PDA

View Full Version : Your Ideal Free Agent Strategy for the Packers

pbmax
02-01-2017, 08:21 PM
Do you want to hedge your bets with some numbers to provide depth and guard against a 50% miss rate?

Or do you want a big name, to get maximum talent and least amount of flaws?

And if any of you say bit of both, I will flog your internet presence to within an inch of its life.

Looking for best marginal value of the first step of the new strategy: mid-priced depth or a big ticket item.

red
02-01-2017, 09:10 PM
I guess if I have to go with just one, I would pick the big splash cause we already have a bunch of mid tier players

But honestly, I would want both

The problem is, imo, we could use an impact I'll, and a shutdown corner, and since we're always dropping like flies, we need vet depth

So yeah, I'll take my flogging now

red
02-01-2017, 09:12 PM
But I suppose it depends on what you consider "mid tier"

I would think you could upgrade out ILB and CB positions without breaking the bank

Rutnstrut
02-01-2017, 11:10 PM
Well had TT actually used a smattering of FA every year they wouldn't need both. However now they pretty much need a big talent or two that delivers AND some mid tier guys.

bobblehead
02-02-2017, 02:11 AM
Well had TT actually used a smattering of FA every year they wouldn't need both. However now they pretty much need a big talent or two that delivers AND some mid tier guys.

You mean like getting a TE last year would have been nice? Agreed. Maybe a pass rushing DE/OLB with a few years left? Agreed...wish he would do that once in awhile.

I vote both...flog incoming.

If they could land AJ Bouye I wouldn't mind paying for a shutdown CB. Every team needs one. We missed Shields badly and signing Bouye would be similar to having shields stay healthy. There are also several RB's available this year, but the one I would eye would be Andre Ellington of the Cardinals. He is quick as a PBR shit and the lost man in AZ. He'd be a good fit and complement to Montgomery. Probably comes cheap as well. If they could land those 2 guys...or 2 guys similar (a RB and CB) I would be thrilled. We need a #1 corner. Drafting one at 30? isn't likely. RBs are cheap, but signing a guy like Ellington could pay off big.

Without that #1 CB the D can only improve so much. With him it opens us up to draft best available player, develop our youngsters more, make the fans happy who want to break the bank in FA and have a shot at the trophy next year.

bobblehead
02-02-2017, 02:15 AM
Oh...and signing some unrestricted FAs named Perry, Hyde, and Cook would be nice also. A couple others if the price is right (Lang, Tretter, Goode.) The rest can walk.

texaspackerbacker
02-02-2017, 03:14 AM
I voted for the first choice, but I don't really like the poll. It doesn't say anything about quantity of signings, how big money, or what positions. Obviously, a degree of moderation is needed. However, some years going after quality at certain positions (like Corner this year) is equally obvious.

Cheesehead Craig
02-02-2017, 08:29 AM
Oh goody, an Internet flogging! I'll pile on with those who don't like the poll.

You forgot the 3rd option which is just draft a CB in round 1 or 2, and just let the young guys on the roster develop and not sign a FA.

I'm one for both the options in the poll. I want to sign one of the top 2 FA CBs, and also a mid tier vet who can mentor the young-uns, which is desperately needed.

Now, on with the flogging pb!

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder531/53168531.jpg

Joemailman
02-02-2017, 08:39 AM
I said big impact. They should release Shields and Starks and use the money to sign a top corner. Someone who not only would help the coverage, but who would provide some leadership in the CB group. Right now they don't have that.

Pugger
02-02-2017, 09:25 AM
I said big impact. They should release Shields and Starks and use the money to sign a top corner. Someone who not only would help the coverage, but who would provide some leadership in the CB group. Right now they don't have that.

:tup:

vince
02-02-2017, 09:35 AM
Too many unknowns to be able to answer.

It could be either - depending on the opportunities the market presents - current player health/development assessments, what opportunities the signing might negate filling thereby diminishing needed depth somewhere else, what other talent is available relative to demand, what skills, flags/risks they may have relative to the commitment the market is demanding, length of deal relative to expected skill decline, the extent to which signing bonus, guarantees, and overall contract structure either handcuffs the team or gives them flexibility to get out of the agreement if necessary - and at what points, the free agent opportunity relative to other core players to re-sign and what their relative value/priority is, how the signing(s) mesh with the cap situation both current and near future, whether there are reasonable opportunities to manage the cap structure by renegotiating other deals that could help justify certain FA commitments, what the existing roster pay structure looks like and whether the signing will upset the contribution-to-compensation balance, the expected role of the signing and whether that role justifies the cost as well as trading out the contributions of young players already on the roster that are ready to step up, whether the expected role of the FA signing is worth stunting the growth of and/or forcing the release of future assets, thereby undermining roster stability, ...

Assuming all of that can come together, this team has justification for writing a big check and expect value in return for a high impact player at only one position - cornerback.

Regarding the "mid-tier" option, again, it's impossible to determine without knowing anything about the opportunity, although in general I see little justification for going after that type of player for this roster.

There is a long list of talented first and second year players who will be continuing to develop and increasingly contribute - plus the promise of a draft class that could offer many fruits that could mesh very well with the Packers needs.

99% of the guys who are likely to make next year's roster will be as likely to succeed as any mid-tier or vet minimum free agent. The three guys that might not be the case with will be stashed potential to protect against pilferage. I don't see many - if any - spots where a mid-tier guy would be likely to come in and start or realistically be likely to make any kind of significant contribution at all.

MadScientist
02-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Where's the option to not even look at a FA unless he's a street FA, so as to preserve comp picks in 2018.

vince
02-02-2017, 09:58 AM
However now they pretty much need a big talent or two that delivers AND some mid tier guys.
At what positions do they need mid-tier guys and who should they replace on the roster?

Then we can go out and estimate what a mid-tier guy at those spots might look like, what price ranges would be likely, and what the expected role/contribution would be reasonably expected relative to the guy whose spot he might take on the roster.

Maybe it does make sense but I doubt it. It likely can only make sense if you or your fortune teller can predict who will get hurt when, how it will impact their play/availability and for how long. Then you can sign the right guys at the right spots this offseason. Perhaps that's foreseeable. You're obviously asserting it's needed. Give it a shot Rut.

pbmax
02-02-2017, 10:17 AM
I guess if I have to go with just one, I would pick the big splash cause we already have a bunch of mid tier players

But honestly, I would want both

The problem is, imo, we could use an impact I'll, and a shutdown corner, and since we're always dropping like flies, we need vet depth

:pc:

:beat:

pbmax
02-02-2017, 10:20 AM
You mean like getting a TE last year would have been nice? Agreed. Maybe a pass rushing DE/OLB with a few years left? Agreed...wish he would do that once in awhile.

I vote both...flog incoming.

If they could land AJ Bouye I wouldn't mind paying for a shutdown CB. Every team needs one. We missed Shields badly and signing Bouye would be similar to having shields stay healthy. There are also several RB's available this year, but the one I would eye would be Andre Ellington of the Cardinals. He is quick as a PBR shit and the lost man in AZ. He'd be a good fit and complement to Montgomery. Probably comes cheap as well. If they could land those 2 guys...or 2 guys similar (a RB and CB) I would be thrilled. We need a #1 corner. Drafting one at 30? isn't likely. RBs are cheap, but signing a guy like Ellington could pay off big.

Without that #1 CB the D can only improve so much. With him it opens us up to draft best available player, develop our youngsters more, make the fans happy who want to break the bank in FA and have a shot at the trophy next year.

Oh goody, an Internet flogging! I'll pile on with those who don't like the poll.

You forgot the 3rd option which is just draft a CB in round 1 or 2, and just let the young guys on the roster develop and not sign a FA.

I'm one for both the options in the poll. I want to sign one of the top 2 FA CBs, and also a mid tier vet who can mentor the young-uns, which is desperately needed.

Now, on with the flogging pb!

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder531/53168531.jpg

:bang:

:cat:

:butt:

gbgary
02-02-2017, 10:23 AM
i'd sign the biggest defensive FA out there (cost be damned) AND one or two mid tier guys. one big fish isn't going to cause a "punishing cap blowout."

do we have a list of FAs yet?

pbmax
02-02-2017, 10:28 AM
The poll is not designed to elucidate what FA strategy you would use if you were the Packers GM. Not looking for your Platonic ideal.

The poll is designed to find a preference for FA use. What do the Packers lack, top flight talent or depth? What would you ask Free Agency to fill?

Everyone wants Ted to use it, Bob wants Ted to use it, Bob says internally people want Ted to use it. OK, use it to sign what kind of player?

I voted for difference maker with fewest flaws. That has been absent on defense for a while. I see the value in mid-tier and multiple signings to guard against roster decimation by injury, but free agents are just as likely to get hurt and you might hurt development of younger players who need to play.

I think Cook and Peppers both fall into this category and for 1 and 2 years both helped quite a bit. Cook didn't break they bank, but he desperately wanted to sign with the packers so I am giving a pass here on his lack of big cost (plus the Packers seem willing to re-sign him for greater cost). So I would be asking Ted to fill the biggest hole with the best talent on the FA board, even if it costs money.

hoosier
02-02-2017, 10:57 AM
i'd sign the biggest defensive FA out there (cost be damned) AND one or two mid tier guys. one big fish isn't going to cause a "punishing cap blowout."

I believe Aaron Gibson is unsigned as of yet.

hoosier
02-02-2017, 10:59 AM
CB. At all other positions GB either has guys it can re-sign or has sufficient depth or, like ILB, isn't a position you want to break the bank on unless you're getting the second coming of Patrick Willis.

gbgary
02-02-2017, 11:28 AM
I believe Aaron Gibson is unsigned as of yet.

lol...i didn't mean size-wise.

pbmax
02-02-2017, 11:37 AM
It occurs to me that the title of this thread used the word ideal. My bad.

The floggings will now cease as I mucked it up royally.

Cheesehead Craig
02-02-2017, 12:19 PM
It occurs to me that the title of this thread used the word ideal. My bad.

The floggings will now cease as I mucked it up royally.

Nonsense, you should continue them until morale improves

3irty1
02-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Seems to me if you're using FA as a coverscent for your drafting then lack of FA isn't your real problem.

Without names and numbers this exercise is masturbatory even by packerrats standards.

bobblehead
02-02-2017, 12:23 PM

There is this fancy new thing out called "the google"

bobblehead
02-02-2017, 12:28 PM
Seems to me if you're using FA as a coverscent for your drafting then lack of FA isn't your real problem.

Without names and numbers this exercise is masturbatory even by packerrats standards.

Not me. I used FA to fix an unforeseeable problem caused by our shutdown corner getting mush head. We lost a stud corner. His replacement isn't on the roster (or is a couple years away if he is) and drafting it isn't realistic. Along with losing him we lost his salary which opens us up to replacing him through FA. That said there is exactly and only one FA that I think could be that guy which makes signing him not very realistic either, but if we could land Bouye for same deal we gave Peppers I would be onboard.

Radagast
02-02-2017, 12:47 PM
IMO, this thread is not just about Free Agents. A comprehensive strategy involves Free Agents and Draft Picks and returning roster players. The 2017 Packers need better players in the Defensive Secondary. Speed is the key. I just don't want to continue to see a rigid Draft and Develop policy continue or Draft the best player available regardless of dire need at a position.

My point, The Packers Defensive Secondary (CB's) needs SPEED and talent to compete against the passing attack's they will be facing going forward. I don't give a damn if it requires a draft trade or a player trade or a combination of both. They can go after a proven veteran Shut Down CB/CBs in Free Agency, I don't care, as long as the holes get plugged.

Better CBs in GB should be the #1 priority this offseason.

:glug:

pbmax
02-02-2017, 01:01 PM
IMO, this thread is not just about Free Agents. A comprehensive strategy involves Free Agents and Draft Picks and returning roster players. The 2017 Packers need better players in the Defensive Secondary. Speed is the key. I just don't want to continue to see a rigid Draft and Develop policy continue or Draft the best player available regardless of dire need at a position.

My point, The Packers Defensive Secondary (CB's) needs SPEED and talent to compete against the passing attack's they will be facing going forward. I don't give a damn if it requires a draft trade or a player trade or a combination of both. They can go after a proven veteran Shut Down CB/CBs in Free Agency, I don't care, as long as the holes get plugged.

Better CBs in GB should be the #1 priority this offseason.

:glug:

Please consult threat title and OP. This thread is about FA strategy.

Also, Randall is fast, it wasn't helping him.

gbgary
02-02-2017, 01:36 PM
There is this fancy new thing out called "the google"

yes but teams get to try to sign their own before anyone else has a crack at them, right? so the list doesn't mean anything until after that cutoff date. no? am i wrong here?

Maxie the Taxi
02-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Assuming he's healthy, I'd go all in to sign Eric Berry of Chiefs. He'd plug the leaks in our secondary. Plus, I'd make a serious play for Brandon Williams of the Ravens. I'm a believer in being strong up the middle.

Then, I'd trade up in the draft to get Myles Garrett.

Super Bowl or Bust.

But that's just me. hahahaha

Joemailman
02-02-2017, 05:56 PM

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

Of course, some of these won't reach free agency.

Joemailman
02-02-2017, 06:09 PM
Assuming he's healthy, I'd go all in to sign Eric Berry of Chiefs. He'd plug the leaks in our secondary. Plus, I'd make a serious play for Brandon Williams of the Ravens. I'm a believer in being strong up the middle.

Then, I'd trade up in the draft to get Myles Garrett.

Super Bowl or Bust.

But that's just me. hahahaha

Terez A. PaylorVerified account ‏@TerezPaylor Follow More Berry made it clear that he wants to stay in KC but is not willing to play on the franchise tag again and will sit out if tagged.

As of right now, the Chiefs will have one of the worst salary cap situations in the NFL. If they don't release anybody, they will be about 4M over the cap when free agency starts. That is partly because Nick Foles, their backup QB has a base salary of over 10M in 2017. I assume he'll be released. They currently have 13 players with a cap hit of over 5M in 2017. The Packers, by comparison, have 9.

Bretsky
02-02-2017, 06:54 PM
:clap:
I guess if I have to go with just one, I would pick the big splash cause we already have a bunch of mid tier players :clap:

But honestly, I would want both :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

:knll:

Bretsky
02-02-2017, 06:54 PM

THIS

Freak Out
02-03-2017, 08:45 AM
Bring in the defense.

King Friday
02-04-2017, 01:04 AM
I prefer multiple mid-tier guys...and I'm talking guys signed within 2-4 days from the start of free agency, not Ted sitting around for 2 weeks to dig in the bargain bin. Money is going to be FLYING around this year, so it will be difficult to get the top tier guys because Ted simply isn't going to overpay and we know those top 15-20 UFAs will all have a 10%+ premium on them. Wait for the big spenders to blow their wad...then wade into the fray and clean up on the best of the rest.

yetisnowman
02-04-2017, 10:53 AM
It's too bad we have the same desperate need for cornerbacks that we had 2 years ago. Partly because of Shields, and mostly because of our first two draft picks that summer. If there was some certainly Randall and Rollins were just pretty good players, we would have a lot more wiggle room this offseason.

BZnDallas
02-05-2017, 10:07 AM
DAMN, everybody is so quick to toss Randall and Rollins out with the bath water. Do people not understand what an injury can do to a player? We ALL just witnessed this a year ago with Davante Adams. I remember some of ya'll tearing him a new asshole. Now the guy is healthy and having him and a 100% Jordy back next year looks lethal. Holy shit, give these dudes a chance. By all means bring in a FA/draft pick to address the likely loss of Shields. But damn, lets chill out a bit on 2 obvious 2nd year players that were hurt most of the season.

Joemailman
02-05-2017, 10:28 AM
DAMN, everybody is so quick to toss Randall and Rollins out with the bath water. Do people not understand what an injury can do to a player? We ALL just witnessed this a year ago with Davante Adams. I remember some of ya'll tearing him a new asshole. Now the guy is healthy and having him and a 100% Jordy back next year looks lethal. Holy shit, give these dudes a chance. By all means bring in a FA/draft pick to address the likely loss of Shields. But damn, lets chill out a bit on 2 obvious 2nd year players that were hurt most of the season.

I agree. Although I have some concerns about Randall's lack of attention to proper technique at times, these guys should bounce back. They were very good as rookies when they were healthy.

Deputy Nutz
02-06-2017, 09:07 AM
Corners and their age
A.J. Bouye 26
Malcolm Butler 27
Terence Newman 38
Morris Claiborne 27
Corners and their age
Darius Butler 31
Logan Ryan 26
Trumaine Johnson 27
Ross Cockrell 26
Deshawn Shead 29
Leon Hall 32
Prince Amukamara 28
Captain Munnerlyn 29
Dre Kirkpatrick 27
Micah Hyde 26

woodbuck27
02-06-2017, 09:40 AM

Yes and PLEASE someone send the memo to TT soon. Maybe have him paste that memo to his shirt pocket so he can focus on getting that Shutdown CB early in Free Agency. Someone of authority has to ask TT exactly what is your plan to give the Packers the very best chance at getting to the Super Bowl next season. If he says "I am working on that" he should be replaced pronto.

No more excuses ... no more delays. The time is now well overdue.

Zool
02-06-2017, 10:10 AM
THIS

Maybe give examples of the top corners available?

Upnorth
02-07-2017, 10:52 AM
I think Leon Hall is a free agent. Plus he hits hard so wist should be happy....

Carolina_Packer
02-07-2017, 01:08 PM

Is Joe Johnson still available?

Zool
02-07-2017, 02:19 PM
Is Joe Johnson still available?

Terry Glenn is trying to make a comeback, but he wasn't a FA.