PDA

View Full Version : JS-----IS LACY WORTH THE WEIGHT ???

Bretsky
02-11-2017, 08:31 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/dougherty/2017/02/10/dougherty-lacy-still-worth-weight/97745806/

Joemailman
02-11-2017, 09:03 AM
"I contacted an agent who has studied the running back market because of a client hitting free agency, and he guessed that Lacy will get a deal worth about $2 million plus plenty of incentives. Maybe it will end up being more, but if it’s even near that range, that’s low risk for the Packers."]

I've been lukewarm about signing Lacy, but if they can get him for that, do it!

red
02-11-2017, 09:17 AM
if lacy is only going to get that much then he is waaaay heavier then any of us thought

texaspackerbacker
02-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Lacy always reminded me of the Colorado University mascot when he ran - and I wouldn't want to have to tackle that thing. My point is, other than endurance - and you can always give him breaks, I don't think playing at a higher weight hurts Lacy's performance.

Just the same, though, I have said, and I still say I hope they don't sign him for much more than the vet minimum. Given the same hole, Montgomery or Michael get a helluva lot more yards; And given no hole at all, Lacy has never been a Jim Brown anyway. Somebody will pay him a lot more than we should.

pbmax
02-11-2017, 10:31 AM
Lacy always reminded me of the Colorado University mascot when he ran - and I wouldn't want to have to tackle that thing. My point is, other than endurance - and you can always give him breaks, I don't think playing at a higher weight hurts Lacy's performance.

Tell his ankles that.

woodbuck27
02-11-2017, 10:54 AM
It is all right here:

There's reason to be a Lacy skeptic.

a) He had everything to play for (i.e., a new contract) in 2016, but after losing weight early in the spring he slowly put it back on until by the start of the season he looked like he was pretty much back where he’d ended 2015.

Then several months of limited activity after ankle surgery made the hill climb even higher.

b) Based on his last sighting during media availability in the locker room in January, he if anything has added a few pounds.

c) Weight battles like this are tough.

A scout I talked to late this week likened it to a player with a substance-abuse problem in that you can go to great lengths to help him, but it won’t matter until he’s all in.

“It’s not a matter of just changing habits here and there,” the scout said, “it’s a matter of changing your lifestyle. Your eating habits, day to day your exercise habits, your approach to it all.”

Guiness
02-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Tell his ankles that.

He absolutely was heavy, but incredibly he seemed fit and was running very well. IMO it was that stupid jumping/hurdling he started doing, while it was somewhat effective every time I saw him do it I was sure it was going to cause trouble - don't know why the coaches didn't put a stop to it.

Guiness
02-11-2017, 12:02 PM

Just the same, though, I have said, and I still say I hope they don't sign him for much more than the vet minimum. Given the same hole, Montgomery or Michael get a helluva lot more yards; And given no hole at all, Lacy has never been a Jim Brown anyway. Somebody will pay him a lot more than we should.

I'm not so sure or confident about Michael at all. He was a warm body when the Pack needed one, and showed very little. Hole or no hole, he danced behind the line and often went down there because of it.

Vincenzo
02-11-2017, 12:33 PM
if lacy is only going to get that much then he is waaaay heavier then any of us thought
How heavy do you suspect he is right now, a tub of lard maybe?

Cheesehead Craig
02-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Sign him for DL depth.

Fritz
02-11-2017, 01:11 PM

I think they should . . . weight..

Teamcheez1
02-11-2017, 03:01 PM
He has surpassed Craig Ironhead Heyward in weight and is approaching Jared Lorenzen size.

red
02-11-2017, 05:39 PM
How heavy do you suspect he is right now, a tub of lard maybe?

well, if you follow all the rumors on his weight over the last 2 years, he could have ended last season as high as 265, he lost a little according to one sideline report, but nowhere near as much as the 15 pounds or so the team wanted him to lose

then by the start of this season, the reports were that he had put it all back on, and the eye test proves that

then he had ankle surgery, so he wasn't able to work out at all. now reports are saying he's put on even more

so we could be looking at a running back that weighs 270+ at the least

if, he is somehow worth only 2 million plus incentives, then he could be even heavier

i mean hell, starks got 3 million a year to be a backup to a workhorse

pbmax
02-11-2017, 06:30 PM
He lost more than the 15 in the offseason, those pics showed that. But by June's minicamp, he had put weight back on. McCarthy wouldn't comment but did say there was more to do. So either he was back over the threshold or they knew it would be a battle because he had already gained weight back.

By camp, he was much closer to last season's weight, but in far better shape as you could see on his runs.

The problem is that he cannot consistently maintain a weight with his habits as they are right now. Like Gilbert, he needs a babysitter.

LEWCWA
02-11-2017, 07:32 PM
I'm not so sure or confident about Michael at all. He was a warm body when the Pack needed one, and showed very little. Hole or no hole, he danced behind the line and often went down there because of it.

I agree, Michael is not a good running back.....

red
02-11-2017, 07:59 PM
He lost more than the 15 in the offseason, those pics showed that. But by June's minicamp, he had put weight back on. McCarthy wouldn't comment but did say there was more to do. So either he was back over the threshold or they knew it would be a battle because he had already gained weight back.

By camp, he was much closer to last season's weight, but in far better shape as you could see on his runs.

The problem is that he cannot consistently maintain a weight with his habits as they are right now. Like Gilbert, he needs a babysitter.

nah thats what the early rumor was, that he lost 15, the sideline report during one of the early games said he got nowhere near that, and at his peak might have lost only half that

pictures don't mean dick. i can suck n my gut and look in shape too for a picture

Joemailman
02-11-2017, 10:22 PM

Not necessarily. He's known to struggle with his weight, and he's coming off a season ending injury. It's understandable teams would be hesitant to give him big money until they know something about his conditioning and his ankle.

pbmax
02-11-2017, 10:46 PM
nah thats what the early rumor was, that he lost 15, the sideline report during one of the early games said he got nowhere near that, and at his peak might have lost only half that

pictures don't mean dick. i can suck n my gut and look in shape too for a picture

I don't believe that at all. He might have reported to camp at less than half that weight loss, but during the spring he was visibly thinner.

This was May: http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/30392/from-protein-shakes-to-snow-shoveling-a-day-with-eddie-lacy-and-tony-horton
http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0524%2Fr86005_1296x729_16% 2D9.jpg&w=570

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2016/03/02/0302-lacy-horton-facebook-4.jpg

http://media.jrn.com/images/lacy_split.jpg

Fritz
02-12-2017, 08:32 AM
Actually, the Packers have him right where they want him. They ought to be able to re-sign him for a reasonable, very reasonable, one year deal. In the meantime, they can draft and rook and Montgomery will get better with a full offseason and camp of training as a RB.

Green Bay can afford to weight to see what other teams do. IF someone else wants to overpay, well, that's just that much more Chick Fil A that Eddy can afford.

Pugger
02-12-2017, 10:30 AM
Actually, the Packers have him right where they want him. They ought to be able to re-sign him for a reasonable, very reasonable, one year deal. In the meantime, they can draft and rook and Montgomery will get better with a full offseason and camp of training as a RB.

Green Bay can afford to weight to see what other teams do. IF someone else wants to overpay, well, that's just that much more Chick Fil A that Eddy can afford.

:lol:

red
02-12-2017, 11:43 AM
Not necessarily. He's known to struggle with his weight, and he's coming off a season ending injury. It's understandable teams would be hesitant to give him big money until they know something about his conditioning and his ankle.

2 million is what teams throw at players with issues with hardly any talent at all

lacy has plenty of talent, someone will pay him if not us

bobblehead
02-12-2017, 12:05 PM
2 million is what teams throw at players with issues with hardly any talent at all

lacy has plenty of talent, someone will pay him if not us

Not RBs. Of all the positions in the game it might be the most "young mans position" of them all. With guys like Latavius Murry up for FA this year Eddie might find it hard to get anyone to pay him a lot.

Joemailman
02-12-2017, 12:12 PM
2 million is solid backup territory. But we're talking about 2 million plus incentives. When talking about incentives, details matter. But if the incentives are significant and attainable, Lacy might go for a deal like that.

Keep in mind, NFL teams have always had their concerns about Lacy. There are reasons why a guy who had obvious 1st round talent was available at the end of the 2nd round.

red
02-12-2017, 12:15 PM
does it win lacy any brownie points that he played that week 6 game on an already messed up ankle that fat mike called "not a serious injury"

Joemailman
02-12-2017, 12:29 PM
does it win lacy any brownie points that he played that week 6 game on an already messed up ankle that fat mike called "not a serious injury"

Probably, but it might be offset by the fact that the Packers and other teams don't know how bad the ankle is. Will teams want to offer big money to a RB with a bad ankle? Keep in mind that there could be a correlation between his weight and the bad ankle.

texaspackerbacker
02-12-2017, 02:20 PM
Nobody, certainly not I, would accuse Lacy of lacking courage. And whatever his ankle problem was/is, it shouldn't carry into next season. My gripe about him is just the kind of back he is in general. If somebody doesn't have the power running ability of Jim Brown or Earl Campbell - and virtually nobody does, including Lacy, then the team is better off with a RB with more speed and cutting ability.

As for "correlation between his weight and the bad ankle", if that's the case, then why don't just about every O Linemen and a lot of D Linemen have chronic ankle problems? There are a helluva lot of fatties in football and out with no problem that way - I say that as one of them hahahaha.

red
02-12-2017, 02:34 PM
are those fatties sprinting, spinning and jumping like lacy does

and yes, actually most of them do have knee and ankle problems i believe

the 245-255 lacy is exactly the kinda of back we need in green bay, a mudder that can get 4 to 5 yards every carry. fast quick backs get nerfed late in the season when the weather gets cold and shitty

the big question is, can he ever get back and stay at that weight, cause it doesn't work being as big as he's been the last couple years. you would think he works out enough during the season, so he's got to change his diet or start doing what i did, switch from beer to rum and diet coke

Joemailman
02-12-2017, 03:16 PM

the 245-255 lacy is exactly the kinda of back we need in green bay, a mudder that can get 4 to 5 yards every carry. fast quick backs get nerfed late in the season when the weather gets cold and shitty

the big question is, can he ever get back and stay at that weight, cause it doesn't work being as big as he's been the last couple years. you would think he works out enough during the season, so he's got to change his diet or start doing what i did, switch from beer to rum and diet coke

I think Lacy's weight problems happen when he goes back home. It seemed he put the weight back on last year between the OTA's and training camp. Maybe he should live with Rodgers and eat that California stuff instead of going back to New Orleans for his mom's crawfish.

red
02-12-2017, 04:52 PM
maybe so, he did come to training camp with a gut, that i kept telling everyone, only to be told i was wrong because the homer news kept saying he was super slim, but he gained a lot between the start of camp and the time he got injured

and if he really had lost all the weight that some folks are saying he did, i doubt fat mike would have fined him, even if he had just gotten close to the target weight

red
02-12-2017, 04:57 PM
and do you think crawdads are really all that fattening?

man you have to work so hard just to get a little bit of meat. i would imagine you'd lose more calories then you would gain by eating them

alquaal
02-12-2017, 05:11 PM
and do you think crawdads are really all that fattening?

man you have to work so hard just to get a little bit of meat. i would imagine you'd lose more calories then you would gain by eating them

Squeeze the tail and suck the head......hardly any work.

Zool
02-12-2017, 06:47 PM
The argument about running in GB late in the season has to have been debunked by now. When we the last muddy game the Packers played? Monty got 180 in December in Chicago. The old adage of late season plodding RBs has been replaced by 300 yard passing days in January.

Zool
02-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Squeeze the tail and suck the head......hardly any work.

/r/nocontext calling

pbmax
02-13-2017, 09:41 AM
I think Lacy's weight problems happen when he goes back home. It seemed he put the weight back on last year between the OTA's and training camp. Maybe he should live with Rodgers and eat that California stuff instead of going back to New Orleans for his mom's crawfish.

He doesn't need calf problems.

pbmax
02-13-2017, 09:42 AM
The argument about running in GB late in the season has to have been debunked by now. When we the last muddy game the Packers played? Monty got 180 in December in Chicago. The old adage of late season plodding RBs has been replaced by 300 yard passing days in January.

But Saint Ron said this, so it must be true.

Even if he never really adhered to it. Unless you want to count mudder Edgar Bennett.

texaspackerbacker
02-13-2017, 07:22 PM

The days of big clods who can't move are long gone. A slow O Lineman has a maybe 5.0-5.5 time in the 40. Try running that. Neither I nor, I suspect, almost anybody posting here could do that at the primest time of their life. I didn't watch much of the Senior Bowl practices, but one thing I did see was some running drills of the linemen, and believe me, some of those fatties were really hauling ass.

And emphatically NO, what the Packers need is NOT "a mudder that can get 4 to 5 yards every carry". Partly that is because our O Line just doesn't make it possible; Partly it is because so many games are played on artificial turf or fast fields in warm climates; Mostly it is because we have Aaron Rodgers, which means our passing game should dominate and our running game should mostly consist of surprises/change of pace plays/etc. mixed in.

And diet, nutrition, and crap like that are greatly overrated.

red
02-13-2017, 08:00 PM
The days of big clods who can't move are long gone. A slow O Lineman has a maybe 5.0-5.5 time in the 40. Try running that. Neither I nor, I suspect, almost anybody posting here could do that at the primest time of their life. I didn't watch much of the Senior Bowl practices, but one thing I did see was some running drills of the linemen, and believe me, some of those fatties were really hauling ass.

And emphatically NO, what the Packers need is NOT "a mudder that can get 4 to 5 yards every carry". Partly that is because our O Line just doesn't make it possible; Partly it is because so many games are played on artificial turf or fast fields in warm climates; Mostly it is because we have Aaron Rodgers, which means our passing game should dominate and our running game should mostly consist of surprises/change of pace plays/etc. mixed in.

4.3, in the primest of my life

texaspackerbacker
02-13-2017, 10:52 PM
hahahaha I did say "almost".

pbmax
02-14-2017, 07:41 AM

I confess, I have a hard time imagining you as a WR or DB.

bobblehead
02-14-2017, 10:49 AM

Holy Smokes. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

bobblehead
02-14-2017, 10:50 AM

With your mom holding the stopwatch maybe.

bobblehead
02-14-2017, 10:51 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/3/1/4038740/2013-nfl-combine-high-school-40-yard-dash-times

bobblehead
02-14-2017, 10:55 AM
When I got to college everyone I knew ran a 4.4 or a 4.3 in high school. I ran a 4.58 timed in madtown by Don Morton's staff. Of all the kids claiming a 4.4 or a 4.3 (and one 4.2) only one person ever beat me in paced off 40. He beat me by about 2 feet.

red
02-14-2017, 11:38 AM
With your mom holding the stopwatch maybe.

lol, no

texaspackerbacker
02-14-2017, 12:05 PM
Holy Smokes. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

You mean you, of all people actually buy into the crap put out by the damn "nutrition Nazis"? The closest thing I've had to vegetables in 30 or 40 years is French fries. I double down on greasy salty food and processed meat. I load up on ice cream, cookies, donuts, etc. and you won't find a healthier 70 year old (in 2 months) than I am.

The shit about eating what "they" say is good for you is just designed to make life miserable for Good Normal people. Eat what makes you happy, and you'll be happier and healthier.

And I call bullshit on your 40 time, Bobblehead. They didn't time to the hundredth of a second back when Morton was at U.W. - I'm not sure they even used 40 times.

Deputy Nutz
02-14-2017, 12:28 PM
We can all agree that Tex is a psycho. So don't listen to any of his nonsense.

Anyways, whatever the reason for Lacy being a fat ass the bottom line is he is a fat ass that struggles to maintain a healthy build for professional football.

Cheesehead Craig
02-14-2017, 12:48 PM

Anyways, whatever the reason for Lacy being a fat ass the bottom line is he is a fat ass that struggles to maintain a healthy build for professional football.

True that. Lacy really isn't worth it as a #1 RB anymore, that much is obvious. Can he be an effective #2 with 8-10 carries/game? Not for more than 2-3 mil/yr, IMO, plus you'd have to absolutely carry a 3rd RB, which would likely be a rookie. He just seems to get hurt so damn much. I'm of the opinion to just cut bait with him though. I think he's eaten through his chances.

texaspackerbacker
02-14-2017, 01:28 PM

Nutz, you imbecile, your name describes you. Your kind is out of touch and out of tune with the huge majority in this country.

Nevertheless, it's undoubtedly true that Lacy has a weight problem. There have been players like that before, and there will be plenty of others who have successful NFL careers. It seems like Gilbert Brown had something profound to say on that subject. I'll give you the idea that pro athletes need to be a little more careful about quantity and to a lesser extent, quality than regular people. In general, though, nutrition crap is just that: crap.

And Craig, I pretty much agree with what you side too. We're better off without Lacy.

Deputy Nutz
02-14-2017, 01:55 PM
Gilbert Brown ate himself out of the league and as a nose tackle that is a hard thing to do. Lacy is a running back that extra weight does not have an added benefit, but you are right I am the imbecile. Find a better comparison.

Also I am not arguing with you that the basis of our nutrition is given to us by the corn, wheat, and sugar industries along with GMO grown crops, but I will refuse to take your personal journey as truth for America.

Zool
02-14-2017, 03:15 PM
Tex is hillbilly Partial. I wonder if he posts on any weightlifting forums?

bobblehead
02-14-2017, 04:11 PM
You mean you, of all people actually buy into the crap put out by the damn "nutrition Nazis"? The closest thing I've had to vegetables in 30 or 40 years is French fries. I double down on greasy salty food and processed meat. I load up on ice cream, cookies, donuts, etc. and you won't find a healthier 70 year old (in 2 months) than I am.

The shit about eating what "they" say is good for you is just designed to make life miserable for Good Normal people. Eat what makes you happy, and you'll be happier and healthier.

And I call bullshit on your 40 time, Bobblehead. They didn't time to the hundredth of a second back when Morton was at U.W. - I'm not sure they even used 40 times.

You realize Morton was there in 1989 right? They absolutely timed to the 100th, but it was all handheld back then.

And I realize your scientific study of what you, one man eats, trumps mountains of data put together regarding nutrition over the past 1000 years, but seriously?

https://www.drlife.com/meet-dr-life/

This guy is 77 and a nutrition and hormone fanatic and expert. Are you more healthy than him?

texaspackerbacker
02-14-2017, 06:36 PM
OK Bobblehead, I'll yield to your speed and athleticism hahahahaha. I know the NFL - and presumably colleges too - didn't go to lasers until after Morton was gone, but I Googled stop watches, and to my surprise, they do make them good to hundredths. I know I never saw one like that. I also tried to establish when 40 times even began to be a thing. I couldn't get any specific time, but there doesn't seem to be much mention of it before the late '90s. I sure don't recall it even being talked about back then, and if it was, it was in tenths, not hundredths of a second - but whatever.

Your 77 year old man crush is a "hormone fanatic"? What does that even mean? It doesn't sound very healthy. Maybe Lacy should get on whatever he's on hahahaha. I will say, I'm pretty sure I'm about as healthy and a whole lot happier - eating whatever I damn well please, and THAT is the key to a long healthy life. If I suddenly stop posting before 30 years from now when I reach 100, I guess you guys can have the satisfaction of claiming I was wrong - assuming ya'all live that long hahahahaha.

I almost forgot, it was a torn biceps muscle that ended Gilbert Brown's career, not gravy, etc.

pbmax
02-14-2017, 07:05 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/3/1/4038740/2013-nfl-combine-high-school-40-yard-dash-times

I agree with the idea that HS times are probably bogus, but some of their examples are probably explainable through other circumstances.

You get a O lineman out of HS he might be 240-260. If he's at the combine, he is at least 280 if not more. I could see losing half a second.

The skill position guys would still need to be adjusted for injuries.

red
02-14-2017, 07:30 PM
OK Bobblehead, I'll yield to your speed and athleticism hahahahaha. I know the NFL - and presumably colleges too - didn't go to lasers until after Morton was gone, but I Googled stop watches, and to my surprise, they do make them good to hundredths. I know I never saw one like that. I also tried to establish when 40 times even began to be a thing. I couldn't get any specific time, but there doesn't seem to be much mention of it before the late '90s. I sure don't recall it even being talked about back then, and if it was, it was in tenths, not hundredths of a second - but whatever.

Your 77 year old man crush is a "hormone fanatic"? What does that even mean? It doesn't sound very healthy. Maybe Lacy should get on whatever he's on hahahaha. I will say, I'm pretty sure I'm about as healthy and a whole lot happier - eating whatever I damn well please, and THAT is the key to a long healthy life. If I suddenly stop posting before 30 years from now when I reach 100, I guess you guys can have the satisfaction of claiming I was wrong - assuming ya'all live that long hahahahaha.

I almost forgot, it was a torn biceps muscle that ended Gilbert Brown's career, not gravy, etc.

40 times were a thing for sure in the very early 90's, at least

Freak Out
02-14-2017, 10:19 PM
LOL. Funny ass shit in here. Personal 40 times? LOL Where is the shutdown corner? Ha!

I still think Lacy has the talent if he can just discipline himself and sacrifice a bit for his career. If he is healthy and committed give him some money...if he heals up fine but is fat and lazy let him go.

Deputy Nutz
02-15-2017, 08:10 AM
Tex is hillbilly Partial. I wonder if he posts on any weightlifting forums?

I think Tex is more of a health and nutrition forum kind of fella. Shredding fools with medical degrees with his experience and logic!

Deputy Nutz
02-15-2017, 08:12 AM
I agree with the idea that HS times are probably bogus, but some of their examples are probably explainable through other circumstances.

You get a O lineman out of HS he might be 240-260. If he's at the combine, he is at least 280 if not more. I could see losing half a second.

The skill position guys would still need to be adjusted for injuries.

They have combines for high school kids. Each state probably has 3 or 4 different regional combines. In Southeastern Wisconsin we have one that gets about 500 kids. I would think times would be on the up and up. No longer is it just a high school coach with a stop watch giving benefits to his players.

Deputy Nutz
02-15-2017, 08:21 AM

You are so fucking stupid. Gilbert was cut by the Packers in the prime years of his career because he was too fat. The Packers did not renew his contract for the 2000 season and no other team picked him up. He had to go back to Kansas to get his fat ass back in shape. He then came back in relatively good shape and it was a pleasant surprise in camp in 2001. In 2003 he tore a bicep and ended up playing most of the year with one arm. When you are partially famous because Burger King gives you a sponsorship and names a burger after you, it is a good sign you might have a weight problem.

texaspackerbacker
02-15-2017, 09:44 AM
hahahaha You got something against Burger King? What are ya, a damn vegan?

As I recall, asking for too much money also had a lot to do with not getting his contract renewed. He played pretty well with that massive gut, but not quite good enough for the money he wanted. I read also that he ballooned way up after that, and had to go to some fat farm with a personal trainer. He then came back at about 340 - about the same as he was before it all.

As a matter of fact, Nutz, I have posted on a couple of health forums as well as commented on a lot of articles - saying pretty much what I've said here. Not surprisingly - to me at least - a lot of people seem to disagree with the shit those "experts" put out.

Pugger
02-15-2017, 09:54 AM
True that. Lacy really isn't worth it as a #1 RB anymore, that much is obvious. Can he be an effective #2 with 8-10 carries/game? Not for more than 2-3 mil/yr, IMO, plus you'd have to absolutely carry a 3rd RB, which would likely be a rookie. He just seems to get hurt so damn much. I'm of the opinion to just cut bait with him though. I think he's eaten through his chances.

Yeah, who in the hell needs a RB who averages 5.1 yards a pop like Eddie did last season before he reinjuried his ankle?

Deputy Nutz
02-15-2017, 09:59 AM
Pugger, I agree! The question is Lacy going to be in the same condition as he was at the beginning of 2016. After the ankle has been rehabilitated can he find the motivation to sculpt his body back into a professional football player?

SkinBasket
02-15-2017, 10:28 AM
I made my own mayonnaise yesterday. I would be happy to share it with Lacy, because it's pretty bad.

Deputy Nutz
02-15-2017, 11:32 AM
Black people hate mayonnaise

pbmax
02-15-2017, 12:16 PM
They have combines for high school kids. Each state probably has 3 or 4 different regional combines. In Southeastern Wisconsin we have one that gets about 500 kids. I would think times would be on the up and up. No longer is it just a high school coach with a stop watch giving benefits to his players.

I had no idea. And its not just a camp run by the local college?

pbmax
02-15-2017, 12:21 PM
Yeah, who in the hell needs a RB who averages 5.1 yards a pop like Eddie did last season before he reinjuried his ankle?

Exactly.

red
02-15-2017, 02:23 PM
Black people hate mayonnaise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubV3t9_CwDc

Deputy Nutz
02-15-2017, 02:57 PM
I had no idea. And its not just a camp run by the local college?

nope, no colleges

pbmax
02-15-2017, 03:12 PM
nope, no colleges

So who runs it? HS coaches? Is it to give kids a chance to get scholarships to college?

Or more skills improvement camp?

Cheesehead Craig
02-15-2017, 03:14 PM

Yeah, who needs a RB that can't stay healthy and has a chronic weight problem?

Rutnstrut
02-15-2017, 03:28 PM
Yeah, who needs a RB that can't stay healthy and has a chronic weight problem?

Whoever the back is he will have to be a self motivated gym rat to stay in shape. He certainly isn't going to get whipped into a physical beast by the amount of carries stubby doles out.

Joemailman
02-15-2017, 04:02 PM
Whoever the back is he will have to be a self motivated gym rat to stay in shape. He certainly isn't going to get whipped into a physical beast by the amount of carries stubby doles out.

Packers were 29th this year in rushing attempts, but that was due to the injury situation at RB. They were 14th in 2015 and 13th in 2014.

Deputy Nutz
02-16-2017, 08:49 AM
So who runs it? HS coaches? Is it to give kids a chance to get scholarships to college?

Or more skills improvement camp?

The Wisconsin Football Coaches Association runs it.
http://www.wifca.org/combine

pbmax
02-16-2017, 10:11 AM
The Wisconsin Football Coaches Association runs it.
http://www.wifca.org/combine

OK, its for college coaches looking for players:

We will test on the following: 40, Pro Agility, L- drill, vertical broad jump, and bench press. You will get two (2) attempts at each test. Every player will get a verified height and weight figure as well.

Also, after testing is completed, Class of 2018 and 2019 quarterbacks and receivers are invited to participate in on-field passing drills in front of college coaches.

Results will be posted on Wifca.org and WisSports.net, and provided to D1, D2, and D3 colleges across the Midwest. College coaches will be in attendance once again (61 attended last year from numerous states around the Midwest), including Division 1 schools (there were 10 D1 coaches there last year). To view results from last year's Combine, which featured more than 515 athletes, please click here.

So if red's 4.3 forty was measured at this event, I would consider it more reliable than a number he got measured at his school.

red
02-16-2017, 12:31 PM
it as not measured at that event, and yes it was handheld

take it at what you will, i never played, i was just a really fast little fucker

i can also tell you i was all acceleration with a lower top end speed

i will come clean, my last official timing was when i was 15 and it was a 4.52. the 4.3 is an estimate based on where i ended up, i got much faster in my college days. when i got to college i played a lot of pickup ball with the division 1 boys, who were timed in that range. and i could beat em all.

but the 4.52 was hand timed by a very good high school coach, just like guys like deon sanders or all those guys were timed back in the bay

plus we all know from watching the combines, everyone in the room will have a different time, and they can be withing .2 seconds or so of each other

but it still goes back to the original point, tex said none of us could run a 5.5 or so in our prime. and thats not so true

i doubt i could beat a 5.5 now though, probably not a 7.5

texaspackerbacker
02-16-2017, 01:11 PM
I said ALMOST none - maybe you're the exception that proves the rule. I'm just saying I doubt most regular human beings in their prime could outrun let's say Gilbert Brown or B.J. Raji in their prime in the 40. I know we have (or had) a shutdown Corner who dominated Darren Charles in H.S. in here, and you, red, but most of the rest of us, I doubt it.

red
02-16-2017, 05:48 PM
i bet theres more then you think, is what i was trying to get at

BZnDallas
02-18-2017, 10:00 AM
If you're saying most regular human beings then I would most definitely have to disagree with you Tex. I know plenty of regular people that can run fast. Most high school and college sports players could outrun Gilbert and BJ. Think of HS soccer clubs, or track teams, or any number of sports. These kids grow up to be regular people. But in their prime, Big Gil and BJ prolly don't have much of a chance. Now if you're saying Gilbert and BJ are faster than most of the people in this forum, then I think I'd definitely have to agree with you. I was certainly no burner growing up. I did have pretty fast hands on the basketball court for a big man, and a pretty nice fastball while dropping a couple bombs in little league. Football was average and thats was about the extent of my athletic prime. :huh:

yetisnowman
02-18-2017, 10:14 AM
I said ALMOST none - maybe you're the exception that proves the rule. I'm just saying I doubt most regular human beings in their prime could outrun let's say Gilbert Brown or B.J. Raji in their prime in the 40. I know we have (or had) a shutdown Corner who dominated Darren Charles in H.S. in here, and you, red, but most of the rest of us, I doubt it.

I'm almost 35 and I could outrun a 20 year old BJ RAJI no problem. I ran a sub 4.5 once in high school. I'd venture to say most if not all post pubescent young males can beat a 5.5 easily as long as they aren't obese or uncoordinated. 5.5 is really slow.

red
02-18-2017, 11:52 AM
Yeah, for those that have never run, or never run against a clock. 5.5 isn't that hard to do at all

gbgary
02-18-2017, 03:17 PM
deion sanders says now that he's the fastest regular guy on the planet.

ThunderDan
02-18-2017, 03:43 PM
Rich Eisen in a suit ran a 5.94 at the combine last year.

red
02-18-2017, 04:09 PM

at almost 50 years old and a guy that doesn't look like he works out much, and in a suit like you said

plus, it never looks like the guy has ever run before when he does that, it looks so un-natural

texaspackerbacker
02-19-2017, 09:00 AM

This has a lot more credibility than the outlandish claims of some in here. The article says he was challenged by Terrell Davis, so I assume it was tested by somebody that knew what they were doing and was well documented. It also shows that the 5.94 was his best time at age 47. He had been doing this for ten years with times as bad as 6.77 at age 37.

Doing the math, 40 yards/120 feet. A 4.5 time is about 27 feet per second. That means 2.7 feet per tenth of a second. So you guys claiming you could do 4.5 or so 40s, you're saying you could stay within 3 or 4 feet for 40 yards of the fastest NFL players?

pbmax
02-19-2017, 09:39 AM
This has a lot more credibility than the outlandish claims of some in here. The article says he was challenged by Terrell Davis, so I assume it was tested by somebody that knew what they were doing and was well documented. It also shows that the 5.94 was his best time at age 47. He had been doing this for ten years with times as bad as 6.77 at age 37.

Doing the math, 40 yards/120 feet. A 4.5 time is about 27 feet per second. That means 2.7 feet per tenth of a second. So you guys claiming you could do 4.5 or so 40s, you're saying you could stay within 3 or 4 feet for 40 yards of the fastest NFL players?

He is running in a suit with dress shoes on.

I am going to bet that wing tips are good for -1 second.

bobblehead
02-19-2017, 02:01 PM

Assuming in sneakers at least, all though I am mildly impressed. I sometimes get stuck doing 3 flights of stairs in a suit and it blows.

As to tex point I would agree if i remember it right. I would say less than 1% of the population could run a 4.50 at their peak.

Now saying Raji and Gilby could outrun most is a stretch, but a Tony Mandrich...probably.

bobblehead
02-19-2017, 02:05 PM

Not the way it works. 40 is about acceleration as Red says. The last 5-10 yards are MUCH faster than the first 5-10. I was an acceleration guy as well. During indoor track I ran the 60 (only 2 meets each year I recall), but outdoor 4 guys beat me in the 100.

bobblehead
02-19-2017, 02:06 PM
I encourage everyone to go out and run the 40 right now. Post your times. I'm running mine in suit though, no way Eisen is gonna one up me dammit.

Joemailman
02-19-2017, 02:42 PM
I encourage everyone to go out and run the 40 right now. Post your times. I'm running mine in suit though, no way Eisen is gonna one up me dammit.

Not with my hamstrings. Unless you want to see a good imitation of a felled deer.

hoosier
02-19-2017, 02:55 PM
I would like to start a Go Fund Me to send Tex to the Carnegie Science Center in Pittsburgh. They have a new, way-cool sports annex where you can, among many other things, run a virtual race against an Olympic sprinter for about the first 20 yards. (Not clear if the sprinter you're racing against is a slow starter like Usain Bolt or a fast starter, slow closer like most of the rest of them). Tex will be surprised to see how close the average healthy person is to an Olympic pace for the first 20. A few tenths of a second, give or take, isn't out of the question.

red
02-19-2017, 06:16 PM

not a chance, i can't imagine how many muscles i'd pull or hips i'd break trying to do that.

as for general population, i think tex said most on here couldn't run under a 5.5 in the prime, not 4.5, i think a decent % could run a 5.5 in their prime if you ever played sports or had a clue how to run without falling down

esoxx
02-19-2017, 08:53 PM
This thread blows.

Pugger
02-20-2017, 08:33 AM

I doubt I could run for 40 yards!! :lol:

Deputy Nutz
02-20-2017, 10:59 AM
My problem is short legs and running in a straight line never did me many favors. The fastest I was ever clocked in the forty was 4.8 and that was in college at 225 pounds. We didn't do much clocking forties at my high school. My junior year at the Badger camp I ran a 4.9, but to be fair to myself everyone was running really slow times. I never ran slower than a 5.6 and that was in 7th grade.

I always liked to think my game film was much faster than any timed run I could muster.

Zool
02-20-2017, 07:56 PM

I'll film it so you can see what middle aged pain and shame looks like forever. I predict 1 knee giving about 25 in.

red
02-28-2017, 09:59 AM
Eddy says the packers are very vocal about wanting him back to his agent

Teamcheez1
02-28-2017, 10:13 AM

I'm not surprised since we have nothing else (no slight to Montgomery).

Joemailman
02-28-2017, 10:54 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/02/28/morning-buzz-lacy-and-packers-talking/98517420/

From Lacy’s interview with Adam Schefter:

“Talking to my agent, the Packers have been very vocal about having me back there. I’m trying not to think about all of that right now. I’m just trying to make sure whether I end up in Green Bay or somewhere, I’m in the best shape or I’m in the best position I can be in personally, so when it’s time for me to contribute to whatever team that it is that they’re getting 100 percent of me.”

texaspackerbacker
02-28-2017, 08:02 PM

I've got nothing against bringing back Lacy - for back up RB pay, and then using him as a back up. I'll take Montgomery and even Michael over him any day, though. I know some people don't think highly of Michael, but I do.