PDA

View Full Version : Would House Be Enough?

pbmax
03-07-2017, 10:38 PM
If the Packers land Davon House, and they have spoken, is he enough to restock the CB cabinet? Or do they need more?

Cheesehead Craig
03-07-2017, 10:41 PM
I think they need at least one more vet CB. Too much youth and not enough vet knowledge or leadership back there.

Joemailman
03-07-2017, 11:26 PM
House should not be looked at as a starter. He was never really a starter in Green Bay before except when guys were hurt. He can be a good role player who can be effective against big, physical WR's. This is a good year for CB's in the draft. Draft one.

Pugger
03-08-2017, 12:12 AM
He isn't the answer but if we get him back that wouldn't be the worst thing. We let him walk, get a comp pick and then he comes back without us losing a pick. Not a bad scenario. If he returns Ted still has to either draft one or sign a FA - or both.

smuggler
03-08-2017, 12:45 AM
It's kind of an ideal TT signing. Knows the D. Cheap. No comp pick penalty. Decent player.

Zool
03-08-2017, 08:34 AM
I need an option D, sign someone and draft someone. The secondary has been average to bad for too long. Wouldn't it be nice if it were a strength again?

pbmax
03-08-2017, 09:06 AM
House should not be looked at as a starter. He was never really a starter in Green Bay before except when guys were hurt. He can be a good role player who can be effective against big, physical WR's. This is a good year for CB's in the draft. Draft one.

But would Gunter and Randall start ahead of House?

pbmax
03-08-2017, 09:57 AM
I was going to look up how House did in 2015, when he started and see of the Jacksonville D was much worse that its 2016 mediocre against the pass ranking.

However this from Rob Demovsky, just adds more confusion to his release:

Sure, House struggled last season in Jacksonville and was benched after four games, but he did have a strong season in 2015 when he set a single-season franchise record with 23 pass breakups. What's more, House is still relatively young -- he doesn't turn 28 until July 10 -- and the same coaching staff that worked with him in Green Bay from 2011-14 remains intact.

I am beginning to think he punched a coach.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/37775/a-davon-house-packers-reunion-makes-perfect-sense

pbmax
03-08-2017, 09:59 AM
His demotion was DeAndre Hopkins related.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jacksonville-jaguars-davon-house-benched-against-buffalo-102215

Hopkins caught two fourth-quarter touchdowns passes while defended by House in Houston’s 31-20 win, as part of a 10-catch, 148-yard day. Hopkins was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance.

“In the secondary, if a guy gets behind you, there’s no excuse,’’ Bradley told reporters on Monday. “If you lose your eyes, there’s no excuse. You have to be able to do those things, that’s part of being in the league. It’s playing that complete game.’’

MadScientist
03-08-2017, 10:05 AM
Rollins and Randall weren't good enough, and Gunter isn't fast enough. Get House and draft a player, and then maybe there will be enough back there to do the job. Might have to be flexible in who starts, based on match-ups. If the other team has a slow crafty possession receiver as a #2, go ahead and put Gunter on him, otherwise save him for the 3rd or 4th receiver.

Upnorth
03-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Sign him and draft at least 1 cb. He isnt the #1 but is somewhere between 3-5 which is what you want for depth. m

red
03-08-2017, 11:06 AM
I said awhile back that we need 2 vet cb

We don't have the time to sit around and wait for a rookie to get up to speed.

House is a good start IMO, but we still need a #1

pbmax
03-08-2017, 11:53 AM
I said awhile bCk that we need 2 vet check

We don't have the time to sit around and wait for a rookie to get up to speed.

House is a good start IMO, but we still need a #1

Did you borrow woodbuck's keyboard?

red
03-08-2017, 12:03 PM
God damn phones and their autocorrect

gbgary
03-09-2017, 11:30 AM
no. he's not enough. they need a stud back there. he's depth at this point.

RashanGary
03-09-2017, 11:33 AM
This is a very deep corner draft. House and a draft pick in the first three picks along with the health and growth of Randall in particular would be enough to be significantly better than last year.

Tony Oday
03-09-2017, 12:29 PM
AJ Bouye, please sign the top damn guy and stop messing around. House too as a Dime back.

Rutnstrut
03-09-2017, 12:43 PM
This is a very deep corner draft. House and a draft pick in the first three picks along with the health and growth of Randall in particular would be enough to be significantly better than last year.

House and a pile of rocks would more than likely be an improvement.

Rutnstrut
03-09-2017, 12:45 PM
AJ Bouye, please sign the top damn guy and stop messing around. House too as a Dime back.

Not going to happen, Bouye is going to Jacksonville. TT would never bring in a big, flashy player early in FA anyway.

esoxx
03-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Where's the poll response option of "have you lost your damn mind?"

Bretsky
03-09-2017, 06:42 PM
agree TT won't go with a big CB
I kind of think he'll ink house to a team friendly deal.
but that's not enough

pbmax
03-09-2017, 10:04 PM
How about Peanut Tillman a year plus removed from surgery?

Bretsky
03-10-2017, 06:26 AM
How about Peanut Tillman a year plus removed from surgery?

I know others bashed Peanut; but I've hear on NFL network...great guy...leader...locker room guy.

I'd bless the signing for sure if hit talent is still there but due to his age it doesn't seem like a TT signing because he's take a roster spot of the first year youthful riff raft on our roster bottom

But he's not the starter type anymore IMO

Fritz
03-10-2017, 06:30 AM
House should not be looked at as a starter. He was never really a starter in Green Bay before except when guys were hurt. He can be a good role player who can be effective against big, physical WR's. This is a good year for CB's in the draft. Draft two or three.

FIFY

3irty1
03-10-2017, 07:54 AM
I think House can be looked at as a starter. His last year in GB he was probably our best coverman. His first year in Jacksonville he started all year and had a QBR against of 80 as the primary guy. This is a chance to buy low on a guy who was priced out of GB and is not far removed from success.

He might not make us whole after losing Sam Shields but with House + a rookie I'd feel like there were a few different ways we could end up with a strong secondary in 2017.

HarveyWallbangers
03-10-2017, 08:52 AM
I think House can be looked at as a starter. His last year in GB he was probably our best coverman. His first year in Jacksonville he started all year and had a QBR against of 80 as the primary guy. This is a chance to buy low on a guy who was priced out of GB and is not far removed from success.

He might not make us whole after losing Sam Shields but with House + a rookie I'd feel like there were a few different ways we could end up with a strong secondary in 2017.

I think you could look at him as a solid third corner. In today's NFL that is a starter. I have hope that Randall will be humbled and rebound. I'm not a big Rollins guy. Like Hyde and Gunter, I think his speed will always limit him. It's a CB-rich draft. I'd be satisfied with this group.

High Draft Pick
Randall
Solid Veteran CB (House fits the bill for me)
Rollins
Gunter
Hawkins and Dorleant (two athletic, young guys with potential)

woodbuck27
03-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Did you borrow woodbuck's keyboard?

I think I am being insulted.

No I am not ... Fuck You ! :-)

woodbuck27
03-10-2017, 11:18 AM
This is easily the most frustrating time for many Packer fans like me who are simply frustrated with the TT way and bringing in a FA.

The day that TT is replaced as Packer GM is the day I begin to have some real hope again and another Green Bay Packer Super Bowl win.

Bossman641
03-10-2017, 01:15 PM
I was going to look up how House did in 2015, when he started and see of the Jacksonville D was much worse that its 2016 mediocre against the pass ranking.

However this from Rob Demovsky, just adds more confusion to his release:

I am beginning to think he punched a coach.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/37775/a-davon-house-packers-reunion-makes-perfect-sense

Bradley got fired. Perhaps House does not fit in with the new regime's scheme? Still doesn't answer his lack of playing time this year however.

KYPack
03-10-2017, 06:59 PM
Bradley got fired. Perhaps House does not fit in with the new regime's scheme? Still doesn't answer his lack of playing time this year however.
think it was political.

House had a solid first game.

3 games later, they benched him to play "Princess Akumura".

They signed the Prince in the off-season and I think the mgt pressured Bradley to play the new guy.

To me, that's cool for the team that signs House.

He's got that much more tread on his tires.

House is a C+ to B- kind of player, but is a better answer than some green kid.

pbmax
03-10-2017, 10:50 PM
Best thing about House is that he might be limited somewhat, but what he does well, be big, play press, is exactly what Capers has shown he likes to use.

Having Hayward around last year might have helped that zone, but he is an odd fit as a stater in Caper's man.

House, if still at a relatively high level, gives Capers a presence he needs and will use to good effect.

Fritz
03-11-2017, 07:51 AM
So now that the Cook question has been resolved (and Ted surprises everyone!), this solidifies one part of the cap equation and allows this team to go out and get House. Then they can play around with whether Connor Barwin is worth a look-see, since that's what so many Packerrats want. I don't enough to say whether this would be a good move or whether it's that old urge for fans to believe that big name = guarenteed production.