fellas?

3.) Does Ted Thompson realise that with all the former (beginning of the 2016 season) Roster players lost to FA this winter; and due to injury or trade last season. That any Draft and Development plan is 'a hooey and a hope' for a Super Bowl next season?

Even the TT nut huggers should be able to see that Ted doesn't do contingency plans. His ego is too big, if he had contingency plans it would be like admitting his base plans can fail.

Bretsky
03-17-2017, 10:54 PM
no worries; as he always does AROD will get us to the playoffs

Pugger
03-18-2017, 08:00 AM
I would rather go with a late round guy rather than drafting a first rounder to play guard. I know that is unlike Ted, but he is looking more and more like a dementia victim, you never know what that opossum looking motherfucker is going to do.

One good thing for us is Ted has been pretty good at finding gem linemen in later rounds of the draft.

Pugger
03-18-2017, 08:03 AM
Even the TT nut huggers should be able to see that Ted doesn't do contingency plans. His ego is too big, if he had contingency plans it would be like admitting his base plans can fail.

I know you suspect I'm a big Ted fan but I am very ambivalent about him. I wish he was a little more active in FA but I can understand he doesn't want to overpay guys. However, he is the last person I would say has a big ego. :lol:

ThunderDan
03-18-2017, 08:19 AM
I know you suspect I'm a big Ted fan but I am very ambivalent about him. I wish he was a little more active in FA but I can understand he doesn't want to overpay guys. However, he is the last person I would say has a big ego. :lol:

100% Pugger! What GM of a team would not be present when they retired a player's number? If TT had an ego he would have been on the stage with Favre and Murphy. Instead he stayed up in the Packer's Box and let the ceremony go on without being seen.

pbmax
03-18-2017, 09:10 AM

I think that is obvious.

How much of a contingency plan do you need or want to commit to for a backup center? The contingency plan for Tretter is called starting Center Corey Linsley and backup Don Barclay. And before everyone busts open an important artery, while Barclay is limited, you cannot keep a backup on the roster for starter money in a 2nd contract. The numbers won't work. Tretter is also not Mr. Reliable.

Lang simply got more guaranteed money than the other two teams chasing him were comfortable with. Its a near record for guaranteed money. For a guy with an injury history and coming off ankle/foot surgery. He might make it to the end of his contract, but previous history is not on his side.

The contingency plan is for younger guys to step in and get better, just as Lang did when he was a youngster.

pbmax
03-18-2017, 09:12 AM

At one point, Josh Sitton and TJ Lang were the contingency plans that no one knew anything about (Sitton came through much faster).

The reason you know about them is that they got a chance to play, rather than an expensive and over the hill vet.

gbgary
03-18-2017, 10:32 AM
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/images/smilies/Yawn.gif

Rutnstrut
03-18-2017, 03:19 PM
At one point, Josh Sitton and TJ Lang were the contingency plans that no one knew anything about (Sitton came through much faster).

The reason you know about them is that they got a chance to play, rather than an expensive and over the hill vet.

Do you deny that Ted's unwillingness to put a team together through all avenues possible makes it much tougher? TT and stubby would not even still be employed in GB if it weren't for Rodgers continually saving their ass.

pbmax
03-18-2017, 03:32 PM
Do you deny that Ted's unwillingness to put a team together through all avenues possible makes it much tougher? TT and stubby would not even still be employed in GB if it weren't for Rodgers continually saving their ass.

I deny it because without Rodgers the Brett situation, draft position, draft picks and free agents all play out differently.

You can't change one variable and pretend everything else stays the same.

You can also sign a lot more FAs when the QB isn't making $22 million per year.

And your basic claim, that he doesn't use all available avenues is demonstrably untrue.

Short answer: I deny it, yes.

Bretsky
03-18-2017, 03:55 PM
I deny it because without Rodgers the Brett situation, draft position, draft picks and free agents all play out differently.

You can't change one variable and pretend everything else stays the same.
You can also sign a lot more FAs when the QB isn't making $22 million per year.
And your basic claim, that he doesn't use all available avenues is demonstrably untrue.
Short answer: I deny it, yes.

Year after year we gave chances to unrestricted free agent and how many have we signed in the past five years before this year ? Those are the pure facts.
I'd hire you as a salesman in a second because your reasoning of using AROD's salary and linking it to our inability to sign free agents is a very effective way of shifting the focus when asked a question you don't want to address. We don't sign free agency because right or wrong, TT feels our chances are better to not take the short term risk/reward of free agency and instead believes in is ability to wins Super Bowls through the draft. Trades ? I'm sure there are some minor ones I forgot..maybe. I recall Ryan Grant. I recall Matthews about 7-8 years ago. I don't recall much else. TT is fine; he's an above average GM; but there is several I"d rather have and I wish he'd utilize other avenues better.

pbmax
03-18-2017, 04:40 PM
We don't sign free agency because right or wrong, TT feels our chances are better to not take the short term risk/reward of free agency and instead believes in is ability to wins Super Bowls through the draft.

This is the part that drives me crazy. He DOES sign free agents. You want him to sign more.

If the Packers did not have a franchise QB, then that changes the cap picture completely. And that would lead to more spending everywhere else.

Rutnstrut
03-18-2017, 08:13 PM
PB are you a politician?

pbmax
03-18-2017, 08:31 PM
PB are you a politician?

Nope.

Bretsky
03-18-2017, 09:14 PM
Nope.

I would pay infinite ching for you as my campaign mgr :-)

Bretsky
03-18-2017, 09:23 PM
This is the part that drives me crazy. He DOES sign free agents. You want him to sign more.

If the Packers did not have a franchise QB, then that changes the cap picture completely. And that would lead to more spending everywhere else.

I don't want him be afraid of taking the chance...stepping outside the box...and signing the free agents who have hit the open market....and yes...WILL cost draft picks. Before this year, it's been 5 years per NFL Network since we participated. So perhaps on an annual or semi annual basis would be cool. And when you do a shit job drafting defense.....let's look there

DISCLAIMER....I know he nabbed Peppers and Cook....and I gave TT kudos

And on that rare occasion where he dipped into the open market, he's done well with Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett

Zool
03-18-2017, 09:35 PM
its almost like you can't always get what you want.

esoxx
03-18-2017, 10:55 PM
You already said that.

Zool
03-18-2017, 11:07 PM
You already said that.

Other people post a small variant of the same thing in every one of their posts. I'm trying the style out. How's it going so far?

esoxx
03-18-2017, 11:43 PM
You should go with a medium variant.

Zool
03-19-2017, 08:25 AM

Noted

BZnDallas
03-19-2017, 10:22 AM
But if you try sometimes....

I hope I'm not being referred to as a TT nut hugger or nut bugger for what its worth. I've had my tent set up in the get rid of TT camp on a coule occasions before, but that doesn't mean my opinion can't change when the man does something I agree with. My last issue was that he didn't use FA effectively. I've said this example before, so i'll do it again for Zools sake. Haha! When a FA signs with another team for a minimal deal and said he was just waiting for a phone call from GB (Danny Trevethan). That is when I have an issue. Maybe the guy signs a more friendly deal bc he wanted to play here? Who knows? A simple phone call wasn't made. At that point I didn't feel he was fulfilling his job requirements. And was fine with showing him the door.

However, it sounds to me like some of you think you can fill every hole through free agency. Sorry, that is not how this game is played by the majority of winning teams. And quite frankly, I think you are letting your built up frustration take control of your keyboard. Like I previously mentioned, I've been mad at TT for past free agency periods. But I'm pretty happy with this one so far. And hopeful more help is on the way either soon or in the FA period after the draft once we see what help is coming from the draft. I know mock drafts are silly, but I saw a 4 round one from Rueter that had us taking R1 Guard Forrest Lamp R2 CB Fabian Moreau R3 RB D'Onta Foreman and R4 OLB Vince Biegel. Any draft similar to this would address lots of the needs I see people TT wanting to sign FAs for. There are a couple of plug and play Guards in this draft that would fill the hole Lang left. Not right away of course, but plenty of Guards come in the league now and dominate. Zach Martin, DeCastro, etc. Nobody even gives thought to the improvement Spriggs and Barclay will make with another full year in the NFL weight room and getting healthy. Thought I read somewhere that MM thinks Barclay played hurt last year and is better than he showed. But some of you here talking like TT doesn't have a clue to what he's doing and doesn't have a contingency plan and yadda yadda really make yourselves look foolish. Yes its fun to come on here and give our 2 cents and complain about this or complain about that. But to say one of the top 5 GMs in the NFL doesn't have a plan, or isn't looking ahead 1,2, probably even 3 and 4 years into the future, is laughable to me. Thank you for the entertainment you are providing.

I understand the frustration because I've had it as well. There is a small part of me that wants TT to sign AP, just so I can buy a Peterson jersey and wear it every time my best friend wears his ugly purple Favre jersey. He's been a Vikings fan since Warren Moon. Thats besides the point. At least 3 different players will be playing for this team this year that played for other teams last year. That has to be a record for a TT team. And to think, some of you are giving TT a fail grade for the FA period. :shock:

Upnorth
03-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Darryl revis could be had effectively for free. Would he be any assistance as our three or four cb?

Also great post bzndallas

pbmax
03-19-2017, 04:24 PM
2018 Comp Picks so far:

Nick Korte‏ @nickkorte 4h4 hours ago
So, Packers currently have a 3rd, 5th & 2 6ths for 2018 compensatory picks, Raiders have 5th & three 6ths.

https://t.co/0HRRa7uOrO

Rutnstrut
03-19-2017, 05:10 PM
For the record, I am more disappointed in the FA that were packer players and got away this year. Than I am about any he didn't sign. Mainly Tretter and Lang.

gbgary
03-19-2017, 07:55 PM
2018 Comp Picks so far:

Nick Korte‏ @nickkorte 4h4 hours ago
So, Packers currently have a 3rd, 5th & 2 6ths for 2018 compensatory picks, Raiders have 5th & three 6ths.

https://t.co/0HRRa7uOrO

you mean 4 don't you?

pbmax
03-19-2017, 07:56 PM
you mean 4 don't you?

No, you can only get 4 total comp picks in any year.

gbgary
03-19-2017, 07:57 PM
No, you can only get 4 total comp picks in any year.

oh...ok. thx

hoosier
03-19-2017, 08:32 PM

Which is...But if you try sometime, you'll find you get what you need?

Zool
03-19-2017, 08:53 PM
Which is...But if you try sometime, you'll find you get what you need?

Awww yeah yeah

Pugger
03-19-2017, 11:07 PM
For the record, I am more disappointed in the FA that were packer players and got away this year. Than I am about any he didn't sign. Mainly Tretter and Lang.

I can kinda see why Tretter is gone. He wanted a chance to start and he is a better tackle than guard and we seem to have more tackles than open spots on the line. I was really sorry to see Lang go. His absence makes RG the biggest hole on the offense. I know Lacy is gone but IMO RB is one of the few positions where a rookie can come in and contribute right away.

texaspackerbacker
03-20-2017, 04:17 AM
Funny thing about Ted Thompson. I've pretty much always been a detractor of him, but when it comes down to each individual decision - who to sign/who to let go, I most of the time have to agree with him. Lang, Tretter, and Hyde went for more money than it woulda been a good idea to pay. I'm glad he let Lacy and Jones go. He may have gotten more with less in the TE situation. He didn't really overpay to retain Perry. I would have liked to see him pick up a top quality Corner, but none of them have stood out as bargains. He signed my guy, Jayrone Elliot. Getting Barwin might have been nice, but I think we will be OK without him.

There's still several Corners out there worth considering, and I'd be pleased to see us pick up Adrian Peterson cheap (not Lynch or Blount).

Deputy Nutz
03-20-2017, 08:49 AM
The Packers have money to spend. When you let your free agents go and leave money left over you bet that guys like Rodgers are then looking to get a cpntract upgrade especially if you are not spending it on the players that are going to make a run to the Super Bowl a little bit easier. I would think that having Lang at guard verse Spriggs or Barclay would give the Packer more protection for Rodgers, and sustain the running game. I might be wrong, but cutting Josh Sitton opened the door to Lane Taylor who statistically was the worst out of the five starting linemen. He was covered up because the other 4 of them were pretty good. I am sure that Taylor will be a bit better this upcoming season but now the Packers have to take the hit on introducing a new full time starter to the offensive line.

I agree that Lang got more money than he was worth but Lang filled a need and he was let go, and now the Packers go into the draft with far too many needs for a Super Bowl contending team.