PDA

View Full Version : C H O K E

King Friday
02-05-2017, 09:37 PM
Well, at least we aren't Atlanta Falcon fans right now...especially the one who bet $1M.

ThunderDan
02-05-2017, 09:40 PM
MM wins that game for ATL if he is the head coach. Why the fuck is ATL passing with 4 minutes left in the game up 8 when they are already in FG range? Horrible.

King Friday
02-05-2017, 09:40 PM
MM wins that game for ATL if he is the head coach. Why the fuck is ATL passing with 4 minutes left in the game up 8 when they are already in FG range? Horrible.

Yep...this was a situation that even McCarthy wouldn't have screwed up.

ThunderDan
02-05-2017, 09:42 PM
This is the other side of the coin to people moaning about MM's run in the DAL game that got blown up. ATL tries to buck the trend to throw, which I am sure was a safe pass for them. They take a sack and get a holding penalty and the game is back in play instead of over.

Maxie the Taxi
02-05-2017, 09:43 PM
This is the other side of the coin to people moaning about MM's run in the DAL game that got blown up. ATL tries to buck the trend to throw, which I am sure was a safe pass for them. They take a sack and get a holding penalty and the game is back in play instead of over.Except it's Arod at QB instead of Ryan. lol

ThunderDan
02-05-2017, 09:44 PM
Well, at least we aren't Atlanta Falcon fans right now...especially the one who bet $1M.

This is probably worse than the SEAGame because this was for the Super Bowl.

pbmax
02-05-2017, 09:45 PM
The holding call is a risk you run for any play but a dive. But you CANNOT take a sack.

And while I would prefer Rodgers, he has taken a sack before when he shouldn't.

Maxie the Taxi
02-05-2017, 09:46 PM
And life is a crap shoot. lol

pbmax
02-05-2017, 09:47 PM
Mike Tunison ‏@xmasape 1 Feb 2015
The prophesy still holds. Only one hero can vanquish the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8z3HSpCUAAS6TP.jpg:large

pbmax
02-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Patriots 93 plays to Falcons 46

Time of possession also in NE favor 40 to 23 (remember OT).

NE D won by not surrendering big plays after halftime.

SMBASS
02-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Yep...this was a situation that even McCarthy wouldn't have screwed up.

Never underestimate Stubby's ability to screw up and choke away a game! Lol!

channtheman
02-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Different situations. We played for a 56 yard field goal. ATL had a 40 yarder in the bag.

King Friday
02-05-2017, 09:52 PM
This is the other side of the coin to people moaning about MM's run in the DAL game that got blown up. ATL tries to buck the trend to throw, which I am sure was a safe pass for them. They take a sack and get a holding penalty and the game is back in play instead of over.

Perhaps...but the Falcons were in EASY field goal range after Julio's catch. The Packers were not in easy field goal range when McCarthy had to make a choice. Also, the Packer running game is a joke...the Falcons have a pretty damn good running game.

ThunderDan
02-05-2017, 09:53 PM
I still can't believe that NE won. Down 25. Stupid turnover, stupid not running the ball.

woodbuck27
02-05-2017, 10:00 PM

MM doesn't even know to accept the ball on offence when his teams Captains get the coin toss call right.

MM rides on the coattail of Aaron Rodgers.

Ohh by the way ThunderDan....better luck next season and the Pro Pickem ... keep on swinging. :???:

ThunderDan
02-05-2017, 10:04 PM
MM doesn't even know to accept the ball on offence when his teams Captains get the coin toss call right.

You do know that ATL won the opening coin toss and deferred, right? What are you even trying to get at?

Vincenzo
02-05-2017, 10:08 PM
Nothing could be more painful than what just happened to Atlanta

ThunderDan
02-05-2017, 10:13 PM
Ohh by the way ThunderDan....better luck next season and the Pro Pickem ... keep on swinging. :???:

I finished 4th, 7 points ahead of you. I'll try to do better next year. Thanks for the luck in advance.

Bossman641
02-05-2017, 10:18 PM
Thank God this board is not named falconrats cause I'm not sure how I'd be able to go on.

woodbuck27
02-05-2017, 10:22 PM
I finished 4th, 7 points ahead of you. I'll try to do better next year. Thanks for the luck in advance.

Waaaaauuunnkkk ! :whaa:

Are you under some stress? Your certainly again deluded.

You finished 4th....17 CP's behind esoxx and I after we picked the Pats to win the Super Bowl..

gbgary
02-05-2017, 10:25 PM
it all came down to that sack. ryan CAN'T take that sack. elite arm but mid-tier brain.

ThunderDan
02-05-2017, 10:25 PM
Waaaaauuunnkkk ! :whaa:

Are you under some stress? Your certainly again deluded.

You finished 4th....17 CP's behind esoxx and I after we picked the Pats to win the Super Bowl..
We have always played to the end of the regular season for this website. Don't try to change the rules after you finished behind me.

I know it is tough on your fragile ego to lose to me.

woodbuck27
02-05-2017, 10:33 PM
You do know that ATL won the opening coin toss and deferred, right? What are you even trying to get at?

Waaaaannnnnkkkk !

Your wrong again ! Too many Packerrats have been critical of MM for this.

The Packers won the coin toss and opted to defer. Read below for posterity :???::

http://fox6now.com/2017/01/22/winner-goes-to-the-super-bowl-packers-falcons-face-off-in-nfc-championship-game/

" As this game got underway in Atlanta — the Packers won the coin toss and opted to defer.

The Atlanta Falcons were the first to score during this game — with a touchdown pass from Falcons’ QB Matt Ryan to wide receiver Mohamed Sanu Sr. "

ThunderDan
02-05-2017, 10:36 PM
Waaaaannnnnkkkk !

Your wrong again ! Too many Packerrats have been critical of MM for this.

The Packers won the coin toss and opted to defer. Read below for posterity :???::

http://fox6now.com/2017/01/22/winner-goes-to-the-super-bowl-packers-falcons-face-off-in-nfc-championship-game/

" As this game got underway in Atlanta — the Packers won the coin toss and opted to defer.

So why bash MM for the last game deferring when the ATL coach did the exact same thing? I am just trying to figure out what your ramblings mean.

The Atlanta Falcons were the first to score during this game — with a touchdown pass from Falcons’ QB Matt Ryan to wide receiver Mohamed Sanu Sr. "

I am talking about tonight's Super Bowl. The ATL coach deferred after winning the toss with the league's best offense.

woodbuck27
02-05-2017, 10:39 PM
We have always played to the end of the regular season for this website. Don't try to change the rules after you finished behind me.

I know it is tough on your fragile ego to lose to me.

Well here is the TRUTH:

The three winning the Yahoo recognition of trophies are:

mmmdk 1st place (1553 CP's) and

Myself and esoxx will end up tied in second place with 1528 CP's and Yahoo will decide which of us gets 2nd and 3rd.

ThunderDan you did very well and came in 4th with 1511 CP's. Congratulations on a fine effort. :-)

ThunderDan
02-05-2017, 10:40 PM
Obviously if, MM, the ATL head coach and Belichick all defer when winning the coin toss there must be something to that strategy.

ThunderDan
02-05-2017, 10:43 PM
Well here is the TRUTH:

The three winning the Yahoo recognition of trophies are:

mmmdk 1st place (1553 CP's) and

Myself and esoxx will end up tied in second place with 1528 CP's and Yahoo will decide which of us gets 2nd and 3rd.

ThunderDan you did very well and came in 4th with 1511 CP's. Congratulations on a fine effort. :-)

Once again, stop changing the rules. MMMDK won and you awarded him the victory in the Pick'em thread after the regular season finished because those are the rules we play by.

You are acting like a baby. Be the man that you truly are, and take your loss with grace.

woodbuck27
02-05-2017, 10:48 PM
I still can't believe that NE won. Down 25. Stupid turnover, stupid not running the ball.

Hey ThunderDan Atlanta lost in OT to a great team in what will go down as the greatest Super Bowl win in Super Bowl History.

You should have known that Belichick , Brady and Company would get it done.

esoxx and I got it right. So did wpony

I'm going to celebrate another successful Packerrats Pro Pickem ...with a cold Molson Export Ale.....mmmm... it will go down really well. Tomorrow I have to go to town for a brand new shining cloth for all those trophies.

mmmdk
02-05-2017, 11:10 PM
I win pick'em, Falcons lost SB LI but my heart goes to Atlanta today. I agree; I don't think Stubby would've f*cked the up LI SB either...not with AR at the helm. Quinny is the "new" Stubby! :lol:

woodbuck27
02-05-2017, 11:22 PM
Once again, stop changing the rules. MMMDK won and you awarded him the victory in the Pick'em thread after the regular season finished because those are the rules we play by.

You are acting like a baby. Be the man that you truly are, and take your loss with grace.

ThunderDan .... Have you not ever won a Yahoo Fantasy Sports Trophy? I will again try to explain this to you.

Here at Packerrats we have always declared our Champion based on the Regular Season Games.

It does NOT end there as we continue the Pro Pickem' into the playoffs through to the end or after the Super Bowl winner is decided. We do this for the recognition of ....Yahoo Fantasy Sports, ThunderDan.

I trust you will understand this in the future.

King Friday
02-06-2017, 05:34 AM
I am talking about tonight's Super Bowl. The ATL coach deferred after winning the toss with the league's best offense.

And his team was up 28-3.

The coin toss decision was hardly a meaningful reason for the Falcon loss yesterday.

Carolina_Packer
02-06-2017, 06:01 AM

Perhaps, but it's on Matt Ryan on the drive when they should have at least had a field goal attempt and gone back up 2 scores and he takes that horrible sack. He's the guy at the line looking over the defense, he's the MVP, he needs to check out of that long drop-back and into something more conservative where he can get the ball out to Julio, Sanu or a back out of the backfield. That breakdown is on Ryan and he knows it.

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-06-2017, 06:36 AM
Yeah, us Packer fans have endured some heartbreakers, but I have to believe Atlanta is adding extra staff to the suicide prevention centers this morning. Yikes!!!

ThunderDan
02-06-2017, 07:11 AM
And his team was up 28-3.

The coin toss decision was hardly a meaningful reason for the Falcon loss yesterday.

I know. That is exactly my point. But for some reason Woodbuck went after MM in a post on the first page for not taking the ball in the NFC Championship game after winning the coin toss. I still am not sure what that has to do with last night's game.

woodbuck27
02-06-2017, 07:32 AM
I know. That is exactly my point. But for some reason Woodbuck went after MM in a post on the first page for not taking the ball in the NFC Championship game after winning the coin toss. I still am not sure what that has to do with last night's game.

'' MM wins that game for ATL if he is the head coach. Why the fuck is ATL passing with 4 minutes left in the game up 8 when they are already in FG range? Horrible.'' ThunderDan

I was disagreeing with this statement:

''MM wins that game for ATL if he is the head coach. ....'' ThunderDan.

When your team defends as poorly as the Green Bay Packers did in 2016 Vs the Pass. You do not win the coin toss and defer to the NO. 1 Passing Team in the NFL. That was a bonehead decision by MM. I do not believe we will ever see that day that MM can go head to head as a HC and out do arguably the smartest HC (Belichick) in the history of the game.

Mike McCarthy Vs Bill Belichick. :idea:

Clearly .... there cannot even be a conversation as to who is a finer HC in terms of the final results. They don't call Bill Belichick 'Hoody Genius' for nothing.

pbmax
02-06-2017, 07:39 AM
Clearly .... there cannot even be a conversation as to who is a finer HC in terms of the final results. They don't call Bill Belichick 'Hoody Genius' for nothing.

Only Bretsky calls him that.

bobblehead
02-06-2017, 07:40 AM

Agreed, but I have to wonder if MM would have run immediately on that drive and had a 3 and out and never even gotten into FG range to start with.

ThunderDan
02-06-2017, 08:02 AM
ThunderDan .... Have you not ever won a Yahoo Fantasy Sports Trophy? I will again try to explain this to you.

Here at Packerrats we have always declared our Champion based on the Regular Season Games.

It does NOT end there as we continue the Pro Pickem' into the playoffs through to the end or after the Super Bowl winner is decided. We do this for the recognition of ....Yahoo Fantasy Sports, ThunderDan.

I trust you will understand this in the future.

Here are your words from the Packer Pickem thread:

I will get this thread updated:

Here @ Packerrats we always declare the Pro Pickem Champion based on the schedule of games through to and end and the Regular Schedule games in Week 17.

This 2016 Season our Champion was The Green Bay Status Quo (aka mmmdk) or Euro Rat and he has been a member of Packerrats since May 2006.

Congratulations mmmdk ! You competed strong this season and your consistency paid off.

We had a total of 18 Packerrats enter the Pro Pickem Contest this season and below are the Final Top Ten Standings for the Regular Season:

Standings
4 ThunderDan 1423 155-99
5 Bert Bosch 1416 164-90

I am done with the issue. Sorry Woody, better luck next year beating me.

ThunderDan
02-06-2017, 08:07 AM
'' MM wins that game for ATL if he is the head coach. Why the fuck is ATL passing with 4 minutes left in the game up 8 when they are already in FG range? Horrible.'' ThunderDan

I was disagreeing with this statement:

''MM wins that game for ATL if he is the head coach. ....'' ThunderDan.

When your team defends as poorly as the Green Bay Packers did in 2016 Vs the Pass. You do not win the coin toss and defer to the NO. 1 Passing Team in the NFL. That was a bonehead decision by MM. I do not believe we will ever see that day that MM can go head to head as a HC and out do arguably the smartest HC (Belichick) in the history of the game.

Mike McCarthy Vs Bill Belichick. :idea:

Please try to keep up. We are talking about in the 4th quarter up 8 in FG range. MM takes the air out of the ball and runs 3 times. Makes NE use all of their TOs and then kicks the FG to go up 11.

We are not talking about who is a better coach or record between Bill Belichick and MM. We are talking about ATL's late game strategy and blowing a 25 point lead. Heck, NE didn't even need a successful onside kick to catch up to ATL.

Deputy Nutz
02-06-2017, 08:45 AM
it all came down to that sack. ryan CAN'T take that sack. elite arm but mid-tier brain.

Maybe instead of blaming Ryan you blame his running back who missed his block. Ryan had very little time and got blindsided.

Deputy Nutz
02-06-2017, 08:49 AM
Agreed, but I have to wonder if MM would have run immediately on that drive and had a 3 and out and never even gotten into FG range to start with.

On first down after the Julio catch freeman was caught in the backfield for a two yard loss. The Patriots were catching him for losses more consistently in the second half and I believe they were more worried about another loss running the ball and had a better chance getting into better position throwing the football. Ryan had been lights out and Jones was going to catch anything coming his way. Hindsight is a motherfucker.

Cheesehead Craig
02-06-2017, 09:23 AM
I think ATL was going for the kill on that ill fated sack after the JJ catch. It seemed that Ryan was looking endzone so he held the ball longer. ATL played that drive how they played all season, relying on Ryan and the passing game. They stayed in character and got beat.

mmmdk
02-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Falcons Stayed in character? JJ got only 4 target all night (and 4 catches I might add). Ryan didn't trust the best WR in the NFL; the guy just wins battles with CBs time and again. Matt Ryan passed only 23 times all game and the last two passes by Matty Melt were among the worst play call decisions in the history of NFL super bowl. Save Falcons RB Freeman from what? The game was ending...an easy FG was in the books and a two score game again for the dirty birds and also less time for a Pats comeback. Not even McCarthy would do this! Stupid that is beyond stupid.

ThunderDan
02-06-2017, 10:08 AM
Falcons Stayed in character? JJ got only 4 target all night (and 4 catches I might add). Ryan didn't trust the best WR in the NFL; the guy just wins battles with CBs time and again. Matt Ryan passed only 23 times all game and the last two passes by Matty Melt were among the worst play call decisions in the history of NFL super bowl. Save Falcons RB Freeman from what? The game was ending...an easy FG was in the books and a two score game again for the dirty birds and also less time for a Pats comeback. Not even McCarthy would do this! Stupid that is beyond stupid.

AMEN, MY BROTHER!

Zool
02-06-2017, 10:38 AM
Jones was doubled all game. Every play had a high and low on him.

gbgary
02-06-2017, 10:48 AM
someone on one of the morning talk shows said ne's secondary got extra physical in the second half, because they knew they wouldn't call interference on every play (a la sea), too.

pbmax
02-06-2017, 11:17 AM
On first down after the Julio catch freeman was caught in the backfield for a two yard loss. The Patriots were catching him for losses more consistently in the second half and I believe they were more worried about another loss running the ball and had a better chance getting into better position throwing the football. Ryan had been lights out and Jones was going to catch anything coming his way. Hindsight is a motherfucker.

The sack is the killer. You can't have that.

Holding penalties happen.

pbmax
02-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Maybe instead of blaming Ryan you blame his running back who missed his block. Ryan had very little time and got blindsided.

Maybe I am confused, but the RB who missed a blitz block was the strip sack. Ryan sacked inside Patriot territory late was a D lineman who beat Mack up the middle I think.

Or maybe I just dreamed this.

Cheesehead Craig
02-06-2017, 11:23 AM

My point was that the Falcons lived and died by Ryan's big-play pass attack this season. I'm not saying they didn't choke, I'm just saying that they didn't turtle up (when they should have) which was very much in their character of how they played this season. I think they were going for the kill with a TD pass there. Again, not arguing it was smart, just consistent in what they've done this season.

pbmax
02-06-2017, 11:29 AM

The Falcons averaged an incredible 6.7 yards per play this year. The combo of an explosive offense and a middling Defense meant that the Falcons ran 70 less plays this year than their opponents (700 more yards for the Birds though).

It is completely typical for their offense to be close to even in run-pass ratio. Falcons only had 46 plays, 23 passes (plus 5 sacks).

Doubling Julio worked. Pass pressure, a 2-4 nickel and good tackling did the rest in the second half.

gbgary
02-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Maybe I am confused, but the RB who missed a blitz block was the strip sack. Ryan sacked inside Patriot territory late was a D lineman who beat Mack up the middle I think.

you're right. mack got beat. ryan had at least a full 3 seconds before he started to scramble. he didn't get blindsided either. he kinda spun out of the tackle and mack himself hit ryan at the same time. devastating play.

“For me, I wish I could have found a way to throw it away and not lose that yardage – that would have been important for us,” Ryan said

pbmax
02-06-2017, 11:40 AM
Falcons played man coverage. Since the Patriots altered their offense to be more short pass dominant, some teams idiotically try to play zone against it. The Packers broke this mold in 2010 on Sunday Night Football, the Matt Flynn retirement fund game.

Andy Benoit ‏@Andy_Benoit 10m10 minutes ago
#Falcons foundation was man-free-lurk, which kept free defender in shallow middle, taking away crossers. Great tactic but exhausting to play

But at a 46 to 93 play advantage, they could not keep it up. Patriots did adjust by 3rd Quarter. If you'll notice, lots of comeback patterns, crossers and bunched groups of WR. Mostly though, passes to RB who escaped LB coverage in flats.

gbgary
02-06-2017, 12:15 PM
yup...lots of passes to the rb in the 4th qtr for ne (including the game winner). no jamming by atl dbs either.

Harlan Huckleby
02-06-2017, 12:27 PM
A long field goal attempt is not a great option. You don't want to risk giving N.E. the ball with good field position. I didn't blame Atlanta for passing to get the ball down near the 20. They had enough time to use several quicker passes - but maybe defense was playing tight.

Zool
02-06-2017, 12:28 PM
someone on one of the morning talk shows said ne's secondary got extra physical in the second half, because they knew they wouldn't call interference on every play (a la sea), too.

A la Atl's DBs as well. Remember Adams' exposed shoulder pad on a route early in the game showing that the refs weren't going to be calling much.

mmmdk
02-06-2017, 12:32 PM
My point was that the Falcons lived and died by Ryan's big-play pass attack this season. I'm not saying they didn't choke, I'm just saying that they didn't turtle up (when they should have) which was very much in their character of how they played this season. I think they were going for the kill with a TD pass there. Again, not arguing it was smart, just consistent in what they've done this season.

We're on the same page - 100%, Craig. :tup:

This Falcons SB blunder was an eye opener for me...I hope! I sat with my very best friend, a long time Falcons fan and I witnessed a brain fart beyond brain farts...and Falcons lost in the most horrible way thinkable. This is where my sceptic nature has helped me through the years of "only" 2 SB wins for Packers since 1992 but the news is that I actually now will appreciate the many good Packers seasons more today than I did yesterday (I already did but besides my point). Lombardi and Hoody eras are very rare...even with Packers fortunate decades of having Favre & Rodgers led GB teams. Packers 2016-17 season is a gem. I've always held Packers Majkowski '89 10-6 season in very, very high regard...I've got many of the '89 wins on dvd (back from when it was easy to get nfl games on the world wide web) and Packers recent 8-7-1 season with an injury to AR are among my favorite Packers season (improbable comeback in Dallas)...though sans the 2 modern Pack era SB win seasons.

Anyhoo, Packers 2017-18 is a...Lombardi trophy or bust season...but most of all - let it be a gem!

:pack:

mmmdk
02-06-2017, 12:59 PM
The Falcons averaged an incredible 6.7 yards per play this year. The combo of an explosive offense and a middling Defense meant that the Falcons ran 70 less plays this year than their opponents (700 more yards for the Birds though).

It is completely typical for their offense to be close to even in run-pass ratio. Falcons only had 46 plays, 23 passes (plus 5 sacks).

Doubling Julio worked. Pass pressure, a 2-4 nickel and good tackling did the rest in the second half.

Atlanta didn't stay aggressive on offense and when they did [get aggressive]...Pats licked theirs chops and won a SB; I'd rather have a turnover with throws to an almost covered JJ or Gabriel than lose the way Atlanta did. This is for you Ripkowski, it ain't on you!

Atlanta's season stats are just that...stats. Within the game, this SB LI, you gotta be sharper than what Atalanta were. It's a painful loss but luckily it's only football. Certainly a dark day in november can trump that...(this is no political endorsement for Hilly) yet the one ring must be destroyed. :wink:

pbmax
02-06-2017, 03:09 PM
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nfl-superbowl-ratings-idUSKBN15L1L5?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Co ntent&utm_content=5898e50104d3011ce1f6d31b&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Lowest SB rating number in four years. Only the Harbaugh brothers could make it less interesting.

yetisnowman
02-06-2017, 03:40 PM
I live in Atlanta for those that don't know. The mood in the city today is just palpably morose. It feels like the entire town just had to put their dog down simultaneously. I've never seen anything like it. I didn't think it could get worse than the Packers Seattle debacle, but this makes that look like a preseason game. Falcons were a 99.6 percent favorite with three minutes to go in the third. 1 in 200 chance to lose. Ouch.

pbmax
02-06-2017, 03:54 PM
Everything that went wrong: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Barnwellx170206/anatomy-miracle-how-patriots-came-back-dead-super-bowl-li

gbgary
02-06-2017, 05:27 PM
A la Atl's DBs as well. Remember Adams' exposed shoulder pad on a route early in the game showing that the refs weren't going to be calling much.

yup...that's why i advocated we do the same thing early in the season with our inexperienced dbs. sea has lived on this style for several years now. jam and hold works if the refs don't call it...and if they do call it keep doing it. teams are catching on (except the Packers) and i think you'll see most teams (except the Packers) employ it.

Maxie the Taxi
02-06-2017, 06:50 PM
yup...that's why i advocated we do the same thing early in the season with our inexperienced dbs. sea has lived on this style for several years now. jam and hold works if the refs don't call it...and if they do call it keep doing it. teams are catching on (except the Packers) and i think you'll see most teams (except the Packers) employ it.From what I remember (which isn't much lol) Gunter did his share against Dallas and Atlanta.

Zool
02-06-2017, 08:23 PM
From what I remember (which isn't much lol) Gunter did his share against Dallas and Atlanta.

He did a lot in the first 5 but the arm grabbing as WRs run by you is a fairly new phenomenon. Like the Packers O line holding the top of the shoulder pads.

bobblehead
02-07-2017, 07:48 AM
From what I remember (which isn't much lol) Gunter did his share against Dallas and Atlanta.

And from what I remember (which ain't much) Devon House in the SF game...wait, what was I talking about. Where am I. Shit!

ThunderDan
02-07-2017, 07:53 AM
A long field goal attempt is not a great option. You don't want to risk giving N.E. the ball with good field position. I didn't blame Atlanta for passing to get the ball down near the 20. They had enough time to use several quicker passes - but maybe defense was playing tight.

It was 1 and 10 at the 22 yard line. That is a 39 yard FG.

mmmdk
02-07-2017, 09:16 AM

Brutal fact, just brutal.

hoosier
02-07-2017, 09:33 AM

You have to remember that Harlan's views are still colored by his formative years in the 70s when extra points were an adventure and anyone making more than 50% of his field goals was in the running for Pro Bowl honors.

Pugger
02-07-2017, 09:52 AM

He's probably talking about us deferring in the NFCC game 2 weeks ago.

Pugger
02-07-2017, 09:53 AM
Nothing could be more painful than what just happened to Atlanta

You really have to wonder if that will haunt them for a while and they'll struggle in 2017 just like Carolina did last year.

Pugger
02-07-2017, 09:55 AM

Another big play for NE was earlier when the RB missed the block and Ryan fumbled after getting hit on the blindside. NE only has short field and scores to get back into the game. I think this was a bigger turning point than that sack later on.

Pugger
02-07-2017, 09:59 AM

I thought it was Freeman who missed that block...?

gbgary
02-07-2017, 10:40 AM
Another big play for NE was earlier when the RB missed the block and Ryan fumbled after getting hit on the blindside. NE only has short field and scores to get back into the game. I think this was a bigger turning point than that sack later on.

yup...huge play. but...it didn't determine the game like the coach not running 3 runs and kicking a fg. they had at least 3 points in the bag, which would have made it an eleven point lead, with what...3.5 minutes left? deciding to pass, when there was no reason, and taking a sack, being forced to try to pass again and getting a holding penalty, lost it for them. this was the only time the whole season where someone got to the 22 and had to punt. coach had no situational awareness.

I thought it was Freeman who missed that block...?

no. on the 4 qtr sack, mentioned above, it was the lineman mack.

Pugger
02-08-2017, 12:47 AM
gbgary, that strip sack of Ryan and subsequent fumble changed the tenor of the game and gave NE a huge boost in momentum. I think it was Freeman who missed the block on this play and not the sack in the 4th quarter.

Bretsky
02-08-2017, 06:51 AM

agree; while we sometimes hate MM's lack of killer instinct....he plays the odds, numbers and clock. MM runs three times there and Crosby makes a FG. Atlanta went for the throat and it failed them

Maxie the Taxi
02-08-2017, 08:02 AM
Even Birdie Tebbetts wins that game for Atlanta. lol

pbmax
02-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1h1 hour ago
#Falcons are officially dismissing D.C. Richard Smith & DL coach Bryan Cox, per the team. Smith may stay in an advisory role. He's exploring

Falcons are expected to promote from within for their defensive coordinator. Two options: DBs coach Marquand Manuel & LBs coach Jeff Ulbrich

I PREDICT HERE AND NOW THAT THE FALCONS WILL MISS THE PLAYOFFS NEXT YEAR

Maxie the Taxi
02-08-2017, 09:39 AM
#Falcons are officially dismissing D.C. Richard Smith & DL coach Bryan Cox, per the team. Smith may stay in an advisory role. He's exploring

Falcons are expected to promote from within for their defensive coordinator. Two options: DBs coach Marquand Manuel & LBs coach Jeff Ulbrich

I PREDICT HERE AND NOW THAT THE FALCONS WILL MISS THE PLAYOFFS NEXT YEARSacrifices to the god of fan pressure.

pbmax
02-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Sacrifices to the god of fan pressure.

Seems akin to sacking Donatell.

pbmax
02-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Hello Tom.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4GtC6OWQAc8e8F.jpg:large

gbgary
02-08-2017, 09:57 AM
the key sack in the 4th qtr: flowers beats mack...

Trey-Flowers-takes-down-Matt-Ryan-for-a-loss-of-12-yards (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-super-bowl/0ap3000000783651/Trey-Flowers-takes-down-Matt-Ryan-for-a-loss-of-12-yards)

pbmax
02-08-2017, 10:20 AM
agree; while we sometimes hate MM's lack of killer instinct....he plays the odds, numbers and clock. MM runs three times there and Crosby makes a FG. Atlanta went for the throat and it failed them

The good news is that we have definitive proof of when the 4 minute offense should start:

4:40 in Fourth Q, up 16 points and in position for FG to go up 3 scores.

Other rules, don't get sacked; if it inevitable, step up.

ThunderDan
02-08-2017, 10:45 AM

No ATL didn't go for the throat. They already had the throat and the game wrapped up. They tried for the throat with a beautiful bow on it. While they were trying to tie the bow NE kicked them in the nuts and strangled them out.

woodbuck27
02-09-2017, 08:17 AM

Exactly.

ThunderDan gets a little too Jacked Up at times and misses the TRUTH.

He still likely believes he finished ahead of me in the Packerrats Pro Pickem. He is hilarious. :whaa:

woodbuck27
02-09-2017, 08:29 AM
You might want to place all the blame on how Atlanta called one series of plays late in the fourth quarter; but if you look at the video ( see LINK below) you will clearly see the other side of the coin and what Tom Brady and Company did to crawl back into and win that game after being 25 points down.

You cannot take away the Tom Brady passing.

Please see the Video at the bottom of this LINK:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2691440-tom-bradys-super-bowl-51-jersey-goes-missing-after-patriots-win-vs-falcons?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=nfl

woodbuck27
02-09-2017, 08:42 AM
I believe this is a much bigger story than an Atlanta decision to throw the ball on a second down and long with what? ... under 4 minutes remaining in regulation:

Here is that story ... the total story:

The Greatest Comeback Ever

Tom Brady’s season started with a four-game suspension and ended, in dramatic fashion, with his fifth championship after the Patriots overcame the largest deficit in Super Bowl history.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/05/nfl-super-bowl-51-new-england-patriots-tom-brady-bill-belichick-fifth-super-bowl-ring

Harlan Huckleby
02-09-2017, 01:26 PM

You're right, I thought that Jones' miracle catch was further out. They should have run on first down. But once they lost yardage, I agree with passing.

ThunderDan
02-09-2017, 01:40 PM
You're right, I thought that Jones' miracle catch was further out. They should have run on first down. But once they lost yardage, I agree with passing.

HH, they did run on 1st down and passed on 2nd. They should have run on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down and kicked a FG on 4th.

ThunderDan
02-09-2017, 01:49 PM

Pugger, who knows what Woodbuck is really thinking. Here is what started the conversation.

MM rides on the coattail of Aaron Rodgers.

So Woody's comment makes no sense. He is criticizing MM for deferring 2 weeks ago when that is exactly the same thing the ATL coach did in the Super Bowl. Therefore MM wouldn't have won the game for ATL if he was the coach for the last 4 minutes of the game.:huh:

My comment was specifically about the last 4 minutes and how MM likes to finish games. Somehow Woody thinks that has something to do with deferring the opening kickoff.

ThunderDan
02-09-2017, 02:00 PM
I believe this is a much bigger story than an Atlanta decision to throw the ball on a second down and long with what? ... under 4 minutes remaining in regulation:

It certainly isn't. It was still 2nd and 11 from the 23. They could have gone victory formation for 2nd and 3rd down and it is over. Instead they try a pass and get sacked. It was then 3rd and 23 from the 35. Now I can understanding throwing a 5-8 yard completion to move the FG back under 50 yards. But they had no reason to pass from the 23 on 2nd down.

Harlan Huckleby
02-09-2017, 02:52 PM
HH, they did run on 1st down and passed on 2nd. They should have run on 1st, 2nd and 3rd down and kicked a FG on 4th.

I really don't remember the game very well. But they lost significant yardage on two plays, a penalty and sack? As soon as they lost yardage, I am fine with their passing to get a shorter FG.

Harlan Huckleby
02-09-2017, 02:54 PM
But they had no reason to pass from the 23 on 2nd down.

Ya, they had no reason to pass on any down when they were inside the 25.

ThunderDan
02-09-2017, 05:12 PM
I really don't remember the game very well. But they lost significant yardage on two plays, a penalty and sack? As soon as they lost yardage, I am fine with their passing to get a shorter FG.

Yup the passed on 2nd down and got sacked. They tried a pass on third that was successful but offensive holding was called. After the 10 yards, ATL third down play was an incomplete pass. Punt on 4th down.

woodbuck27
02-10-2017, 09:55 AM

Of course you are correct and the culprit here is the ** Atlanta OC Kyle Shanahan **. His silly ego tripped him and the Atlanta Falcons up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Shanahan

OC's are famous for this sort or ego error. Kyle Shanahan needed to keep it simple and his first call and last call on that series should 'of course' be to run the ball on and on fourth down kick a FG.

The whole point of my protest is focused on you claiming that MM would have called it right: i

Too often MM doesn't call it right.

I illustrated that by simply going back to his last game when he allowed Atlanta to take the ball on offence after winning the beginning of game coin toss. If you win that coin toss you take your Offence onto the field; and especially so, when your defensive secondary sucks and you are going to have to defend against the NFL's NO. 1 passing offence.

King Friday
02-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Their largest mistake was not running on 3rd and 1 when New England forced the fumble and recovered.

Just running the ball there and punting would've eaten up another 45 sec of clock time and given the Patriots about 45 yards more to go before scoring. That would've made a comeback nearly impossible without an onside kick recovery or multiple big chunk plays offensively.

ThunderDan
02-10-2017, 04:33 PM
Twice in the game ATL was in FG range. Once after the onside kick (32 yard line) and once after Julio's amazing catch(23 yard line). In both situations they punted after sacks.

gbgary
02-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Twice in the game ATL was in FG range. Once after the onside kick (32 yard line) and once after Julio's amazing catch(23 yard line). In both situations they punted after sacks.

yes! the later being the worse of the two. it was their last chance. there were other mistakes and big plays before this but this was their last, and easiest, chance to put the game away. the sack, then the holding call, then the punt, sealed their fate. their defense was exhausted from being on the field for 90+ plays. they had nothing left.