PDA

View Full Version : Baranczyk: Lack of Coverage and Pass Rush no way to go through life

pbmax
01-24-2017, 03:41 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/baranczyk/2017/01/23/lack-pressure-dooms-packers-defense/96958846/

I agree with most of this. However, I don't see anything about the inability to play zone, which they were trying and failing to do early.

gbgary
01-24-2017, 05:22 PM
Randall spotted receiver Mohamed Sanu a huge cushion (10 yards), allowed an uncontested 15-yard reception on an out pattern, then shook his head, shrugged his shoulders and turned his palms up like he couldn’t believe what happened.

i remember that play. i'm sure he lined up where he did at capers' instruction. it's not like Packers dbs just freelance out there. perhaps the "palms up" were directed at capers as if "what am i supposed to do when you have me playing so far off of him?" i'm tired of harping on no bump and run from this team. i'm not going to mention it again.

pbmax
01-24-2017, 05:52 PM
i remember that play. i'm sure he lined up where he did at capers' instruction. it's not like Packers dbs just freelance out there. perhaps the "palms up" were directed at capers as if "what am i supposed to do when you have me playing so far off of him?" i'm tired of harping on no bump and run from this team. i'm not going to mention it again.

Whitt has said he leaves his CBs room to decide whether to get close and bump or play back and press.

But if they were in zone coverage outside, he might not have a choice.

Rutnstrut
01-24-2017, 06:37 PM
Whitt has said he leaves his CBs room to decide whether to get close and bump or play back and press.

But if they were in zone coverage outside, he might not have a choice.

Well he shouldn't give them that choice, since they are obviously idiots.

red
01-24-2017, 09:11 PM
That article could have been written by me.

I said in the game thread I think it was that Randall's problems isn't injury, it's between his ears(and I don't mean he's dumb)

His confidence is gone, he's playing scared, and I don't know if he can turn that around

Carolina_Packer
01-24-2017, 10:40 PM
Red, do you think Randall could be giving a lot of cushion because he couldn't cut and change direction quickly after his knee and groin injuries?

It's great when guys want to get back out there as quick as they can, and they may be medically cleared to do so, but lingering effects of injuries clearly robbed some guys like Randall, Matthews, and obviously Perry with the club. The players are never going to talk about injuries slowing them, but it's obvious when you look at the way some of them performed. Like Adams in 2015 when the ankle hobbled him. The challenge with guys who come back is their ability to play at a high level, instead of just being available and playing, which I think is the case with several players.

red
01-25-2017, 07:11 AM
Randall was fixed and should have been improving every week

Instead his play got worse

The injuries also don't explain why he's always throwing a fit after every big play, trying to figure out where the help is

They also don't explain some of his half assed attempts at tackling

Joemailman
01-25-2017, 07:37 AM
No need to sugarcoat it. Randall had a bad year. For a number of reasons. Now we'll see if he can do what Davante Adams did. Put it behind him and become the player TT thought he was when he was drafted. Last year I thought Adams had gotten lazy with his route running. Whatever the problem was, injuries or technique or effort, he totally turned that around. Randall needs to do the same.

yetisnowman
01-25-2017, 08:57 AM
Randall may be the worst tackling corner I've ever seen. Injuries had no impact on that. Now if the scheme or his injuries call for his best position to be giving guys 12 yard cushions then he shouldn't be out there. So we have a guy that is an atrocious tackler, and frequently giving too much space and is way out of position to make any drive stopping plays. Sounds like a guy to build around.

Sparkey
01-25-2017, 09:17 AM
That article could have been written by me.

I said in the game thread I think it was that Randall's problems isn't injury, it's between his ears(and I don't mean he's dumb)

His confidence is gone, he's playing scared, and I don't know if he can turn that around

Now when I watch him play, I think the groin surgery has gotten in his head and he doesn't trust that it is fixed. Watching him back peddle, he looks hesitant and like he is trying to mitigate or prevent another injury.

Sometimes the hardest part of an injury is trusting your body enough to turn your hips, plant and exert without out fear of it giving out. Its no different than an ACL or ankle injury. Physically it could be fixed, but the emotional hurdle to getting back to where you dont think about it is the hardest.

From experience "after breaking my patella" it took months after the knee was physically 100% before I started actually running like normal. After sitting so long, even if its "fixed" it still feels different and it takes time to mentally get yourself to where that feeling starts becoming normal again.

Upnorth
01-25-2017, 09:27 AM
Randall may be the worst tackling corner I've ever seen. Injuries had no impact on that. Now if the scheme or his injuries call for his best position to be giving guys 12 yard cushions then he shouldn't be out there. So we have a guy that is an atrocious tackler, and frequently giving too much space and is way out of position to make any drive stopping plays. Sounds like a guy to build around.

While he may not be the worst, he is now where near an average starter from 2015
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/player/43035/damarious-randall
Further mention of his poor sucsess rate in 2015 found here,

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/best-cornerback-stats-2015

I doubt there was improvment in 2016 from what I saw...

Spaulding
01-25-2017, 09:52 AM
I guess the question I have regarding our lack of coverage is the following:

1) Is the problem that Whitt isn't very good coaching up the CB's?
2) Is the problem Caper's schemes?
3) Is the problem that TT has drafted stiffs in the secondary?

Although I can't give TT a free pass, I have to believe that it's not really on him for the poor play as it seems to be communication based most often. This would mean it's falls on Whitt or Capers with me leaning towards the latter being at root of the issue.

Some say Capers has worked wonders this year with all the injuries but if that was the case and it certainly has some relevance, but ultimately I'm privately hoping that McCarthy moves on from Dom and we have a new DC for the 2017 season.