PDA

View Full Version : It Was Fun, But . . .

Fritz
01-25-2017, 12:52 PM
. . . it sure was hard keeping up that reverse-whammy gig for so many weeks. But I did learn a little bit.

I am slightly pessimistic by nature, so I usually do think the Packers will have a tough time. But as PB said recently, this is in large part because pessimists are optimists who like their good news to be a surprise. So I always, always, root for the Packers, but am often pessimistic. My wife gives me grief about this. When the Packers went up big on the Cowboys, she started with that "well, they have it in the bag now" stuff, to which I simply asked her whether she remembered the 2014 NFC Championship game.

I really did think, way back earlier this season, this team would lose to Seattle, so I wrote that, and the Packers won convincingly. As the season went on, this became, as many of you recognized, my little superstitious routine - regaling you all with my certain knowledge that not only would the Packers lose, that I knew how and or why they would.

I thought it would be fun, too, because of course if you keep predicting a team will lose, eventually they will, and then you can give the ol' I-told-you-so speech. But it was actually pretty wearing to have to constantly be so damn negative (apologies to Tex and others who got sick of it, but I really didn't want to change my ways and threaten the whole run). It kinda sucked the energy and even a little joy out of my Packerrats time, but I sure did like the winning, and I'm superstitious enough to think I had to keep it going. I even had a big double-reverse whammy ready if the Packers had beaten Atlanta.

But I actually didn't get too worked up watching the Atlanta game, because it never really was a game. Unlike Seattle in 2014, which left me haunted for months with "what if's" and "why nots," this game never looked like it hinged on any single turning point. The Packer defense just sucked and the team was out of gas.

But I'm telling you, it can't be that much fun to be someone like Wist. That constant negativity really did take its toll on me (my sacrifice to the Packer cause). I am glad, then, that on the whole I enjoyed the ride the team took us on this season - they got further than probably any of us thought when this team was 4 - 6. Yeah, the defense really stinks, despite all those first-round picks, and I don't know if it's Ted's crummy picks or Dom's old ways or Darren Perry's drinking or what, but I'm not sure I'm ready to hash all that out yet.

I really enjoyed the season, all in all, and I wish they'd had just a little more left in the tank so we could be talking about how to beat the Patriots instead of whose fault it all was.

Joemailman
01-25-2017, 01:58 PM
Thanks for doing the dirty work Fritz.

GBkrzygrl
01-25-2017, 02:07 PM
A lot of times I will take a pessimistic perspective in hopes that if we lose I won't be terribly disappointed. I didn't think we had a chance against Dallas and predicted that we would lose. That was the most fun game I have seen in a long time....in particular because we won.:clap:

The Atlanta game I knew that it was a long shot and the way the game started it was no surprise. Once I realized that we couldn't right the ship I just focused on the way the season ended. Whoda thunk that we would have gone to the championship when we were going through that slump.

We're only one week removed from Packer football and I miss it already.

KYPack
01-25-2017, 02:18 PM
Well, THX Fritz.

Somebody had to take the charge.

I had soooo much fun watching the Dallas game. I was freakin' exhausted after that baby.

I had my own natural pessimism flowing all post season.

The Dirty Bird game was a downer.

I was rooting like hell for a 2010 reply.

We trash the ATL in their place and whip the Steelers in the SB.

That turned out to be too heavy a fantasy for the football Gods and none of it happened.

yetisnowman
01-25-2017, 03:27 PM
It's great that we went on a big win streak to close out the year and the playoffs. Still at the end of the day we went 10-6 and wet the bed in the NFC championship game. I think the streaky nature of the season makes it easy to forget that we were super bowl favorites at the beginning of the year. Yes injuries....but I'm still very disappointed in this teams uneven performance and lack of focus at times this year.

Upnorth
01-25-2017, 04:15 PM
At the beginning of the season if you told me that we would make but get blown out of ht eNFC Championship game and win the NFCN and tie the series with the bears and score the first ever touchdown in the new vikings stadium and take the lead in the dallas series I would have toasted the year with great relish.
If winning the superbowl is the only way to be happy then you are a spoiled fan imo...

gbgary
01-25-2017, 04:34 PM
A lot of times I will take a pessimistic perspective in hopes that if we lose I won't be terribly disappointed. I didn't think we had a chance against Dallas and predicted that we would lose. That was the most fun game I have seen in a long time....in particular because we won.:clap:

The Atlanta game I knew that it was a long shot and the way the game started it was no surprise. Once I realized that we couldn't right the ship I just focused on the way the season ended. Whoda thunk that we would have gone to the championship when we were going through that slump.

We're only one week removed from Packer football and I miss it already.

yup...draft can't get here soon enough.

Joemailman
01-25-2017, 04:35 PM
yup...draft can't get here soon enough.

What? Aren't you excited about free agency? :)

Joemailman
01-25-2017, 04:39 PM
At the beginning of the season if you told me that we would make but get blown out of ht eNFC Championship game and win the NFCN and tie the series with the bears and score the first ever touchdown in the new vikings stadium and take the lead in the dallas series I would have toasted the year with great relish.
If winning the superbowl is the only way to be happy then you are a spoiled fan imo...

There is the question though of whether they're getting any closer to another Lombardi Trophy. Even though they made it to the NFC Title Game, that game felt a lot like the loss to SF 4 years ago.

gbgary
01-25-2017, 05:31 PM
What? Aren't you excited about free agency? :)

http://www.fototime.com/CF4C358C1C0A43A/orig.gif

yetisnowman
01-25-2017, 05:54 PM

Its just that we have had an MvP caliber qb and have had top 3 odds to win the super bowl every year since 2010. Zero appearances in the super bowl during that time is a big disappointment. This season didnt exist in a vacuum. Even if it did, it took an 8 game win streak to make it respectable.

Fritz
01-25-2017, 06:11 PM
It was a fun run, but you gotta wonder what it is about McCarthy's psyche that his teams seem to need to dig themselves out of a hole in order to begin to play well. Except 2011, when the offense was a juggernaut but the defense was easier than your sister.

Bretsky
01-25-2017, 09:29 PM
Ah Fritzy...it's kinda fun being a Realist !!!

George Cumby
01-26-2017, 08:18 AM
Thanks for carrying the load, Fritz. Your sacrifices weren't in vain.

texaspackerbacker
01-26-2017, 08:33 AM
Admit it, Fritz. You really believed your shit. It took nine weeks, but you finally got it right - unfortunately.

MadtownPacker
01-26-2017, 07:26 PM
What that fuck?? This sorry bitch expects props for something? Shit the NFCC was obviously all his fault so really we should be telling him how he should eat shit and die.

CaptainKickass
01-27-2017, 12:55 AM
. . . it sure was hard keeping up that reverse-whammy gig for so many weeks. But I did learn a little bit.

I am slightly pessimistic by nature, so I usually do think the Packers will have a tough time. But as PB said recently, this is in large part because pessimists are optimists who like their good news to be a surprise. So I always, always, root for the Packers, but am often pessimistic. My wife gives me grief about this. When the Packers went up big on the Cowboys, she started with that "well, they have it in the bag now" stuff, to which I simply asked her whether she remembered the 2014 NFC Championship game.

I really did think, way back earlier this season, this team would lose to Seattle, so I wrote that, and the Packers won convincingly. As the season went on, this became, as many of you recognized, my little superstitious routine - regaling you all with my certain knowledge that not only would the Packers lose, that I knew how and or why they would.

I thought it would be fun, too, because of course if you keep predicting a team will lose, eventually they will, and then you can give the ol' I-told-you-so speech. But it was actually pretty wearing to have to constantly be so damn negative (apologies to Tex and others who got sick of it, but I really didn't want to change my ways and threaten the whole run). It kinda sucked the energy and even a little joy out of my Packerrats time, but I sure did like the winning, and I'm superstitious enough to think I had to keep it going. I even had a big double-reverse whammy ready if the Packers had beaten Atlanta.

But I actually didn't get too worked up watching the Atlanta game, because it never really was a game. Unlike Seattle in 2014, which left me haunted for months with "what if's" and "why nots," this game never looked like it hinged on any single turning point. The Packer defense just sucked and the team was out of gas.

But I'm telling you, it can't be that much fun to be someone like Wist. That constant negativity really did take its toll on me (my sacrifice to the Packer cause). I am glad, then, that on the whole I enjoyed the ride the team took us on this season - they got further than probably any of us thought when this team was 4 - 6. Yeah, the defense really stinks, despite all those first-round picks, and I don't know if it's Ted's crummy picks or Dom's old ways or Darren Perry's drinking or what, but I'm not sure I'm ready to hash all that out yet.

I really enjoyed the season, all in all, and I wish they'd had just a little more left in the tank so we could be talking about how to beat the Patriots instead of whose fault it all was.

I am Groot.

Tony Oday
01-27-2017, 08:05 AM
Good work, tried to help with it. I really thought the Packers had a shot in Atl, instead they got shot.

mmmdk
01-27-2017, 05:57 PM
I hear you, Fritz - 100% :tup:

Fritz
01-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Well, I do wonder if holding back on my ultra- super double- reverse whammy cost us a berth in the Super Bowl.

Maybe I should resign in disgrace.

pbmax
01-31-2017, 09:32 AM
I am Groot.

We could have used Groot in coverage.

#botanisthumor

Fritz
01-31-2017, 10:26 AM
What that fuck?? This sorry bitch expects props for something? Shit the NFCC was obviously all his fault so really we should be telling him how he should eat shit and die.

If you were a Steelers' fan you'd be giving me props and not whining about how your team didn't get far enough, you saggy, puckered swatch of nut-encasing flesh.

Zool
01-31-2017, 11:13 AM
If you were a Steelers' fan you'd be giving me props and not whining about how your team didn't get far enough, you saggy, puckered swatch of nut-encasing flesh.

That's the most descriptive way I've ever heard someone called a scrotum. Kudos

http://creativearc.com/assets/images/Blog/575-1989Kudos.jpg