PDA

View Full Version : 2017 NFL Combine

pbmax
03-01-2017, 10:55 AM
Ted PC

Green Bay Packers @packers 48m48 minutes ago
Ted Thompson: We're off to the races. Did some interviews last night. Workouts/medical process next. #NFLCombine

Thompson: Our best intentions will be to sign as many of our own players as we can, keep it together. #NFLCombine

Thompson praising two of his top personnel execs Brian Gutekunst and Eliot Wolf as skilled talent evaluators #Packers

Thompson: Strength of draft/positions changes year to year. We don't pay a lot of attention to what the media thinks. #NFLCombine

Wes Hodkiewicz‏ @WesHod 42m
Thompson said March 9 free-agency deadline is just [an artificial] deadline but #Packers have signed a lot of their guys beforehand. Could happen again

Thompson on Montgomery's move to RB: "He’s embraced it - that’s the one thing that’s sometimes overlooked. He took the bull by the horns."

Green Bay Packers‏ @packers 40m40 minutes ago
Thompson: I think our (former & current) players appreciated the fact that the organization tried its best to keep their own players.

Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 53m53 minutes ago
Thompson said the team is working on free agency at the same time as draft prep. "We've done a lot of our hard work." #Packers

#Packers GM Ted Thompson was asked why he cut Josh Sitton in September: "I’m not talking about people that don’t play for us anymore."

Thompson said he built a relationship with new scout Matt Malaspina during their time in Seattle. He called the hiring a "good investment."

Thompson said he doesn't think the NFC North is appreciated enough. Resurgence of the Lions in recent years is a big part of that. #Packers

Thompson said his best intention is to sign as many of his own free agents as possible "to keep things together." #Packers

Thompson on the combine: "It's a tremendous process that we go through and all 32 teams are able to benefit from it." #Packers

pbmax
03-01-2017, 12:40 PM
M3 PC

Pete Dougherty‏ @PeteDougherty 28m28 minutes ago
MM on David Raih New coaching title (perimeter): he'll be working with other perimeter coaches

Wes Hodkiewicz‏ @WesHod 29m29 minutes ago
McCarthy said off. perimeter coach is a reflection of who'll David Raih will be working with. He'll be assisting me and Edgar Bennett

OFF TO AN AMAZING START!

Green Bay Packers‏ @packers 29m29 minutes ago
McCarthy on David Raih's new title, offensive perimeter coach: He'll work primarily with myself & Edgar Bennett. #NFLCombine

Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 37m37 minutes ago
David Raih, the new "offensive perimeter coach," will wor[k] with McCarthy, Edgar Bennett and Alex Van Pelt to create game plan and schemes.

140 CHARACTERS OR NOT, ADVERBS HELP

Wes Hodkiewicz‏ @WesHod
McCarthy: "I have a lot of love for Nick Perry and what he worked through. Hoping to get a contract worked out with him" #Packers

McCarthy said he visited with Eddie Lacy about a week ago #Packers

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 15m15 minutes ago
According to someone who has seen his foot, Lacy should be healthy for OTAs

Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 36m36 minutes ago
McCarthy said he hopes the #Packers can work out a new contract for OLB Nick Perry after the best season of his career.

Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 30m30 minutes ago
McCarthy said T.J. Lang (hip surgery) is coming along well in recovery but probably won't play until training camp, wherever he ends up.

Wes Hodkiewicz‏Verified account @WesHod 2m2 minutes ago
McCarthy: "Clay Matthews will play inside. He'll play outside. He'll move around. We need to take advantage of his skill set" #Packers

pbmax
03-02-2017, 02:08 PM
They found the leak!

Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 1h1 hour ago
Former Wisconsin RB Corey Clement said a #Packers scout told him the team may draft two tailbacks this year because they are so thin.

Zool
03-02-2017, 02:14 PM
Well they drafted 2 in 2013.

gbgary
03-03-2017, 12:21 PM
watching the linemen drills this morning...they all seem the same. meh

Guiness
03-03-2017, 12:36 PM
They found the leak!

Former Wisconsin RB Corey Clement said a #Packers scout told him the team may draft two tailbacks this year because they are so thin.

Packers are going to draft thin running backs? :huh:

Freak Out
03-03-2017, 12:39 PM
I just like the fact that there is a player in the draft named Taco.

gbgary
03-03-2017, 02:54 PM
too bad we need d so bad cause the mccaffery kid sure is got a lot of praise and extra attention. they had him running wr routes after all the rb stuff was done.

Fritz
03-03-2017, 04:39 PM
They found the leak!

Former Wisconsin RB Corey Clement said a #Packers scout told him the team may draft two tailbacks in the seventh roundthis year because they are so thin.

Is what he means.

ThunderDan
03-03-2017, 06:40 PM
No, no. One 7th rounder and an undrafted free agent.

Pugger
03-04-2017, 07:05 AM
watching the linemen drills this morning...they all seem the same. meh

It is remarkable how light on the feet some of these big guys are, however. That Lamp guy is impressive.

Pugger
03-04-2017, 07:08 AM
too bad we need d so bad cause the mccaffery kid sure is got a lot of praise and extra attention. they had him running wr routes after all the rb stuff was done.

If he was still on the board at #29 I wouldn't complain if we took him. If this happened he most likely would be the BPA. The last time we drafted a position even tho it wasn't one of dire need was in 2005 and that turned out pretty good for us.

pbmax
03-04-2017, 11:14 AM
We have our first player sent home: Alabama’s Reuben Foster

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/18818375/reuben-foster-alabama-crimson-tide-booted-combine-argument

He and hospital worker got in face to face confrontation over waiting for pre-exam.

Robert Klemko @RobertKlemko
Adding some detail to Reuben Foster incident which led to his dismissal from combine, per source...

Foster grew impatient with long line for exams... pulled the 'do you know who I am?' card.

A male hospital employee, unimpressed, told him he would wait like everyone else.

Foster warned the man that he'd put hands on him, and the employee said, simply, Do it.

red
03-04-2017, 12:27 PM
john ross, wr from washington just ran an unofficial 4.22

the current fastest official combine record was chris johnson at 4.24

gbgary
03-04-2017, 02:35 PM
We have our first player sent home: Alabama’s Reuben Foster

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/story/_/id/18818375/reuben-foster-alabama-crimson-tide-booted-combine-argument

He and hospital worker got in face to face confrontation over waiting for pre-exam.

Adding some detail to Reuben Foster incident which led to his dismissal from combine, per source...

Foster grew impatient with long line for exams... pulled the 'do you know who I am?' card.

A male hospital employee, unimpressed, told him he would wait like everyone else.

Foster warned the man that he'd put hands on him, and the employee said, simply, Do it.

sure...and the team that drafts him can simply use direct deposit to send foster's pay checks to the hospital employee in question. lol

gbgary
03-04-2017, 02:36 PM
john ross, wr from washington just ran an unofficial 4.22

the current fastest official combine record was chris johnson at 4.24

impwessive!

pbmax
03-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Michael Cohen‏ @Michael_Cohen13 40s40 seconds ago
Former Wisconsin OLB T.J. Watt said he will have a formal meeting with the #Packers in Indianapolis this week. Borderline first-round pick.

red
03-05-2017, 12:52 PM
not a good combine for alabama line backers

foster his sent home for getting in a fight with a hospital working after the worker wouldn't take care of him before everyone else at the hospital

and tim williams who is projected as a late first rounder admitted to "many" failed drug tests in college

red
03-05-2017, 01:09 PM
jabrill peppers just ran a 4.47

he says he's a safety, but the nfl is making him work out with the line backers

he also measured in at 2 inches shorter then he was lister, just like calvin pryor a few years back

red
03-05-2017, 01:11 PM
TJ watt- 4.71, and looked like he ran out of gas at 30 yards

Joemailman
03-05-2017, 02:46 PM
TJ watt- 4.71, and looked like he ran out of gas at 30 yards

That's really bad if you're a safety. However, if you're an OLB, I think the first 20 is more important. Explosiveness over long speed. I see him listed at 4.69 which is 12th among LB's. Other than Peppers (is he really a LB?), the best time among LB's was 4.58.

Clay Matthews ran a 4.62. His 10 yard time of 1.49 at the time was the fastest ever for a player 240 LB#. Any word on Watt's start?

Other Numbers:

Matthews weighed 240. Watt was 252.

Watt tied with Peppers for best broad jump among LB's.

Watt tied for 2nd best vertical jump among LB's.

red
03-05-2017, 03:09 PM
nothing wrong with that time for a LB

i think 90% of the guys in that group ran between a 4.66 and 4.73 or 4

so watt was right smack in the middle. but like i said, it looks like he ran out of gas. can he go sideline to sideline?

bobblehead
03-05-2017, 03:21 PM

he also measured in at 2 inches shorter then he was lister, just like calvin pryor a few years back

Peppers is closer to Nick Collins than Clay Mathews. Just my 2 cents. I could see him playing ILB like Ryan Shazier, but I think Safety is more a fit for him at only 5'11"

red
03-05-2017, 04:52 PM
peppers weighed in at 213 pounds (he was listed at 205)

shazier weighed in at 237

big difference

i could see peppers doing the morgan burnett hybrid type thing, but theres no way hes gonna be a full time LB

peppers and collin are very close, both were 5'11, collins was 206, peppers at 213 and similar 40s

i'd take him if he somehow falls to us. kid shits talent, he's got so much of it

Bretsky
03-05-2017, 07:30 PM
I'd be ok with Peppers ....or TJ Watt in Green n Gold

Pugger
03-05-2017, 11:51 PM

He will be working out with the other DBs tomorrow.

Zool
03-06-2017, 08:23 AM
peppers weighed in at 213 pounds (he was listed at 205)

shazier weighed in at 237

big difference

i could see peppers doing the morgan burnett hybrid type thing, but theres no way hes gonna be a full time LB

peppers and collin are very close, both were 5'11, collins was 206, peppers at 213 and similar 40s

i'd take him if he somehow falls to us. kid shits talent, he's got so much of it

Soemthing about Peppers gives me pause. I can't see him putting on 25 pounds and keeping his quickness.

Deputy Nutz
03-06-2017, 08:47 AM
Pretty decent day for edge rushers and I am sure the Packers are going to have some options if they are looking to improve QB pressure in 2017 with a first round draft pick.

Haason Reddick flashes his speed hitting a 4.52 in the forty at 237 pounds. I am not sure this guy falls to the Packers but he has the instincts on film, a quality showing at the Senior Bowl, and now the Combine numbers to back up a 1st round selection. He could play inside or outside.

Takkarist McKinley listed at 252 pounds and blazed a 4.59 forty. He is another guy that was popping up in mock drafts late in the first round but with his times at the Combine he might not be available to the Packers.

Zach Cunningham from Vandy ran decent and showed decent at the combine but he is more of an olb in a 4-3 or an inside guy in a 3-4. He would need ten more pounds to hold up as a OLB in a 3-4 defense and his 16 reps in the bench demonstrates that he needs to get stronger, but he did nothing to tarnish a selection in the top 40 of the 2017 draft.

Ryan Anderson from Alabama was listed at 252 pounds and ran a 4.78. I will take those numbers as an edge player along with with his consistency on film.

TJ Watt was mentioned earlier in this thread and he did everything he needed to do at the Combine. I don't think he is a finished product by any means but at this point he would be an intriguing first round selection.

Vince Biegel demonstrated that his foot was healed and did a nice job running a 4.67 and posting a solid vertical. He solidified getting his named called in the 2017 draft. He probably moved up some draft board by at least a round, maybe two. To be honest I would rather draft Biegel in the 4th round then draft Watt in the first round.

Tyus Bowser from Houston isn't a name I have been hearing a lot in terms of contention of being a first round pick but his film is pretty good and his combine numbers are pretty damn good. He listed at 6'3" 247 pounds and ran a 4.65 forty and a 37.5" vert. Watching film on him he is fluid in coverage and does a really nice job of using his hands during his pass rush. His speed off the line doesn't startle you, but he does a nice job of recognizing plays and using pretty good tech. He is a guy I have my eye on.

Jordan Willis from K-St was the fastest listed defensive end at the combine with a 4.53 in the forty, and a huge 39" vert. I watch his film against Texas and I didn't see those numbers translate to the field. He is a hand down defensive end and would be another tweener in a 3-4, not explosive enough and several times was swallowed up by a offensive tackle.

pbmax
03-06-2017, 09:08 AM
Maybe Ted comes away with the feeling that Peppers is a must have talent if available at 29, but safety is the one position I have limited concerns about. Safety and most tackle actually.

Deputy Nutz
03-06-2017, 09:27 AM
Derek Barnett didn't help himself with a move to outside linebacker running a 4.88 forty.

Charles Harris was also a bit slow with a 4.85 in the forty. These times are not bad for a defensive end but for a move outside I think the specifically for the Packers they are going to get burned again with getting a one dimensional edge rusher that will take more time to develop than actually drafting a player with the instincts to play as an outside linebacker

Deputy Nutz
03-06-2017, 09:30 AM
Maybe Ted comes away with the feeling that Peppers is a must have talent if available at 29, but safety is the one position I have limited concerns about. Safety and most tackle actually.

He is a talent, but where is the defensive fit? He is an upgrade talent wise for the Packer defense. I could see this just being the most important aspect of this draft is just finding better talent and finding a position to upgrade, but he isn't an edge rusher, and he isn't a cornerback.

pbmax
03-06-2017, 09:35 AM
I could see Watt or similar if you don't resign Perry.

gbgary
03-06-2017, 11:09 AM
why not resign perry AND draft watt (or some other kick ass olb)? lateral moves don't get us anywhere.

Pugger
03-06-2017, 12:01 PM
It looks like this DB class is as good as advertised. This is the right year to need a CB...

pbmax
03-06-2017, 12:08 PM
why not resign perry AND draft watt (or some other kick ass olb)? lateral moves don't get us anywhere.

There are other needs and options. Jones and Peppers could be signed for Perry's contract. Frees up money for Lang or Tretter.

Late first round ass rush is a crap shoot. You can find it but busts at better than 50%. Like a CB there better depending on how things break.

gbgary
03-06-2017, 12:40 PM
There are other needs and options. Jones and Peppers could be signed for Perry's contract. Frees up money for Lang or Tretter.

Late first round pass rush is a crap shoot. You can find it but busts at better than 50%. Like a CB there better depending on how things break.

but perry is better than either one of those guys.

pbmax
03-06-2017, 12:43 PM

Yeah, but more expensive an Jones plus Peppers gives you some depth and less injury worries.

I honestly don't know if I would sign Perry to the deal he is about to get. Good chance at buyer's remorse if he continues to get injured. Matthews in that place now.

red
03-06-2017, 02:54 PM

when healthy

which is about 10% of his time in the nfl, so far

gbgary
03-06-2017, 06:08 PM
when healthy

which is about 10% of his time in the nfl, so far

his hand got stepped on.

red
03-06-2017, 07:33 PM
his hand got stepped on.

yup, somehow in a contract year he was able to play through an injury for once

think he'll play next year if he gets the same injury?

gbgary
03-07-2017, 10:19 AM
yup, somehow in a contract year he was able to play through an injury for once

think he'll play next year if he gets the same injury?

yes. it's obvious this locker room has some strong personalities that understand where the Packers are. what it takes to advance. several guys played hurt last year. he's coming of age. he's gotten better every year. now let him go? no. Packers have to get better, not worse. who'd you replace him with?

pbmax
03-08-2017, 10:39 AM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18847089/why-take-combine-numbers-grain-salt

The Boldin Paradox: Why the Combine doesn't produce outright numbers that correlate to success in an NFL career.

Deputy Nutz
03-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Holy Balls! Looking at the combine numbers on some of these cornerbacks and they are very intriguing to say the least. There is speed and size throughout this draft class. The Packers or any other team that is in need of a outside coverage should have some spittle at the edge of their mouths, you Ted already does.

Guys that stand out per their numbers at the combine

Jaylen Myrick minnesota
5'10" 200lbs
4.28 40
37.5 vert
If the Packers don't want to spend a first round pick on a corner he might be available late in the second round but he probably isn't going to last to the end of the third round. He excels in man coverage and his knock is his lack of height. He might fit well as a inside cover guy. his 3 cone was a bit average just over 7 seconds. He is also a return guy. Not a big impact in the run game, sort of got man handled by bigger receivers but he plays alot of man coverage

Fabian Moreau UCLA
6'0" 206lbs
4.35 40
38" vert
He is a man on man defender, he looks good covering the outside receiver. Not much in terms of run support. I think he is a better football player than Myrick. Reads routes really well, good instincts. Packers would probably have to take him in the first round

Kevin King Washington
6-3 200
4.43 40
39.5 vert
Great speed and jump, under 4 seconds on his shuttle. His numbers and height are the first thing you notice and you really want to like him. He doesn't have the greatest instincts, and he is pretty grabby with his hands. he seems unsure of himself when in zone, and his instincts hinder him at times when he is man coverage.

Ahkello Witherspoon Colorado
6-3 198
4.45 40
40.5" vert
This guy on film can run with John Ross. He is a crap tackler and doesn't want to partake in the run game, but he has the height, speed, and jumping ability to play the outside and match up against bigger wide receiver in the NFL. Witherspoon could fit nicely in Green Bay but the Packers would have to use a 1st round pick to solidify him coming to Green Bay. Some team could scoop him up in the second round because of his size and jumping ability. That type of combination doesn't last long in drafts, teams are willing to take a risk to protect against the jump ball down field.

Brian Allen Utah
6-3 215
4.48 40
34.5" vert
Can't find a highlight or game film on him on youtube, but I am intrigued with his size and speed. His vertical jump is about average or below but the height helps out

KYPack
03-10-2017, 07:11 PM
Good job, Nutz

Everybody is raving about this year's CB draft class.

MB we can snag one of 'em.

Fritz
03-11-2017, 07:58 AM
One? Let's grab one at the high end of the draft, and then go get another one in the fifth round. And maybe this time not guys who played lacrosse last year.

BZnDallas
03-11-2017, 09:40 AM
One? Let's grab one at the high end of the draft, and then go get another one in the fifth round. And maybe this time not guys who played lacrosse last year.

Agreed! One in the 1st/2nd and back again in the 4th/5th. Unless they bring House back, then i'd be ok with a 2nd/3rd or 4th being spent on one. Still think when healthy R&R can be solid.