PDA

View Full Version : Packers' Off Season Moves and 2017 Roster

Pages : [1] 2 3

Deputy Nutz
01-23-2017, 02:02 PM
Tough Loss yesterday, and for all of you that believe I hold hate in my heart for your beloved Packers I have let all of that go, so see it as perspective of someone with a level head this morning and take it for what it's worth, and as always lets discuss.

Overview: More than a few of the Packer faithful are quite upset this morning based on the morning drive into work listening to good old sports talk radio. The Packers set out to win a Super Bowl in the beginning of week 1 in the NFL, and that goal was not met, but considering this team was at 4-6 at week 11 in the season and left for dead by many, making it to the NFC Championship game was no small feat. The Packers have to find some way of staying healthy during the season and having their roster healthy at the end of the season. That might mean some huge personnel decisions in the next few months. The Packer really have to make some hard decisions on key players. I don't think a whole lot of coaches will be fired, Dom Capers might decide to hang up his whistle and that's not a good thing or a bad thing, it is what it is.

Player rankings are based off of the 2016 season. 1 - 5 stars

Offensive Roster

QBs
Aaron Rodgers *****: Rodgers demonstrated once again that he is one of the great QBs of the 21st century. Rodgers cannot be replaced as a QB. I don't know what more there is to say about him. He sort of struggled during the first half of the season and then had an amazing stretch of football through the eight game winning streak. I think I could nit pick Rodgers on holding the ball too long, but I am not going to do that.
Position on the 2017 roster: Concrete

Brett Hundley **: There isn't enough film on him, even the preseason when he was hurt for the majority of it. He is athletic and has a decent arm, but there are a lot of questions whether or not he could run an offense if Rodgers would be lost due to injury.
Position on the 2017 roster: Solid

RBs
Ty Montgomery ****: I am not sure you could ask a young player to do more in a season. He came into the season as an injury concern missing most of 2015 with a severe lower leg injury. He was the 4th receiver in camp and to start the season. He played a bit out of the backfield as package to put 5 receivers on the field. When Lacy and Starks both went down to injury Montgomery stepped into the role as an every down back and performed better than expected for the rest of the season. For the 2017 season I will be surprised if he is the every down back heading into camp. He offers a lot of flexibility but I would like to see him part of a combination package in the backfield. If the Packers head into the 2017 season with Montgomery and a bunch of street free agents in the backfield they will continue to struggle running the football.

Eddie Lacy *: :Lacy was off to his best season as a Packer. Much was made about his increase weight and in 2016 he seemed to manage it better and come into camp in better shape. A Healthy and in shape Eddie Lacy looked to carry the rushing load for the Packers especially in the first 3 games of the season. He injured in ankle in week 4 of the season and then came back against Dallas. The Ankle was tightly taped and even though Lacy was injured he broke several runs against Dallas in the first half before the ankle gave way and Lacy was lost for the entire season. The Packers need a healthy Eddie Lacy. Unfortunately Lacy comes with a lot of concerns especially going into free agency. I think his interest will be luke warm by some teams but running backs do not hold a ton of value in the NFL. The Packers could reinvest in Lacy, but that comes with a lot of hope and luck that he will be healthy and manage his waist line.
Position on the 2017 roster: 50/50

James Starks .5*: James Starks never got going in 2016. Starks is a favorite of McCarthy but his running style fell apart as he struggled through significant injuries. Coming into the season he was supposed to be the one two punch with Lacy and he never managed to solidify his position on the field due to injury.
Position on the 2017 roster: Gone

Christine Micheal *: This guy is a super talented athlete but a pretty mediocre football player. He lacks football intelligence and field awarness. He struggled to learn the offense and show patients carrying the football. He was a liability during passing downs and had to be told just about on every play where to line up. It was a good move at the time for Thompson to pick him up but he didn't make much of his opportunity in Green Bay.

Aaron Ripkowski **: Ripkowski had a solid season in 2016 replacing fan favorite and Packer legend John Kuhn. He fielded a very similar role to Kuhn as a fill in back on short yardage and a shield for Rodgers in the backfield on passing downs. He had a very forgettable NFC Championship game, but he has some skills and talent to hold onto his roster spot and playing time in 2017.

Joe Kerrige *: I guess I would have to look at the film from the 2016 season to see if he played any offensive snaps but whatever he did was not memorable. He held a roster spot for his contributions to the special teams. He did not compete with Ripkowski for playing time in the backfield.

Wide Receivers
Jordy Nelson *****: He was the NFL Comeback Player of the Year. He led the NFL in receiving touchdowns with 14. He did start off slow but as he built confidence in his rebuilt knee he started to show the burst to find the holes in the defense and work the sideline. He is Rodgers safety blanket and when he is playing full speed he has an incredible connection with Rodgers.

Devante Adams ****: Adams took a lot of the blame for the lack of production by the offense in 2015. Some even thought that he would be passed on the depth chart by the like of Jeff Janis. Adams showed up in a big way in 2016. He was second on the team in catches, yards, and touchdowns. He has sealed his spot on the depth chart as the second receiver in GB and will look to improve on his 2016 season.

Randall Cobb **: There was a significant lack of production from Randall Cobb this season. Considering that the Packers had Nelson back which allowed Cobb to work in the slot and attack the middle of the field his 10.1 yard per catch and 4 touchdowns were hardly the production the Packers were counting on for the 2016 season from Cobb. He did come up clutch against the Giants and Cowboys when Nelson was out with injury in the playoffs and Cobb did show is value, but he is due TEN MILLION in 2017 and that is a heft sum to pay a slot receiver with his 2016 production.
Position on the 2017 roster: [B]50/50/B]

Geronimo Allen **: He was quite the find by Thompson. As an undrafted rookie whose forty time was that of tree sap in January he was able to contribute to the Packers late in the season by grabbing 12 passes in the regular season. Allen has size and good hands and he should solidify the 4th receiver spot heading into camp. Allen is better than Janis and Trevor Davis but his late season contributions could just be the product of the offense and Aaron Rodgers. For the Packers to be completely sold on him might be a mistake and if a receiver is available in the draft it would be silly to pass him up based on the small glimpse they have seen on Allen.

Trevor Davis *: He played a bit against the Falcons in the regular season and in the playoffs. He simply wasn't ready yet to contribute in 2016 and kept his roster spot due to his 5th round selection in the 2016 draft. I would not say that his roster spot is guaranteed by any means in 2017.

Jeff Janis *: Janis broke a finger early in camp and missed some valuable reps in practice. He secured his spot on the roster because of his play on special teams. He provided next to nothing as a wide receiver, and will have to fight for a roster spot due to his inconsistencies in route running and securing the knowledge of the offense.

Deputy Nutz
01-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Tight End
Jared Cook **: Once Cook recovered from an ankle injury he demonstrated his ability to stretch the field as a tight end. The Packers went back in the playbook and used him out wide several times a game to take advantage of the mismatches his size and speed created. He averaged his career stats in Green Bay, so he didn't get any better or worse during his time in GB. He is a free agent in 2017 and although he was able to demonstrate his skill set late in the season it will be difficult decision to sign him to a long term deal or to let him walk. There will be interest around the league for him. It might be easier to sign him than to look in the draft for a player of his caliber.

Richard Rodgers **: Rodgers isn't anything special. He doesn't do anything better than average. He caught 30 balls this season for 2 touchdowns. The tight end position accounted for 3 touchdowns total. More production in the red zone is necessary for the tight end position. Rodgers did his best by losing some weight but it really didn't translate to the field. The Packers could keep him to keep the position solid or they could cut him, especially if Cook resigns.

Linemen
David Bakhtiari ***: Bakhtiari is talented pass blocker and when healthy he has really good feet and slide into position really nice against aggressive pass rushers. He could improve in the area of run blocking but the Packers are not paying him 12 million per year to run block.

Lane Taylor **: I think his play was adequate throughout the year. It was a good move to insert him into the starting lineup and save money on the cap. He isn't going to be the best guard to ever play the game but he will continue to improve in 2017. He is a bit sluggish at times and struggles to get to the second level in the run game. He needs to improve on blitz pickup and communication in the passing game, otherwise he has a good set and keeps the pocket relatively clean.

Corey Linsley **: I prefer the Packers offense when JC Tretter is the starter at center. Tretter is more athletic and it shows in the run game. Linsley is more a muscle head than an athlete and although Tretter is better, Linsley is solid. Like Taylor he could improve on blitz recognition, especially late in the season.

JC Tretter **: Tretter was separating himself from Linsley in the beginning of the season until he injured his knee and was lost for the season. Tretter can move and has really good feet in the zone read running scheme the Packers rely on. Hopefully he comes back healthy and can compete for the Center position.

TJ Lange **: I thought his play dipped this season. He is constantly dealing with lower leg injuries and unfortunately it is bringing down his level of play. He is a total pro playing injured and has that old school mentality. He shows strong leadership on the field and in the locker room. He re-injured his foot against Atlanta and will have to rehab. This might cut into his interest in the free agent market. Sitton got 10 million guaranteed to play with the Bears. They were desperate but it sets the bar for Lang.

Don Barclay **: Barclay found a home as the backup at both guard positions and center. He is better in the interior than at tackle. He is not an ideal fit as a long term starter but he can manage for a game or two.

Jason Spriggs **: Like most young offensive linemen the Packers ask them to play or know almost all of the position along the offensive line. Spriggs is a prototypical tackle in the NFL
but the Packers had him play guard as well. At times he struggled with the speed in the pro game and struggled to transition from college to the NFL. He does show some promise and has some athletic ability that will eventually allow him to compete for the right tackle position. I don't think it will be in 2017, but the Packers could make Bulaga a salary cap sacrifice.

Kyle Murphy *: Not sure but I don't think the Packers added him to the active roster against Atlanta because Letroy Guion had to play offensive line at the end of the game. I am sure if he was available he would have played instead. I liked him as a late pick coming out of Stanford, he has some size and a little bit of athleticism but right now he is nothing special. He struggled at times in the preseason taking on edge rushers. He might need some time to develop. Whether the Packers provide him the time is another matter.

Bryan Bulaga ***: Bulaga turned in another solid season. One that saw him stay basically injury free. As long as he can stay on the field Bulaga can be considered one of the better right tackles in the league. He will be pushed by Spriggs in 2017 and if the Packers feel that Spriggs has made up enough ground on Bulaga the Packers could part ways with him and start the younger player and save roughly 6 million in cap space.

Defense

Outside Linebacker
Clay Matthews *: I get that he was injured. When hasn't he been injured? Matthews is simply a one trick pony, his pass rush can be effective against the lesser tackles in the league against average tackles he can be blocked one on one and usually nullified. He is a below average tackler, and misses far too many. He played in 12 games this season and had a total of 24 tackles and 5 sacks. With his 13.2 million dollar salary the Packers could look to spend that money some where else because they are losing money on Clay Matthews. If the Packers keep Matthews on this 2017 roster you can expect another similar season from Matthews, he is already past his prime and is turning into a liability on defense.

Nick Perry ***: Perry stepped up in a contract year and he will be payed because of it. He had a much better pass rush this year than in years past. He didn't seem as tentative and cut the edge very well. He is much better against the run than Matthews, even with one hand. I would think the Packers will pay him, but he could walk.

Julius Peppers **: Julius Peppers is a total pro. He played more plays than what he was expecting this year and it doesn't take a Ron Wolf to notice that Peppers has lost more than a step. Peppers was still capable of a game changing play every so often, and he was sturdy against the run, but his time in Green Bay should be officially over. I can't see how the Packers could continue to pay him for his product on the field. Let him sign his one day deal with Carolina and let him retire to the Hall of Fame.

Datone Jones *: Two stars might be a little high for him. He is tweener and it shows. He plays the run about average to little above average. In 15 games he recorded 1 sack. The production just isn't there for him. He is depth as a dime rusher, and as an outside linebacker on 1st down, but to rely on him for the 2017 as a key contributor is asking too much.

Jayrone Elliot *: I just haven't seen it with him. When he is healthy and can stay on the field he is a contributor to special teams and a reserve on defense. He was signed as a project, but it hasn't developed and there is no time table for the project to be complete. He makes the team in 2017 if the Packers cut others and keep him for depth.

Kyle Frackrell **: in limited time this season he was able to grab two sacks, and 9 tackles. I admit I wasn't a big fan coming out of the draft but he showed a little bit and might be ready to step into a larger role in 2017. He has to get stronger and continue to slow the game down by watching film and getting his reps in camp.

Inside Linebackers
Jake Ryan **: He is going to be ok in the middle. he has average athleticism but he is relatively smart and takes decent angles to the ball carrier. He needs to read play action better, but when the Packers struggle to stop the run he has to commit to the run first. Several times over the past few weeks he left the middle open on passing plays because of his reaction to the play action. Ryan needs to add more muscle. He isn't going to ever gain that quick twitch to make him a threat shooting gaps or blitzing so he should add weight and fill gaps in the run game.

Blake Martinez **: Unfortunately injuries took a toll and took the wind out of this young players rookie season. Much like Ryan he is going to struggle a bit because he is not overly big, quick, or fast. He is smart and he does have some instincts. The Packers will need for him to put on some bulk for the 2017 season. He was undersized even as a nickle linebacker.

Joe Thomas **: What you see is what you get. He can contribute when he isn't expected to play every down. He eventually wore down when Martinez and Ryan suffered injury. He is decent in coverage but is not extraordinary, if he shoots the gaps he can be effective in the run game but can also get taken out of the play. He does not have the size to take on blocks. Morgan Burnett was more of a factor in the run game than Thomas.

Deputy Nutz
01-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Safeties
Morgan Burnett ***: His contribution in the run game was vital when the Packers were without their two starting inside linebackers. Burnett is one of the few cornerstones of this defense and is vital to the overall success of the defense going forward. He is a solid tackler, the best on the team and he plays the slot in the dime defense. He does have to stay healthy and try to alter his routine to stay away from those nagging injuries because the Packers cannot afford to have him on the sideline.

HA-HA Clinton-Dix ***: Dix is turning his talents into skill and has developed into one of the unquestioned leaders of the defense. He played in all 19 games which shows consistency and an effort to stay healthy. He rarely comes off the field and can play deep center field or close to the line of scrimmage. He led the team in interceptions and was second to Burnett in tackles. He did his best to cover for a young secondary but as a whole they will have some issues to take care of in 2017.

Micah Hyde **: He is an intelligent football player that has played 5 years not because of his athleticism but because of the way he understands the game. He is better near the line of scrimmage and will struggle in man to man coverage or 1/3rd zone. He benefited from the dropped passes against the Giants, and although he made some big plays against Dallas, he failed to provide help in underneath coverage on two Dallas touchdown passes and left his corners hung out to dry. I see the Packers letting him walk and moving Demarious Randall into his role of a "do everything" defensive back.

Kentrell Brice **: Brice showed some promise when he saw the field due to injury. He saw most of his time as a special teams player and he has plus value as a gunner and on the kick off team. He could very easily make the roster next season as a reserve defensive back and complete for time in the dime or even nickle defense.

Marwin Evans *: Saw very little time in the secondary but was active for all 16 regular season games. He fought his way on the 53 man roster after signing a free agent deal after the draft.

Cornerbacks
Sam Shields *: Sam Shields should give up football. I don't expect the Packers will want to bring him back as they have been very cautious in the past with neck injuries and head injuries. It was unfortunate and his loss was felt in just about every game this season. He was a legitimate shut down corner in the NFL. The Packers were sort of left behind the 8 ball with his injury as they were hoping that they could slowly build their young secondary around him. Instead the young corners were thrown to the wolves where they suffered physically and mentally all season long.

Demarious Randall *: This was certainly a season that he and the rest of the Packers would like to have back. With Shields going out early in the season Randall was left as the team's number one cornerback. He suffered through a groin injury early in the season and then had to have surgery to fix the issue. He came back in week 12 and did not play with the same confidence that had as a rookie. He has a solid skill set as a cover man and a tackler and the Packers might be better suited using him similarly as to the way they used Micah Hyde.

Quinten Rollins **: Similar to Randall, Rollins struggled to stay on the field but managed to play 13 regular season games, but was lost in the playoffs after a neck and head injury. He can develop into a solid cover corner but he is still raw and it will take time and health for him to improve.

LaDarius Gunter ***: As Rollins and Randall struggled in their second years, Gunter had what some might call a break out. Originally undrafted last season Gunter demonstrated skills and talent as a cover corner. By the half way point in the season Gunter would line up across from the opposing team's best receiver. Although he may have struggled at times, he seemed to grow into the role. He will be a key contributor in taking over the role and position of Sam Shields in 2017

Josh Hawkins *: He was signed to the Practie Squad and then asked to switch from receiver to defensive back. He is a player in transition and when injuries occurred he was asked to step. He was over his head but you can feel that he has the ability to make the transition and compete next season for a roster spot in the secondary.

Defensive Line
Mike Daniels ***: Mike Daniels is a really good football player, but he unfortunately he is on the field for too many snaps per game and gets worn down by halftime. He is the product of a really shallow defensive line. His numbers are decent for a defensive lineman in a 3-4 defense, but are not eye popping. He seems to be the glue that holds the front seven together. He does a good job of fighting off blocks and making tackles, and he hustles to the ball making tackles down the field. Hopefully the Packers can continue to build the defensive line so that Daniels can play less, and become more productive late in games.

Kenny Clark **: Like most rookie defensive linemen he needs time to grow into the position. He had some flashes this season and started to do better at the point of attack, but he certainly never jumped out as a dominant player at his position. He has to come off blocks quicker and hold his responsibilities longer. I would like to see him apprentice under Daniels as I think Clark could benefit. He will start at an End spot in 2017 due to the current lack of depth on the defensive line.

Letroy Guion **: Lack of depth also depleted Guion late in games and he became a nonfactor. He record zero sacks, granted he is usually subbed for in the dime defense, but he lacks an up the field burst. Guion will be back, but I wouldn't expect much more than what he gave you this past season.

Dean Lowry *: Lowry played in 15 games this season and managed to record 2 sacks. He has good motor and will play to the whistle. He doesn't give up on plays. Unfortunately his physical tools don't match up with his attitude. I am sure he will work hard in the off season building skills and lifting weights but I don't know how much more this guy can give you. I see him as nothing more than a rotation guy, and if his pass rush improves he could be fit as a dime rusher.

Christian Ringo *: Nonfactor, he should get less than a star. He should be invited to camp, but if the Packers improve the personnel along the defensive line he will not make an active roster.

Special Teams

Mason Crosby ***: He is a fine kicker, one of the leagues best and demonstrating clutch kicking in the Dallas playoff game was the high point of the Packers' season. He will be back in 2017.

Jacob Schum **: He struggled early in the year and then seemed to turn a corner after the bye week. I think he will come to camp, but there will be competition.

Brett Goode **: you did good.

Deputy Nutz
01-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Packer Needs:
Offense:

Quarterback: The Packers only need is to bring a camp body or two to possibly compete for a third string job. I can't expect the front office to spend a draft pick on a QB.

Running Back: The packers have no depth at this position and even though Montgomery seemed to break out half way through the season the Packers have to address this position either in the draft or free agency. The Packers could roll the dice on Eddie Lacy and hope that his ankle and his gut are in shape. If the Packers do sign Lacy that doesn't resolve all the problems, He is an injury concern and with Montgomery they only have two legitimate backs. They need to consider drafting a running back with a high draft grade.

Tight End : The Packers could easily sign Cook and keep Rodgers and have no need. IF they let Cook go to free agency then the Packers will need to upgrade the position. They could look to take a tight end in the first several round of the draft. Without Cook there is definitely a need to be filled.

Wide Receiver : Currently the Packers return all 6 of the receivers on the roster. They could look to improve the depth especially if Cobb becomes a casualty of the cap. I don't expect the Packers to look towards free agency to fill a roster spot but there would be no surprises if they chose to look high in the draft for receiver.

Offensive Line: Tretter, Lang, and Barclay are all free agents. Depth would be an issue if they let all three walk. I think the Packers make a serious offer to Tretter, Barclay and even Lang. Rodgers made a request that the offensive line stays together so lets see how much power Rodgers has with Thompson when it comes to TJ Lang. Packers will lose some of these guys to free agency, and will likely not replace using free agency so that means looking late on day 2 or day 3 in the draft. Packers will have enough top end talent to make a starting lineup, but injuries always play a toll.

Defense

Defensive Line: There is a need here considering Mike Pennel was released after his second drug suspension. The Packers had a rotation of 3 guys during the playoffs. The Packer rely heavily on the nickle defense which requires only two defensive linemen, but depth is very light and Daniels cannot continue to play 75 snaps a game. Thompson continues to spend high picks on defensive linemen and only Kenny Clark seems to show promise. Datone Jones was moved to the rush end in the dime defense otherwise he rotates as an outside linebacker.

Outside Linebacker: Julius Peppers, Jones and Nick Perry are free agents, and Matthews has a ridiculous cap number for his production. The Packers on paper could lose their top 4 OLBs in 2016. I am sure that Peppers will retire, and they could keep Matthews, and Perry will be a priority for them. Personally Perry will get more than he deserves in free agency and the Packers are better off finding a different solution than over paying for Perry. The Packers have need here and they need to address it. The draft is always the first option and then to the street free agents. Yippee!!!

Inside Linebacker: The Packers continue to express little interest in finding legitimate play makers for the middle of their defense. They are content with what they have. I could see a draft pick spent on a nickle or dime linebacker or for depth but I can't see them making waves by drafting high or going the free agent route.

Cornerbacks: The Packers have 3 young corners that have all played significant downs. All three seem talented enough to play in the NFL at a high level. Without Shields the Packers lack a true number one corner. Personally, Randall would be better in the slot then out on the edge, and Hyde is free agent. It would not be silly for the Packers to look at taking a Corner in the first or second round of the draft.

Safeties: The starting jobs are a lock with Dix and Burnett. Brice demonstrated that he can play a little. The Packers could look to upgrade depth especially if Hyde his signed away from the Packers.

Specialist: Packers need to bring in some competition for Schum, and resign Goode.

RashanGary
01-23-2017, 02:21 PM
I like a lot of it! I think Randall when healthy and playing aggressively is an outside cover corner and Rollins is an inside player, but other than that, good stuff. Packers aren't bad, but the defense is. TT needs to upgrade.

red
01-23-2017, 03:01 PM
goode isn't going anywhere. the guy didn't screw up any snaps and LS always play for the vet minimum

that one to me is the easiest one to predict

Tony Oday
01-23-2017, 03:51 PM
TT needs to sign an ILB that can start in the NFL, don't care if he is a backup but a guy that can play downs when our guys get nicked up. There needs to be a minimum of 2 CBs signed, no kidding we need to sign a legit #1 CB there is not one on the roster right now, I would be hard pressed to find a #2 CB but maybe we can salvage one if we have a top flight corner signed or drafted and by drafted trade up for an elite prospect. RB needs to be addressed either in the 2nd round or in FA. Not a huge fan of a UFA RB they seems to break more than contribute.

beveaux1
01-23-2017, 04:03 PM
TT needs to sign an ILB that can start in the NFL, don't care if he is a backup but a guy that can play downs when our guys get nicked up. There needs to be a minimum of 2 CBs signed, no kidding we need to sign a legit #1 CB there is not one on the roster right now, I would be hard pressed to find a #2 CB but maybe we can salvage one if we have a top flight corner signed or drafted and by drafted trade up for an elite prospect. RB needs to be addressed either in the 2nd round or in FA. Not a huge fan of a UFA RB they seems to break more than contribute.

Unfortunately, as Red has posted, this is a poor year for free agent CBs. Getting a #1 will be a lot harder than the last time we had this problem and picked up Charles Woodson. The draft rarely gives #1 CBs in their rookie year due to the long development time. I hope one of the CBs on the present roster makes gigantic (Adams like) strides in the offseason.

beveaux1
01-23-2017, 04:06 PM
Trading up for a CB who has can't miss potential would probably cost us a #2 and a #3 or more from our 29th position in the draft. Not going to happen.

Smidgeon
01-23-2017, 04:43 PM
Tough Loss yesterday, and for all of you that believe I hold hate in my heart for your beloved Packers I have let all of that go, so see it as perspective of someone with a level head this morning and take it for what it's worth, and as always lets discuss.

Overview: More than a few of the Packer faithful are quite upset this morning based on the morning drive into work listening to good old sports talk radio. The Packers set out to win a Super Bowl in the beginning of week 1 in the NFL, and that goal was not met, but considering this team was at 4-6 at week 11 in the season and left for dead by many, making it to the NFC Championship game was no small feat. The Packers have to find some way of staying healthy during the season and having their roster healthy at the end of the season. That might mean some huge personnel decisions in the next few months. The Packer really have to make some hard decisions on key players. I don't think a whole lot of coaches will be fired, Dom Capers might decide to hang up his whistle and that's not a good thing or a bad thing, it is what it is.

Player rankings are based off of the 2016 season. 1 - 5 stars

Offensive Roster

QBs
Aaron Rodgers *****: Rodgers demonstrated once again that he is one of the great QBs of the 21st century. Rodgers cannot be replaced as a QB. I don't know what more there is to say about him. He sort of struggled during the first half of the season and then had an amazing stretch of football through the eight game winning streak. I think I could nit pick Rodgers on holding the ball too long, but I am not going to do that.

Brett Hundley **: There isn't enough film on him, even the preseason when he was hurt for the majority of it. He is athletic and has a decent arm, but there are a lot of questions whether or not he could run an offense if Rodgers would be lost due to injury.

RBs
Ty Montgomery ****: I am not sure you could ask a young player to do more in a season. He came into the season as an injury concern missing most of 2015 with a severe lower leg injury. He was the 4th receiver in camp and to start the season. He played a bit out of the backfield as package to put 5 receivers on the field. When Lacy and Starks both went down to injury Montgomery stepped into the role as an every down back and performed better than expected for the rest of the season. For the 2017 season I will be surprised if he is the every down back heading into camp. He offers a lot of flexibility but I would like to see him part of a combination package in the backfield. If the Packers head into the 2017 season with Montgomery and a bunch of street free agents in the backfield they will continue to struggle running the football.

Eddie Lacy *: :Lacy was off to his best season as a Packer. Much was made about his increase weight and in 2016 he seemed to manage it better and come into camp in better shape. A Healthy and in shape Eddie Lacy looked to carry the rushing load for the Packers especially in the first 3 games of the season. He injured in ankle in week 4 of the season and then came back against Dallas. The Ankle was tightly taped and even though Lacy was injured he broke several runs against Dallas in the first half before the ankle gave way and Lacy was lost for the entire season. The Packers need a healthy Eddie Lacy. Unfortunately Lacy comes with a lot of concerns especially going into free agency. I think his interest will be luke warm by some teams but running backs do not hold a ton of value in the NFL. The Packers could reinvest in Lacy, but that comes with a lot of hope and luck that he will be healthy and manage his waist line.

James Starks .5*: James Starks never got going in 2016. Starks is a favorite of McCarthy but his running style fell apart as he struggled through significant injuries. Coming into the season he was supposed to be the one two punch with Lacy and he never managed to solidify his position on the field due to injury.

Christine Micheal *: This guy is a super talented athlete but a pretty mediocre football player. He lacks football intelligence and field awarness. He struggled to learn the offense and show patients carrying the football. He was a liability during passing downs and had to be told just about on every play where to line up. It was a good move at the time for Thompson to pick him up but he didn't make much of his opportunity in Green Bay.

Aaron Ripkowski **: Ripkowski had a solid season in 2016 replacing fan favorite and Packer legend John Kuhn. He fielded a very similar role to Kuhn as a fill in back on short yardage and a shield for Rodgers in the backfield on passing downs. He had a very forgettable NFC Championship game, but he has some skills and talent to hold onto his roster spot and playing time in 2017.

Joe Kerrige *: I guess I would have to look at the film from the 2016 season to see if he played any offensive snaps but whatever he did was not memorable. He held a roster spot for his contributions to the special teams. He did not compete with Ripkowski for playing time in the backfield.

Wide Receivers
Jordy Nelson *****: He was the NFL Comeback Player of the Year. He led the NFL in receiving touchdowns with 14. He did start off slow but as he built confidence in his rebuilt knee he started to show the burst to find the holes in the defense and work the sideline. He is Rodgers safety blanket and when he is playing full speed he has an incredible connection with Rodgers.

Devante Adams ****: Adams took a lot of the blame for the lack of production by the offense in 2015. Some even thought that he would be passed on the depth chart by the like of Jeff Janis. Adams showed up in a big way in 2016. He was second on the team in catches, yards, and touchdowns. He has sealed his spot on the depth chart as the second receiver in GB and will look to improve on his 2016 season.

Randall Cobb **: There was a significant lack of production from Randall Cobb this season. Considering that the Packers had Nelson back which allowed Cobb to work in the slot and attack the middle of the field his 10.1 yard per catch and 4 touchdowns were hardly the production the Packers were counting on for the 2016 season from Cobb. He did come up clutch against the Giants and Cowboys when Nelson was out with injury in the playoffs and Cobb did show is value, but he is due TEN MILLION in 2017 and that is a heft sum to pay a slot receiver with his 2016 production.
Position on the 2017 roster: [B]50/50/B]

Geronimo Allen **: He was quite the find by Thompson. As an undrafted rookie whose forty time was that of tree sap in January he was able to contribute to the Packers late in the season by grabbing 12 passes in the regular season. Allen has size and good hands and he should solidify the 4th receiver spot heading into camp. Allen is better than Janis and Trevor Davis but his late season contributions could just be the product of the offense and Aaron Rodgers. For the Packers to be completely sold on him might be a mistake and if a receiver is available in the draft it would be silly to pass him up based on the small glimpse they have seen on Allen.

Trevor Davis *: He played a bit against the Falcons in the regular season and in the playoffs. He simply wasn't ready yet to contribute in 2016 and kept his roster spot due to his 5th round selection in the 2016 draft. I would not say that his roster spot is guaranteed by any means in 2017.

Jeff Janis *: Janis broke a finger early in camp and missed some valuable reps in practice. He secured his spot on the roster because of his play on special teams. He provided next to nothing as a wide receiver, and will have to fight for a roster spot due to his inconsistencies in route running and securing the knowledge of the offense.

*patience

Smidgeon
01-23-2017, 04:44 PM
Kidding aside, I love the write up.

Thank you for the insight.

red
01-23-2017, 04:47 PM
Trading up for a CB who has can't miss potential would probably cost us a #2 and a #3 or more from our 29th position in the draft. Not going to happen.

maybe more, those big time fresh out of college stud CBs usually go in the top 10

and we could always keep our fingers crossed for a cap casualty

red
01-23-2017, 05:01 PM
A.J. Bouye is the top CB on the market, he was very highly graded by PFF. (90.9)

malcom butler is a restricted free agent (90.8)

Terence Newman is #3 but is 137 years old (86.4)

#4 is Morris Claiborne (84.9)

#5 is Darius Butler (82.6)

#6 is Logan Ryan (81.9)

#7 Trumaine Johnson (81.0)

and that ranking is from PFF

for reference, pff has a rating of 73.3 for hyde on the year. lang is an 85.7

so there are some improvements

red
01-23-2017, 05:09 PM
you know who would be a nice free agent pickup for our d-line?

Calais Campbell

vince
01-24-2017, 05:35 AM
A.J. Bouye is the top CB on the market, he was very highly graded by PFF. (90.9)

malcom butler is a restricted free agent (90.8)

Terence Newman is #3 but is 137 years old (86.4)

#4 is Morris Claiborne (84.9)

#5 is Darius Butler (82.6)

#6 is Logan Ryan (81.9)

#7 Trumaine Johnson (81.0)

and that ranking is from PFF

for reference, pff has a rating of 73.3 for hyde on the year. lang is an 85.7

so there are some improvements
That list is missing Stephon Gilmore who in my opinion is right there with Bouye but has superior natural ability and is more physical.

Both are strong press-man corners, Gilmore is 26 and Bouye 25 so both figure to be right in the wheelhouse of their prime years. Gilmore posted a strong 4.40 40 at the combine vs. Bouye's 4.55 pro-day and Gilmore had a stellar 6.6 3-cone vs. Bouye's 7.06.

Thanks for that write-up Nutz. Good stuff. I think you're underrating Cobb, Cook, and just about the entire o-line, and overrating the young corners and safeties to some extent, but again thanks for that really thorough assessment. There's a lot to comment on there.

Joemailman
01-24-2017, 06:57 AM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

The Packers re-signed seven members of their practice squad to reserve/futures deals: C Jacob Flores, OLB Reggie Gilbert, WR Antwan Goodley, LB Derrick Mathews, G Lucas Patrick, DT Brian Price and S Jermaine Whitehead. They did not immediately re-sign TE Beau Sandland or CB Bene Benwikere. The 10th member of the practice squad, WR Max McCaffrey, was promoted to the 53-man roster on Saturday.

vince
01-24-2017, 07:33 AM
Rob Demovsky
ESPN Staff Writer

The Packers re-signed seven members of their practice squad to reserve/futures deals: C Jacob Flores, OLB Reggie Gilbert, WR Antwan Goodley, LB Derrick Mathews, G Lucas Patrick, DT Brian Price and S Jermaine Whitehead. They did not immediately re-sign TE Beau Sandland or CB Bene Benwikere. The 10th member of the practice squad, WR Max McCaffrey, was promoted to the 53-man roster on Saturday.
Gilbert and Patrick had promising camps as I recall and Price would seem to have a good shot at making the roster next year with a productive offseason.

Cheesehead Craig
01-24-2017, 07:59 AM
That list is missing Stephon Gilmore who in my opinion is right there with Bouye but has superior natural ability and is more physical.

Both are strong press-man corners, Gilmore is 26 and Bouye 25 so both figure to be right in the wheelhouse of their prime years. Gilmore posted a strong 4.40 40 at the combine vs. Bouye's 4.55 pro-day and Gilmore had a stellar 6.6 3-cone vs. Bouye's 7.06.

Thanks for that write-up Nutz. Good stuff. I think you're underrating Cobb, Cook, and just about the entire o-line, and overrating the young corners and safeties to some extent, but again thanks for that really thorough assessment. There's a lot to comment on there.

The top 2 guys are going to cost 10-12M/yr. That's a lot of $$. I'd be happy with 2 guys who are 6m/yr and won't mess up their coverage.

vince
01-24-2017, 08:22 AM
The top 2 guys are going to cost 10-12M/yr. That's a lot of $$. I'd be happy with 2 guys who are 6m/yr and won't mess up their coverage.
I'd be for swapping out Shields' salary for one of those guys. It's a huge need. Then hit on a corner early in the draft and the position could be a big strength.

With the depth of the draft at the position and the depth of promising but thoroughly unproven guys already in place, I don't see a spot for a mid-tier FA. And when you look at the list of available corners, I'm not seeing many who fit that bill that aren't already on the downside, though I freely admit I'm no expert on them.

EDIT: Prince Amukamara maybe. A lot of these guys hitting the market lack top-end speed and/or agility, which I'd be concerned about. Perhaps the depth in the draft will push some of the free agent demand down a bit.

SkinBasket
01-24-2017, 09:00 AM

Why is it his job to show other people, much less those undergoing medical treatment, how to carry a football?

SkinBasket
01-24-2017, 09:11 AM
Also his name is Geronimo Allison, not Allen, you twat.

hoosier
01-24-2017, 10:15 AM
Why is it his job to show other people, much less those undergoing medical treatment, how to carry a football?

You're misreading as usual, it's show patients carrying the football: those people undergoing medical treatment are already toting the rock, you numbskull.

Teamcheez1
01-24-2017, 10:17 AM
In regards to Matthews:

There are two years left on his contract.
His 2017 salary will be $15.2M (with $4.1M in dead cap).
His 2018 salary will be $11.4M with no dead cap money.

He will be 31 this next season. I saw on ESPN, that Matthews is one of the 4 highest paid LB's in the NFL (this came up on the Jamie Collins LB Browns, who just signed a new contract).

I think the Packers should let it ride for 2017, but all bets are off for 2018 depending on his performance (and health) this next season.

texaspackerbacker
01-24-2017, 11:03 AM
In regards to Matthews:

There are two years left on his contract.
His 2017 salary will be $15.2M (with $4.1M in dead cap).
His 2018 salary will be $11.4M with no dead cap money.

He will be 31 this next season. I saw on ESPN, that Matthews is one of the 4 highest paid LB's in the NFL (this came up on the Jamie Collins LB Browns, who just signed a new contract).

I think the Packers should let it ride for 2017, but all bets are off for 2018 depending on his performance (and health) this next season.

I agree. He had his moments this season and is still a dominating player if he can just stay reasonably healthy. The cap keeps going up, and given Ted's cheapness, we aren't and probably won't even come close to the upper limit. Arguably, he's the second best player on the team - still - and the only real star quality one other than Aaron Rodgers.

texaspackerbacker
01-24-2017, 11:09 AM
I'd be for swapping out Shields' salary for one of those guys. It's a huge need. Then hit on a corner early in the draft and the position could be a big strength.

With the depth of the draft at the position and the depth of promising but thoroughly unproven guys already in place, I don't see a spot for a mid-tier FA. And when you look at the list of available corners, I'm not seeing many who fit that bill that aren't already on the downside, though I freely admit I'm no expert on them.

EDIT: Prince Amukamara maybe. A lot of these guys hitting the market lack top-end speed and/or agility, which I'd be concerned about. Perhaps the depth in the draft will push some of the free agent demand down a bit.

Absolutely we should go after one of these proven cover corners. High draft picks at that position - especially for the Packers but a lot of other teams also - don't seem to correlate with getting star quality players.

Deputy Nutz
01-24-2017, 11:17 AM
I agree. He had his moments this season and is still a dominating player if he can just stay reasonably healthy. The cap keeps going up, and given Ted's cheapness, we aren't and probably won't even come close to the upper limit. Arguably, he's the second best player on the team - still - and the only real star quality one other than Aaron Rodgers.

He averaged 2 tackles a game and 5 sacks. If he is the second best player on the Packers roster they are in more trouble than I thought. He cannot stay reasonably healthy he has proved that throughout his career. Watch the film and stop dreaming about his hair.

Deputy Nutz
01-24-2017, 11:18 AM
Also his name is Geronimo Allison, not Allen, you twat.

Next time I should send it to you for editing, my mistake.

Rutnstrut
01-24-2017, 11:21 AM
He averaged 2 tackles a game and 5 sacks. If he is the second best player on the Packers roster they are in more trouble than I thought. He cannot stay reasonably healthy he has proved that throughout his career. Watch the film and stop dreaming about his hair.

Yup, over rated very overpaid diva.

texaspackerbacker
01-24-2017, 11:29 AM
Regarding the original posts (thanks Nutz for posting them), I'd certainly keep Christine Michael. He should be fairly cheap, and we can use a one cut speed back as an alternative to Montgomery. As for his being dumb as a rock, I kinda doubt that's true. Hopefully with camp and the preseason to learn, he can seem less that way. I also have a very high opinion of Ripkowski despite the blunder last Sunday. I'd take either him or Michael over Lacy even if the cost were the same, which it wouldn't be IMO.

I'd give Cook more than two stars. He, too, should be a lot better with a full camp and preseason to get used to things. You thought T.J. Lang's play "dipped" this season? I thought he was one step above crap prior to this season, and he rose to fairly decent this year. I'd keep him if it doesn't take breaking the bank - which it shouldn't. I think they are gonna keep Cobb too. He's an excellent slot receiver when he's healthy, and I suspect Rodgers lobbies to keep him. I wouldn't be surprised if we keep all of the wideouts we have this season. Only Trevor Davis seems to be as low as 50/50. I STILL think Janis is gonna break out and be a star in this league - hopefully for the Packers.

I pretty much agree with all you posted on Defense - except maybe Randall being solid, and given Ted's tendency to favor his draft picks, I suppose he will stay. Gunter is way better than him or Rollins. I also have hope for Hawkins. A quality free agent Corner would do wonders for this team - moving everybody else down one spot. I don't suppose it would ever happen, but I'd like to see Janis get a try at Corner - if they're just gonna let him go to waste on offense anyway.

texaspackerbacker
01-24-2017, 11:35 AM

I attribute that to the injuries. He made several major game changing plays even in his diminished condition; He plays better ILB than anybody else who played there; If (and I agree it's a big "if") he can stay healthy, he's still damn good. Who else on the team rises far enough above mediocrity to be a star player - other than Rodgers, of course?

And I absolutely HATE faggy long hair on guys - I'll overlook it on him if he gets back to playing good enough.

Upnorth
01-24-2017, 11:38 AM

I don't even think he is second best on defence. Give be Perry and Burnett over him as an OLB. If he got transition inside to mlb, perhaps he is second best on d.

ThunderDan
01-24-2017, 12:19 PM
Regarding the original posts (thanks Nutz for posting them), I'd certainly keep Christine Michael. He should be fairly cheap, and we can use a one cut speed back as an alternative to Montgomery.

When did Michael ever as a Packer only do one cut and hit the hole? Seriously when?

The guy makes 3 cuts minimum on the same play every time.

woodbuck27
01-24-2017, 03:04 PM
This article and the video contained within it pretty well covers it all:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/after-nfc-title-game-blowout-its-clear-packers-need-to-get-aaron-rodgers-more-help-233405966.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

Comment woodbuck27:

I would like to see TT be more aggressive this off season to improve the Packer Defence and to ensure a better running game.

1) We need to see a change in philosophy and Free Agency and Ted Thompson's attitude to focus on Draft and Development.

2) We need to see a huge improvement in Pass Protection. This Packer team was deplorable trying to defend the pass and finishing (was it?) 31st in the NFL in that category.

Will Ted Thompson and the Packer Coaching staff really believe that the weakness at The CB position will magically be fixed with more experience? The Packers flat out need more talented CB's and to count on the likes of a LaDarius Gunter isn't acceptable.

3) The Packers need to find a better pass rush.

No team can rise to be a serious Super Bowl Contender without a solid Secondary and a good pass rush. The Green Bay Packers are sadly deficient in both of these defensive areas.

4) We need help for Aaron Rodgers and the offence in terms of a focus on improving the Running Game. Will we hear at the end of next season: Well we hoped that Eddie Lacy would produce? Packer GM Ted Thompson cannot ignore what he doesn't have in the running game. The team needs better depth at RB.

5) I thought I read that there would be more CAP money next season but we need to see Ted Thompson release anyone on the Roster that isn't producing. The " hoo hum, let's wait and see " attitude has to change. It is time to stop thinking and do ...more doing. For all that won't kill you Ted...GO FOR IT !

6) I want to see a focus on upgrade - upgrade - upgrade.

KYPack
01-24-2017, 03:07 PM
Nutz, great post my brotha.

Ya put some great work in that baby.

Oh yeah, you and Skin, get fucked in a very friendly fashion.

All these posts point up some TOUGH off-season decisions.

Pep, Mathews, buy an FA corner (we all know what the answer will be there) TJ, Bulaga (ain't he FA too?), DLine, Lacy, etc.

I'd hate to be in the big chair on any of these tough calls, let alone the whole gamut of this.

Look forward to getting into arguments over the whole thing, Nutz.

Rutnstrut
01-24-2017, 06:51 PM
The problem is even IF tight pockets Teddy would sign a FA corner. There just isn't much available this year.

SavedByGrace
01-25-2017, 11:20 AM
The problem is even IF tight pockets Teddy would sign a FA corner. There just isn't much available this year.

The great news is this draft is very deep with quality CBs.

Rutnstrut
01-25-2017, 04:53 PM
The great news is this draft is very deep with quality CBs.

The biggest problem with that is they take a few years to develop. Then in GB another few years to finally have a healthy season. By that time Rodgers will be retired and coming out of the closet;)

Joemailman
01-25-2017, 05:17 PM
The biggest problem with that is they take a few years to develop. Then in GB another few years to finally have a healthy season. By that time Rodgers will be retired and coming out of the closet;)

Not always. Shields and Hayward were quite good as rookies. Randall and Rollins were probably more in the line of developmental picks. Randall because he was making a switch from Safety to Corner. Rollins because he only played 1 year of college football.

Deputy Nutz
01-27-2017, 11:45 AM
There are free agents available at a young age, or older guys like Leon Hall available.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cornerback/
this a list of available free agents across the league

Deputy Nutz
01-27-2017, 11:49 AM
Desmond King from Iowa is probably the most NFL ready. He would be available in the late 1st round. He isn't the most dynamic athlete but he is proven, and a ball hawk in college.

Deputy Nutz
02-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Free agent wish list

Lawrence Timmons ILB from Pittsburgh
He is 30 years old but I imagine he has 2/3 good years left

Calias Campell DE from Arizona
30 years old could be an upgrade in the pass rush

Glenn Dorsey DT from San Fran
31 years old, could offer another body in run defense, and he will be relatively cheap

Trumain Johnson CB from the Rams
27 years old, big cornerback that will cost between 10 and 13 million a season

Stephon Gilmore from Buffalo
26 years old ball hawking cornerback. He is over 6 feet tall and he will not be hit with the franchise tag. He will cost about the same as Johnson

Jermaine Gresham TE from Arizona

Martellus Bennett TE from the Pats
Good blocker and receiver, he would be an upgrade over Rodgers, and even a better option than Cooks.

Chris Baker DE from Washington
6-2 320 pounds 29 years old, would beef up the middle of the packers defense. He has the size and ability to play either position on the defensive line. He would be a mid to high priced free agent some where between 5 to 8 million a year.

Jabaal Sheard DE from Pats
Smaller frame at only 265 pounds, played about half the snaps on defense for the Patriots. He is probably going to command 8 million on the free agent market which might be more than what the Packers are looking to pay for part time player.

The more I look at the available free agents the Packers need to keep Nick Perry, and if the price is right 1-3 million resign Julius Peppers. I still say the Packers are better off cutting or restructuring Clay Matthews and spending his money else where, but he still has that burst off the line that everyone was so enamored with Atlanta's defense.

pbmax
02-08-2017, 10:26 AM
So is this the official Packers 2017 FA thread?

Cause here is an update on contract demands:

Jason_OTC @Jason_OTC
With all the cap space this year I think it will be more difficult than usual to get players to agree to paycuts without trying free agency

Deputy Nutz
02-08-2017, 11:42 AM
I am sure Matthews could get his asking price, but it won't before a contending team if the Packers were to cut him. If the Packers choose to keep him he still could contribute but his role should be significantly reduced. I feel like longer he is on the field the better teams do against him in the passing game. He is horrible in coverage and he is turning into a one trick pony rushing the passer. If he gets a good jump he has a change to bump into the QB, if he gets stalled on the snap he is toast and he gets run out of the pocket. Playing him less might also help his health.

Deputy Nutz
02-08-2017, 11:43 AM
TJ Lang is probably history with the Packers. His asking price will get met by another team before the Packers agree to terms with him. I think he is replaceable but not with anyone that is currently under contract with the Packers.

pbmax
02-08-2017, 02:44 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 59m59 minutes ago
More veteran casualties related to salary cap charges: #Eagles are releasing CB Leodis McKelvin, source said.

pbmax
02-08-2017, 05:03 PM
Anyone who has access to PFF want to post the rankings of potential FA CBs?

red
02-08-2017, 05:14 PM
I don't have pff but wasn't mckelvin mostly a return guy?

I don't think he ever made it as a cb

Nvm, sounds like he was an ok cb

texaspackerbacker
02-08-2017, 07:38 PM
Free agent wish list

Lawrence Timmons ILB from Pittsburgh
He is 30 years old but I imagine he has 2/3 good years left

Calias Campell DE from Arizona
30 years old could be an upgrade in the pass rush

Glenn Dorsey DT from San Fran
31 years old, could offer another body in run defense, and he will be relatively cheap

Trumain Johnson CB from the Rams
27 years old, big cornerback that will cost between 10 and 13 million a season

Stephon Gilmore from Buffalo
26 years old ball hawking cornerback. He is over 6 feet tall and he will not be hit with the franchise tag. He will cost about the same as Johnson

Jermaine Gresham TE from Arizona

Martellus Bennett TE from the Pats
Good blocker and receiver, he would be an upgrade over Rodgers, and even a better option than Cooks.

Chris Baker DE from Washington
6-2 320 pounds 29 years old, would beef up the middle of the packers defense. He has the size and ability to play either position on the defensive line. He would be a mid to high priced free agent some where between 5 to 8 million a year.

Jabaal Sheard DE from Pats
Smaller frame at only 265 pounds, played about half the snaps on defense for the Patriots. He is probably going to command 8 million on the free agent market which might be more than what the Packers are looking to pay for part time player.

The more I look at the available free agents the Packers need to keep Nick Perry, and if the price is right 1-3 million resign Julius Peppers. I still say the Packers are better off cutting or restructuring Clay Matthews and spending his money else where, but he still has that burst off the line that everyone was so enamored with Atlanta's defense.

Gilmore would seem to be the best one to target. Timmons at a reasonable price would be good too, unless they think Ryan and/or Martinez can improve a lot - which I'm not real optimistic about. Campbell is a good player, but I don't think he plays 3-4 DE and might not be suited to do so.

I disagree that either of those TEs would be better than Cook, and not even that much better than Rodgers, considering that they would probably get a lot more money. R. Rodgers is under-appreciated IMO.

I would not cut Clay Matthews, although maybe a slight restructuring might be in order. Bottom line is, he should come back healthy and still be near the top of his game. I'd keep Perry but not break the bank to do so. And yeah, I also would like to see Peppers for another year or so.

King Friday
02-08-2017, 11:25 PM
If Peppers is willing to come back for the vet min...fine. Otherwise, forget it. He's strictly a situational guy at this point...but he could provide depth in a pinch for a limited time. He may be willing to consider it for a last shot at a ring.

Can't cut Clay...his crazy ass play against the Giants is evidence of that. However, he may need to restructure and he also needs to understand his days as an every down OLB may be over.

I don't think Ted signs anyone the first 2-3 days of free agency. I just hope he gets into the fray before July.

pbmax
02-09-2017, 08:00 AM
There is a ton of money floating around. The Packers have $40+ mil in cap space and are 13th at that number. There will be some huge and dumb deals early.

woodbuck27
02-09-2017, 08:46 AM
I am sure Matthews could get his asking price, but it won't before a contending team if the Packers were to cut him. If the Packers choose to keep him he still could contribute but his role should be significantly reduced. I feel like longer he is on the field the better teams do against him in the passing game. He is horrible in coverage and he is turning into a one trick pony rushing the passer. If he gets a good jump he has a change to bump into the QB, if he gets stalled on the snap he is toast and he gets run out of the pocket. Playing him less might also help his health.

Clay Matthews is the new KGB.

He is grossly overpaid.

woodbuck27
02-09-2017, 09:21 AM
RE: T.J. Lang...Does this seem about right?

Prediction: Four years, $32 million ($15 million guaranteed)

Green Bay's front office almost always takes care of its own.

With T.J. Lang (29 Years old), there's not much choice. Aaron Rodgers can't go into the 2017 season without at least one of his former two star guards with Josh Sitton gone. That bodes well for a Lang return.

vince
02-09-2017, 09:40 AM
Gilmore would seem to be the best one to target. Timmons at a reasonable price would be good too, unless they think Ryan and/or Martinez can improve a lot - which I'm not real optimistic about. Campbell is a good player, but I don't think he plays 3-4 DE and might not be suited to do so.

I disagree that either of those TEs would be better than Cook, and not even that much better than Rodgers, considering that they would probably get a lot more money. R. Rodgers is under-appreciated IMO.

I would not cut Clay Matthews, although maybe a slight restructuring might be in order. Bottom line is, he should come back healthy and still be near the top of his game. I'd keep Perry but not break the bank to do so. And yeah, I also would like to see Peppers for another year or so.
I agree that Gilmore has the physical press-man skills that best fit what the Packers need. Johnson is a top-shelf cover corner which the Packers desperately need but doesn't have the physicality you'd hope to also get.

Gilmore, Bouye, Claiborne, Johnson, Kirkpatrick, then the rest IMO - for what the Packers need.

Campbell is a prototypical 3-4 DE. It's what he plays in Arizona and he's played it well. At 30 he'd be a good value pick up if underpriced but that seems unlikely.

I think Ryan and Martinez are good, smart young players that figure to develop into what you're looking for inside. Their deficiencies were mostly due to inexperience in playing the run too aggressively at times. They'll learn.

I agree with the rest. Perry is going to command a lot but he's worth up to $10 mil/yr. I think. When he's available, he's a much-needed physical presence against both the run and pass. Neither Elliott nor Fackrell are physically ready for three-down duty.

vince
02-09-2017, 09:50 AM
RE: T.J. Lang...Does this seem about right?

Prediction: Four years, $32 million ($15 million guaranteed)

Green Bay's front office almost always takes care of its own.

With T.J. Lang (29 Years old), there's not much choice. Aaron Rodgers can't go into the 2017 season without at least one of his former two star guards with Josh Sitton gone. That bodes well for a Lang return.
I wouldn't mind seeing Lang re-signed but no way at that deal. 4 years is too long and $15 mil is too much risk. If in two years he's fully broken down that's $8-10 mil dead cap to eat. The Packers aren't going to structure that one.

Halve that deal in every way and that's more realistic. Or if there's a 3rd year it's not costly to get out from under.

Lang is a hell of a player. Tough, experienced, everything you want in the trenches - except old and beat up.

3irty1
02-09-2017, 10:16 AM
I'd like to retain Lang, although going really nuts in FA would probably mean he walks. His age doesn't bother me one bit. Lang is a real tone-setter and a tough SOB.

It'd suck to see Perry get away. If this defense is to improve, I think he's part of that solution.

Peppers should come cheap and he's still useful.

I'd bring Lacy back if his health and salary warrant the risk.

With this minus the cap needed to sign draft picks I'm not sure what's left. Gilmore makes sense to me. Shields made what? 12M? Gilmore should be in that ballpark although he's not been quiet about his paycheck. For Gilmore alone $12-$14M is honestly pretty terrible value but I think it could be justified on the grounds that he's in the mold of Randall. For years we've had an embarrassment of riches at CB by the standards of this league. Without Shields, we find ourselves for the first time in forever without any real bell cow in the room. Even with a replacement for Shields, we're still pretty much SOL if our other guys don't make a jump as pros. This is especially true for Randall but it wouldn't hurt for him to hang around a guy like Gilmore.

pbmax
02-09-2017, 10:40 AM
Lang at $8 mil per year is the 3rd highest paid Guard. Not sure coming off foot injury he is going to qualify for that on 3rd contract. He'll be luck to get in Top 10 ($4mil per).

Deputy Nutz
02-09-2017, 10:42 AM
I heard rumors that Lacy is up to 270 pounds and he is constantly tweeting about food. Not good for him if rumors are true. Also heard unsubstantiated rumor that he has an alcohol problem but I haven't heard anything press related to that. Packers should walk away from the potential disaster relying on Lacy for another season. The Draft will offer some good value in the mid rounds.

If the Packers skip free agency, especially in the secondary then apparently they believe Randall and Rollins can bounce back in their third year. That doesn't give a whole lot of confidence that the Packers are going to approach the off season any differently than years past, which is a mistake. Rodgers is not satisfied with this roster and I guarantee he will start making more noise about it in the future.

Compare Peppers to aging veterans like Dwight Freeney who made 1 million to be a part time pass rusher. I would pay Peppers a million just to fill depth on the roster and give you a little pass rush.

I think all Packer fans want Lang resigned, he is a team player and a leader in the locker room. Also there is no replacement on the roster at this time and the Packers have needs to address in the draft outside of looking draft a starting offensive guard. Lang is banged up which might cut into his pocketbook. He wants to stay a Packer but who knows about discounts.

Paying Clay Matthews 15 million to be a part time player is against good common sense.

pbmax
02-09-2017, 11:01 AM
Lang at $8 mil per year is the 3rd highest paid Guard. Not sure coming off foot injury he is going to qualify for that on 3rd contract. He'll be luck to get in Top 10 ($4mil per).

That number if for right Guards only. Top 8 are $6 mil per year and above. I don't think Lang cracks that. But with more cap room, there will be inflation.

3irty1
02-09-2017, 11:52 AM
With saving money for draft picks, you've probably got around 38M in cap.

Rough estimates for our guys:

Perry: 8.5M
Lang: 6.5M
Tretter: 6M
Peppers: 2.5M
Hyde: 2.5M
Cook: 4M
Datone: 4M
Lacy: 3.5M

Say I sign Perry, Lang or Tretter but not both, Peppers, Hyde, and Cook. I'll have about 14-15M left to go shopping assuming I roll nothing and make no mid season extensions.

It'd sure be nice if Rodgers would marry an international supermodel who makes more than he does so he can play for 10M less than market value.

Rutnstrut
02-09-2017, 12:56 PM

Say I sign Perry, Lang or Tretter but not both, Peppers, Hyde, and Cook. I'll have about 14-15M left to go shopping assuming I roll nothing and make no mid season extensions.

It'd sure be nice if Rodgers would marry an international supermodel who makes more than he does so he can play for 10M less than market value.

Rodgers could anyway, it's not like he'd be in the line at the soup kitchen.

texaspackerbacker
02-09-2017, 01:51 PM
Those numbers seem high for Tretter and maybe for Lang. It might be low for Cook and maybe Hyde. I'd sign probably both Lang and Tretter, Cook for sure, Hyde probably, Perry reluctantly for that big an amount, and Peppers if he chooses to come back - not Datone, not Lacy.

What everybody seems to be forgetting is that capology results in the amount against the cap being less - often significantly less in early years - than the average salary per year of the contract. I figure about $27 million average salary per year for the guys I said I'd sign, but maybe about $20-22 million against the cap. The same is true, maybe more so, for signing guys like Gilmore, Timmons, Campbell, etc.

As for Aaron Rodgers, I'm pretty sure Olivia Munn makes as much or more than Giselle Whatever. More to the point, though, his contract could be restructured without any decrease, probably a total increase over time, and still reduce his cap number maybe $5-10.

So the money should be available. Come on, Ted, cough up what is needed to maximize this team.

Deputy Nutz
02-09-2017, 02:15 PM
Gisele Bundchen net worth is 345 million dollars.

Munn's net worth is between 5 million-12 million

vince
02-09-2017, 02:23 PM

Priorities IMO should be Cook ($5 mil.), Perry ($9 mil.) and CB ($12 mil.). Then Lang ($6 mil.), Hyde ($3 mil.), Datone/Peppers ($3 mil.).

Also should be quality CB, OLB, RB available in the draft.

That would be a reload IMO.

pbmax
02-09-2017, 04:32 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2017/02/08/dougherty-packers-must-capitalize-cap-space/97646384/

Dougherty's guesses: $43 million available

Nick Perry ($8 million)
T.J. Lang ($5 million)
Jared Cook ($5 million)
Micah Hyde ($3 million)
Eddie Lacy ($3 million)
Exclusive- + restricted- free agents ($4 million)
Rookie class ($5.75 million)

TOTAL: $33.75 million (Dougherty rounds up to $35mil)

So that's $9.25 mil of space if you retain each. You are going to lose one or two and have some cap massaging. I would not pay Lacy $3 million per. He is also letting Peppers, Tretter and Jones walk.

If you believe Bobs season ending numbers, letting Jones walk might not be in the cards. He had third most pressures on team. More true if Peppers is not coming back. Given his snaps, he would need to come in cheaper than 3irty1's number.

red
02-09-2017, 04:50 PM
i'm guessing lang might be gone

we just replaced one old school guard and didn't miss much of a beat if any, then you got tretter and linsley. one of those guys is gonna be the starting center and the other the starting guard

both those guys are much younger and probably much cheaper

red
02-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Can't cut Clay...his crazy ass play against the Giants is evidence of that. However, he may need to restructure and he also needs to understand his days as an every down OLB may be over.

besides that cray awesome play, he didn't do squat in a few games before that, and nothing after that, before he made that play i had forgotten he was on the team

cue the injury brigade

and to answer, HE"S ALWAYS INJURED, thats who he is

at this point he isn't even worth half of his cap number, he might not even be worth a quarter of his cap number

he's the type of player that will make one big play every few games and everyone will go nuts about how great he is. and is he even taking on double teams anymore?

red
02-09-2017, 05:03 PM
and i'd make cook a priority

he's exactly the TE we've been looking for and the offense looked much better when he was involved in it

perry for me would be the other priority, but can he stay healthy? this was his first year not being broke, can he keep that up? or was the healthy year just a fluke? tough call

Rutnstrut
02-09-2017, 08:29 PM
besides that cray awesome play, he didn't do squat in a few games before that, and nothing after that, before he made that play i had forgotten he was on the team

cue the injury brigade

at this point he isn't even worth half of his cap number, he might not even be worth a quarter of his cap number

he's the type of player that will make one big play every few games and everyone will go nuts about how great he is. and is he even taking on double teams anymore?

EXACTLY!!! But this is the crowd that thought Brad Jones was a good player.

King Friday
02-09-2017, 08:37 PM
Can't see us bringing back Lacy for $3M...he'll get a bigger deal from somewhere else, and he probably has little interest coming back to Green Bay.

King Friday
02-09-2017, 08:41 PM

cue the injury brigade

He's always injured when he plays OLB. He was not injured as much when he played at ILB...which is why the Packers have to move him there on early downs more often going forward. His days as a constant outside pass rusher are over, although he can still do that situationally.

pbmax
02-10-2017, 06:59 AM
Matthews hurt his shoulder in Week 12 (Game 11) and wasn't the same after it. That is almost 1/3 of the season (5.75 games), yet somehow he produced these numbers on a team that didn't quite pressure the passer enough:

Nick Perry led the team in the vital category of pressures with 36. Rounding out the top five were Julius Peppers, 32½; Mike Daniels and Datone Jones, 31½, and Clay Matthews, 28½.

He's been a consummate professional, has been a impact player, played hurt and still affected games. He is coming back for one more year at his current number at least, to see him healthy at least. He might only be good at this point, but he is coming back.

beveaux1
02-10-2017, 08:28 AM
I agree with PB. Matthews is the only pass rusher under contract for next year unless you count Fackrell and Elliott. They will not ask him to renegotiate, nor should they. After attempting to re-sign our own to extensions, we will have less than 10 million to spend on free agency. This means we will actually have about 5 million to spend since we will keep at least 5 in reserve.

I don't believe we can get a #1 CB for that money. I believe we're looking at a veteran mid-tier that can provide some stability at the position. Not a perfect solution, but it is what it is.

On another note, I've been chuckling at the figures that are being posted for re-signing our own free agents. If anyone thinks Peppers or Lang are going to sign at 60% or less of what their present contract is worth, that isn't a hometown discount, that's delusional. In a year when the salary cap is increasing by a large amount, veterans are expecting to be paid. My expectation is that we will sign fewer of our own free agents at higher prices, still leaving around 10 million after putting aside draft class money.

The draft will still be the place that holes will have to be filled. The reality is that highly successful teams have veteran players that expect to be paid. Young players don't have that expectation. Therefore, holes have to be filled with young players...especially on a successful team.

Teamcheez1
02-10-2017, 08:56 AM
Clay is due $15M ($4M is dead cap) for 2017.
He is due $11.4M (with no dead cap space) in 2018.

I believe the Packers will leave his contract alone and see what he produces in 2017 (health and stat wise). He will be 31 going into next season. A good season this next year, and the $11M hit in 2018 doesn't look unreasonable. If things don't pan out, they lose nothing if they decide to move on in 2018.

Deputy Nutz
02-10-2017, 08:56 AM
Matthews hurt his shoulder in Week 12 (Game 11) and wasn't the same after it. That is almost 1/3 of the season (5.75 games), yet somehow he produced these numbers on a team that didn't quite pressure the passer enough:

He's been a consummate professional, has been a impact player, played hurt and still affected games. He is coming back for one more year at his current number at least, to see him healthy at least. He might only be good at this point, but he is coming back.

Before his shoulder he missed two games with a hamstring. He misses far too many tackles, and can't make plays in coverage. Even when healthy he struggles to show up in crunch time. Perfect example is the NFC Championship game against Seattle. How much are you willing to pay Matthews per sack? 2016 you payed him roughly 3 million per sack. When he played an entire season in the inside he still only managed 66 tackles. He is more hype than production. I agree he is coming back but if the Packers did cut him they would have plenty of money to sign a starting caliber defensive back and sign Nick Perry.

The prediction for Perry is around 8 million per year. Some fans are complaining that price is too high. Compared to Matthews salary of 13.5 million over the next two years to 8 million and the production difference between the two and Perry is the more valuable player at this point.

I think the fact that Perry recorded 11 sacks which were just above his combined total the previous 3 seasons scares some fans that he is a one year wonder. Perry's play seemed to turn a corner during the 2015 playoffs where he had 3.5 sacks and a forced fumble. His 2016 season seemed a carry over from the previous playoff experience up until he broke his hand. Just like with Matthews I don't know if the Packers can head into 2017 without Perry's experience especially having Jones and Peppers entering free agency as well and no viable options on the roster. Perry is one of the better edge rushers in free agency and compare his asking price to Chandler Jones's he is probably the better value signing.

3irty1
02-10-2017, 10:22 AM
My thinking on Lang is that he's kind of a binary situation. By the time he would sign you'd more or less know what you're getting. Thus 6.5M or none at all.

6M seems high for Tretter given his contribution but these guys don't work on commission. He'll be viewed as a 25 year old premium center on the market.

Datone just position changed which is somewhat exculpatory. He's a premium need that all 32 teams are in play for and is still flashes routinely. Someone gave Erik Walden 4M all those years ago (WHO HAD 11 SACKS THIS YEAR BTW). Datone should get that.

Cook I put at 4M because not that much has really changed since last year. Everyone knew what an athlete he was. Everyone knew he underperformed on garbage teams. I think he met expectations but its not like he put on a show. On what team besides the Packers is he hot shit? Plus I don't think he wants to leave.

3irty1
02-10-2017, 10:28 AM
I think you just leave Clay's contract alone and ride the tiger. This is one of those situations where you best option really is just depend on his recovery. Him contributing like a probowler again is one of the most likely ways our defense could flourish.

Deputy Nutz
02-10-2017, 11:47 AM
I don't really think the Packers have a choice in 2017 with Clay's contract, but realize it is a situation where you are going on tilt with hoping that he will get healthy and return to double digit sack numbers.

If Thompson actually goes after free agents to repair this defense then I would say the cutting Matthews is a worth it, but if he is just doing it as a cost measure and continues plug holes only through the draft then the Packers should keep paying Matthews.

3irty1
02-10-2017, 01:36 PM
I don't really think the Packers have a choice in 2017 with Clay's contract, but realize it is a situation where you are going on tilt with hoping that he will get healthy and return to double digit sack numbers.

If Thompson actually goes after free agents to repair this defense then I would say the cutting Matthews is a worth it, but if he is just doing it as a cost measure and continues plug holes only through the draft then the Packers should keep paying Matthews.

That's really a judgement about the quality of the FA you could get vs the likelyhood Matthews makes an elite contribution. With dead cap you stand to gain 11M or so by cutting him? If its worth cutting him its not by much. If he were already a FA he'd be the type of guy I'd want, a guy you're buying low on.

Deputy Nutz
02-10-2017, 01:52 PM
You want an over priced player that is often injured on the downside of his career? 11 million this season and nearly 15 million next year means you can sign a number one corner.

3irty1
02-10-2017, 02:18 PM
You want an over priced player that is often injured on the downside of his career? 11 million this season and nearly 15 million next year means you can sign a number one corner.

This is free agency, the only option is over-priced and/or risky. Matthews will be just 31 this season and presumably starts the season squared away health-wise and position-wise. Him whooping some ass doesn't require some comeback player of the year narrative. If you think best case scenario for him is KGB at this point then ok I guess. I think there's more than that in the tank.

You can and should sign a starting-caliber CB anyways but it won't matter if there is no pass rush. Its easy to imagine a much improved pass defense just with a two-armed Matthews and two-handed Perry.

Fritz
02-10-2017, 02:35 PM
What's more likely: Ted signs a high-profile free agent who is not already on the team and does not get cut from another team, or Fritzy has sex with Drew Barrymore somewhere other than in his dreams?

pbmax
02-10-2017, 08:32 PM
Before his shoulder he missed two games with a hamstring. He misses far too many tackles, and can't make plays in coverage. Even when healthy he struggles to show up in crunch time. Perfect example is the NFC Championship game against Seattle. How much are you willing to pay Matthews per sack? 2016 you payed him roughly 3 million per sack. When he played an entire season in the inside he still only managed 66 tackles. He is more hype than production. I agree he is coming back but if the Packers did cut him they would have plenty of money to sign a starting caliber defensive back and sign Nick Perry. .

That makes his pressure numbers look even better. Sack isn't the only evidence he is having an effect.

I agree, healthy, Perry is the better player on the LOS. But the history is not there are he stays less healthy than Matthews.

If you wanted to go production per dollar, you sign Jones and Peppers cheap and toss Perry and Matthews to some other team to spend money on their injured list.

I might endorse that move except for all the plays Matthews does not make, I see him much more than Jones, who somehow totaled more pressures. Which means that over 16 games, his number is very unimpressive.

pbmax
02-10-2017, 08:34 PM
What's more likely: Ted signs a high-profile free agent who is not already on the team and does not get cut from another team, or Fritzy has sex with Drew Barrymore somewhere other than in his dreams?

Are you sure you want us to answer this question?

run pMc
02-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Why would they sign Tretter? They have Linsley, and a guy they like on the PS. I could see them drafting a player for depth and banking on 2 of Barclay, Spriggs, and Murphy to make a leap and be the depth. Not sure you want to spend big money on a backup player who's injured a lot. Tretter is a luxury they will skip if they sign a veteran CB in FA.

vince
02-11-2017, 07:35 AM
Good thread with a lot of really good posts on both sides of just about all these guys.

I'm assuming Cook is in for sure. Then, if Ted goes to the top of the market at CB it seems like Lang, Tretter and Lacy could all be gone. Or Datone might have to come back vs. Perry. A top-shelf CB plus Lang, Lacy and Perry doesn't seem to work - unless Matthews is willing to redo his deal or Ted is willing to cut him. That'd take balls of steel, which Ted has shown but I'm not seeing that here.

And the offseason action (combine, signing period) is a month away yet.

Keep dreaming Fritzy.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/25/97/ed/2597ed6f6fb9034620a5ab5e63dc3e02.jpg

pbmax
02-11-2017, 07:45 AM
Why would they sign Tretter? They have Linsley, and a guy they like on the PS. I could see them drafting a player for depth and banking on 2 of Barclay, Spriggs, and Murphy to make a leap and be the depth. Not sure you want to spend big money on a backup player who's injured a lot. Tretter is a luxury they will skip if they sign a veteran CB in FA.

They might do it because Ted doesn't like to watch talent walk away before a second deal. But as you say, the numbers may work against it. He does have a number of starts, so his price might not be bargain basement.

The only scenario I can picture that they NEED him would involve moving Linsley to Guard to replace Lang (or backup both) and let Tretter start. With a backup Guard, you let Barclay go and keep Murph and the Magictones (Spriggs).

red
02-11-2017, 09:15 AM
Keep dreaming Fritzy.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/25/97/ed/2597ed6f6fb9034620a5ab5e63dc3e02.jpg

he has no shot with drew from 20 years ago, but he might have a shot with her today

http://www.hopeworxinc.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/drewBarrymore.jpg

just like me 20 years ago with jennifer love hewitt, she was the hottest girl ever, but if her ass keep growing, i figure she'll be knocking down my door in a couple years

Fritz
02-11-2017, 01:13 PM
Just like Ted has a shot with a FA - as long as he's no longer in his prime and comes cheap!

I'll take any version of Drew. Just like some of you will take any version of Eddie Lacy.

Fritz
02-12-2017, 08:29 AM
What Packerrats see when they see a big-name free agent:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ4iJhEBTSW4j3vyBKGteC_PD7z6bgDY ln5TITCx-054n6CQMpm9A

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKX4iVZoR8EF5uHBjIV7vntPgIiJT8l Vf-xl574Ta7zvh52U6h

What Ted Thompson sees when he sees a big-name free agent:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUJoQvqL4wErQ6m-mFVzQD9EtRY3SQByl0tb53MEVwxPk15u0QAxN6wTg

wist43
02-12-2017, 10:59 AM
My guess is you guys haven't seen Santa Clarita Diet, lol..

pbmax
02-16-2017, 01:03 PM
Lang has not been contacted yet this offseason. http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/could-jc-tretter-be-an-option-to-replace-tj-lang-0?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Packers haven’t even contacted Lang. He said so this week on SiriusXM Radio.

So the other free agents are still the priorities (Tretter, Perry, maybe Jones), and there is still time for them all to sign or turn down the Packers.

These guys at Cheesehead TV think Tretter might be targeted for Guard. I think Linsley would be a better fit, but they have had taller, thinner guys at Guard before.

EDIT: forgot Cook as FA priority over Lang.

red
02-16-2017, 03:03 PM
one of those two (tretter, linsley) will be our starting guard next year, the other will be the center

no room for lang imo

pbmax
02-16-2017, 04:27 PM
Here are your FA signings:

Miami Dolphins @MiamiDolphins
We have released DE Mario Williams, DT Earl Mitchell and waived CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu.

pbmax
02-16-2017, 05:19 PM
Nagler's podcast gives the following run down on Packers own FAs:

0. Hyde, signed, too valuable
1. Cook, signed, $5-6 mil per, less than Olsen, maybe DWalker/BCelek territory
2. Jones*, signed, everything but boxscore contributions
3. Perry, maybe, $8+ mil per, Packers want him, but he's gonna get Jerry Hughes/PernellMcNee/BrandonGraham money
4. Barclay, yes, minimum salary

5. Lacy, no, hits FA like Perry to test water, comes back if he doesn't like offers
6. Lang, no, $7+ mil per, Patrick or Murphy replace him, a Ted move
7. Peppers, no, old, want Fackrell or Elliot to step up
8. Michael, no, untrustworthy, hit open market, might bring him back if he gets lowballed
9. Starks, no
10. JC Tretter, maybe due to injury, might scare off suitors, but should get paid starter money somewhere

* Says Jones doesn't show up in boxscore but does a lot of good things on tape

red
02-16-2017, 05:44 PM
i like perry a lot this year, but thats too much money for a guy whos had one season NOT ruined by injuries

and i DO NOT want barclay back at any cost. you can't afford to have him on the field, so why even keep him. go draft someone else, or just go grab a frozen piece of dog shit to take his spot

hyde i would keep, shouldn't cost much, and isn't a bad player

cook is a no brainer for me, sign him up, top priority

datone, i don't know on this one, maybe keep him if he's dirt cheap, but i'm not his biggest fan. but if he does stay, he's the guy that needs to step up in place of peppers and perry, not fackerell

lacy i would try and keep, the guy has weight issues, but i think we can all admit, he's the best back we've had in a long time (at least since ahman). when healthy. and he shouldn't cost that much. i think we're all just pissed at him cause he got fat and hurt

and i already said i think they'll keep tretter over lang, tretter should be younger and cheaper

pbmax
02-16-2017, 05:49 PM
An actual new nugget from Andrew Brandt from this Nagler podcast. When McCarthy came on board, he was looking to launch his accountability and availability drive.

Brandt says this was when the Packers front office really bought in to adding offseason workout bonuses into contracts. $100,000 of the agreed salary might be for offseason program alone and the player had to hit 85%, 90 or 95% attendance to collect the cash.

The two holdouts? Harris and Woodson said it didn't matter how much was in the fund, they weren't coming in just to workout in March.

Never had a chance to get it into Favre's contract. Rodgers has it in the current deal.

red
02-16-2017, 05:50 PM
2 guys who didn't need the extra work, or a piddly 100K

red
02-16-2017, 05:53 PM
and just to update, free agency for the other 31 teams starts march 9th

so we got 3 weeks to sign our own guys we want to keep before their prices go way up

Cheesehead Craig
02-16-2017, 06:36 PM
I think we're losing Perry. I can see him getting better $ than the Pack are willing to offer. There will be posts of those saying this is proof that TT needs to go as he's letting valuable pieces go. And others who will point out that the $ he got is more than the Packers could have possibly offer it without screwing themselves over on the cap and keeping other players.

pbmax
02-16-2017, 06:46 PM
ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk
Pittsburgh Police say charges that include robbery and aggravated assault are pending against Darrelle Revis

Revis Island getting cheaper by the moment.

texaspackerbacker
02-16-2017, 06:55 PM
I think we're losing Perry. I can see him getting better $ than the Pack are willing to offer. There will be posts of those saying this is proof that TT needs to go as he's letting valuable pieces go. And others who will point out that the $ he got is more than the Packers could have possibly offer it without screwing themselves over on the cap and keeping other players.

I'm obviously not the biggest fan of Ted, but I don't think he fails to re-sign Perry. And if he does, it will be because somebody overpays for him. Perry did damn good last season, but you could also make a case for saying he is a classic case of a player playing up in his contract year. I'll fault Ted if he doesn't get us a top quality free agent Corner, but I don't see him messing up either way on Perry.

Zool
02-16-2017, 07:59 PM

Anyone know what the tag number for an OLB would be?

Joemailman
02-16-2017, 08:30 PM
Anyone know what the tag number for an OLB would be?

Unofficial, but this is probably real close:

The specific amounts of the franchise tenders won’t be known until the per-team salary cap has been finalized. If the cap is $165 million, here are the salary-cap numbers:

Quarterback: $21.01 million.

Defensive end: $16.73 million.

Receiver: $15.49 million.

Linebacker: $14.37 million.

Offensive line: $14.1 million.

Cornerback: $14.04 million.

Defensive tackle: $13.22 million.

Running back: $11.9 million.

Safety: $10.76 million.

Tight end: $9.66 million.

Kicker-punter: $4.77 million.

Zool
02-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Thanks Joe. I didn't realize the cap had anything to do with it. I thought it was the average of the top 5 at that position. Either way, Perry at $14 or $16mil makes the tag a non-option.

Joemailman
02-16-2017, 09:38 PM
Thanks Joe. I didn't realize the cap had anything to do with it. I thought it was the average of the top 5 at that position. Either way, Perry at $14 or $16mil makes the tag a non-option.

I didn't know either. It's actually a combination:

The NFL starts by calculating a "franchise tag" amount for each of the prior five years. The franchise tag amount is the average of the top five salaries at each position for each year. Then the NFL adds up the last five franchise tag amounts and divides them by the prior five total salary-cap amounts.

The NFL takes this rolling five-year average of how much of the salary cap that position's franchise tag takes up, then takes that percentage of this year's salary cap as the non-exclusive offer amount.

Pugger
02-17-2017, 08:08 AM
one of those two (tretter, linsley) will be our starting guard next year, the other will be the center

no room for lang imo

I don't know if Linsley has ever been anything other than a center. And can we depend upon Tretter to stay on the field this coming season? He being injury prone is concerning for sure. Lang might be a little older but he is a warrior and will play banged up.

jklowan
02-17-2017, 09:05 AM
Anyone know what Pack will have to spend this year in cap space

jklowan
02-17-2017, 09:32 AM
GOT IT...

7 mil J.C. Tretter
2.5 mil Hyde
4 mil Datone

Free Agents (LOOKS LIKE 1 IS ALL WE CAN DO REALISTICALLY)
11 mil Stephon Gilmore or A.J. Bouye

THESE SIGNING WOULD LET US GO HEAVY ON D IN THE DRAFT

pbmax
02-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Free Agent Pass Rushers. Not grouped by price, but grouped by likely impact next year.

1. Jason Pierre Paul, 28 (wanted back)
2. Chandler Jones 26, (wanted back, tag)
3. Calais Campbell, 31
4. Melvin Ingram, 27
5. Lorenzo Alexander, 33 (career year in weird circumstances)
6. Jabaal Sheard, 28
7. Chris Long, 32
8. Charles Johnson, 31
9. Mario Addison, 30
10. Nick Perry, 27
11. Erik Walden, 32
12. Dwight Freeney
13. Julius Peppers
14. DeMarcus Ware
15. James Harrison
16. Robert Mathis
17. Trent Cole

Bargains

1. Jacques Smith
2. Margus Hunt
3. Jarvis Jones

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693137-nfl-free-agency-2017-handicapping-jason-pierre-paul-pass-rusher-free-agents

red
02-17-2017, 01:38 PM
calais campbell keeps jumping out at me. the guys just a beast, and perfect for our system

and he fits the mold of the type of free agent TT likes to sign

Joemailman
02-17-2017, 05:44 PM
calais campbell keeps jumping out at me. the guys just a beast, and perfect for our system

and he fits the mold of the type of free agent TT likes to sign

Certainly would be interesting. Still playing at a high level with 8 sacks. I see he had 6 passes defensed. I wonder if that's batting down passes at the line, or if he sometimes drops into coverage. http://www.nfl.com/player/calaiscampbell/744/profile

Upnorth
02-18-2017, 08:30 AM
Have there been any projections on what Terrell pryor will get in free agency? I think he can be our next Jordy, great speed, great hands, good head.

BZnDallas
02-18-2017, 09:02 AM
Have there been any projections on what Terrell pryor will get in free agency? I think he can be our next Jordy, great speed, great hands, good head.

Not so sure about the 'good head' thing. Saw a report a while back that said none of his teammates like him. Apparently he was not liked at Ohio St and that has followed him to the Browns too. I'll see if I can find the report. I was intrigued as well by his abilities until I saw the article. Didn't sound like Packer People.

BZnDallas
02-18-2017, 09:41 AM
This isn't the one I originally read, but it kinda shows some of the issues Pryor has or has had. So maybe he is trying to be a better player and or person. But it also sounds like the Browns are very interested in bringing him back anyway. Fast, big target, I like where you're going with it though.

http://nypost.com/2016/12/22/everyone-in-the-nfl-wants-to-beef-with-terrelle-pryor/

Upnorth
02-18-2017, 10:53 AM
By good head I meant he is trained at reading a d from the qb perspective which might help get him on the same page as arid quickly

BZnDallas
02-18-2017, 11:38 AM
Apologies. Your comparison was to Jordy Nelson so I missed the connection. My bad.

Joemailman
02-18-2017, 01:29 PM
Pretty good group of CB's who could be available in FA. http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2017CB.php

I think we know TT won't throw crazy money at anybody on Day 1. However, I could see him try to make a deal after that. 2 of the top 4 CB's belong to the Patriots. They may decide they can't sign them both.

texaspackerbacker
02-19-2017, 09:21 AM
Pretty good group of CB's who could be available in FA. http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2017CB.php

I think we know TT won't throw crazy money at anybody on Day 1. However, I could see him try to make a deal after that. 2 of the top 4 CB's belong to the Patriots. They may decide they can't sign them both.

Good List. I'd tend to discount the guys who had a lot of D talent around them (Bouye and the Patriot players). Gilmore and Amukamara stand out to me on the list.

Joemailman
02-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Cameron Wake signs new 2 year 18 million deal with Dolphins. Is this what it will cost to sign Perry?

Upnorth
02-19-2017, 10:11 AM
Cameron Wake signs new 2 year 18 million deal with Dolphins. Is this what it will cost to sign Perry?

If so that is reasonable imo. And worth it

red
02-19-2017, 10:12 AM
hows this for thinking outside the box

desean jackson would give us the speed and deep threat that a-rod and TT wish they had, and would probably cost 8 mill a year

just a thought

red
02-19-2017, 10:14 AM
If so that is reasonable imo. And worth it

9 a year is a lot for what is basically a one year wonder, this is the very definition of a guy picking up his game for a contract year

what happens when he gets paid, does he start missing games again for little nagging injuries?

spotrac has a cool new feature BTW, guessing guys market values, they list perry at 8.5 million a year

beveaux1
02-19-2017, 10:15 AM

I've been guessing 8.5 to 9.5 million per year. Jones may cost 4.5 to 5.5 million. Lang won't sign for less than he's already getting. Cook will be at least 6 million per year.

I think we'll struggle to sign Perry or Lacy. They may both look at offers from other teams. My guess is that anybody from our own team that we really want will be pretty expensive and will leave us with very little room to sign outside free agents. Maybe a mid-priced guy later in the free agent season.

red
02-19-2017, 10:35 AM
theres always ways of getting more money, for instance

we have a WR that will count over 12.5 million against the cap this year who hasn't come close to 1000 yards the last 2 seasons. you could get a top teir free agent CB for that. what would help the team more, a shut down corner, or a WR that averages less the 50 yards per game?

or a OLB that will count over 15 million this year, who has never had more then 66 tackles in a year (he had 24 this year, 24 FFS) and hasn't come close to double digit sacks since 2014. you could probably take that money and go out and get an ILB AND an OLB that could both do as mush as he does

red
02-19-2017, 10:42 AM
one big thing perry has going for him staying in green bay was that TT gave him a one year "prove it" deal

and i think we can all agree, he proved it.

Joemailman
02-19-2017, 10:44 AM
9 a year is a lot for what is basically a one year wonder, this is the very definition of a guy picking up his game for a contract year

what happens when he gets paid, does he start missing games again for little nagging injuries?

spotrac has a cool new feature BTW, guessing guys market values, they list perry at 8.5 million a year

Perry is the definition of a guy who was pretty damn good once he was healthy.

Perry has played through injuries before even though they limited his effectiveness in 2014-2015. He's only missed 5 games over the last 3 years.

Joemailman
02-19-2017, 11:14 AM

If those numbers are close, I think they sign Perry, Cook and Lacy. Not sure what they do about Tretter vs. Lang.

gbgary
02-19-2017, 11:22 AM
don't know where he gets his info...
Check out @MySportsUpdate's Tweet: https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/833351959478431744?s=09
Report: Packers, Colts and Ravens are interested in trading for Eagles DE Connor Barwin.

Joemailman
02-19-2017, 01:08 PM
don't know where he gets his info...
Check out @MySportsUpdate's Tweet: https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/833351959478431744?s=09

From here?:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693682-connor-barwin-reportedly-considered-trade-target-by-multiple-teams

fseason.

Mark Eckel of NJ Advance Media reported Saturday the Green Bay Packers, Baltimore Ravens and Indianapolis Colts are among the potential landing spots if the Eagles front office decides to move on from the lineman, either through trade or release.

Barwin is coming off his worst season since joining Philadelphia in 2013. He registered just 34 combined tackles, five sacks and one forced fumble across 16 games. The production was a far cry from the 14.5 sacks he put up during the 2014 campaign.

The drop in his level of impact combined with a $8.35 million cap hit for 2017 raised questions about his future with the Eagles. The team could release him and leave just $600,000 in dead cap space for next season, according to Spotrac.

pbmax
02-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Perry is the definition of a guy who was pretty damn good once he was healthy.

Perry has played through injuries before even though they limited his effectiveness in 2014-2015. He's only missed 5 games over the last 3 years.

Injuries are one problem. Lack of backup is another (unless Elliot makes a year 3 jump and Holy Fackrell makes a Year 2 jump).

But the oddest question is one I head from Steve True last week. He claims Perry disappeared when Matthews was out this year (guessing hamstring, but perhaps meant after shoulder injury as well). Perry is not Lawrence Taylor and he doesn't dominate week in and week out with pressure, but I did not sense he disappeared this year until his hand injury.

Anyone else want to backup that disappear claim?

pbmax
02-19-2017, 02:50 PM
From here?:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693682-connor-barwin-reportedly-considered-trade-target-by-multiple-teams

This is ALL agent based. So take it with grain of salt. This report doesn't even bother to claim team is shopping him yet.

Joemailman
02-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Injuries are one problem. Lack of backup is another (unless Elliot makes a year 3 jump and Holy Fackrell makes a Year 2 jump).

But the oddest question is one I head from Steve True last week. He claims Perry disappeared when Matthews was out this year (guessing hamstring, but perhaps meant after shoulder injury as well). Perry is not Lawrence Taylor and he doesn't dominate week in and week out with pressure, but I did not sense he disappeared this year until his hand injury.

Don't remember, but looking at the stats, he had 1 quiet game and 2 decent games. He only had a half a sack for the 3 games, so maybe that's the reason for the "disappear" claim.

His line for the 3 games:

Atlanta: 1 tackle, 1 pass defensed
Indy: 1 tackle, 3 assists, 0.5 sacks
Tennessee: 3 tackles, 3 assists

red
02-19-2017, 06:25 PM

i don't think clay commands a double team any more, so i have no clue why perry wouldn't play the same with him out

none of these d-line or linebacks could dominate full games like reggie did, and have impacts on a lot of the plays. these guys might make 15-20 big plays a year, and the OLB's don't make a ton of tackles.

maybe he was just pulling a clay or a peppers and not making any plays for a few games

pbmax
02-19-2017, 07:53 PM
Clay does get double teamed though. He also spends time blitzing in the middle, which gives offenses something else to worry about.

pbmax
02-20-2017, 09:25 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 18m18 minutes ago
Former #Dolphins DT Earl Mitchell begins his free agent tour today, spending time with #Seahawks. On Tuesday/Wednedsay, he’s with the #49ers

Joemailman
02-20-2017, 09:33 AM
Clay does get double teamed though. He also spends time blitzing in the middle, which gives offenses something else to worry about.

According to McGinn, he was double-teamed 22.6% of the time. It certainly is possible Perry started drawing double teams with Clay out.

texaspackerbacker
02-20-2017, 10:45 AM
hows this for thinking outside the box

desean jackson would give us the speed and deep threat that a-rod and TT wish they had, and would probably cost 8 mill a year

just a thought

I'd give Cobb's money to DeSean - speed tends to not deteriorate with age, and I think he would be an upgrade - maybe a major upgrade. Not to pick at a scab or anything hahahaha, but this is the kind of thing a lot of GMs would really consider. I doubt, however, Ted gives it a serious thought.

Deputy Nutz
02-20-2017, 11:01 AM

It also was the same time that Perry broke his fucking hand.

Joemailman
02-20-2017, 11:05 AM
If they cut or trade Cobb, 6.5 million of his remaining signing bonus hits the cap. It would probably cost 10 million per year to sign Jackson. With Jordy having a cap hit of 11.5 million, that would be an awful lot of your cap tied up in the WR position. Won't and shouldn't happen. They'll hope Trevor Davis can contribute more in his 2nd year, and maybe draft speed at WR. Besides, there was nothing wrong with the Packers passing game once they started getting production from Cook at TE.

Joemailman
02-20-2017, 11:10 AM
It also was the same time that Perry broke his fucking hand.

No, Perry's hand injury occurred in December. Matthews missed games in Oct.-Nov.

pbmax
02-20-2017, 11:51 AM
Demovsky on linebackers: http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/37521/packers-need-clay-matthews-plus-help-inside-and-outside

1. Matthews might be best suited to inside. McCarthy seems committed to move him around.
2. Perry needs to come back, for his contributions and ...
3. Peppers appears to be done. However, with limited snaps early in season, Peppers still got 8.5 sacks.
4. Jones gone
5. Thomas (shedding blocks), Ryan (big plays) and Martinez (coverage) all have holes. All would be helped by Matthews in middle.

red
02-20-2017, 12:07 PM
the problem with mathews being an ILB is that he would be the highest paid ILB in the game at around 13 million a year

the next highest is kuechly at 12.3

i'd take luke all day long in the middle over clay

so he would be due a pay cut, which in ths day and age, i don't believe in

red
02-20-2017, 12:10 PM
If they cut or trade Cobb, 6.5 million of his remaining signing bonus hits the cap. It would probably cost 10 million per year to sign Jackson. With Jordy having a cap hit of 11.5 million, that would be an awful lot of your cap tied up in the WR position. Won't and shouldn't happen. They'll hope Trevor Davis can contribute more in his 2nd year, and maybe draft speed at WR. Besides, there was nothing wrong with the Packers passing game once they started getting production from Cook at TE.

yeah, cause 27 million is so much more then 24.2 million with cobb and nelson both on the roster

and there was nothing wrong with the passing game other then cobb not adding much of anything to it, and the lack of a deep threat that a-rod and M3 keep thinking they have and try and use on many of the passing plays

a reliable deep threat guy would just open everything up so much for us imo

gbgary
02-20-2017, 12:53 PM
cobb gone ain't happenin. lol

Zool
02-20-2017, 08:01 PM
yeah, cause 27 million is so much more then 24.2 million with cobb and nelson both on the roster

and there was nothing wrong with the passing game other then cobb not adding much of anything to it, and the lack of a deep threat that a-rod and M3 keep thinking they have and try and use on many of the passing plays

a reliable deep threat guy would just open everything up so much for us imo

I think a strong inside presence would open up the long game more than vise versa. Maybe Cook resigning and having a year in the system makes that happen.

Deputy Nutz
02-21-2017, 10:47 AM
Demovsky on linebackers: http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/37521/packers-need-clay-matthews-plus-help-inside-and-outside

1. Matthews might be best suited to inside. McCarthy seems committed to move him around.
2. Perry needs to come back, for his contributions and ...
3. Peppers appears to be done. However, with limited snaps early in season, Peppers still got 8.5 sacks.
4. Jones gone
5. Thomas (shedding blocks), Ryan (big plays) and Martinez (coverage) all have holes. All would be helped by Matthews in middle.

Matthews is a pass rusher. He is a poor tackler, poor in coverage, and terrible at taking on blocks. If the Packers want to use him as a pass rusher from the inside linebacker position so be it but playing him there on 1st and 2nd down as a run stopper or to drop in coverage is a mistake. The Packers are not going to cut him because of the lack of depth and quality at the OLB position. They are stuck paying him all that scratch for the foreseeable future. He is a better player if he is moved around the field, it is obviously less predictable where he is going to be coming from.

pbmax
02-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Matthews might be an improvement over what the Packers have trotted out at ILB for several years now. If only because he is fast and can cause havoc, you stand an increased chance of a big play (TFL, pressure). So while he definitely struggles on pays up the gut, he can chase to the sideline like no other ILB we have seen in years.

I still think the majority of the improvement in the 2014 defense was not Matthews inside (though it helped), but Perry getting a starting job, being healthy and shoring up the run defense.

pbmax
02-21-2017, 11:36 AM
Free Agent DEs for a 3-4 team. 9 of them. Somehow, all but two specialize in stopping the run.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693534-nfl1000-free-agency-rankings-for-the-2017-3-4-de-market?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-league

1. Calais Campbell
2. Chris Baker
3. Karl Klug
4. Frostee Rucker
5. Leger Douzable
6. Ricardo Mathews
7. Kendall Reyes
8. Antonio Smith
9. Billy Winn

Actually, they have FA rankings for most positions posted already, as part of their Bleacher Report NFL1000 scouting series.

Rutnstrut
02-21-2017, 11:50 AM
Mathews isn't really that great of a pass rusher anymore either. Moving him inside may be best for the team, but he whines and pouts about it. If he isn't happy he won't play as hard. He isn't that good when he's goin all out, so if he's taking plays off because he was moved he will be worse. So maybe moving him isn't best for the team, unless it's moving him off the team.

King Friday
02-21-2017, 10:47 PM
With all the cap space available out there, I can't see the Packers having a chance to resign Perry unless they want to break the bank. Teams are going to be spending OBSCENE amounts of cash on people when free agency opens, and a young pass rusher like Perry coming off a career year is going to attract a lot of attention. I really do not see a chance that we can resign him for less than $10M/year...and that is considering him giving GB a hometown discount to remain with a title contender. I would not be surprised to see him walk for an offer in the range of $50M over 4 years. There are not many pass rushers on the healthy side of 30 in this year's FA crop...guys who post double digit sacks get paid a lot of money in this league. (i.e. Clay)

I also see Lacy and Starks as departures...and I can't see Thompson going into camp with only Monty and a bunch of unproven RBs as ballcarriers. What is the consensus on how we approach the RB position if in fact Lacy is not retained? Does Thompson take a chance on Peterson if he becomes available? He likely won't attract much interest in free agency due to age and the fact few contending teams have a gaping hole at RB like the Packers do. He fits the profile of an aging uber athlete that Ted doesn't mind taking a chance on when the price is right, although the fact he's a RB will test Ted's better judgment.

Pugger
02-22-2017, 10:07 AM
I doubt Starks will be back but I don't see a big market for Lacy so he should return. Peterson will cost too much and his style of play isn't a good fit for our offense.

pbmax
02-22-2017, 11:21 AM
With all the cap space available out there, I can't see the Packers having a chance to resign Perry unless they want to break the bank. Teams are going to be spending OBSCENE amounts of cash on people when free agency opens, and a young pass rusher like Perry coming off a career year is going to attract a lot of attention. I really do not see a chance that we can resign him for less than $10M/year...and that is considering him giving GB a hometown discount to remain with a title contender. I would not be surprised to see him walk for an offer in the range of $50M over 4 years. There are not many pass rushers on the healthy side of 30 in this year's FA crop...guys who post double digit sacks get paid a lot of money in this league. (i.e. Clay)

I also see Lacy and Starks as departures...and I can't see Thompson going into camp with only Monty and a bunch of unproven RBs as ballcarriers. What is the consensus on how we approach the RB position if in fact Lacy is not retained? Does Thompson take a chance on Peterson if he becomes available? He likely won't attract much interest in free agency due to age and the fact few contending teams have a gaping hole at RB like the Packers do. He fits the profile of an aging uber athlete that Ted doesn't mind taking a chance on when the price is right, although the fact he's a RB will test Ted's better judgment.

Anything can happen. Only one desperate team is needed to give Perry dumb money. But if there are others in the market (JPP, Campbell, etc.) the odds decline.

And his history is mixed, lack of production alongside injuries. So you have to have a lot of players off the board to get him to your #1 candidate.

In fact, despite being his #1 cheerleader on this site, even I have mixed feeling about counting on him for a big 4 year deal. I am hoping that Ted can keep it below $9 mil per year and have a consequence free structure that allows him to be dumped after Year 2 of this deal.

I don't think Lacy gets big money at all. Unlike Perry, there is no premium on his position.

pbmax
02-22-2017, 01:21 PM
https://twitter.com/Lil_Eazy_Ana_42/status/834169629253722115

Lacy working out in water at Alabama.

King Friday
02-22-2017, 09:52 PM
Anything can happen. Only one desperate team is needed to give Perry dumb money. But if there are others in the market (JPP, Campbell, etc.) the odds decline.

Sorry...too many teams sitting around with $50M+ in cap space to think Perry is going to be gotten for anything less than $10M per year.

King Friday
02-22-2017, 10:03 PM
I doubt Starks will be back but I don't see a big market for Lacy so he should return. Peterson will cost too much and his style of play isn't a good fit for our offense.

I agree that Peterson's style doesn't seem to fit with ours, but due to his age, I'm not sure he can handle his own style anymore. At this point, he would probably be a better fit as a back in our offense...where he won't carry the ball 25 times a game, but will get a fair number of touches and still earns the respect of the defense enough to open up the passing game. Even at 32, Peterson will be a threat on the edge...as a runner or receiver.

I also don't see a big market for Lacy...but I'm not sure he even wants to come back to Green Bay. To me, his style is even less of a fit for our offense than Peterson would be. Lacy is a guy who has to run the ball 25 times and wear down a defense...and we will NEVER do that.

Joemailman
02-22-2017, 10:21 PM
I also don't see a big market for Lacy...but I'm not sure he even wants to come back to Green Bay. To me, his style is even less of a fit for our offense than Peterson would be. Lacy is a guy who has to run the ball 25 times and wear down a defense...and we will NEVER do that.

Lacy doesn't need 25 carries to be successful. In 2014 he averaged 15 carries and 3 receptions per game. He had almost 1600 total yards and 13 TD's. His running style isn't typical for a big back.

Pugger
02-23-2017, 07:26 AM
https://twitter.com/Lil_Eazy_Ana_42/status/834169629253722115

Lacy working out in water at Alabama.

He looks to be moving pretty well in that short clip.

Pugger
02-23-2017, 07:27 AM
Lacy doesn't need 25 carries to be successful. In 2014 he averaged 15 carries and 3 receptions per game. He had almost 1600 total yards and 13 TD's. His running style isn't typical for a big back.

This past season before he reinjured his ankle he was averaging over 5 yards a carry.

Zool
02-23-2017, 08:11 AM
I agree that Peterson's style doesn't seem to fit with ours, but due to his age, I'm not sure he can handle his own style anymore. At this point, he would probably be a better fit as a back in our offense...where he won't carry the ball 25 times a game, but will get a fair number of touches and still earns the respect of the defense enough to open up the passing game. Even at 32, Peterson will be a threat on the edge...as a runner or receiver.

Hes one of the worst receiving backs I've ever seen. And that's after improving over his career. He's also awful in pass protection. He's the opposite of what the Packers need at RB. Packers need a William Henderson clone.

pbmax
02-23-2017, 08:39 AM
Podcast from editor of Packers Report dot com. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2692738-the-hype-is-real-jimmy-garoppolo-worth-the-price-of-a-1st-round-draft-pick

Connor Barwin edition. In order:

1. Claims to have started the rumors now running rampant on internet
2. Claims NJ story that Packers are one of three teams interested in trading for him was independent report. Believes this because who would listen to a Packer Report podcast?
3. Immediate regret and then mid life crisis about whether to sell out and go click bait next time when first reporting Connor Barwin might interest the Packers if released.
4. ACTUAL INFORMATION FROM SOURCE who says Connor Barwin is out of gas. Then good discussion about whether Barwin was miscast in Schwartz's 4-3 Defense.
5. Acknowledges that Barwin would LIKE to come to Green Bay if the Eagles trade/release him.
6. Full circle, this is how an agent uses the press against itself to promote his client.

pbmax
02-23-2017, 11:26 AM
Zach Kruse @zachkruse2
Mounting evidence that J.C. Tretter will be very costly for #Packers to bring back. He's highly regarded and hardly a secret.

Pugger
02-23-2017, 01:18 PM
Who is Zach Kruse?

pbmax
02-23-2017, 02:44 PM
Who is Zach Kruse?

That is a great question. he works for Bleacher Report, but unsure if he is paid. He also writes for one of the USAToday blogs.

I *think* he is Dennis Krause's son. Dennis is a sports broadcaster in Milwaukee at Time Warner Cable Sports Channel 32. He used to work for WTMJ. He does Bucks home games and used to do Packer pregame on the radio.

pbmax
02-23-2017, 02:50 PM
Bill Barnwell's plan of attack in offseason. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Barnwell5Moves2017NFCN/bill-barnwell-five-moves-nfc-north-team-make-2017-nfl-offseason

1. Re-sign Cook and Lang. Makes case for Cook, doesn't for Lang.

2. Re-sign Peppers and DON'T re-sign Perry. Thinks Perry's injury history is more important than last year. But last year is going to net him $10 mil per.

3. Find a cornerback. Maybe even FA. Correctly predicts House getting released by Jags.

4. Find another inside linebacker.

5. Get starting RB like, say, Adrian Peterson.

red
02-23-2017, 03:32 PM
i don't see peterson having much if anything left in the tank. he looked very pedestrian against us early this year

he played 2 full game before he got hurt and he averaged less then 2 yards per carry

he's 31, and has missed almost 2 full seasons of the last 3

plus his one full season, 2 seasons ago, he only averaged 4.5 yards per carry, he just had huge numbers because thy gave him the ball 327 times, he probably won't get within 100 carries of that in green bay

whats left of AP is a far cry from the AP in his prime. i think i would rather roll the dice on fat eddy getting in shape to be honest

red
02-23-2017, 03:33 PM
and if tretter is gonna cost a ton (close to what lang would cost), then i would stick with lang

texaspackerbacker
02-23-2017, 05:49 PM
Bill Barnwell's plan of attack in offseason. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Barnwell5Moves2017NFCN/bill-barnwell-five-moves-nfc-north-team-make-2017-nfl-offseason

1. Re-sign Cook and Lang. Makes case for Cook, doesn't for Lang.

2. Re-sign Peppers and DON'T re-sign Perry. Thinks Perry's injury history is more important than last year. But last year is going to net him $10 mil per.

3. Find a cornerback. Maybe even FA. Correctly predicts House getting released by Jags.

4. Find another inside linebacker.

5. Get starting RB like, say, Adrian Peterson.

Eliminate #5, and I concur completely. And now that I think about it, if we could get Peterson for cheap enough or an incentive-laden enough contract, it might be an interesting risk, considering how he bounced back from that previous knee injury and how he thrived so well on the Vikings, he might just be something really special playing with Aaron Rodgers.

Rutnstrut
02-23-2017, 06:10 PM
Eliminate #5, and I concur completely. And now that I think about it, if we could get Peterson for cheap enough or an incentive-laden enough contract, it might be an interesting risk, considering how he bounced back from that previous knee injury and how he thrived so well on the Vikings, he might just be something really special playing with Aaron Rodgers.

I think AP will do well with whatever new team he ends up with as he is the type to want to prove something. Well as long as said team isn't the Browns.

Guiness
02-23-2017, 08:06 PM
and if tretter is gonna cost a ton (close to what lang would cost), then i would stick with lang

Lang has a lot more miles on his body than Tretter, and his injuries are chronic - they are not going to go away. Lineman can play well into their 30s though so he might have some years left.

Tretter on the other hand has not seen the field much and I don't think is injuries are going to nag/linger. Question is does the dreaded 'injury prone' label apply?

King Friday
02-23-2017, 08:24 PM
i think i would rather roll the dice on fat eddy getting in shape to be honest

I honestly would too...I'm just convinced that Lacy isn't going to want to come back to Green Bay enough to give us a hometown discount, and Ted's too tight to give Lacy market value.

HarveyWallbangers
02-23-2017, 10:39 PM
I'd be happy with resigning Cook, Perry, Lang or Tretter; signing a FA CB; drafting OLB, another CB, and RB; maybe get a veteran RB (Lacy, Stewart, Peterson, Charles, Murray) if we can get good value. Top priority is getting CB fixed and restocking OLB.

Deputy Nutz
02-24-2017, 08:48 AM
The offensive line needs depth especially if Tretter and Lang do not resign. I would think that they would give Barclay a shot at guard, but possibly move Bulaga inside and try Spriggs at Right Tackle.
Then look for the Packers to snag a couple of linemen no sooner than the middle of the draft.

Perry is going to cost an awful lot of money. Based on his production on the last 5 years he isn't worth it, but since the 2015 playoffs he has been a difference maker off the edge. I don't put a lot of faith that a guy like Frackrell is ready to start, and Peppers could be signed for a million bucks but he is no longer a difference maker that has to be accounted for by opposing offenses. Jones has also been a disappointment and the fact they can't find a position for him means he should look to move to a 4-3 defensive scheme as an end. The is a more serious situation that to me is more of an issue than cornerback. They have to get players that can consistently disrupt the passing game.

gbgary
02-24-2017, 10:16 AM
our o-line is one of our strengths. would be stupid to go backwards there. perry too. jones is playing a new position and from EVERYTHING i've read they liked what he did there. i'll bet he's resigned. if he isn't that will probably be where the first pick goes.

RashanGary
02-24-2017, 11:20 AM
The offensive line needs depth especially if Tretter and Lang do not resign. I would think that they would give Barclay a shot at guard, but possibly move Bulaga inside and try Spriggs at Right Tackle.
Then look for the Packers to snag a couple of linemen no sooner than the middle of the draft.

Perry is going to cost an awful lot of money. Based on his production on the last 5 years he isn't worth it, but since the 2015 playoffs he has been a difference maker off the edge. I don't put a lot of faith that a guy like Frackrell is ready to start, and Peppers could be signed for a million bucks but he is no longer a difference maker that has to be accounted for by opposing offenses. Jones has also been a disappointment and the fact they can't find a position for him means he should look to move to a 4-3 defensive scheme as an end. The is a more serious situation that to me is more of an issue than cornerback. They have to get players that can consistently disrupt the passing game.

Right on. Not sure what will happen with Tretter. He might bee back. Perry.... hope it's reasonable.

pbmax
02-24-2017, 12:39 PM
Tretter has been done in by three serious injuries, but I am not sure he could be called injury prone. He had a freak accident during a fumble drill in offseason camp his rookie year. He got rolled into this year at Atlanta. His other bad injury was in a preseason game, another knee injury.

Unless those knees are toast, that seems like luck of the draw. So by that logic, I want Tretter signed over Lang. And with Lang having no communication from the team, that still seems to be the Packers way of thinking too. Its not a perfect fit, since if Lang doesn't come back, right guard is wide open.

Thompson isn't clairvoyant, he played the odds with Sitton and it looked like a good bet when he got hurt this year and Taylor did not washout. I think he is making the same calculation here.

As for Perry, here are the top DEs by paycheck at SpotTrac:

Rank Name AverageSal ApproxValue
1 M Wilkerson $18,000,000 60
2 O Vernon $16,000,000 39
3 J.J. Watt $14,500,000 88
4 E Ansah $12,734,000 32
5 Cam Jordan $12,047,000 42
6 M Bennett $11,268,750 20
7 Rob Quinn $10,750,334 41
8 Mike Daniels $10,400,000 27
9 Cam Heyward $10,400,000 27

Approximate Value is from Pro Football Reference and in this list covers first five years of careers since 2008. Nick Perry's approx. value is 16. He got 6 of that last year.

He might get stupid money (largely dependent on who doesn't sign or get tendered just prior to FA opening) but its not going to be more than $10.7 mil per year unless he is the only one left standing.

Cheesehead Craig
02-24-2017, 01:07 PM
The thing is, there's one team that does have stupid money, Cleveland. It will be real interesting if they go out and just blow the market up on FAs from playoff teams like the Pack.

pbmax
02-24-2017, 01:11 PM
The thing is, there's one team that does have stupid money, Cleveland. It will be real interesting if they go out and just blow the market up on FAs from playoff teams like the Pack.

Yes, but he still isn't first on the list. There are six other guys who have to get signed before he is the first call. And of those, only Ingram is mentioned at DE/OLB as getting tagged.

Cheesehead Craig
02-24-2017, 01:34 PM
Yes, but he still isn't first on the list. There are six other guys who have to get signed before he is the first call. And of those, only Ingram is mentioned at DE/OLB as getting tagged.

Yeah, but Cleveland ain't known for going after the list from the top down. They tend to throw a dart and a list and go after that guy.

red
02-24-2017, 02:11 PM
former director of college scouting for the 9ers just signed with the pack

Matt Malaspina

maybe he knows how to find d-linemen and linebackers

texaspackerbacker
02-24-2017, 02:41 PM
Don't sell Peppers too short. He reminds me of that country song, "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

Unless he's firm on retiring, I hope we can re-sign him for situation player money.

pbmax
02-24-2017, 04:07 PM
former director of college scouting for the 9ers just signed with the pack

Matt Malaspina

maybe he knows how to find d-linemen and linebackers

Weird for that to happen in offseason pre-draft. Usually they pay to keep the knowledge in house until after all the shouting is over.

red
02-24-2017, 05:43 PM
so it looks like we are officially going to end the 2016 season sitting on 9.5 million in cap space

can't help but think that maybe if we had spent that money on one or two guys we could have won another lombardi

oh well, we just have 9.5 million more we can keep kicking down the road for our never ending rebuilding period

what happened to cutting sitton so we could use that cap space to re sign others?

texaspackerbacker
02-24-2017, 06:56 PM
Good Points, red. It will be interesting to read what Ted's big supporters have to say on the topic.

At very least, (I think it's not to late as I understand the cap) they should restructure a contract or two to make that $9.5 million count this year instead of the future.

pbmax
02-25-2017, 10:02 AM
so it looks like we are officially going to end the 2016 season sitting on 9.5 million in cap space

can't help but think that maybe if we had spent that money on one or two guys we could have won another lombardi

oh well, we just have 9.5 million more we can keep kicking down the road for our never ending rebuilding period

what happened to cutting sitton so we could use that cap space to re sign others?

They have to agree to a deal.

Remember when you weren't happy with Shields or Cobb's numbers?

Joemailman
02-25-2017, 11:19 AM
They have to agree to a deal.

Remember when you weren't happy with Shields or Cobb's numbers?

They may also have been keeping money in reserve in case they wanted to offer contract extensions to guys like Lacy, Tretter or Lang. Injuries would have taken those plans off the table.

They tried bringing in guys off the scrap heap to help at RB with little success. Corner would have been the other place to try. Doubtful there was much out there. They did sign Bene Benwikere to the practice squad late, but did not activate him.

Smidgeon
02-25-2017, 11:39 AM

Roughly ten days after cutting Sitton, they extended Bakh with LT pay.

red
02-25-2017, 03:44 PM
Roughly ten days after cutting Sitton, they extended Bakh with LT pay.

ok, thats 1 of about 10 upcoming free agents we have

but yeah, i did forget about bahk

Smidgeon
02-25-2017, 06:54 PM
ok, thats 1 of about 10 upcoming free agents we have

but yeah, i did forget about bahk

Yeah. I didn't mean to state that was all the Free Agents they had coming up (which was an argument for cutting Sitton), but rather to highlight that LTs can be expensive, and they locked theirs down for four years. So one upcoming free agent, but potentially an expensive one.

pbmax
02-26-2017, 06:44 PM
FA OLBs for a 3-4: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2693537-nfl1000-free-agency-rankings-for-the-2017-3-4-olb-market

1. Melvin Ingram
2. Chandler Jones
3. Nick Perry
4. James Harrison
5. DeMarcus Ware
6. Lorenzo Alexander
7. John Simon
8. Julius Peppers
9. Datone Jones

Doug's Quick Take: Jones is an interesting player. Projected as an interior pass-rusher because of his size (6'4", 285 pounds), he only came alive in the NFL when he was moved outside as a giant edge-rusher in Dom Capers' multiple fronts. A good run-stopper on the inside and a consistent (if not entirely dominant) pass-rusher on the outside, Jones has the kind of gap versatility prized in today's NFL, and he'll get a lot of looks from teams that run 3-4 base fronts with hybrid sub-packages.
Potential Suitors: Green Bay Packers, Oakland Raiders, New York Jets, New Orleans Saints, Cleveland Browns, Los Angeles Chargers, Dallas Cowboys
10. Jarvis Jones
11. Erik Walden
12. Trent Cole
13. Jayrone Elliott

Doug's Quick Take: Grabbing three sacks in just 176 snaps in the 2015 season did a lot for Elliott's profile, but he wasn't able to capitalize on it last year. His best bet to get more reps is the possibility that both Nick Perry and Julius Peppers leave Green Bay in free agency, but Elliott will have to match any availability with his own development.
Potential Suitors: Green Bay Packers, New York Jets, Indianapolis Colts, Pittsburgh Steelers
14. Alex Okafor
15. Sam Acho
16. Akeem Ayers
17. Corey Lemonier
18. Dekoda Watson
19. David Bass
20. Tourek Williams
21. Lerentee McCray

texaspackerbacker
02-26-2017, 07:36 PM
Seems like a lot of has beens and never weres on that list. If that's Datone Jones the guy is talking about, not Chandler, it seems like he's over-selling the product by a lot.

I find it surprising that Jayrone Elliot - who I have always really liked - is ranked so high. I didn't think he was that highly thought of by other people. I always figured he could be signed for so much less than Nick Perry that he was the better choice of the two. I said before and I'll say again - about Julius Peppers, if he is dead set on retiring, so be it. But if he is willing to come back for a reasonable amount, I really hope it's with the Packers.

red
02-27-2017, 12:51 PM
jets are trying to trade Sheldon Richardson, could be had for maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder

any thoughts?

edit: jets are asking for a third

pbmax
02-27-2017, 02:27 PM
jets are trying to trade Sheldon Richardson, could be had for maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder

any thoughts?

edit: jets are asking for a third

Not much pass rush. But solid overall. Kinda think you sign him if you are starting out a base 3-4 as your end.

pbmax
02-27-2017, 04:53 PM
uh-oh.

Pete Prisco @PriscoCBS
If Duvernay-Tardif is worth $8 million a year, then Zeitler, Warford and Lang are getting $10-12 a year each. Osemele got $11.7 last year.

five-year contract, Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports. The value of the extension is reportedly $41.25 million

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/27/chiefs-laurent-duvernay-tardif-finalizing-five-year-extension/

red
02-27-2017, 05:02 PM
sooo, we're probably gonna lose both lang AND tretter

pbmax
02-27-2017, 06:59 PM
sooo, we're probably gonna lose both lang AND tretter

Depends on whether teams agree that this kid is a lesser player.

gbgary
02-28-2017, 09:59 AM
deleted

Joemailman
02-28-2017, 10:43 AM
Depends on whether teams agree that this kid is a lesser player.

You're also talking about a 26-year-old who should just be entering the prime of his career. Not a 31 year old who broke his foot twice and had hip surgery.

Wilde And Tausch @WildeAndTausch
Lang: There has been a little bit of contact (w/ the #Packers)…. (Agent) definitely has plans to sit down with Green Bay. #Packers
9:11 AM - 28 Feb 2017

pbmax
02-28-2017, 02:59 PM
TE alert

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 12m12 minutes ago
Despite the Colts' attempts to sign him over the past week, Colts TE Jack Doyle has plans to test free-agent market, per source.

red
02-28-2017, 05:07 PM
Lang says he's gonna see what kind of offers he gets on the open market, then see if Green Bay wants to match

Joemailman
02-28-2017, 05:34 PM
Lang says he's gonna see what kind of offers he gets on the open market, then see if Green Bay wants to match

That's what happened with Bulaga and Cobb if I remember correctly.

Upnorth
03-01-2017, 06:47 AM
How much could we get chris johnson (Arizona backup rb) for? He can't be a workhorse but between him, lacy and Montgomery that could be a heck of a good backfield

Oh, never mind he turns 32.....pass

red
03-01-2017, 07:19 AM
Guys been saying he thinks he can still make plays for about 6 years now

Plus he likes to blame everyone but himself for sucking

pbmax
03-01-2017, 03:46 PM
They have too much time on their hands department. Nagler and Cohen would like you to believe that Mike McCarthy's praise of TJ Lang and Eddie Lacy is "pressuring" the front office. Lang has been in line for a lot of praise by McCarthy since Sitton started making the Pro Bowl, but I am not sure this even qualifies.

Their theory: http://www.packersnews.com/videos/sports/nfl/packers/2017/03/01/mccarthy-takeaway-he's-pushing-front-office/98594852/

McCarthy presser (see 9:40): http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/McCarthy-Business-is-never-easy/c1e7ffaa-0bb0-41e5-9a67-8139e35fdac9?campaign=sf59474727_TW_C-Content-GB_CT-press+conference-GB_CT-Video-GB_sf59474727

pbmax
03-01-2017, 06:00 PM
^ He must have been more forthcoming in the small group interview after his PC (unless I just flat out missed it):

Jason Wilde‏Verified account @jasonjwilde 13m13 minutes ago
Re-reading McCarthy transcript. Called Lang "as fine an offensive lineman as I’ve had an opportunity to coach in 20+ years in this league."

Still don't read that a pressuring Ted.

Joemailman
03-01-2017, 06:08 PM
^ He must have been more forthcoming in the small group interview after his PC (unless I just flat out missed it):

Jason Wilde‏Verified account @jasonjwilde 13m13 minutes ago
Re-reading McCarthy transcript. Called Lang "as fine an offensive lineman as I’ve had an opportunity to coach in 20+ years in this league."

Still don't read that a pressuring Ted.

Maybe not, but Lang's agent might use that quote to pressure Ted. :-D

pbmax
03-01-2017, 11:06 PM
OK, maybe this quote explains it.

Jason Wilde‏ @jasonjwilde 9h9 hours ago
McCarthy also with strong reply to who'd play right guard if TJ Lang departs: "Those are hypotheticals. I’m counting on T.J. to come back."

Still file this under dodging with hypothetical objection, but at least they weren't making up the elevated level of support out of whole cloth.

arcilite
03-02-2017, 09:10 AM
Surprised Cohen found time to be at the combine between digging up old arrest records of anyone he can find

pbmax
03-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Surprised Cohen found time to be at the combine between digging up old arrest records of anyone he can find

Exactly what I first thought!

But McCarthy did seem to hit this theme. On Lacy he said:

Jason Wilde‏ @jasonjwilde 20h20 hours ago
McCarthy unequivocal on Lacy to #Packers beat writers in Indy: "We’d like to get Eddie back. He’s our guy. He’s one of our core players."

He has said previously he wanted other players back but that business comes first. So I still don't think this was pressure, but he's also not dancing around it.

Teamcheez1
03-02-2017, 09:25 AM
If you could only choose one player, would you rather have Lang or Perry back?

RashanGary
03-02-2017, 10:08 AM
If you could only choose one player, would you rather have Lang or Perry back?

Perry. Younger. Just hitting his prime. Lang is on the downside of his career.

pbmax
03-02-2017, 10:24 AM
Perry.

Zool
03-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Perry. Pass rushers seem to be much harder to find.

Rutnstrut
03-02-2017, 01:14 PM
I usually favor the big uglies (O-lineman) because no one else does and they have a very important job. But in the case of Lang or Perry, I would go with perry. The Packer D is so terrible that they can't afford to lose a solid player.

Smidgeon
03-02-2017, 05:08 PM
How much would Alshon Jeffrey cost?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/02/alshon-jeffery-looking-for-the-best-situation-to-win-a-championship-right-now/

gbgary
03-02-2017, 09:04 PM
Tom Silverstein says Packers should go after Peterson. if they're considering that they should just draft Mixon. younger, better, cheaper.

red
03-03-2017, 01:27 PM
Tom Silverstein says Packers should go after Peterson. if they're considering that they should just draft Mixon. younger, better, cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T7AqYSxZi0

Zool
03-03-2017, 02:23 PM
I guess I'd rather an assault on an adults face than a child's genitals. But maybe I'm weird?

red
03-03-2017, 03:33 PM
the thing that gets me about the video is how he walks out of the place like a stud after he destroys the little girl

pbmax
03-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Pete Dougherty, advocating for signing Peterson, took a reasonable approach to the argument, then stepped off a cliff. Earned himself an after publication edit and a rebuke, essentially calling him dumb.

Column as it is now with correction: http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2017/03/02/dougherty-packers-should-pursue-peterson/98641276/

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--0TABhUov--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/iwp6dutwbi1hlq7yvxpv.jpg

A paragraph in an earlier version of Pete Dougherty’s column that included a reference to Peterson’s punishment of his 4-year-old son being connected to America’s history of slavery was removed. It was poorly reasoned and insensitive. We apologize to all readers who were offended.

http://deadspin.com/columnist-suggests-adrian-peterson-hit-his-kid-because-1792924747

red
03-03-2017, 03:37 PM
when i lived in the south in the early 90's, it was still acceptable for the principle to beat the shit out of you with a paddle if you broke even a minor school rule

me and 3 other kids got it for throwing little erasers across the room at each other for fun

pbmax
03-03-2017, 03:53 PM
when i lived in the south in the early 90's, it was still acceptable for the principle to beat the shit out of you with a paddle if you broke even a minor school rule

me and 3 other kids got it for throwing little erasers across the room at each other for fun

Yeah, Dougherty has a thorough stew of bad information, bad dates, and poor cause and effect reasoning. There are arguments that is survives despite brutality suffered in the past (http://thyblackman.com/2012/03/15/whippings-in-the-black-community-and-its-ties-to-slavery/) and others think it survives because of fear of more current forms of violence (http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29261462).

There should be an alarm bell that goes off over the copy editors desk when a columnist hands in a four sentence paragraph about a social issue so complex it would take the entire paper to summarize effectively.

Fritz
03-03-2017, 04:34 PM
He may be a child-beater, but he's our child-beater. Is that what Daugherty wants, then?

It's all so crazy hypocritical. A third-stringer accused of punching his wife is a shitty human being; a star who punches his wife is a troubled guy with a tough past.

pbmax
03-04-2017, 12:36 PM
LeRoy to the rescue!

leroy butler‏ @leap36 19h19 hours ago
@PeteDougherty ,HE IS NOT RACIST,Pete has apologized for his misguided comments,but I wish fans can forgive him,I have!,I have known Pete

Cheesehead Craig
03-04-2017, 01:29 PM

Damn degenerate!

pbmax
03-06-2017, 10:38 AM
Charles Robinson‏Verified account @CharlesRobinson 13h13 hours ago
Multiple #NFL sources are expecting the free agent contract of #Packers guard TJ Lang to land between $8-$10 million per season.

This does not seem to accompany any reporting that a deal with Packers is imminent. Just gossip and possibly agent sending out signals.

gbgary
03-06-2017, 10:54 AM

you mean swat your ass a few times depending? yeah...no biggie imo. getting "licks" wasn't really that bad. don't get me wrong i'd rather've not got them then had. lol

you could put someone's eye out kid.

pbmax
03-06-2017, 03:31 PM
Bob McGinn‏Verified account @BobMcGinn 46m46 minutes ago
For months I thought Packers would re-sign G T.J. Lang. Now I think they'll let him walk and save the money ... for what, who knows?

Tretter.

Joemailman
03-06-2017, 04:20 PM
Davon House released by Jags. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000790770/article/davon-house-released-by-jacksonville-jaguars

Upnorth
03-06-2017, 04:35 PM
Davon House released by Jags. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000790770/article/davon-house-released-by-jacksonville-jaguars

on the cheap could be good depth. knows the system.

red
03-06-2017, 07:38 PM
on the cheap could be good depth. knows the system.

id bring him back in a second, hes better then the shit we had on the field this season

pbmax
03-06-2017, 09:22 PM
id bring him back in a second, hes better then the shit we had on the field this season

How much are you willing to pay him? If he hasn't slipped, he's going to get 2 years minimum and north of $5 mil.

If he has slipped, how cheap does he need to be?

pbmax
03-06-2017, 09:23 PM
Jason La Canfora‏ @JasonLaCanfora 28m28 minutes ago
NFLPA has alerted agents on RFA tender amounts - original round and/or ROFR: $1.8M; 2nd round + ROFR: $2.7M
1st Round + ROFR: $3.9M

bobblehead
03-06-2017, 10:49 PM

Got benched by the JAGUARS (and then cut).

Zool
03-07-2017, 01:02 AM
Got benched by the JAGUARS (and then cut).

Exactly this. Bring him and Tramon in! We're getting the band back together! Living in the past.

Pugger
03-07-2017, 07:58 AM
Why would we bring House back who couldn't cut it with the Jags? There has to be somebody better out there in FA - if TT even entertains the notion of going that route with this deep DB draft class.

pbmax
03-07-2017, 08:39 AM
I would be happy to argue for House to return if anyone can tell me why he was benched and why we expect he is the same player he was when he was frustrated Julio two years ago, before getting hurt in that Lambeau game.

pbmax
03-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Chargers to release D.J. Fluker (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/07/chargers-to-release-d-j-fluker/)

Another Guard/Tackle on the market after team decides to not pay 8+ million to him this year.

Albert Breer‏ @AlbertBreer
That means the 6th, 7th, 9th and 11th overall picks in the '13 draft have been dumped. And the Jags are likely letting Luke Joeckel walk.

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 5m5 minutes ago
DJ Fluker joins Nick Mangold, Brian Schwenke & others on the interior OL market. #Jets, #Titans, #Seahawks on Schwenke.

Zool
03-07-2017, 11:02 AM
I would be happy to argue for House to return if anyone can tell me why he was benched and why we expect he is the same player he was when he was frustrated Julio two years ago, before getting hurt in that Lambeau game.

Past performance is not indicative of future results

pbmax
03-07-2017, 02:21 PM
Demovsky says Packers reached out to House:

The Packers have contacted CB Davon House about a return to Green Bay, according to a source, and there is mutual interest. House, who spent the first four years of his career with the Packers, was just released by the Jaguars two years after he signed a four-year, $24,5 million deal in free agency. The Packers ranked 31st in passing yards allowed last season and played mostly with a trio of second-year corners — Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins and LaDarius Gunter.

-Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 19m19 minutes ago
#Packers are among the teams interested in CB Davon House, according to a source. House was released by the Jaguars yesterday.

Carolina_Packer
03-07-2017, 03:58 PM
Exactly this. Bring him and Tramon in! We're getting the band back together! Living in the past. I prefer Locomotive Breath, or Bungle in the Jungle.

Teamcheez1
03-07-2017, 04:01 PM
Letroy Guion now suspended for the first 4 games of 2017 season. We may need even more help on defense now if we decide to jettison him.

Zool
03-07-2017, 04:14 PM
Letroy Guion now suspended for the first 4 games of 2017 season. We may need even more help on defense now if we decide to jettison him.

I missed what he did this time?

Upnorth
03-07-2017, 04:31 PM
I missed what he did this time?

PED

pbmax
03-07-2017, 06:22 PM
Marvelous.

At least this time it was production adjacent.

pbmax
03-07-2017, 06:50 PM
Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 4h4 hours ago
#Packers tendered 3-technique Christian Ringo, according to a source. Ringo, a former 6th-round pick, was an exclusive rights free agent.

Aaron Schatz @FO_ASchatz 2h2 hours ago
Charles Johnson re-signing in Carolina just takes away one more option from a team that wants a veteran pass-rusher. High demand low supply.

Tom Silverstein‏Verified account @TomSilverstein 2h2 hours ago
As @AaronNagler pointed out, Guion is due $400,000 roster bonus on third day of league year. If #Packers don’t pay it, he’s a free agent.

GONNA KNOW SOON WHAT THEY THINK

Meanwhile, the Packers gave linebacker Joe Thomas and receiver Geronimo Allison their exclusive-rights free-agent tenders, according to a league source. Also tendered, according to Ryan Wood of the Green Bay Press-Gazette, is defensive tackle Christian Ringo. A deal with another exclusive-rights free-agent, punter Jacob Schum, was struck last week, according to ESPN.com’s Rob Demovsky.

pbmax
03-07-2017, 07:12 PM
Cook isn't signing for less than this.

Mike Garafolo‏ @MikeGarafolo
Jack Doyle's deal with the Colts: Three years, $19 million base value with another $2 million in incentives, source says.

bobblehead
03-07-2017, 07:19 PM
Exactly this. Bring him and Tramon in! We're getting the band back together! Living in the past.

BETH....what can I do?

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2017, 07:50 PM
Cook isn't signing for less than this.

Mike Garafolo‏ @MikeGarafolo
Jack Doyle's deal with the Colts: Three years, $19 million base value with another $2 million in incentives, source says.

Are you sure? Doyle had a good year, and I assume he's considerably younger than Cook.

pbmax
03-07-2017, 08:11 PM
Are you sure? Doyle had a good year, and I assume he's considerably younger than Cook.

59 catches on 75 targets, 584 yards, 9.9 ypc and 5 TD for Doyle

30 of 51, 377 yes, 12.6 ypc and 1 TD for Cook.

Doyle is younger, not sure he is more effective. Used better as Red Zone target though. With age, maybe this is the price?

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2017, 09:18 PM
Cook will be 30 in April. Doyle will be 27 in May. That makes a difference to NFL GMs. I know Cook has been healthy throughout his career, but he had a couple of injuries this past season. GMs are wary of guys about to turn 30 who are showing signs of breaking down.