PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Packers Offseason Non-Draft Non-FAs

pbmax
01-26-2017, 11:00 AM
M3 End of Season Presser

no coaching changes yet. EDIT: WRONG: KEEP READING!

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 17m17 minutes ago
"2016 Confidants" was theme to season, MM says. Had countdown each week to the number of days to the Super Bowl.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT CONFIDANTS MEANS IN THIS CONTEXT

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 16m16 minutes ago
McCarthy on the Super Bowl: "That's the ultimate goal and we fell short."

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 15m15 minutes ago
McCarthy: We reached a very high level of success this season...but we did not reach the ultimate goal of winning the Super Bowl.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 16m16 minutes ago
"I would say our team had a successful season without a doubt. I don't know why we're even questioning that." But did not reach @SuperBowl.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 14m14 minutes ago
Offense overcame injuries. Defense couldn't do the same with limitations at cornerback.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 15m15 minutes ago
McCarthy said he considers pass rushers and corners the two primary positions on defense. #Packers clearly lacked the latter this season.

I GOT NEWS FOR YOU, YOU LACKED THE FORMER AS WELL

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 15m15 minutes ago
McCarthy said he spoke with Ty Montgomery during his exit interview. Montgomery is a running back. He will change his number. #Packers

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 15m15 minutes ago
Montgomery is a running back and will change his number. Will flex out and play WR but he will be "on the depth chart as a running back."

More MM on corners: Randall and Rollins did lot of good things as rookies. Expected them to take Year 2 jump but "multiple injuries" slowed.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 14m14 minutes ago
McCarthy said the history of players making jumps from first to second seasons influences roster building. Injuries slowed Randall/Rollins.

I WOULD CUT EXPECTATIONS ABOUT THIS JUMP BY 50% IMMEDIATELY

MM remains confident that Randall and Rollins will develop into quality players. Will work out together in Cali. in offseason.

Sam Shields has still not cleared the concussion protocol, according to McCarthy. "He needs to get healthy for him and his family." #Packers

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 13m13 minutes ago
MM would "love to see Eddie (Lacy) back." He'll be a free agent and isn't healthy yet.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 12m12 minutes ago
McCarthy said he hasn't entered the evaluation process of his coaching staff yet. "I feel really good about the job our coaching staff did."

Guiness
01-26-2017, 11:24 AM
Tom Clements has announced he's leaving. His contract was up.

It appears Dom Capers will be back but Tom Clements won't. "That will be the one change to our staff," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. Clements' contract expired and, according to McCarthy, he "is going to move on to some other interests."

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

Doesn't sound like he was pushed. 63 years old, retiring? I don't know what this means for the team, he was an OC on a team where the HC called the plays.

Not sure why Demovsky felt the need to mention Capers in that comment.

pbmax
01-26-2017, 11:32 AM
Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 11m11 minutes ago
MM on Capers' future: Hasn't evaluated the staff yet. "I feel really good about the job our staff did."

McCarthy: "Dom Caper is an outstanding football coach. That doesn't change. He had a tough challenge in front of him this season."

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 15m15 minutes ago
"This is no time for drama." Like he's done in past, MM says Capers is an outstanding coach. Again points to injury challenge on defense.

Tom Clements is "moving on to other interests." Contract has expired. MM thanks for "incredible 11 years."

ITS EITHER THIS OR LACY INTEREST THAT IS BEST NEWS SO FAR

McCarthy said RT Bryan Bulaga did NOT sustain a concussion against the Falcons. He was evaluated but passed the protocol. #Packers

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 22m22 minutes ago
McCarthy said RT Bryan Bulaga did NOT sustain a concussion against the Falcons. He was evaluated but passed the protocol. #Packers

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 20m20 minutes ago
McCarthy: Morgan Burnett had his best year as a Packer....Communicator on the back end, keeps everything going.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 20m20 minutes ago
McCarthy said Clay Matthews was "definitely hampered by injuries" this season. He doesn't want to label Matthews as an ILB or OLB. #Packers

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 20m20 minutes ago
MM: "Matthews moves around. He doesn't line up in one spot. If he doesn't have the injuries, you would've seen it more this year" #Packers

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 19m19 minutes ago
Clay Matthews: Will move around. MM seems annoyed by the outside/inside question. "We need to move him around."

I AGREE WITH THIS. NOT SURE HE IS HEALTHY ENOUGH ANYMORE FOR IT TO WORK

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 32m32 minutes ago
McCarthy said he thinks Aaron Rodgers brought his energy and intensity to another level in the NFC championship game. Stats aside. #Packers

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 32m32 minutes ago
MM on Rodgers' "all-in" comment: Took game to another level vs. Atl. "We need that and that's a great example" of trying to elevate team.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 31m31 minutes ago
McCarthy on Rodgers: He took his game to another level. The energy & passion he had in the NFC Championship Game...that game speaks volumes.

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 31m31 minutes ago
MM on fixing defense: Starts with pass defense. Will spend more time on OTAs on that phase. "We might not run the ball until July."

OK, IF YOU ARE GOING TO OVEREMPHASIZE SOMETHING, COVERAGE IS THE AREA TO DO IT IN, OK WITH THIS

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 31m31 minutes ago
McCarthy said the defense will spend more time on defending the pass in OTAs and minicamp. "That's already been decided." #Packers

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 31m31 minutes ago
"We're not far from where we want to be," MM says. So any changes won't be huge but will look at everything.

McCarthy: I think it's clear we're not far from where we want to be...We're gonna look at everything. I know there are areas we can improve.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 29m29 minutes ago
Mike McCarthy on if Ted Thompson is coming back: "Ted is back. I don't see any change in him."

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 29m29 minutes ago
McCarthy on GM Ted Thompson: "Ted is back. ... I don't see any change in him as far as his vision." #Packers

Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 30m30 minutes ago
McCarthy: Ted is back. I don't see any change in him as far as his vision. Ted's at the Senior Bowl. ... The focus is on next year #Packers

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 35m35 minutes ago
MM on TT: "He's not the youngest cat but he's working."

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 35m35 minutes ago
McCarthy on questions about Thompson's future: "The questions are fair, he's not the youngest cat anymore." But he's not going anywhere.

Michael Cohen ‏@Michael_Cohen13 32m32 minutes ago
McCarthy said Aaron Rodgers is the best player in the NFL, "but it takes more than one player to win a championship. We need to improve."

pbmax
01-26-2017, 11:41 AM
McCarthy: We all want to win the world championship. I can promise you & the fans that we're doing everything we can to get that done.

Rutnstrut
01-26-2017, 12:04 PM
McCarthy: We all want to win the world championship. I can promise you & the fans that we're doing everything we can to get that done.

Well that's a lie. They aren't doing everything.

bobblehead
01-26-2017, 07:27 PM
Well that's a lie. They aren't doing everything.

Let me rephrase: We are doing everything a rational person would do...we realize fans are not rational and want irrational actions.

pbmax
01-26-2017, 08:03 PM
JS Comments ‏@JSComments 5m5 minutes ago
Clay you suck too...Instead of eating with your mouth open in a State Farm commercial...Trying conditioning.

THIS PERSON WAS SO FRUSTRATED THEY TOOK THEIR METAPHOR AND MIXED A CAESAR SALAD WITH IT

gbgary
01-26-2017, 08:20 PM
MM was pretty funny today. barked at one guy "weren't you listening to what i just said?"
said his personnel chart is pretty and TT looks at it, more than his own, because it's much better because he's so artistic.
oh...and he gets the "clocks and windows" thing.

pbmax
01-27-2017, 07:04 PM
Since the Packer FA thread has not started, I am putting this here.

Green Bay Packers ‏@packers 2h2 hours ago
More
#Packers sign long snapper Taybor Pepper: http://pckrs.com/dxk7

He might be a futures contract anyway.

woodbuck27
01-28-2017, 08:35 AM

That is MM and his typical Spin. He does a great job covering TT's ass and his way too conservative attitude.

pbmax
01-30-2017, 10:21 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/01/29/mcginn-2016-packers-offensive-player-grades/97137716/

EDDIE LACY: The Packers laid down the law last year at this time and Lacy made an effort and lost some weight. It appeared as if he had put it all back on by October. Lacy looked even more immense on the sidelines in Atlanta at the NFC title game. No team wants a skill-position player to be that overweight and presumably out of shape. There’s little doubt it contributed to the ankle injury that knocked him out for the season in Game 5. He was slamming the ball between the tackles, too. Even with all their in-house resources, the Packers failed to keep Lacy’s weight down. It’s on the team as much as it’s on the player. Now the team gets a do-over. Is there any point to bringing him back? Hasn’t this story been told? Grade: C.

Fritz
01-31-2017, 10:44 AM
There is a possibility that, as humans often do with the passage of time, Lacy will mature and realize that it is in his best interest to get control of his weight and health. The story has not been quite finished.

red
01-31-2017, 01:28 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/01/29/mcginn-2016-packers-offensive-player-grades/97137716/

yeah, thats no good, but something i said might happen months ago

anyone have a picture of him at the game?

pbmax
02-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Bob McGinn ‏@BobMcGinn 1h1 hour ago
Waiting for the announcement from the #Packers that ticket prices have been raised for next season. They've done that seven years in a row.

At this point, Bob is just refusing the live in the world inhabited by reality.

pbmax
02-09-2017, 01:27 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/09/john-dorsey-says-hes-committed-to-kansas-city-for-the-long-haul/

Dorsey with a non-commitment commitment on staying in Kansas City.

"Until little Jack graduates from school ...." Kid is six.

pbmax
02-09-2017, 01:34 PM
Packers by the numbers.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/mcginn/2017/02/09/mcginn-2016-packers-numbers/97661344/

In 2010, the Packers’ last championship season, they totaled 240 pressures, which are defined here as the total of sacks, knockdowns and hurries. Since then, their totals have been 184 in 2011, 202 in ’12, 171 in ’13, 218 in ’14, 210 in ’15 and 213 this season.

Nick Perry led the team in the vital category of pressures with 36. Rounding out the top five were Julius Peppers, 32½; Mike Daniels and Datone Jones, 31½, and Clay Matthews, 28½.

Then there was a big drop-off to Dean Lowry, 8½; Micah Hyde, eight; Kenny Clark and Kyler Fackrell, 6½; Morgan Burnett, 5½; Joe Thomas, five; Jake Ryan, four; Jayrone Elliott, three; Blake Martinez, two; Letroy Guion, Mike Pennel and Kentrell Brice, one, and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Quinten Rollins, one-half.

Among those without a pressure were Christian Ringo, LaDarius Gunter and Damarious Randall.

King Friday
02-09-2017, 08:47 PM
There is a possibility that, as humans often do with the passage of time, Lacy will mature and realize that it is in his best interest to get control of his weight and health. The story has not been quite finished.

He was staring at a contract year last summer and didn't do enough to get himself in shape. He did some...he didn't do enough.

I don't think "maturing" is going to fix the guy at this point. RBs in the league don't last long enough for teams to wait on them to grow up. He's not sobering up from frat boy life to raise a family in his 30s.

Deputy Nutz
02-10-2017, 09:04 AM
I don't think Lacy's weight was a concern last year. He could always lose a few pounds but he ran hard and was quicker with his cuts and in the open field before the ankle injury. The problem with Lacy is that he isn't a consistent professional in regards to his body. He simply isn't dedicated enough for the Packers to depend on him. I think he just enjoys the other aspects of life just a bit too much for NFL teams to rely on him.

pbmax
02-11-2017, 07:46 AM
James starks ‏@James44Starks 11h11 hours ago
I want 2 thank the Packers for these past 7 yrs. I want 2 thank God, family, friends, teammates & fans. I'll b bk soon #ItsNotOver #Blessed

vince
02-11-2017, 08:24 AM
James starks ‏@James44Starks 11h11 hours ago
I want 2 thank the Packers for these past 7 yrs. I want 2 thank God, family, friends, teammates & fans. I'll b bk soon #ItsNotOver #Blessed
7 yrs is a good run for a back-up RB with his injury history. #SoundsCallousButItsOver

Pugger
02-11-2017, 08:48 AM
yeah, thats no good, but something i said might happen months ago

anyone have a picture of him at the game?

Here is a photo of him at the NFCC game in Atlanta and I don't think he is enormous here.

http://www.packers.com/photos/photo-gallery/2016-in-photos-RB-Eddie-Lacy/523b8fde-77fc-48c1-8dd0-1cdbd7d08ba9#385e74ba-3f08-457c-8c01-ed3ac4dff918

pbmax
02-16-2017, 01:09 PM
Writer on writer violence, Cliff Christl whacks Bob McGinn with a white out bottle thrown across the room.

A recent Milwaukee Journal Sentinel story about the 1996 Packers stated that when they won the Super Bowl Lambeau “still was encircled by the corrugated steel fence dating to its construction in 1957.” For the record, that was incorrect and an example of how Packers history gets distorted when writers don’t verify what they present as facts.

Read more: http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-cliffs-notes/article-1/Lambeau-Field-started-with-a-chain-link-fence-around-it/43d7a71a-a608-482e-9371-3535caee2937#ixzz4YsQRjjFY

Freak Out
02-16-2017, 01:11 PM
FAKE NEWS!

red
02-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Here is a photo of him at the NFCC game in Atlanta and I don't think he is enormous here.

http://www.packers.com/photos/photo-gallery/2016-in-photos-RB-Eddie-Lacy/523b8fde-77fc-48c1-8dd0-1cdbd7d08ba9#385e74ba-3f08-457c-8c01-ed3ac4dff918

thanks for finding that, i've been looking like crazy for a picture from the game

he looks no where near as bad as i was expecting him to be

red
02-16-2017, 03:02 PM
FAKE NEWS!

"alternate facts"

pbmax
02-17-2017, 09:40 AM
Aaron Nagler @AaronNagler
Here's @KeeganMKey absolutely nailing it as @AaronRodgers12's "Anger Translator"

From NFL Honors show

https://vimeo.com/204550282

red
02-17-2017, 01:25 PM
yup, pretty much nailed it

pbmax
03-05-2017, 12:10 PM
Status of Year 2 Jumpers according to Mike McCarthy

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-daily-news-story/article-1/Packers-counting-on-progress-from-defensive-draft-picks/c9654911-0ecc-4ab5-a95a-3c1fe7e11f14?campaign=sf59698348_TW_C-Content-GB_CT-Stories-GB_sf59698348

1. Kenny Clark - 5 QB pressures in 3 playoff games

“Kenny, if you just watch the progression of the season, his arrow was straight up,” McCarthy said at this year’s combine of Clark, the Packers’ first-round pick in 2016. “I thought he played extremely well the last six weeks. That’s something we need to build off of.”

2. Dean Lowry - 2 QB sacks in December

“He came on at the end of the year,” McCarthy said of Lowry, who recorded his two sacks in back-to-back weeks in December. “Get another year of weightlifting, and he can play the one and the three (technique).”

"We think its good cost savings that he can wear short sleeve shirts as proper business attire"

3. Kyler Holy Mackrell - second on team in coverage tackles (nine)

McCarthy sees Fackrell, a third-round edge-rusher from Utah State, with a “good frame” (6-5, 245) suited for “10-12 pounds of lean muscle mass” this offseason. His biggest rookie highlight was a strip-sack of Giants QB Eli Manning in Week 5. ~snipped~

“If he doesn’t get hurt he probably would have played a ton more,” McCarthy said. “He was playing really well when he got that hamstring.”

4. Blake Martinez - somehow pushed to bench by Joe Thomas*, after Martinez was injured and missed 3 games

“I think all these guys that fight through injuries, particularly when they’re young, early in their career, it needs to be evaluated and make sure they’re preparing themselves to get through that phase,” McCarthy said.

*Joe Thomas takes on the proud mantle of the Packer ILB who is at once, the most sound and reliable, but also the one who needs to be replaced the quickest.

red
03-05-2017, 12:38 PM
one of the many stories i'm starting to see about why green bay should cut CM3

http://lombardiave.com/2017/02/23/green-bay-packers-clay-matthews-cut/

Turn on Matthews’ tape from the past two seasons and you’ll struggle to find a player worth such a staggering salary.

and the one i read today

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/espn-cutting-clay-matthews-would-be-bold-offseason-move/

Matthews, who will be 31 next season, probably has one or two more solid years in him before age really takes its toll, but it's always better to move on from a player a year too soon than a year too late.

and

Matthews ended with career lows in tackles and sacks, and dropped to playing just 46.4 percent of Green Bay's defensive snaps

red
03-05-2017, 12:48 PM
and one talking about how both mathews and cobbs deals are hurting the team

http://lombardiave.com/2017/02/26/green-bay-packers-clay-matthews-randall-cobb-contracts/

pbmax
03-06-2017, 08:52 AM
Per NFL.com, Peppers wants to play this year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000790600/article/julius-peppers-plans-to-play-16th-nfl-season

Teamcheez1
03-06-2017, 10:18 AM
and one talking about how both mathews and cobbs deals are hurting the team

http://lombardiave.com/2017/02/26/green-bay-packers-clay-matthews-randall-cobb-contracts/

We have zero cap hit on Matthews if the Packers decide to release him after the 2017 season. He is being overpaid based on his recent production ($15M with $4M in dead money), but looking at the options, I think they bite the bullet and see if he stays healthy and produces. All bets are off for 2018.

I don't see any changes with Cobb for 2017 either.

Then again, I could be completely wrong and TT jettisons one of them prior to the season like Sitton.

Teamcheez1
03-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Per NFL.com, Peppers wants to play this year.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000790600/article/julius-peppers-plans-to-play-16th-nfl-season

Does Peppers have anything left in the tank at 37? How much do you pay him (how much does he want) as a situational player?
I don't see the Packers keeping him around at this stage of his career unless it was at a potential veteran's minimum contract.

pbmax
03-06-2017, 12:46 PM
House was finally, officially, cut from the Jaguars after they could find no one willing to trade for him and his deal. So Ted was 1/2 in the CB FA shedding of 2015.

Now all of Packer writer Twitter wants him re-signed. No one can answer why he was benched though.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/jaguars-cut-cornerback-davon-house/

pbmax
03-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Packers C Corey Linsley is recovering from offseason ankle surgery, according to two sources. One source described it as a cleanup of loose particles stemming from his 2015 high ankle sprain. The surgery was performed by Dr. Robert Anderson in Charlotte. Linsley is expected to be ready to return by mid-May but there's the chance the Packers will hold him out until training camp. Linsley missed the first half of the 2016 season because of a hamstring injury that one source said was due to compensation from the ankle.

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer

pbmax
03-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Rodgers radio interview with local ESPN:

Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 2h2 hours ago
Aaron Rodgers is on ESPN radio in Madison. He reiterates the "all-in" comment and says #Packers could add players in/outside of the season.

Rodgers says the difference between winning the Super Bowl or losing in the NFC championship game comes down to "a few plays or players."

Rodgers credits the emergence of Ty Montgomery, Jared Cook and Davante Adams for getting the offense going near the midway point of 2016.

Rodgers said he appealed the facemask call from the NFC championship game that triggered the only fine of his career. Confident he will win.

Rodgers talking OT rules in context of Seattle/Arizona losses. "Those are really tough on us when you feel like you have all the momentum."

Rodgers did not advocate for college football OT rules but he said the college system is "fair" and an intriguing way to decide games.

Rodgers said Clay Matthews, David Bakhtiari, Beau Sandland and former Packer Andy Mulumba all work out at the same facility in California.

Rodgers is focusing on a ketogenic diet right now that is designed to train his body to burn fat rather than muscle. It's a low-carb diet.

FIRST, I THINK THE ONLY WAY TO GET YOUR BODY TO NOT BURN CARBS FIRST IS TO BE OUT OF CARBS. SECOND, KETOSIS IS DIFFICULT ON YOUR KIDNEYS. BE PREPARED FOR RODGERS TO BE ON INJURY REPORT IN 2022 FOR DIALYSIS.

Rodgers said the desire to play into his 40s is due to 1) understanding his body better and 2) enjoying football now more than ever

Rodgers likens Jared Cook to James Starks, who was "one of my all-time favorite teammates." Cook's love for football was renewed this year.

Rodgers has kept in touch with T.J. Lang and says Lang should be a lifetime Green Bay Packer. Same way he felt about John Kuhn.

Rodgers hints at a desire to restructure his contract based on the amount of money current FA quarterbacks are receiving in today's market.

pbmax
03-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Jersey Al - GBP‏ @JerseyAlGBP 10m10 minutes ago

One forgotten guy on the #Packers roster to help replace Peppers/Jones is Reggie Gilbert. Thought he showed good pass rush ability in camp.

Sparkey
03-15-2017, 09:39 AM
House was finally, officially, cut from the Jaguars after they could find no one willing to trade for him and his deal. So Ted was 1/2 in the CB FA shedding of 2015.

Now all of Packer writer Twitter wants him re-signed. No one can answer why he was benched though.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/06/jaguars-cut-cornerback-davon-house/

House said they switched from press man coverage to more off zone and he struggled with the transition as he has played mostly press man in his career. BTW, GB plays a lot of press-man coverage on the outside.

pbmax
03-15-2017, 09:41 AM
House said they switched from press man coverage to more off zone and he struggled with the transition as he has played mostly press man in his career. BTW, GB plays a lot of press-man coverage on the outside.

Yep. That bit of news was the best that could be hoped for in explanation of his demotion.

Of course, it continues a disturbing trend of the Packers ability to attract DBs who CANNOT play zone to save their life, but at least he has a shot of playing the dominant coverage well.

pbmax
03-29-2017, 09:49 AM
M3 sit down interview at League Meetings

Chris Roth‏ @rothchris 24m24 minutes ago
MM says Browns got an excellent center in @JCTretter

MM: Clay needs to be moved around, we can list him anywhere on depth chart, but we have to move him around

MM: pass rush, we lost a lot with loss of Peppers and Jones, have to look at guys up front. Fackrell and Elliott need to step up

MM: Perry just needs to have another healthy, solid offseason. Elliott will play on defense as much as he earns it, if takes big step

MM: availability will be Ty Montgomery's number 1 statistic

MM: I view RB's as guys who play all 3 downs, ruins your flow if they don't

MM: We look at all players, have great respect for Adrian Peterson, but don't comment on possible personnel. But we'll have more RB's

MM: Don't know when they'll get here, but we will have more RB's than we have now

MM: LT, QB two primary positions in game, but I think TE is pushing the envelope to get in there, middle of field is important

#Packers offseason program begins April 18th. MM told us yesterday some new things for team, and for Aaron Rodgers

MM: oline coaches don't come better than Campen, that position takes a little longer to develop, so push them as rookies and young players

MM: last year, oline room was best we've ever had, no b-s, guys had fun working together. confident new RG will prosper because of that

MM: Kenny Clark was playing as well as anybody near end of season, cut it loose last 6-8 games. Confident he and Lowry will take big steps

MM: Jean-Francois good player, played against him a lot, vet and experienced, also did good things at 5 technique besides 1&3

pbmax
03-29-2017, 09:50 AM
MM: always try and carry late season success into offseason program (which starts 4/18).

MM: we had a lot of leadership leave this offseason, confident guys will step up. @haha_cd6 will come flying through the doors and be ready

MM: @MartysaurusRex could be best TE in league, my job to put him in position to succeed

MM: Cook played very well for us, give him ton of credit for coming back, he almost went on IR

MM: Bennettt wanted to be in GB, and it happened fast

MM: olines struggle early in season is direct reflection of rules that prohibit contact and limit offseason work

arcilite
03-29-2017, 10:00 AM
If anyone was wishing for an Adrian Peterson signing (not me) don't get your hopes up:

Smidgeon
03-29-2017, 11:14 AM
M3 sit down interview at League Meetings

Chris Roth‏ @rothchris 24m24 minutes ago
MM says Browns got an excellent center in @JCTretter

MM: Clay needs to be moved around, we can list him anywhere on depth chart, but we have to move him around

MM: pass rush, we lost a lot with loss of Peppers and Jones, have to look at guys up front. Fackrell and Elliott need to step up

MM: Perry just needs to have another healthy, solid offseason. Elliott will play on defense as much as he earns it, if takes big step

MM: availability will be Ty Montgomery's number 1 statistic

MM: We look at all players, have great respect for Adrian Peterson, but don't comment on possible personnel. But we'll have more RB's

MM: Don't know when they'll get here, but we will have more RB's than we have now

MM: LT, QB two primary positions in game, but I think TE is pushing the envelope to get in there, middle of field is important

#Packers offseason program begins April 18th. MM told us yesterday some new things for team, and for Aaron Rodgers

MM: oline coaches don't come better than Campen, that position takes a little longer to develop, so push them as rookies and young players

MM: last year, oline room was best we've ever had, no b-s, guys had fun working together. confident new RG will prosper because of that

MM: Kenny Clark was playing as well as anybody near end of season, cut it loose last 6-8 games. Confident he and Lowry will take big steps

MM: Jean-Francois good player, played against him a lot, vet and experienced, also did good things at 5 technique besides 1&3

Sitton insight?

pbmax
03-29-2017, 11:26 AM
Sitton insight?

Certainly could be read that way.

gbgary
03-29-2017, 11:47 AM
If anyone was wishing for an Adrian Peterson signing (not me) don't get your hopes up:

good catch. yup...ad is NOT a 3 down guy...in this offense anyway.

pbmax
03-29-2017, 08:53 PM
Didn't the Vikings site Peterson on third downs if they were passing?

Remember him coming out a lot.

Pugger
03-30-2017, 08:21 AM

Me too and this is why I didn't think we'd be interested.

QBME
03-30-2017, 06:30 PM

Doesn't matter. He's done. There is no buzz. He is free, on the open market with no strings attached, and yet, no news.

Maybe he can go to Oakland and try to prop up interest for a year or two until they scoot to Vegas.

Unless skittles guy (much better at this point) decides to give it one last shot.

pbmax
04-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Players Injuries for the League: Adjusted Games Lost 2917

Football Outsiders (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/2016-adjusted-games-lost)

For those unfamiliar with AGL, we do not simply add up the number of games missed. We are able to quantify how much teams were affected by injuries based on two principles: (1) Injuries to starters, injury replacements and important situational reserves (No. 3 wide receiver, nickel corner, etc.) matter more than injuries to benchwarmers; and (2) Injured players who do take the field are usually playing with reduced ability, which is why AGL is based not strictly on whether the player was active for the game or not, but instead is based on the player's game status that week (IR/PUP, out, doubtful, questionable, or probable).

Packers were dead solid average in 2016, though it was not as good a year as 2015.

Team 2016AGL Rk 2015AGL Rk
LARM 29.0 1 80.3 24
TEN 32.0 2 65.2 18
CIN 35.1 3 28.2 1
PHI 38.4 4 52.0 6
SEA 41.1 5 40.1 3
ATL 52.2 6 28.8 2
NYG 52.4 7 138.7 32
NE 54.5 8 93.3 29
CAR 56.5 9 50.9 4
DEN 60.2 10 56.7 10
BAL 60.3 11 96.1 30
PIT 61.8 12 67.1 19
OAK 65.0 13 57.6 11
DET 69.5 14 76.7 23
GB 70.5 15 56.2 9
DAL 70.6 16 51.7 5

Team 2016AGL Rk 2015AGL Rk
JAC 72.5 17 68.9 20
TB 77.5 18 75.0 22
ARI 77.8 19 62.5 14
IND 78.4 20 65.1 17
NO 81.3 21 56.1 8
HOU 91.7 22 64.8 16
CLE 96.4 23 70.7 21
SF 97.5 24 83.9 27
BUF 97.8 25 80.5 25
MIA 99.1 26 63.4 15
KC 99.3 27 54.9 7
WAS 101.5 28 119.1 31
NYJ 110.5 29 61.8 13
MIN 120.6 30 59.0 12
SD 127.8 31 81.5 26
CHI 155.1 32 92.8 28

Rutnstrut
04-10-2017, 05:28 PM
good catch. yup...ad is NOT a 3 down guy...in this offense anyway.

Montgomery sure as hell isn't a 3 down back.

Joemailman
04-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Montgomery sure as hell isn't a 3 down back.

Why not? I'm not saying for sure he is. I think it's too early to tell. Just wondering why you're so sure he isn't.

texaspackerbacker
04-10-2017, 07:06 PM
I'm saying for sure he is. He's a speed back - comparatively. He has the size and displayed the power last year. And certainly he doesn't need to come out in 3rd down/passing situations.

Barring injuries - which is always a major factor - he's a golden example of a 3 down back. Combine that with Christine Michael for a speedier change of pace and Ripkowski as either a RB or FB to provide power as a change of pace, and we are in decent shape.

Rutnstrut
04-10-2017, 07:21 PM
I'm saying for sure he is. He's a speed back - comparatively. He has the size and displayed the power last year. And certainly he doesn't need to come out in 3rd down/passing situations.

Barring injuries - which is always a major factor - he's a golden example of a 3 down back. Combine that with Christine Michael for a speedier change of pace and Ripkowski as either a RB or FB to provide power as a change of pace, and we are in decent shape.

No way he handles the pounding of a regular back. I have said it before and I will again. Even as little as stubby runs the ball. Monty can not handle the pounding of the feature back. If they go that route he will NOT go more than 6 games without missing time. I am aware of his physical stats, so please don't offer them as a counter. I just don't think he's up to it.

pbmax
04-10-2017, 09:40 PM
He went more than six games this year and missed only marginal time when someone landed on his ankle.

So you are saying he will be more vulnerable next year?

Rutnstrut
04-10-2017, 11:24 PM
He went more than six games this year and missed only marginal time when someone landed on his ankle.

So you are saying he will be more vulnerable next year?

He will definitely be more vulnerable running behind a weaker line. But that's only part of it imo.

texaspackerbacker
04-11-2017, 09:31 AM
Montgomery is not some little runt. Also, he has the advantage of low mileage - not having run and been hit nearly as many times as a lot of RBs even at his fairly young age.

hoosier
04-11-2017, 09:46 AM
He will definitely be more vulnerable running behind a weaker line. But that's only part of it imo.

Why? Because his uni number is all wrong?

pbmax
04-11-2017, 10:18 AM
Packers recent injury history. Seems like Sports Science™ is working. Data from Football Outsiders.

Packers Adjusted Games Lost

Year AGL NFL Rank
2016 70.5 15
2015 56.2 9
2014 41.8 3
2013 104.5 30
2012 108.1 32

pbmax
04-11-2017, 03:38 PM
No soup for you!

Ryan Wood‏ @ByRyanWood

#Packers released CB Makinton Dorleant (failed physical). He was arrested in March, cited with interference for incident outside Iowa bar.

pbmax
04-18-2017, 10:42 AM
AJ Hawk retiring as a Packer.

Green Bay Packers‏ @packers 17m17 minutes ago
@OfficialAJHawk was drafted No. 5 overall in 2006.

Today, he retires with the #Packers.

Congrats, A.J.! ��: http://pckrs.com/trjd

pbmax
04-27-2017, 03:37 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C-ckOJ9VwAAxkjm.jpg:large

pbmax
04-30-2017, 12:58 PM
Jason Wilde‏Verified account @jasonjwilde 9m9 minutes ago
Draft pick jersey numbers via #Packers:

20 King
27 J.Jones
90 Adams
45 Biegel
30 Williams
16 Yancey
33 A. Jones
79 Amichia
41 Mays
19 Dupre

pbmax
05-01-2017, 10:26 AM
Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 15m15 minutes ago
#Packers released RB Don Jackson this morning. Source close to the situation said Jackson expected the news after Packers drafted 3 RBs.

Guiness
05-01-2017, 10:38 AM
No soup for you!

Ryan Wood‏ @ByRyanWood

#Packers released CB Makinton Dorleant (failed physical). He was arrested in March, cited with interference for incident outside Iowa bar.

Isn't this the UDFA that the Pack reactivated from IR, only to see him go right back on it? I thought he must've shown promise for them to use that designation, but maybe it was as I suspected, they were just grasping at straws.

Carolina_Packer
05-01-2017, 10:56 AM
He's the one!

Carolina_Packer
05-01-2017, 08:07 PM
Now Christine Michael is gone. Are they taking a chance casting their lot with Monty and three rookies, or do you think there's a chance of bringing in someone like Legarrette Blount on a one year deal as an insurance?

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/player-news/41565/christine-michael-released-again-by-packers

texaspackerbacker
05-01-2017, 08:21 PM
Damn!

Smidgeon
05-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Now Christine Michael is gone. Are they taking a chance casting their lot with Monty and three rookies, or do you think there's a chance of bringing in someone like Legarrette Blount on a one year deal as an insurance?

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/player-news/41565/christine-michael-released-again-by-packers

I think Michael and Jackson were no better than the incoming rookies. Jackson for sure, Michael's ceiling was already reached. His vision (lack thereof) frustrated me to no end. Some people are projecting our first RB to have the best vision in the draft. What Michael was making was too much for a #3 RB. So...gone.

Bretsky
05-01-2017, 11:46 PM
Michael has been cut by multiple teams. He's fast, but his vision is below average and he's a knucklehead. He's nothing more than a spare tire until you get better ones

pbmax
06-25-2017, 05:29 PM
Football Perspective‏ @fbgchase 2h2 hours ago
Weird, but true: Joe Philbin is the only coordinator in Packers history to become a head coach after leaving Green Bay.

He missed one, but other wise is correct. Can you name the non-coordinators who became head coaches after GB? Can you name the one he missed?

Guiness
06-25-2017, 06:01 PM
Weird, but true: Joe Philbin is the only coordinator in Packers history to become a head coach after leaving Green Bay.

He missed one, but other wise is correct. Can you name the non-coordinators who became head coaches after GB? Can you name the one he missed?

NFL head coach only? Sherman went on to coach Texas A&M. Jags coached in the NCAA as well.

NFL, NFL...AHA! Does McAdoo count? Not a co-ordinator, but he was the QB coach in GB!

esoxx
06-25-2017, 07:25 PM

Coordinator would be Ray Rhodes. Non-coordinators would be McAdoo as Guiness noted. Two more that immediately come to mind are Dick Jauron & Mike McCarthy

Guiness
06-25-2017, 07:47 PM
Coordinator would be Ray Rhodes. Non-coordinators would be McAdoo as Guiness noted. Two more that immediately come to mind are Dick Jauron & Mike McCarthy

Damn, Rhodes. Forgot about him...who didn't want to. Easily one of Wolf's biggest mistakes.

Patler
06-25-2017, 07:56 PM
Emmitt Thomas, interim HC in Atlanta, former DC in Green Bay.

Hank Bullough was HC in Buffalo after being DC in Green Bay.

Guiness
06-25-2017, 08:28 PM
Emmitt Thomas, interim HC in Atlanta, former DC in Green Bay.

Hank Bullough was HC in Buffalo after being DC in Green Bay.

I thought I made it clear above that '99 was best left unmentioned?

And nice job picking out an old Bills coach not names Levy!

hoosier
06-25-2017, 08:30 PM
Non-coordinators --> NFL coaches: Mariucci, Reid, Gruden, Morninghweg (sp?)

pbmax
06-25-2017, 08:53 PM

Yep, and that is just the Holmgren years.

Patler
06-25-2017, 09:06 PM

It seems like most of Lombardi's assistants became HCs. Fears, Austin, Hecker, Burns; maybe others I'm not remembering right now. Not bad for having only a handful of assistants at that time.

esoxx
06-25-2017, 10:43 PM
Phil Bengtson was interim HC in New England after being DC in GB.

Patler
06-26-2017, 08:06 AM
Green Bay assistant coaches who became HCs, how have we so far forgotten Tom Coughlin? Dick LeBeau, too, one year HC in Buffalo.

hoosier
06-26-2017, 09:06 AM
Monte Kiffin and Dick Jauron (under Forrest Gregg).

pbmax
06-26-2017, 10:40 AM
Monte Kiffin and Dick Jauron (under Forrest Gregg).

Was Kiffin a head coach?

pbmax
06-27-2017, 09:16 AM
Rodgers is #6 in NFL Top 100 (voted by players)

Here is the video. http://nfl.cpl.delvenetworks.com/player/carousel/scout.html?autoplay=1&channelId=de89a8aeb3e422bac4eb48567f10ebd0&channelListId&mediaId=2b4276047e5d41c3acce0bc4514687b2

After that, kinda ready for the regular season.

hoosier
06-27-2017, 09:18 AM
Was Kiffin a head coach?

My bad. He went on to become famous so I automatically included him.

pbmax
06-27-2017, 10:59 AM
The Titletown District now has its own logo. And its boring.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDVqm7UWsAA9eI8.jpg:large

smuggler
06-27-2017, 11:11 AM
I'm glad MSPaint.exe is still seeing use, at least.

pbmax
06-27-2017, 11:15 AM
At least the W for the Badgers is in "motion" as well as having upward pointing arrows. And even that is barely enough.

Should just put Bucky on there.

Or this from a shirt I may have worn in college, my memory isn't clear.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/011/0/6798237/il_fullxfull.464909413_tw6h.jpg

mraynrand
06-27-2017, 02:18 PM

That's a corporate turd. I did notice there are two half goal posts. What sort of message does that send?

mraynrand
06-27-2017, 02:18 PM
I'm glad MSPaint.exe is still seeing use, at least.

lol

smuggler
06-27-2017, 04:17 PM
https://img1.etsystatic.com/011/0/6798237/il_fullxfull.464909413_tw6h.jpg

Where can one purchase this veritable treasure of a shirt?

Zool
06-27-2017, 04:41 PM
Isn't TT slang for something else? I guess if they put in a strip club, that would make some sense.

pbmax
06-27-2017, 05:14 PM

Let me stress, I bet both that the University no longer wants this shirt sold AND that they want their licensing fee from the guys making them.

In other words, keep your receipt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F-ck-Em-Bucky-Great-Badger-Game-Day-T-Shirt-Small-/150670925238

QBME
06-27-2017, 05:45 PM

ibid

mraynrand
06-28-2017, 12:51 AM

Make 'em yourself.

http://www.cafepress.com/make/design-your-own

Rutnstrut
06-28-2017, 01:36 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DDVqm7UWsAA9eI8.jpg:large

Here I thought they were just copying the sign on Ted's office door.

hoosier
06-28-2017, 01:56 PM
Can we stop reproducing that enormous image please? It is messing up the page.

Fritz
06-29-2017, 06:37 AM
I thought the TT stood for Ted Thompson. If the guy can get t he team another SB, they'll name a whole district after him, not just a street.

pbmax
06-29-2017, 01:26 PM
Ted Town.

Rutnstrut
06-29-2017, 09:12 PM
As boring and plain jane as that logo is. it has to be inspired by Ted.

Fritz
06-30-2017, 10:39 AM
I'm sure anything Bill Belichek came up with would be much more exciting.

pbmax
07-13-2017, 03:52 PM
No links, just saw reference to this on Twitter. But Greg Jennings recently declared the problem in Green Bay was Mike McCarthy.

Didn't he just last year declare the problem was the WR that Rodgers wasn't as good as we thought and he no longer had WRs who could carry him?

Joemailman
07-13-2017, 06:10 PM
No links, just saw reference to this on Twitter. But Greg Jennings recently declared the problem in Green Bay was Mike McCarthy.

Didn't he just last year declare the problem was the WR that Rodgers wasn't as good as we thought and he no longer had WRs who could carry him?

Plenty of links now. http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/greg-jennings-mike-mccarthy-packers-undisputed-video/1ibhmpc6ghem119uez841ixsuj

Bretsky
07-13-2017, 06:30 PM

YUP.........but it isn't MM; he just plays the odds like every other NFL Coach except Hoody Genius who generally tried to break you

hoosier
07-13-2017, 07:19 PM
When he was with the Pack I would never have figured Jennings for a back-stabbing turd.

Joemailman
07-13-2017, 08:19 PM

They should hire Skinbasket to redesign the logo. He could do something more interesting with those uprights.

Joemailman
07-13-2017, 08:23 PM
When he was with the Pack I would never have figured Jennings for a back-stabbing turd.

Nor I. Seems he didn't appreciate the Packers not offering a big contract following his injury-filled 2012 season.

mraynrand
07-13-2017, 08:31 PM
They should hire Skinbasket to redesign the logo. He could do something more interesting with those uprights.

don't encourage him. Of course, we don't know that he didn't submit a sample. The boring choice may have been overcompensation.

pbmax
07-14-2017, 07:54 AM

It seemed likelier after his sister piped up during his last season.

hoosier
07-14-2017, 08:50 AM
Nor I. Seems he didn't appreciate the Packers not offering a big contract following his injury-filled 2012 season.

It seemed likelier after his sister piped up during his last season.

Yeah, he seems capable of holding a grudge for quite a while. Maybe he too carries a certain chip on his shoulder? JSO should investigate.

I thought I remembered him trying to make amends for the sister thing, at least half-heartedly trying. But he's retired now, why should anyone care what he thinks about the Packers and McCarthy? I guess that is how the mediasphere (in which pro players are inevitably included) works: if you've retired and miss the attention you have to find something to say that will cause people to stop and take notice.

mraynrand
07-14-2017, 09:07 AM
if you've retired and miss the attention you have to find something to say that will cause people to stop and take notice.

the danger is spouting enough of it that you become too toxic for TV. Then you end up making "Judge Jennings" writing "Jennings Attack" or producing a Youtube channel and talking about G.R.E.G. (Gout Removal & Exclusion Grants) initiatives.

hoosier
07-14-2017, 10:04 AM
A tweet and an interview per year are two grains of sand in the desert. He might have sunken in the eyes of die-hard GBP fans whose radar screens snatch any and everything ever said about the Packers, but for the rest of the football world what he said about Rodgers and leadership is long forgotten. The statement about McCarthy will have a similar shelf life, or it has already been washed away from collective consciousness by the surprising news that Gisele and Tom finally got admitted into their hoity toity neighborhood country club (who would've thunk it!?!).

Gout removal??? If you have something about grout removal or gout extraction I might be interested.

mraynrand
07-14-2017, 10:28 AM
Gout removal??? If you have something about grout removal or gout extraction I might be interested.

It's just about grants. Urine the money. (Plus it's made up. I was mapping Warren Sapp activities onto Jennings...)

gbgary
07-14-2017, 11:04 AM

we've all said mm gets conservative with a lead, doesn't go for the jugular. that's all he said. no biggie.

hoosier
07-14-2017, 11:32 AM
we've all said mm gets conservative with a lead, doesn't go for the jugular. that's all he said. no biggie.

No, that's not all he said, he said that McCarthy's supposed conservativism is the difference between Green Bay and New England, the difference in comparison to which every other difference is a difference without distinction. But is that really true? Which of the Packer playoff losses can be fairly attributed to McCarthy "not going for the jugular" when ahead? I can think of one example in which it could be argued that conservatism could be argued as the contributing factor to a loss. But there's a lot more to the story, don't you think? For one, there is the fact that the vast majority of playoff losses (six to be exact) did not happen because McCarthy took his foot off the gas--the Packers didn't even have 4th quarter leads in most if not all of them. But there's another piece too. I remember after the 2010-11 SB win Jennings was bemoaning what seemed like the offense's inability to seal the deal. He was speaking most immediately about the last 4th-quarter drive where GB had a chance to finish Pittsburgh off with a TD after they drove deep into Pitts territory but had to settle for three. But the wins at Philly and Chicago were also closer than they had to be. My question is, was it McCarthy's fault that the wins were a little too close for comfort because he took his foot off the gas? Or was it the offense's fault (failure to execute)? Or should we recognize, as the poster named Vince would say, that McCarthy's "conservative" strategy was actually successful in those games? The idea that McCarthy gets too conservative with the lead is based primarily on one disastrous playoff loss that does not guarantee its general validity.

mraynrand
07-14-2017, 11:52 AM
No, that's not all he said, he said that McCarthy's supposed conservativism is the difference between Green Bay and New England, the difference in comparison to which every other difference is a difference without distinction.

That's awesome. Can I use this for an example in philosophy class? I'm sure that's what was running through Jenning's mind as he formulated his argument :)

hoosier
07-14-2017, 01:26 PM
As long as you turn it around (distinction without difference) I suppose that will be ok.

pbmax
07-20-2017, 06:24 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFCk_4EW0AEXBL5.jpg:large

pbmax
07-20-2017, 06:31 AM
Do you think they know they have pictured Tretter?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DFES13MXgAE4adI.jpg:large

pbmax
07-20-2017, 06:33 AM
Rob Demovsky‏ @RobDemovsky 21h21 hours ago
The Packers will have a new director of player development after Rob Davis has left the organization, Packers... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0679327916806379877-4

"We're in the search," Murphy said. "We hated to lose Rob, but [it is] a special opportunity for him." Davis' next venture has not been announced.

Ideal candidate: Greg Jennings. He seems to need something to do.

mraynrand
07-20-2017, 07:15 AM
Rob Demovsky‏ @RobDemovsky 21h21 hours ago
The Packers will have a new director of player development after Rob Davis has left the organization, Packers...

That's a central position in the org. Don't want to take too long to fill it, but don't want to make snap decision either. Goode luck!

smuggler
07-21-2017, 01:12 AM
Well played, mraynrand. Jansens are you'll be wrong, though.

pbmax
07-25-2017, 08:57 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/889586256279220224/WmDtgOMz?format=jpg&name=600x314

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/07/24/detroit-lions-nfc-north-champions-shirt/504985001/

pbmax
07-25-2017, 09:32 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/07/24/energized-packers-gm-ted-thompson-puts-best-foot-forward/506059001/

Apparently Ted looked pretty drained after the draft. But was in much better shape for the shareholder meeting. I wonder if we might get a mini-Ted to do some of his scouting since late fall/winter seems to be the time he gets worn out.

mraynrand
07-25-2017, 11:16 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/889586256279220224/WmDtgOMz?format=jpg&name=600x314

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2017/07/24/detroit-lions-nfc-north-champions-shirt/504985001/

Apparently South Sudan sent them back. The homeless there refused to wear them.