PDA

View Full Version : Packers' Off Season Moves and 2017 Roster

Pages : 1 2 [3]

gbgary
03-20-2017, 09:27 AM
The Packers have money to spend. When you let your free agents go and leave money left over you bet that guys like Rodgers are then looking to get a cpntract upgrade especially if you are not spending it on the players that are going to make a run to the Super Bowl a little bit easier. I would think that having Lang at guard verse Spriggs or Barclay would give the Packer more protection for Rodgers, and sustain the running game. I might be wrong, but cutting Josh Sitton opened the door to Lane Taylor who statistically was the worst out of the five starting linemen. He was covered up because the other 4 of them were pretty good. I am sure that Taylor will be a bit better this upcoming season but now the Packers have to take the hit on introducing a new full time starter to the offensive line.

I agree that Lang got more money than he was worth but Lang filled a need and he was let go, and now the Packers go into the draft with far too many needs for a Super Bowl contending team.

tell me about it. this on so many levels.

BZnDallas
03-20-2017, 10:57 AM
So if you agree Lang got more than he was worth, then you find another option. If a plug and play G is drafted in Rd1 or 2 and the position is filled, then you just raised your blood pressure for no reason. Last time I checked the NFL allows different ways to improve your team in an offseason. Do you really not understand filling EVERY hole in FA doesn't work?

gbgary
03-20-2017, 11:56 AM
If a plug and play G is drafted in Rd1 or 2

if they draft a guard early they're ignoring the D that NEEDS ALL THE HELP. that would be malpractice. they had a great guard and let him go. now they're weaker there and the oline has less depth now too. way to take a step back. you can't take care of all your needs in the draft...not if your goal is to win a SB anyway.

BZnDallas
03-20-2017, 01:24 PM
Never said you can fix everything in the draft. Pretty sure if you reread my posts I'm talking about utilizing ALL avenues to improve this team. Some of y'all want it ALL done via FA. Once more, the good teams don't do it that way. From a fan base who is used to sitting idle during this time, you'd think there'd be a party for 3 non packer free agent signings. Has everybody forgotten about the FA period after the draft? You can make your team better then as well.

pbmax
03-20-2017, 03:21 PM
Bob McGinn‏ @BobMcGinn 6h6 hours ago
CB Davon House's 1-yr, $2.8M deal with GBP ($850K guar) includes $850K S-bonus, $1.5M base, $300K per-game rost bonus and $150K w'out bonus.

Rutnstrut
03-20-2017, 03:45 PM
Never said you can fix everything in the draft. Pretty sure if you reread my posts I'm talking about utilizing ALL avenues to improve this team. Some of y'all want it ALL done via FA. Once more, the good teams don't do it that way. From a fan base who is used to sitting idle during this time, you'd think there'd be a party for 3 non packer free agent signings. Has everybody forgotten about the FA period after the draft? You can make your team better then as well.

Name one member of this forum that has said they want it all done Via FA. I nor anyone else tht I can recall has said FA ids the only way.

gbgary
03-20-2017, 05:54 PM

didn't say you did, sorry. it wasn't really directed at you. i was just addressing the guard position you mentioned. i agree that all avenues need to utilized. we weren't that far off and on D that a couple of positions could have taken care of in FA. had they been the draft could be a little more diversified but as the D wasn't addressed the draft will have to be more focused.

pbmax
03-20-2017, 06:01 PM
Aaron Wilson‏Verified account @AaronWilson_NFL 7h7 hours ago
Packers and Browns showing interest in former Cardinals, Cal defensive back Josh Hill

Bretsky
03-20-2017, 06:24 PM
Aaron Wilson‏Verified account @AaronWilson_NFL 7h7 hours ago
Packers and Browns showing interest in former Cardinals, Cal defensive back Josh Hill

Is this the Josh Hill who hasn't been in the league since 2013 ??

Joemailman
03-20-2017, 06:40 PM
Is this the Josh Hill who hasn't been in the league since 2013 ??

http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Packers-showing-interest-in-CB-Josh-Hill-51877037

Hill signed with the Cardinals as an undrafted free agent back in 2013. However, he was cut from the team in August of that year and never signed on with another team. Hill currently works as a personal and athletic trainer in Houston and has worked with different NFL players and prospects over the years.

texaspackerbacker
03-20-2017, 07:05 PM
The Packers have money to spend. When you let your free agents go and leave money left over you bet that guys like Rodgers are then looking to get a cpntract upgrade especially if you are not spending it on the players that are going to make a run to the Super Bowl a little bit easier. I would think that having Lang at guard verse Spriggs or Barclay would give the Packer more protection for Rodgers, and sustain the running game. I might be wrong, but cutting Josh Sitton opened the door to Lane Taylor who statistically was the worst out of the five starting linemen. He was covered up because the other 4 of them were pretty good. I am sure that Taylor will be a bit better this upcoming season but now the Packers have to take the hit on introducing a new full time starter to the offensive line.

I agree that Lang got more money than he was worth but Lang filled a need and he was let go, and now the Packers go into the draft with far too many needs for a Super Bowl contending team.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Aaron Rodgers and his mobility make all O Linemen, past, present, and future, that have blocked for him BETTER - much better. That, and it's a helluva lot easier to be a "good" Guard than a "good" Offensive Tackle. Take Barclay (please take him hahahaha), horrible at OT but tolerable at G. My preference would be to use Bulaga at RG and to hope Spriggs plays up to the potential they say he has as a Tackle. Running less - mainly as a change of pace - also will make the O Line at least seem better with the element of surprise.

I would agree, we still have more question marks than we should on defense, but on offense, we should be even more solid than before even if there is no help from free agency or the draft.

wist43
03-20-2017, 07:27 PM

I think most of the frustration comes from the fact that TT doesn't fill defensive positions of need that he and the organization have proven to be completely inept at evaluating, drafting, and developing.

The problem with this team is, and always will be, defense. Signing some competent defenders that would fill holes would go a long way toward getting us to another SB, but Ted simply won't admit that he hasn't a clue how to build a defense.

BZnDallas
03-20-2017, 09:38 PM
I totally get that Wist. And I bet if you polled the forum the majority would want added help on the defense too. I'm all for that, we're not advocating against that argument. But I can be mad at TT for one thing, and like him for something else he does. Nobody here has ever written (at least that I've read) that TT is perfect, or even the best GM in the league. So he's going to have deficiencies, like we agree, him building a defense. But let's give him credit for bringing House back. That's one less hole to fill, and let's them take a CB further down in the draft and hopefully focus on a plug and play Guard or Edge player earlier. The FA TE signnings mean zero or late draft picks get used on that position. And other positions move up the need portion of the draft board.

Rutnstrut
03-20-2017, 10:27 PM
I haven't heard anyone complain about the mediocre at best ILB's lately. Is everyone just assuming that TT will never fix that problem either?

gbgary
03-20-2017, 11:58 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Aaron Rodgers and his mobility make all O Linemen, past, present, and future, that have blocked for him BETTER - much better. That, and it's a helluva lot easier to be a "good" Guard than a "good" Offensive Tackle. Take Barclay (please take him hahahaha), horrible at OT but tolerable at G. My preference would be to use Bulaga at RG and to hope Spriggs plays up to the potential they say he has as a Tackle. Running less - mainly as a change of pace - also will make the O Line at least seem better with the element of surprise.

I would agree, we still have more question marks than we should on defense, but on offense, we should be even more solid than before even if there is no help from free agency or the draft.

the Packers o-line was the number 1 pass blocking line last year according to pff. don't think they count scramble plays in their calculations/grades of o-lines. i think the o-line makes HIM better. his mobility extends plays, gives wrs extra time to get open. we've seen him with shitty lines and or wrs that can't get open. it's not pretty.

gbgary
03-21-2017, 12:01 AM
I haven't heard anyone complain about the mediocre at best ILB's lately. Is everyone just assuming that TT will never fix that problem either?

haven't you heard. everything can be fixed in the draft and signing of undrafted players. just ask ted. seriously though ilb is the least of the d's problems.

BZnDallas
03-21-2017, 02:02 AM
haven't you heard. everything can be fixed in the draft and signing of undrafted players. just ask ted. seriously though ilb is the least of the d's problems.

Good grief. Is the sky falling too? Quit crying (Ron) wolf. :-)

Smidgeon
03-21-2017, 08:10 AM
I think most of the frustration comes from the fact that TT doesn't fill defensive positions of need that he and the organization have proven to be completely inept at evaluating, drafting, and developing.

The problem with this team is, and always will be, defense. Signing some competent defenders that would fill holes would go a long way toward getting us to another SB, but Ted simply won't admit that he hasn't a clue how to build a defense.

Just from this last draft, Kenny Clark doesn't count? From the draft before, Rollins and Randall? From before that HHCD? It seems to me that the top pick or two usually addresses a need that year or one that will be coming up soon. I for one don't lament the pick of Jordy Nelson though it wasn't a need at the time.

Zool
03-21-2017, 08:20 AM

I actually agree with this. They get guys who seem to flash a lot of potential but rarely does a guy stick long term. It's not for a lack of trying though. I don't have hard numbers, but it seems like the O draft picks pan out at a much higher rate than the D draft picks.

BZnDallas
03-21-2017, 09:09 AM
I actually agree with this. They get guys who seem to flash a lot of potential but rarely does a guy stick long term. It's not for a lack of trying though. I don't have hard numbers, but it seems like the O draft picks pan out at a much higher rate than the D draft picks.

It does seem like his defensive picks hit less than his offensive ones. And the guys that don't like TT will tell us that's more reason to bring in defensive FAs. However that deters from the develop part of draft and develop system. And when draft and develop is your forte, it seems prohibitive to bring in those players.

pbmax
03-21-2017, 09:12 AM

I do want to see what Ponch and Jon can do with a healthy season.

But this is taking time like finding Collins took time.

Joemailman
03-21-2017, 09:42 PM
Packers to interview former Washington DL Ricky Jean Francois. http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/03/21/packers-hosting-free-agent-dl-jean-francois/99475100/

He was released by Washington last week.

HarveyWallbangers
03-21-2017, 09:46 PM
Packers to interview former Washington DL Ricky Jean Francois. http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/03/21/packers-hosting-free-agent-dl-jean-francois/99475100/

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/after-release-redskins-ricky-jean-francois-has-plenty-options

When the Redskins made the surprise cut of Ricky Jean-François last week many folks wondered if the move was directly football related...

His numbers don't pop off the page, but François is a big presence (6-foot-3, 300 pounds), as well as a locker room leader and hard worker. He will find a job, and quickly.

Sounds like decent depth.

Bretsky
03-21-2017, 11:05 PM
http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/after-release-redskins-ricky-jean-francois-has-plenty-options

Sounds like decent depth.

This would be a good signing and like others we would not need to give up 8th round draft pick so it's up TT's alley

pbmax
03-22-2017, 01:04 PM
Bob McGinn‏ @BobMcGinn 8m8 minutes ago
Minus leverage as exclusive rights FA, Joe Thomas re-signed Packers' minimum 1-yr, $615K offer. Played 65.9% of snaps as team's best ILB.

texaspackerbacker
03-22-2017, 04:07 PM
A Good Cheap Signing. He may not have a high ceiling, but he has played better ILB up to now than anybody other than Clay Matthews.

pbmax
03-22-2017, 04:34 PM
Field Yates‏ @FieldYates

Source: RB Christine Michael & OT Byron Bell both visited the Packers today. Michael finished 2016 with Green Bay.

gbgary
03-22-2017, 05:53 PM
Michael has been resigned.

pbmax
03-22-2017, 05:56 PM

You going with his instagram or did someone confirm this?

pbmax
03-22-2017, 05:59 PM

Field Yates‏ @FieldYates 31m31 minutes ago
Source: after visiting the team today, RB Christine Michael has re-signed with the Packers.

pbmax
03-22-2017, 06:00 PM
You going with his instagram or did someone confirm this?

New media confirmation via Instagram:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7jjQt9XUAQJk0v.jpg:large

Joemailman
03-22-2017, 06:02 PM
Source: after visiting the team today, RB Christine Michael has re-signed with the Packers.

I like him as a change of pace back. Everything he doers is fast, if not always correct.

pbmax
03-22-2017, 06:05 PM
I like him as a change of pace back. Everything he doers is fast, if not always correct.

You'd think that would be a fix tailor made for Bennett and company. Though Edgar might be busier with no Clements around this year.

pbmax
03-22-2017, 06:08 PM
Bob Condotta‏ @bcondotta 37m37 minutes ago
So pick No. 61 of 2013 draft by Packers, Eddie Lacy, now with Seahawks, and pick No. 62 by Seahawks, Michael, stays with Packers.

texaspackerbacker
03-22-2017, 06:28 PM
Good they retained Michael. I've heard him called stupid in here. I think it was Nick Collins some people ragged on that way too. I'll take whatever perceived mental slowness he might have over physical slowness of some plodder RB any day.

Teamcheez1
03-22-2017, 06:37 PM
Good they retained Michael. I've heard him called stupid in here. I think it was Nick Collins some people ragged on that way too. I'll take whatever perceived mental slowness he might have over physical slowness of some plodder RB any day.

I like the signing. With a full year in the program and the offseason, I think Michael can do good things. He showed flashes last year and is probably a better option then Peterson.

This also counts as a free agent signing for anyone keeping score.

Cheesehead Craig
03-22-2017, 07:56 PM
I also like Michael. He's got some potential if he can keep his head on straight and realize he's in a good position.

gbgary
03-22-2017, 08:17 PM

i've no problem with him at all. very quick and runs hard. he'll have a lot more time (ota's and camp) with the offense this go around.

Rutnstrut
03-22-2017, 08:24 PM
I'm glad they signed Michael, now to get stubby to actually use him.

KYPack
03-22-2017, 11:48 PM
Michael has some skills, but he's screwed up mentally. He's played for all these teams, it's got his mind fogged. He needs to save his dancing for the dance floor. Make your cut and go, kid. He's got potential, this is a critical year for him.

pbmax
03-23-2017, 08:08 AM
Michael has some skills, but he's screwed up mentally. He's played for all these teams, it's got his mind fogged. He needs to save his dancing for the dance floor. Make your cut and go, kid. He's got potential, this is a critical year for him.

Yeah, he has to slow to 1/2 speed in the backfield, make a read then accelerate. They should clockwork orange him with James Starks footage (Super Bowl version, not last year's version).

Pugger
03-23-2017, 08:10 AM

Did he leave town without a contract?

pbmax
03-23-2017, 08:10 AM
Jason Wilde‏ @jasonjwilde 13h13 hours ago
"The #Packers have some interest in a visit with Peterson, but ... it might not happen until ... [after] the draft."

The Green Bay Packers have some interest in a visit with Peterson, but it's believed that might not happen until after the team can take stock of its roster following the draft.

Not in favor. Though I am not sure I want a RB in the first to prevent it.

gbgary
03-23-2017, 09:26 AM
Did he leave town without a contract?

he didn't get there until late so he probably spent the night and is seeing them today.

pbmax
03-23-2017, 03:38 PM
Yeah, its a duplicate, but I want this thread to stay up to date.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago
Former Washington DT Ricky Jean Francois signed a one-year, $3M deal with Packers, per source.

gbgary
03-23-2017, 03:42 PM
so who's spot does he fill?

Zool
03-23-2017, 03:43 PM
so he basically takes datone's spot then.

I think he'd be in the DT/DE rotation not the OLB.

gbgary
03-23-2017, 03:45 PM
I think he'd be in the DT/DE rotation not the OLB.

he was drafted as a de but failed that. one experimental series of games doesn't qualify him as an olb in my book.

Zool
03-23-2017, 03:51 PM
he was drafted as a de but failed that. one experimental series of games doesn't qualify him as an olb in my book.

Wasn't Datone elephant all season this year? Francis will be Guion's replacement in base and a rotation guy in Wist's favorite 2-4 formation and I would think. Daniels, Clark, Franky/Guion in 3-4.

pbmax
03-23-2017, 03:52 PM
Datone was OLB all year last year.

SMBASS
03-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Jason Wilde‏ @jasonjwilde 13h13 hours ago
"The #Packers have some interest in a visit with Peterson, but ... it might not happen until ... [after] the draft."

Not in favor. Though I am not sure I want a RB in the first to prevent it.

I'm not buying that the Packers have had any interest whatsoever in Peterson. I think it's just all bullshit smoke and mirrors thrown up by his agent. Notice how during every free agency period the Pack always gets used by the agents as one of the teams that is interested in so and so. I think they do this because they know that T.T. and the Pack are so tight lipped that nobody will refute their alleged, "interest".

reported by several sources

Translation: AP's agent talking to multiple reporters. ~Andrew Brandt

pbmax
03-23-2017, 04:36 PM
After the draft makes it a bit dubious too. Could easily be a polite brush off.

"We'd love to talk to you about Purple Jesus, but its going to have to be some time after the draft when we know where we stand."

hoosier
03-23-2017, 06:06 PM
so who's spot does he fill?

Guion's.

Gotarace
03-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Rumors are swirling around that LeGarrette Blount is set to sign with the Packers....would be a great move in my book.

gbgary
03-23-2017, 08:45 PM
Rumors are swirling around that LeGarrette Blount is set to sign with the Packers....would be a great move in my book.

a short yardage hammer. i'd go for that.

edit: didn't find anything on this rumor.

Joemailman
03-23-2017, 09:10 PM
a short yardage hammer. i'd go for that.

edit: didn't find anything on this rumor.

Some clown on Wikipedia said Blount is a Packer. Maybe that's where the rumor came from. http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Wikipedia-had-Packers-signing-LeGarrette-Blount--51880790

wist43
03-23-2017, 09:18 PM
I liked Francios when he was with SF, not sure what his issues were with the skins... I'd love to sign Peterson - even though I'm not that concerned about the offense.

As for signing Francios or any defender for that matter... it really doesn't matter much b/c dunderdummy is the biggest problem we have on D.

We're dead in the water as long as dunderdummy is sabotaging the D.

Gotarace
03-23-2017, 09:59 PM
This is where I saw something on LeGarrette Blount...this being said I have never heard of this site before... http://www.5thtackle.com/legarrette-blount-set-to-sign-with-green-bay/

pbmax
03-24-2017, 10:37 AM
Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 6m6 minutes ago
The #Colts today released defensive tackle Arthur Jones, who had a $7.35M cap hit for 2017

Not a bad talent there.

gbgary
03-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 6m6 minutes ago
The #Colts today released defensive tackle Arthur Jones, who had a $7.35M cap hit for 2017

Not a bad talent there.

so you saying cut guion and sign this guy?

pbmax
03-24-2017, 11:53 AM
so you saying cut guion and sign this guy?

Not a perfect fit. Francois was cheap and took Pennell's place. Jones would be pricier I bet, though he has been hurt. And spot on Packers roster now is 4 game Guion suspension. Not sure I would trust him beyond that.

Just odd that someone at that level got released so late in FA game.

gbgary
03-24-2017, 12:13 PM
Not a perfect fit. Francois was cheap and took Pennell's place. Jones would be pricier I bet, though he has been hurt. And spot on Packers roster now is 4 game Guion suspension. Not sure I would trust him beyond that.

Just odd that someone at that level got released so late in FA game.

well...if he's better (i don't really know anything about the guy) than guion then he should do it. it's about getting better. i might bring my FA grade for him to a C if he does. lol

pbmax
03-24-2017, 12:15 PM
well...if he's better (i don't really know anything about the guy) than guion then he should do it. it's about getting better. i might bring my FA grade for him to a C if he does. lol

If I recall correctly, he's got (or had) that rare inside pass rush. But Ravens let him go and so did Colts now.

pbmax
03-24-2017, 12:17 PM
Top Free Agents left for Packers http://packerstalk.com/2017/03/24/packers-football-friday-5-free-agents-to-still-consider/

1. Perry Riley, ILB Oakland Raiders
2. Lardarius Webb, DB Ravens
3. Byron Bell, OL Titans
4. Dwight Freeney, OLB Falcons
5. Deandre Levy, ILB Lions

wist43
03-24-2017, 09:02 PM
If I recall correctly, he's got (or had) that rare inside pass rush. But Ravens let him go and so did Colts now.

Dom doesn't care about inside pass rush any more than he cares about ILB play.

He had a good interior rusher in Raji and misused him by trying to turn him into run stuffing 2-4 DT. Now he's doing the same thing with Daniels.

The problem isn't players, the problem is Capers.

Zool
03-24-2017, 09:21 PM
And the beat goes on. Yeah the beat goes on

wist43
03-24-2017, 10:01 PM
And the beat goes on. Yeah the beat goes on

Year after year... and Rodgers is another year older.

I'll give TT a little credit though, he does seem to have found a small sense of urgency. Too bad the organization can't see what a fraud Capers is.

Zool
03-24-2017, 10:35 PM
Year after year... and Rodgers is another year older.

I'll give TT a little credit though, he does seem to have found a small sense of urgency. Too bad the organization can't see what a fraud Capers is.

I was referring to your Ripken-like streak of complaining about Capers without change.

falco
03-24-2017, 10:55 PM
It's fine to have a dissenting opinion and there's certainly room for criticism, but when you speak in absolutes, repetitively parrot one opinion, and conveniently disappear when the facts don't support your narrative, you have to expect others to start discounting your point of view.

wist43
03-25-2017, 12:02 AM
What was I thinking... Dom is da man, lol

All those dismal numbers and embarrassing performances are on Ted... wait, what??? I'm so confused...

Which is it??

RashanGary
03-25-2017, 08:21 AM

All those dismal numbers and embarrassing performances are on Ted... wait, what??? I'm so confused...

Which is it??

Do you think the packers are a dismal and embarrassing team?

Zool
03-25-2017, 12:31 PM

Which is it??

All I'm saying is everyone here knows your opinion on the matter. That dead horse ain't getting any deader. Maybe add something new?

wist43
03-25-2017, 01:44 PM
Do you think the packers are a dismal and embarrassing team?

No, of course not; however, the organization has a tremendous blindspot which rises to the level of being a fundamental flaw - and that is related to all things defense.

TT is ultimately responsible b/c he is the one that needs to fire Capers.

During a press conference year before, or last, Eliot Wolf admitted that the Packers don't value the ILB position very much - and that of course is born out in how they procure players for the position, and how perpetually weak we are in the middle of our defense. As I said, TT is ultimately responsible, but it is Capers who cares nothing about controlling the middle of the field; hence, his addiction to running that abominable 2-4 year in and year out, play in and play out.

Capers has fielded some of the worst defenses in NFL history during his time in Green Bay... yet he's still here.

No, the organization isn't an embarrassment - but Capers surely is.

wist43
03-25-2017, 01:51 PM
All I'm saying is everyone here knows your opinion on the matter. That dead horse ain't getting any deader. Maybe add something new?

We're all stuck in the same ruts... including you, Ted, and Dom.

It is Ted who refuses to fire Capers, and it is Capers who keeps running that same piece of shit scheme, and it is the organization that keeps misjudging players - mainly b/c of Dom's input I'd guess - and the beat goes on.

Nothing is going to change - b/c the Packers have changed nothing. It isn't me... It's Ted's refusal to call a spade a spade, and send Capers off into retirement.

We have a puncher's chance b/c we have the QB - but for all intents and purposes, we're sunk before the opening kickoff of the season b/c of Capers.

Zool
03-25-2017, 05:38 PM
We're all stuck in the same ruts... including you, Ted, and Dom.

It is Ted who refuses to fire Capers, and it is Capers who keeps running that same piece of shit scheme, and it is the organization that keeps misjudging players - mainly b/c of Dom's input I'd guess - and the beat goes on.

Nothing is going to change - b/c the Packers have changed nothing. It isn't me... It's Ted's refusal to call a spade a spade, and send Capers off into retirement.

We have a puncher's chance b/c we have the QB - but for all intents and purposes, we're sunk before the opening kickoff of the season b/c of Capers.

And the beat goes on.

texaspackerbacker
03-25-2017, 07:16 PM
Given the personnel that Ted has provided us, that "same piece of shit scheme" put forth by Capers is the only thing keeping the Packers D from being "dismal and embarrassing".

pbmax
03-25-2017, 08:07 PM

Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein 2h2 hours ago
#Packers gave RB Christine Michael a one-year, $800,000 deal that included $25,000 signing bonus. Veteran salary benefit, so cap # is $640K.

wist43
03-25-2017, 08:59 PM
Given the personnel that Ted has provided us, that "same piece of shit scheme" put forth by Capers is the only thing keeping the Packers D from being "dismal and embarrassing".

So you should be on the Fire TT Bandwagon, then - no??

Because one thing is for sure and for certain - Green Bay's defense sucks, and has sucked for many years.

The one year we actually had a decent shot was the year MM/Dom wilted under the pressure in Seattle.

25 years of HOF QB's, and only 2 titles?? Sorry, but I expect more.

Teamcheez1
03-25-2017, 09:15 PM
And the beat goes on.

We're just the Cleveland Browns with a better QB.....

wist43
03-25-2017, 09:21 PM
We're just the Cleveland Browns with a better QB.....

Not too far off...

Rodgers goes down and we stumble to a 2-5-1 record; Brady is suspended for the Pats, and they go 3-1 and look good doing it.

Without Rodgers, the Packers are very much a sub .500 team.

smuggler
03-25-2017, 10:23 PM
To be fair, some years the Browns are actually a reasonable roster *sans* the QB. Think Brady couldn't win 10 or 11 games with the 2014 Browns? I bet he could. Rodgers, too.

Rutnstrut
03-26-2017, 10:16 AM
Not too far off...

Rodgers goes down and we stumble to a 2-5-1 record; Brady is suspended for the Pats, and they go 3-1 and look good doing it.

Spot on, and I have been saying it for a long time as well. Rodgers makes TT and stubby look great, not anything they do on their own. Sure TT drafted Rodgers, but every draft pick has a degree of luck involved, be it good luck or bad.

Upnorth
03-26-2017, 01:23 PM
To be fair, some years the Browns are actually a reasonable roster *sans* the QB. Think Brady couldn't win 10 or 11 games with the 2014 Browns? I bet he could. Rodgers, too.

No way Brady wins 10 games with the 2016 browns. 2014 for sure, had a decent defence and run game.

smuggler
03-26-2017, 01:39 PM
Just saying, the 2014 Browns were sub-500, but were a good QB away from a playoff team and possible SB contender (considering they play in the AFC).

pbmax
03-26-2017, 02:23 PM
Not too far off...

Roster composition or backup QB issue?

More impressed by NE year with Cassel as starter than last year's 3-1. Cassel could not hold another starting QB job.

Pugger
03-27-2017, 12:55 PM

Its hard to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Fritz
03-27-2017, 04:03 PM
It's not hard, but it doesn't taste very good.

pbmax
03-27-2017, 05:55 PM
Ted Thompson acknowledged this much about the Packers' running back situation. "We need some more guys," the GM told reporters at the NFL annual meetings on Monday. "We're a little short in a couple of areas. So from a personnel standpoint, we've got to get some more bodies. But we like the guys that we have, it's just that we'd like to get some more."

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0638091919951404268-4

texaspackerbacker
03-27-2017, 06:05 PM
That's exactly the damn problem. Ted thinks we just need more of what we have - a few more bodies. What we need is a couple of star quality players. We have plenty of journeymen.

gbgary
03-27-2017, 07:25 PM
That's exactly the damn problem. Ted thinks we just need more of what we have - a few more bodies. What we need is a couple of star quality players. We have plenty of journeymen.

this!

Rutnstrut
03-27-2017, 08:08 PM
Ted is always happy to throw shit at the wall and hope some of it sticks.

Pugger
03-28-2017, 04:34 PM
It's not hard, but it doesn't taste very good.

:lol:

pbmax
03-29-2017, 09:13 AM
Two from Wilde.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-bryan-bulaga-jason-spriggs-not-in-mix-for-right/article_70afe6b4-1976-5e65-b344-177549dc7a37.html

I think Pugger mentioned this news earlier, but here is a writeup of McCarthy saying that Bulaga and Spriggs are staying at tackle. He likes Bennett's personality and thinks he will be a good fit. He was surprised to see Lang go. Its clear the guaranteed money sold him on the Lions.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-ted-thompson-says-signing-veteran-free-agents-was-just/article_e63fcc71-9fed-553c-9184-6d3c4f9416de.html

Ted covered here, Wilde's read is that Packers would have kept Lang and Hyde but not at price offered by new teams. Thompson also says might not be done. Its clear they did not expect to lose Lang, the Lions contract was a surprise they weren't willing to match.

BZnDallas
03-29-2017, 09:22 AM
Two from Wilde.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-bryan-bulaga-jason-spriggs-not-in-mix-for-right/article_70afe6b4-1976-5e65-b344-177549dc7a37.html

I think Pugger mentioned this news earlier, but here is a writeup of McCarthy saying that Bulaga and Spriggs are staying at tackle. He likes Bennett's personality and thinks he will be a good fit. He was surprised to see Lang go. Its clear the guaranteed money sold him on the Lions.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/packers-ted-thompson-says-signing-veteran-free-agents-was-just/article_e63fcc71-9fed-553c-9184-6d3c4f9416de.html

Ted covered here, Wilde's read is that Packers would have kept Lang and Hyde but not at price offered by new teams. Thompson also says might not be done. Its clear they did not expect to lose Lang, the Lions contract was a surprise they weren't willing to match.

Not to beat a dead horse here or anything but this is why I can see TT go Guard early. If he's just not sold on the current roster being able to fill Lang's shoes I can see Lamp, if Teds top couple of tiers are picked over.

pbmax
03-29-2017, 09:30 AM
Could be.

Meanwhile, the new TE might be worth the price of his guarantee if only to impart these great questions to all his Offensive teammates.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C8DwahtXwAATVVb.jpg:large

red
03-29-2017, 09:33 AM
Just an update

We still have about 23 million in cap space

BZnDallas
03-29-2017, 09:44 AM
Read somewhere they may rollover $10 mil to help in Aarons renegotiation. Then there's what $5-$6 mil for the rookies and a couple mil left over for emergencies and it looks like we have enough to bring in a vet RB if we don't draft a guy, or another hole we might not be able to fill via draft.

red
03-29-2017, 11:58 AM
Read somewhere they may rollover $10 mil to help in Aarons renegotiation. Then there's what $5-$6 mil for the rookies and a couple mil left over for emergencies and it looks like we have enough to bring in a vet RB if we don't draft a guy, or another hole we might not be able to fill via draft.
We don't need 5 or 6 for rookies. We need 1.5-2

I've corrected this already in another thread

red
03-29-2017, 12:03 PM
And we aren't gonna need to redo a-rods contract if we keep Barry sandering him

SMBASS
03-29-2017, 12:30 PM

You're right red. Can't remember where in the heck I saw it now but I think the article I read said that our rookie cap hit should be about $2 or $2.1 mil. this year. As you mentioned, we still currently have over $20 mil. to play with.

BZnDallas
03-29-2017, 12:51 PM

Gee sorry Boss. I'll make it a point to read ALL your posts before posting again.

Barry Sandering him???

As I said in another post, TT has already brought in 4 FAs this off season. 2 of which on ARs side of the ball. Try again.

red
03-29-2017, 01:18 PM
And how many has he lost? Our improvement have been marginal

When a rod told the team to go "all in". I seriously doubt this is what he meant

BZnDallas
03-29-2017, 01:33 PM

When a rod told the team to go "all in". I seriously doubt this is what he meant

As long as I've been watching TT, this sure seems like his version of 'all-in'. Like it or not.

Geez I hate it when TT haters make me defend TT. I have my issues with the man, but damn, can we be realistic for once? The man isn't going bat shit crazy to spend his money. Get over it, appreciate the fact he seems to be making changes to his philosophy.

pbmax
03-29-2017, 09:09 PM
You're right red. Can't remember where in the heck I saw it now but I think the article I read said that our rookie cap hit should be about $2 or $2.1 mil. this year. As you mentioned, we still currently have over $20 mil. to play with.

There is not as much room as you think. Packers do have $22-23 million in space. They also have 62 players on the roster. Lowest in the League.

Bears have $20 mil of space and 78 players signed.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

pbmax
03-30-2017, 05:25 PM
There is not as much room as you think. Packers do have $22-23 million in space. They also have 62 players on the roster. Lowest in the League.

C'mon you bunch of complaining panty-waists! 62 players on the roster at $22.5 million of space. They just singed the Guard. 63 players now, 80 (or 90 don't remember) are going to camp, Top 51 count on salary cap until cut downs I think.

Someone screaming to spend money figure out how much is left and who to sign. Now is you chance to be better than Ted.

Upnorth
03-30-2017, 05:31 PM
Butler 12/year, 5 year contract. Leaving 10 million to carry over for arods rewrite next year

But I'm ignoring the fact he won't take this and we need to trade for him.

QBME
03-30-2017, 06:23 PM
Someone screaming to spend money figure out how much is left and who to sign. Now is you chance to be better than Ted.

Yup.

Bretsky
03-30-2017, 07:22 PM
C'mon you bunch of complaining panty-waists! 62 players on the roster at $22.5 million of space. They just singed the Guard. 63 players now, 80 (or 90 don't remember) are going to camp, Top 51 count on salary cap until cut downs I think.

OK, now you are sounding like Mr Turtle's Campaign Manager again

While all of Packerrats was screaming for Conner Barwin, you and Ted were really watching Arena Football League games, weren't you ? :)))))

red
03-30-2017, 07:40 PM

What the hell does it matter how many guys we have signed when only the top 51 count?

We could have 120 guys signed to the team right now and the cap space would be the same

The bottom 20 or 30 guys out of that 51 are gonna be making the minimum

pbmax
03-30-2017, 11:09 PM
What the hell does it matter how many guys we have signed when only the top 51 count?

We could have 120 guys signed to the team right now and the cap space would be the same

The bottom 20 or 30 guys out of that 51 are gonna be making the minimum

The Top 51 only counts in the offseason. The real action is near cut downs when the whole roster gets counted.

According to the Better Than Tedsters, a minimum $ guy like Justin or his twin Jordan the Guards don't count. So I am assuming you want to spend some millions. Which means that FA is going to be in the 20-30 guys making more than the minimum.

So how much he makes influences how many minimum guys you need.

So I want to know how much you think they should spend.

pbmax
03-30-2017, 11:11 PM
OK, now you are sounding like Mr Turtle's Campaign Manager again

While all of Packerrats was screaming for Conner Barwin, you and Ted were really watching Arena Football League games, weren't you ? :)))))

Intrigued by Barwin and probably would have cheered his signing. But his numbers don't look hot. I know the scheme was an issue but I sense warning lights coming off the guy.

As for Arena League, if it was good enough for Kurt Warner, it is good enough for a Guard.

pbmax
03-30-2017, 11:13 PM
Oh good gravy.

Mike Garafolo‏ @MikeGarafolo
Aforementioned team that brought in Joe Mixon this week was the Packers. Like others, getting info/medical they didn't get at Combine.

Teamcheez1
03-31-2017, 07:03 AM
Oh good gravy.

Mike Garafolo‏ @MikeGarafolo
Aforementioned team that brought in Joe Mixon this week was the Packers. Like others, getting info/medical they didn't get at Combine.

I wondered if the Packers would consider Mixon. They can than sign Petersen and bring back Ray Rice for the trifecta.

I actually think Mixon could be one of the steals of the draft.

pbmax
03-31-2017, 05:15 PM
Tom Silverstein‏ @TomSilverstein 48s48 seconds ago
Per NFL transaction wire, #Packers have signed street FA long snapper Derek Hart. Joins another street free agent, Taybor Pepper.

Bretsky
04-03-2017, 09:02 PM
Per NFL transaction wire, #Packers have signed street FA long snapper Derek Hart. Joins another street free agent, Taybor Pepper.

Now the real question..does he have an Arena League Resume ??

pbmax
04-06-2017, 07:44 PM
Jason Wilde‏ @jasonjwilde Apr 5
Also on #NFL transaction wire in addition to Ego Ferguson being waived/failed physical, #Packers RB Don Jackson signed his ERFA tender.

Pugger
04-06-2017, 11:19 PM

Have we moved on from Goode?

gbgary
04-07-2017, 08:17 AM
Rodgers releases Munn...gets immediate cap relief.

pbmax
04-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Have we moved on from Goode?

It would seem so. He has not been signed and there are two other long snappers on the team. But no one is saying anything directly.

red
04-07-2017, 03:50 PM
It would seem so. He has not been signed and there are two other long snappers on the team. But no one is saying anything directly.

it looks like 650,000 is too much to pay for a dependable long snapper when you can find a possible replacement for 450,000

edit, he made 885,00o last year

the guy is 32, he's getting up there in age

red
04-09-2017, 09:16 AM
good article that doesn't look at the packers offseason through green and gold glasses

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/football/professional/tom-oates-draft-unlikely-to-provide-the-help-packers-need/article_d6b8ddfe-18a0-5246-9b3d-951b4516869d.html

Every one of those moves was worth making. However, they weren’t enough to make Green Bay a winner in the first month of the offseason. In fact, the Packers are nowhere near as good right now as they were when the season ended. At this point in the process, the incoming talent hasn’t matched the outgoing talent.

and something that i brought up a couple weeks ago, and was attacked

Here’s the problem: The chances of the Packers filling four major holes in one draft with immediate-impact players aren’t good. In fact, they’re just this side of impossible.

pbmax
04-09-2017, 09:31 AM
1. Why do they need a workhorse, between the tackles RB like Lacy? Does anyone think Monty is not the starter and full time guy? Does anyone not think good running backs are available later in the draft? Lacy got draft at the bottom end of the second.

2. Its more than likely that the starting Guard in on the roster right now.

3. CB - The need is obvious but there are in house candidates. I doubt the Packers expect a rookie to start. That hasn't happened very often. Hayward had to lose the job for it to happen recently.

4. Pass Rush - Again, need is obvious but there is another candidate (Fackrell). I could see a draft pick starting (or getting significant reps in specific packages) here.

bobblehead
04-09-2017, 12:49 PM
1. Why do they need a workhorse, between the tackles RB like Lacy? Does anyone think Monty is not the starter and full time guy? Does anyone not think good running backs are available later in the draft? Lacy got draft at the bottom end of the second.

2. Its more than likely that the starting Guard in on the roster right now.

3. CB - The need is obvious but there are in house candidates. I doubt the Packers expect a rookie to start. That hasn't happened very often. Hayward had to lose the job for it to happen recently.

4. Pass Rush - Again, need is obvious but there is another candidate (Fackrell). I could see a draft pick starting (or getting significant reps in specific packages) here.

Well said. The only big beef with the article is that they refuse to believe anyone on the roster at the moment can step up. I fully expect a suitable guard is on the roster. I expect monty plus draft is better than lacy. I think ALL our CBs improve, plus we will draft a guy. I also think we will go edge with the first pick and that pick will contribute.

Maxie the Taxi
04-09-2017, 03:27 PM
To get an Edge guy who will make a difference, you're gonna have to draft him in the 1st or 2nd round, unless you think Tanoh Kpassagnon is another Julius Peppers.

Who is the starting Guard on the roster? Patrick? Barclay? McCray? Maybe all serviceable, but none tested. And we're talking a couple steps down from Lang. Ted's going to have to pull one out of his hat in the fourth round or later.

I like Monty, but he's not going to play every down. I hope Ted signs LaGarrette Blount. He'd be nice RB insurance, plus he'd save us having to spend a draft choice on a RB.

There are starting quality CB's in this draft who are better than we have on our roster. Ted will get one in the 1st round.

pbmax
04-09-2017, 03:40 PM
To get an Edge guy who will make a difference, you're gonna have to draft him in the 1st or 2nd round, unless you think Tanoh Kpassagnon is another Julius Peppers.

Who is the starting Guard on the roster? Patrick? Barclay? McCray? Maybe all serviceable, but none tested. And we're talking a couple steps down from Lang. Ted's going to have to pull one out of his hat in the fourth round or later.

I like Monty, but he's not going to play every down. I hope Ted signs LaGarrette Blount. He'd be nice RB insurance, plus he'd save us having to spend a draft choice on a RB.

There are starting quality CB's in this draft who are better than we have on our roster. Ted will get one in the 1st round.

Monty has the size to do it. I doubt it myself, but McCarthy seems convinced that a lack of history at the position is not going to hurt him. We have a pretty good in season test in his favor and his one significant injury was getting his foot trapped on a tackle. They aren't going to roll in the season with he and Don Jackson, but the odds of adding the top big back are low, no matter what Tom Oates thinks.

Agree about the Edge rusher who can play 3 downs, but you can find someone to pressure the QB on passing downs only later in the draft.

None of the Guards on the roster will be Lang, but veteran Lang costs $20 mil of guaranteed money. He could take a Guard high, but it would either have to be Larry Allen unless Ted and Campen are convinced the youngsters can't hold up.

Cornerback can go either way. Surefire starters go in the first round, this draft might be deep enough to find one at the Packers pick or in the 2nd round. But Ted has found starters elsewhere.

I think the team needs are CB, Edge, Guard and RB in that order. But the draft likelihood is Edge, CB, RB, Guard. And Oates is wrong that the draft plus young guys won't make the Packers a better team that last year. Health alone will do it.

Maxie the Taxi
04-09-2017, 04:45 PM
I think the team needs are CB, Edge, Guard and RB in that order. But the draft likelihood is Edge, CB, RB, Guard. I agree with your assessment of team needs. How it actually goes down is anyone's guess with TT picking, but like you say, edge talent is available into the middle rounds. Starter quality boundry CB's? No. I just don't see Gunter or Rollins or House as the answer outside. Even Randall is a big question mark.

texaspackerbacker
04-09-2017, 04:49 PM
We would be just fine at RB with Montgomery, Michael, Ripkowski, and maybe Crockett if he is healed up.

I think Edge Rusher on the Packers is mostly a "system" thing - any fairly fast athletic guy will have at least moderate success. Thus, there probably is no great need to draft one early.

ILB on the other hand, it would be nice to get a star-quality player. I'm not sure anybody fitting that description is available, though, even as a first round pick.

Ideally, getting an outstanding Corner is the way to go. It didn't happen in free agency, though, and it would seem just about anybody you draft there, it's a crap shoot whether he will perform better than the collection of disappointments we have now. If we do draft one high, I'd rather he be instinctive - a slightly faster version of Gunter - than super athletic and shaky on coverage instinct.

Guard or O Line in general also tend to not be very sure things as high draft picks. A #1 is way too likely to bomb or be mediocre, and a mid-round pick is about as likely to step up.

I tend to like BPA. Jabril Peppers could be that, but honestly he doesn't impress me much.

Maxie the Taxi
04-09-2017, 05:00 PM
I pretty much agree, Tex. But I never quite believed in the "BPA" idea. It's all judgement. Is Taco Charltan better than Forrest Lamp or Gareon Conley? You can't help adding team needs into the mix.

RashanGary
04-09-2017, 06:05 PM
I pretty much agree, Tex. But I never quite believed in the "BPA" idea. It's all judgement. Is Taco Charltan better than Forrest Lamp or Gareon Conley? You can't help adding team needs into the mix.

They have tiers.....

ABC
DEFGHI
JKLMNO
PQRS
TUVWXYZ

if only one person is left from tier one. Let's say player C and that's an OT, then by Tt's bpa philosophy, you should take him even if you don't need him. But usually there are a few guys to choose from and that's why they usually get a guy that fits a need. This year is deep at edge, cb and RB. Those happen to be needs. I'm guessing we'll get one of those with each pick in the first 3 rounds.

Maxie the Taxi
04-09-2017, 06:29 PM
They have tiers.....

ABC
DEFGHI
JKLMNO
PQRS
TUVWXYZ

if only one person is left from tier one. Let's say player C and that's an OT, then by Tt's bpa philosophy, you should take him even if you don't need him. But usually there are a few guys to choose from and that's why they usually get a guy that fits a need. This year is deep at edge, cb and RB. Those happen to be needs. I'm guessing we'll get one of those with each pick in the first 3 rounds.If it were me, I'd include players from our roster in the tiers. It seems to me the object should be drafting players that are better than the ones you already have, especially at key positions and positions of need. For instance, no matter which draft QB is in which tier, I doubt TT selects a QB this year. :-)

Zool
04-09-2017, 08:39 PM
I think BPA comes down to roster build in addition to the talent level of the players available at your pick. Have 3 guys ranked very close together, you take the one that fits your roster. If it's a Rodgers falling to your spot and you think he'll be all world, you take him anyway. That's pretty unlikely.

RashanGary
04-09-2017, 10:47 PM
For instance, no matter which draft QB is in which tier, I doubt TT selects a QB this year. :-)

That's an interesting scenario because tt did that to Favre. In extreme situations I agree, and rarely would a situation arise where it comes to that, but tt says that's what he will do. He'll draft the QB if it's he one best player available in the first round.

Upnorth
04-09-2017, 11:28 PM
Re the wsj article in regards to the loss of peppers. Was he somewhat effective at the end of the year? Yes. Did he get limited snaps, especially at the beginning of the year? Yes. Is he a vast hole that needs to be filled? No. Jones is a bigger loss than last year's peppers imo.

As to tt drafting arod, I don't really believe the bpa statement. He was 35 and waffling. Qb was an upcoming need and boy did we get lucky.

This year I want the best pass rusher/ Cb / ilb available.

pbmax
04-09-2017, 11:32 PM
Re the wsj article in regards to the loss of peppers. Was he somewhat effective at the end of the year? Yes. Did he get limited snaps, especially at the beginning of the year? Yes. Is he a vast hole that needs to be filled? No. Jones is a bigger loss than last year's peppers imo.

As to tt drafting arod, I don't really believe the bpa statement. He was 35 and waffling. Qb was an upcoming need and boy did we get lucky.

This year I want the best pass rusher/ Cb / ilb available.

I think they need an interior pass rusher more than EDGE to replace Peppers and Jones. If Clark can stay on the field with Daniels, it might not seem like they are missing APRH.

pbmax
04-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Monty has the size to do it. I doubt it myself, but McCarthy seems convinced that a lack of history at the position is not going to hurt him. We have a pretty good in season test in his favor and his one significant injury was getting his foot trapped on a tackle. They aren't going to roll in the season with he and Don Jackson, but the odds of adding the top big back are low, no matter what Tom Oates thinks.

Forgot Christine Michael.

Bretsky
04-10-2017, 12:05 PM

are you saying the additions minus our losses has been an "improvement" ??

pbmax
04-10-2017, 01:40 PM
Packer Cap Space (51) $22,579,595
Players under contract: 64
2017 Cap Expenditures: 153,733,581 (base salary cap + carryover - adjustments/deadmoney)

Rookie Cap Space: 1,433,200
Salary Cap Rules that apply here:

Yes, once the season has started, all players – whether on the 53-man roster, Injured Reserve (IR), Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) or the Practice Squad (PS) – count against the team’s Salary Cap. The only players that do not count against the Salary Cap are players who are on one of the NFL’s exempt lists.

Practice Squad: 10 players. Many make less than rookie minimum. One or two do not. But we will be unable to guess if any Packers end up on IR or PUP, so I am going to deliberately overestimate their cost by counting each at ********??

So the 51 man roster must adjust the following:
Practice Squad: 10 players * ******??
Draft picks: 8 (take place of six existing, gets to 53 active)

$?,???,??? for PS
$1,422,200 for picks
subtract six from current roster 6 * $540,000 = $3,240,000

******** Really need a viable number for the PS players. If I overestimate them at non-vested minimum ($465,000) makes quite a bit of difference.

Either way, unlike my assumption, it would look like there is $10 to $12 mil of space even Ted might spend.

red
04-10-2017, 04:10 PM
practice squad players do not make the league minimum

PS guys make make a minimum of 6,900 per week they are on the team or 117,300 for a full season

but teams can pay the PS players more to keep them. but it still seems to be below the usual minimum

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2016/9/3/12748522/2016-nfl-practice-squad-breakdown-rules-size-eligibility-salary

so maybe figure somewhere around 2-3 million for the PS

not that theres anything left to spend that 12-15 million or so on now. we'll sit on it again

pbmax
04-10-2017, 04:13 PM
practice squad players do not make the league minimum

PS guys make make a minimum of 6,900 per week they are on the team or 117,300 for a full season

but teams can pay the PS players more to keep them. but it still seems to be below the usual minimum

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2016/9/3/12748522/2016-nfl-practice-squad-breakdown-rules-size-eligibility-salary

Pretty sure Ted has paid a few guys the active roster, rookie or non-vested vet minimum while on the PS. This would still be lower than the vet minimum, which is around $800,000 but counts against the cap as less as $480 K or so.

pbmax
04-10-2017, 04:14 PM
PreSeason Schedule, no national games.

Jason Wilde‏ @jasonjwilde 6m6 minutes ago

#Packers preseason games:
8/10-13 vs. Eagles
8/17-21 at Washington
8/24-27 at Denver
8/31 vs. Rams

red
04-10-2017, 04:24 PM
Pretty sure Ted has paid a few guys the active roster, rookie or non-vested vet minimum while on the PS. This would still be lower than the vet minimum, which is around $800,000 but counts against the cap as less as $480 K or so.

this is from 2 years ago, so prices have gone up some

but this was the highest paid practice squad player in the nfl for the 2015 season

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/10/22/9592260/2015-st-louis-rams-ot-isaiah-battle

he made 25,600 a week, times 17 weeks= 435,000, so that would be around your very, VERY top end for PS guys

the cowboys did this last year

http://newsbake.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cowboys-just-dropped-huge-money-practice-squad/

the guy made $10 less then he would have made making the minimum on the active roster

gbgary
04-26-2017, 02:55 PM
Packers sign guard jahri evans.

6-time-pro-bowler-jahri-evans-signs-with-packers (http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1289160-report-6-time-pro-bowler-jahri-evans-signs-with-packers)

Carolina_Packer
04-26-2017, 03:03 PM
Interesting. Last week I was looking on Walterfootball.com at available free agent guards and he was near the top of the remaining players. Sure, he's 34, but if he has no medical issues and can make the team and help them for a year or two, and they can still develop another guy, and/or draft someone later in the draft or in college free agency. Good move.

gbgary
04-26-2017, 04:00 PM
old but not a big injury history with him.

Bossman641
04-26-2017, 04:08 PM
I'm a fan of the move.

Guiness
04-26-2017, 04:55 PM
Packers sign guard jahri evans.

6-time-pro-bowler-jahri-evans-signs-with-packers (http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1289160-report-6-time-pro-bowler-jahri-evans-signs-with-packers)

Last season was different for him - he was an FA and signed with Seattle. They let him go before the season started, Saints picked him back up and he started all 16 games! Seemed pretty odd to me.

pbmax
04-26-2017, 05:50 PM
This guy is done. Literally the definition of stop gap.

They need him in case youngsters don't work out.

Not really a fan, but its a nice backstop signing.

Rutnstrut
04-26-2017, 06:08 PM
This guy is done. Literally the definition of stop gap.

They need him in case youngsters don't work out.

Not really a fan, but its a nice backstop signing.

Which they shouldn't need but the almighty fucked up and let Lang walk.

QBME
04-26-2017, 06:59 PM
Last season was different for him - he was an FA and signed with Seattle. They let him go before the season started, Saints picked him back up and he started all 16 games! Seemed pretty odd to me.

I looked up the Saints offensive stat's (passing and running, plus sacks) from 2016. Pretty impressive. I looked up the Saint's depth chart - now pretty young and formidable.

I'm thinking we have a motivated, albeit elderly, starting right guard.

Good signing.

Deputy Nutz
04-27-2017, 08:19 AM
The morning of the draft I look at this move as protection if Thompson can't land a plug and play guard in the draft. Evans can most likely get through the season, at this point you might rather have him than Sitton anyways. Sitton sat most of last season with back problems. Evans is relatively healthy and not especially old for an offensive linemen.

pbmax
04-27-2017, 09:31 AM
The morning of the draft I look at this move as protection if Thompson can't land a plug and play guard in the draft. Evans can most likely get through the season, at this point you might rather have him than Sitton anyways. Sitton sat most of last season with back problems. Evans is relatively healthy and not especially old for an offensive linemen.

Yes.

Its also Ted's favorite FA period, when the money has all dried up and costs are more reasonable.